PDA

View Full Version : Pac 12 to move away from playing FCS games now

Billings
07-26-2013, 02:15 PM
Scott said he still wants FBS to have a "so-called big tent," with more than just the top five conferences being included.

"That's why the reports of a possible breakaway and things like that are overcooked," he said. "That's not anyone's agenda."

He said the move toward more nine-game conference schedules and an emphasis on strength of schedule in the upcoming College Football Playoff will lead to fewer games between the big five conferences and the other five FBS conferences (Mountain West, American Athletic, Sun Belt, Mid-American and Conference USA). But there still will be competition between the two groups.

What likely will decrease are games between FBS and FCS teams and so-called guarantee games, when a school from a power conference pays hundreds of thousands of dollars to a school from a lesser conference to play a road game.

Some FCS and lower-level FBS programs, especially those in the Sun Belt and MAC, rely on those guarantee game payouts to fund their athletic programs and losing them could be a problem.

"I'm not very sympathetic. I just don't think the concept of buy games is a healthy thing for college football or for fans," Scott said. "It's been a quirk in the system that they've benefited from and good for them. I certainly don't feel like it's an entitlement or right they have. To me that's not a higher priority than creating higher quality college football matchups.

"There is plenty of socialized revenue distribution through the NCAA

Source:
http://www.dailynews.com/sports/ci_23735227/college-football-pac-12-commissioner-larry-scott-says

Tatanka
07-26-2013, 02:43 PM
One thing's for sure, the economic model of the FCS (and probably the lower-tier FBS) is going to change. Dramatically.

I fear that scholarship reductions are next if FCS/weak FBS schools can't make budget...

344Johnson
07-26-2013, 03:06 PM
One thing's for sure, the economic model of the FCS (and probably the lower-tier FBS) is going to change. Dramatically.

I fear that scholarship reductions are next if FCS/weak FBS schools can't make budget...

Time to adopt the MNLonghorn school of thought, "Mountain West, hope for the best!"

heckler
07-26-2013, 03:44 PM
Welcome aboard.

THEsocalledfan
07-26-2013, 06:59 PM

And I will be PO'd if that happens as we start the decent into D2 silliness yet again. Here's an idea; play home and home non-conference games against teams folks want to see and make your own darn money. If you can't make enough doing that, drop to D2 where you belong.

HerdBot
07-26-2013, 08:05 PM

If scholarship levels are going down I want nothing to do with the FCS. Scholarships = quality of play. It would be D2 history repeating itself. Those who don't pay attention to history...

tjbison
07-26-2013, 08:37 PM
If scholarship levels are going down I want nothing to do with the FCS. Scholarships = quality of play. It would be D2 history repeating itself. Those who don't pay attention to history...

fine, but your missing a huge factor. we will be in this sub division until an invite from an FBS conference comes. until then we can do nothing

missingnumber7
07-26-2013, 08:42 PM
As long as we play in the fargodome as configured there ain't no FBS conference coming calling.

HerdBot
07-26-2013, 08:47 PM
fine, but your missing a huge factor. we will be in this sub division until an invite from. FBS conference comes. until then we can do nothing

I think we would be attractive as a football only team. Eliminates travel issues of other sports.

BisonTeacher
09-29-2013, 12:02 PM
Didnt know where else to put this and didnt want to start a new thread

Sounds like Kiffin got the axe at USC.

couldnt have happened to a nicer guy.

Mayville Bison
09-29-2013, 01:35 PM

next coach at UN_?

Sent from my RM-845_nam_vzw_100 using Tapatalk

onbison09
09-29-2013, 02:26 PM

It was right after the team plane landed. Like in the parking lot.

onbison09
09-29-2013, 03:57 PM
Holy shit this is amazing http://deadspin.com/lane-kiffin-was-fired-in-the-most-cold-blooded-way-1421405896. I actually feel bad for him.

56BISON73
09-29-2013, 07:28 PM
It was right after the team plane landed. Like in the parking lot.

He was pulled off of the team bus and got the AXE.

BTW---TN fans are loving this.

SamsRams
09-29-2013, 07:41 PM
Holy shit this is amazing http://deadspin.com/lane-kiffin-was-fired-in-the-most-cold-blooded-way-1421405896. I actually feel bad for him.

Pretty obvious blindside, he must not watch Survivor or Big Brother as he was cocky and didnt bring his bag with him