PDA

View Full Version : Raising the Bar Again

CaBisonFan
04-06-2013, 09:20 PM
Back in 2006 I remember the discussions about playing Minnesota. If my memory serves me correctly, Gene Taylor signed on to play the game a year or two earlier than he wanted to...thinking that the program wasn't quite ready.

As for myself, I honestly hoped for a decent game...with a one or two touchdown loss being acceptable. I thought that the level of play in Minnesota's world was that much higher. I was shocked to find that our athletes weren't intimidated at all.

So now...Gene Taylor and Coach Bohl are raising the bar again with a game against Kansas State. It's true that they graduated a lot of players from last year's highly-rated team. But I doubt that the cupboard is really that empty. Their coach builds programs.

It's the highest bar in the history of Bison Football. The only thing that rivals it is the game against Grambling back in the 60s. That was when Grambling had something like 14 starters who went on to play in the NFL.

This is another 'caliber of play' game. I'll be hoping for a good game. A good game, with a loss, will do nothing to tarnish what the Bison have been accomplishing. I'm confident that we'll play very well.

PS - I'm asking all BV members to be classy over on the Kansas State forum. Same applies to other teams' forums.

BisonNeil
04-06-2013, 10:35 PM
Back in 2006 I remember the discussions about playing Minnesota. If my memory serves me correctly, Gene Taylor signed on to play the game a year or two earlier than he wanted to...thinking that the program wasn't quite ready.

Your memory is mostly correct.

The 2007 game was already scheduled when early in 2006 MN had a hiccup in their 2006 schedule from either the MAC arrangement or someone pulling out (ala Montana State kitties did to NDSU). I remember Gene saying on air that he was approached by Maturi about coming two years in a row and Gene talking to Bohl about it. Bohl's comment was that he felt the team was a year away from being ready to play someone like MN but gave Taylor the green light to schedule the game anyway. So, it was Taylor quoting Bohl in saying the team wasn't quite ready.

HerdBot
04-07-2013, 01:51 AM

As for myself, I honestly hoped for a decent game...with a one or two touchdown loss being acceptable. I thought that the level of play in Minnesota's world was that much higher. I was shocked to find that our athletes weren't intimidated at all.

So now...Gene Taylor and Coach Bohl are raising the bar again with a game against Kansas State. It's true that they graduated a lot of players from last year's highly-rated team. But I doubt that the cupboard is really that empty. Their coach builds programs.

It's the highest bar in the history of Bison Football. The only thing that rivals it is the game against Grambling back in the 60s. That was when Grambling had something like 14 starters who went on to play in the NFL.

This is another 'caliber of play' game. I'll be hoping for a good game. A good game, with a loss, will do nothing to tarnish what the Bison have been accomplishing. I'm confident that we'll play very well.

PS - I'm asking all BV members to be classy over on the Kansas State forum. Same applies to other teams' forums.

Great post CA!

I had no idea what to expect in 2006 as we had no point of reference. 2007 we expected to win. 2011 we knew we were going to win. Heck USD beat them the prior year and we whooped USD by 3 TDs!

I think the team is ready for Kansas State. Scratch that, I KNOW the team is ready for this. As crazy as it sounds, I am actually CONFIDENT were going to win a close game or worst case, lose a 1 score game.

We have the size, speed, discipline, and overall talent to do it. Our coaching staff is incredible. Our defense isn't only the best in the FCS, its one of the best in the nation.

The effects of beating KSU will be dramatic. This wont be an easy blowout win over the Gophers or Colorado State. This is against a big dog. The nation will be shocked . KSU fans will call for the coaches head. The rest of the nation will know what we already know. Bison Football is already FBS ready. It will prep us to three peat and become only the 2nd D1 team in history to do so. It may even change the perception of NDSU and some day we may even find a conference because of it. This will be seen by many

Kansas State U
04-07-2013, 02:35 AM
Great post CA!

I had no idea what to expect in 2006 as we had no point of reference. 2007 we expected to win. 2011 we knew we were going to win. Heck USD beat them the prior year and we whooped USD by 3 TDs!

