PDA

View Full Version : Head Coach Bill Snyder

AKBison
07-30-2013, 04:07 AM
Lost in all the pre game smack is that when we take the field against K-State the Bison will be facing one of the greatest college Coaches of all time. A win in Manhattan would be a huge notch in the belt for Bohl and I am sure he is stoked about the opportunity. What the guy has done there is nothing short of amazing. In the modern era (post wwII) he has led K-State to its first bowl game, first bowl win, first conference championship and two number one rankings in the AP poll. He basically saved an athletics program that was on the verge of being thrown out of the old Big 8. Yes, it was that bad. Their overall record before Snyder was 299-510.

Now I am no K-State apologist and I have a very special hate for the Power Cat. However, it is hard not to respect Coach Snyder as he has won with class, graduated his players, all while not cheating.

MNLonghorn10
07-30-2013, 04:14 AM
fuck em. lets kick their asses.

NWNDBison
07-30-2013, 04:17 AM
Lost in all the pre game smack is that when we take the field against K-State the Bison will be facing one of the greatest college Coaches of all time. A win in Manhattan would be a huge notch in the belt for Bohl and I am sure he is stoked about the opportunity. What the guy has done there is nothing short of amazing. He has led K-State to its first bowl game, first bowl win, first conference championship and two number one rankings in the AP poll. He basically saved an athletics program that was on the verge of being thrown out of the old Big 8. Yes, it was that bad.

Now I am no K-State apologist and I have a very special hate for the Power Cat. However, it is hard not to respect Coach Snyder as be has won with class, graduated his players, all while not cheating.

Here, here!!! ^^^this!^^^

KSUfanPittSUalum
07-30-2013, 06:11 AM
In the 4 years prior to Snyder's arrival K-State went 3-40-1. In the 2 years prior K-State went 0-21-1. His first year K-State went 1-10.

One minor correction. K-State's first bowl game was in 1982 under Jim Dickey. They lost the Independence Bowl to Wisconsin 3-14.

344Johnson
07-30-2013, 06:14 AM

Yes. While it won't happen, I'd love nothing more than such a beatdown that their fans tell the old man its time to go back into retirement.

KSBisonFan
07-30-2013, 12:46 PM
Yes. While it won't happen, I'd love nothing more than such a beatdown that their fans tell the old man its time to go back into retirement.

This is even dumber than some of your Notre Dame statements which I didn't think was possible.

MNLonghorn10
07-30-2013, 12:53 PM
344johnson gets it!

moosbah
07-30-2013, 02:17 PM

Brilliant.

CalBison97
07-30-2013, 02:23 PM
Lost in all the pre game smack is that when we take the field against K-State the Bison will be facing one of the greatest college Coaches of all time. A win in Manhattan would be a huge notch in the belt for Bohl and I am sure he is stoked about the opportunity. What the guy has done there is nothing short of amazing. In the modern era (post wwII) he has led K-State to its first bowl game, first bowl win, first conference championship and two number one rankings in the AP poll. He basically saved an athletics program that was on the verge of being thrown out of the old Big 8. Yes, it was that bad. Their overall record before Snyder was 299-510.

Now I am no K-State apologist and I have a very special hate for the Power Cat. However, it is hard not to respect Coach Snyder as he has won with class, graduated his players, all while not cheating.

If there's one thing I have learned about college sports (and living through the steroid era for that matter), I wouldn't proclaim ANY program to be 100% clean.

bisonmike2
07-30-2013, 02:53 PM
If there's one thing I have learned about college sports (and living through the steroid era for that matter), I wouldn't proclaim ANY program to be 100% clean.

I was going to say the same thing. The last line should read

Snyder as he has won with class, graduated his players, all while not getting caught cheating.

Maybe he runs a clean program. Maybe he runs a program that looks clean.

MNLonghorn10
07-30-2013, 02:53 PM
Brilliant.

Why the purple...purple represents all that is wrong..except for the Vikings

344Johnson
07-30-2013, 03:55 PM
This is even dumber than some of your Notre Dame statements which I didn't think was possible.

Specifically stated it won't happen. And if NDSU beat them down ala Central Michigan 44-17, you don't think some of their fans would start to wonder?

