PDA

View Full Version : PantherU: Sources Confirm Oakland to Horizon League

NDSUstudent
04-28-2013, 05:58 PM
Obviously a huge blow to the Summit League....

Multiple anonymous sources are confirming to PantherU that Oakland is indeed coming to the Horizon League, confirming what was reported in the Green Bay Press Gazette by Rob Demovsky on April 4th. The Horizon League will likely announce Oakland in the next couple weeks.

Oakland University, located just twenty miles away from the University of Detroit Mercy, brings the membership back to nine programs. No word on whether or not a tenth member was forthcoming, although none of PantherU's sources had any idea.

http://www.brewcityball.com/forums/content.php?601-Horizon-League-adding-Oakland

HerdBot
04-28-2013, 07:03 PM

http://www.brewcityball.com/forums/content.php?601-Horizon-League-adding-Oakland

But their AD denied it! :rofl: :rofl: cant be true! [Purple font]

SamsRams
04-28-2013, 08:16 PM

this is the same "source" that said UIC was going to the mvc

NDSUstudent
04-28-2013, 08:47 PM
this is the same "source" that said UIC was going to the mvc

Supposedly three of his sources are Summit League coaches....

Three of my sources are Summit League coaches. Anonymous, but confirmed Summit League coaches. I Won't say which sport.

https://twitter.com/PantherU/status/328580232628035584

He has been wrong before...but I did see Hallstrom tweet something about Oakland leaving the Summit a few days ago so he might be right this time.

SamsRams
04-28-2013, 08:55 PM
Supposedly three of his sources are Summit League coaches....

https://twitter.com/PantherU/status/328580232628035584

He has been wrong before...but I did see Hallstrom tweet something about Oakland leaving the Summit a few days ago so he might be right this time.

It wont surprise me, but I'll wait to believe it

North Side
04-28-2013, 10:03 PM
I don't think anyone saw Oakland still in the Summit 10 years from now... It was bound to happen.

Summit is now at 8 teams.... 1 in 8 chance of dancing every year!!

tjbison
04-28-2013, 10:16 PM
with the way stuff is going will the Horizon stay at 9

acf2
04-28-2013, 10:18 PM
with the way stuff is going will the Horizon stay at 9
It kinda is looking that way.

Grizzled
04-28-2013, 10:36 PM
So baseball is down to 5 in the conference?

NDSUstudent
04-29-2013, 12:15 AM
So baseball is down to 5 in the conference?

If Oakland leaves and plays in the HL next year, we'll have 5 teams but only four are eligible.

NDSUstudent
04-29-2013, 02:09 AM
Well I have heard reports that Detroit is still trying to block Oakland....not sure I'd say they are the most credible sources though. The problem for the Detroit is that the HL has to add somebody and that somebody has to have baseball....that severely limits their options.

SlickVic
04-29-2013, 02:28 AM
Oru gone now oakland whats da point time for mountain west or mac and save our programs foe the future we are sitting ducks rite now and I wanna see some real basketball not goofy little south dakota teams

NDSUstudent
04-29-2013, 02:33 AM
Unfortunately NDSU can't exactly invite itself into the MWC or the MAC.

HerdBot
04-29-2013, 02:39 AM
Oru gone now oakland whats da point time for mountain west or mac and save our programs foe the future we are sitting ducks rite now and I wanna see some real basketball not goofy little south dakota teams

If we dont have a new arena or plan B in place, we may find ourselves as an independent with no chance at the Big Dance and only playing goofy teams from South Dakota. Kind of sounds like the transition all over again. I suppose worst case we could join the WAC (aka great west)

More than likely we just bolster the summit with crap teams like Chicago State

NorthernBison
04-29-2013, 02:55 AM
If we dont have a new arena or plan B in place, we may find ourselves as an independent with no chance at the Big Dance and only playing goofy teams from South Dakota. Kind of sounds like the transition all over again. I suppose worst case we could join the WAC (aka great west)

What's funny about that is Chicago State might prefer to stay in the WAC vs moving back to the Summit.

HerdBot
04-29-2013, 02:44 PM
What's funny about that is Chicago State might prefer to stay in the WAC vs moving back to the Summit.

The Summit commissioner says we turned down a few teams, wonder if Chicago State was one of them? In hindsight it was probably a bad move. I said 2 years ago we should add them because it was quite obvious we were losing teams and there isn't much out there within our footprint. Worst case it makes life easier for Western Illinois traveling having an in state team.

westnodak93bison
04-29-2013, 02:56 PM

I thought construction of the SHAC was scheduled to start this summer?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

NDSUstudent
04-29-2013, 09:20 PM
Now PantherU claims there may be more additions to the horizon besides Oakland...

According to an administration executive at a Horizon League university, the conference's impending addition of a new school will be the first of hopefully "several new members," the source told PantherU.com in an e-mail.

The source would not confirm or deny whether or not the ninth Horizon League school would be Oakland, only to say that "There will be an announcement soon on a new member." PantherU confirmed through four sources yesterday that Oakland would be the first new member, but none of them knew about anything beyond Oakland.

When asked whether Oakland would be the only school joining the Horizon League for the 2013-14 season, the source said, "That...will depend on how quickly the other schools can get board approval and leave their prospective conferences." It sure looks like other schools are in serious discussions to join the Horizon League.

http://www.brewcityball.com/forums/content.php?603-Oakland-to-be-first-of-hopefully-more

NDSUstudent
04-29-2013, 09:55 PM
Sounds like Oakland was voted into the HL today...

tjbison
04-29-2013, 09:58 PM
Now PantherU claims there may be more additions to the horizon besides Oakland...

http://www.brewcityball.com/forums/content.php?603-Oakland-to-be-first-of-hopefully-more

I sure hope we are one of them, HL needs baseball teams as they are at the minimum.

we really need this bad

acf2
04-29-2013, 10:02 PM
Sounds like Oakland was voted into the HL today...
Where did you hear that from?

NDSUstudent
04-29-2013, 10:09 PM
Where did you hear that from?

Wright State forum.

Green Bay's beat writer was also adamant about Oakland getting in when somebody questioned his sources on twitter today.

acf2
04-29-2013, 10:17 PM
Wright State forum.

Green Bay's beat writer was also adamant about Oakland getting in when somebody questioned his sources on twitter today.
Thanks. This is interesting times for sure.

NDSUstudent
04-29-2013, 10:22 PM
Thanks. This is interesting times for sure.

PantherU who was the source for the original post also said that their AD confirmed to him and some donors at a baseball game that Oakland was being added. We are definitely headed for some interesting times, glad we have the leadership we have in place.

Bison bison
04-29-2013, 10:47 PM
sounds like there could be 1 or 3 more....

Tatanka
04-29-2013, 11:11 PM
sounds like there could be 1 or 3 more....3, pls k thx bye.

EndZoneQB
04-29-2013, 11:17 PM
Who would be the 3 then? xDSU's and UNO or USD? Or....SDSU/USD/UNO?

tjbison
04-29-2013, 11:27 PM

it's all guesses this day in age but I would bet any of these schools are on th list

IUPUI/IPFW/Belmont
NDSU/SDSU/WIU
NKU/Belmont/WIU
NDSU/SDSU/USD

I don't see SDSU getting without NDSU or likewise but

Tatanka
04-29-2013, 11:31 PM
Who would be the 3 then? xDSU's and UNO or USD? Or....SDSU/USD/UNO?No way the SD BoR lets SDSU and USD split up again.

tjbison
04-29-2013, 11:35 PM
No way the SD BoR lets SDSU and USD split up again.

so lets say the HL, invites NDSU, SDSU and UNO

XDSU's being state schools with good overall support and a BBall only school in UNO

you think SDSU will be forced to Pass on it?

NDSUstudent
04-29-2013, 11:35 PM

Even if the Summit is on its deathbed?

Tatanka
04-29-2013, 11:37 PM
so lets say the HL, invites NDSU, SDSU and UNO

XDSU's being state schools with good overall support and a BBall only school in UNO

you think SDSU will be forced to Pass on it?I just don't see the Board of Regents allowing that to happen. Could happen, I just don't think it would. Maybe someone in SD might be more in tune to the situation...

Tatanka
04-29-2013, 11:38 PM
Even if the Summit is on its deathbed?Especially if the Summit is on its deathbed. Why would they allow SDSU to leave USD hanging with their nuts in the breeze?

EndZoneQB
04-29-2013, 11:38 PM

I thought there were some SDSU fans here that had sources saying the schools would not be tied together indefinitely...

Tatanka
04-29-2013, 11:40 PM
I thought there were some SDSU fans here that had sources saying the schools would not be tied together indefinitely...Eh, then I'm wrong. Excellent.

