PDA

View Full Version : Question re: Coach Craig Bohl

Kansas State U
06-12-2013, 07:47 PM
I read where he signed an 8 year extension earlier this year that pays him $206k / year with a 5% annual bump meaning he'd be around $305k by 2021.

Also noted was the various bonus provisions revolving around ticket sales and post season participation. There's no way to calculate this figure, but for the sake of this discussion, let's say it's around $100k additional / year.

Another way coaches all make $ is summer camps and speaking engagements - let's say another $100k, arriving at a total in 2013 of approximately $406k.

My question is, with the great success Coach Bohl has had at NDSU, has there been interest from other schools in the past decade? If so, why has he elected to stay and do you ever see him leaving?

I'm not all trying to downplay your school for two reasons: 1) I really know next to nothing about NDSU, and, 2) the football success has been undeniable regardless of the level of play..

The fact of the matter is, as you review the link below, there are dozens of stiffs that none of us have ever heard of making twice as much as your coach. Just curious.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2012/11/19/ncaa-college-football-head-coach-salary-database/1715543/

MNLonghorn10
06-12-2013, 07:53 PM
Hes never publicly came out and said he's interviewed or even inquired about openings at other(FBS) schools. We've(those of us on bville and the fargo media) all kind of thought that while going to a lower end FBS school may be a stepping stone to bigger and better jobs...for what it is vs coaching at NDSU, its a lateral job, and probably even a step down(coaching at bowling green or buffalo etc).

his wife is from the area and his son(from a different marriage) plays football at a college across the river in Moorhead MN.

He's got it pretty good in Fargo, and it'd have to be a pretty big school(Nebraskaish(his alma mater)) for him to leave, IMO..especially since hes 54.

Bison 4 Life
06-12-2013, 07:55 PM
In Fargo, 400k might as well be millions. Especially since he probably never has to pick up a bar tab anywhere.

Bisonator98
06-12-2013, 07:57 PM
I read where he signed an 8 year extension earlier this year that pays him $206k / year with a 5% annual bump meaning he'd be around $305k by 2021.

Also noted was the various bonus provisions revolving around ticket sales and post season participation. There's no way to calculate this figure, but for the sake of this discussion, let's say it's around $100k additional / year.

Another way coaches all make $ is summer camps and speaking engagements - let's say another $100k, arriving at a total in 2013 of approximately $406k.

My question is, with the great success Coach Bohl has had at NDSU, has there been interest from other schools in the past decade? Yes. If so, why has he elected to stay and do you ever see him leaving? Several reasons we believe, his wife is from the area, his son is playing for a local D2 college, he likes the lakes area. He has coached in the FBS and has stated his dislike for that type of situation. I would say he only leaves for a BCS offer which is unlikely. Money is not the end all be all for everyone.

I'm not all trying to downplay your school for two reasons: 1) I really know next to nothing about NDSU, and, 2) the football success has been undeniable regardless of the level of play..

The fact of the matter is, as you review the link below, there are dozens of stiffs that none of us have ever heard of making twice as much as your coach. Just curious.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2012/11/19/ncaa-college-football-head-coach-salary-database/1715543/..............

CAS4127
06-12-2013, 07:59 PM
In Fargo, 400k might as well be millions. Especially since he probably never has to pick up a bar tab anywhere.

Really?!?!?!? :(:biggrin:

imabison
06-12-2013, 08:05 PM

My question is, with the great success Coach Bohl has had at NDSU, has there been interest from other schools in the past decade? If so, why has he elected to stay and do you ever see him leaving?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2012/11/19/ncaa-college-football-head-coach-salary-database/1715543/

Its pretty certain that he did speak to Maturi the AD at the Gophers several years ago, about the position, however at the time WDAY sports in Fargo interviewed
Maturi that Coach Bohl was one of the people that Gopher supporters said they did not want him to hire.

Also Maturi mentioned in the interview that people in Fargo had no idea how happy that Bohl was to be at NDSU. Also last year it was pointed out that
Bohl and Taylor worked very hard to get the extension signed before so it not be an detraction for the playoffs.

Its common knowledge that Bohl will not acknowledge if he is interviewing at FBS schools by his personal preference.

We feel he is happy at NDSU.

CaBisonFan
06-12-2013, 08:15 PM
I doubt that you'll find many people here that agree with me...

...but I think that the goal is for Bohl & Taylor to bring NDSU into the FBS over the next 7 or 8 years.