I think the team is ready for Kansas State. Scratch that, I KNOW the team is ready for this. As crazy as it sounds, I am actually CONFIDENT were going to win a close game or worst case, lose a 1 score game.

We have the size, speed, discipline, and overall talent to do it. Our coaching staff is incredible. Our defense isn't only the best in the FCS, its one of the best in the nation.

The effects of beating KSU will be dramatic. This wont be an easy blowout win over the Gophers or Colorado State. This is against a big dog. The nation will be shocked . KSU fans will call for the coaches head. The rest of the nation will know what we already know. Bison Football is already FBS ready. It will prep us to three peat and become only the 2nd D1 team in history to do so. It may even change the perception of NDSU and some day we may even find a conference because of it. This will be seen by many

Whereas all fans would be surprised/disappointed by a loss, calling for the head of a hall of fame coach would never happen.

HerdBot
04-07-2013, 02:42 AM
Whereas all fans would be surprised/disappointed by a loss, calling for the head of a hall of fame coach would never happen.

Yeah I know. Your coach is awesome and only a moron would suggest that. Seems like every time we win, fans call it their worst team of all time. If your the Minnesota Gophers, your worst team ever was 2006, 2007, 2010, and 2011. And all 3 coaches were suddenly on the fire list. Even Glenn Mason who brought them to Bowl games for ages. Then you had Central Michigan who apparently was so terrible after losing 44-17.. coach sucked and then they went on to win their conference and almost beat a Big 10 team in a Bowl Game.

GOBISON123
04-07-2013, 03:35 AM
We all pledge our allegiance to the Bison Nation.

Win or Loose we stand by our Bison players.

BadlandsBison
04-07-2013, 03:48 AM

Your coach is a rock solid football foundation. In a perhaps more "basketball state" he wreaks havock on the bigXII.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

perthbison
04-07-2013, 04:00 AM
We all pledge our allegiance to the Bison Nation.

Win or Loose we stand by our Bison players.Yeah, lets leave it at that. I just want to see the game play out.

ndsubison1
04-07-2013, 08:11 AM
Bison will win. Mark it. I love that this is the first game of the season. We are a seasoned team. They are replacing like half their starters and a Heisman candidate

KSBisonFan
04-07-2013, 02:23 PM

And we have another nominee for the Preposterous Statements thread. In fact, this should get a bye right to the championship round. :facepalm:

HerdBot
04-07-2013, 04:51 PM
And we have another nominee for the Preposterous Statements thread. In fact, this should get a bye right to the championship round. :facepalm:

Preposterous for the teams we beat maybe. Remember every FBS team we beat is their worst in history and their coach gets fired. I am shocked Kill survived the loss. When do we play them again? That's right we don't.

sambini
04-07-2013, 05:23 PM
K State is not Minnesota or Colorado State... These guys are very good and they will reload with talent. I agree with CA BISON Respect these guys. Bill Snyder is a Hall of Fame coach who gets it done at a tough place. He has proved it.

unbison
04-07-2013, 05:30 PM
Yeah I know. Your coach is awesome and only a moron would suggest that. Seems like every time we win, fans call it their worst team of all time. If your the Minnesota Gophers, your worst team ever was 2006, 2007, 2010, and 2011. And all 3 coaches were suddenly on the fire list. Even Glenn Mason who brought them to Bowl games for ages. Then you had Central Michigan who apparently was so terrible after losing 44-17.. coach sucked and then they went on to win their conference and almost beat a Big 10 team in a Bowl Game.
this is a lot of expectations for a single out of conference game

KSBisonFan
04-07-2013, 10:58 PM
Preposterous for the teams we beat maybe. Remember every FBS team we beat is their worst in history and their coach gets fired. I am shocked Kill survived the loss. When do we play them again? That's right we don't.

You obviously have no clue about Snyder's legend in Manhattan and the difference in their program compared to the others we've played, but whatever. Carry on.

reformedUNDfan
04-08-2013, 12:16 AM

bill snyder is a contender for greatest coach in any sport ever. He is kstate football. If kill can survive without much of a hiccup, snyder has nothing to worry about.

