PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations to Travis Fitzke

tony
06-17-2013, 12:13 PM
Travis Fitzke's 3:42.32 in the 1500 at the American Milers High Performance series broke NDSU's and Mike Bollman's record set way back in 1979 - the oldest record in men's outdoor track. Last year, he broke Mike Bollman's mile record in the mile. Nice way to finish his NDSU career.

Now the oldest track record for NDSU men's outdoor track is the 4x100 record set by John Bodine, Gerald Forest, Stacy Robinson, and Steph Weiand (40 flat.) NDSU has never come close to breaking that record... and we're talking teams that had Marques Johnson, Allen Burrell, Jared Essler, Nate Schimidt/Ben Hendrickson.

On the women's side, as most NDSU track fans already know, the oldest records are all held by Nancy Dietman (3000, 5000, 10000) and were set in 1985 and 1986. Every other record has been set in the last 13 seasons except for the 800 medley relay which is not a standard event.

Notes:

I know buffalo.rider posted about this elsewhere but figured, what the heck.
Hats off to the track staffs - they do a fantastic job of getting gobison.com updated.

Castor Troy
06-18-2013, 08:28 PM
Now the oldest track record for NDSU men's outdoor track is the 4x100 record set by John Bodine, Gerald Forest, Stacy Robinson, and Steph Weiand (40 flat.) NDSU has never come close to breaking that record... and we're talking teams that had Marques Johnson, Allen Burrell, Jared Essler, Nate Schimidt/Ben Hendrickson.
Notes:

I know buffalo.rider posted about this elsewhere but figured, what the heck.
Hats off to the track staffs - they do a fantastic job of getting gobison.com updated.

My guess is that 4x100 was a hand held time. I have never spoken to Lars about this, but I would like to know the truth. I think that those 4 individuals are more than capable of running 40.00, but because the time is such a nice round number, I think its hand held.

tony
06-18-2013, 11:15 PM
My guess is that 4x100 was a hand held time. I have never spoken to Lars about this, but I would like to know the truth. I think that those 4 individuals are more than capable of running 40.00, but because the time is such a nice round number, I think its hand held.

I was wondering the same thing... do you know when the NCAA switched from handheld to FAT?

In 1984, the 4x100 winning time was 39.2. NDSU took fifth. It's conceivable that NDSU set the record at the NCAAs (the record book doesn't say what meet it was.)

Buffalo.Rider
06-24-2013, 04:20 PM
. . .

I just checked the list on gobison.com ... I believe the 6400m (4x1600m) relay is now the oldest (from 1980). The 4x100 is a 1984 record, according to gobison.

tony
06-24-2013, 05:06 PM
I just checked the list on gobison.com ... I believe the 6400m (4x1600m) relay is now the oldest (from 1980). The 4x100 is a 1984 record, according to gobison.

Yeah, but that's obviously not a standard track event. Might as well say that the oldest record is for a race that was run in yards. :)

Buffalo.Rider
06-25-2013, 10:17 PM
Yeah, but that's obviously not a standard track event. Might as well say that the oldest record is for a race that was run in yards. :)

C'mon tony .... that comes across as just arrogance. NDSU counts it, that is good enough for me.

Besides, the major relays (Drake Relays, Penn Relays, Texas Relays, etc.) have a 4x1600m (or sometimes 4x1500 or 4xmile) so it is pretty common. If that does not count, then perhaps one could also say that the 4x200, 4x800 are not standard - they are not run that often either - the 4x800 is usually only run at the major relays - and the Olympics only does 4x100 and 4x400 for example. Would the Sprint Medley and the Distance Medley also not be standard, since during the outdoor season they show up mainly in the major relays?

tony
06-26-2013, 12:08 AM
C'mon tony .... that comes across as just arrogance. NDSU counts it, that is good enough for me.

Besides, the major relays (Drake Relays, Penn Relays, Texas Relays, etc.) have a 4x1600m (or sometimes 4x1500 or 4xmile) so it is pretty common. If that does not count, then perhaps one could also say that the 4x200, 4x800 are not standard - they are not run that often either - the 4x800 is usually only run at the major relays - and the Olympics only does 4x100 and 4x400 for example. Would the Sprint Medley and the Distance Medley also not be standard, since during the outdoor season they show up mainly in the major relays?

The difference between a 4x1600m and say a 4x100 is that NDSU runs one race less than once a decade and the other several times every year. I guess we'll just have to disagree. You can count it, but I won't.

And, no, the medley relays aren't standard either. Like the 4x1600, they're novelty events.