PDA

View Full Version : 2013 ND State Track Meet

tony
05-23-2013, 02:06 AM
Freaking weather... the forecast I saw is calling for 20+ mph winds.

Wish I could be there anyway. Hopefully, future Bison Morgan Milbrath has recovered from her hamstring injury, but there is a ton of talent out there again. Anybody know where Jaime Heinen-Lugert is going to college? He's really jumping well this spring (24+ feet in the long jump and 47+ in the triple.)

Castor Troy
05-23-2013, 02:23 PM
I did a quick search and found nothing on Jaime. He has been overshadowed by others in the state, but in my opinion his long jump mark is the best performance in the state. I also think that the horizontal jumps is a big need for the men's team and they have to sign this guy.

For comparison sake, here are the top marks in the history of the Minnesota State Meet:

Long Jump
24-9.25 Von Shepard, St. Paul Central, 1982
24-8.75 B.J. Otto, Hill-Murray, Maplewood, 2007
24-4.75 Leonard Jones, Minneapolis Henry, 1990
24-3.00 Dave Eiland, Minneapolis Roosevelt, 1975
24-3.00 Tyrone Minor, St. Paul Central, 1989
24-1.25 Reondo Davis, Blaine, 1998
24-0.50 Bob Peller, St. Paul Cretin, 1982
24-0.50 Robby Bunke, Rushford-Peterson-Houston, 1992

The state meet record for North Dakota was set by Nate Keller in 1998 with a mark of 24' 6" which is one of more impressive records we have in ND.

tony
05-23-2013, 02:30 PM
Nice article in the Forum this morning:

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/400711/group/Sports/

(http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/400711/group/Sports/)The article mentions the three West Fargo jumpers and says that Christina Bruenjes (going for her fourth triple jump title) and Jordan Bishoff (6-8 high jumper) are going to NDSU. The article doesn't say anything about Jaime's post-high-school plans.

Also: http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/264274/
(http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/264274/)
Mentions that defending 110 hurdles champion from GF Red River, Loren Bothun, is going to NDSU.

Bison"FANatic"
05-23-2013, 02:40 PM
Hopefully, future Bison Morgan Milbrath has recovered from her hamstring injury

I hope that she is able to go. Looking forward to seeing her and Amanda go head to head. Been a tough spring for track but Amanda is ready to go for state.

td577
05-23-2013, 04:21 PM
Milbrath is fun to watch because she is a power runner. A lot of girls are more finesse and quickness where Milbrath powers her way through every race and makes it look effortless.

Castor Troy
05-23-2013, 04:55 PM
Milbrath is fun to watch because she is a power runner. A lot of girls are more finesse and quickness where Milbrath powers her way through every race and makes it look effortless.

Effortless power! Nice. I have never seen her run, but I know that Ryun is very excited. He missed a party that I was throwing because she was on campus for a volleyball game in the fall. You certainly have to be dedicated to recruit at the DI level.

imabison
05-23-2013, 05:26 PM
Freaking weather... the forecast I saw is calling for 20+ mph winds.

Wish I could be there anyway. Hopefully, future Bison Morgan Milbrath has recovered from her hamstring injury, but there is a ton of talent out there again. Anybody know where Jaime Heinen-Lugert is going to college? He's really jumping well this spring (24+ feet in the long jump and 47+ in the triple.)

Does anyone else agree that the success at the local college level also translates to more successful high school athletics in their events?

The high school athletes see and read stories about the success and they work harder to become better athletes no matter where they decided to
continue their education.

td577
05-23-2013, 11:34 PM
Does anyone else agree that the success at the local college level also translates to more successful high school athletics in their events?

The high school athletes see and read stories about the success and they work harder to become better athletes no matter where they decided to
continue their education.

I think it is the chicken or egg discussion. Does local talent improve the colleges or does successful college programs improve the lower levels?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

westnodak93bison
05-24-2013, 01:37 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong. This has to be the worst weather track season in 30 years.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

td577
05-24-2013, 02:25 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong. This has to be the worst weather track season in 30 years.

