PDA

View Full Version : Players On a Postive Note

BisonHorns
06-17-2013, 03:25 PM
Travis filled the news but on Friday night Brock Jensen and Zach Vraa went to the hospital to visit the 5 year that was hit by a car in West Fargo. The boy has two broken collar bones, broken ribs, punctured lungs and his heart is all Bison! We need the media to show both sides not just the ones that sell papers. I know this doesn't deserve a thread but I didn't want it to go unnoticed.

Bisonator98
06-17-2013, 03:32 PM
Travis filled the news but on Friday night Brock Jensen and Zach Vraa went to the hospital to visit the 5 year that was hit by a car in West Fargo. The boy has two broken collar bones, broken ribs, punctured lungs and his heart is all Bison! We need the Forum to show both sides not just the ones that sell papers. I know this doesn't deserve a thread but I didn't want it to go unnoticed.

These do deserve there own threads! Good post!

KilldeerBison
06-17-2013, 03:48 PM
Travis filled the news but on Friday night Brock Jensen and Zach Vraa went to the hospital to visit the 5 year that was hit by a car in West Fargo. The boy has two broken collar bones, broken ribs, punctured lungs and his heart is all Bison! We need the Forum to show both sides not just the ones that sell papers. I know this doesn't deserve a thread but I didn't want it to go unnoticed.

This deserves to be front page news! Thanks for pointing it out.

TAILG8R
06-17-2013, 04:25 PM
Why isn't this on bisonation.com? :hide:

344Johnson
06-17-2013, 04:49 PM

I'm sure Vraa was giving him some tips on rehabbing from broken collar bones.

dewey
06-17-2013, 05:25 PM
These do deserve there own threads! Good post!

100% Agreed.

Dewey

BISONFAN4LIFE
06-17-2013, 09:18 PM
That little boy is my neighbor and his family are huge Bison fans. I bet that visit will be cherished by that little man for years. Well done Bison players. Well done!!

P.S. I heard he may come home today.

HerdBot
06-17-2013, 09:41 PM
The Foolum doesn't write heart warming stories on the Bison. Only slanted negative headlines. That's just a sad fact about the Forum. Stuff like this doesn't "sell papers" and it doesn't fit in with the anti NDSU agenda of convincing the public the team is full of heartless thugs or games vs the Undies.

TAILG8R
06-17-2013, 09:45 PM
If you think about it, how would any news outlet know this was happening? The players aren't doing it for publicity so its not like someone sent out a press release notifying the media. Negative stories are easy to find because they usually start with something coming across the police wire. Now you could say that the media could cover the story after the fact but with no photo op and very little story, whats the point(from a business standpoint)?

JustinTyem
06-17-2013, 10:00 PM
Simply AWESOME!!!!! BTW-The GoldieLocks are gone,LoL 2885

SDbison
06-17-2013, 10:03 PM
If you think about it, how would any news outlet know this was happening? The payers aren't doing it for publicity so its not like someone sent out a press release notifying the media. Negative stories are easy to find because they usually start with something coming across the police wire. Now you could say that the media could cover the story after the fact but with no photo op and very little story, whats the point(from a business standpoint)?
If the Forum cared about covering NDSU and Bison sports in a positive light they would have contacts all over the region to submit stories like this........I am sure there were some decent photos taken by the family or players so those could have been shared. With the pixel quality of most cameras and cell phones today those photos would likely be good enough for newspaper print. But in reality the Fargo Forum is full of UND grads and NDSU haters so this will never happen. Just sayin!

SDbison
06-17-2013, 10:14 PM
Simply AWESOME!!!!! BTW-The GoldieLocks are gone,LoL 2885 Well look at this........the Forum can see there is a photo. Now all they have to do is call the players and get the story! Simple as that.......but of course they would need to have the desire to promote a growing and successful university in their namesake paper that employs thousands and brings in 15,000 students that use local business, many of which advertise in the Forum. Seems like a no brainer to keep a newspaper going in these tough times.

PattyBison
06-17-2013, 10:23 PM
The Foolum doesn't write heart warming stories on the Bison. Only slanted negative headlines. That's just a sad fact about the Forum. Stuff like this doesn't "sell papers" and it doesn't fit in with the anti NDSU agenda of convincing the public the team is full of heartless thugs or games vs the Undies.

Oh please. Biases work both ways.

http://www.thedickinsonpress.com/event/article/id/64486/

http://www.thedickinsonpress.com/event/article/id/54370/

https://secure.forumcomm.com/?publisher_ID=1&article_id=343213&CFID=156107934&CFTOKEN=77441145

(The Dickinson articles are from the Forum. I just pulled them because they aren't archived on the Dickinson site).