Kansas State U
07-30-2013, 04:03 PM
[/B]3.44" Johnson;748176]Specifically stated it won't happen. And if NDSU beat them down ala Central Michigan 44-17, you don't think some of their fans would start to wonder?

yeah.....that could happen........:rofl:

344Johnson
07-30-2013, 04:08 PM

question. why are you on an FCS team's board? If K-State really is God's gift to the lower Great Plains shouldn't you be on some BCS boards?

Hammerhead
07-30-2013, 04:10 PM
It could happen. I know K-State > Colorado State, but we spotted the Rams 7 points in the first 90 seconds of the game and went on to win 22-7.
http://espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=322520036

Kansas State U
07-30-2013, 04:24 PM
question. why are you on an FCS team's board? If K-State really is God's gift to the lower Great Plains shouldn't you be on some BCS boards?

Because your team just happens to be #1 on the schedule. If it was U Mass or Louisiana Lafayette.....I'd be there. Dumb luck on your part, I guess.

Bison 4 Life
07-30-2013, 04:44 PM

Since you're here, I'll let you in on a little secret. Your team isn't going be as good as you think this year and my team is going to be better than you expect.

You're not Ohio State, hell you're not even Michigan State.

tmcats
07-30-2013, 05:00 PM
Since you're here, I'll let you in on a little secret. Your team isn't going be as good as you think this year and my team is going to be better than you expect.

well, two of your facts are correct.

Kansas State U
07-30-2013, 07:10 PM

Coach Bohl.....is that you?

Hey coach, you should probably get on the phone with that nut from Massey Ratings and let them know there's no way that Kansas State goes 11-1 with their only loss being a 3 pt. loss at pre-season Big 12 favorite Oklahoma State (http://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=3731&s=199231).

That simply can't be right.

Kansas State U
07-30-2013, 07:26 PM

Bison 4 Life.....I need to apologize. Up untill a few seconds ago I had no idea that you live in Lawrence, KS. Had I known you were both a NDSU fan (grad?) as well as a resident of that perennial football powerhouse, KU, I would have given you an even larger dose of crap than I have thus far. Let me ask you this.....have you lived in that liberal cesspool long enough to have become a t-shirt KU basketball fan? I'm guessing yes.

loudsilverado
07-30-2013, 07:28 PM
I can't wait until we kick the shit out of KSU.

Bison 4 Life
07-30-2013, 07:33 PM
Bison 4 Life.....I need to apologize. Up untill a few seconds ago I had no idea that you live in Lawrence, KS. Had I known you were both a NDSU fan (grad?) as well as a resident of that perennial football powerhouse, KU, I would have given you an even larger dose of crap than I have thus far. Let me ask you this.....have you lived in that liberal cesspool long enough to have become a t-shirt KU basketball fan? I'm guessing yes.

I've lived here 3 days. Dr. Mrs. Bison 4 Life is a new professor there. I'll probably get more into KU sports than I did Ohio State where we just left, both considerably more nationally recognizable than KSU

Ask anyone, it's probably become MORE liberal since I got here.

BisonJD
07-30-2013, 07:42 PM

AAAAND...here comes little brother syndrome right on cue.

Kansas State U
07-30-2013, 07:43 PM
I've lived here 3 days. Dr. Mrs. Bison 4 Life is a new professor there. I'll probably get more into KU sports than I did Ohio State where we just left, both considerably more nationally recognizable than KSU

Ask anyone, it's probably become MORE liberal since I got here.

In all seriousness....congrats on your wife's new job. It's a good school.

Bison 4 Life
07-30-2013, 07:54 PM
In all seriousness....congrats on your wife's new job. It's a good school.

Thank you very much. I am already liking the area.

LynchMob42
07-30-2013, 08:04 PM
Coach Bohl.....is that you?

Hey coach, you should probably get on the phone with that nut from Massey Ratings and let them know there's no way that Kansas State goes 11-1 with their only loss being a 3 pt. loss at pre-season Big 12 favorite Oklahoma State (http://www.masseyratings.com/team.php?t=3731&s=199231).

That simply can't be right.

Hey! We only use Sagarin on this website!

