PDA

View Full Version : Big 10 Will Stop Playing FCS teams....

Pages : [1] 2 3

NDSUstudent
04-28-2013, 06:40 PM
The league's athletic directors and presidents also approved a scheduling model that includes at least one team from a major FBS conference per year and no FCS teams. Delany hopes the model will be in place league-wide by 2016.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9220734/big-ten-schools-ok-realignment-9-game-schedule

HerdBot
04-28-2013, 06:55 PM
Wow... that kind of sucks. They should call it the Dakota's rule because we basically embarrassed the Big Ten numerous times, the most recent a prime time game on the Big Ten network. Appalachian didn't help matters either.

Not sure how this will impact us. We have the luxury of being able to survive without the money games. Other schools don't. Certainly it lowers our profile in the Big Ten footprint which happens to be our top recruiting areas. MN, WI, NE, and Illinois. More reason to try and get basketball in another league that covers those territories.

NDSUstudent
04-28-2013, 06:58 PM
If other conferences follow this model it will be a death blow to the FCS as we know it.

HerdBot
04-28-2013, 07:02 PM
If other conferences follow this model it will be a death blow to the FCS as we know it.

Death blow is probably extreme.

NDSUstudent
04-28-2013, 07:05 PM
Death blow is probably extreme.

The SoCon's commissioner basically said if the other conferences follow this model scholarships in the FCS will have to be cut. App State's AD cited this as being a reason why they left.

marenlee
04-28-2013, 07:11 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it wasn't really until the 2000's when B1G starting scheduling FCS teams regularely. I'm too lazy to look it up. Even the FBS scheduling the FCS as a whole really didn't take off until the last 10-15 years.

HerdBot
04-28-2013, 07:21 PM
The SoCon's commissioner basically said if the other conferences follow this model scholarships in the FCS will have to be cut. App State's AD cited this as being a reason why they left.

And the SoCon commissioner has nothing to do with the rest of the FCS. I highly doubt one game thst pays 4-500k would completely ruin an athletic department . Just like any other business model, you adapt.

If anything it weeds out the shitty and weak teams

NDSUstudent
04-28-2013, 07:38 PM
And the SoCon commissioner has nothing to do with the rest of the FCS. I highly doubt one game thst pays 4-500k would completely ruin an athletic department . Just like any other business model, you adapt.

If anything it weeds out the shitty and weak teams

Gabe not every FCS school is like NDSU...these games are a big part of many FCS schools football budgets.

These games are also big for recruiting and exposure. They are irreplaceable on that front.

BigBison
04-28-2013, 07:42 PM
This will really hurt UNI.

goldenshower
04-28-2013, 07:57 PM
Wow... that kind of sucks. They should call it the Dakota's rule because we basically embarrassed the Big Ten numerous times, the most recent a prime time game on the Big Ten network. Appalachian didn't help matters either.

Not sure how this will impact us. We have the luxury of being able to survive without the money games. Other schools don't. Certainly it lowers our profile in the Big Ten footprint which happens to be our top recruiting areas. MN, WI, NE, and Illinois. More reason to try and get basketball in another league that covers those territories.

Hahahaha hahahaha yes!!!! beating the gophers completely embarrassed the big ten and now they fear The Dakota schools hahahaha hilarious!!!

North Side
04-28-2013, 08:08 PM
Honestly, its a great move for the B1G "You can't win playing your little brother" Everyone expects you to win and if you don't the fans consider it an embarrassment. Only pluses for B1G teams playing FCS was slightly cheaper to play FCS over non BCS schools and should be an easier W. It will be interesting to see if teams low ranking B1G teams like the Gophers will make bowls now without the "give me" W.

This is horrible news for the FCS you know other major conferences will follow in the B1G foot steps.

HerdBot
04-28-2013, 08:19 PM
Gabe not every FCS school is like NDSU...these games are a big part of many FCS schools football budgets.

These games are also big for recruiting and exposure. They are irreplaceable on that front.

You still haven't explained how its a death blow. 3-400 isnt the end of football. Its less money than it takes to move up. Its a cut somewhere or a fundraising groups that needs to work harder

JSUBison
04-28-2013, 08:20 PM
Try to look on the bright side of things: if more FBS conferences follow suit, the cost of bringing in teams to Fargo should go down.

NorthernBison
04-28-2013, 08:24 PM
Some people owe Alvarez a mild apology. It appears he wasn't just talking out of his ass.

Funny how that works.

NDSUstudent
04-28-2013, 08:27 PM
You still haven't explained how its a death blow. 3-400 isnt the end of football. Its less money than it takes to move up. Its a cut somewhere or a fundraising groups that needs to work harder

Gabe for a lot of schools $300k is basically revenue that is equal to playing three or maybe four home games. Some schools have two of these games. Very few FCS schools are at all like NDSU and even for us these games are a big deal.

HerdBot
04-28-2013, 08:28 PM
Hahahaha hahahaha yes!!!! beating the gophers completely embarrassed the big ten and now they fear The Dakota schools hahahaha hilarious!!!

The gophers combined record vs NDSU, USD, and SDSU is 3-2. Easily could have been 5-0. Maybe UND could have beaten you guys too.

The game we won at TCF Bank has been erased from the archives. Try to find official highlights. They dont exist. Luckily for us it was a prime time game and everyone saw

westnodak93bison
04-28-2013, 08:32 PM
It's their way of trying to minimize parody in college football.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

HerdBot
04-28-2013, 08:35 PM
Gabe for a lot of schools $300k is basically revenue that is equal to playing three or maybe four home games. Some schools have two of these games. Very few FCS schools are at all like NDSU and even for us these games are a big deal.

300k is chump change when you look at an entire athletic dept. Will it be easy? No but they will adapt . If you were FCS, would you fold, trim fat, or raise the money?

Check out the 2012 athletic departments and the lowest funded team in the so conn is Georgia Southern. http://www.bbstate.com/info/schools-budget

Most SO Conn schools have budgets similar to SDSU and they do alright. 3 so con teams have larger budgets than we do.

goldenshower
04-28-2013, 11:11 PM
The gophers combined record vs NDSU, USD, and SDSU is 3-2. Easily could have been 5-0. Maybe UND could have beaten you guys too.

The game we won at TCF Bank has been erased from the archives. Try to find official highlights. They dont exist. Luckily for us it was a prime time game and everyone saw

So that means it was a huge embarrassment for the big ten? Where do u come up with this? No fcs school win was ever bad for a conference, maybe a team but never the conference.

And by "everyone saw it" you mean gopher fans and ndsu fans right? Cause nobody nationally tuned in to watch Minnesota vs North Dakota!

tjbison
04-28-2013, 11:20 PM
So that means it was a huge embarrassment for the big ten? Where do u come up with this? No fcs school win was ever bad for a conference, maybe a team but never the conference.

And by "everyone saw it" you mean gopher fans and ndsu fans right? Cause nobody nationally tuned in to watch Minnesota vs North Dakota!

correct, also nationally nobody tuns in for any Gopher game.

as far as the topic it is what it is, we will be fine

NorthernBison
04-28-2013, 11:22 PM

You are correct. Any embarrassment applies to the program and not the conference. I would even say the embarrassment to Gopher football is minor. The program's list of embarrassing losses is so long that the NDSU games get lost in the wretchedness.

goldenshower
04-28-2013, 11:40 PM
You are correct. Any embarrassment applies to the program and not the conference. I would even say the embarrassment to Gopher football is minor. The program's list of embarrassing losses is so long that the NDSU games get lost in the wretchedness.

Wish I could disagree

reformedUNDfan
04-28-2013, 11:44 PM
Some people owe Alvarez a mild apology. It appears he wasn't just talking out of his ass.

Funny how that works.

thats like saying that star trek wasn't making it up giving their ships warp drives because 50 years later we are indeed working on warp drives. They (and he) were both full of it back then.

goldenshower
04-28-2013, 11:47 PM
correct, also nationally nobody tuns in for any Gopher game.

as far as the topic it is what it is, we will be fine

Can't disagree! Ndsu and Minnesota have something in common, no one nationally cares about our favorite programs!

HerdBot
04-28-2013, 11:48 PM

It was a prime time game on the Big Ten Network. Believe me many people saw it. It makes the league look weak. Kind of like when the NBA Olympic team loses to foreign teams or when the MLB All stars lose in the world baseball classic to foreign teams.It makes the league look 2nd rate. The difference with the Gophers is they lose most of the time.

goldenshower
04-29-2013, 12:00 AM
It was a prime time game on the Big Ten Network. Believe me many people saw it. It makes the league look weak. Kind of like when the NBA Olympic team loses to foreign teams or when the MLB All stars lose in the world baseball classic to foreign teams.It makes the league look 2nd rate. The difference with the Gophers is they lose most of the time.

The gophers losing has never made the big ten look weak! The gophers have been a bottom feeder for a long time with some good years mixed in between. I think if any loss made a conference looked weak was when Michigan lost to appy st. Michigan was actually pretty damn good and appy shocked the world. People nationally will always remember that, no one remembers ndsu beating the gophers. Feel free to pretend ndsu is relevant nationally, I pretend the gophers are relevant as well. Go Carey woods, hope he starts next year

MNLonghorn10
04-29-2013, 12:09 AM
sucks locally because the B1G is regionally the closest BCS conference for NDSU, it is also a conference in which NDSU football could compete with the lower-mid teams of the B1G.

makes total sense from a B1G stand point. It was predictable how NDSU fans immediately lashed at big brother Minnesota saying they were afraid of little brother NDSU. NDSU should start scheduling St Cloud St, MSUM and UM Duluth now if they want to view things from how the Gophers have to with the Bison.

56BISON73
04-29-2013, 12:16 AM

Except for NDSU and MN fans WHO remembers it? There has been talk of the B10 teams playing everyone in the conference. If that comes about that wont leave many dates for ooc.

BisonNation11
04-29-2013, 12:18 AM
Except for NDSU and MN fans WHO remembers it? There has been talk of the B10 teams playing everyone in the conference. If that comes about that wont leave many dates for ooc.

Pretty sure they also agreed to play 9 conference games a year starting in 2016. Sorry if it was mentioned before.

56BISON73
04-29-2013, 12:22 AM
Pretty sure they also agreed to play 9 conference games a year starting in 2016. Sorry if it was mentioned before.

Thanks. I hadnt heard anything definitive.

HerdBot
04-29-2013, 12:23 AM

National doesn't matter. The midwest is where we recruit and people pay attention. I could give 2 shits what some hick in Alabama or art phag in San Francisco thinks.

But the Big Ten is smart to play each other. Seem to make sense

NDSUstudent
04-29-2013, 12:25 AM
This is so depressing. I'm guessing other conferences will follow this but it impacts the MVFC hard right away.

These games were great for NDSU, exposure that we can't possibly buy.

HerdBot
04-29-2013, 12:27 AM
This is so depressing. I'm guessing other conferences will follow this but it impacts the MVFC hard right away.

These games were great for NDSU, exposure that we can't possibly buy.

Do the math. If all FBS teams stop playing FCS, they will play each other. That means half of the FBS teams wont have games. Doesn't add up

HerdBot
04-29-2013, 12:31 AM
Can't disagree! Ndsu and Minnesota have something in common, no one nationally cares about our favorite programs!

Almost 5 million watched you guys choke in the latest Bowl game which was the 12th highest rated Bowl Game

unbison
04-29-2013, 12:31 AM
Wtf are you talking about gabe? They won't have games?

HerdBot
04-29-2013, 12:46 AM
Wtf are you talking about gabe? They won't have games?

Apparently you never passed 7th grade math.

NDSUstudent
04-29-2013, 12:46 AM
Do the math. If all FBS teams stop playing FCS, they will play each other. That means half of the FBS teams wont have games. Doesn't add up

Gabe I'm only talking about the top 5 conferences...I don't care about some MAC team that will pay an FCS $200-250k to come play...that game makes no sense for NDSU anyway.

