PDA

View Full Version : So they're paying attention to us...

CaBisonFan
06-26-2013, 04:12 AM
...meaning they're scared. I haven't seen this much outside activity since we played Kansas in basketball.

I'm more concerned with getting a win in Brookings and against UNI at home.

If we get those, we set ourselves up for another run at home-field advantage in the playoffs.

People that are concerned with the lousy home schedule will get their fill of home games in December.

The Kansas State game is a fun activity. The Bison will play well...come what may.

We have much bigger goals for the season.

Perspective

PS - As for anyone who starts making fun of the state of North Dakota...remember how Minnesota treated us? Low class.

PS2- Treat Ferris St. with great respect.

TransAmBison
06-26-2013, 04:24 AM
I love it when CA gets philosophical...it means we are in for a heckuva season. :cheers:

HerdBot
06-26-2013, 05:17 AM
...meaning they're scared. I haven't seen this much outside activity since we played Kansas in basketball.

If we get those, we set ourselves up for another run at home-field advantage in the playoffs.

People that are concerned with the lousy home schedule will get their fill of home games in December.

The Kansas State game is a fun activity. The Bison will play well...come what may.

Perspective

PS - As for anyone who starts making fun of the state of North Dakota...remember how Minnesota treated us? Low class.

Make no mistake, the #1 goal is Frisco but a win over KSU will do so much for the program, you can't even measure it. From a recognition stand point, it would be bigger than a three peat. This isn't some weak team. It's the Big 12 Champion on National TV. Kansas is in the heart of our recruiting territory and everyone in the Big 10/12 footprint we recruit so heavily will see it and know we are real. It could push us to a level of fan support and recruiting we have never seen. It's basically a Championship game before the Championship game. Now if we can beat KSU and three peat... wow! Either way it's a win-win for us. If we keep it close, we will earn respect. If we win, it's massive. I really think we have the team to do pull it off.

History on Appalachian State...
nation champs '05 and '06
Stadium capacity was 16,650 in 2007
They beat Michigan on the Big Ten Network, who was ranked #5 and finished the year ranked in the top 20 and three peated. (barely they lost 2 regular season games and one 2 squeakers in the playoffs)

Since the Michigan win, there have been three separate expansion projects in the last five years have upped the number of seats to 23,150

they doubled the size of their scoreboard

Opened a 120,000-square-foot state of the art Appalachian Athletics Center

Opened an indoor practice facility

were the first team in America to get the new field turf version in 2011

and they were invited to an FBS conference

And they have been pretty average by Appalachian Standards too. They lost in the Championship game in 2008 and made the playoffs every year since

Win this game and suddenly may see some real talk about adding corner seating in the dome, an indoor practice facility, FBS conferences may be interested, bigger basketball conferences may take notice, more and more donations... like Simmers says, success breeds sucess

tjbison
06-26-2013, 12:19 PM
Make no mistake, the #1 goal is Frisco but a win over KSU will do so much for the program, you can't even measure it. From a recognition stand point, it would be bigger than a three peat. This isn't some weak team. It's the Big 12 Champion on National TV. Kansas is in the heart of our recruiting territory and everyone in the Big 10/12 footprint we recruit so heavily will see it and know we are real. It could push us to a level of fan support and recruiting we have never seen. It's basically a Championship game before the Championship game. Now if we can beat KSU and three peat... wow! Either way it's a win-win for us. If we keep it close, we will earn respect. If we win, it's massive. I really think we have the team to do pull it off.

History on Appalachian State...
nation champs '05 and '06
Stadium capacity was 16,650 in 2007
They beat Michigan on the Big Ten Network, who was ranked #5 and finished the year ranked in the top 20 and three peated. (barely they lost 2 regular season games and one 2 squeakers in the playoffs)

Since the Michigan win, there have been three separate expansion projects in the last five years have upped the number of seats to 23,150

they doubled the size of their scoreboard

Opened a 120,000-square-foot state of the art Appalachian Athletics Center

Opened an indoor practice facility

were the first team in America to get the new field turf version in 2011

and they were invited to an FBS conference

And they have been pretty average by Appalachian Standards too. They lost in the Championship game in 2008 and made the playoffs every year since

Win this game and suddenly may see some real talk about adding corner seating in the dome, an indoor practice facility, FBS conferences may be interested, bigger basketball conferences may take notice, more and more donations... like Simmers says, success breeds sucess

they were also ramping up for the FBS move, that did just happen because they beat Michigan

MNLonghorn10
06-26-2013, 12:52 PM

Perspective

WTF are you even talking about?

