PDA

View Full Version : Montana in trouble with NCAA

HooliganBison
07-26-2013, 05:31 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9511704/montana-grizzlies-penalized-ncaa-booster-perks

Losing scholarships and vacating wins. Sorry to say but teammakers should send this article out to all boosters just for a reminder of the consequences of violating the rules.

imabison
07-26-2013, 05:33 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9511704/montana-grizzlies-penalized-ncaa-booster-perks

Losing scholarships and vacating wins. Sorry to say but teammakers should send this article out to all boosters just for a reminder of the consequences of violating the rules.

NCAA penalizes Univ. of Montana over booster perks
http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/407220/

AP article now forum also...

MNLonghorn10
07-26-2013, 05:57 PM
NCAA penalizes Univ. of Montana over booster perks
http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/407220/

AP article now forum also...

Good timing for ndsu to play them

THEsocalledfan
07-26-2013, 06:53 PM
And who thought the Big Fluffy could get weaker after adding the Who.

HerdBot
07-26-2013, 07:06 PM
They've been in trouble before too

Continued success was expected, but a disappointing season in 1971 was followed by a work-study scandal that eventually led to Swarthout's resignation. In 1972, a federal grand jury returned a 32-count indictment charging five university officials and coaches (including Swarthout) with conspiring to illegally use federal-aid money by using some of the funds to pay for fictitious jobs for athletes.[6] Though Swarthout was found innocent, the charges hurt recruiting and the student-body government decided to withdraw financial support for athletic programs.[7][8]

HerdBot
07-26-2013, 07:10 PM
Good timing for ndsu to play them

Probably won't have an impact with 12 scholarships lost over 3 years. Maybe a tiny bit when we travel to their house

bisonmike2
07-26-2013, 07:37 PM
They have to vacate the playoff win over UNI in 2011. Congrats UNI, you can now claim that your final game in the playoffs wasn't a loss.

Hammerhead
07-26-2013, 07:42 PM
When wins are vacated, does the team losing the game get a win or is the game just erased like it never happened. I.E. if a team had a 5-6 record and a loss to Montana was vacated, does their record drop to 5-5?

tony
07-26-2013, 07:51 PM
When wins are vacated, does the team losing the game get a win or is the game just erased like it never happened. I.E. if a team had a 5-6 record and a loss to Montana was vacated, does their record drop to 5-5?

It's supposed to be like the game never happened. I hate the "vacate wins" punishment. Vacating Montana's wins doesn't make sense to me. I don't believe that they got any real advantage from this situation so let the games stand.

Either forfeit or forget about it - and use some common sense.

tjbison
07-26-2013, 08:40 PM
It's supposed to be like the game never happened. I hate the "vacate wins" punishment. Vacating Montana's wins doesn't make sense to me. I don't believe that they got any real advantage from this situation so let the games stand.

Either forfeit or forget about it - and use some common sense.

not to mention it really doesn't punish them at all

HerdBot
07-26-2013, 08:43 PM
not to mention it really doesn't punish them at all

The lost scholarships will be made up by a Montana booster I'm sure. Probably in the form of a fake job or just plain cash!

tjbison
07-26-2013, 08:45 PM
The lost scholarships will be made up by a Montana booster I'm sure. Probably in the form of a fake job or just plain cash!

I meant the wins being removed

tony
07-26-2013, 09:07 PM

Why do you say that?

HerdBot
07-26-2013, 10:03 PM
Why do you say that?

Obviously I'm speculating and not being totally serious but they have a documented history of cheating and apparently its still a problem. Not like in the 70s when they used federal money to pay players
Source wiki

Continued success was expected, but a disappointing season in 1971 was followed by a work-study scandal that eventually led to Swarthout's resignation. In 1972, a federal grand jury returned a 32-count indictment charging five university officials and coaches (including Swarthout) with conspiring to illegally use federal-aid money by using some of the funds to pay for fictitious jobs for athletes.[6] Though Swarthout was found innocent, the charges hurt recruiting and the student-body government decided to withdraw financial support for athletic programs.[7][8]

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
07-27-2013, 02:43 AM
So what exactly does "three years of probation entail?" Are they still eligible for the playoffs?

Vacating playoff wins is so stupid. So what the hell does that mean? Does UNI get to fictitiously advance in the playoffs and then fictitiously get beat by SHSU? Maybe UNI should demand a replay of that whole playoff bracket. Everyone should bring back the old teams for a do over. What a joke!

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
07-27-2013, 02:45 AM

You mean to tell me that having players on my businesses payroll, even if they don't work for me, is against NCAA rules?

Oops, I better straighten that out.

natstar1
07-27-2013, 03:11 AM
Obviously I'm speculating and not being totally serious but they have a documented history of cheating and apparently its still a problem. Not like in the 70s when they used federal money to pay players

2 events 40+ years apart doesn't seem to bad or is there more that I'm missing?

NDSU1980
07-27-2013, 03:30 AM
As long as they are good enough to piss pound un_, I'm satisfied.

Tatanka
07-27-2013, 05:18 AM
As long as they are good enough to piss pound un_, I'm satisfied.

this.