For sure, they'd love to win a couple more national titles in the FCS...but the real goal is to make the transition.

td577
06-12-2013, 08:18 PM
I am pretty sure Coach Bohl has a price tag that could lure him from here. I also think it would take the perfect storm. Ndsu has a nice football facility, nice academic atmosphere, and a great booster system. These aren't easy things to build anywhere you are at. While there are programs at the FCS level with these three factors; are they looking for a coach, are they willing to put in five years for CB to build his system, and is their name Nebraska, for starters? I am sure there isn't anyone who will overlook the magnitude of the next level but there really aren't that many programs at the BCS level that can really say they have unwavering booster support. I think CB can go to bed pretty much every night knowing he will wake up with the support needed to build this program his way. Can Kill say that? There will always be bumps along the way but right now there are multiple players getting NFL invites every year, multiple championships, and batshit crazy support from the community. He finishes this contract and he becomes an immediate candidate to follow Taylor's steps. It's a pretty good gig if you can get it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KSBisonFan
06-12-2013, 11:10 PM
I am pretty sure Coach Bohl has a price tag that could lure him from here. I also think it would take the perfect storm. Ndsu has a nice football facility, nice academic atmosphere, and a great booster system. These aren't easy things to build anywhere you are at. While there are programs at the FCS level with these three factors; are they looking for a coach, are they willing to put in five years for CB to build his system, and is their name Nebraska, for starters? I am sure there isn't anyone who will overlook the magnitude of the next level but there really aren't that many programs at the BCS level that can really say they have unwavering booster support. I think CB can go to bed pretty much every night knowing he will wake up with the support needed to build this program his way. Can Kill say that? There will always be bumps along the way but right now there are multiple players getting NFL invites every year, multiple championships, and batshit crazy support from the community. He finishes this contract and he becomes an immediate candidate to follow Taylor's steps. It's a pretty good gig if you can get it.

Snyder can't coach forever and when the time comes, Bohl's name could/should be in the conversation to replace him. I know that probably won't happen because KSU will need to make a big splash to replace the Old Man and they don't want to relive the Ron Prince fiasco. There are a lot of good coaches with ties to KSU who will be front-runners (Leavitt, Bennett, Venables, Dimel, Mangino, etc) but assuming Bohl's success continues he would fit. He has a successful track record, established recruiting footprint in Nebraska and KS and could recruit to Manhattan. He's a fan friendly coach and Manhattan and the media are crazy loyal to Wildcat football. It's a step up and he'd have to entertain the idea. Flame away but 3-4 years from now it's not unreasonable.

Bison 4 Life
06-12-2013, 11:13 PM
This might be wishful thinking but I see him as a Jerry Moore type. Can write his own ticket for (almost) as long as he wants.

HerdBot
06-12-2013, 11:47 PM
Bohl is one of the highest paid fcs coaches in the nation and makes as much as many lower level FBS coaches. He gets several bonuses including free tuition for his son and a guaranteed administrative job if he wants it

Bohl is loyal and a rock star here. It would likely take some sort of bcs offer to leave. He won't go somewhere else to be a coordinater for more money.

Bohl is more concerned with giving his assistant coaches a raise

With that being said, we historically have kept all the systems in place and promoted from within with little dropoff. In the D2 era we went from Ron Erhardr, Jim Wacker, Don Morton, Earle Solomonson, and Rocky Hagar with a similar system and prolonged success. There were some changes but generally we stuck with what was the veer option from Morton to Hager. I think Wacker started it. Not sure what Ron Erhard t ran

tony
06-12-2013, 11:53 PM
This might be wishful thinking but I see him as a Jerry Moore type. Can write his own ticket for (almost) as long as he wants.

Well, except that App State canned Jerry Moore. Besides, no football coach at NDSU can ever feel safe.

If Coach Bohl wanted to coach a BCS team, he'd take the sideways step to a MAC-type school for a couple years and move on to the B1G.

EndZoneQB
06-12-2013, 11:53 PM
Snyder can't coach forever and when the time comes, Bohl's name could/should be in the conversation to replace him. I know that probably won't happen because KSU will need to make a big splash to replace the Old Man and they don't want to relive the Ron Prince fiasco. There are a lot of good coaches with ties to KSU who will be front-runners (Leavitt, Bennett, Venables, Dimel, Mangino, etc) but assuming Bohl's success continues he would fit. He has a successful track record, established recruiting footprint in Nebraska and KS and could recruit to Manhattan. He's a fan friendly coach and Manhattan and the media are crazy loyal to Wildcat football. It's a step up and he'd have to entertain the idea. Flame away but 3-4 years from now it's not unreasonable.