EndZoneQB
06-26-2013, 12:56 PM
I think I've pinpointed it. CA is the inverse of lakes.

THEsocalledfan
06-26-2013, 01:20 PM
I got roasted two years ago when I said the Minnesota game was the most important game (which it was; UNI was not), but I need to go further. You can rightfully argue this is the most important game NDSU has played in probably since the first Gopher win. These victories put you on the map and give the program the recognition it deserves. Let's remember this baby is on NATIONAL TV basically launching a new sports network with good cable access. It may very well have a higher rating than the FCS Title game. Everyone who watched will be hearing about the excellent program Craig Bohl has built and how they are trying to three peat and here they are with a BCS bowl team in transition. If NDSU can somehow pull off the upset, make no mistake, the media coverage will be WAY more than the second FCS title nationally. (remember ap st. vs. Mich) I, for one, want the rest of the country to know just how good NDSU is. I guess Lakes and I must be the same in that regard.

So yes, this is the single most important regular season game of the year. Even from a playoff perspective (admit I don't understand new system) it should help them immensely if they win. While I personally value the national title wins more, this is bigger than any other game in the last 5 years. The only game that could eclipse it this year is if NDSU has a chance to go for the 3-peat; not even a semi-final is this big for the program.

bisonaudit
06-26-2013, 01:42 PM
Even from a playoff perspective (admit I don't understand new system) it should help them immensely if they win.

Have I missed something? I don't think anyone knows much beyond the fact that its expanding to 24 and their looking at a new "formula" to guide the selection committee. But there aren't any details on what that "formula" is going to be, so there isn't anything to understand at this point, unless I've missed an update, which is possible because Dom has been stuck in Vermont behind a tractor wreck.

HerdBot
06-26-2013, 01:49 PM
I got roasted two years ago when I said the Minnesota game was the most important game (which it was; UNI was not), but I need to go further. You can rightfully argue this is the most important game NDSU has played in probably since the first Gopher win. These victories put you on the map and give the program the recognition it deserves. Let's remember this baby is on NATIONAL TV basically launching a new sports network with good cable access. It may very well have a higher rating than the FCS Title game. Everyone who watched will be hearing about the excellent program Craig Bohl has built and how they are trying to three peat and here they are with a BCS bowl team in transition. If NDSU can somehow pull off the upset, make no mistake, the media coverage will be WAY more than the second FCS title nationally. (remember ap st. vs. Mich) I, for one, want the rest of the country to know just how good NDSU is. I guess Lakes and I must be the same in that regard.

So yes, this is the single most important regular season game of the year. Even from a playoff perspective (admit I don't understand new system) it should help them immensely if they win. While I personally value the national title wins more, this is bigger than any other game in the last 5 years. They only game that could eclipse it this year is if NDSU has a chance to go for the 3-peat; not even a semi-final is this big for the program.

The Gophers was bigger for exposure in our backyard and recruiting area but the Championship was close. I think the 2006 game is what fired up the fan base. The growth since then has been insane. Fair question. Would we have signed Marcus, Grant Olson, Perry, Crocket, Littlejohn, and Jirik without the Gophers exposure in '06 and '07? Maybe or maybe not. Would we have signed ALL of them? Then against the senior class that beat the Gophers had nothing todo with it as they were from 2003.

KSU is a different animal than the Gophers because KSU is a good team. It will have way more viewers and will help in areas outside of Minnesota. Would give us an edge on players like Pierre Gee Tucker who probably didn't even know who Minnesota was but may have been impressed with the playoff atmosphere and saw us as elite because we are the best FCS team in the nation

And the playoff committee would love a KSU win!

thundarsdaddy
06-26-2013, 02:20 PM
The Gophers was bigger for exposure in our backyard and recruiting area but the Championship was close. I think the 2006 game is what fired up the fan base. The growth since then has been insane. Fair question. Would we have signed Marcus, Grant Olson, Perry, Crocket, Littlejohn, and Jirik without the Gophers exposure in '06 and '07? Maybe or maybe not. Would we have signed ALL of them? Then against the senior class that beat the Gophers had nothing todo with it as they were from 2003.