Also Gabe the Big 10 is getting rid of a non-conference game by moving to a 9 game schedule...other conferences are also doing this(Big 12 and Pac 12..plus the SEC is looking at it). The Big 10 is basically trading a conference game for the FCS game that their teams used to play.

unbison
04-29-2013, 12:50 AM
Apparently you never passed 7th grade math.
What math you tard.... Every fcs fbs game has one of each of the above mentioned teams so saying they can't play each other but can play with in there own group leaves equal number of games.... Guess story problems were a epic fail for you

HerdBot
04-29-2013, 12:50 AM
Gabe I'm only talking about the top 5 conferences...I don't care about some MAC team that will pay an FCS $200-250k to come play...that game makes no sense for NDSU anyway.

Also Gabe the Big 10 is getting rid of a non-conference game by moving to a 9 game schedule...other conferences are also doing this(Big 12 and Pac 12..plus the SEC is looking at it). The Big 10 is basically trading a conference game for the FCS game that their teams used to play.

Which brings us back to my original question. How is that a death punch for the fcs?

NorthernBison
04-29-2013, 12:51 AM
thats like saying that star trek wasn't making it up giving their ships warp drives because 50 years later we are indeed working on warp drives. They (and he) were both full of it back then.

Wrong. The Alvarez comments were made a couple months ago. Immediately followed by Forum writers scrambling for confirmation and Gene having to address it. People clung to the comment that nothing was final and said Alvarez spoke out of school.

Well, now it's fricken final by a vote of the Presidents.

That's what I meant. Barry wasn't wrong even if he probably should have not made his comments when he did.

JSUBison
04-29-2013, 12:55 AM

Maybe the Valley will look to do the same, 9 game conference schedule.

Billings
04-29-2013, 01:02 AM
NM already covered elsewhere

HerdBot
04-29-2013, 01:05 AM
What math you tard.... Every fcs fbs game has one of each of the above mentioned teams so saying they can't play each other but can play with in there own group leaves equal number of games.... Guess story problems were a epic fail for you

I am talking if the entire FBS stopped playing FCS. Lets say you have a league of 100 teams that all need to schedule 1 additional home game each year to replace an FCS game.

HerdBot
04-29-2013, 01:06 AM
Maybe the Valley will look to do the same, 9 game conference schedule.

You know... sure would make the season better than Prairie View. Why not help each other out

unbison
04-29-2013, 01:09 AM
I am talking if the entire FBS stopped playing FCS. Lets say you have a league of 100 teams that all need to schedule 1 additional home game each year to replace an FCS game.

Not as many home games maybe but not less games

HerdBot
04-29-2013, 01:10 AM
Try this Forum. http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?30258-Big-10-Will-Stop-Playing-FCS-teams....

Billings
04-29-2013, 01:11 AM
thanks

Sorry for the misplaced post

Billings
04-29-2013, 01:16 AM
Big is responding to BIG TV money who want an all FBS schedule for the money they pay. They also are seeing the strength of schedule come into play for the new FBS playoffs for the very first time.

Really doubt the MAC. AAC, MWC, sunbelt, or CUSA stop scheduling FCS teams though we pay less

HerdBot
04-29-2013, 01:30 AM
Not as many home games maybe but not less games

Think about how pissed Bison Nation is by not having 6 home games. Why would half the FBS guarantee 1 less home game every other year. Sounds like a lose lose. Now if the Big Ten only wants to play Big Ten teams, I could care less. Its a smart move (they would likely partner w another conference)
But if the entire fbs does it, there are not enough teams to fill all the slots

Billings
04-29-2013, 01:33 AM
The Big 10 will have no problem bringing in a MAC team every year or signing 2-1 deals with the MWC or CUSA for that 7th home game. Might even be more neutral site games. Nebraska wanted WYo to do a neutral site game in Denver a few years ago I do agree the entire FBS won't do this as the big boys want to keep 7 home games while the MAC, etc will need the FCS to keep 6 home games

56BISON73
04-29-2013, 01:33 AM
Think about how pissed Bison Nation is by not having 6 home games. Why would half the FBS guarantee 1 less home game every other year. Sounds like a lose lose. Now if the Big Ten only wants to play Big Ten teams, I could care less. Its a smart move (they would likely partner w another conference)
But if the entire fbs does it, there are not enough teams to fill all the slots

How do you figure that?

goldenshower
04-29-2013, 01:36 AM
Almost 5 million watched you guys choke in the latest Bowl game which was the 12th highest rated Bowl Game

Well I guess you're saying the gophers are relevant while ndsu is not at the national level. Thanks for the self esteem boost. We were 14 point dogs, no choke job. Tech was supposed to win and they did.

I'm confident you guys beat kstate good luck and hopefully you guys stay healthy

HerdBot
04-29-2013, 01:41 AM
How do you figure that?

Half the teams would have 1 more home game every year and the other half would be on the road. Most schools wouldn't want that which is is why its likely to only happen with the big conferences. That brings us back to the 3 levels of football that is inevitable with lower Levelbfbs playing fcs

56BISON73
04-29-2013, 01:47 AM
Half the teams would have 1 more home game every year and the other half would be on the road. Most schools wouldn't want that which is is why its likely to only happen with the big conferences. That brings us back to the 3 levels of football that is inevitable with lower Levelbfbs playing fcs

There are plenty of teams in the FBS to fill out open dates. The only reason they have been scheduling tomatoe cans is---they are tomatoe cans. But thats all changed with the new playoffs etc and conferences going to play more conference game(as they should).

NDSUstudent
04-29-2013, 01:50 AM
Which brings us back to my original question. How is that a death punch for the fcs?

Straight from the SoCon comish....

Iamarino said that if FBS games dry up completely, the FCS’s 63-scholarship requirement might be reconsidered.

“The only reason to have 63 scholarships is to be eligible to play FBS teams and count toward their bowl eligibility,” he said. “If those games go away, the entire subdivision would have to look at if 63 is the right number. Could we save expenses by reducing the number of scholarships? It would seem to me that’s one thing that would have to be looked at.”

http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20130223/PC20/130229624

If that happens...welcome back to DII football NDSU.

56BISON73
04-29-2013, 01:53 AM

""The only reason to have 63 scholarships is to be eligible to play FBS teams and count toward their bowl eligibility,”

That statement makes no sense to me. I think that comment we very self serving.

HerdBot
04-29-2013, 02:19 AM

Most So Conn teams have total athletic budgets comparable to NDSU.
http://www.bbstate.com/info/schools-budget
Georgia Southern had the smallest in the So Con. 300k per year is not going to break an athletic department with a budget of 14 million. It's all just political positioning. The so con has been a great conference for decades. Some conferences dont even play fbs games regularity . If the so con wants to cut scholarships let them. Makes our path to Frisco easier. As long as our conference remains committed I could care less.

Now if the ncaa cuts scholarships its time to get the hell out of D1aa

SlickVic
04-29-2013, 02:27 AM
pat the merlin he knows all he talks up ndsu on tailgate lot then on here belittles them people you all need to wake up b10 wont schedule ndsu and this year there are 4 more new playoff teams and the loss of app gsu thats 6 team swing to total d2 where u at mnlonghorn mountain west is for the best and summit is dead without sweatervest kampe make the move its not gonna be the same winning with 2 less programs in fcs

NDSUstudent
04-29-2013, 02:28 AM
Gabe the NCAA doesn't cut scholarships...schools vote on it and that is how it is decided. If the SoCon wants them cut I'd be very worried because obviously they are a top 4 conference.

I'd also argue NDSU has a budget bigger than most of those schools...tuition doesn't cost $30-50k at NDSU like it does at some private school. Furman spent over $9 million on athletic scholarships....NDSU spends a little bit over $3 million.

HerdBot
04-29-2013, 02:32 AM
There are plenty of teams in the FBS to fill out open dates. The only reason they have been scheduling tomatoe cans is---they are tomatoe cans. But thats all changed with the new playoffs etc and conferences going to play more conference game(as they should).

I guess all we can do is wait and see. Either way it will be interesting. We all would love to see NDSU give the BCS conference team in Kansa a going away party they won't soon forget.

MNLonghorn10
04-29-2013, 03:02 AM
pat the merlin he knows all he talks up ndsu on tailgate lot then on here belittles them people you all need to wake up b10 wont schedule ndsu and this year there are 4 more new playoff teams and the loss of app gsu thats 6 team swing to total d2 where u at mnlonghorn mountain west is for the best and summit is dead without sweatervest kampe make the move its not gonna be the same winning with 2 less programs in fcs
yep. mountain west. hope for the best!

HerdBot
04-29-2013, 04:34 AM
Gabe the NCAA doesn't cut scholarships...schools vote on it and that is how it is decided. If the SoCon wants them cut I'd be very worried because obviously they are a top 4 conference.

I'd also argue NDSU has a budget bigger than most of those schools...tuition doesn't cost $30-50k at NDSU like it does at some private school. Furman spent over $9 million on athletic scholarships....NDSU spends a little bit over $3 million.

I just dont think 300k is that much money. The commissioner can talk all he wants but one thing we forget is alumni and donors have a big say in this and the so con has a strong tradition. Its the private schools that are most concerning . I think your seeing more schools become committed. The Patriot league is going to offer the max soon. I think the Big Sky, CAA, Southland, OVC, and MVC are locks to stay fully funded. Obviously the ivy, swac, and pioneer would support a drop as they are non scholarship. Then you have the bubble conferences like the so conn, big south (half private schools), meac, nec.

If they were to all vote for a drop in scholarships I would want to get out of there quickly

Bisonator98
04-29-2013, 01:09 PM
MVFC should just go to a 9 game conference schedule. They should also look to a scheduling alliance with another FCS conference. NOT THE BIG FLUFFY!!!!

EndZoneQB
04-29-2013, 01:46 PM
MVFC should just go to a 9 game conference schedule. They should also look to a scheduling alliance with another FCS conference. NOT THE BIG FLUFFY!!!!

Um, why not? If it's as bad as we all believe it is, why wouldn't we want to play them every year?

tony
04-29-2013, 01:50 PM
Why would other BCS conferences follow the Big 10's lead?

Bisonator98
04-29-2013, 02:08 PM
Um, why not? If it's as bad as we all believe it is, why wouldn't we want to play them every year?

Um, because they are a bunch of back stabbing pansies!

tjbison
04-29-2013, 02:24 PM

good lord, let it go, "they" are not, Montana St made a choice nothing we can do, i bet the Griz come next year

Hammerhead
04-29-2013, 02:35 PM
If you look at the NCAA attendance figures, The schools with 8 or 7 home games in 2011 tended to be from the BCS auto-qualifier conferences, while teams with 6 or 5 home games were mostly from the non-AQ conferences.

RedRiver
04-29-2013, 02:44 PM
Yes, the MVFC should go to a full 9 game conference schedule and now they may be forced to.

Bisonator98
04-29-2013, 02:45 PM
good lord, let it go, "they" are not, Montana St made a choice nothing we can do, i bet the Griz come next year

We will see. I just do not think the big fluffy would be of benefit to most MVFC schools as we do not recruit that area much, the travel would be prohibitive, as opposed to one of the other conferences.

EndZoneQB
04-29-2013, 02:49 PM
We will see. I just do not think the big fluffy would be of benefit to most MVFC schools as we do not recruit that area much, the travel would be prohibitive, as opposed to one of the other conferences.

Ok, I'll bite. What conference should we play that has our recruiting grounds? OVC? Nope. CAA? Nope. SoCon? Nope. And so on. Big Sky? Yep, we recruit Arizona.

By your logic, you actually contradicted yourself.

Bisonator98
04-29-2013, 03:05 PM
Ok, I'll bite. What conference should we play that has our recruiting grounds? OVC? Nope. CAA? Nope. SoCon? Nope. And so on. Big Sky? Yep, we recruit Arizona.

By your logic, you actually contradicted yourself.

The OVC, SWAC, Southland, heck even the SoCon would be better. Our recruiting base is mainly to the south and east, Arizona is a flier.

EndZoneQB
04-29-2013, 03:09 PM
The OVC, SWAC, Southland, heck even the SoCon would be better. Our recruiting base is mainly to the south and east, Arizona is a flier.

Really? We have a lot of recruits out of those areas? And you call Arizona a "flier"? Stop. Just stop.

MNLonghorn10
04-29-2013, 03:13 PM

Go home. Youre drunk

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Bisonator98
04-29-2013, 03:21 PM
Really? We have a lot of recruits out of those areas? And you call Arizona a "flier"? Stop. Just stop.