KSBisonFan
04-30-2013, 12:33 AM
I just don't see the Board of Regents allowing that to happen. Could happen, I just don't think it would. Maybe someone in SD might be more in tune to the situation...

It's too bad there isn't someone who lives outside the midwest and doesn't give an F about North Dakota who comes on this board and posts information in a thread relating to SDSU who could maybe give us some insight from the SD angle instead of posting worthless information.....

Honeybooboo
04-30-2013, 12:58 AM
It's too bad there isn't someone who lives outside the midwest and doesn't give an F about North Dakota who comes on this board and posts information in a thread relating to SDSU who could maybe give us some insight from the SD angle instead of posting worthless information.....

most people on here post worthless information not just outsiders....

KSBisonFan
04-30-2013, 01:08 AM

The gang at SDSU Sports Block will be happy to call you their first fan. Congratulations.

BisonNation11
04-30-2013, 01:09 AM

Thank you for that worthless tid bit of info. We had no clue.

Tatanka
04-30-2013, 01:13 AM
Thank you for providing a perfect example.

Honeybooboo
04-30-2013, 01:40 AM
The gang at SDSU Sports Block will be happy to call you their first fan. Congratulations.

Thank you for that worthless tid bit of info. We had no clue.

Thank you for providing a perfect example.

what is untrue about my post? never said I wasn't included did I?

SamsRams
04-30-2013, 01:41 AM

this is why you dont talk sports with girls. miss Booboo, you have never, ever, ever, ever posted anything of substance on this board. Not once, not never and I expect that trend to continue. you only show up when your troll meter is about to burst.

I promise Tony or NDSUstudent or myself or sambini or any of the other BV posters who continually put in effort to put meaningful information on this board, would love to see you actually contribute something rather than post smarmy comments. I get that I post a lot of junk on this board, but I also post a lot of stuff that people take interest in. Try it sometime, maybe you will be able to fall asleep easier knowing you finally did something of importance with your life instead of constantly trying to needle others

Honeybooboo
04-30-2013, 01:45 AM
this is why you dont talk sports with girls. miss Booboo, you have never, ever, ever, ever posted anything of substance on this board. Not once, not never and I expect that trend to continue. you only show up when your troll meter is about to burst.

I promise Tony or NDSUstudent or myself or sambini or any of the other BV posters who continually put in effort to put meaningful information on this board, would love to see you actually contribute something rather than post smarmy comments. I get that I post a lot of junk on this board, but I also post a lot of stuff that people take interest in. Try it sometime, maybe you will be able to fall asleep easier knowing you finally did something of importance with your life instead of constantly trying to needle others

if posting on a message board is making you feel important in life I feel sorry for you, I really do.

Bison bison
04-30-2013, 02:01 AM

HerdBot
04-30-2013, 02:08 AM

Absolutely agree. 5 assholes ruin the entire board. Its almost unreadable. Tony should step in or this board will go the route of other Bison boards. You should try to make people want to post here. Believe me Ive seen it happen before.

HerdBot
04-30-2013, 02:11 AM
if posting on a message board is making you feel important in life I feel sorry for you, I really do.

You spend as much time as Sams does being an asshole. At least sams posts something I read.

KSBisonFan
04-30-2013, 02:13 AM
Absolutely agree. 5 assholes ruin the entire board. Its almost unreadable. Tony should step in or this board will go the route of other Bison boards. You should try to make people want to post here. Believe me Ive seen it happen before.

Well, since I'm on my way to being drunk and I'm already at home, name the 5 A-holes. Just curious.

Bison bison
04-30-2013, 02:15 AM
ooh! ooh!

pick me, gabe! pick me!!!

HerdBot
04-30-2013, 02:16 AM
Well, since I'm on my way to being drunk and I'm already at home, name the 5 A-holes. Just curious.

I could do 11 but I don't have enough fingers

HerdBot
04-30-2013, 02:18 AM
ooh! ooh!

pick me, gabe! pick me!!!

I actually like you. Yea your an asshole but you have your beliefs. Your an asshole only because your opinion sucks. That means something ! :)

56BISON73
04-30-2013, 02:19 AM

Take off your shoes. Hey just trying to help.

KSBisonFan
04-30-2013, 02:21 AM

Oh yeah, I forgot you've only got 2 fingers and all 3 are directed at fat people.....and facts.

HerdBot
04-30-2013, 02:23 AM
Take off your shoes. Hey just trying to help.

Ha ha. And your an asshole too. But for some reason I enjoy your posts. Probably because you mix in your ass hole ways with occasional good content and you got sausage which feeds bison fans

HerdBot
04-30-2013, 02:25 AM
Oh yeah, I forgot you've only got 2 fingers and all 3 are directed at fat people.....and facts.

Now fat assholes are the worst!!

ndsubison1
04-30-2013, 06:52 AM

maybe western illinois? teams from ovc?

SamsRams
04-30-2013, 10:42 AM

if constantly doing nothing of importance with your life makes you feel important, I could care less. Just keep your hate to your jerk off sessions, get back to following your Sioux and leave us NDSU fans alone.

unbison
04-30-2013, 11:13 AM
Don't group yourself with us I just read another of your posts where you said you hate all posters on this board

Honeybooboo
04-30-2013, 11:26 AM
Don't group yourself with us I just read another of your posts where you said you hate all posters on this board

it's ok unbison, we are not in the group that salivate at everything NDSU, one thing I've learned on here if you disagree your tagged an Ass Clown ( from Gabes neg rep) or this SAMs dude will tell you how important he is to society because he stalks recruits on social media and cries if someone doesn't credit him with the "scoop" on a news story. then as a last resort they call you a Sioux fan.

sadly I bet I've been to more NDSU FB and BBall games than ram

Bison bison
04-30-2013, 01:43 PM
still waiting for someone reputable to report on the move.

i don't see why they would longer than a day or two to make the announcement...

tony
04-30-2013, 02:46 PM
maybe western illinois? teams from ovc?

I've lost track of all the names that have been mentioned.

Kind of expecting that the Horizon is waiting so they can announce everybody at once - must still be waiting on some answers from some other programs (eastern ones, I'm guessing.)

Bison bison
04-30-2013, 03:42 PM
or the SDBOR...

JackJD
04-30-2013, 04:48 PM
I just don't see the Board of Regents allowing that to happen. Could happen, I just don't think it would. Maybe someone in SD might be more in tune to the situation...

If someone in SD claims to be more in tune with the situation and considers replying...will it just open the doors to more name calling? ;)

zooropa
04-30-2013, 04:49 PM
As has been explained on numerous occasions:

The Board of Regents DID NOT INTERVENE to prevent USD from joining the Big Sky.

The Board of Regents' approval was NOT needed to accept the invitation from the Big Sky.

The Board of Regents' approval WAS needed to pay the $50k buyout to the Summit.

JackJD
04-30-2013, 05:17 PM
Okay, I have two cents in my pocket so I'll contribute: I don't claim to be particularly 'in tune' with what the SDBOR may be thinking but at the same time, I do not see evidence that the SDBOR uses a heavy hand in dictating to the regental institutions on sports issues. The best evidence supporting my statement is the recent history: the regents did not interfere in SDSU's move to D-1 and didn't require SDSU and USD to be in lockstep. The Regents imposed some reasonable rules (conference affiliation was discussed; I'm guessing they had some hard discussions about financial issues to make sure the schools had a reasonable plan) but basically SDSU and USD planned their courses. Keep in mind USD was all but signed on the line to be in the Big Sky when it changed direction. That was done by the administration (and a smart move, in my opinion) and the SDBOR did not appear to interfere.

The SDBOR has a relatively new executive and I think people in SD who pay attention to the Regents give them high marks for keeping their purpose and their goals in mind. The Regents have a good working relationship with the institutions and maintain a decent relationship with the legislature. I think the Regents are a thoughtful, progressive board that has to continually struggle with limited resources. While the SDBOR gives its stamp of approval to sport-issues, I cannot think of one instance of the Regents blocking recent sports developments at any of the institutions. More recent examples: Black Hills State and School of Mines tried to do a package-deal move up to NCAA D-II...some would say BHSU forgot about Mines when BHSU got a conference invite and Mines was shunned. I've heard some claiming to be in the know say bad thinks about BHSU while others criticize Mines for not having its homework done. SDBOR didn't intervene...didn't even ask BHSU to slow down and let Mines catch up to give Mines a chance. Mines recently announced it is joining a D-II conference with some sports starting next year and football starting in 2014. Dakota State U in Madison recently announced it is joining an NAIA conference starting next season after wandering in NAIA indepedent-limbo for a few years.