KSBisonFan
07-30-2013, 08:06 PM
Specifically stated it won't happen. And if NDSU beat them down ala Central Michigan 44-17, you don't think some of their fans would start to wonder?

NOPE. Even the Most Interesting Man in the World has a curfew to meet for Snyder!

http://gaia.adage.com/images/bin/image/x-large/dosequis071509.jpg

KC Bison
07-30-2013, 08:14 PM
I want to beat K-State but there is no way this will be any kind of beat-down of Coach Synder. He will have his team absolutely ready for us.

Kansas State U
07-30-2013, 08:14 PM
AAAAND...here comes little brother syndrome right on cue.

Ken....is that you?

Are you to make it back to Lawrence to witness, per Charlie Weis, that "pile of crap" this year?

reformedUNDfan
07-30-2013, 09:39 PM
I want to beat K-State but there is no way this will be any kind of beat-down of Coach Synder. He will have his team absolutely ready for us.

you mean like how he was absolutely ready for eastern kentucky?

gotts
07-31-2013, 08:16 PM
Ken....is that you?

Are you to make it back to Lawrence to witness, per Charlie Weis, that "pile of crap" this year?

I wonder how many tickets an eating competition between Charlie Weis and Mark Mangino would sell?

Tatanka
07-31-2013, 08:28 PM
I wonder how many tickets an eating competition between Charlie Weis and Mark Mangino would sell?Mangino would eat all his food, then eat Weis. And then anyone in the front row that is too slow to escape. Now, a competition between Mangino and Rob Port, that I would pay to see.

westnodak93bison
07-31-2013, 09:13 PM
I know Snyder is a good coach but some act like he is a cross between Bill Belichick and Vince Lombardi.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

SlickVic
07-31-2013, 09:27 PM
I know Snyder is a good coach but some act like he is a cross between Bill Belichick and Vince Lombardi.

Lol I always love that 1...I personally long for the days of ron prince I prolly hit my biggest pay day ever bettin on j freeman and company when they upset texas that 1 year...im pretty sure the dude that tipped me off on that was some how affiliated with the mob...that dude was money tho to bad my candy ass cut ties with him id prolly have a couple 13 14 million in the bank by now but I guess they say better safe then sorry when in doubt always take the safe route

Bison 4 Life
07-31-2013, 09:39 PM

This.

His season average is 7.7 wins/year.

He is judged by how awful the program has been without him but it is slightly above average with him.

BadlandsBison
07-31-2013, 10:28 PM
Lol I always love that 1...I personally long for the days of ron prince I prolly hit my biggest pay day ever bettin on j freeman and company when they upset texas that 1 year...im pretty sure the dude that tipped me off on that was some how affiliated with the mob...that dude was money tho to bad my candy ass cut ties with him id prolly have a couple 13 14 million in the bank by now but I guess they say better safe then sorry when in doubt always take the safe route

Been there man. I talked to an Italian once

MNLonghorn10
07-31-2013, 10:45 PM

Jordy Nelson is one of my most hated people on earth.

OnagaCat
07-31-2013, 10:45 PM
This.

He is judged by how awful the program has been without him but it is slightly above average with him.

So the multiple National Coach of the Year awards were all incorrect? The media and his coaching peers are clueless but a fan of an FCS school knows better?

M'kay..............

KSBisonFan
07-31-2013, 10:46 PM
Jordy Nelson is one of my most hated people on earth.

You should tell him that at the game.....he's planning on being there.

KSUfanPittSUalum
07-31-2013, 11:57 PM
This.

Bison 4 Life has a slight math error. Coach Snyder has 170 wins over 21 seasons as head coach. That would work out to be 8.1 wins per year. And it's really hard to hold that first season against him as he did not have his players in place. They did win their first game in about 2.5 seasons. K-State went 1-10 that first year. So if you take that first season off, you get 169 wins over 20 seasons or 8.45 wins per year.

Bison 4 Life is correct in his statement about K-State being really bad when he was hired. When Snyder was hired at K-State for the first time on November 24, 1988, he took over a program that had a cumulative record of 299–510 (.370) in 93 years of play, which was easily the most losses of any team in Division I-A at the time. The school had been to only one bowl game (the 1982 Independence Bowl), had not won a conference title since 1934 and had enjoyed four winning seasons in the previous 44 years (including two in the previous 34 years). The program had also not won a game since October 1986, going 0-26-1 in that time.