How many kids do we have from Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, Washington, Oregon, Utah, California????

Bisonator98
04-29-2013, 03:22 PM
Go home. Youre drunk

Stay classy.

Hammerhead
04-29-2013, 03:42 PM
How many recruits do you think we get by playing in certain areas? For example, do you think someone from Kansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, etc. will decide to play at NDSU because they saw our game on TV or in person? Did we pick up anyone from Colorado or Wyoming this year due to our game at Colorado State?

I'm just wondering if there is any way to estimate how much our non-conference schedule actually impacts recruiting.

EndZoneQB
04-29-2013, 03:44 PM
How many kids do we have from Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, Washington, Oregon, Utah, California????

The same number we have from the ENTIRE conferences of OVC/Southland/SoCon/CAA/MEAC/Patriot/Pioneer/SWAC....

We have recruits from Arizona. There is a Big Sky team in Arizona that we often recruit against(among Montana/Montana State)...and weird, they get the BigSky channel so it could be televised for our recruits out of Zona.

Go home fake Bisonator, you're drunk.

How many recruits do you think we get by playing in certain areas? For example, do you think someone from Kansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, etc. will decide to play at NDSU because they saw our game on TV or in person? Did we pick up anyone from Colorado or Wyoming this year due to our game at Colorado State?

I'm just wondering if there is any way to estimate how much our non-conference schedule actually impacts recruiting.

I know we hit Kansas after we played down there, and we recruited a couple of guys from Colorado after we played there. Doesn't necessarily mean it worked out for us, but it was worth a shot.

Anyway, I'm not arguing that it is good for recruiting. What I am arguing is that Bisonator thinks playing the Big Sky won't help recruiting like playing other conferences....which is backwards.

Bisonator98
04-29-2013, 04:07 PM
The same number we have from the ENTIRE conferences of OVC/Southland/SoCon/CAA/MEAC/Patriot/Pioneer/SWAC....

We have recruits from Arizona. There is a Big Sky team in Arizona that we often recruit against(among Montana/Montana State)...and weird, they get the BigSky channel so it could be televised for our recruits out of Zona.

Go home fake Bisonator, you're drunk.

I know we hit Kansas after we played down there, and we recruited a couple of guys from Colorado after we played there. Doesn't necessarily mean it worked out for us, but it was worth a shot.

Anyway, I'm not arguing that it is good for recruiting. What I am arguing is that Bisonator thinks playing the Big Sky won't help recruiting like playing other conferences....which is backwards.

We have a kid from PA and 2 from Florida. Many more from IL which is by far closer to the OVC then the big fluffy. So you lose, go home and take another hit off your bong! What's your problem man? You can't win the argument so you need to be a punk?

It's not always about bringing in or exposing recruits. It's nice to offer a recruit a chance to play closer to his home, it allows parents to see more of their kids games, etc.

NDSUstudent
04-29-2013, 04:18 PM
AZ is a recruiting pipeline so he has a point.

MNLonghorn10
04-29-2013, 04:24 PM

Hes too stupid to understand what that means and how that correlates with an az team bein in the big sky

But hey..lets challenge for ovc recruits with a conference that hasnt won a playoff game in 30 years.

Bisonator98
04-29-2013, 04:27 PM

So we should align with another conference because of one state?

NDSUstudent
04-29-2013, 04:29 PM

We shouldn't be aligning with any conferences. The MVFC should add another conference game and we should try to schedule Arizona State, Arizona or even Northern Arizona.

Our recruiting basically seems targeted to ND, SD, NE, MN, IA, WI, IL, AZ and FL(which we started hitting last year). There aren't many alumni in FL but there are a ton in AZ, so it makes a lot of sense to play a game there.

Bison"FANatic"
04-29-2013, 04:37 PM
A lot of it comes from where the coaches have the connections to more than us playing in those areas I believe.

EndZoneQB
04-29-2013, 04:49 PM

Dude, you were the one that made the recruiting argument, no one else went there. To top it off, that one state is better than zero states in other conferences.

I just do not think the big fluffy would be of benefit to most MVFC schools as we do not recruit that area much

HerdBot
04-29-2013, 06:10 PM
I think our #1 recruiting area is easily MN, WI, NE, and then maybe Illinois and Arizona. Weve tinkered with Missouri and Iowa.

The Arizona pipeline has nothing to do with the few teams we've played. It's all AJ Cooper selling the program. The Big Sky isn't a household name in Arizona and we don't recruit any Big Sky territories outside of Arizona. All its going to do is get us a trip to Arizona once in a blue moon. Besides, we haven't had much success in Arizona. Really who has been our star from Arizona? What about Kansas?

The kids weve been getting from outside areas are sold on the program. They hear National Champions and want to be a part if it. If you want to market to those guys, keep getting games on Fox College Sports and ESPN3. Bring them in for a game

Stick to our traditional recruiting areas. Play teams that reside in areas we recruit. I think the OVC is great. The Horizon would be phenomenal.

Once again who are the up and coming players were hearing about this spring. woods, Dee Gray, stumph, thorton, Schaetz, cj Smith, Colvin, Luecke, and Liekus basically all Midwest kids.

Who are our best players? Our entire defense is from the Midwest. Stop trying to be something were not. Looks like UN_ finally figured that out this year

BisonJD
04-29-2013, 07:10 PM

No..this is an embarassment for the B1G:

When the final name was called on Saturday, the SEC had set a modern record with 63 draft picks, more than double that of any other conference. The SEC East alone had more picks (32) than the next-nearest conference, the ACC (31).

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20130429/sec-nfl-draft/#ixzz2Rsg8W2wD

If Minnesota's shit doesn't stink, why are you trolling a lowly FCS message board? Because NDSU has a better program and better fans that actually pay attention or because you can't hold your own on FBS sites? GF.

CaBisonFan
04-29-2013, 07:30 PM
Looks like Minnesota won't get to show us their next 'worst team.'

goldenshower
04-29-2013, 07:48 PM
No..this is an embarassment for the B1G:

When the final name was called on Saturday, the SEC had set a modern record with 63 draft picks, more than double that of any other conference. The SEC East alone had more picks (32) than the next-nearest conference, the ACC (31).

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20130429/sec-nfl-draft/#ixzz2Rsg8W2wD

If Minnesota's shit doesn't stink, why are you trolling a lowly FCS message board? Because NDSU has a better program and better fans that actually pay attention or because you can't hold your own on FBS sites? GF.

I have an interest in ndsu football because of Carey woods, was checking to see how he has been doing and came across some awesome posts.

And not sure how I was "trolling" I was just correcting gabe when he said fcs has embarrassed te conference because of Minnesota, it was a really stupid statement and I corrected him

Trumpster
04-29-2013, 07:53 PM
I have an interest in ndsu football because of Carey woods, was checking to see how he has been doing and came across some awesome posts.

And not sure how I was "trolling" I was just correcting gabe when he said fcs has embarrassed te conference because of Minnesota, it was a really stupid statement and I corrected him

Nevermind gabe. Ever.

SamsRams
04-29-2013, 08:33 PM

thanks. none of us would have ever had our own opinion without Ur comments. we all read what other posters say and go with it. you really saved the day.
now we understand. Minnesota is an everyday embarrassment the shines a bad light on the state, conference and bcs as a whole. thanks for clearing that up

HerdBot
04-29-2013, 09:14 PM

I stand corrected. Minnesota has done the Big 10 proud and they make the conference look good! Way to go Gophers!!!!!! You reprsented the Big 10 well on a prime time game. It strengthened the brand and separated the Big Ten in the eyes of viewers as a big dog. Certainly better than Nebraska vs Wyoming. And South Dakota schools are Big Ten caliber!! Especially the Yotes. No shame in losing to them. Even NDSU has struggled against them

goldenshower
04-29-2013, 09:50 PM
I stand corrected. Minnesota has done the Big 10 proud and they make the conference look good! Way to go Gophers!!!!!! You reprsented the Big 10 well on a prime time game. It strengthened the brand and separated the Big Ten in the eyes of viewers as a big dog. Certainly better than Nebraska vs Wyoming. And South Dakota schools are Big Ten caliber!! Especially the Yotes. No shame in losing to them. Even NDSU has struggled against them

Man, Purdue and Illinois might as well shut it down cause the gophers beat them last year. And boy Iowa sucks, they can't get a win at tcf bank. Minnesota has been bad but hardly the worst big ten program in te last 20 yrs. I love how guys like gabe act like the gophers are the worst bcs team in history yet will probably get together with his parents and brag about the win u guys had in 06 and 08. Or 07 and 09? Don't remember the years. The big ten overall has been bad for quite a while. Gophers made the big ten proud by making a bowl game and not getting blown out. It's all about baby steps for the U right now. If Jerry kill wins a bowl game this year we will be advancing nicely. I just don't understand how any reasonable person could think that the big ten is not playing fcs teams because of Minnesota. It's a retarded statement! So with that said, gabe is retarded...

goldenshower
04-29-2013, 09:51 PM
thanks. none of us would have ever had our own opinion without Ur comments. we all read what other posters say and go with it. you really saved the day.
now we understand. Minnesota is an everyday embarrassment the shines a bad light on the state, conference and bcs as a whole. thanks for clearing that up

What in the hell are you talking about?

tjbison
04-29-2013, 10:01 PM

let it go man, the B1G stopping the FCS games has ZERO to do with NDSU

CAS4127
04-29-2013, 10:02 PM
Just leave goldenpiss. If u can't follow SAMs post you don't belong here. Go watch your goofs go 6-6 to make a "bowl" game next year, and choke yet again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

acf2
04-29-2013, 10:03 PM
let it go man, the B1G stopping the FCS games has ZERO to do with NDSU
I don't think it is fair to say that. You can't argue with the excitement and publicity from playing against and beating Big Ten teams, which NDSU has done.

Elvis was a Bison
04-29-2013, 10:03 PM

Jeez, man! Put that Gopher education to work. Can't you see that he is saying in a nice way "BE GONE TROLL". This board functions just fine without any gopherology, whether you know Woods or not. By the way, he hasn't called lost and found looking for you, either.

CaBisonFan
04-29-2013, 10:04 PM
Man, Purdue and Illinois might as well shut it down cause the gophers beat them last year. And boy Iowa sucks, they can't get a win at tcf bank. Minnesota has been bad but hardly the worst big ten program in te last 20 yrs. I love how guys like gabe act like the gophers are the worst bcs team in history yet will probably get together with his parents and brag about the win u guys had in 06 and 08. Or 07 and 09? Don't remember the years. The big ten overall has been bad for quite a while. Gophers made the big ten proud by making a bowl game and not getting blown out. It's all about baby steps for the U right now. If Jerry kill wins a bowl game this year we will be advancing nicely. I just don't understand how any reasonable person could think that the big ten is not playing fcs teams because of Minnesota. It's a retarded statement! So with that said, gabe is retarded...

Some of the animosity here comes from Gopher fans who visited here...Gopher fans in the media...Gopher fans and their attitude at the stadium...Brewster telling our band that it can't play during the game in the dome...and other attempts to put down the entire state of North Dakota. Statements like..."at least I don't have to live in Fargo" were used at the stadium...one of several.

Minnesota hasn't known how to win for a while now. They have become known for choking when they have a chance to win. That's been going on for a long time. And in our experiences with the Gophers...they've become known for not knowing how to lose...thusly, the consistent statements about 'this is the worst Gopher team ever.'

When you lose...you compliment the winner and move on. It's the beginning of learning how to win.

BisonNeil
04-29-2013, 10:11 PM

Did you forget to put that comment in purple font :D

While it is true NDSU has had a number of kids from AZ, they don't tend to stay. There are currently only two on the roster, Champion and Farnlof.

NDSU has had more success in CA, and Sacramento State is in CA the last time I looked.

tjbison
04-29-2013, 10:23 PM
I don't think it is fair to say that. You can't argue with the excitement and publicity from playing against and beating Big Ten teams, which NDSU has done.

so you think all th B1G presidents voted for this because we beat the gophers twice and lost once??

BisonNeil
04-29-2013, 10:27 PM
Minnesota has been bad but hardly the worst big ten program in te last 20 yrs.

You're right, they are only the second worst team. Indiana is the worst, but they aren't beating the Goofers by much.