KSU is a different animal than the Gophers because KSU is a good team. It will have way more viewers and will help in areas outside of Minnesota. Would give us an edge on players like Pierre Gee Tucker who probably didn't even know who Minnesota was but may have been impressed with the playoff atmosphere and saw us as elite because we are the best FCS team in the nation

And the playoff committee would love a KSU win!

Well said, VERY well said in my opinion. The Gopher game in 2006 was HUGE in all the aspects you mentioned, as the major fear in the D-1 move was that NDSU would be a mediocre program for years. Showing we could give Minnesota a decent game was one thing, showing we could BEAT them, which we ultimately did was another!
Bringing all the(forgive the phrase) out-of-state talent to NDSU after our showing against the Gophers was huge!
BUT.....I have to add one thing, that credit should go to Coach Bohl, all the coaches and to NDSU in general for somehow, keeping these talented players focused on TEAM play. Its way too common for the so-called SuperStars to lose perspective and just play for themselves, or not give a sh** in general. However it gets done, the NDSU program demands team-play and team concept and it shows. To me this is where all the success and the team concept NDSU showed for decades at the D-2 level, has bled over to the current D-1 generation.
Again..well said, Thanks Gabe!

Herd
06-26-2013, 02:49 PM
The B1G would do a collective "gulp" if we were to upset Kansas State. So far, they are of the opinion that we are picking on little Ole MN, and anyone could od that . . . so this would be a huge national win. Not sure what the B1T would think, I suppose it would depend on if K State was top 10, 20 or 30 . . . and made a run at another conference championship.

Maybe we will be outclassed in Manhattan, but I don't think so.

Bison 4 Life
06-26-2013, 02:53 PM
The B1G would do a collective "gulp" if we were to upset Kansas State. So far, they are of the opinion that we are picking on little Ole MN, and anyone could od that . . . so this would be a huge national win. Not sure what the B1T would think, I suppose it would depend on if K State was top 10, 20 or 30 . . . and made a run at another conference championship.

Maybe we will be outclassed in Manhattan, but I don't think so.

We may get beat in Manhattan, but we will NOT be outclassed.

HerdBot
06-26-2013, 02:59 PM
they were also ramping up for the FBS move, that did just happen because they beat Michigan

the first report of Appy exploring fbs came out in sept 2010. They grew so fast after their 3 peat and Michigan (sounds like us)
http://www.journalnow.com/news/local/article_a0ffa436-efc2-581b-9b4d-2a3425f82e6e.html

KilldeerBison
06-26-2013, 03:03 PM
We may get beat in Manhattan, but we will NOT be outclassed.
Agreed, Bison are stacked with good athletes/leaders and good coaching. It will be fun to watch.

SDbison
06-26-2013, 03:19 PM
the first report of Appy exploring fbs came out in sept 2010. They grew so fast after their 3 peat and Michigan (sounds like us)
http://www.journalnow.com/news/local/article_a0ffa436-efc2-581b-9b4d-2a3425f82e6e.html The big difference is Appy could bring several thousand more fans to their stadium prior to the expansion and have them pay to sit on the the hillside to watch. NDSU is stuck with the fixed 19,200 max attendance in the Fargodome. Due to a seemingly strict fire marshal ruling this is the max there can be without modifications to hallways and doors. I believe a simple solution is to make the concert stairs to dome floor available and put a couple of the dozens of security guards already down there in front of each one. Then there is no reason to limit standing room to 100. Build some tiered platforms for each corner for about $10,000 to expand standing room to 250 to 300 each and capacity goes to 20,000. I mean think outside the box people! These movable platforms would pay for themselves in 2 games.

Hammerhead
06-26-2013, 03:36 PM
You could modify the proposed platforms in the corner and call them box seats like these :-)

http://cdn.hoboken411.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/hoboken-super-chicken-cages-2.jpg

THEsocalledfan
06-26-2013, 04:09 PM
Have I missed something? I don't think anyone knows much beyond the fact that its expanding to 24 and their looking at a new "formula" to guide the selection committee. But there aren't any details on what that "formula" is going to be, so there isn't anything to understand at this point, unless I've missed an update, which is possible because Dom has been stuck in Vermont behind a tractor wreck.

