PDA

View Full Version : Question for you all-----How good are we in comparison?

MAKBison
04-21-2013, 04:21 PM
I ran a bit if track in HS, but it was more to keep in shape for FB and Wrestling. SO I do not realy follow it all that much. However, from what I have noted over the last few years is that it seems we have a Gang Busters Track team. Can someone put how good we really are into perspective. Where do we rank with the elite schools (Stanford, Oregon etc). What steps do we need to take to be even better etc.

Just looking for a bit of an education----thanks

SamsRams
04-21-2013, 10:16 PM
I ran a bit if track in HS, but it was more to keep in shape for FB and Wrestling. SO I do not realy follow it all that much. However, from what I have noted over the last few years is that it seems we have a Gang Busters Track team. Can someone put how good we really are into perspective. Where do we rank with the elite schools (Stanford, Oregon etc). What steps do we need to take to be even better etc.

no comparison to the big boys and girls. its a lot like wrestling and other individual sports. prove you can produce all americans year in and year out and the product gets closer to national recognition.

MAKBison
04-21-2013, 11:30 PM
no comparison to the big boys and girls. its a lot like wrestling and other individual sports. prove you can produce all americans year in and year out and the product gets closer to national recognition.

Thanks Sams....How many all Americans do we usually produce? Are we mid pack, back of the pack. Do we have the right systems coaches in place, etc. Again, I understand I am naive....just looking to understand a bit more. It seems we have some Olympic and world class type competitors come through the program???

SamsRams
04-22-2013, 12:00 AM
per the media guide
Outdoor All-Americans
DIVISION I
2011*Whitney Carlson (1) Heptathlon 5th
Whitney Carlson (2) Long Jump 9th
Christine Schmaltz (2) 800 meters 9th
2010 Heather Zander Heptathlon 9th
Whitney Carlson Long Jump 11th
2009 Laura Hermanson 800 meters 2nd

Indoor All-Americans
DIVISION I
2011* Whitney Carlson (2) Long Jump 12th
Whitney Carlson (2) Pentathlon 16th
2009 Laura Hermanson 800 meters 7th

DIVISION I
2009 Matt Bishoff Heptathlon 11th

those are just the DI days obviously

MAKBison
04-22-2013, 12:11 AM
Thanks much

roadwarrior
04-22-2013, 01:07 AM
2013 - Andy Lillejord 7th in the indoor heptathlon

sambini
04-22-2013, 02:20 AM
per the media guide
Outdoor All-Americans
DIVISION I
2011*Whitney Carlson (1) Heptathlon 5th
Whitney Carlson (2) Long Jump 9th
Christine Schmaltz (2) 800 meters 9th
2010 Heather Zander Heptathlon 9th
Whitney Carlson Long Jump 11th
2009 Laura Hermanson 800 meters 2nd

Indoor All-Americans
DIVISION I
2011* Whitney Carlson (2) Long Jump 12th
Whitney Carlson (2) Pentathlon 16th
2009 Laura Hermanson 800 meters 7th

DIVISION I
2009 Matt Bishoff Heptathlon 11th

those are just the DI days obviouslySams Rams Leslie Brost was 4th in the pole vault at the 2012 NCAA Indoor.

SamsRams
04-22-2013, 03:39 AM
looks like i looked at the 11-12 media guide

Castor Troy
04-23-2013, 08:03 PM
I can put this in perspective in football terms. My guess is that the men's program only has 50% of the scholarship limit for DI track. The women might be fully funded by now. The limit is 12, same as DII. When I ran for Lars we had 5 scholarships and the women had 7. So we are basically Robert Morris as far as funding is concerned. For an upper-Midwestern team, we are very good. The men get the most out of the scholarships we have, I would say second to UW-Lacrosse. They can beat the Bison on any given year and they offer no scholarships.

Buffalo.Rider
05-03-2013, 05:25 AM
While NDSU is not one of the 'big boys' or 'big girls' in T&F, various Bison have had some darn good performances the last few years. The success and improvement on the women's side has been almost mind-boggling. I might add, that ND has produced some great track and field athletes over the last 20 years - as NDSU's program (and facilities) keep improving, it becomes more likely it will win more of those as well as great talent from the surrounding states.