Conference and overall records since Penn State joined the league in 1993

Big Ten Games Overall
Team W L T Pct. W L T Pct.
Ohio State 124 35 1 0.778 200 51 1 0.796
Nebraska 12 4 0 0.750 19 8 0 0.704
Michigan 109 51 0 0.681 172 77 0 0.691
Penn State 102 58 0 0.638 171 76 0 0.692
Wisconsin 96 61 3 0.609 174 77 4 0.690
Iowa 81 78 1 0.509 138 105 1 0.568
Michigan State 80 79 1 0.503 135 109 1 0.553
Purdue 72 85 3 0.459 121 119 3 0.504
Northwestern 70 90 0 0.438 119 122 1 0.494
Illinois 51 108 1 0.322 91 143 1 0.389
Minnesota 50 110 0 0.313 104 136 0 0.433
Indiana 36 124 0 0.225 78 153 0 0.338

BisonNeil
04-29-2013, 10:30 PM
so you think all th B1G presidents voted for this because we beat the gophers twice and lost once??

Technically it was decided by the ADs :D

tony
04-29-2013, 10:30 PM

Probably has more to do with the "iron sharpens iron" theory of doing things. The flaw there is that Minnesota will be scheduling MAC teams, and if MAC teams are iron, then NDSU must be tungsten carbide.

SamsRams
04-29-2013, 10:36 PM

same thing you are talking about. Goophs are an embarrassment day in and day out regardless of how bad the football team is. you and I are in total agreement on that. I will work on getting Gabe to understand this point that you are trying to get through. You can now go back to the french fry machine and continue your job. We got it from here!

MAKBison
04-29-2013, 10:55 PM

I think that FCS teams competing with FBS teams has something to do with it. For recruiting purposes, its not good for the bottom dwellers of the big 10 to be beaten by FCS teams.

NorthernBison
04-29-2013, 11:09 PM
I think that FCS teams competing with FBS teams has something to do with it. For recruiting purposes, its not good for the bottom dwellers of the big 10 to be beaten by FCS teams.

It's not about recruiting. It's about the SOS of the entire conference and the possibility that THAT could impact the top team in the conference when playoff teams are selected.

The B1G will make that clear come selection time and THAT is why we need to be a bit concerned about other conferences following suit.

goldenshower
04-29-2013, 11:10 PM
same thing you are talking about. Goophs are an embarrassment day in and day out regardless of how bad the football team is. you and I are in total agreement on that. I will work on getting Gabe to understand this point that you are trying to get through. You can now go back to the french fry machine and continue your job. We got it from here!

Not sure we are talking about the same thing. Gabe thinks fcs losses for the gophers were so embarrassing for the big ten that a rule was created to prevent it from happening again.i corrected him and it appears he is either your dad or your idiot son that u have to try to protect. Sorry for hurting your families feelings

GOBISON123
04-29-2013, 11:11 PM
Last man standing tells the tale.
We beat them fair and square not once but twice and Gophers could not touch us.
Gophers and Big Ten are just cowards.
Instead of trying to redeem themselves they dug a deep hole and now they cannot come out.
For the rest of football history Gophers will go down as the team that got their ass kicked by Bison and could never beat Bison.
People will laugh at them for forever.

CAS4127
04-29-2013, 11:12 PM
It's not about recruiting. It's about the SOS of the entire conference and the possibility that THAT could impact the top team in the conference when playoff teams are selected.

The B1G will make that clear come selection time and THAT is why we need to be a bit concerned about other conferences following suit.

Well, what rating are they using?! Our Sarigin is higher than several B1G teams and those MAC or other schools they may play.

SamsRams
04-29-2013, 11:15 PM
Not sure we are talking about the same thing. Gabe thinks fcs losses for the gophers were so embarrassing for the big ten that a rule was created to prevent it from happening again.i corrected him and it appears he is either your dad or your idiot son that u have to try to protect. Sorry for hurting your families feelings

well at least we can both agree that the Goophs are the worst run athletic program in the Midwest. Why more kids dont chose Nebraska-Kearney over them is a miracle. Happy we could come to an agreement

tjbison
04-29-2013, 11:32 PM
Well, what rating are they using?! Our Sarigin is higher than several B1G teams and those MAC or other schools they may play.

it's perception and not reality

we all know the top tier of FCS is as good or better than the average MAC, SBC, CUSA teams but the B in their 3 letters over our C gives a false perception the strength and quality of opponent are superior

goldenshower
04-29-2013, 11:51 PM
Instead of trying to redeem themselves they dug a deep hole and now they cannot come out.
For the rest of football history Gophers will go down as the team that got their ass kicked by Bison and could never beat Bison.

Ndsu are cowards, go play Ohio st or Michigan. Why do u guys only play bottom feeders? Sounds like u guys fear playing the helmet schools

SamsRams
04-29-2013, 11:58 PM
Ndsu are cowards, go play Ohio st or Michigan. Why do u guys only play bottom feeders? Sounds like u guys fear playing the helmet schools

whole big 10 is bottom feeders

check neg rep.........again

CAS4127
04-29-2013, 11:58 PM

New Mexico State--'nuff said--> and, GFY of course!!

SlickVic
04-30-2013, 12:00 AM
Big10 afraid of NDSU loss big12 afraid of ndsu loss yo longhorn mountain west hope for best time to step up then we can play minnesota iowa wisconsin and penn state for $1 million win 6 games and party at alamo bowl sure beats frisco

NDSUstudent
04-30-2013, 12:04 AM

When is the last time the Gophers had a non-conference opponent on the schedule that was coming off of a BCS bowl game...careful with who you call cowards...NDSU is playing at K-State next year and the Gophers fear playing mid-level ACC teams like UNC.

MNLonghorn10
04-30-2013, 12:07 AM
Little brother North Dakota still can't get over that besides football, Minnesota does decent, or extremely well(volleyball, wrestling) in other B1G sports...ones where NDSU would struggle.

maybe NDSU's 2009 3-8 team should take on Minnesotas 2006 1-10 team who only lost by 6 pts to one of the best teams in NDSU history.

Gophers worst vs NDSU's worst. see who sucks more? Because obviously everyone is afraid of NDSU according to the non biased posters at all.

I dont get why goldenshower is even getting flack...hes been truthful this entire thread. he knows, we know that football isnt Minnesotas strong suit. It probably never will be. they still can play spoiler

56BISON73
04-30-2013, 12:09 AM

:facepalm::facepalm:

MNLonghorn10
04-30-2013, 12:11 AM
Big10 afraid of NDSU loss big12 afraid of ndsu loss yo longhorn mountain west hope for best time to step up then we can play minnesota iowa wisconsin and penn state for $1 million win 6 games and party at alamo bowl sure beats frisco
NDSU needs to be sending out feelers now. if ndsu was in the MW 10 years from now, imagine how far they would have come rather than just stayin on the titanic?...i mean FCS level

NorthernBison
04-30-2013, 12:25 AM
it's perception and not reality

we all know the top tier of FCS is as good or better than the average MAC, SBC, CUSA teams but the B in their 3 letters over our C gives a false perception the strength and quality of opponent are superior

Perception becomes reality.

goldenshower
04-30-2013, 12:26 AM
When is the last time the Gophers had a non-conference opponent on the schedule that was coming off of a BCS bowl game...careful with who you call cowards...NDSU is playing at K-State next year and the Gophers fear playing mid-level ACC teams like UNC.

U mean like USC?

goldenshower
04-30-2013, 12:31 AM
It's funny I came here to check up on a bison football player tht I have known since he was little. I never once was saying the gophers were dominant or even good, I simply replied to the big ten fears fcs stuff because it was stupid and makes no sense. I didnt think I was being out of line, I don't come on this site often and I remember why. Ndsu crazies want to turned this into a pissing match that I foolishly entered. Good luck next year

MNLonghorn10
04-30-2013, 12:45 AM
some of the fans can be outlandish. NDSU is a good school, good football program on a national rank but I agree...sometimes the fans can taint it. Shit just look at what their FB posted alone today:

spring game attendance smack..

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/935203_10151637901964532_1941867624_n.jpg

tjbison
04-30-2013, 12:49 AM
some of the fans can be outlandish. NDSU is a good school, good football program on a national rank but I agree...sometimes the fans can taint it. Shit just look at what their FB posted alone today:

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/935203_10151637901964532_1941867624_n.jpg

every successful program has rubes, it's not just NDSU

Elvis was a Bison
04-30-2013, 12:50 AM
NDSU needs to be sending out feelers now. if ndsu was in the MW 10 years from now, imagine how far they would have come rather than just stayin on the titanic?...i mean FCS level

If FBS is the only way you get wood, go back to cheering form Mac and the 'Horns. You post the same MW crap every day, and you can't see the forest for the trees. Pony up 5 mil and contribute substance instead of hot air.

Honeybooboo
04-30-2013, 12:56 AM
NDSU fans arguing with gopher fans about who is scared to play each other???

wtf, neither school is scared lots of delusion and little man syndrome on here. Lets face it even though posters here belittle the gophers they are in the Big 10, was it fun watching NDSU beat them twice? Hell Yes, but you also have to be realistic and know just because we beat them 1 time in a season we wouldn't run the B1G table, so what the hell is the sense of arguing about it like 2 nd graders

MNLonghorn10
04-30-2013, 01:08 AM
If FBS is the only way you get wood, go back to cheering form Mac and the 'Horns. You post the same MW crap every day, and you can't see the forest for the trees. Pony up 5 mil and contribute substance instead of hot air.
I've posted about it like once since GSU & App bailed on the titanic. But dont let the facts get in the way.

SamsRams
04-30-2013, 01:09 AM
http://thegazette.com/2013/04/29/iowa-still-likely-to-play-uni-in-2014-2018/

if you are following @bisonation on twitter this article states exactly what we said. Wonder how long it will take Izzo to agree and then claim he said it first.

1. It is not a mandate it is a model/suggestive route for teams to go
2. it does not affect teams who have already scheduled FCS teams past 2016
3. if the point is SOS, than playing top level FCS teams is more important than playing bottom of the pack MAC, MWC, C-USA, AAC or Sun Belt

MNLonghorn10

wtf, neither school is scared lots of delusion and little man syndrome on here. Lets face it even though posters here belittle the gophers they are in the Big 10, was it fun watching NDSU beat them twice? Hell Yes, but you also have to be realistic and know just because we beat them 1 time in a season we wouldn't run the B1G table, so what the hell is the sense of arguing about it like 2 nd gradersbecause its the offseason and there's nothing else to do

CAS4127
It's funny I came here to check up on a bison football player tht I have known since he was little. I never once was saying the gophers were dominant or even good, I simply replied to the big ten fears fcs stuff because it was stupid and makes no sense. I didnt think I was being out of line, I don't come on this site often and I remember why. Ndsu crazies want to turned this into a pissing match that I foolishly entered. Good luck next year

Passive aggressive doesn't work. You know what you did or attempted to do--wait, you are a goof football fan<--recant that statement. And, goodbye!! U come on here and brag about your BB team (look how that turned out) and then come here to "just talk some football because of Woods". Whatever-->later, and the sooner the better. Please?!??

Elvis was a Bison
04-30-2013, 01:13 AM
^^^^^^^What he said^^^^^^^

MNLonghorn10
04-30-2013, 01:17 AM
Passive aggressive doesn't work. You know what you did or attempted to do--wait, you are a goof football fan<--recant that statement. And, goodbye!! U come on here and brag about your BB team (look how that turned out) and then come here to "just talk some football because of Woods". Whatever-->later, and the sooner the better. Please?!??

How did the BBall game go?

CAS4127
04-30-2013, 01:20 AM
How did the BBall game go?

I was talking about their season in general, and the aftermath<--I will spell out in more detail next time.

CAS4127
04-30-2013, 01:25 AM

Is there something false about that Facebook post?! U ever think potential recruits check out NDSU on Facebook. WTF, go cheer for goofs already!!

Elvis was a Bison
04-30-2013, 01:43 AM
Is there something false about that Facebook post?! U ever think potential recruits check out NDSU on Facebook. WTF, go cheer for goofs already!!

I think he's torn between the Goofs, the 'Horns, and the Mountain West. Hopefully, he will see the light and recognize the true meaning of Bisonville. If not, just hit the ignore button like Sam did to the Big Undie, and drive on!

