PDA

View Full Version : Badass Save Olympic Wrestling video

onbison09
05-03-2013, 09:45 PM
I know this isn't Bison related exactly but it's awesome http://www.flowrestling.org/video/707617-Save-Olympic-Wrestling

bisonaudit
05-03-2013, 10:05 PM
Good stuff.

Apparently they cut the audio from a longer take on Jay's radio show:

http://undercardsuperstar.com/2013/02/13/jay-mohrs-incredible-olympic-wrestling-rant-transcribed/

runtheoption
05-04-2013, 04:03 AM
To take wrestling away from the Olympic's is insulting, stupid, and any other word you can think of that degrades the idea of it being removed.

Ok, time for a bit of thread drift here. Sorry, but watching this video makes me want to share this.

I did not know anything about wrestling prior to this year, as I was always a basketball guy growing up. This winter, my 7 year old son (P-man) started wrestling for his school club. I helped the coach out at practice as much as I could, more of a "herding cats" job for me as they were 5-9 year old kids. There were quite a few weekend tourneys that we went to over the winter. I still don't know much about techniques, illegal moves, or how some things are scored after only 1 season of this, but I hope my son wants to continue so I can keep learning.

It was a whole new world for me. Watching the little 40 lb'ers battle it out on the mats was quite an experience. I was so ridiculously nervous before P-man's first tourney, which was also my first wrestling tourney I'd been to...I felt like I was going to be the one wrestling. My wife and I told him a couple of different times before the tourney "we don't care if you win, just try your hardest and have fun!" When he finally started his 1st match, you bet your ass I was mat-side, encouraging him as much as I could with my limited wrestling knowledge. Boy did he have fun! At one point in the middle of the match, P-man broke out into a big smile. Many parents commented positively to me after the match about that smile he gave.

P-man lost, but I didn't care one friggin bit. I actually had tears in my eyes that I tried to hide...my wife saw them, and she knew exactly why I had them. 7+ years ago, P-man was born weighing 1 lb, 6 oz., and his twin sister was only 1 lb even (she actually went under 1 lb for a few days after being born) at 26 weeks gestation. Them being alive and and completey healthy today is a miracle. Seeing P-man out there battling, trying his hardest that day and having fun doing it...it all came back to me at how lucky I was to be watching him compete. They were tears of complete, pure joy. It was an awesome experience!

onbison09
05-04-2013, 05:12 AM
To take wrestling away from the Olympic's is insulting, stupid, and any other word you can think of that degrades the idea of it being removed.

Ok, time for a bit of thread drift here. Sorry, but watching this video makes me want to share this.

I did not know anything about wrestling prior to this year, as I was always a basketball guy growing up. This winter, my 7 year old son (P-man) started wrestling for his school club. I helped the coach out at practice as much as I could, more of a "herding cats" job for me as they were 5-9 year old kids. There were quite a few weekend tourneys that we went to over the winter. I still don't know much about techniques, illegal moves, or how some things are scored after only 1 season of this, but I hope my son wants to continue so I can keep learning.

It was a whole new world for me. Watching the little 40 lb'ers battle it out on the mats was quite an experience. I was so ridiculously nervous before P-man's first tourney, which was also my first wrestling tourney I'd been to...I felt like I was going to be the one wrestling. My wife and I told him a couple of different times before the tourney "we don't care if you win, just try your hardest and have fun!" When he finally started his 1st match, you bet your ass I was mat-side, encouraging him as much as I could with my limited wrestling knowledge. Boy did he have fun! At one point in the middle of the match, P-man broke out into a big smile. Many parents commented positively to me after the match about that smile he gave.

P-man lost, but I didn't care one friggin bit. I actually had tears in my eyes that I tried to hide...my wife saw them, and she knew exactly why I had them. 7+ years ago, P-man was born weighing 1 lb, 6 oz., and his twin sister was only 1 lb even (she actually went under 1 lb for a few days after being born) at 26 weeks gestation. Them being alive and and completey healthy today is a miracle. Seeing P-man out there battling, trying his hardest that day and having fun doing it...it all came back to me at how lucky I was to be watching him compete. They were tears of complete, pure joy. It was an awesome experience!

Don't apologize for that. ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Awesome

344Johnson
05-04-2013, 03:00 PM

Great story. Keep him in it. My parents knew nothing about it but kept me in it. I ended up being pretty good and chicks dig it. Also, a lot of what you learn from it translates very well to football. While he is a kid, do your best to make it fun for him. Too many kids get (I assume unintentionally) burnt out from their parents constantly sending them to camps and making them wrestle way too much. I am sure there are plenty of others(parents, others who wrestled) who can offer a lot of advice on how to go about it. Keep doing a good job making it fun for him! Best feeling in sports is winning a wrestling match!

I think the Olympics will keep wrestling. People have been making a really big stink out of it. The fact that they are planning on getting rid of it has made me continue to lose respect for the Olympics.

BisoninNWMN
05-05-2013, 04:09 AM

Awesome story...thanks for sharing it!!!

onbison09
06-01-2013, 05:09 AM
Wrestling's still alive for the Olympics. In the final 3 for sports to get in

runtheoption
06-01-2013, 02:23 PM
Wrestling's still alive for the Olympics. In the final 3 for sports to get in +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

onbison09
09-08-2013, 03:44 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BTprsDSCEAAG5y0.png

runtheoption
09-09-2013, 07:15 PM
Yes!!!!!!!