PDA

View Full Version : What my Cats did was wrong

DMoo531
04-03-2013, 04:35 AM
I apologize for what the Cats did. I am afraid the current AD does not understand the long history of MSU playing NDSU. Before '78 when we found ourselves on different sides of the I-AA/Div II divide I don't remember a year that MSU did not play either UND or NDSU, most years both. I believe in '76 we met twice, once OOC in Bozeman and again in Fargo during the playoffs. The game in Bozeman I dimly remember. In those days drinking at the game was frowned on, but allowed as long as you didn't throw empties onto the field.

I enjoyed our rivalry. We could get up for the game every year but if you beat us, well y'all were 1k miles away and I wouldn't see a Bison fan every day. The Griz now are a different story. Lose to them and you knew you would hear about it all year. Ours was a rivalry I'd hoped would be rekindled After what the Cats have done I doubt the Bison will ever return to Bozeman. I find that very regrettable.

As you are the Champs, I'm sure it appears as tho the Cats chickened out. Perhaps they did, I would hope not. I was looking forward to an early season game in the Dome. I'd planned to catch the Empire Builder to Fargo and experience first hand. Now I guess I'll have to wait and go to the Alerus instead.

Congrats on the Back to Back. You've a very fine team. Best of luck the upcoming season. I do hope we meet again.

ndsubison1
04-03-2013, 06:52 AM
georgia southern backed out and ended up coming to the dome anyways. i foresee a bison-cat quarterfinal game this season :)

KilldeerBison
04-03-2013, 01:31 PM
Your Cats AD sure left a big mess in the Bison schedule, very unprofessional. These things have a way of comming back to bite ya, and yes it does make MSU look chicken. And, it demonstrates that your AD can't be trusted to honor a contract "chicken shit". Would be great if MSU is forced to play the Bison in the playoffs, no way to back out, nowhere to run or hide.

DePereBisonFan
04-03-2013, 02:01 PM
I apologize for what the Cats did. I am afraid the current AD does not understand the long history of MSU playing NDSU. Before '78 when we found ourselves on different sides of the I-AA/Div II divide I don't remember a year that MSU did not play either UND or NDSU, most years both...Congrats on the Back to Back. You've a very fine team. Best of luck the upcoming season. I do hope we meet again.

Thank you for apologizing; I appreciate your long term perspective and wish your AD had it.

bisonmike2
04-03-2013, 02:07 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_BW030GLdBIs/SlnxmeE9XeI/AAAAAAAAAJo/f_cybHKhpbo/s320/South_Park_WP___Cartman_Kitty.jpg

gotts
04-03-2013, 02:28 PM
Just pencil NDSU in for MSU's annual "Quarterfinal Curbstomping" and balance will be begun to be restored.

WYOBISONMAN
04-03-2013, 02:36 PM
The bottom line is it looks like the MSU athletic dept is in a budget crunch. I suspect this was a move based on financial appeal. But, we sure got screwed in the process.

MNLonghorn10
04-03-2013, 02:50 PM
Mountain west! Hope for the best! Mountain west! Hope for the best!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

NorthernBison
04-03-2013, 02:57 PM
The bottom line is it looks like the MSU athletic dept is in a budget crunch. I suspect this was a move based on financial appeal. But, we sure got screwed in the process.

According to MSU, it was "revenue neutral". What they paid us plus what they are paying OPSU is equal to their FBS paycheck. I believe it got them their 6th home game (a non-counter).

Backing out of the commitment was bad enough, the late date was what hurt the most. I see a huge difference between needing to buy out because of unforseen difficulties. This doesn't meet my smell test.

cbline
04-03-2013, 03:05 PM

Usually when money is involved with getting screwed, the "screwee" gets the money. Not for dear NDSU this time: got screwed with no money coming their way. :(

Bisonator98
04-03-2013, 04:14 PM
According to MSU, it was "revenue neutral". What they paid us plus what they are paying OPSU is equal to their FBS paycheck. I believe it got them their 6th home game (a non-counter).

Backing out of the commitment was bad enough, the late date was what hurt the most. I see a huge difference between needing to buy out because of unforseen difficulties. This doesn't meet my smell test.

This. This probably would have been a blip on the radar (a bit of ribbing was bound to happen) had they bought the game out last fall. Waiting until February caused the sh!t storm and they deserve every bad pub they get over it!