Sent from somewhere using my Win8 phone or something.

tony
07-27-2013, 01:43 PM
2 events 40+ years apart doesn't seem to bad or is there more that I'm missing?

Plus, most of the stuff is just what people do to help out. It's not like boosters taking recruits or players to strip clubs.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2013-07-02/oregon-ncaa-sanctions-miami-investigation-chip-kelly-stanford-mack-brown

(http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/story/2013-07-02/oregon-ncaa-sanctions-miami-investigation-chip-kelly-stanford-mack-brown)^ Or Oregon. Based on this article, I'm guessing that, because of the interwebs, the official spelling of "rogue" will become "rouge."

perthbison
07-27-2013, 02:27 PM
It seems trivial that it's against the rules to treat a player or two to a restaurant meal. I've done that for college students just cause they're usually broke.

GrizMusician
07-27-2013, 03:07 PM
Here's another perspective:

http://m.missoulian.com/news/local/ex-griz-coach-athletic-director-defend-record-say-there-s/article_fee3cea0-f669-11e2-b2f1-0019bb2963f4.html [SFW]

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

HerdBot
07-27-2013, 03:53 PM
Here's another perspective:

http://m.missoulian.com/news/local/ex-griz-coach-athletic-director-defend-record-say-there-s/article_fee3cea0-f669-11e2-b2f1-0019bb2963f4.html [SFW]

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Good article. If its true I'm on Montana's side

westnodak93bison
07-27-2013, 04:45 PM
So coaches are responsible for the actions of players parents and boosters? Talk about set up to fail.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

344Johnson
07-28-2013, 09:02 AM
Probably won't have an impact with 12 scholarships lost over 3 years. Maybe a tiny bit when we travel to their house

Should have an impact by the time we go to their house. 12 schollies is a solid punishment for FBS....for FCS, those 12 schollies can be broken into like 14 or 15 players. It'll have an impact, at least in the playoffs when they are playing against teams who have some semblance of a defense.

56BISON73
07-28-2013, 05:00 PM
One more nail in the NCAA coffin. Any wonder why the bigs want to bail. Oh and don't forget that the NCAA charged an athlete 20.00 because she used the universities water to wash her car. Freaking idiots.

IndyBison
07-28-2013, 05:38 PM
One more nail in the NCAA coffin. Any wonder why the bigs want to bail. Oh and don't forget that the NCAA charged an athlete 20.00 because she used the universities water to wash her car. Freaking idiots.

Remember the NCAA is a membership organization and everyone of these ridiculous rules was passed by the membership. Every school gets a vote. The national office doesn't create any of these rules. The bigs' beef is the smaller schools have collectively more votes than they do so maybe some of these rule are coming from the masses. I'm willing to bet most of them came because a school saw someone doing something or providing something that gave them an unfair advantage so they had to come up with a policy to prevent it in the future . Those lines are hard to draw sometimes so they completely ban an activity. It's the nature and challenge of any membership organization that tries to police itself.

Even if the BCS schools split off to their own organization they will eventually end up with similar problems. They'll have more control though because they will have 100% of the membership.

56BISON73
07-28-2013, 08:01 PM
Remember the NCAA is a membership organization and everyone of these ridiculous rules was passed by the membership. Every school gets a vote. The national office doesn't create any of these rules. The bigs' beef is the smaller schools have collectively more votes than they do so maybe some of these rule are coming from the masses. I'm willing to bet most of them came because a school saw someone doing something or providing something that gave them an unfair advantage so they had to come up with a policy to prevent it in the future . Those lines are hard to draw sometimes so they completely ban an activity. It's the nature and challenge of any membership organization that tries to police itself.

Even if the BCS schools split off to their own organization they will eventually end up with similar problems. They'll have more control though because they will have 100% of the membership.

Even though the schools created the NCAA--the NCAA has lost sight of its intended purpose and had gotten so big that it chases its tail to justify itself. Sometimes you just have to say---this is a non issue and walk away as there are bigger fish to fry.

imabison
07-29-2013, 02:35 AM
Good article. If its true I'm on Montana's side

Even though the article never addressed the free legal representation that was probably more of an issue than who paid the bail.

KSBisonFan
07-29-2013, 03:48 PM
At least Montana players weren't doing this: :facepalm:

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2013/7/29/4567330/dee-liner-cash-instagram-alabama-football

bisonmike2
07-29-2013, 05:35 PM
At least Montana players weren't doing this: :facepalm:

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2013/7/29/4567330/dee-liner-cash-instagram-alabama-football

I'm sure he just cashed his last check from his summer job before heading down to school and checking in at camp.

THEsocalledfan
07-29-2013, 07:28 PM
I'm sure he just cashed his last check from his summer job before heading down to school and checking in at camp.

Yes, he was the best signature collector of all time!

HerdBot
07-29-2013, 08:07 PM
Even though the article never addressed the free legal representation that was probably more of an issue than who paid the bail.

Attorneys do pro bono stuff all the time. In my opinion its not a big deal. Not losing 12 scholarships big