PDA

View Full Version : NDSU at IPFW

tony
04-19-2013, 08:43 PM
https://twitter.com/IPFWAthletics/status/325338730909007873

(https://twitter.com/IPFWAthletics/status/325338730909007873)
NDSU pitcher Whitney Johnson with 10 strikeouts through three innings, Kramer with six for #IPFWsb after three full innings

That made me do a double-take, but obviously a lot of Ks in this game. NDSU up 3-1 going into the sixth, btw.

ndsubison1
04-19-2013, 08:50 PM
johnson with 15 k's through 5.2 IP

aces1180
04-19-2013, 08:52 PM

That made me do a double-take, but obviously a lot of Ks in this game. NDSU up 3-1 going into the sixth, btw.

That's awesome...I love when pitchers get more than 3 Ks in an inning (I doubt the catcher does, however).

ndsubison1
04-19-2013, 08:57 PM
That's awesome...I love when pitchers get more than 3 Ks in an inning (I doubt the catcher does, however).

i remember a minnesota hs pitcher throwing 5 in an inning last year

roadwarrior
04-19-2013, 09:18 PM
NDSU wins the first game 3-1

NDSUstudent
04-19-2013, 11:57 PM
The Bison win game 2.....

College SB: G2 Final #NDSUBison 4, IPFW 1. Whitney Johnson (16-6). Alyssa Reina 2x4 3 RBI with GW 2-run HR (4). Bison 21-13, 8-0 SL

https://twitter.com/NDSUAthletics/status/325397210504241154

BisonTeacher
04-20-2013, 01:16 AM

Musta been error on catcher. K, E-2

aces1180
04-20-2013, 01:20 AM
Musta been error on catcher. K, E-2

That is incorrect...The act of pitching and catching can not result in an error...It would either be a K/WP or K/PB.

BisonTeacher
04-20-2013, 01:22 AM
That is incorrect...The act of pitching and catching can not result in an error...It would either be a K/WP or K/PB.

Ummm....you are incorrect. A PB goes as an error on the catcher. Trust me.

Edit...its an error on the catcher if the pb results in the batter-runner reaching first on a dropped third strike which is what i was referring to. I have no idea what actually happened. Just reading about it.

aces1180
04-20-2013, 01:31 AM
Ummm....you are incorrect. A PB goes as an error on the catcher. Trust me.

Edit...its an error on the catcher if the pb results in the batter-runner reaching first on a dropped third strike which is what i was referring to. I have no idea what actually happened. Just reading about it.
Check this out...

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/official_info/official_rules/official_scorer_10.jsp

10.13 Wild Pitches And Passed Balls
A wild pitch is defined in Rule 2.00 (Wild Pitch). A passed ball is a statistic charged against a catcher whose action has caused a runner or runners to advance, as set forth in this Rule 10.13.
(a) The official scorer shall charge a pitcher with a wild pitch when a legally delivered ball is so high, so wide or so low that the catcher does not stop and control the ball by ordinary effort, thereby permitting a runner or runners to advance. The official scorer shall charge a pitcher with a wild pitch when a legally delivered ball touches the ground or home plate before reaching the catcher and is not handled by the catcher, thereby permitting a runner or runners to advance. When the third strike is a wild pitch, permitting the batter to reach first base, the official scorer shall score a strikeout and a wild pitch.
(b) The official scorer shall charge a catcher with a passed ball when the catcher fails to hold or to control a legally pitched ball that should have been held or controlled with ordinary effort, thereby permitting a runner or runners to advance. When the third strike is a passed ball, permitting the batter to reach first base, the official scorer shall score a strikeout and a passed ball.
Rule 10.13 Comment: The official scorer shall not charge a wild pitch or passed ball if the defensive team makes an out before any runners advance. For example, if a pitch touches the ground and eludes the catcher with a runner on first base, but the catcher recovers the ball and throws to second base in time to retire the runner, the official scorer shall not charge the pitcher with a wild pitch. The official scorer shall credit the advancement of any other runner on the play as a fielder’s choice. If a catcher drops a pitch, for example, with a runner on first base, but the catcher recovers the ball and throws to second base in time to retire the runner, the official scorer shall not charge the catcher with a passed ball. The official scorer shall credit the advancement of any other runner on the play as a fielder’s choice. See Rules 10.07(a), 10.12(e) and 10.12(f) for additional scoring rules relating to wild pitches and passed balls.