MNLonghorn10
04-30-2013, 01:44 AM
I was talking about their season in general, and the aftermath<--I will spell out in more detail next time.

They won a game in the tournament, beat powerhouse NDSU, and got tubby fired. successful year

MNLonghorn10
04-30-2013, 01:45 AM

Go home CAS...you're drunk.

MNLonghorn10
04-30-2013, 01:46 AM
I think he's torn between the Goofs, the 'Horns, and the Mountain West. Hopefully, he will see the light and recognize the true meaning of Bisonville. If not, just hit the ignore button like Sam did to the Big Undie, and drive on!
Dude you totally nailed it.

Bisonwinagn
04-30-2013, 01:46 AM
I'm a Gopher season ticket holder and this rule is completely stupid. Now I get to watch Florida Atlantic, Florida international or some other bad program instead of watching a regional FCS game. If anyone thinks this will improve scheduling they are clueless. Also it will cost twice as much to play and FBS school as it does and FCS school. This all started because WI has been getting ripped for years about having a bad non conference schedule and Alvarez got scared last year when they almost lost to UNI.

The 9 game conf schedule also means the Big Ten teams will almost never play quality non conference opponents because they need home games. Sure am excited to see no name schools like Rutgers and Maryland instead of Texas, KState, etc. Oh well I guess this is just another step towards a new division.

HerdBot
04-30-2013, 01:50 AM

We open the season against Kansas State who finished the season ranked in the top 10. We have (had?) Iowa on the schedule too.

MAKBison
04-30-2013, 01:50 AM

I am not disagreeing. However, I believe its also about recruiting.

Different but same subject. Question---If SU is raked higher than an FBS team (say a MAC team) wouldn't it better for them to play us ?

CAS4127
04-30-2013, 01:54 AM
Go home CAS...you're drunk.

Assuming I am drunk, at least I can sober up!! Where does that leave you?! Maybe you and "Goldenshower" (ever thought about that username?!??!:() can hook an apartment together.

goldenshower
04-30-2013, 02:03 AM

wtf, neither school is scared lots of delusion and little man syndrome on here. Lets face it even though posters here belittle the gophers they are in the Big 10, was it fun watching NDSU beat them twice? Hell Yes, but you also have to be realistic and know just because we beat them 1 time in a season we wouldn't run the B1G table, so what the hell is the sense of arguing about it like 2 nd graders

To be fair I was being sarcastic. I don't think anyone is scared to play anyone. I think it's more of a strategy thing that can work for a while but eventually it becomes glen mason like and the fans turn

CAS4127
04-30-2013, 02:11 AM
To be fair I was being sarcastic. I don't think anyone is scared to play anyone. I think it's more of a strategy thing that can work for a while but eventually it becomes glen mason like and the fans turn

Radar on when someone starts a post (or sentence face-to-face) with "To be honest" or "Honestly" or "Trust me"--just sayin'!!

MNLonghorn10
04-30-2013, 02:11 AM
Assuming I am drunk, at least I can sober up!! Where does that leave you?! Maybe you and "Goldenshower" (ever thought about that username?!??!:() can hook an apartment together.

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/laker_fan_dudes.gif

td577
04-30-2013, 02:16 AM
This isn't something that is unexpected. The big ten is with the the other guys in wanting to create the super-conferences that will reap the super lottery payday for those schools. That being said, Minnesota is simply along for the ride. They have been completely irrelevant in the Big Ten for half a century. If the next step was based on merit, Minnesota would be left behind.

This is just one step in marginalizing FCS. The next step is marginalizing the mid major conferences and leaving them all behind, as well. If it was simply about the top 64 teams in the nation, the gophers would have no chance. So really gopher fans would be best not to point out NDSU beat a sorry gopher squad.

Now being a Bison fan, I took great joy in beating a Big Ten team. That shouldn't happen. Ever. If gopher fans are going to continue downplaying the significance, then it is the same as admitting you don't belong in the Big Ten. You can't have it both ways. You can't say it was because of a down year and then say you belong in the next conversation with the BCS super conferences.

Again, if it was based on merit alone, the gophers would be on the outside looking in. By default, they get to be part of the process. If and when the gophers become relevant in college football, then you can explain some failures (ie, losing to the Bison twice the past 5 years) due to the cyclic changes of college football. But as of now and the past 50 years, irrelevancy has been the norm. So which side of history are gopher fans going to choose? The factual one where the Bison beat an irrelevant program or the revised version where the Bison beat a Big Ten football program. Pick carefully.

When the dust all settles and the super conference guys get what they want, the gophers are getting the ride by default. While they are busy helping the big ten marginalize the fcs, someone still might come along and say the gophers have done nothing over 50 years to deserve a seat.

The larger issue is while some fans are saying distancing yourselves from the fcs makes for better football, the gophers will now be bottom dwellers with even less on the line. There won't be the toilet bowl for them. There certainly won't be playoffs. The gophers are going to be caught in bcs purgatory. The one thing some of the successful programs out there have figured out is you can't move up if the booster community isn't strong enough where you are at. Soon a six win season for the gophers will be the stand out season. Oh, I forgot that is considered a successful season by gopher standards.

So instead of this direction by the big ten, the effort should be to build fcs up. The gopher program, in itself, is in no position to set mandates excluding opponents.

The gopher fans will get their games with big time schools because there will always be the need for the easy game. What gopher fans are not getting is the program will be put in a place where everything is out of reach. But at least they have a nice stadium to watch it from.

CAS4127
04-30-2013, 02:18 AM
http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/laker_fan_dudes.gif

Nice comeback<--not. Mommy will likely be taking your 'puter away again soon I 'spose.

MNLonghorn10
04-30-2013, 02:28 AM
Nice comeback<--not. Mommy will likely be taking your 'puter away again soon I 'spose.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Qwoc40E9TSk/TvUtmuuVHpI/AAAAAAAABgA/BvPgKtBNq94/s320/hbkdealwithit.gif

MNLonghorn10
04-30-2013, 02:35 AM
This isn't something that is unexpected. The big ten is with the the other guys in wanting to create the super-conferences that will reap the super lottery payday for those schools. That being said, Minnesota is simply along for the ride. They have been completely irrelevant in the Big Ten for half a century. If the next step was based on merit, Minnesota would be left behind.

This is just one step in marginalizing FCS. The next step is marginalizing the mid major conferences and leaving them all behind, as well. If it was simply about the top 64 teams in the nation, the gophers would have no chance. So really gopher fans would be best not to point out NDSU beat a sorry gopher squad.

Now being a Bison fan, I took great joy in beating a Big Ten team. That shouldn't happen. Ever. If gopher fans are going to continue downplaying the significance, then it is the same as admitting you don't belong in the Big Ten. You can't have it both ways. You can't say it was because of a down year and then say you belong in the next conversation with the BCS super conferences.

Again, if it was based on merit alone, the gophers would be on the outside looking in. By default, they get to be part of the process. If and when the gophers become relevant in college football, then you can explain some failures (ie, losing to the Bison twice the past 5 years) due to the cyclic changes of college football. But as of now and the past 50 years, irrelevancy has been the norm. So which side of history are gopher fans going to choose? The factual one where the Bison beat an irrelevant program or the revised version where the Bison beat a Big Ten football program. Pick carefully.

When the dust all settles and the super conference guys get what they want, the gophers are getting the ride by default. While they are busy helping the big ten marginalize the fcs, someone still might come along and say the gophers have done nothing over 50 years to deserve a seat.

The larger issue is while some fans are saying distancing yourselves from the fcs makes for better football, the gophers will now be bottom dwellers with even less on the line. There won't be the toilet bowl for them. There certainly won't be playoffs. The gophers are going to be caught in bcs purgatory. The one thing some of the successful programs out there have figured out is you can't move up if the booster community isn't strong enough where you are at. Soon a six win season for the gophers will be the stand out season. Oh, I forgot that is considered a successful season by gopher standards.

So instead of this direction by the big ten, the effort should be to build fcs up. The gopher program, in itself, is in no position to set mandates excluding opponents.

The gopher fans will get their games with big time schools because there will always be the need for the easy game. What gopher fans are not getting is the program will be put in a place where everything is out of reach. But at least they have a nice stadium to watch it from.
that is a lot of words from a biased NDSU fan suggesting UM should just fold the football program.

If North Dakota wasn't a neighboring state to Minnesota, I wonder what kind of animosity homer NDSU fans would have towards that university? They certainly don't target on Duke football, Texas Tech, Washington State, or Syracuse ways they do with neighboring Minnesota.

Again, it's obviously a jealousy factor and homer NDSU fans can not grasp that. UM is in a bigger conference, earns much more off revenue-even if they're "just along for the ride by default"...but lets not forget the real thing that matters on why theyre in the B1G....its a major university.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
04-30-2013, 02:39 AM
This is bad news for us. It was great exposure, and great for the fans, in scheduling the Gophers. I was hoping we could schedule other Big 10 teams in the future like Wis., Neb., Purdue, Indiana, Iowa, and Ill. These all are in close proximity to us and would generate a ton of fan interest.

Now we'll have to try to schedule more MWC or Big 12 schools. Lets hope the Big 12 doesn't come up with similar rule.

KSBisonFan
04-30-2013, 02:40 AM
that is a lot of words from a biased NDSU fan suggesting UM should just fold the football program.

If North Dakota wasn't a neighboring state to Minnesota, I wonder what kind of animosity homer NDSU fans would have towards that university? They certainly don't target on Duke football, Texas Tech, Washington State, or Syracuse ways they do with neighboring Minnesota.

Again, it's obviously a jealousy factor and homer NDSU fans can not grasp that. UM is in a bigger conference, earns much more off revenue-even if they're "just along for the ride by default"...but lets not forget the real thing that matters on why theyre in the B1G....its a major university.

The following football programs suck:

Duke, Texas Tech, Washington State and Syracuse. U of M rocks.
Mack Brown blows.
Go home Bisonville, you're drunk.

CAS4127
04-30-2013, 02:41 AM

Well, we don't play the schools you reference--but we would if we could--and we don't have their fans here attempting to be condescending. And we don't buyout games that we are "afraid of", we that to our weak sisters to the east and west of us.

MNLonghorn10
04-30-2013, 02:43 AM
This is bad news for us. It was great exposure, and great for the fans, in scheduling the Gophers. I was hoping we could schedule other Big 10 teams in the future like Wis., Neb., Purdue, Indiana, Iowa, and Ill. These all are in close proximity to us and would generate a ton of fan interest.

Now we'll have to try to schedule more MWC or Big 12 schools. Lets hope the Big 12 doesn't come up with similar rule.
I dont think for a thatll happen for a while since the Big 12 has 10 teams in it. we'll have to wait until the super conferences are formed which IMO will be done in under 7 years

GOBISON123
04-30-2013, 02:43 AM

Putting lipstick on a pig, are you ?
Your state politicians have a wonderful history of cutting MNSCU budget when the weather gets bit cold or hot.
They shutdown the MNSCU system twice during state budget crisis and MNSCU financial crisis is still looming large.
MNSCU teachers are struggling to get money to buy paper for their printers. BIG.....

CAS4127
04-30-2013, 02:44 AM
I dont think for a thatll happen for a while since the Big 12 has 10 teams in it. we'll have to wait until the super conferences are formed which IMO will be done in under 7 years

So 6 years or less??

MNLonghorn10
04-30-2013, 02:44 AM
Well, we don't play the schools you reference--but we would if we could--and we don't have their fans here attempting to be condescending. And we don't buyout games that we are "afraid of", we that to our weak sisters to the east and west of us.

Im sorry, what school in Minnesota bought out NDSU?

MNLonghorn10
04-30-2013, 02:45 AM
Putting lipstick on a pig, are you ?
Sadly that is probably the most sense in a post you've ever made.

CAS4127
04-30-2013, 02:46 AM
Im sorry, what school in Minnesota bought out NDSU?

They bought out UNC or NC, whichever-->again, I will spell things out more fully when responding to you from now on-->go home, you are sober and still can't follow!!

MNLonghorn10
04-30-2013, 02:48 AM
They bought out UNC or NC, whichever-->again, I will spell things out more fully when responding to you from now on-->go home, you are sober and still can't follow!!