No, you missed nothing. It is why I said "admit I don't understand new system." With that said, if there is any kind of subjective reasoning allowed, it will help.

Vitojr130
06-26-2013, 07:17 PM
The big difference is Appy could bring several thousand more fans to their stadium prior to the expansion and have them pay to sit on the the hillside to watch. NDSU is stuck with the fixed 19,200 max attendance in the Fargodome. Due to a seemingly strict fire marshal ruling this is the max there can be without modifications to hallways and doors. I believe a simple solution is to make the concert stairs to dome floor available and put a couple of the dozens of security guards already down there in front of each one. Then there is no reason to limit standing room to 100. Build some tiered platforms for each corner for about $10,000 to expand standing room to 250 to 300 each and capacity goes to 20,000. I mean think outside the box people! These movable platforms would pay for themselves in 2 games.

Fire fire marshal, save seasons!

devin45k
06-26-2013, 07:19 PM
Does anyone have the sagarian rankings Appalachian State and Michigan were at the week of that game?

HerdBot
06-26-2013, 07:25 PM
Does anyone have the sagarian rankings Appalachian State and Michigan were at the week of that game?

I remember Michigan was #5 and they finished #18. Appalachian finished polls in the 30s with 2the losses. Thats polls not sure on sagarin

bisonaudit
06-26-2013, 07:46 PM

The archive on USAToday.com is jacked up it has the ending ratings for the 2007 season and the starting ratings for the 2006 season but not the ending ratings for the 2006 season which is what you're, sort of, asking for as I believe it was the opening game for each team in 2007.

devin45k
06-26-2013, 08:01 PM
The archive on USAToday.com is jacked up it has the ending ratings for the 2007 season and the starting ratings for the 2006 season but not the ending ratings for the 2006 season which is what you're, sort of, asking for as I believe it was the opening game for each team in 2007.

technically.....

HerdBot
06-26-2013, 09:05 PM
I don't think sagarin has pre season because its based on data of games played and there is no preseaon numbers ... or am I mixing it up with rpi?

mnriverbison
06-26-2013, 10:01 PM
It's pretty ridiculous to think that "they" are scared or that "they" are disrespecting North Dakota because of what a few yahoos on the internet are saying. I know for sure that I wouldn't want to be in any "we" which resulting in Lakes and the like trolling the internet.

A few guys on the internet does not mean that "they" meaning the players or coaches for KSU are scared. The increase in activity on their board and ours is more to do with our trolls just like the MN stuff. In both cases it was Bison fans, demanding on behalf of their players, respect that the players had not yet earned nor asked for. Ditto here. The Bison players talk during after the game, our trolls like to go talk before the game. That is what gets visiting trolls to come similarly misrepresent their fanbase.

The people at every FBS I've been to have been awesome. KU, MN, ISU, and CSU. All full of cool people who with the exception of MN hadn't even heard of NDSU for the most part. That was fun and this will be fun. But

CaBisonFan
06-26-2013, 11:01 PM
It's pretty ridiculous to think that "they" are scared or that "they" are disrespecting North Dakota because of what a few yahoos on the internet are saying. I know for sure that I wouldn't want to be in any "we" which resulting in Lakes and the like trolling the internet.

A few guys on the internet does not mean that "they" meaning the players or coaches for KSU are scared. The increase in activity on their board and ours is more to do with our trolls just like the MN stuff. In both cases it was Bison fans, demanding on behalf of their players, respect that the players had not yet earned nor asked for. Ditto here. The Bison players talk during after the game, our trolls like to go talk before the game. That is what gets visiting trolls to come similarly misrepresent their fanbase.

The people at every FBS I've been to have been awesome. KU, MN, ISU, and CSU. All full of cool people who with the exception of MN hadn't even heard of NDSU for the most part. That was fun and this will be fun. But

I presented what I believe to be a good philosophy about games against high-profile teams out of our conference.

As for the rest...I was trolling. Guess I should have gone a little slower.