I've thought the SDBOR has a more benevolent, favorite uncle-approach to its institutions with respect to sports, as in giving common sense advice. So far the member institutions have not done anything stupid enough to have the Regents jerk their chain (because the Regents certainly have the power to do just that). I have formed an impression that the ND equivalent of the SDBOR has a poorer reputation in ND than the SDBOR has in SD. Perhaps some ND fans are doing a little transference when discussing the SDBOR.

Tatanka
04-30-2013, 05:36 PM
Tha ks JackJD, I think you're probably right about the transference. I'm still going to be surprised if the SD schools split up again.

Grizzled
04-30-2013, 05:51 PM
Tha ks JackJD, I think you're probably right about the transference. I'm still going to be surprised if the SD schools split up again.

^^^^^^This.

jacksfan29
04-30-2013, 07:55 PM

The Board of Regents' approval was NOT needed to accept the invitation from the Big Sky.

I've never been able to figure out exactly where the story stating the BOR blocked USD from going Big Sky. It seems to have originated on Whioux.com, with Star2City. I keep in touch with a number of folks in Pierre who have categorically stated USD could have accepted an invite into any conference they chose. USD had already accepted the Summit invite when Fullerton came calling. The key was getting the MVC schools to accept USD into the MVFC. I have no doubt that SDSU and probably NDSU both stepped up and pushed hard for USD. It only made sense for SDSU and NDSU to step in to ensure USD stayed in the Summit.

I don't think the BOR would block either school from doing what the SCHOOL thinks is best for them.

WYOBISONMAN
04-30-2013, 07:58 PM
I have formed an impression that the ND equivalent of the SDBOR has a poorer reputation in ND than the SDBOR has in SD.

LOL......Do you think?

But the Legislature is worse!

zooropa
04-30-2013, 08:13 PM
I've never been able to figure out exactly where the story stating the BOR blocked USD from going Big Sky. It seems to have originated on Whioux.com, with Star2City. I keep in touch with a number of folks in Pierre who have categorically stated USD could have accepted an invite into any conference they chose. USD had already accepted the Summit invite when Fullerton came calling. The key was getting the MVC schools to accept USD into the MVFC. I have no doubt that SDSU and probably NDSU both stepped up and pushed hard for USD. It only made sense for SDSU and NDSU to step in to ensure USD stayed in the Summit.

I don't think the BOR would block either school from doing what the SCHOOL thinks is best for them.

Basically, the starting point was the note in the Big Sky press release mentioning that USD needed BoR approval.

Since it was never stated what approval was needed, people assumed it was for conference affiliation, and not approval for the Summit buyout fee.

The UND folks love it because it enables them to feel jobbed by the entire state of South Dakota--or at least a larger portion of it--instead of realizing that their messes are largely if not entirely of their own making.

NDSU people like the story because, as far as I can tell, it implies that SD is beset with palace intrigues and byzantine conspiracies just like ND higher ed.

Bison bison
04-30-2013, 08:27 PM

So wouldn't the Board need to approve SDSU and USD's Summit League buyout to go to the Horizon?

zooropa
04-30-2013, 08:36 PM
So wouldn't the Board need to approve SDSU and USD's Summit League buyout to go to the Horizon?

If there were a buyout, yes, they would have to approve it, and while that presents a sliver of a chance that the BoR could void a conference switch by refusing to authorize a buyout, the odds of that being put into practice are remote.

As JackJD pointed out, the BoR is not in the habit of second-guessing the decisions SDSU & USD make about athletics.

Bison bison
04-30-2013, 08:38 PM
I never said that, but the fact remains that Board must meet (and agree) in order for the schools to move.

homer
04-30-2013, 08:40 PM
Basically, the starting point was the note in the Big Sky press release mentioning that USD needed BoR approval.

Since it was never stated what approval was needed, people assumed it was for conference affiliation, and not approval for the Summit buyout fee.

The UND folks love it because it enables them to feel jobbed by the entire state of South Dakota--or at least a larger portion of it--instead of realizing that their messes are largely if not entirely of their own making.

NDSU people like the story because, as far as I can tell, it implies that SD is beset with palace intrigues and byzantine conspiracies just like ND higher ed.

I don't think anyone at UND cares anymore about USD's decision. UND's mess might look pretty attractive to one of the other Dakota schools if the Horizon comes calling in the Summit or Denver jumps ship again. I don't see all 3 Dakota schools getting invited together.

zooropa
04-30-2013, 09:05 PM
I never said that, but the fact remains that Board must meet (and agree) in order for the schools to move.

No. If there is no buyout, or the expenditure is below the minimum required for BoR approval, then there is no need to meet with the BoR.

This is a more correct statement:

"the fact remains that Board must meet (and agree) if moving will incur additional expense above a certain amount."

If SDSU were to give two years' notice, AFAIK, they would not have to pay a buyout. If they do not have to pay a buyout, they do not need BoR approval.

The BoR did not approve USD's invite to the MVFC. It was a done deal as soon as the conference presidents voted on it. Remember? They had a press conference in Vermillion that day.

zooropa
04-30-2013, 09:06 PM
UND's mess might look pretty attractive to one of the other Dakota schools if the Horizon comes calling in the Summit

Yeah. You keep telling yourself that. The Summit League auto-bid ain't going anywhere, and the SL would have to lose a lot more than Oakland before they hit "Big Sky" level basketball irrelevance.

Bison bison
04-30-2013, 09:10 PM
zooropa for teh win!!

abc123
04-30-2013, 09:59 PM
Yeah. You keep telling yourself that. The Summit League auto-bid ain't going anywhere, and the SL would have to lose a lot more than Oakland before they hit "Big Sky" level basketball irrelevance.
Are you happy with the direction and leadership of the Summit?

As for basketball, both schools are one-bid leagues and received pretty much the same seed the last few years with no wins. ButtRPI I guess?

zooropa
04-30-2013, 10:40 PM

Yes.

The additions to the Summit have made sense either geographically, or competitively. UND was neither a geographic nor a competitive asset for the Big Sky. It still isn't.

I'd also note that the Summit, last year averaged more fans per session than the A-10, the WCC, and the Horizon at the MBB tourney, and the WBB tourney attendance was #5 in the country. The Big Sky, with games played at various home courts, wasn't even within hooting distance of the Summit League's numbers. If the Big Sky were a competent basketball conference, shouldn't there be at least enough fan support somewhere for a tournament? Or enough fan support on the campuses for decent attendance figures?

homer
05-01-2013, 12:15 AM
Yes.

The additions to the Summit have made sense either geographically, or competitively. UND was neither a geographic nor a competitive asset for the Big Sky. It still isn't.

I'd also note that the Summit, last year averaged more fans per session than the A-10, the WCC, and the Horizon at the MBB tourney, and the WBB tourney attendance was #5 in the country. The Big Sky, with games played at various home courts, wasn't even within hooting distance of the Summit League's numbers. If the Big Sky were a competent basketball conference, shouldn't there be at least enough fan support somewhere for a tournament? Or enough fan support on the campuses for decent attendance figures?

I guess I don't know what "hooting" distance is in South Dakota but the Men's Summit League average 5,927 fans/session. The Big Sky average was 5,808 fans/session. The setup was nice for the women's basketball games having SDSU and USD play in the chipper. Summit league is good for basketball.

A couple questions though. What happens if Denver leaves? Does this being their 4th conference in 4 years concern you? Do you think the eastern schools will want to keep traveling to Sioux Falls every year for the basketball tourney. The numbers are good but your regular season is worthless with SDSU and USD basically having homecourt every post season. 3/4's of that attendance was wearing blue and yellow. How about baseball? I think there is a lot of questions in the Summit but at least you have a good turnout for your post season basketball tournament. Your one more deflection away from offering former Great West schools like NJIT and Chicago St.

Tatanka
05-01-2013, 12:57 AM
I guess I don't know what "hooting" distance is in South Dakota but the Men's Summit League average 5,927 fans/session. The Big Sky average was 5,808 fans/session. The setup was nice for the women's basketball games having SDSU and USD play in the chipper. Summit league is good for basketball.

A couple questions though. What happens if Denver leaves? Does this being their 4th conference in 4 years concern you? Do you think the eastern schools will want to keep traveling to Sioux Falls every year for the basketball tourney. The numbers are good but your regular season is worthless with SDSU and USD basically having homecourt every post season. 3/4's of that attendance was wearing blue and yellow. How about baseball? I think there is a lot of questions in the Summit but at least you have a good turnout for your post season basketball tournament. Your one more deflection away from offering former Great West schools like NJIT and Chicago St.How much longer until someone in the big skirt finds a map, and learns how to calculate distances? how long until the west coast schools get sick of flying to Fargo and bussing to el Forko?

zooropa
05-01-2013, 01:31 AM
My figures were from 2012, when the Big Sky didn't even crack 4,000 and USD wasn't eligible for the tournament.