Oh so NDSU, UNC...same thing.

CAS4127
04-30-2013, 02:55 AM
Oh so NDSU, UNC...same thing.

Well, y did your goofs buy that game out?! U know why, so they can possibly get 6 wins and go to Winnie the Pooh bowl ... and lose of course.

Are u really this fucking stupid or are you actually drunk?!

EndZoneQB
04-30-2013, 02:57 AM
http://cdn.crushable.com/files/2012/05/Trolls.jpg

MNLonghorn10
04-30-2013, 03:00 AM
Go back and read that thread when they bought them out and look how I had no words why on earth UM would buy out a winnable game vs UNC for 800K.

I know you wont, probably because you don't know how. but what does UNC have to do with UM never buying out a game vs NDSU. Something YOU brought up in one of your intelligent posts.

CAS4127
04-30-2013, 03:06 AM
Go back and read that thread when they bought them out and look how I had no words why on earth UM would buy out a winnable game vs UNC for 800K.

I know you wont, probably because you don't know how. but what does UNC have to do with UM never buying out a game vs NDSU. Something YOU brought up in one of your intelligent posts.

What's that saying again?! Oh ya,
"Never argue with idiots because they will beat you with experience."

Elvis was a Bison
04-30-2013, 03:10 AM
Dialog in a nutshell: CAS = Drunk.... Maybe! MNLonghorn10 = Sober...??????? Lining up on the troll side of the ball = DMB FCK. (The only thing missing is U, "Horn)

MNLonghorn10
04-30-2013, 03:11 AM
Good talk bro. You entertained me tonight. I cant tell if youre serious or not, but you kept up well.

MNLonghorn10
04-30-2013, 03:13 AM
Dialog in a nutshell: CAS = Drunk.... Maybe! MNLonghorn10 = Sober...??????? Lining up on the troll side of the ball = DMB FCK. (The only thing missing is U, "Horn)
Elvis and Cas must be laying in the same bed..giggling. WTF did you just say?

GOBISON123
04-30-2013, 03:21 AM
Sadly that is probably the most sense in a post you've ever made.

Gophers lost twice to Bison thats how the story ends. Rest dosent matter.

td577
04-30-2013, 03:24 AM

Again, it's obviously a jealousy factor and homer NDSU fans can not grasp that. UM is in a bigger conference, earns much more off revenue-even if they're "just along for the ride by default"...but lets not forget the only reason why theyre in the B1G....its a major university.

I fixed it for you. I am certainly not jealous, just saying when the super conferences get done marginalizing the FCS and mid majors, who is next? The goofers will be in bcs purgatory. No bowl games. The epitome of your .500 season won't even matter. That will be the level of success for the gophers, ever.

Ndsu at worst will be in the FCS. At best they will be in the new fbs, with playoffs. They will always be realistically looking at significant games after the regular season.

I am not jealous, I actually feel sorry for goofer fans. You will be left with nothing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Elvis was a Bison
04-30-2013, 03:32 AM
Just sharing perspectives from spring game weekend. Had a discussion with some other posters on BV on various topics, including FBS. Your name surfaced and the response was less than positive. In fact, DMB FCK surfaced at that time.......... I know "The man with 3 rings" and I find him interesting. I don't know if I've ever met you, (if I did, you did not make a meaningful impression), but I see our views on most subjects are polar opposite. You see, I'm all Green and Gold, and you serve too many masters, like gold-pisser. Does that help you understand what I'm saying? In summation, let's just agree to disagree.

MNLonghorn10
04-30-2013, 03:33 AM
I fixed it for you. I am certainly not jealous, just saying when the super conferences get done marginalizing the FCS and mid majors, who is next? The goofers will be in bcs purgatory. No bowl games. The epitome of your .500 season won't even matter. That will be the level of success for the gophers, ever.

Ndsu at worst will be in the FCS. At best they will be in the new fbs, with playoffs. They will always be realistically looking at significant games after the regular season.

I am not jealous, I actually feel sorry for goofer fans. You will be left with nothing.

why do you keep saying you gopher fans to me? This is like my 7th year being an NDSU ticket holder.

and yes, its quite obvious when the bigger conferences move on from the FCS games, you are going to be jealous. you hold a grudge against the Gophers because you beat them one year and you think you deserve part of the pie that they'll eventually be getting. Some of you really need to move on with your lives and realize its not 2011 anymore and bringing up wins vs the Gophers from 2 years ago is pretty pointless.

CaBisonFan

I used to be a Gophers fan. Over the decades I couldn't even begin to count the number of games that they've given away after having a lead...including games against the Big 2 or 3. After the Bison played them, I stopped being a fan because of the way Gopher fans acted.

NorthernBison
I am not disagreeing. However, I believe its also about recruiting.

Different but same subject. Question---If SU is raked higher than an FBS team (say a MAC team) wouldn't it better for them to play us ?

Nope. No matter what is said in public, FBS doesn't respect FCS. It doesn't make a damn bit of difference what Sagarin says.

I'm not saying that the major conferences respect the MAC either. They just disrespect them less than FCS.

EndZoneQB
04-30-2013, 03:41 AM
Just sharing perspectives from spring game weekend. Had a discussion with some other posters on BV on various topics, including FBS. Your name surfaced and the response was less than positive. In fact, DMB FCK surfaced at that time.......... I know "The man with 3 rings" and I find him interesting. I don't know if I've ever met you, (if I did, you did not make a meaningful impression), but I see our views on most subjects are polar opposite. You see, I'm all Green and Gold, and you serve too many masters, like gold-pisser. Does that help you understand what I'm saying? In summation, let's just agree to disagree.

http://memeorama.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/wait-what-meme-rage-face.jpg

MNLonghorn10
04-30-2013, 03:42 AM
If you dont know anyone affiliated with the FC...chances are you've never met me. I know people on BV who i'd consider real life friends and it's just a internet board. I know who CAS is and chances are good I've passed the boot to him on our bus.

And meh at the dumb fuck response. Its easy to call someone a dumb fuck when either A) you have no idea what youre talking about and B) thats the safe response amongst the same group thinkers to make a topic thats been debated 1000 times a conversation point. but like wise, theres some on here who Im surprised know how to turn on a computer.

Elvis was a Bison
04-30-2013, 03:54 AM
Good post. Helps me understand who you are...... Two words: Sam Humann's posse

MNLonghorn10
04-30-2013, 03:59 AM

and if you're not down with that...we've got TWO WORDS FOR YA...............

frisco. cruiser. bus.

http://i41.tinypic.com/2ljiyyp.gif

EndZoneQB
04-30-2013, 04:06 AM

http://danceswithfat.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/jump-to-conclusions-mat.jpg

Elvis was a Bison
04-30-2013, 04:07 AM
"We've?" What, did you crap your pants when you posted that picture of your man crush?

Elvis was a Bison
04-30-2013, 04:11 AM
Good use of graphics, but you are starting to be predictable. In fact, you bore me. I find it hard to engage in a battle of wits with with an un-armed man. Later..

MNLonghorn10
04-30-2013, 04:14 AM
Good night elvis. Maybe youll dream of us like you did at the spring game.

EndZoneQB
04-30-2013, 04:18 AM
Good use of graphics, but you are starting to be predictable. In fact, you bore me. I find it hard to engage in a battle of wits with with an un-armed man. Later..

http://images.mnn.com/sites/default/files/user/134790/meme.jpg

BisonFan02
04-30-2013, 04:51 AM
WTF did I just read......honest question, would the B1G be considered a basketball or football first conference?

SamsRams
04-30-2013, 06:51 AM
WTF did I just read......honest question, would the B1G be considered a basketball or football first conference?

#butthockey

ndsubison1
04-30-2013, 07:01 AM
sucks for fcs teams. would be awesome to play teams like ohio state, wisconsin, nebraska in the future. even illinois or northwestern who are in our recruiting territory. but for them it makes sense. with the 4 team playoff in all a lot of teams will start to schedule tougher and fcs teams dont help with that

td577
04-30-2013, 09:30 AM
why do you keep saying you gopher fans to me? This is like my 7th year being an NDSU ticket holder.

and yes, its quite obvious when the bigger conferences move on from the FCS games, you are going to be jealous. you hold a grudge against the Gophers because you beat them one year and you think you deserve part of the pie that they'll eventually be getting. Some of you really need to move on with your lives and realize its not 2011 anymore and bringing up wins vs the Gophers from 2 years ago is pretty pointless.

What are you talking about? Your post has nothing to do with what I said except for the part where I said you goofer fans because if one didn't know better, you sure come off as one.

SamsRams
04-30-2013, 10:34 AM
just so its official, I hate everyone on this board also.

and I continue in my stances
WCU will not come in 2016
NDSU will play at Iowa in 2016

If you disagree with either of those facts you are an idiot and tied for dumbest person ever

unbison
04-30-2013, 11:11 AM
just so its official, I hate everyone on this board also.

and I continue in my stances
WCU will not come in 2016
NDSU will play at Iowa in 2016

If you disagree with either of those facts you are an idiot and tied for dumbest person ever
Wow you really cease to amaze with your total lack of respect for others mr ram....remember your opinions are just that
Opinions maybe one day you will understand that and quit the whole I'm holier then though routine....you come off as a
Petty self loathing punk

Honeybooboo
04-30-2013, 11:31 AM
Wow you really cease to amaze with your total lack of respect for others mr ram....remember your opinions are just that
Opinions maybe one day you will understand that and quit the whole I'm holier then though routine....you come off as a
Petty self loathing punk

you hit the nail on the head man

Bisonwinagn
04-30-2013, 12:59 PM
sucks for fcs teams. would be awesome to play teams like ohio state, wisconsin, nebraska in the future. even illinois or northwestern who are in our recruiting territory. but for them it makes sense. with the 4 team playoff in all a lot of teams will start to schedule tougher and fcs teams dont help with that

False...It's nearly impossible to win all the Big ten games and if they do they would be a lock to the final four. Teams will not jeopardize that chance by scheduling games they could lose in the non conference. Plus they all want home games. The scheduling tougher teams is completely blown out of proportion and only applies to the mid majors.

THEsocalledfan
04-30-2013, 01:08 PM
http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2012/06/18/timestopics/Rodney-King/Rodney-King-sfSpan.jpg

Can't we all just get along?

NorthernBison
04-30-2013, 01:23 PM
False...It's nearly impossible to win all the Big ten games and if they do they would be a lock to the final four. Teams will not jeopardize that chance by scheduling games they could lose in the non conference. Plus they all want home games. The scheduling tougher teams is completely blown out of proportion and only applies to the mid majors.

I disagree. Pay attention to what the B1G is telling their teams to do in regard to scheduling.

9 conference games.
1 Major BCS game.
2 Other FBS games.

This isn't simply a suggestion and it DOES toughen up the SOS for the entire conference. Bottom line is that what Minnesota, Illinois, Iowa, etc do in terms of scheduling DOES affect the image of the top dogs of the conference. In reality, that's what this is all about. The B1G doesn't want to take a chance on their Champion getting dogged by a perception of weak scheduling.

silkamilkamonico
04-30-2013, 02:03 PM
LMAO at the Big 10.

If the SEC is good enough to play FCS teams, so is the Big 10.

silkamilkamonico
04-30-2013, 02:05 PM
I disagree. Pay attention to what the B1G is telling their teams to do in regard to scheduling.

9 conference games.
1 Major BCS game.
2 Other FBS games.

This isn't simply a suggestion and it DOES toughen up the SOS for the entire conference. Bottom line is that what Minnesota, Illinois, Iowa, etc do in terms of scheduling DOES affect the image of the top dogs of the conference. In reality, that's what this is all about. The B1G doesn't want to take a chance on their Champion getting dogged by a perception of weak scheduling.

In retrospect it is a smart move by the Big 10. They know they can't compete on any even playing field with the SEC, hell at this point they can't even compete with other Major conferences, so they are trying to toughen up this perception of tough scheduling. Props to them if a team can come out of those schedules and be in the running for a NC, but at this point they just aren't good enough IMO.

Bison bison
04-30-2013, 02:08 PM
totally agree with this.

looking at the wisconsin ooc home schedule - vs umass and vs tennessee tech.

blech.

you don't need an organization to help you make decisions like this.