Also look at 10.12(d)(5)...

Rule 10.12(d) Comment: When a fielder muffs a thrown ball that, if held, would have completed a double play or triple play, the official scorer shall charge an error to the fielder who drops the ball and credit an assist to the fielder who made the throw.
(4) any fielder when, after fumbling a ground ball or dropping a batted ball that is in flight or a thrown ball, the fielder recovers the ball in time to force out a runner at any base; or
(5) any fielder when a wild pitch or passed ball is scored.
(e) The official scorer shall not charge an error when the batter is awarded first base on four called balls, when the batter is awarded first base when touched by a pitched ball, or when the batter reaches first base as the result of a wild pitch or passed ball.

BisonTeacher
04-20-2013, 01:34 AM
Exactly...now look up the players fielding record and you will see pbs that result in a runner advancing go as an error on the catcher.

aces1180
04-20-2013, 01:37 AM
Exactly...now look up the players fielding record and you will see pbs that result in a runner advancing go as an error on the catcher.

Do you have an example?

The MLB rule says an error will not be charged on a PB and the player reaches 1st on a strikeout...Not sure what your source is?

BisonTeacher
04-20-2013, 01:40 AM
Do you have an example?

The MLB rule says an error will not be charged on a PB and the player reaches 1st on a strikeout...Not sure what your source is?

My experience is high school softball rules which usually arent much diffferent from college other than pitching rules. What did the boxscore say?

aces1180
04-20-2013, 01:42 AM
My experience is high school softball rules which usually arent much diffferent from college other than pitching rules. What did the boxscore say?

Here's the PXP from that inning..

IPFW 3rd - Kayti Hanson struck out swinging (3-2 BKSBBS). Larissa Franreached on a fielding error by 3b (0-0). Larissa Fran advanced to second on awild pitch. Brittany Kac struck out swinging, out at first c to 1b (2-2 SBBSS).Ashleigh Bou walked (3-1 BBKBB). Dani Pugh walked (3-1 BBBKB); Ashleigh Bouadvanced to second; Larissa Fran advanced to third. Alex Bousque struck outswinging, reached first on a wild pitch (3-2 SSBBBS); Dani Pugh advanced tosecond; Ashleigh Bou advanced to third; Larissa Fran scored, unearned. HillaryKart struck out swinging (1-2 KBSFS). 1 run, 0 hits, 1 error, 3 LOB.In this game, it was a WP...

BisonTeacher
04-20-2013, 01:44 AM
Here's the PXP from that inning..

IPFW 3rd - Kayti Hanson struck out swinging (3-2 BKSBBS). Larissa Franreached on a fielding error by 3b (0-0). Larissa Fran advanced to second on awild pitch. Brittany Kac struck out swinging, out at first c to 1b (2-2 SBBSS).Ashleigh Bou walked (3-1 BBKBB). Dani Pugh walked (3-1 BBBKB); Ashleigh Bouadvanced to second; Larissa Fran advanced to third. Alex Bousque struck outswinging, reached first on a wild pitch (3-2 SSBBBS); Dani Pugh advanced tosecond; Ashleigh Bou advanced to third; Larissa Fran scored, unearned. HillaryKart struck out swinging (1-2 KBSFS). 1 run, 0 hits, 1 error, 3 LOB.In this game, it was a WP...

So they ruled it a wp instead of a pb. Musta been something up or out.

aces1180
04-20-2013, 01:45 AM
Here is the official NCAA softball rulebook:

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/Stats_Manuals/Softball/softball easy print stats manual.pdf