Prior to Snyder's first season in 1989, Sports Illustrated published an article about Kansas State football entitled "Futility U," which labeled the school "America's most hapless team".

Snyder's first tenure at Kansas State is still considered one of the most successful rebuilding projects in collegiate history. In recognition of his rebuilding work, Hall of Fame football coach Barry Switzer once stated, "He's not the coach of the year, he's not the coach of the decade, he's the coach of the century."

SlickVic
08-01-2013, 12:39 AM
Bison 4 Life has a slight math error. Coach Snyder has 170 wins over 21 seasons as head coach. That would work out to be 8.1 wins per year. And it's really hard to hold that first season against him as he did not have his players in place. They did win their first game in about 2.5 seasons. K-State went 1-10 that first year. So if you take that first season off, you get 169 wins over 20 seasons or 8.45 wins per year.

Bison 4 Life is correct in his statement about K-State being really bad when he was hired. When Snyder was hired at K-State for the first time on November 24, 1988, he took over a program that had a cumulative record of 299–510 (.370) in 93 years of play, which was easily the most losses of any team in Division I-A at the time. The school had been to only one bowl game (the 1982 Independence Bowl), had not won a conference title since 1934 and had enjoyed four winning seasons in the previous 44 years (including two in the previous 34 years). The program had also not won a game since October 1986, going 0-26-1 in that time.

Prior to Snyder's first season in 1989, Sports Illustrated published an article about Kansas State football entitled "Futility U," which labeled the school "America's most hapless team".

Snyder's first tenure at Kansas State is still considered one of the most successful rebuilding projects in collegiate history. In recognition of his rebuilding work, Hall of Fame football coach Barry Switzer once stated, "He's not the coach of the year, he's not the coach of the decade, he's the coach of the century."

Barry switzers also a bootleggers boy who paid his babysitters slash starting quarterbacks a hundred dollers an hour straight up cash homey

KSUfanPittSUalum
08-01-2013, 01:13 AM
Homey I may be, but facts are facts. I am not a big Switzer fan, but he is still a Hall of Fame coach with 3 Div I A National Championships.

BTW, I am a bootleggers son myself. My dad ran moonshine during prohibition.

Bison 4 Life
08-02-2013, 03:01 PM

I miscounted the seasons but it's still pretty much there. Funny you mention Barry Switzer because you only need to go one state south to get a coach with almost the same numbers in half as many seasons. Do you talk about LHC Bob Stoops too?

moosbah
08-02-2013, 03:13 PM
This.

You forgot to mention that he wins that many games having to recruit in between two of the most storied football programs in college football (Oklahoma and Nebraska) and he absolutely owns the Longhorns who have WAY better talent on a yearly basis. Any hating on Snyder is purely asinine. Is he the second coming of Christ, no, but he's undoubtedly one of the best college coaches of all time. I think living in Larry is beginning to wear off on you.

Bison 4 Life
08-02-2013, 03:30 PM
You forgot to mention that he wins that many games having to recruit in between two of the most storied football programs in college football (Oklahoma and Nebraska) and he absolutely owns the Longhorns who have WAY better talent on a yearly basis. Any hating on Snyder is purely asinine. Is he the second coming of Christ, no, but he's undoubtedly one of the best college coaches of all time. I think living in Larry is beginning to wear off on you.

Nobody is hating on Snyder but deifying him is also silly. He is a good coach who has created an above average program out of nothing. That's it.

KSUfanPittSUalum
08-02-2013, 03:45 PM
I miscounted the seasons but it's still pretty much there. Funny you mention Barry Switzer because you only need to go one state south to get a coach with almost the same numbers in half as many seasons. Do you talk about LHC Bob Stoops too?

I agree that most of Bill Snyder's Legendary status is relative to what the K-State program was before he arrived.

Snyder has held the head coaching position at Kansas State longer than any other coach, and his 170 career wins are more than his 11 predecessors at K-State won from 1935 to 1988 combined. He is far and away the winningest coach in Kansas State history (no other coach has crossed the 40-win mark). During his tenure, K-State has produced 33 AP All-Americans, 42 NFL Draft picks, and 46 first-team academic All-Americans.

