PDA

View Full Version : 2013 US Track & Field Championships

westnodak93bison
06-21-2013, 01:46 PM
I was scrolling through the start lists last night and didn't see Jake Leingang in the junior division or even the gal from SD who won the NCAA pole vault? Is there some kind of invite criteria that they didn't meet or did they opt out? Can't believe anyone would pass on the opportunity.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

semobison
06-21-2013, 06:49 PM
I was scrolling through the start lists last night and didn't see Jake Leingang in the junior division or even the gal from SD who won the NCAA pole vault? Is there some kind of invite criteria that they didn't meet or did they opt out? Can't believe anyone would pass on the opportunity.

Leingang's winning time in the 5000 at the New Balance meet was nearly 50 seconds faster than the juniors ran at the USATF meet this weekend. This weeks winning time wouldn't have cracked the top 15 last weekend. The New Balance meet is considered a premier meet for High Schoolers. Brost and the SD pole vaulter had provisional qualifying jumps but were not accepted by the USATF for the National Championships.
Amanda Smock placed third in the triple jump and Laura Roesler made the semis this evening in the 800. Laura has a great chance of making the finals and an outside chance of making the team for the World championships in August. I think she is going to have to run in the mid 1:59's to make the team.

sambini
06-22-2013, 04:08 AM
Laura Roesler makes the final run 2:00.52 a pr..

tony
06-22-2013, 01:16 PM
Laura Roesler makes the final run 2:00.52 a pr..

That was a really interesting race... she ran in last place almost the whole race and then had to pass half the field to get into the finals. It looked like she was leaning backwards the last 50 meters and she still passed people.

goyotes
06-22-2013, 04:11 PM

NCAA Pole Vault Champion Bethany Buell from USD had surgery the week after winning the NCAA's to repair a torn ligament in her shoulder. She will be recovered in time for next years indoor season.

Buffalo.Rider
06-24-2013, 04:30 PM
That was a really interesting race... she ran in last place almost the whole race and then had to pass half the field to get into the finals. It looked like she was leaning backwards the last 50 meters and she still passed people.

With that kind of a race strategy, I wonder if it is keeping her from breaking 2:00. Not saying I know, just wondering. I suspect she is running too conservatively and not with enough reckless abandon. In the final ... if she would have gone out with the winner, whose strategy has been to lead with a fast first lap to great effect (she won the U.S. Olympic Trials last year, and now the U.S. Track Championships - with darn good times of 1:58 and change) . . . would Roesler have broken 2:00 and possibly finished in the Top 3. I got home 5 minutes after her race yesterday, turned on the tele to catch the 800m for men, the race following the women. I did not see Laura run, but I read about it, so know she stayed in the pack and then could not catch the leaders down the stretch. Wished I could have seen it. (Yes, I am being an armchair coach, but if someone is stuck at a plateau, sometimes a radical change will bust through the mental or physical barrier.)

semobison
06-24-2013, 09:21 PM
With that kind of a race strategy, I wonder if it is keeping her from breaking 2:00. Not saying I know, just wondering. I suspect she is running too conservatively and not with enough reckless abandon. In the final ... if she would have gone out with the winner, whose strategy has been to lead with a fast first lap to great effect (she won the U.S. Olympic Trials last year, and now the U.S. Track Championships - with darn good times of 1:58 and change) . . . would Roesler have broken 2:00 and possibly finished in the Top 3. I got home 5 minutes after her race yesterday, turned on the tele to catch the 800m for men, the race following the women. I did not see Laura run, but I read about it, so know she stayed in the pack and then could not catch the leaders down the stretch. Wished I could have seen it. (Yes, I am being an armchair coach, but if someone is stuck at a plateau, sometimes a radical change will bust through the mental or physical barrier.)

I watched the final. Roesler put herself in what I believe she thought (and I thought) was good position for the final 150 meters, but could not gain on the 3rd and 4th place finishers down the stretch. If she learned anything from this race it is that all the big girls have a kick. 2;00.23 is a PR, she was the youngest in the race and has a lot to be proud of. She should have a great Senior year at Oregon.

westnodak93bison
06-24-2013, 09:33 PM
Has she ever run the 1500?

Castor Troy
06-25-2013, 03:39 AM
I do not expect anyone here to know this but the college runners race three times as much as the pros. The pros can set their schedule and
race and rest when they want. They don't have to run all of the races their college coach tells them to run in order to earn points for the team. She was tired but she still pr'd but some are not happy. She ran great race and kept up with 4 pros. She is awesome and will continue to make me proud.

Buffalo.Rider
06-25-2013, 09:34 PM
I think that Roesler makes all of us proud. She had a good year this year, a breakout year getting several PRs in the 800m, getting a 2nd place finish at the NCAAs (indoor and outdoor), and shaving about 2 seconds off her best time prior to this year.

After the NCAA's she was interviewed and she referred to breaking 2:00 in the 800m as her "crucifix."
She also mentioned that she realized at the end of last year that she had been running too conservatively and running to 'not lose' rather than to 'win'.

I suppose I may have come across as critical of her in my prior note, so if someone feels that way ... fair enough. However, I would like to see her get that burden off her shoulders and maybe a different approach - a race or too of throwing caution to the wind - might get her over the mental hump (if there is one). Perhaps Castor Troy is right, she is just tired ... it has been a long running season given that it started with fall training.

I have no doubts she will get it next year. Based on her recent comments, sounds like she is determined as ever to get after it next year ... which is great.