Mayville Bison
04-30-2013, 02:35 PM

I swear we have a game scheduled next year against a team that almost played for the BCS National Championship. Did they coward out too?

344Johnson
04-30-2013, 03:05 PM
This thread is hall of fame worthy.

goldenshower
04-30-2013, 03:14 PM
I swear we have a game scheduled next year against a team that almost played for the BCS National Championship. Did they coward out too?

I was being sarcastic. This argument is stupid, fans don't have a say in scheduling. No one fears anyone. Alabama would beat the hell out of either Minnesota or ndsu and I really doubt ndsu or Minnesota players are scared. Move on, some people attacked me as if I came here pounding my chest about a dominant gopher team. I never did that, I think I even said we suck an have been bad for 50 yrs. doesn't mean the gophers have been the worst bcs team in history, they are far from that. I originally saw this thread, corrected gabe's dumb ass comment and have been attacked since. Whatever I don't care if ndsu fans dislike my favorite team, doesn't matter. All I know is the big ten athletic directors didnt bring up ndsu's name one time when deciding they no longer wanted to play fcs schools. It's about national perception and money. It will look better to beat teams like north Texas and fiu compared to New Hampshire and ndsu. This pissing match is ridiculous

MNLonghorn10
04-30-2013, 03:19 PM

Annnd they got crsushed by baylor.

westnodak93bison
04-30-2013, 03:21 PM
The "Big 10" has had it's fill of losses and close calls with FCS. They are running scared. Sick of being embarrassed. Anybody who thinks otherwise is in denial. Ole Barry Alvarez saw a close call first hand last fall and has seen enough.

MNLonghorn10
04-30-2013, 03:25 PM
In retrospect it is a smart move by the Big 10. They know they can't compete on any even playing field with the SEC, hell at this point they can't even compete with other Major conferences, so they are trying to toughen up this perception of tough scheduling. Props to them if a team can come out of those schedules and be in the running for a NC, but at this point they just aren't good enough IMO.

Nobody can compete with the secsecsec and their sanctions.

Dude 90% of the fcs sucks. Ndsu is on a different attraction level than most of them. Where 99% of the fcs would hurt a sos..ndsu would probably help.

You need to take off the green and gold glasses...hell even ndsu fans dont get excited to play certain fcs teams..why would b1g fans??

goldenshower
04-30-2013, 03:31 PM
The "Big 10" has had it's fill of losses and close calls with FCS. They are running scared. Sick of being embarrassed. Anybody who thinks otherwise is in denial. Ole Barry Alvarez saw a close call first hand last fall and has seen enough.

So dumb! Look up the overall big ten record vs fcs and tell me the big ten is scared of the fcs....you won't do it because it destroy any attitude you have regarding it because you're only looking at it from a selfish stand point

344Johnson
04-30-2013, 03:34 PM

They are trying to help themselves. The B1G probably doesn't really care about the losses. Most of the B1G teams probably have lost at most 1 or 2 of their FCS games. They are trying to help strength of schedule. It is a good move for them. Anyone who thinks they are "sick of being embarassed" is in denial.

Dude 90% of the fcs sucks. Ndsu is on a different attraction level than most of them. Where 99% of the fcs would hurt a sos..ndsu would probably help.

You need to take off the green and gold glasses...hell even ndsu fans dont get excited to play certain fcs teams..why would b1g fans??

I'm on Longhorn's team right now...

westnodak93bison
04-30-2013, 03:35 PM
So dumb! Look up the overall big ten record vs fcs and tell me the big ten is scared of the fcs....you won't do it because it destroy any attitude you have regarding it because you're only looking at it from a selfish stand point

Great but they obviously don't want to take any more chances.

EndZoneQB
04-30-2013, 03:38 PM

:facepalm:

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/22714642.jpg

goldenshower
04-30-2013, 03:40 PM

They are trying to make sure Ohio st, Michigan, penn st, and Nebraska all have the SOS to win a national title. That's all it is. It has nothing to do with the gophers, Hoosiers, Illinois, Purdue, Iowa, northwestern. They are trying to get a national title back to the big ten and I'm convinced it will happen soon at Ohio st.

Mayville Bison
04-30-2013, 03:44 PM
I was being sarcastic. This argument is stupid, fans don't have a say in scheduling. No one fears anyone. Alabama would beat the hell out of either Minnesota or ndsu and I really doubt ndsu or Minnesota players are scared. Move on, some people attacked me as if I came here pounding my chest about a dominant gopher team. I never did that, I think I even said we suck an have been bad for 50 yrs. doesn't mean the gophers have been the worst bcs team in history, they are far from that. I originally saw this thread, corrected gabe's dumb ass comment and have been attacked since. Whatever I don't care if ndsu fans dislike my favorite team, doesn't matter. All I know is the big ten athletic directors didnt bring up ndsu's name one time when deciding they no longer wanted to play fcs schools. It's about national perception and money. It will look better to beat teams like north Texas and fiu compared to New Hampshire and ndsu. This pissing match is ridiculous

The problem with your thinking is that the B1G is actually scared. They are scared that if some "lowly" teams beat their teams, whether they are the doormats like the Gophers (total bait here) or the favorites like Michigan was when they lost to the 2 time defending FCS champs, they will not be viewed in the same light as the other BCS conferences. When the split happens (and you know it will happen eventually), B1G wants to be in that split where all the money is (and there is no reason to think they shouldn't). If they continue to play FCS schools and lose a few, it does drag down the conference. When App State beat Michigan, it told the whole country that if one of the best in the conference couldn't beat an FCS team, then the entire conference is a step lower than we thought they were and it opens up the debate for other non-BCS conferences to be included as well.

I agree with you that this decision had nothing to do with NDSU specifically and that it's all about perception and money. I would disagree that beating NT and FIU "look better" than New Hamp and NDSU. If you asked a general college football fan which of those 4 are in a higher division, a majority would either simply guess because they don't know or say they are all on the same level.

goldenshower
04-30-2013, 03:51 PM
The problem with your thinking is that the B1G is actually scared. They are scared that if some "lowly" teams beat their teams, whether they are the doormats like the Gophers (total bait here) or the favorites like Michigan was when they lost to the 2 time defending FCS champs, they will not be viewed in the same light as the other BCS conferences. When the split happens (and you know it will happen eventually), B1G wants to be in that split where all the money is (and there is no reason to think they shouldn't). If they continue to play FCS schools and lose a few, it does drag down the conference. When App State beat Michigan, it told the whole country that if one of the best in the conference couldn't beat an FCS team, then the entire conference is a step lower than we thought they were and it opens up the debate for other non-BCS conferences to be included as well.

I agree with you that this decision had nothing to do with NDSU specifically and that it's all about perception and money. I would disagree that beating NT and FIU "look better" than New Hamp and NDSU. If you asked a general college football fan which of those 4 are in a higher division, a majority would either simply guess because they don't know or say they are all on the same level.

Problem with your thinking is that the perception is strictly if these teams lose. if the bottom half teams win it doesnt help just like if they were to lose. Either way its a lose lose scenario for the conference perception. That is why they want to get away from it

EndZoneQB
04-30-2013, 03:54 PM
Seriously, some of you guys need to take off the green glasses here for awhile, holy sh*t. Little brother syndrome if I've ever seen it.

Mayville Bison
04-30-2013, 04:05 PM
Problem with your thinking is that the perception is strictly if these teams lose. if the bottom half teams win it doesnt help just like if they were to lose. Either way its a lose lose scenario for the conference perception. That is why they want to get away from it

So Minnesota beating New Hampshire didn't help the program get to a Bowl Game? Purdue beating Eastern Kentucky? 9 teams making a bowl game sounds a lot better than 7 even if the bowl games are stupid and both teams lost

Bison Dan
04-30-2013, 04:06 PM
They are trying to make sure Ohio st, Michigan, penn st, and Nebraska all have the SOS to win a national title. That's all it is. It has nothing to do with the gophers, Hoosiers, Illinois, Purdue, Iowa, northwestern. They are trying to get a national title back to the big ten and I'm convinced it will happen soon at Ohio st.So your saying that their AD's won't schedule stronger teams for SOS and they have to forced?

goldenshower
04-30-2013, 04:13 PM
So Minnesota beating New Hampshire didn't help the program get to a Bowl Game? Purdue beating Eastern Kentucky? 9 teams making a bowl game sounds a lot better than 7 even if the bowl games are stupid and both teams lost

Nope not saying that, I'm saying Minnesota throttling a shit fcs team like unh didn't make wisky look better by kicking our ass. Now if Minnesota knocks off USC non conf and USC turns out to have a good season that makes the conference look better. If Jerry kill plays unc and doesn't bitch out and we win or lose a close one, that looks a million times better than blowing apart New Hampshire, etc. not really complicated, pretty basic!

I would love it if the NCAA voted to not count fcs wins towards bowl eligibility. I don't like the fact the gophers needed that win to make a bowl.

MNLonghorn10
04-30-2013, 04:17 PM
Seriously, some of you guys need to take off the green glasses here for awhile, holy sh*t. Little brother syndrome if I've ever seen it.

This is why ndsu needs to be plotting a move up.

silkamilkamonico
04-30-2013, 04:29 PM

Actually, I would say 95% of the FCS sucks. Unfortunately for your argument, so does the Big 10. There's maybe 1 legitimate team in the Big 10 right now, and they are coming off sanctions. A good portion of the rest is terrible.

goldenshower
04-30-2013, 04:32 PM
Actually, I would say 95% of the FCS sucks. Unfortunately for your argument, so does the Big 10. There's maybe 1 legitimate team in the Big 10 right now, and they are coming off sanctions. A good portion of the rest is terrible.

Ohio st is elite

Michigan, Nebraska, mich st, wisky, and northwestern are solid

Minnesota, Iowa, penn st, and Indiana will be very average this year

Illinois and Purdue will be bad again

silkamilkamonico
04-30-2013, 04:36 PM
Ohio st is elite

Michigan, Nebraska, mich st, wisky, and northwestern are solid

Minnesota, Iowa, penn st, and Indiana will be very average this year

Illinois and Purdue will be bad again

Big 10 strives to be nationally recognized. They have been established as a premier conference in D1. From a National Standpoint, OSU is up there, and that's it. The Solid argument coming from teams like Nebraska, MIchigan, MSU, Wisconsin, Northwestern are nothing more than a teetering top 25 team.

MAKBison
04-30-2013, 04:36 PM
I guess it is all about perception and not real competition.

2 other FBS teams----In my mind this does nothing for SOS if those two FBS teams are cupcakes. Again, why not base SOS from the teams national ranking. Concerning the non conference games, This wold force teams to play top programs. Concerning FCS, those programs that are able to achieve high enough rankings would then be sought after games. Not only that, but it would certainly encourage competition---to get an invite you must play the top teams...play like shit be relegated to playing shitty non conference teams.

I thought the NCAA was all about integrating FCS and FBS, which is why the allowed the FCS games to count towards bowl eligibility???

9 conference games.
1 Major BCS game.
2 Other FBS games.

goldenshower
04-30-2013, 04:37 PM
Big 10 strives to be nationally recognized. They have been established as a premier conference in D1. From a National Standpoint, OSU is up there, and that's it. The Solid argument coming from teams like Nebraska, MIchigan, MSU, Wisconsin, Northwestern are nothing more than a teetering top 25 team.

Probably debatable but its hard to disagree with

Bison"FANatic"
04-30-2013, 04:44 PM
[QUOTE=goldenshower;733565
I would love it if the NCAA voted to not count fcs wins towards bowl eligibility. I don't like the fact the gophers needed that win to make a bowl.[/QUOTE]

If this would happen how much do you think the amount you would need to pay the Macs and CUSA teams of the world to come in. Would this not dramatically drive the costs way up as the lower teams would then have the negotiating power. Thats the way it is in FCS now. If the NCAA would allow one DII win to account toward playoff eligibility it would over night drive the costs way down to bring someone into Fargo.

silkamilkamonico
04-30-2013, 04:45 PM
Probably debatable but its hard to disagree with

I certainly don't blame the Big 10 for looking into this. They know their stance in college football as a premier conference, they aren't happy with where they are sitting currently and they are trying to do something about it.