A couple questions though. What happens if Denver leaves? Does this being their 4th conference in 4 years concern you? Do you think the eastern schools will want to keep traveling to Sioux Falls every year for the basketball tourney. The numbers are good but your regular season is worthless with SDSU and USD basically having homecourt every post season. 3/4's of that attendance was wearing blue and yellow. How about baseball? I think there is a lot of questions in the Summit but at least you have a good turnout for your post season basketball tournament. Your one more deflection away from offering former Great West schools like NJIT and Chicago St.

"What happens if Denver leaves?"

What happens if an elephant escapes from the circus and sits on my car? This is Denver's third conference in three years, not their fourth in four, and frankly, I'd think less of their administrators if they *stayed* in the WAC.

"keep traveling to Sioux Falls?"

They don't have much choice. They're not going anywhere else. UND may not like paying to send volleyball and soccer teams to NAU, but they don't have much choice either.

"worthless regular season"

I didn't know that fans won basketball games. Makes it real hard to figure out why USD lost in the first round.

"one more defection away from...."

One more defection away from holding collective noses and inviting UND, an invitation which UND would accept with an enthusiasm and alacrity which would cause utmost dismay to those who have spent months of their lives composing dissertations on how the Big Sky is better for UND.

SlickVic
05-01-2013, 04:33 AM
big fluffy basketball r u srs? cuse beat champ by 40+

NDSUstudent
05-01-2013, 04:45 AM
Now a Detroit fan seems to think their school is still blocking Oakland. Not sure if that is true or not. Just a rumor from their board.

southpaw
05-01-2013, 05:33 AM
My figures were from 2012, when the Big Sky didn't even crack 4,000 and USD wasn't eligible for the tournament.
One more defection away from holding collective noses and inviting UND, an invitation which UND would accept with an enthusiasm and alacrity which would cause utmost dismay to those who have spent months of their lives composing dissertations on how the Big Sky is better for UND.

Why would UND accept a bid to a conference where nearly every member is looking to go to a new league? Reportedly, two members have left the conference and one of those was to the WAC, which is basically the Great West 2.0.

Four teams (5 with UNO) does not make a conference. Remember that UND wasn't accepted into the Summit for baseball which In turn could affect the basketball autobid. Not to mention UND would also need to be accepted into the MVFC which isn't a guarantee.

It seems as much of a slam dunk as some NDSU fans thought the bison to the MVC was. What happens when the HL plucks schools from the Summit that aren't in Fargo?

JackJD
05-01-2013, 01:11 PM

Some UND fans appear to be convinced that the SL's commish, Tom Douple, is a bad guy and a terrible leader. I've read some of the foundational "facts" on which those claims appear to be based and they are either flat wrong or horrible misrepresentations and stretches of what really happened. It's not worth trying to reason with some of the people who believe some of the misrepresentations about Douple and what Double has done or said (in other words, I'm not going to debate with nitwits and numbskulls on scurilous lies repeated over and over again on a fan message board until the weight of the lies tips some into being believers).

My opinion, in response to the inquiry about such opinions, is that there is great satisfaction with the direction and leadership of the Summit by the members schools and their fans. To directly answer the question: Yes, I am happy with the direction and leadership of the Summit. These are confusing times for conferences and the Summit has been as steady as any around. While its history shows it has been an entry-level conference, that's the past. Will there be changes in the future? That appears the be the case in all college athletics for the near term. The Summit and its leadership are proving they are meeting the challenges and controlling their destiny as well as any conference and better than many.

I think the barrage of misinformation, much of it leaking from Grand Forks, has had a small impact except among those continually exposed to the barrage. As is the case with most if not all athletic conferences, the member-institution Presidents (or Chancellors or whatever they call their grand pooba) act as the controlling board deciding the big-picture issues. The commish answers to that 'board'. I think the evidence is clear: the member-institutions fully support Tom Douple. Now, if some errant UND fan wants to kick the SL commish around, that's a kick at the Presidents of SDSU, USD and the other member institutions. I know the Presidents of USD and SDSU and they are top-notch people in my book. The errant UND fans who like to predict the demise of the Summit League and portray Tom Douple as some nefarious character suggest to me those fans have been hit in the head one too many times by misguided hockey pucks. (I chuckle about one particularly rabid poster on the UND board who railed on and on against Douple and the Summit League, blaming them for all sorts of evil. Suddently the fellow disappeared from the message board. I had always heard that a huge percentage of the human body is water. In that particular poster's case, I figure he was primarily battery acid and he must have dissolved the floor beneath his feet and fell into the netherworld.)

On the topic of this thread as suggested by the thread title: I admit being influenced by the rumor mill to the point that if I read a formal announcement of Oakland leaving the Summit for the Horizon, I won't be surprised. But, apparently a promoter of the rumor is that panther-fellow, a blogger, who, according to posts I've read from those who profess to follow the blogger a little (I don't), has spewed misinformation before. Here it is Wednesday...no confirmation of the rumor. And yet wasn't this supposed to have been confirmed Monday or yesterday?

homer
05-01-2013, 01:19 PM
Some UND fans appear to be convinced that the SL's commish, Tom Douple, is a bad guy and a terrible leader. I've read some of the foundational "facts" on which those claims appear to be based and they are either flat wrong or horrible misrepresentations and stretches of what really happened. It's not worth trying to reason with some of the people who believe some of the misrepresentations about Douple and what Double has done or said (in other words, I'm not going to debate with nitwits and numbskulls on scurilous lies repeated over and over again on a fan message board until the weight of the lies tips some into being believers).

My opinion, in response to the inquiry about such opinions, is that there is great satisfaction with the direction and leadership of the Summit by the members schools and their fans. To directly answer the question: Yes, I am happy with the direction and leadership of the Summit. These are confusing times for conferences and the Summit has been as steady as any around. While its history shows it has been an entry-level conference, that's the past. Will there be changes in the future? Well, that appears the be the case in college athletics for the near term. The Summit and its leadership are proving its meeting the challenges and controlling its future.

I think the barrage of misinformation, much of it leaking from Grand Forks, has had a small impact except among those continually exposed to the barrage. As is the case with most if not all athletic conferences, the member-institution Presidents (or Chancellors or whatever they call their grand pooba) act as the controlling board deciding the big-picture issues. The commish answers to that 'board'. I think the evidence is clear: the member-institutions fully support Tom Douple. Now, if some errant UND fan wants to kick the SL commish around, that's a kick at the Presidents of SDSU, USD and the other member institutions. I know those guys and I know Tom Douple. The errant UND fans who like to predict the demise of the Summit League and portray Tom Douple as some nefarious character suggest to me those fans have been hit in the head one too many times by misguided hockey pucks.

How's that? Douple might be a great guy but you can't argue every team in the Summit league has a foot out the door. How is that good for a conference?

JackJD
05-01-2013, 01:35 PM
How's that? Douple might be a great guy but you can't argue every team in the Summit league has a foot out the door. How is that good for a conference?

I am one who has the opinion that every college or university in the land would jump ship if convinced it was better for the institution's athletic program and given the opportunity to do so. EVERY COLLEGE OR UNIVERSITY -- that includes every school in the Big Sky. The problem with the Big Sky is geographic isolation...how many FCS football programs are out west? To a lesser extent, the problems with geography are also the Summit League's problems. So the Big Sky has stability because its members can't go anywhere? Wasn't it just a few years ago when the rumor mill was chewing on the demise of the Big Sky because the Montana schools were thinking about jumping ship?

UND's experience with conference shifts in hockey tells us something. There are going to be changes and maybe the relative calm in conference membership in the 1990s and 2000s was the exception and not the rule.

abc123
05-01-2013, 03:47 PM
Yes.

I wouldn't be impressed if I was a baseball playing member of the Summit. The autobid is already in a two year grace period and another one of the schools is rumored to be on its way out. UNC and/or UND would have been an easy solution to that but the Summit wasn't interested.

If Oakland does leaves, that also leaves the conference at 7 "core" members once Denver joins (assuming I understand the NCAA rules, which isn't easy to do). I believe that is the minimum needed to keep the basketball autobid. Not a line I would want to be on.

big fluffy basketball r u srs? cuse beat champ by 40+
And the MAC Champs (who beat NDSU) lost to VCU by 40+. What's your point?