Yes, Bob Stoops has done well at Oklahoma since he left K-State where he was Co-Defensive coordinator (spent time at Florida as Defensive Coordinator just before being hired by OU).

Bob Stoops takes Snyder's Blueprint to OU:

In terms of architecting a winning football program, Stoops owes a lot of his tricks of the trade to the seven years he spent working on the sidelines under Snyder at K-State. But the Stoops and Snyder connection goes much further back than their time together in the "Little Apple", Manhattan, Kansas. Stoops played under Hayden Fry at the University of Iowa in the early 80s, where Snyder served as Fry's right-hand man on the offensive side of the ball. After his playing days, Stoops served as a grad assistant at Iowa before a one year stint on Kent State's staff. When Snyder took the job at Kansas State prior to the 1989 season, he brought in Bob as a defensive back coach. Stoops was later promoted to Co-Defensive Coordinator (Jim Leavitt was the other Co-Defensive Coordinator), and played a pivotal role in what many consider the greatest college turnaround ever at Kansas State in the early 90's. He was the defensive mastermind and fiery presence on the sideline complimenting Snyder's masterful game planning on the offensive end.

OnagaCat
08-02-2013, 09:46 PM
Nobody is hating on Snyder but deifying him is also silly. He is a good coach who has created an above average program out of nothing. That's it.

So much hate. Sad...............

Bison 4 Life
08-02-2013, 09:50 PM

You're the dude trolling our board. Call it what you want, it matters not.

westnodak93bison
08-02-2013, 09:59 PM

No hate. If you would just say the Bison are gonna win and Bohl is better than Snyder we would be all good.

onbison09
08-03-2013, 05:06 AM
Hey! We only use rankings when they support our facts just like every fan base!

Fixed it for you.

onbison09
08-03-2013, 05:09 AM
If K-State was in the Big 10, I'm guessing they would have more titles. Especially recently.

Also, Bill Synder coached my alma mater (North Texas) with Hayden Fry.

LynchMob42
08-05-2013, 07:08 PM
Fixed it for you.

I appreciate your level-headed approach, onbison!

344Johnson
08-05-2013, 07:56 PM
If K-State was in the Big 10, I'm guessing they would have more titles. Especially recently.

Also, Bill Synder coached my alma mater (North Texas) with Hayden Fry.

Idk....Ohio State has been pretty consistently good.

onbison09
08-05-2013, 08:35 PM
I appreciate your level-headed approach, onbison!

Thanks! I just think it's funny when people pull out a ranking and they ignore the same thing later on.

onbison09
08-05-2013, 08:35 PM
Idk....Ohio State has been pretty consistently good.

True. I said more though. They definitely would've won it last year IMO

LynchMob42
08-06-2013, 02:57 PM
Thanks! I just think it's funny when people pull out a ranking and they ignore the same thing later on.

I think it's funny that the theme of the board is, "We get no respect!" but posters ignore respectful posts, begin disrespectful threads.... and then get further upset about disrespectful responses.

Tatanka
08-06-2013, 03:15 PM
I think it's funny that the theme of the board is, "We get no respect!" but posters ignore respectful posts, begin disrespectful threads.... and then get further upset about disrespectful responses.http://4.bp.blogspot.com/--mLOKIk_D5w/TdgmD32rHAI/AAAAAAAAAFg/GlojaC3oFQ0/s1600/Aretha-Franklin-01_6.jpg

LynchMob42
08-06-2013, 04:46 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/--mLOKIk_D5w/TdgmD32rHAI/AAAAAAAAAFg/GlojaC3oFQ0/s1600/Aretha-Franklin-01_6.jpg

This is what I had in mind.