KC Bison
04-08-2013, 01:30 AM
Snyder brought this program from the absolute bottom of the heap in college football. He could go 0-12 for a couple years and they would still love him. He has several get-out-of-jail cards that he has never cashed in.

HerdBot
04-08-2013, 03:58 AM
You obviously have no clue about Snyder's legend in Manhattan and the difference in their program compared to the others we've played, but whatever. Carry on.

Either way my point was fans will blame someone and give us no credit. If not a head coach, a coordinator.

We won't win because we earned it

missingnumber7
04-08-2013, 01:00 PM
Either way my point was fans will blame someone and give us no credit. If not a head coach, a coordinator.

We won't win because we earned itThats what happens when you play programs with fans with no clue, aka Goofers. Everyone I talked to after CSU game didn't say anything against the Rams, it was all about how the Bison showed up and put it to them. We win and I strongly suggest it will much the same. About the players on the field doing what they needed to do to win the game. If you are looking to another team for credit for winning a game you are looking in the wrong place.

HerdBot
04-08-2013, 01:31 PM
Thats what happens when you play programs with fans with no clue, aka Goofers. Everyone I talked to after CSU game didn't say anything against the Rams, it was all about how the Bison showed up and put it to them. We win and I strongly suggest it will much the same. About the players on the field doing what they needed to do to win the game. If you are looking to another team for credit for winning a game you are looking in the wrong place.

Thats good. We're making progress. Ksu fans strike me as sharp

My original statement was more of a generalization of what happens when we show up for the games.

silkamilkamonico
04-08-2013, 02:07 PM

We won't win because we earned it

With regards to your comment, I know plentry of CSU fans that were utterly impressed with NDSU. They went on to have a terrible season that soured but none of them took any credit away from NDSU. Most all of them were wondering why we were still FCS and I had to try and explain to them that it we weren't all about football at our university where it was going to dictate where we would end up.

silkamilkamonico
04-08-2013, 02:15 PM
KSU is a class program.

This isn't Minnesota, or Kansas (which is delusional about their football proigram simply because of their basketball program, much like NDSU hoops), or Colorado State, os some bullshit MAC team. KSU will recognize a great team (especially FCS) when they see one.

One of the reasons why I have been sick we haven't played a great program yet. Alot of great FBS programs would have been very impressed with us, yet we have had to fiddle with these fanbases that for the most part don't recognized good football because they never see it.

westnodak93bison
04-08-2013, 02:24 PM
KSU is a class program.

This isn't Minnesota, or Kansas (which is delusional about their football proigram simply because of their basketball program, much like NDSU hoops), or Colorado State, os some bullshit MAC team. KSU will recognize a great team (especially FCS) when they see one.

One of the reasons why I have been sick we haven't played a great program yet. Alot of great FBS programs would have been very impressed with us, yet we have had to fiddle with these fanbases that for the most part don't recognized good football because they never see it.

We played Kansas two years after an 11-1 season and win at the Orange Bowl.

silkamilkamonico
04-08-2013, 02:29 PM
We played Kansas two years after an 11-1 season and win at the Orange Bowl.

Yea, they won the Orange Bowl and all of a suddenly they think they're Ala -fn-Bama.

Their football program takes a backseat to their basketball program, it always has, and it always will.

ndsubison1
04-08-2013, 05:02 PM
no doubt KSU is a different animal than playing the likes of MAC teams, Kansas, Minnesota, but I have no doubt that this team will be ready and will make it a game

Hammerhead
04-08-2013, 07:10 PM
This should be the best FCS-FBS matchup since App. State beat Michigan in 2007. While it may have been a down year for Michigan, the Wolverine still finished 9-4 with a bowl win.

CaBisonFan
04-08-2013, 07:44 PM
...and...as much fun as it is to anticipate this game...we have two much bigger games against SDSU and UNI early in the season.

I agree that the game against KSU gives the program the kind of exposure that it deserves. We're better than a lot of FBS programs.