EndZoneQB
05-01-2013, 04:01 PM
And the MAC Champs (who beat NDSU) lost to VCU by 40+. What's your point?

One of their best players didn't even play in the tournament(and ours didn't play against them). That's MY point, b*tch.

zooropa
05-01-2013, 04:27 PM
The autobid is already in a two year grace period

Citation needed.

abc123
05-01-2013, 04:37 PM
One of their best players didn't even play in the tournament(and ours didn't play against them). That's MY point, b*tch.
Montana's leading scorer didn't play in the tournament either.

Citation needed.
Summit League down to 5 tournament-eligible baseball programs (http://www.thedickinsonpress.com/event/article/id/65690/)

HoopsBison
05-01-2013, 04:46 PM
I don't know a ton about Big Sky basketball and truthfully I don't really want to, but a quick look at the conference standings tells me all I need to know. Out of the 11 teams in the conference, two of them managed to have winning records. Half of the teams couldn't manage to win 10 games. They might play basketball in the Big Sky but for the most part its losing basketball.

homer
05-01-2013, 05:08 PM
I don't know a ton about Big Sky basketball and truthfully I don't really want to, but a quick look at the conference standings tells me all I need to know. Out of the 11 teams in the conference, two of them managed to have winning records. Half of the teams couldn't manage to win 10 games. They might play basketball in the Big Sky but for the most part its losing basketball.

Two teams in the Big Sky didn't reach 10 wins, same as in the Summit.

HoopsBison
05-01-2013, 05:13 PM
Two teams in the Big Sky didn't reach 10 wins, same as in the Summit.

True, I was looking at the conference records. My bad.

I do see that one of our teams who failed to win 10 games and took 8th in our conference beat the Big Sky 3rd rank team at their house...

Also Id be curious what the head to heard record was between conferences, bet you the SL won more then the Big Sky.

Bison Dan
05-01-2013, 05:33 PM

I do see that one of our teams who failed to win 10 games and took 8th in our conference beat the Big Sky 3rd rank team at their house...

Also Id be curious what the head to heard record was between conferences, bet you the SL won more then the Big Sky.The who played 4 teams from the SL and lost them all.

zooropa
05-01-2013, 05:38 PM
Summit League down to 5 tournament-eligible baseball programs (http://www.thedickinsonpress.com/event/article/id/65690/)

Thanks. I had thought that UNO counted despite being in transition limbo.

Hambone
05-01-2013, 05:39 PM

Also Id be curious what the head to heard record was between conferences, bet you the SL won more then the Big Sky.

Point of order - UND lost to Omaha in Omaha, not Grand Forks (if I'm reading your note right implying the game was in Grand Forks) :) If I'm wrong about your meaning, oops......

Also, I don't believe there were toomany matchups between the two conferences, and I'm not sure that the Big Sky won any. UND went 0-4, SDSU beat Montana at the buzzer, and USD beat Montana State. Not sure if there were any others (did Idaho State beat a Summit team?) and I don't have time to look it up :)

Plus, and I think I've mentioned this before, I hate the dick measuring contests between conferences. The Summit was stronger overall this year (by a pretty good margin), and the Big Sky has been stronger in the past and may be again in the near future (or might not be until the distant future). I just don't really get it I guess......

Anyway, about the topic at hand - if Oakland is indeed leaving, and the Horizon is done adding SL teams (assuming they don't get raided even more), the Summit still needs to find one more member to really feel safe, no? Plus at least add a baseball affiliate or two. Personally I think they'll be fine in the long run, and for the time being I'm fine with the Big Sky for UND. That is, until all four Dakota schools are in a conference with the two Montana schools, Idaho, Idaho State and Northern Colorado :hide::hide::hide:

zooropa
05-01-2013, 06:39 PM
That is, until all four Dakota schools are in a conference with the two Montana schools, Idaho, Idaho State and Northern Colorado :hide::hide::hide:

Would not want to be in a conference with the Montana schools until there is some evidence that they have cleaned up their acts. I've been perhaps unnecessarily harsh toward UND, but when compared to Montana & Montana State, I find UND & UND fans' attitude toward athletics to be quite healthy and well-adjusted.

Bison bison
05-01-2013, 06:43 PM
I still can't believe the jacks lost that lead in the playoffs!!!

Hilarious!

HoopsBison
05-01-2013, 06:48 PM
Point of order - UND lost to Omaha in Omaha, not Grand Forks (if I'm reading your note right implying the game was in Grand Forks) :) If I'm wrong about your meaning, oops......

I was actually referring to UMKC, surprisingly UNO did a lot better then most expected this year in the SL.

Also, I don't believe there were toomany matchups between the two conferences, and I'm not sure that the Big Sky won any. UND went 0-4, SDSU beat Montana at the buzzer, and USD beat Montana State. Not sure if there were any others (did Idaho State beat a Summit team?) and I don't have time to look it up :)

I think you are correct on all this...

Plus, and I think I've mentioned this before, I hate the dick measuring contests between conferences. The Summit was stronger overall this year (by a pretty good margin), and the Big Sky has been stronger in the past and may be again in the near future (or might not be until the distant future). I just don't really get it I guess......

Agreed, the only reason I brought this up was because some UND posters think the Big Sky is some holy grail of conferences. Yes its more stable then the SL currently but there is reason for that. Just not a lot conferences for any Big Sky teams to move to. Case in point if an University in either the SL or Big Sky gets a call from a conference that is better situation they are going to listen.

Anyway, about the topic at hand - if Oakland is indeed leaving, and the Horizon is done adding SL teams (assuming they don't get raided even more), the Summit still needs to find one more member to really feel safe, no? Plus at least add a baseball affiliate or two. Personally I think they'll be fine in the long run, and for the time being I'm fine with the Big Sky for UND. That is, until all four Dakota schools are in a conference with the two Montana schools, Idaho, Idaho State and Northern Colorado :hide::hide::hide:

See above in red...

Hambone
05-01-2013, 07:35 PM
See above in red...

Aha - I see I failed at comprehension and knowing what the hell was going on in general :)

gotts
05-01-2013, 07:57 PM
Aha - I see I failed at comprehension and knowing what the hell was going on in general :)

Thus, you fit in here.

bincitysioux
05-02-2013, 01:52 AM

My opinion, in response to the inquiry about such opinions, is that there is great satisfaction with the direction and leadership of the Summit by the members schools and their fans. To directly answer the question: Yes, I am happy with the direction and leadership of the Summit. These are confusing times for conferences and the Summit has been as steady as any around. While its history shows it has been an entry-level conference, that's the past. Will there be changes in the future? That appears the be the case in all college athletics for the near term. The Summit and its leadership are proving they are meeting the challenges and controlling their destiny as well as any conference and better than many.

I think the barrage of misinformation, much of it leaking from Grand Forks, has had a small impact except among those continually exposed to the barrage. As is the case with most if not all athletic conferences, the member-institution Presidents (or Chancellors or whatever they call their grand pooba) act as the controlling board deciding the big-picture issues. The commish answers to that 'board'. I think the evidence is clear: the member-institutions fully support Tom Douple. Now, if some errant UND fan wants to kick the SL commish around, that's a kick at the Presidents of SDSU, USD and the other member institutions. I know the Presidents of USD and SDSU and they are top-notch people in my book. The errant UND fans who like to predict the demise of the Summit League and portray Tom Douple as some nefarious character suggest to me those fans have been hit in the head one too many times by misguided hockey pucks. (I chuckle about one particularly rabid poster on the UND board who railed on and on against Douple and the Summit League, blaming them for all sorts of evil. Suddently the fellow disappeared from the message board. I had always heard that a huge percentage of the human body is water. In that particular poster's case, I figure he was primarily battery acid and he must have dissolved the floor beneath his feet and fell into the netherworld.)

On the topic of this thread as suggested by the thread title: I admit being influenced by the rumor mill to the point that if I read a formal announcement of Oakland leaving the Summit for the Horizon, I won't be surprised. But, apparently a promoter of the rumor is that panther-fellow, a blogger, who, according to posts I've read from those who profess to follow the blogger a little (I don't), has spewed misinformation before. Here it is Wednesday...no confirmation of the rumor. And yet wasn't this supposed to have been confirmed Monday or yesterday?

A lot of the "misinformation leaking from Grand Forks" stems from the following: During the 2009 ND Legislative session, a senator from Grand Forks announced she was toying with the idea of introducing a bill that would require North Dakota and NDSU to play an annual football game.

A day later, NDSU's A.D. Gene Taylor made the rounds on radio in Fargo, Bismarck, and Grand Forks insinuating that such a bill could potentially "affect" NDSU's standing in the good graces of the Summit League because the Commissioner had advised its members not to schedule North Dakota because of the nickname battle going on between us and the NCAA.