But thanks for the information about different fan bases. I had no idea.

semobison
06-27-2013, 08:29 PM

I agree completely! A few knuckleheads don't make a fan base!

SDbison
06-27-2013, 08:42 PM
I agree completely! A few knuckleheads don't make a fan base!
Careful how you generalize.......right now the only knucklehead at Kansas State messageboards is JBB. He just goes on and on spewing the same stuff, things that opposing teams don't care about.........like NDSU selling out the 18,700 seat dome......blah, blah, blah. Lakes at least provides some details about matchups etc. so don't be critical of him. Just because you visit a board and post does not make you a troll. And within reason you can puff your chest and talk a little smack. Just need to balance with some credit given to the other team.

CaBisonFan
06-27-2013, 11:06 PM
Careful how you generalize.......right now the only knucklehead at Kansas State messageboards is JBB. He just goes on and on spewing the same stuff, things that opposing teams don't care about.........like NDSU selling out the 18,700 seat dome......blah, blah, blah. Lakes at least provides some details about matchups etc. so don't be critical of him. Just because you visit a board and post does not make you a troll. And within reason you can puff your chest and talk a little smack. Just need to balance with some credit given to the other team.

Blahahahaha

Bison 4 Life
06-28-2013, 12:06 AM
Blahahahaha

It's like a cult. I wonder if they have robes and stuff.

CaBisonFan
06-28-2013, 12:10 AM

^^^^^^^ this ^^^^^^^

semobison
06-28-2013, 02:42 AM

Not generalizing or pointing fingers. Every fan base has its share of yahoos, ours included. Most of the fans who post on message boards are hard core fans. The crazy ones make for good entertainment, but are not IMO your average fan.

Vitojr130
06-28-2013, 06:21 AM

Speaking of robes, who signed up as the Westboro Baptist Church member on their board?

IzzyFlexion
06-28-2013, 12:11 PM
Speaking of robes, who signed up as the Westboro Baptist Church member on their board?

I'm thinking of going to the game wearing a t-shirt that says "Hey Shirley Phelps.....Show Us Your Tits!"

KSBisonFan
06-28-2013, 01:50 PM
I'm thinking of going to the game wearing a t-shirt that says "Hey Shirley Phelps.....Show Us Your Tits!"

Izzy, even you don't want to see that. I've met Shirley Phelps-Roper.....one of her kids worked for me.....and you don't want to see that. I can't emphasize this enough and there is no amount of liquor that will change this.
I'm now going to go get a 50-lb bag of that red stuff the janitors used to cover up puke in the hallway in HS. Probably need a couple of cones too so people don't step into the mountain I just hurled.

Bison 4 Life
06-28-2013, 02:08 PM
Getting back to the real point. I know they aren't real deep thinkers over there so it seems they wouldn't hesitate to flame without justification. That stuff just doesn't sound like CAS, although they wouldn't really care if it was or not.

tmcats
06-28-2013, 04:09 PM
what is cas?

CaBisonFan
06-28-2013, 04:36 PM
what is cas?

CAS is a member who is one of the great defensive players in Bison history.

Bison 4 Life
06-28-2013, 04:39 PM

Respected attorney, great fan, and miles above anyone on that turd of a board.

In other words, not the type to post under another username.

TransAmBison
06-28-2013, 04:40 PM
I just threw up a little.

CaBisonFan
06-28-2013, 04:41 PM
I just threw up a little.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

runtheoption
06-28-2013, 05:03 PM
Respected attorney, great fan, and miles above anyone on that turd of a board. What is going on? Did CAS give you a break on a retainer? I need to go to ss.com for a dose of reality.

Bison 4 Life
06-28-2013, 05:09 PM
What is going on? Did CAS give you a break on a retainer? I need to go to ss.com for a dose of reality.

Never met him although he has the stones to represent himself without an alias. That's good enough for me.

runtheoption
06-28-2013, 05:18 PM
Never met him although he has the stones to represent himself without an alias. That's good enough for me. Me too...my name is Terry Tate.

thebigund
06-29-2013, 04:49 AM
Me too...my name is Terry Tate.
I'm a fan of your work. Classic stuff.

http://youtu.be/lq1eUpd9dco

344Johnson
06-29-2013, 04:50 AM

All the terry tate videos are classics in my eyes. Can't even choose a favorite.