If teams in that conference get through the tough scheduling they are creating, they certainly should be talked about on a National Level and in competition for the National Championship.

NorthernBison
04-30-2013, 04:48 PM

It's not about getting Minnesota to a Bowl Game.

Minnesota beating a MAC team is way better than them beating UNH and the ultimate recipient is Ohio State or Michigan when they stomp on Minnesota. Even if Minnesota loses to a MAC team, that is better than them scheduling UNH (even if they win). Think of FCS in general. We win 2 or 3 games every year out of about 75 that are scheduled. In the eyes of the FBS, it is easy to generalize that FCS teams are cupcakes and the record bears that out.

The new scheduling paradigm is all about getting their top dog a better shot at one of the four semi-final spots.

NDSUstudent
04-30-2013, 04:53 PM

The Big 10 is 54-6 vs the FCS since 2006....they are hardly running scared. The power schools are flexing their muscles and are tired of the weaker schools scheduling like a bunch of gutless cowards....makes the conference look weak and hurts their SOS.

goldenshower
04-30-2013, 04:57 PM
If this would happen how much do you think the amount you would need to pay the Macs and CUSA teams of the world to come in. Would this not dramatically drive the costs way up as the lower teams would then have the negotiating power. Thats the way it is in FCS now. If the NCAA would allow one DII win to account toward playoff eligibility it would over night drive the costs way down to bring someone into Fargo.

Great question! I wish I had the answer, but I have to believe that if we are getting 1 bcs opponent non conf and 2 mid majors the revenue will be higher because there will be more interest. Big ten is wealthy as a conference, it's hard for me to believe that the conference is concerned about paying non conf schedules.

westnodak93bison
04-30-2013, 05:00 PM
The Big 10 is 54-6 vs the FCS since 2006....they are hardly running scared. The power schools are flexing their muscles and are tired of the weaker schools scheduling like a bunch of gutless cowards....makes the conference look weak and hurts their SOS.

The good Big 10 schools are concerned that the crappy Big 10 teams keep embarrassing their brand and there is no way you will convince me that Jerry Kill wants to play NDSU, UNI etc ever again.

NDSUstudent
04-30-2013, 05:07 PM
The good Big 10 schools are concerned that the crappy Big 10 teams keep embarrassing their brand and there is no way you will convince me that Jerry Kill wants to play NDSU, UNI etc ever again.

Jerry is a coward, scared to play UNC.

If he was my coach I'd want him gone. I"m sure some people don't like that opinion but how do you expect your program to rise up if won't even play mediocre schools from the ACC?

That is like Bohl saying he fears playing William and Mary.

goldenshower
04-30-2013, 05:10 PM

Yep Jerry kill is 0-1 vs ndsu and we never played UNi. I'm guessing he decided he would rather play anyone over ndsu.

goldenshower
04-30-2013, 05:11 PM
Jerry is a coward, scared to play UNC.

If he was my coach I'd want him gone. I"m sure some people don't like that opinion but how do you expect your program to rise up if won't even play mediocre schools from the ACC?

That is like Bohl saying he fears playing William and Mary.

It's probably more like the fear ndsu has of playing und.

goldenshower
04-30-2013, 05:13 PM
I was kidding btw

NDSUstudent
04-30-2013, 05:14 PM
It's probably more like the fear ndsu has of playing und.

I don't think NDSU has ever cut UND an $800k check to not play them but try again.

Jerry wants to be Mase 2.0. As much as I hated Brew at least he wanted to make the program relevant on a national level, he just had no idea how to coach a team up to that level.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
04-30-2013, 06:01 PM
HOLY CARP!!!!!!!!

You guys are still at it? I came home for lunch and couldn't believe that this thread is still going.

Couple observations:

1. The Big isn't scared of FCS, in general, and NDSU in particular. They want to strengthen their SOS. Good for them. Bad for us. FCS teams get way more out of these games than do FBS teams.

2. If the other major conferences adopt the same rules, we will seriously need to start making plans to move up. I know all about the financial pitfalls that come with a school of our size moving up to FBS. But, lets face it, these games generate a ton of fan interest. In fact, many fans follow us based largely on our ability to schedule FBS games. If we lose this ability, we will lose some (not all) fan interest. I know I am way more interested in playing the likes of Wyoming or Colorado State than Wagner or St. Francis.

3. Most NDSU fans do indeed suffer from little brother syndrome. This is a natural response from getting no respect from our FBS opponents. As long as we are FCS, we will always suffer from little brother syndrome because we will never get respect from any FBS program, no matter how lowly the program is (see CSU). This is/was especially true pertaining to the Gophers. What do you expect when you constantly hear the same old farmer, hick, backwards, little leauge, crap that was consistently spewed from Gopher fans before we played them in '06. Makes it all the more sweeter when we took it to them the last two times. I think we have now earned their respect, or at least have gotten their attention, since the retoric was significantly toned down the last two times we played them.

Nothing wrong with little brother syndrome, especially as it pertains to the players. It's a good thing for the players to have a chip on their shoulder going into the game. Its good for the fans as well. Nothing better than leaving an FBS opponents stadium and observing the shell shocked look on the face of their fans after another Bison victory. Nothing sweeter than that.

ndsubison1
04-30-2013, 06:57 PM

how so? but i completely disagree. if a big ten, acc, pac 12, big 12 team wants to be considered over each other and the SEC they are going to HAVE to schedule tougher. this appears to be part of the case with why they dont want to schedule FCS teams anymore. coaches and experts have referred to this

SamsRams
04-30-2013, 10:34 PM
how so? but i completely disagree. if a big ten, acc, pac 12, big 12 team wants to be considered over each other and the SEC they are going to HAVE to schedule tougher. this appears to be part of the case with why they dont want to schedule FCS teams anymore. coaches and experts have referred to this

They only have to schedule tougher if they feel they have a shot at the "playoff" Maybe they should have made the model to read no scheduling teams who didnt make a bowl game or the FCS playoffs. I find it hard to believe that playing FIU or UNLV or any other bottom half of non bcs conferences improves their SOS vs playing a top level FCS team

This is strictly a play by the B1G network who somehow thinks more people will tune in to see Wyoming vs Nebraska instead of SDSU vs Nebraska

but regardless non of this matters for NDSU. Teams that arent scared will continue to play them and teams that are scared will continue to not schedule them. This model changes nothing. No B1G team will ever get forced to schedule an FBS over an FCS, nor will they force them to buy out of games already on the schedule. This is strictly a suggestion by the league, it is not a rule and it is not a mandate

56BISON73
04-30-2013, 10:42 PM

ding ding winner

SamsRams
04-30-2013, 10:49 PM
ding ding winner

gene specifically said that he believes one of the reasons they are doing this is FCS is getting too competitive with the B1G. If that doesnt define scared then I dont know what does

MNLonghorn10
04-30-2013, 10:53 PM
forgot. Genes word is holier than anyone elses.

SamsRams
04-30-2013, 10:59 PM
forgot. Genes word is holier than anyone elses.

I didnt forget your word is worthless. so we all good

NorthernBison
04-30-2013, 11:03 PM
Gene THINKS our 2016 game at Iowa is still on although there is an escape clause in the contract that could get them out for free. He doesn't think they will use it.

He clearly said yesterday that no other games are contemplated and the B1G is going to follow the model as it stands now. The vote of the Presidents was unanimous.

SamsRams
04-30-2013, 11:07 PM
there is an escape clause in the contract that could get them out for free. He doesn't think they will use it.

where is this info coming from??

MNLonghorn10
04-30-2013, 11:11 PM
I didnt forget your word is worthless. so we all good
LOL @ your rep.

SamsRams
04-30-2013, 11:15 PM
LOL @ your rep.

Ditto, check ez's neg rep!!!!!!!!

SamsRams
04-30-2013, 11:19 PM
there is an escape clause in the contract that could get them out for free. He doesn't think they will use it.

I am starting to believe you misread something or made this up. I find it very hard to believe there is a free out. Izzo made his usual obnoxious tweet telling @bisonation https://twitter.com/DomIzzoWDAY/status/328629747422752769 Iowa has clause to get out of game regardless of Big 10 mandate; per #NDSU AD
HAHA really genius. So you are telling me an OOC game has clause to get out of the game? how about name an OOC game where there isnt a clause to get out of the game (neutral site and OOC conference games excluded)

Bisonwinagn
04-30-2013, 11:36 PM

My point is a team going undefeated in conference play will be guaranteed a spot in the final four regardless of their non conference schedule. Why take a chance at losing to Alabama and potentially being knocked out of a potential playoff spot. This is similar to the FCS when losing to Montana is worse than beating a bad team.

NorthernBison
04-30-2013, 11:41 PM
I am starting to believe you misread something or made this up. I find it very hard to believe there is a free out. Izzo made his usual obnoxious tweet telling @bisonation https://twitter.com/DomIzzoWDAY/status/328629747422752769 Iowa has clause to get out of game regardless of Big 10 mandate; per #NDSU AD
HAHA really genius. So you are telling me an OOC game has clause to get out of the game? how about name an OOC game where there isnt a clause to get out of the game (neutral site and OOC conference games excluded)

I heard what Gene said on McFeely's show yesterday. Listen for yourself. I'm sure you can find the podcast.

SamsRams
04-30-2013, 11:58 PM
I heard what Gene said on McFeely's show yesterday. Listen for yourself. I'm sure you can find the podcast.

Found it an thanks for heads up http://www.kfgo.com/on-air-details.php?ID=2688

6:50 mark

he says "there is some language in there about, if the conference were to add a conference game and it would make it severely impossible or virtually impossible to reschedule this (NDSU game) they could get out of the game. The fact that we are playing September 3rd, which is the very first game of the year, I dont think them adding a non conference game like they did, would impact our ability to play that game"

So the wording is loose and not very specific. if the game was 3 weeks later they might have a case. So from what I understand the only way for Iowa to get out is to buy it out or the B1G has to schedule all their 9th conference games the first week of the season and that aint gonna happen.

NorthernBison
05-01-2013, 12:04 AM
Yeah. Gene brought it up and downplayed it. The fact that Gary Barta is the other AD makes me confident in Gene's assessment.

SamsRams
05-01-2013, 12:13 AM
Yeah. Gene brought it up and downplayed it. The fact that Gary Barta is the other AD makes me confident in Gene's assessment.

totally agree, plus the fact this is just a suggestion to teams.

its like buying a franchise for Subway. They will give you a list of things you have to do to keep the franchise, then they will give you a model of how other successful Subways operate. You are more than welcome to deviate from the model if you think it is best for your franchise

NorthernBison
05-01-2013, 12:13 AM
My point is a team going undefeated in conference play will be guaranteed a spot in the final four regardless of their non conference schedule. Why take a chance at losing to Alabama and potentially being knocked out of a potential playoff spot. This is similar to the FCS when losing to Montana is worse than beating a bad team.

Big assumption there. There will be only four spots and no automatic qualifiers. At least five conferences will be wanting a team picked and maybe two.

That will pit conference against conference and the B1G intends to pump up their SOS. You only do that by having the ENTIRE conference ramp up the schedule.

SamsRams
05-01-2013, 12:16 AM
That will pit conference against conference and the B1G intends to pump up their SOS. You only do that by having the ENTIRE conference ramp up the schedule.

We still dont know the guidelines that will be used for SOS, but your point is very valid

NorthernBison
05-01-2013, 12:17 AM
totally agree, plus the fact this is just a suggestion to teams.

its like buying a franchise for Subway. They will give you a list of things you have to do to keep the franchise, then they will give you a model of how other successful Subways operate. You are more than welcome to deviate from the model if you think it is best for your franchise

Gene didn't make it sound like a suggestion. He threw out the possibility that Barta would tell the conference they would honor the 2016 deal and then follow the new rules.

SamsRams
05-01-2013, 12:24 AM
Gene didn't make it sound like a suggestion. He threw out the possibility that Barta would tell the conference they would honor the 2016 deal and then follow the new rules.

Time will tell. everyting I have read calls this a model for scheduling, to me that indicates a suggestion to teams to improve the overall SOS of the league. There is no wording in it that specifically eliminates B1G schools from playing FCS schools in the future. I feel this new model eliminates future games against top level B1G schools, I believe the bottom dwellars will continue to play FCS