Less than 24 hours later, Tom Douple was a guest on the radio show of North Dakota's football play-by-play announcer, Dan Hammer. Hammer explicitly asked Douple at least 3 times during the show, "Have you ever issued a directive to your member schools not to schedule North Dakota because of their nickname?". Douple's answer all 3 times was, "I have never discussed North Dakota's nickname with a member school, nor have I discussed the nickname of the Utah Utes".

Less than 24 hours after that interview, The Fargo Forum's Jeff Kolpack printed a story in which he interviewed Douple regarding North Dakota's nickname and their application to the Summit for membership. When asked about a scheduling directive, Douple answered, "I've advised our members to be cautious of North Dakota, and you can interpret that in scheduling."

This all happened, and I'm sure if one is willing, they can find the radio transcripts and newspaper articles.

If you want to call it "misinformation" that is fine. But it appears to me that it was Douple that was spreading it.

More back on topic regarding the current situation that the Summit finds itself in:

With UMKC and Oakland leaving, and the possibility that the Horizon may take a couple more schools down the road, doesn't the Summit really need to reach out to Chicago St.? I know they are terrible, both athletically and academically, but they have baseball, they are full-fledged DI school, geographically they are about as close to the center of the footprint as a school can get, located at a major airport hub. I know they recently committed to the WAC, but surely CSU is not looking forward to the travel that will require.

As of now, the Summit will be an 8 team league including Denver. DU will be joining its third conference in 3 years this season. I doubt that the conference brass is counting on them being a member for the long term.

Of course hindsight is 20/20, but at this point, even the most ardent XDSU fan has to admit that Douple really screwed the pooch when he filed North Dakota's application in his desk drawer at the same time that he accepted USD's. Back then, UND would have been all over the Summit, even without the MVFC offer.

SamsRams
05-02-2013, 02:05 AM
why are we talking about these up north turds again?

zooropa
05-02-2013, 02:25 AM
Douple answered, "I've advised our members to be cautious of North Dakota, and you can interpret that in scheduling."

Back then, UND would have been all over the Summit, even without the MVFC offer.

Citation needed for the first quote. I couldn't find it, and if you're going to say it happened, you've got the burden of proof.

On the second item, UND would still jump at an invite from the Summit, and if you think otherwise, just remember that about half the Summit is closer to UND than the closest Big Sky school.

abc123
05-02-2013, 02:40 AM
On the second item, UND would still jump at an invite from the Summit, and if you think otherwise, just remember that about half the Summit is closer to UND than the closest Big Sky school.
This is flat out false. If that was the case, UND never would have cancelled the Summit's visit, which in the history of the Summit has always been followed with an invite. Unless of course you can cite something that states otherwise.

bincitysioux
05-02-2013, 02:42 AM
On the second item, UND would still jump at an invite from the Summit.........................

Citation needed..................

NDSUstudent
05-02-2013, 02:49 AM
I think it would be hard for UND to say no to a Summit and MVFC invite...

homer
05-02-2013, 02:55 AM
Citation needed for the first quote. I couldn't find it, and if you're going to say it happened, you've got the burden of proof.

I can't read the article since its from 2009 but this is the article you would be looking for.

https://secure.forumcomm.com/?publisher_ID=1&article_id=227105&CFID=645027638&CFTOKEN=94962022

bincitysioux
05-02-2013, 03:01 AM
I think it would be hard for UND to say no to a Summit and MVFC invite...

Are you serious?

If in 2010, when North Dakota accepted the Big Sky invite, if they also had an offer AT THAT TIME from BOTH the Summit and MVFC, I think they would have went the Summit/MVFC route. Today, I could not see them in any way, shape, or form, even entertaining the idea of leaving a soon-to-be 12 team Big Sky that includes Montana, Montana St., Idaho, Idaho St., UC Davis, and Northern Colorado to roll the dice with the Summit League, which on average loses a member every 1.78 years...............

SlickVic
05-02-2013, 03:06 AM
Acf answer guy homer bincity hambone abc holy shit how many dam und trolls are thier this board is a slap in the face to ndsu recently we need someone to come in here and kick these foolz outta here

NDSUstudent
05-02-2013, 03:07 AM
Are you serious?

If in 2010, when North Dakota accepted the Big Sky invite, if they also had an offer AT THAT TIME from BOTH the Summit and MVFC, I think they would have went the Summit/MVFC route. Today, I could not see them in any way, shape, or form, even entertaining the idea of leaving a soon-to-be 12 team Big Sky that includes Montana, Montana St., Idaho, Idaho St., UC Davis, and Northern Colorado to roll the dice with the Summit League, which on average loses a member every 1.78 years...............

I'm dead serious. The savings in travel would be immense. Toss in a MN school and suddenly you have a very tight conference.

I bet every coach at UND would fall in love with that idea.

bincitysioux
05-02-2013, 03:42 AM
I'm dead serious. The savings in travel would be immense. Toss in a MN school and suddenly you have a very tight conference.

I bet every coach at UND would fall in love with that idea.

The travel benefit of the Summit is a very valid one, I will acknowledge that.

Perosonally, since the move to DI, I have always advocated North Dakota pursuing Big Sky membership for two main reasons:

1) Opponent Continuity: Because of hockey, UND's fan base is already splintered. With Big Sky membership, we can maintain the same "rivals" across two conferences rather than three. I think it would be difficult at best to sell 3 different marquee opponents each year in the sports of hockey, football, and basketball. Since the Big Sky is an all-sports league, fans only need to be familiar with two leagues rather than three.

2) Non-Conference Menu: With Big Sky affilitation, North Dakota is guaranteed X number of games every year in both basketball and football with "name" schools like Montana, Montana St, Weber St., a familiar opponent in Northern Colorado, as well as OOC games against regional schools of interest like NDSU, SDSU, USD, UNI, UNO, etc............

North Dakota's conference travel budget may be larger than the XDSU's, but the potential is there for our non-conference travel budget to be much less.

The current landscape of NCAA sports is out of the norm and is playing a huge role in the level of satisfaction that any school has in their current conference. Like I said, if North Dakota could have gotten into the Summit back in 2009 when USD did, they would have jumped at the chance. But times change, and I think it is quite silly to assume that at this point in time that North Dakota would leave what appears to be a stable conference for one that has lost 3 members in two years.

NorthernBison
05-02-2013, 12:00 PM
Douple SHOULD have UND at the top of his list. He SHOULD be exploring the potential to get them an MVFC invite as that is the only chance he has of adding them.

If I was Faison, I'm not sure I would want to get that joint invitation because it would make too much sense. I'd rather not have to decide.

1. The Summit is pretty unstable right now. UND would instantly make that a non-issue. The 4 Dakota schools, WIU, Omaha, and Denver make it 7 and that's a group that would stick together for a long time. Wouldn't matter what IUPUI or IPFW do at that point.

2. Denver switching conferences is less about them being finicky than it is about getting essentially kicked out of the Belt and the WAC imploding. A stable Summit is a place Denver would stay in. If the Summit remains unstable, they could go somewhere else. So could any other member.

3. Let's face it, none of the current MVFC members are much of a threat to move to an FBS conference. If the MVFC can deal with 10 teams, it can handle 11 and who knows what YSU will end up doing eventually. The MVC football playing schools benefit from a stable Summit. I think they know that.

4. The Big Sky IS Stable. After that, there are some serious negatives (3 time zones, recruiting area, geography for travel, no baseball, no S&D). I laugh at NAME schools. WTF is that supposed to mean? Maybe Montana. MSU has lost my respect forever. The rest are no more name schools than most of the Summit.

I'm sure there are a lot of points I missed but that's the gist of how I see it without letting objectivity fly out the door.

We should be careful to not judge everything by what fans on message boards spew. The constant smack talk about conferences gets old after a while.

HerdBot
05-02-2013, 12:24 PM
Are you serious?

Big Sky is stable but thats it. Its kind of like buying a boring economy car (with extended warranty) like a Ford Focus. Its always going to be there, but its a Ford Focus. Nobody will be excited when they see it. You wont pick up any chicks and if you do they will have great personalities and huge gargantuan asses.

Now football...

The MVFC is the best conference in the nation and incredibly stable. I think the Big Sky is a better fit for the no D style of football anyways. I bet USD with their 0-8 record wishes they had gone Big Sky too

abc123
05-02-2013, 12:39 PM
Big Sky is stable but thats it. Its kind of like buying a boring economy car (with extended warranty) like a Ford Focus. Its always going to be there, but its a Ford Focus. Nobody will be excited when they see it. You wont pick up any chicks and if you do they will have great personalities and huge gargantuan asses.