You are not wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Castor Troy
05-24-2013, 01:37 PM

Well, I would have to say that 1997 was the worst since we had a late snowstorm and a flood. Grand Forks had to evacuate and some athletes came down to Fargo to join teams here. The meet had to be relocated to Minot where the stadium was not appropriate for a state meet and the officials were the worst I have ever seen. Come to think of it, 2001 was not great either since the season for colleges was about 2 weeks long due to a late winter. High schools get a couple of extra weeks, but the colleges have their conference meets in the middle of May.

This year was certainly a tough one. I sure hope the weather holds up so we can get some great performances out of these athletes.

Kujava23
05-24-2013, 05:26 PM
I did a quick search and found nothing on Jaime. He has been overshadowed by others in the state, but in my opinion his long jump mark is the best performance in the state. I also think that the horizontal jumps is a big need for the men's team and they have to sign this guy.

For comparison sake, here are the top marks in the history of the Minnesota State Meet:

Long Jump
24-9.25 Von Shepard, St. Paul Central, 1982
24-8.75 B.J. Otto, Hill-Murray, Maplewood, 2007
24-4.75 Leonard Jones, Minneapolis Henry, 1990
24-3.00 Dave Eiland, Minneapolis Roosevelt, 1975
24-3.00 Tyrone Minor, St. Paul Central, 1989
24-1.25 Reondo Davis, Blaine, 1998
24-0.50 Bob Peller, St. Paul Cretin, 1982
24-0.50 Robby Bunke, Rushford-Peterson-Houston, 1992

The state meet record for North Dakota was set by Nate Keller in 1998 with a mark of 24' 6" which is one of more impressive records we have in ND.

Nate played CB for the BISON

gotts
05-24-2013, 05:48 PM
Live update from the gotts compound, just south of BSC: it's 12:45 PM and the weather still sucks.

MinotBison
05-25-2013, 01:53 PM
Milbrath is apparently not over her hamstring injury. She only qualified for a spot in the 400 meter run, and that was only a 9th place. In the 200 meter run, she ran a 26.99 and did not qualify for the finals. She won last years event with a 24.33. She is hopeful of running in some of the relays.

tony
05-26-2013, 12:53 AM
Milbrath is apparently not over her hamstring injury. She only qualified for a spot in the 400 meter run, and that was only a 9th place. In the 200 meter run, she ran a 26.99 and did not qualify for the finals. She won last years event with a 24.33. She is hopeful of running in some of the relays.

Wow, that sucks about Morgan.

Amanda Levin from West Fargo really ran well - would have been great to see those two square off.

Alexis Woods from Parshall is another pretty impressive junior - she ran a 58.05 400 without really impressive sprinting ability. Wonder what she'd do in a little longer race?

Josie Page from Carrington coming back from knee surgery tearing her ACL in basketball but forgoing knee surgery to sweep the 100 and 200 was pretty cool too (she's going to UND.)

By the way, Nathan Mangin from Lisbon - what a great track meet for him! He won the Class B 100 and 200.

And Kindred swept all three sprint relays with Class A-type times.

Jamie Heinen from West Fargo almost got 24' in the long jump (23-9.)

NDSU FB recruit, Jeff Illies, was named Class B male athlete of the year.

NDSU track recruit Morgan Milbrath was named Class A female athlete of the year.

That's what I love about the state track meet - there are a ton of story lines - I've only scratched the surface.

sambini
05-26-2013, 09:14 AM
How about Kira Larsons efforts to? State record in the high jump on Friday. Anchored all 3 sprint relays for Fargo North. 2 first and a second. Josey Page has not had knee surgery running on a torn acl.

westnodak93bison
05-26-2013, 07:41 PM
How about Kira Larsons efforts to? State record in the high jump on Friday. Anchored all 3 sprint relays for Fargo North. 2 first and a second. Josey Page has not had knee surgery running on a torn acl.

Yeah, nice job. I really thought she could get 6'