Since this thread is titled Bill Snyder, I thought I'd add a list from Athlon, ranking the 125 FBS coaches.

http://athlonsports.com/college-football/ranking-all-125-college-football-head-coaches-2013

"3. Bill Snyder, Kansas State Overall Record at Kansas State: 170-85-1 (1989-2005, 2009-present, 21 years) Snyder doesn’t get the national credit like Nick Saban or Urban Meyer, but there’s no denying he is one of the best coaches in college football. Prior to his arrival at Kansas State, the Wildcats had just one bowl appearance and recorded only one winning season from 1971-88. After Snyder’s arrival, Kansas State immediately went from a laughingstock to a consistent winner. The Wildcats won six games in Snyder’s first two seasons but recorded 10 years of nine victories or more from 1993-2003. Snyder retired after the 2005 season, but a failed three-year stint under Ron Prince brought him back to the sidelines. And just as Kansas State did in Snyder’s first stint, the program quickly emerged as a conference title contender and was in the mix to play for the national title last season. Snyder isn’t flashy, but his teams are always well-coached and prepared. As long as Snyder roams the sidelines in Manhattan, regardless of how many starters Kansas State loses, never count out the Wildcats from the Big 12 title discussion."

LynchMob42
08-07-2013, 08:00 PM
I guess that ended that discussion?

SDbison
08-07-2013, 08:05 PM
This is what I had in mind.

Since this thread is titled Bill Snyder, I thought I'd add a list from Athlon, ranking the 125 FBS coaches.

http://athlonsports.com/college-football/ranking-all-125-college-football-head-coaches-2013

"3. Bill Snyder, Kansas State Overall Record at Kansas State: 170-85-1 (1989-2005, 2009-present, 21 years) Snyder doesn’t get the national credit like Nick Saban or Urban Meyer, but there’s no denying he is one of the best coaches in college football. Prior to his arrival at Kansas State, the Wildcats had just one bowl appearance and recorded only one winning season from 1971-88. After Snyder’s arrival, Kansas State immediately went from a laughingstock to a consistent winner. The Wildcats won six games in Snyder’s first two seasons but recorded 10 years of nine victories or more from 1993-2003. Snyder retired after the 2005 season, but a failed three-year stint under Ron Prince brought him back to the sidelines. And just as Kansas State did in Snyder’s first stint, the program quickly emerged as a conference title contender and was in the mix to play for the national title last season. Snyder isn’t flashy, but his teams are always well-coached and prepared. As long as Snyder roams the sidelines in Manhattan, regardless of how many starters Kansas State loses, never count out the Wildcats from the Big 12 title discussion." Blah blah blah........so Snyder has a decent chance of adding another L to his record when the Bison come to town........just sayin.

Bison 4 Life
08-07-2013, 08:52 PM

Nope, and it doesn't make him better than a couple of days ago. Taking chicken shit and turning it into chicken salad is a worthy accomplishment but chicken salad gets old after twenty years, some people want more than that.

LynchMob42
08-07-2013, 09:15 PM
Worst football program in the history of I-A.... to on the verge of a National Championship, twice. That's better than chicken salad! ;)

56BISON73
08-07-2013, 09:34 PM

Why should we care. Bio has been put up. Its been read. Whats there to discuss?

Bison 4 Life
08-07-2013, 09:35 PM
Worst football program in the history of I-A.... to on the verge of a National Championship, twice. That's better than chicken salad! ;)

verge? Kind of like Notre Dame was on the verge of the NC last year? That's a big verge.

tmcats
08-07-2013, 09:40 PM
verge? Kind of like Notre Dame was on the verge of the NC last year? That's a big verge.

you demean nd and k-state in the same breath. i like the company. just played golf with an nd lawyer. he didn't make the same connection. but i like yours.

SamsRams
08-07-2013, 09:43 PM

Oh I get it, so the Vikings are one of the best run NFL teams of all time because they have almost won a Super Bowl. Good to know!

SDbison
08-07-2013, 09:50 PM
you demean nd and k-state in the same breath. i like the company. just played golf with an nd lawyer. he didn't make the same connection. but i like yours. You played golf with a lawyer from ND........was he a UND graduate?

SDbison
08-07-2013, 09:52 PM
This thread has grown old............so are the NDSU Bison playing the K-State Snyder's? Snyder sure was brilliant against Baylor and Oregon last year!

IzzyFlexion
08-07-2013, 09:55 PM
you demean nd and k-state in the same breath. i like the company. just played golf with an nd lawyer. he didn't make the same connection. but i like yours.

I didn't know CAS played golf.

Fire golf coaching iPod app: save fall back on PGA career.

On edit:
DAMMIT! SD beat me to a UND tie-in.