While I think your analogy is absurd and doesn't make sense, I would love to hear what kind of car you think the Summit is.

NorthernBison
05-02-2013, 12:51 PM
While I think your analogy is absurd and doesn't make sense, I would love to hear what kind of car you think the Summit is.

I HATE analogies and his IS absurd.

I think UND would save the Summit and make it solid. More importantly, the Summit/MVFC with UND would be a better place for UND than the Big Sky currently is.

HerdBot
05-02-2013, 01:17 PM

Leased version of the Ford Focus. We get a new one every 2 years and new is better! Plus we have border drag races with Focuses.
Both conferences suck. If stability is all the BSC has with mediocre schools am I supposed to be jealous?

Tatanka
05-02-2013, 01:49 PM
Well, that hiatus certainly didn't last long.

HerdBot
05-02-2013, 02:04 PM
Acf answer guy homer bincity hambone abc holy shit how many dam und trolls are thier this board is a slap in the face to ndsu recently we need someone to come in here and kick these foolz outta here

Actually the regulars on Bisonville are worse. I just blocked about 10 people who make the board unreadable. And to think they blocked Lakes. It would be great if there could be some actual content on this board instead of dicks who just want to argue for no reason.May move over to Lakes new board.

NorthernBison
05-02-2013, 02:58 PM
I just hope that Douple has something going. Our baseball AQ is on life support and I tend to believe the Oakland rumors.

If Douple is dropping the ball, then Gene better have a Plan B ready to go.

Tatanka
05-02-2013, 03:04 PM
I just hope that Douple has something going. Our baseball AQ is on life support and I tend to believe the Oakland rumors.

If Douple is dropping the ball, then Gene better have a Plan B ready to go.I trust Gene is as far ahead of this mess as humanly possible. He knows what's on the line.

Another positive is that Gene (and Bohl for that matter) are representing NDSU on regional and national committees at their respective levels. Both are very much plugged in to the bigger picture--which can only help to stay ahead of the game.

BisonJD
05-02-2013, 03:25 PM
Moderators on the Grizz board say its a done deal - Oakland has a trustee meeting scheduled for early next week.

EndZoneQB
05-02-2013, 03:51 PM
Actually the regulars on Bisonville are worse. I just blocked about 10 people who make the board unreadable. And to think they blocked Lakes. It would be great if there could be some actual content on this board instead of dicks who just want to argue for no reason.May move over to Lakes new board.

gabe, it's the f*ckin offseason, take a chill pill. Shits boring and the weather sucks, free entertainment. You joined in last year but lost it this year...

HerdBot
05-02-2013, 04:36 PM
EndZoneQB
This message is hidden because EndZoneQB is on your ignore list.
View Post
Remove user from ignore list

Let me guess its probably some snide ass clown remark.

gotts
05-02-2013, 04:38 PM
gabe, it's the f*ckin offseason, take a chill pill. Shits boring and the weather sucks, free entertainment. You joined in last year but lost it this year...

Quoted for gabe's enjoyment

HerdBot
05-02-2013, 04:44 PM
gotts
This message is hidden because gotts is on your ignore list.
View Post

gotts
05-02-2013, 04:46 PM
It's too bad that his supposed "ignoring" of people won't cut down on the amazingly enormous amount of stupid shit he says.

I bet he gets an itchy trigger finger and clicks to reveal the posts :)

DePereBisonFan
05-02-2013, 04:55 PM
I'd like to see the Summit invite UNC and UND. UNC and Denver will be travel partners, NDSU and UND would be travel partners.

UND and UNC can stay in Big Sky football or move to the MVFC, replacing YSU (assuming YSU leaves for the CAA).

coldspot
05-02-2013, 05:11 PM
I'd like to see the Summit invite UNC and UND. UNC and Denver will be travel partners, NDSU and UND would be travel partners.

UND and UNC can stay in Big Sky football or move to the MVFC, replacing YSU (assuming YSU leaves for the CAA).

they can stay in the big sky for football, assuming the big sky will allow that (doubtful)

HerdBot
05-02-2013, 05:23 PM

Me too. 4 Dakota Schools, + UNO, UNC is mega stable. That's 1 short of 7 which I think is the auto bid #. We can always find a #7 team. Its the core of theNCC that lasted decades, the Dakota schools lasted 100 years playing each other

HerdBot
05-02-2013, 05:26 PM
they can stay in the big sky for football, assuming the big sky will allow that (doubtful)

Davis and Poly are football only aren't they?

NorthernBison
05-02-2013, 05:34 PM

Yes. They are. While the Big Sky "MIGHT" agree to more football only members, I don't see those schools ever wanting to do that. Far easier for them to remain full members as they are now.

I don't think UNC would benefit from a move away from the BSC.

UND would be better served by a Summit/MVFC affiliation, IMO. (There's probably some "emotional" reasons they might not see it that way.)

coldspot
05-02-2013, 05:35 PM

those two had so many options for FCS football affiliation on the west coast.

HerdBot
05-02-2013, 05:39 PM
those two had so many options for FCS football affiliation on the west coast.

Sacramento, Poly, and Davis... where else could they go? Honestly I can't even remember what is Poly and Davis regular conference for other sports?

1998braves64
05-02-2013, 05:49 PM
I think it would have been hard for UND to say no to a Summit and MVFC invite...

FIFY... that said it's going to take some good persuasion skills to get them to come now, not saying it couldn't be done but they're going to have to prove to UND that this isn't a flash in the pan fix that the SL and MVFC will be stable.

NDSUstudent
05-02-2013, 06:07 PM
FIFY... that said it's going to take some good persuasion skills to get them to come now, not saying it couldn't be done but they're going to have to prove to UND that this isn't a flash in the pan fix that the SL and MVFC will be stable.

UND fans will never admit it but playing NDSU, SDSU, USD and UNI in football every year provides way more value than the Big Sky schools...their fans can travel to those games and they are games that actually mean something when it comes to recruiting. Those are all schools they actively compete with.

As for the Summit...Douple should be working hard to get a MN school to commit. New Summit..

NDSU-UND
SDSU-Mankato or SCSU
USD-UNO
WIU-IUPUI
IPFW-Denver

At this point I'd also look at putting the Summit tournament in the Twin Cities...the league would have a massive alumni presence there and if the league is going to be healthy long term it needs a presence in a big market.

Western4Life
05-02-2013, 07:28 PM
First, I threw up a little in my mouth as I decided upon this.

Chicago St. needs an invitation. WIU needs games in Chicago/IL, SL needs a baseball team, WIU needs a travel partner if Oakland is gone, and we need that stability to invite anyone else into the fray. I can honestly say atm WIU would be best served in the HL. When I start breaking it down it is because our history with those schools, another member in state, slightly better travel, access to larger markets for recruiting, and we can still use the MVFC membership to keep football stable. However, Northern Ky is the clear favorite after Oakland. So I am more focused on SL improvement which has been going VERY well. Losing Centenary, Southern Utah, and creating a footprint were all wins. UMKC wasn't a loss I expected or wanted to see.

If the HL is appealing for those reasons than something must be done to make the SL appealing for similar reasons. While not UIC > Chicago St. offers us a piece to work with. Having bids and a geography worth a crap via conference games Chicago State may be able to compete. Student travel should be a concern for classes etc as well IMO. Their new arena is solid, they have enough teams sponsored, but sports there are still recouping from poor administrations. We could be part of the cure in the SL. I have always been against the re-addition of them but it should be considered. Promising a kid a few games back home in front of people in Chicago helps etc. Especially with Juco kids.

Personally nickname or not UND should be in the SL IMO. UNC considering the addition of DU makes sense as well. I wish very much for the SL to push the MVFC to add UNC and UND. It would keep me from ever having to logically address adding Chicago State. UNC/UND>>>Chicago State. Just to be clear but Football rules us all.

Proposed Travel Partners.... NDSU/SDSU, Omaha/Denver, IPFW/UIPUI, WIU/Chicago St. It as least makes sense, while not my first choice I always error on the side of reason. Ideally. UNC/Denver, IPFW/UIPUI, USD/SDSU, UND/NDSU, WIU/Omaha (tough match up but both are most out of place)

North Side
05-02-2013, 07:34 PM
Why did the Summit not invite UND as a baseball member.... I don't get it.

YSU leaving the Valley would help the Summit league out. Opening a slot for UNC or UND to join the Summit/MVFC.

Chicago St. really needs to be looked at to add a member.