If Pelini wavers at Nebraska, I expect his name to come up as well.

tony
06-13-2013, 12:04 AM
The Kansas State program is doing well. Why wouldn't they promote one of Coach Snyder's assistants?

IzzyFlexion
06-13-2013, 12:45 AM

hey dinklips.......what's with the avatar?

KSBisonFan
06-13-2013, 01:01 AM
The Kansas State program is doing well. Why wouldn't they promote one of Coach Snyder's assistants?

I really think they want someone with head coaching experience and I'm not sure there's an assistant on staff right now who's being groomed to be Snyder's replacement.

KSBisonFan
06-13-2013, 01:34 AM

It's a picture of a guy who's going to unleash the beast on KSU.....

td577
06-13-2013, 01:49 AM

I think CB has proved that if a BCS school comes knocking he will sit down and listen. It would be foolish not to. There are some insane amounts of money out there that could set his great grandchildren up. I just get the feeling his is extremely loyal to what NDSU has done for him and will only leave for the "perfect" job. Certainly, I would think KSU would be one of them. Unless you are a college football junkie or in FCS, he is a relative unknown past his coaching peers at any level. Then again, outside Ohio, Jim Tressel was relatively obscure, as well.

BisonTeacher
06-13-2013, 02:10 AM

Must spread rep Izzy. I have never heard the term dinklips , and i work with middle schoolers! Nice work.

And as for you Kansas state U ....bad form sir.

tony
06-13-2013, 02:16 AM
I think CB has proved that if a BCS school comes knocking he will sit down and listen. It would be foolish not to. There are some insane amounts of money out there that could set his great grandchildren up. I just get the feeling his is extremely loyal to what NDSU has done for him and will only leave for the "perfect" job. Certainly, I would think KSU would be one of them. Unless you are a college football junkie or in FCS, he is a relative unknown past his coaching peers at any level. Then again, outside Ohio, Jim Tressel was relatively obscure, as well.

Agreed. He'd listen. And, honestly, I think that Coach Bohl would do well anywhere. However, I don't think that FBS schools do such a great job of hiring considering that there were 31 openings this year. I think that it was Kolpack or Izzo who pointed out that not a single FCS coach was hired by a BCS school to be head coach. Check out the link below, 31 FBS coaching jobs and only one was filled by an FCS coach - San Jose State hired San Diego's head coach. Every other job was FBS to FBS.

http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/coaching_changes.html

tjbison
06-13-2013, 02:21 AM
Agreed. He'd listen. And, honestly, I think that Coach Bohl would do well anywhere. However, I don't think that FBS schools do such a great job of hiring considering that there were 31 openings this year. I think that it was Kolpack or Izzo who pointed out that not a single FCS coach was hired by a BCS school to be head coach. Check out the link below, 31 FBS coaching jobs and only one was filled by an FCS coach - San Jose State hired San Diego's head coach. Every other job was FBS to FBS.

http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/coaching_changes.html

interesting I didn't know this fact, I personally feel Bohl loves it here and isn't going to look to strong knowing his chance at an elite program this late in his career probably isn't going to happen, and height not give a shit he has rings from NDSU and Nebraska 2 programs that are storied and tradition rich in their divisions. doesn't exactly have to prove himself to anyone IMO. I'm all for him staying but understand if he leaves and will be grateful he was here when that day comes.

OnagaCat
06-13-2013, 01:18 PM
I really think they want someone with head coaching experience and I'm not sure there's an assistant on staff right now who's being groomed to be Snyder's replacement.

Dana Dimel would be the assistant with head coaching experience. Wyoming and Houston. Also a K-State graduate.

http://www.kstatesports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/dimel_dana00.html

KSBisonFan
06-13-2013, 07:52 PM
Kansas State U....your avatar looks really good now. You were right about it being humorous....

CAS4127
06-13-2013, 08:06 PM
Kansas State U....your avatar looks really good now. You were right about it being humorous....

Kinda nice isn't it??!!!?!?!?!?!?

KC Bison
06-17-2013, 01:40 PM
So, Mr. Kansas-State U, why does Bill Snyder hang around K-State for $2.2 million when he could go to U. of Iowa for $3.8 million. After all, he spent 10 years at U. of Iowa. I don't know anyone who claims that Bohl could get a $1.6 million raise by going to another school.