SECTION 22—NO ERROR IS CHARGED
No error is charged to a fielder in the following situations:
14.22.1 When a ball is misplayed because of being lost in the
sun or lights, blown by the wind, or if the fielder slips and falls
— even if contact is made with the ball.
14.22.2 When there is a mental mistake. Throwing to the
wrong base is considered a mental mistake.
14.22.3 When a catcher attempts a pick-off, unless the runner
advances an additional base.
14.22.4 When a runner returns safely to her original base on
a rundown.
14.22.5 When a runner beats a wild throw or dropped catch
(unless an additional base is gained or a good throw would not
have led to a different result). This also pertains to the second or
third out of a double or triple play.
Note: A dropped ball by the receiver is an error if the runner
would have been out.
14.22.6 When a ball is hit with such force, so slowly or with
erratic spin, that it would require more than ordinary effort to
play the ball.
14.22.7 When a fly ball is misjudged and the fielder cannot
recover in time to make the play.
14.22.8 When a fielder drops a ball after running a considerable
distance or if she fails in her attempt to catch the ball while
running at a high rate of speed.
14.22.9 When a fielder drops a line drive after moving more
than a few steps to catch the ball.
14.22.10 As a result of an illegal pitch, wild pitch, passed ball
or hit batter, even if more than one base is gained from the initial
misplay.
14.22.11 When a runner advances on a dropped third strike.
In such a case, a wild pitch or passed ball shall be charged; however,
if an accurate throw or proper catch would have resulted
in an out, an error shall be charged to the appropriate player.
14.22.12 When a pitcher mishandles a sharply batted ball.
Wild throws and the mishandling of routine ground balls and
bunts are reason for charging the pitcher with an error.
14.22.13 When a wild throw is made in an effort to prevent a
runner from stealing, no error is charged even if a good throw
would have resulted in a putout, unless the runner advances at
least one additional base.
14.22.14 When a fielder intentionally does not catch a foul fly
ball to prevent a runner from advancing.
14.22.15 When the official scorer charges the pitcher with a
wild pitch or the catcher with a passed ball.
14.22.16 When a batter advances on a dropped third strike
that is also a wild pitch or passed ball. In this case, the batter is
charged with a strikeout and the pitcher or catcher with a wild
pitch or passed ball, respectively.

I also worked in NDSU Sports Information, sometimes acting as an official scorer for softball games. ;)

BisonTeacher
04-20-2013, 01:48 AM
Must be different in hs. I dont have my rule book in front of me but i will look it up tomorrow and post.

Edit...looks like 14.22.11 is where the issue lies. Either wsy this was charged as a wp so its not charged to catcher at all.

And per post#8 an e can be assessed....

BisonTeacher
04-20-2013, 12:29 PM
I looked in my car for my rulebook but its not there. This is my first year not coaching so IM guessing I cleaned it all out and brought it to school. I did find an old version of the nfhs rulebook online that says its a passed ball but not whether a passed ball is an error or not. Im guessing the difference is (especially in college and the skill level) the catchers very rarely drop an easy ball and therefore its usually ruled a wild pitch, or the catcher will get the putout/assist at first. Whereas in high school there are a lot of dropped balls and especially when they should be able to get the putout at first and they don't that's when the error is charged. See below. So a PB is not always an error like you said. I was wrong about that part.

"however,if an accurate throw or proper catch would have resulted
in an out, an error shall be charged to the appropriate player."

roadwarrior
04-20-2013, 06:57 PM
NDSU completes the sweep with a win today 8-4.

NDSU is now 9-0 in the Summit League

NDSUstudent
04-20-2013, 07:13 PM
Summit League Standings...

NDSU 9-0
Omaha 10-1
IPFW 7-3
USD 8-5
UMKC 3-3
IUPUI 7-11
SDSU 4-8
WIU 4-12
Oakland 1-10

It is crazy that UMKC has only played 6 league games while IUPUI has played 18.

aces1180
04-20-2013, 07:24 PM
Summit League Standings...

NDSU 9-0
Omaha 10-1
IPFW 7-3
USD 8-5
UMKC 3-3
IUPUI 7-11
SDSU 4-8
WIU 4-12
Oakland 1-10

It is crazy that UMKC has only played 6 league games while IUPUI has played 18.

For not being eligible for postseason play, Omaha has pretty darn good baseball and softball squads.

NDSUstudent
04-20-2013, 07:32 PM
For not being eligible for postseason play, Omaha has pretty darn good baseball and softball squads.

Yeah UNO has been a good addition to the league, they've been solid in a number of sports. I think their softball team has an RPI of 58.