Vitojr130
06-29-2013, 05:09 AM

You forgot that CAS is also the acronym for that one place with bleachers you could get STD's from, a house for dykes, and a field in the middle of it all down south.

CaBisonFan
06-29-2013, 05:29 AM
You forgot that CAS is also the acronym for that one place with bleachers you could get STD's from, a house for dykes, and a field in the middle of it all down south.

Calcium sulfide is the chemical compound (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemical_compound) with the formula CaS. This white material crystallizes in cubes like rock salt.

gumby013
07-06-2013, 03:32 AM
http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=173&f=2670&t=11491109&p=11

I gotta say, it is entertaining to watch Lakes, virtually single-handed, drive another board batty.

No_Skill
07-06-2013, 02:19 PM

I gotta say, it is entertaining to watch Lakes, virtually single-handed, drive another board batty.

I see jbb is doing his part as well.

HerdBot
07-06-2013, 07:39 PM

They think because of the Missouri State comparison score and the 2010 Kansas game they will win.

1) MSU was a bad team to start the year as they were 0-6 and played them close for 3 qtrs. We got them on a 3 game winning streak on the road late in the year. They were a completely different team. We held them to negative yards in the first half and Brock had a rare bad game throwing multiple picks and a pick six...and conference games are much tougher. Although our 2011 team best MSU 51-21

2) 2010 Bison was on rebuild mode early on and pretty terrible with Jose Moehler at qb and a project o-line. The following week uni spanked us and we over hauled everything. Not a good comparison at all

3) 2012 Bison will be better. 2013 KSU will be worse

Close game. Let them think they are elite

tmcats
07-07-2013, 07:42 PM
you have no clue how good or bad k-state will be in 2013. our own fans don't know, much less someone from fargo wearing green and yellow. k-state is amongst the nation's most underrated teams year after year. we won't know if they are worth a damn for some time.

http://cfn.scout.com/2/1149741.html

6. Kansas State (10-3)

What can Bill Snyder do for an encore? After nearly getting to the BCS by winning close game after close game, the team needs to find more offensive weapons and has to be even stronger on defense. Collin Klein will get the hype as one of college football’s best running quarterbacks, but he’ll have a patchwork line in front of him. John Hubert is a quick back who should do even more, while Brodrick Smith and Chris Harper are big targets who should do more as Klein expands the passing attack. The D has to find a playmaker in the secondary to replace Tysyn Hartman and corner David Garrett, but Nigel Malone should be among the nation’s top defensive backs. Arthur Brown is a terrific linebacker to build around, but three starters are gone off the front seven.

CaBisonFan
07-07-2013, 09:50 PM
you have no clue how good or bad k-state will be in 2013. our own fans don't know, much less someone from fargo wearing green and yellow. k-state is amongst the nation's most underrated teams year after year. we won't know if they are worth a damn for some time.

Oh...you will.

SoCalBison
12-26-2013, 09:55 PM

Perspective

Well, what a season this is turning out to be. Cal Bison's words of wisdom are spot on as the team preps for the final game. I realized the other day that this Bison team will have played in 4 nationally-televised games this season--plus the Fargo-hosted GameDay. I don't think any of us saw that coming when the move from D2 was announced, but what a treat this has been.

Go Bison!

MAKBison
12-26-2013, 10:22 PM
just goes to show, if you have a good product they will come!

Well, what a season this is turning out to be. Cal Bison's words of wisdom are spot on as the team preps for the final game. I realized the other day that this Bison team will have played in 4 nationally-televised games this season--plus the Fargo-hosted GameDay. I don't think any of us saw that coming when the move from D2 was announced, but what a treat this has been.

Go Bison!

A1pigskin
12-27-2013, 12:06 AM

Go Bison!

For sure.......

56BISON73
12-27-2013, 12:25 AM

Never seen this before. Damn funny!

Mayville Bison
12-27-2013, 12:58 PM
Never seen this before. Damn funny!

There's more than just that one, so be sure to check out the others

56BISON73
12-28-2013, 01:15 AM
There's more than just that one, so be sure to check out the others

Oh yeah!!! They were freaking great!!!! Wife loved them also.