MAKBison
05-05-2013, 01:32 AM
So we are very good considering the available scholarships. What does a full Scholarship team look like ----numbers, $$$ etc.

I can put this in perspective in football terms. My guess is that the men's program only has 50% of the scholarship limit for DI track. The women might be fully funded by now. The limit is 12, same as DII. When I ran for Lars we had 5 scholarships and the women had 7. So we are basically Robert Morris as far as funding is concerned. For an upper-Midwestern team, we are very good. The men get the most out of the scholarships we have, I would say second to UW-Lacrosse. They can beat the Bison on any given year and they offer no scholarships.

tony
05-06-2013, 09:20 PM
I moved the posts about adding women's sports to: http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?30294-Adding-women-s-sports

Castor Troy
05-08-2013, 06:46 PM
So we are very good considering the available scholarships. What does a full Scholarship team look like ----numbers, $$$ etc.

I spoke with someone about the current scholarship situation and I stand corrected. The women are fully-funded at 18 scholarships and the men are also fully-funded at 12.6 scholarships.

So what really separates LSU, Florida, Tennessee, and the Texas school from us is the weather. Proximity of all of the talented athletes is also a huge factor as well.

westnodak93bison
05-10-2013, 03:11 AM
I spoke with someone about the current scholarship situation and I stand corrected. The women are fully-funded at 18 scholarships and the men are also fully-funded at 12.6 scholarships.

So what really separates LSU, Florida, Tennessee, and the Texas school from us is the weather. Proximity of all of the talented athletes is also a huge factor as well.

Also, more of a track & field culture down south.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

tony
05-10-2013, 01:39 PM
Also, more of a track & field culture down south.

Well, I'd argue that on a per capita basis, HS track is actually pretty big in North Dakota. Way bigger than, for example, hockey.

Edit: Got curious about this so I looked to see if there is any data. Here's what I found

HS Sports Participation In North Dakota (boys and girls combined)
Basketball: 5540
football: 4073
Track & Field: 3935
Volleyball: 3249
Golf: 1547
Baseball: 1256
Soccer: 1116
XCountry: 1047
Wrestling: 1005
Hockey: 856
Tennis: 745
Swimming: 581
Softball: 503
Gymnastics: 75

It helps that ND hasn't embraced the Minnesota model of huge HS campuses where only a tiny fraction of the student bodies can compete in sports.

Castor Troy
05-14-2013, 02:47 PM
I took the liberty to insert the NDSU marks in with the Big 10 marks. This is not the most accurate way to figure out how well we would fare, but it gives you an idea anyway. The women would have scored 44 points and have taken 8th place behind Minnesota. Here is how they would have scored:

7th- 100- Goodman
4th- 200- Goodman
4th- 400- Tinglestad
6th- 400- Stratioti
7th- 400- Page
8th- 800- Stratioti
2nd- 4x1- John, Page, Tinglestad, Goodman
6th- 4x4- Kitching, Tinglestad, Stratioti, Page
2nd- PV- Brost
5th- LJ- Goodman
7th- DT- Lesser
5th- JT- Rosenau
8th- JT- Riopelle

The men would have scored 19 points and taken last by double-digit points:

6th- 110H- Tetzlaff
5th- 400H- Begin
7th- 400H- Tetzlaff
8th- 4x4- Begin, Espeland, Seiler, Neumiller
3rd- HT- Orgon
7th- JT- Baumann
8th- JT- Coykendall

I thought it was interesting that Brecca Wahlund and Travis Fitzke would not have placed even with their standout performances. I also think its cool that our female sprinters would have held their own.

By the way, we are pretty much even when it comes to scholarships for men and women and the Big 10 schools.

tony
05-14-2013, 03:24 PM
I took the liberty to insert the NDSU marks in with the Big 10 marks. This is not the most accurate way to figure out how well we would fare, but it gives you an idea anyway. The women would have scored 44 points and have taken 8th place behind Minnesota. Here is how they would have scored:

Thanks for the work!

Buffalo.Rider
05-16-2013, 03:47 PM

I thought it was interesting that Brecca Wahlund and Travis Fitzke would not have placed even with their standout performances. I also think its cool that our female sprinters would have held their own.

