PDA

View Full Version : Young team

roadwarrior
04-25-2013, 07:11 PM
There are 16 players on the 2013 Bison softball roster. Nine of them are freshmen. None of them are redshirting, as they have all played in games this season.

Of the nine position players in the lineup yesterday, five of those were freshmen.

Pitcher Whitney Johnson is the only senior on the team.

Not too bad being undefeated in the conference with this young team!

BadlandsBison
04-25-2013, 07:36 PM
Thanks Road! The softball program brings a lot of optimism to NDSU and I hope it continues. With this many young players you can't help but feel good.

Hopefully the field is ready for the Summit tournament, definitely will be worth attending.

roadwarrior
04-28-2013, 08:02 PM
The Bison softball team has played 29 games since the beginning of March. The record over that period is 24-5. The losses came to Indiana State, #23 Georgia, Long Beach State, #12 UCLA, and #20 Nebraska. We also got wins over Georgia and Nebraska.

Hopefully the team gets to play on our home field next weekend for the first time this year. Friday and Saturday against USD is the end of the regular season.

Tatanka
04-29-2013, 12:34 AM
The Bison softball team has played 29 games since the beginning of March. The record over that period is 24-5. The losses came to Indiana State, #23 Georgia, Long Beach State, #12 UCLA, and #20 Nebraska. We also got wins over Georgia and Nebraska.

Hopefully the team gets to play on our home field next weekend for the first time this year. Friday and Saturday against USD is the end of the regular season.Would be nice to get a halfway decent crowd there--they deserve it. I'll make a point to take my daughter.

td577
04-29-2013, 01:39 AM
So who will be the coach in a couple of years for a deep playoff run?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Meatsaw
04-29-2013, 03:40 PM

Hopefully the one you have!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BisonTeacher
04-29-2013, 05:16 PM

Are you insinuating something or have some inside info about coach Mueller?

Elephants Dream?
04-29-2013, 06:36 PM
A bigger question might be: Who will be the pitcher to get there?
Whitney is done this year.

imabison
04-29-2013, 07:19 PM
A bigger question might be: Who will be the pitcher to get there?
Whitney is done this year.

Menke is doing very well as a back up. Hopefully the future is secure.

Bison"FANatic"
04-29-2013, 07:31 PM

Hopefully someone doesn't come and offer Mueller a small amount more and then we refuse to match it and he leaves but we pay the next coach more than Mueller would have stayed for. hmmmmmmmmmmm

Coach Mueller has done a tremendous job with such a young team.

BisonTeacher
04-29-2013, 07:33 PM
Hopefully someone doesn't come and offer Mueller a small amount more and then we refuse to match it and he leaves but we pay the next coach more than Mueller would have stayed for. hmmmmmmmmmmm

Coach Mueller has done a tremendous job with such a young team.

Agreed but I would amend to say with the other teams hes had here as well. He's a pretty nice guy too. Public speaker? not so much. But a hell of a softball coach.

td577
04-29-2013, 07:58 PM

Not at all. I am suggesting building a team with 1 senior and 2 juniors are and will have a lot of success over the next couple of years. If that happens, I would imagine his name would pop up for other positions with bigger schools. He has already had a tremendous amount of success with a very young team this year that is a couple of years away from beating more and higher ranked teams. Maybe his career becomes a lot like Tim Miles. Build a young team that can compete with the big schools and become an attractive commodity while the team is successful.

He has been looked at before by bigger schools, he will be looked at again.

Bison"FANatic"
04-29-2013, 08:12 PM
How high does the ladder go for college softball coaches salaries. It is one thing to leave because the steps are getting you to a 3/4 or million dollar contract, its a whole different ball game if the top rung of the ladder is $200,000.

imabison
04-29-2013, 09:17 PM
Not at all. I am suggesting building a team with 1 senior and 2 juniors are and will have a lot of success over the next couple of years. If that happens, I would imagine his name would pop up for other positions with bigger schools. He has already had a tremendous amount of success with a very young team this year that is a couple of years away from beating more and higher ranked teams. Maybe his career becomes a lot like Tim Miles. Build a young team that can compete with the big schools and become an attractive commodity while the team is successful.

He has been looked at before by bigger schools, he will be looked at again.

None of you seem to remember that within the last year or 2 he could have gone to coach at was it the Gopher or Badger job or both and chose to stay at NDSU.
Just perhaps you are not giving him the credit he deserves and may be happy with his position.

td577
04-29-2013, 10:03 PM
None of you seem to remember that within the last year or 2 he could have gone to coach at was it the Gopher or Badger job or both and chose to stay at NDSU.
Just perhaps you are not giving him the credit he deserves and may be happy with his position.

What credit is there to give? He didn't turn down interviews. We don't know if he turned down the jobs. What we do know is that he is coaching here. From my understanding, he is in a contract year so who knows what the next step is.

My whole point is that bigger schools called in the past and there is no reason they won't in the future. Of the many great seasons of Bison softball, the work done this year already has to rank up there with the amount of youth on the team.

I would not be shocked or surprised if other schools came calling now rather than later. I would also not be shocked or surprised if he stays for many more years.