MarkyMark
06-17-2013, 02:37 PM
Dana Dimel would be the assistant with head coaching experience. Wyoming and Houston. Also a K-State graduate.

http://www.kstatesports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/dimel_dana00.html

Hope you hire this guy to replace Snyder.

I have always thought KSU is one of the places Bohl could end up.

OnagaCat
06-17-2013, 03:10 PM
So, Mr. Kansas-State U, why does Bill Snyder hang around K-State for $2.2 million when he could go to U. of Iowa for $3.8 million. After all, he spent 10 years at U. of Iowa. I don't know anyone who claims that Bohl could get a $1.6 million raise by going to another school.

I really don't think the money means that much to LHCBS. He has turned down several offers for more money to leave K-State and has stated many times that he does not want to leave. It's his program, he has total control and is God in Manhattan. He loves K-State, the people there and they love him. Why would he leave? Manhattan is a great place to live.

THEsocalledfan
06-17-2013, 03:49 PM
Great comments. I think the two most important to understand for outsiders:

1. Bohl is deeply loyal to Gene T. the AD. Gene rescued him from a horrible situation after having been fired from Nebraska, and has stuck by him through the thick and thin. I think many underestimate how much the has meant to Bohl.

2. Couple this with the fact that he is at the top of FCS salaries, has literally everything a coach could want, it makes it hard to move unless an FCS job would come open. For the life of me, one of the great mysteries in life is why a MAC job is considered a step up from NDSU....

tony
06-17-2013, 04:41 PM
2. Couple this with the fact that he is at the top of FCS salaries, has literally everything a coach could want, it makes it hard to move unless an FCS job would come open. For the life of me, one of the great mysteries in life is why a MAC job is considered a step up from NDSU....

The only thing the MAC offers is an easier path to a BCS job. Other than that, it's a step sideways (at best) into a situation where a coach would be bottom 10% in facilities and budget instead of top 5% - a lot harder to win that way.

THEsocalledfan
06-17-2013, 04:53 PM
The only thing the MAC offers is an easier path to a BCS job. Other than that, it's a step sideways (at best) into a situation where a coach would be bottom 10% in facilities and budget instead of top 5% - a lot harder to win that way.

Exactly. One other issue is how much money does one person really need? Craig should clearly have enough to live comfortably the rest of his life; beyond that, it is just "more." So, you risk everything for more money? I don't think so, particularly now that he is in the "legacy" portion of his career.

And why the MAC is an easier place for a coach to get to a top tier FCS program is still a mystery to me, but quite valid.

westnodak93bison
06-17-2013, 05:35 PM
Many people "sacrifice" money for one reason or another.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

td577
06-17-2013, 09:08 PM
Many people "sacrifice" money for one reason or another.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I completely agree. My wife and I have had this discussion about different opportunities in her field. Money is about 6th on the list. I know we can live with less money if she is genuinely happy with what she is doing. But I also know if someone offered her 10 times what she is making now and we can attain financial security for not only us but maybe our children, she would be very hard pressed to not listen to the offer. Then we would certainly go back and figure out what we would have to give up.

Bohl's contract is set up for him to easily take a BCS job. He understands there might be a situation out there he might not be able to say no to. He also set it up where everyone wins. The school gets paid and Bohl gets paid.

I don't think it would be very smart to say never, but I don't think it will be a MAC team luring him away, either. It will take a BCS program with deep pockets and a deeper commitment. Otherwise he is paid like a MAC coach, treated like a rockstar here, and already consistently out-recruits the bottom 1/2 or more of FCS. It would take multiple losing seasons to lose his job and he has a job in waiting when he is finished.

I know a lot of things have been said already, but I think the only surprise would ever be is if he left this program for anything less than a BCS school. If they don't want him, it is really no skin off his ass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TransAmBison
06-19-2013, 04:22 AM
Exactly. One other issue is how much money does one person really need? Craig should clearly have enough to live comfortably the rest of his life; beyond that, it is just "more." So, you risk everything for more money? I don't think so, particularly now that he is in the "legacy" portion of his career.

And why the MAC is an easier place for a coach to get to a top tier FCS program is still a mystery to me, but quite valid.Should have and does have are two completely different things. You make more, you spend more. Look at Leghorn...he wears wolf t-shirts from truck stops because he wants to. When the day comes that he gets married, he will wear wolf t-shirts because that is all he can afford.