By the way, we are pretty much even when it comes to scholarships for men and women and the Big 10 schools.

I suspect that Travis and some of the others would have done better with stiffer competition. Travis won both the 1500 and the 800 - the 1500 time was rather slow, the 800 was a decent time, but not great. The weather in Muncie for the Summit Championships was not ideal either ... not warm enough for top performances (especially for the running events).

tony
05-16-2013, 04:36 PM
I suspect that Travis and some of the others would have done better with stiffer competition. Travis won both the 1500 and the 800 - the 1500 time was rather slow, the 800 was a decent time, but not great. The weather in Muncie for the Summit Championships was not ideal either ... not warm enough for top performances (especially for the running events).

I was thinking along the same lines. I mean, Brecca Wahlund won her race by just about a full minute so she had pretty much lapped the whole field.

Conference championships come a bit early in the spring for northern teams like NDSU and Minnesota.

Buffalo.Rider
05-22-2013, 01:06 PM
How good is NDSU Track and Field?

Well ... a pretty good contengent of both men and women going this year, even though the weather in Fargo was horrible this spring for track and field ... never had good track and field weather in Fargo for the entire outdoor season.

Congratulations to the athletes and the coaching staff. Go get 'em. Be defiant. I hope you all get PRs.

Castor Troy
05-22-2013, 06:25 PM
How good is NDSU Track and Field?

Well ... a pretty good contengent of both men and women going this year, even though the weather in Fargo was horrible this spring for track and field ... never had good track and field weather in Fargo for the entire outdoor season.

Congratulations to the athletes and the coaching staff. Go get 'em. Be defiant. I hope you all get PRs.

As you stated last year at this time, the teams did not fair well in the regional competition. I am hoping that the weather delay will allow us to peak a little later and get some folks into nationals. Casey has the best chance for the men and I think that the 4x1, Antoinette in the 200, Deborah in the hurdles, and Leslie in the PV will make it for the women.

Buffalo.Rider
05-24-2013, 06:07 AM
OK ... I am not happy, maybe even a bit upset (or mad). Second year in a row the middle distance folks did not perform at their best in the most important meet when they should be peaking ... suggesting they were not properly prepared mentally for their races. I am thinking of Stratioti and Fitzke. I know I sound like I am pointing at the coaches, and maybe I am a bit, but it bothers me (especially for Travis) that he ends his NDSU career without his best performance. It will bother him for a long time. It bothers me now.

If I were the coach ... I would tell them to aim for the best time they could in the prelims ... do not play a tactical game. Getting that fast time in the prelims is an important 'confidence' step to propel them in the next round. I don't know what their approach was to the race, but if it was to conserve energy in case they get into the next round ... I would say to that ... wrong, wrong approach. One can recover from an 800 and a 1500 in a day, so go all out. Getting a good time (preferably a PR) and the confidence that comes with it, will trump saving a little bit of energy. The good time (or PR) will also get the adrenaline flowing. Then with a little defiance and determination to 'show them' just might get someone into the final. Instead the slower time not only gets the bile flowing (instead of adrenaline), it leaves a bad taste in the mouth. Fortunately for Stratioti, she gets to try again next year. I feel bad for Travis ... I really think he is capable of running near 3:40 since he has run 3:46 several times now, mostly early in the season before one peaks.

Arggh ! Guess I need to go to bed with a sad heart.

Buffalo.Rider
05-28-2013, 02:21 AM
As you stated last year at this time, the teams did not fair well in the regional competition. I am hoping that the weather delay will allow us to peak a little later and get some folks into nationals. Casey has the best chance for the men and I think that the 4x1, Antoinette in the 200, Deborah in the hurdles, and Leslie in the PV will make it for the women.

p.s. nice of you to remember. wow, that was year ago.

Buffalo.Rider
05-28-2013, 02:26 AM
Congratulations to Leslie Brost and Casey Orgon in making it to the NCAA championships. Very good writeups on gobison.com for both of them. The pole vault for Brost ... what a nightmare. Glad she got through, and nice to see her positive outlook for the Eugene meet (NCAA championship).

Good luck to both .. Once again I hope everything lines up for them, no wierd things (like food poisoning, interrupted travel plans, etc.) and they both go in determined, defiant, and optimistic about what they can do.