TAILG8R
06-17-2013, 11:01 PM
If the Forum cared about covering NDSU and Bison sports in a positive light they would have contacts all over the region to submit stories like this........I am sure there were some decent photos taken by the family or players so those could have been shared. With the pixel quality of most cameras and cell phones today those photos would likely be good enough for newspaper print. But in reality the Fargo Forum is full of UND grads and NDSU haters so this will never happen. Just sayin!

Contrary to what some on this board would like to see the reality is that the Forum or any other media outlet is not a PR firm. This type of story is suited for a blog entry IMO.

Tatanka
06-17-2013, 11:03 PM
Contrary to what some on this board would like to see the reality is that the Forum or any other media outlet is not a PR firm. This type of story is suited for a blog entry IMO.As a counterexample, I humbly submit the Grand Forks Herald.

I do agree with you though in principle.

MAKBison
06-17-2013, 11:13 PM
Travis filled the news but on Friday night Brock Jensen and Zach Vraa went to the hospital to visit the 5 year that was hit by a car in West Fargo. The boy has two broken collar bones, broken ribs, punctured lungs and his heart is all Bison! We need the media to show both sides not just the ones that sell papers. I know this doesn't deserve a thread but I didn't want it to go unnoticed.

Society needs more front page news like this ^^^^^ but with this thing of ours it will never friggen happen

MAKBison
06-17-2013, 11:16 PM
Contrary to what some on this board would like to see the reality is that the Forum or any other media outlet is not a PR firm. This type of story is suited for a blog entry IMO.

Putting examples of people doing good things is certainly ok for the the local paper. Its a nice counterbalance to the negative they put in the paper.....a bit of positive reinforcement never hurt a community. Local athletes taking a bit of time to well wish a local kid just because is good thing to promote. if I were an editor I would run it.

TAILG8R
06-18-2013, 12:33 AM
As a counterexample, I humbly submit the Grand Forks Herald.

I do agree with you though in principle.

I agree with you on the Herald and that is more of an indictment on the Herald being a poor paper than being supportive of their local university.

Putting examples of people doing good things is certainly ok for the the local paper. Its a nice counterbalance to the negative they put in the paper.....a bit of positive reinforcement never hurt a community. Local athletes taking a bit of time to well wish a local kid just because is good thing to promote. if I were an editor I would run it.

I agree with you, unfortunately media in general in the US is not focused on the positive.

BisonTeacher
06-18-2013, 02:27 AM
Nice job brock n vraa. They raise em right were vraa comes from :-)

Reality is scandal sells more papers than nice heartwarming stories.

sambini
06-18-2013, 03:52 AM
Great job Brock and Zach.

IBleedYellow
06-18-2013, 10:47 AM
Let's not forget about Jordan Peterson:

From his caringbridge site:

"The transplant team just called in. They have seen and touched the lungs of the donor and they are good lungs for transplant! They have given a full go! Jordan is being cleaned for the surgery and will be operated on and his diseased lungs are being removed in the coming 1/2 hour! Pray for safe travels as the extraction team returns this precious gift to Jordan!!

We were told it will take about two and a half hours for the team to return with the lungs. Pray for the surgical team operating on Jordan as they get the old out and then begin the delicate surgery of sewing in the new.

We will receive updates every couple of hours but the entire surgery can take up to 12 hours to complete. We are all excited and thankful about this next step in Jordan's Journey!!"

Grant was on the phone with him last night, too.

PattyBison
06-24-2013, 02:11 AM
Sorry to burst bubbles, but this was in the paper yesterday....

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/403810/group/shesays/

KilldeerBison
06-24-2013, 03:15 AM
Sorry to burst bubbles, but this was in the paper yesterday....

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/403810/group/shesays/

Was this a letter to the editor? It was really touching and well written.

PattyBison
06-24-2013, 03:27 AM
Was this a letter to the editor? It was really touching and well written.

I didn't notice until now, but it was written by Saul's wife. Looks like she writes a weekly column for the Forum. Its not in a section that I normally pay attention to, so I hadn't noticed it before.

bisonfanette
06-24-2013, 06:24 AM
Saul's wife article - in the "SHE SAYS" section... not on the Front Page of the Forum, nor on the Front Page of the sports section... but thanks to Nicole Phillips, at least it got in there! Vraa & Jensen make us Proud!