UncleBuck
04-09-2013, 10:42 PM
The in-laws that are stationed at Fort Riley are already telling me that the little ol' school NDSU will get their asses kicked by the BIG TWELVE school.

td577
04-10-2013, 12:57 AM
Even though we beat the gophers the last two times, they still played out like a fbs vs fcs should. Our guys were sucking wind in the fourth quarter because even the goofers threw their depth at us. The gophers just couldn't close.

Iowa state was a game where their depth pulled away in the second half. They could close.

Kansas didn't know how to use their depth as an advantage. They couldn't open, let alone close.

Csu was just seriously outplayed for four quarters and nothing they could do was right after their opening score.

Ksu will use their depth and can close. I really feel the key to winning that game will be a double digit lead going into the fourth quarter and getting enough done to run the clock down. While Ndsu will rotate two deep at a lot of positions, ksu will rotate three deep with very little drop off. If we can keep our defense off the field, there is a good chance. A couple of defensive three and outs and any sustained drives on offense, we have a serious shot. Lets just fast forward to late summer already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gully
04-10-2013, 01:28 AM
Even though we beat the gophers the last two times, they still played out like a fbs vs fcs should. Our guys were sucking wind in the fourth quarter because even the goofers threw their depth at us. The gophers just couldn't close.

Iowa state was a game where their depth pulled away in the second half. They could close.

Kansas didn't know how to use their depth as an advantage. They couldn't open, let alone close.

Csu was just seriously outplayed for four quarters and nothing they could do was right after their opening score.

Ksu will use their depth and can close. I really feel the key to winning that game will be a double digit lead going into the fourth quarter and getting enough done to run the clock down. While Ndsu will rotate two deep at a lot of positions, ksu will rotate three deep with very little drop off. If we can keep our defense off the field, there is a good chance. A couple of defensive three and outs and any sustained drives on offense, we have a serious shot. Lets just fast forward to late summer already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can buy most of those arguments but not the Iowa State game. We didn't wear down as much as we sucked that year. We would have beat them with our last two teams or the first two teams that played the gophers.

tolnabison
04-10-2013, 02:27 AM
Kansas State is the best overall program we have played since we went FCS. They were Big 12 champs last year. They return 8 starters on offense and 3 starters on defense. Now that said, they do rotate a lot of players in off their depth chart and signed 6 JUCO prospects that will be expected to fill some shoes. They signed #1 ranked JUCO QB Jake Waters to battle with Sophomore Daniel Sams. They return their whole offensive line, two wide outs who had more than 500+ yards, and their RB in Hubert who had 900+ yards last year. Their defense will be led by Free Safety Ty Zimmerman, a returning All-American. Their secondary will be their strength, as they lost almost everything in their front 7.

Overall, if we play mistake free football I think we have a chance. Bill Snyder has a program heading in the right direct from when Ron Prince had it. He is known for signing JUCO's prospects as quick fixes. I think that losing Colin Klein who accounted for 39 TD's last year and was a Heisman Candidate back-to-back years will hurt them more than they feel. Also they lost Arthur Brown, who was their All-American MLB.

Side Note: In 2011, we stayed at the Marriott in Madisson, when we played down in Frisco. We were talking to some Kansas State fans (who were down for the Cotton Bowl vs. Arkansas). They knew a little about our program, and we have stayed in contact with them ever since that night. They will text us on any big wins we have and we have done the same. They have given us a few pointers on where to tailgate, bars to hit, and where to stay when we head down there in August. Two years ago they sounded very confident and said that Bill Snyder was very conservative early in the year with his play calling. So then they said they wouldn't be surprised if the score is closer than its supposed to be. But after we won our 2nd straight National Title, his text was a little different tone. He said he was worried with how much they lost and after watching us play in the championship game that he knew its going to be a tough game for them.