I will be honest, I never want to play SCSU or Mankato. It just makes me think how watered down D1 is getting.

ndsubison1
05-02-2013, 08:56 PM

made perfect sense to me :)

ndsubison1
05-02-2013, 09:00 PM

we dont want unc in the mvfc

56BISON73
05-02-2013, 09:49 PM

Many could say the same thing about your never ending Bullshit. Move over to lakes board---PLEASE

JSUBison
05-02-2013, 09:50 PM

Maybe the SL did and they said no.

BlueBisonRock
05-02-2013, 09:57 PM
Many could say the same thing about your never ending Bullshit. Move over to lakes board---PLEASE

I really don't understand the issue. I keep getting the same message from him.

Gabe Senior Member
This message is hidden because Gabe is on your ignore list.
View Post

SlickVic
05-02-2013, 10:12 PM
First all the und trolls now most of you fools want them in after everything youve seen is this bizarro world whereis antisuperman or costanzas lookalike

zooropa
05-02-2013, 10:14 PM
Citation needed..................

Okay, you have two possible scenarios, take your pick:

- Join a league with three regional rivals, sponsorship of every sport except hockey, significantly lower travel costs, and a conference basketball tournament that is unlikely to move from neighboring South Dakota.

- Be stupid and remain in a league with no regional rival (Montana? Please, it's 900 miles from Grand Forks), huge travel costs, and a conference basketball tournament that requires considerable travel unless you're the overall No. 1.

Yeah, either UND's administrators are stupid or they would prefer to be in the Summit/MVFC or Summit/Big Sky (FB).

I suppose you're right though. I should have provided a citation to demonstrate competence on the part of UND administrators, heck, it certainly can't be assumed that they're capable of making sound decisions.

HerdBot
05-02-2013, 10:25 PM
56BISON73
This message is hidden because 56BISON73 is on your ignore list.
View Post

I'm sure chubs had something nice to say

EndZoneQB
05-02-2013, 10:28 PM

I must have really pissed him off, he worked REALLY hard to neg rep me 3x in a row so I'm sure others got similar neg reps OR positive. Overall, he neg repped me 4x. He needs to take his xanax...

Then he has to flex his ePenis every time he ignores a post LOL if you really want to be effective at ignoring, don't chirp about...so dumb lol

HerdBot
05-02-2013, 10:30 PM

YSU leaving the Valley would help the Summit league out. Opening a slot for UNC or UND to join the Summit/MVFC.

Chicago St. really needs to be looked at to add a member.

I will be honest, I never want to play SCSU or Mankato. It just makes me think how watered down D1 is getting.

I suggested Chicago State a year ago (or longer) but apparently it was a prepoatous statement. I think Duluth would be a good fit too

NorthernBison
05-02-2013, 10:55 PM
Maybe the SL did and they said no.

Nope. Douple said the request was never acted on. With the Summit baseball AQ in serious jeopardy, that decision has to be viewed as a major snafu.

HerdBot
05-02-2013, 11:10 PM
Nope. Douple said the request was never acted on. With the Summit baseball AQ in serious jeopardy, that decision has to be viewed as a major snafu.

Not if we can still get them. Of course if he couldn't anticipate Oakland leaving he's an idiot and who knows if Chicago State can afford to leave their conference now

Answer Guy
05-03-2013, 01:29 AM

Just curious to see if I'm on your list.

EndZoneQB
05-03-2013, 01:56 AM
I must have really pissed him off, he worked REALLY hard to neg rep me 3x in a row so I'm sure others got similar neg reps OR positive. Overall, he neg repped me 4x. He needs to take his xanax...

Then he has to flex his ePenis every time he ignores a post LOL if you really want to be effective at ignoring, don't chirp about...so dumb lol

LOL, thanks again for another two neg reps gabe!

Honeybooboo
05-03-2013, 03:23 AM
LOL, thanks again for another two neg reps gabe!

DO NOT....have a different opinion than Gabe or SamsRams...you will feel the Internet wrath of negative rep and name calling....but of course I'm just a non contributor und fan....

EndZoneQB
05-03-2013, 03:52 AM
DO NOT....have a different opinion than Gabe or SamsRams...you will feel the Internet wrath of negative rep and name calling....but of course I'm just a non contributor und fan....

Especially SR...:)

Honeybooboo
05-03-2013, 03:54 AM
Especially SR...:)

your on ignore now:biggrin::rofl:

SlickVic
05-03-2013, 04:20 AM
samsrams I hit twitter search 5 times a sec for ndsu yet I steal websites from lakes that guy whack

TransAmBison
05-03-2013, 01:25 PM
I blame the lack of thread drift for this shitshow that has taken over how many threads.

I think it's time for a Bisonville softball game (sans SamsRams...he's too manly :D) and then a number of beers. I think a get together like that would be just what TheDoctor ordered.

ndsubison1
05-03-2013, 04:58 PM
I blame the lack of thread drift for this shitshow that has taken over how many threads.

I think it's time for a Bisonville softball game (sans SamsRams...he's too manly :D) and then a number of beers. I think a get together like that would be just what TheDoctor ordered.

im in. ten char

TransAmBison
05-03-2013, 05:00 PM
im in. ten charI knew you would be. Who else?

TAB
ndsubison1- the poster formerly known as ming.

BisonNation11
05-03-2013, 05:03 PM
I knew you would be. Who else?

TAB
ndsubison1- the poster formerly known as ming.

If you're bringing some of that special brew, I'm game.

dragonsfan
05-03-2013, 08:50 PM
any chance ndsu sdsu to horizon? youre already recruiting wisconsin/illinois

Western4Life
05-03-2013, 09:21 PM
Yes, there is a legit chance for the HL. Between hoops and having a stable home for football already the XDSU connection is popular there. Travel partners are a must in the HL or I feel WIU would have the edge based on geography and some old rivals. There is no good school option to combine with WIU to make a run at it in the HL though unless they want into Indy. A lot may depend on if IUPUI and IPFW can get approval singularly. Fort Wayne is not on anyone's radar.

It is a tough sell for us all between either market or geography. It will be interesting to see who is selected if the HL grabs another. It won't be Robert Morris, Belmont, or Murray State though. Lets be sane.

No_Skill
05-03-2013, 10:22 PM

I'm in if it's in Bismarck...

NDSUstudent
05-06-2013, 08:40 PM
It is happening...Oakland to the Horizon...

Oakland University’s athletic department is inviting media members to Tuesday afternoon’s meeting of the Board of Trustees, presumably to announce that the school is leaving the Summit League and joining the Horizon League.

http://www.freep.com/article/20130506/SPORTS08/305060097/oakland-horizon-league

BisonJD
05-07-2013, 08:30 PM
CBS Tweet on Oakland to Horizon "official":

https://twitter.com/jeffborzello/sta...67481520091136

EndZoneQB
05-07-2013, 08:35 PM
CBS Tweet on Oakland to Horizon "official":

https://twitter.com/jeffborzello/sta...67481520091136

You can't just copy a link from a forum lol

BisonJD
05-07-2013, 08:50 PM
You can't just copy a link from a forum lol

Try this then dbag:

www.google.com

BisonJD
05-07-2013, 08:53 PM
http://www.argusleader.com/article/20130507/SPORTS/130507019/Summit-League-loses-another-member-Oakland-University-joins-Horizon

It will be down to just seven tournament-eligible teams in basketball for 2013-14, meaning changes to the conference tourney hosted by Sioux Falls:
The No. 1 seeds in the men's and women's brackets will get first-round byes meaning there will be only two Saturday games instead of four, commissioner Tom Douple said.

EndZoneQB
05-07-2013, 09:20 PM
Try this then dbag:

www.google.com

Aww, bros MAD. I wasn't even a dick about it. The internet, serious business.

DIBISON
05-08-2013, 02:17 AM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/chi-horizon-league-oakland-20130507,0,165691.story

sambini
05-08-2013, 08:01 AM
Gonna miss Oakland..

HoopsBison
05-08-2013, 06:07 PM
Not going to lie, this one sucks..gonna miss Kampe and company.

zooropa
05-08-2013, 07:18 PM
Not going to lie, this one sucks..gonna miss Kampe and company.

https://twitter.com/stuwhitney/status/331862317564301312

WYOBISONMAN
05-09-2013, 12:23 PM
Ouch......a huge hit for the Summit.

DePereBisonFan
05-09-2013, 01:18 PM
https://twitter.com/stuwhitney/status/331862317564301312

Haha, that's a good one...

D_One_here_we_come
05-12-2013, 01:21 PM
This was an easy one for Oakland, raises their profile(see Valpo). The hurts the Summit and puts it on life support. Have to wonder how many Summit members are looking to jump ship to save own a$$. If the Wac were smart great time to swallow the Summit.