PDA

View Full Version : Opponent Profile 2013: Northern Iowa

tony
05-23-2013, 03:38 AM
Here's the thread for previewing the 2013 Panthers. Just curious what people have been hearing / thinking about the various MVFC teams.

Summary:

Offense: They are losing both tackles and their center but have QB Kollmorgen, WR (LeMaster) and a RB (David Johnson) - all are on FCS Watch Lists.
Defense: Losing their entire starting secondary
Special teams: They have their kicker back
Coaching: Three new coaches... must have had some turnover.
Transfers In/Out: +Brion Carnes a 4-star recruit from Nebraska (transferred after spring ball wants to be a QB) plus three DB transfers.

Detail:

If they can rebuild the line, their offense should be better despite losing the crazy 4.19 speed of T. Sinkfield. Their QB isn't a freshman anymore which should help.
They are losing all four starters in the secondary - a secondary that Brock dissected last year. Three transfers and a freshman are coming in though.
After their schedule nightmare last year (first five games: Wisconsin, a D2 school, Iowa, Youngstown State, NDSU - guess which one they won), they have done well with the 2013 slate: 12 DI games with only one FBS, Iowa State. However, they made a classic blunder: They scheduled a home-and-home with a Big Sky team with the first game at Northern Colorado.
Last year's game: NDSU only punted once, had no turnovers, and scored on 7 of 9 possessions before kneeling to run out the clock. UNI only punted once too, but they also had three turnovers. The only bad thing for NDSU was having 1st and 10s at the 11, 15, 18, and 19 and only getting 9 points.

ndsubison1
05-23-2013, 05:09 AM
lose sinkfield too. i expect UNI to step up and be a playoff team again. wouldve been one last year but schedule hurt them

SportsLover
05-23-2013, 06:25 AM
You can add Marcus Horne to the transfer list I'm pretty sure. Probably won't play much this upcoming season but is a player to watch out for later.

BadlandsBison
05-23-2013, 01:52 PM
Dang, they got some monster transfers. This will be a very tough game.

I still wish we could get some transfers like that.

Bison bison
05-23-2013, 02:24 PM
After their schedule nightmare last year (first five games: Wisconsin, a D2 school, Iowa, Youngstown State, NDSU - guess which one they won), they have done well with the 2013 slate: 12 DI games with only one FBS, Iowa State. However, they made a classic blunder: They scheduled a home-and-home with a Big Sky team with the first game at Northern Colorado

Hah!

Boy did they.

Next thing we know they'll get involved in a land war in Asia!

tony
05-23-2013, 03:16 PM

Well, let's see how these transfers pan out first. For example, I had forgotten about Marcus Horne (thanks walkerstheman), but UNI has their 2013 roster up, including incoming freshmen / transfers, and Marcus Horne isn't on it.

westnodak93bison
05-23-2013, 03:23 PM
I read on panther nation that they may be going to a 3-4 defense.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

BadlandsBison
05-23-2013, 03:23 PM
Well, let's see how these transfers pan out first. For example, I had forgotten about Marcus Horne (thanks walkerstheman), but UNI has their 2013 roster up, including incoming freshmen / transfers, and Marcus Horne isn't on it.

Interesting... Unfortunate for Marcus, perhaps good for my sanity. I think Farley's rage-gauge is almost at full capacity and he's pulling out every resource to beat NDSU again. Each night he dreams of another conference championship on the garage door.

BisonNation11
05-23-2013, 05:01 PM

I've said it once and I will say it again. Transfers will make you competitive but you can't replace team chemistry and trust. Yeah this will be a tough game, but the better team will win.

MarkyMark
05-23-2013, 05:06 PM

I think Marcus Horne is ineligible to play for academic reasons. Thought I had read that somewhere on the UNI Panther site.

Bison Dan
05-23-2013, 05:27 PM
I think Marcus Horne is ineligible to play for academic reasons. Thought I had read that somewhere on the UNI Panther site.I don't doubt that - wish he would have come here, maybe the coaches could have gotten him straighten out.

Bison"FANatic"
05-23-2013, 06:27 PM
I think Marcus Horne is ineligible to play for academic reasons. Thought I had read that somewhere on the UNI Panther site.

A person on the UNI site that says he works closely with the equipment manager and has gone to all the practices this spring said this:

"The Mich. St running back who transferred here has academic issues and has not been practicing with the team. Been told that he has a long way to go to get academically eligible "

Bison Dan
05-23-2013, 06:36 PM
A person on the UNI sight that says he works closely with the equipment manager and has gone to all the practices this spring said this:

"The Mich. St running back who transferred here has academic issues and has not been practicing with the team. Been told that he has a long way to go to get academically eligible "I hope they burn a scholly on him.

DePereBisonFan
05-23-2013, 09:08 PM
Hah!

Boy did they.

Next thing we know they'll get involved in a land war in Asia!

Inconceivable.

Also, didn't we think at one point that Marcus Horne committed to NDSU, until he accepted an offer from Michigan State? Weren't there some comparisons to Barry Sanders??

tony
05-24-2013, 02:50 PM
Inconceivable.

Also, didn't we think at one point that Marcus Horne committed to NDSU, until he accepted an offer from Michigan State? Weren't there some comparisons to Barry Sanders??

I looked back and there was some definite excitement about Horne, but it was Mark Ingram being compared to Barry Sanders (in one of the many side discussions about 40 times.)