CaBisonFan
04-10-2013, 03:19 AM
Kansas State is the best overall program we have played since we went FCS. They were Big 12 champs last year. They return 8 starters on offense and 3 starters on defense. Now that said, they do rotate a lot of players in off their depth chart and signed 6 JUCO prospects that will be expected to fill some shoes. They signed #1 ranked JUCO QB Jake Waters to battle with Sophomore Daniel Sams. They return their whole offensive line, two wide outs who had more than 500+ yards, and their RB in Hubert who had 900+ yards last year. Their defense will be led by Free Safety Ty Zimmerman, a returning All-American. Their secondary will be their strength, as they lost almost everything in their front 7.

Overall, if we play mistake free football I think we have a chance. Bill Snyder has a program heading in the right direct from when Ron Prince had it. He is known for signing JUCO's prospects as quick fixes. I think that losing Colin Klein who accounted for 39 TD's last year and was a Heisman Candidate back-to-back years will hurt them more than they feel. Also they lost Arthur Brown, who was their All-American MLB.

Side Note: In 2011, we stayed at the Marriott in Madisson, when we played down in Frisco. We were talking to some Kansas State fans (who were down for the Cotton Bowl vs. Arkansas). They knew a little about our program, and we have stayed in contact with them ever since that night. They will text us on any big wins we have and we have done the same. They have given us a few pointers on where to tailgate, bars to hit, and where to stay when we head down there in August. Two years ago they sounded very confident and said that Bill Snyder was very conservative early in the year with his play calling. So then they said they wouldn't be surprised if the score is closer than its supposed to be. But after we won our 2nd straight National Title, his text was a little different tone. He said he was worried with how much they lost and after watching us play in the championship game that he knew its going to be a tough game for them.

Good information and insight. Thanks

HerdBot
04-10-2013, 02:43 PM

Their offense vs our defense is going to be fun to watch. 2 great units. We have 10 returning starters on an incredible defense.

I think our offense has a major size advantage and with all the new starters they have on defense, mistakes could lead to big plays.

Its going to be a great game

TransAmBison
04-10-2013, 05:53 PM
Which playbook will be used?

bri-dog
04-10-2013, 06:01 PM

The one he borrowed from this guy...

http://cineplex.media.baselineresearch.com/images/295088/295088_large.jpg

bri-dog
04-10-2013, 06:03 PM
Or this guy...

http://www.thefancarpet.com/uploaded_assets/images/gallery/1626/The_Waterboy_20832_Medium.jpg

BisonNation11
04-10-2013, 06:03 PM

I have a feeling Bohl and Vigen really want this W. Vigen especially since he seems to have a close relationship with Brock. So I expect it to be like a playoff game playbook taking advantage of opportunities to gain momentum and utilize the strengths of the offense. I fully expect a 3rd quarter similar to the 2nd half of the NC game where we lean on them hard and try to wear them down as much as possible.

Hammerhead
04-10-2013, 06:10 PM
Aren't the FBS teams supposed to wear down the "little" guys of FBS?

ndsubison1
04-10-2013, 07:59 PM
I have a feeling Bohl and Vigen really want this W. Vigen especially since he seems to have a close relationship with Brock. So I expect it to be like a playoff game playbook taking advantage of opportunities to gain momentum and utilize the strengths of the offense. I fully expect a 3rd quarter similar to the 2nd half of the NC game where we lean on them hard and try to wear them down as much as possible.

i expect it to be similar to the gopher game in 11', short dink n dunk stuff early. 2nd half we open it up a bit more and really go at them

perthbison
04-10-2013, 08:01 PM
Aren't the FBS teams supposed to wear down the "little" guys of FBS?Yeah. Our guys were " very tired "after they worked over Colorado state last year:biggrin:

BisonNeil
04-10-2013, 11:22 PM

I agree.

I also look at this as a game in which the Bison coaches have more than a week to game plan. What is the record for Bohl and his staff when they have 2 or more weeks to game plan, a gazillion to one?

I have been critical of Vigen, but I will say this, he may be a top ten OC in DI football when he has two or more weeks to game plan. Very cerebral. I predict he will have all kinds of s#!t to throw at KSU.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
04-11-2013, 12:16 AM

Didn't CM beat Purdue in the Motor City Bowl that year?

Edit: Looked it up. CMU lost by 3.