Hammersmith
04-03-2013, 07:31 PM

They meant revenue neutral before taking the home gate into account. They'll be making a few hundred thousand extra once everything is said and done. But complete agree on the late date part.

NorthernBison
04-03-2013, 07:35 PM
They meant revenue neutral before taking the home gate into account. They'll be making a few hundred thousand extra once everything is said and done. But complete agree on the late date part.

Yeah, I forgot that they don't sell out with season tickets like we do. For NDSU, there is really no gate to consider. I forget that isn't true in most other places.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
04-04-2013, 12:02 AM
I apologize for what the Cats did. I am afraid the current AD does not understand the long history of MSU playing NDSU. Before '78 when we found ourselves on different sides of the I-AA/Div II divide I don't remember a year that MSU did not play either UND or NDSU, most years both. I believe in '76 we met twice, once OOC in Bozeman and again in Fargo during the playoffs. The game in Bozeman I dimly remember. In those days drinking at the game was frowned on, but allowed as long as you didn't throw empties onto the field.

I enjoyed our rivalry. We could get up for the game every year but if you beat us, well y'all were 1k miles away and I wouldn't see a Bison fan every day. The Griz now are a different story. Lose to them and you knew you would hear about it all year. Ours was a rivalry I'd hoped would be rekindled After what the Cats have done I doubt the Bison will ever return to Bozeman. I find that very regrettable.

As you are the Champs, I'm sure it appears as tho the Cats chickened out. Perhaps they did, I would hope not. I was looking forward to an early season game in the Dome. I'd planned to catch the Empire Builder to Fargo and experience first hand. Now I guess I'll have to wait and go to the Alerus instead.

Congrats on the Back to Back. You've a very fine team. Best of luck the upcoming season. I do hope we meet again.

My deepest sympathies go out to you.

Bison bison
04-04-2013, 01:44 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP4NMoJcFd4

I don't know about you guys but I love cats.

BlueBisonRock
04-04-2013, 01:52 AM
I don't know about you guys but I love cats.

Lets just say I am close to agreeing with you.

AjaxTheMighty
04-04-2013, 02:14 AM

Have fun at alerus center. You are in for a real treat! The vintage 1998 sound system reverberating off the indoor tin siding is particularly inviting. You will enjoy practically any seat you want!! You might get to feast you eyes on all black uniforms reminiscent of the Takagowi Ninja clan of 1987. And don't leave the feast just for your eyes. A classic and unique use of an AC/DC song will greet the home team to the cheer of the hundreds of home town fans. If you are lucky you may spot an advertisement for the Olive Garden. It's a new type of Italian eatery. Brand new. Excellent food! And it won't take you long to fall in love with the student section, those 45-50 crazy kids who couldn't get tickets for the hockey match are very spirited. Speaking of hockey, you may want to take in a double header after football and experience the biggest gathering of Canadian athletes on an American University collegiate team in the country! It's quite a deal eh?! Overall, I think you will love UN_ and all it has to offer!

perthbison
04-04-2013, 02:16 AM

Congrats on the Back to Back. You've a very fine team. Best of luck the upcoming season. I do hope we meet again.I listened to your AD after backing out and he sounded like a very self centered douch. I appreciate that some cat fans can see the wrong in this and acknowledge it. One of the sadder parts of this is I'd hoped for a future home and home cause I like visiting Bozeman. A nice driveable road trip. One way the cats can make retribution for 10% of this would be to run up the score on und next year.

TransAmBison
04-04-2013, 02:53 AM
If the serious police see this thread you guys are all in big trouble.

WYOBISONMAN
04-04-2013, 10:30 AM
Usually when money is involved with getting screwed, the "screwee" gets the money. Not for dear NDSU this time: got screwed with no money coming their way. :(

Actually we did get paid $100,000 as a buyout. When Gene negotiated the contract that was a significant amount. Not so anymore.

1st&TennBison
04-04-2013, 06:11 PM
A good way to stop teams from buying us out like they did ( and this is just my opinion) is to make any future buyouts between 200-250k. The 200k-250k would be the amount paid if the game is canceled during the season before ( so a 2014 game would need to be canceled before the 2013 season is over). Then, every 30 days or so after that, the buyout would increase somewhere between 25k and 50k to make up for the shortened time frame. Or maybe we can make the buyout start at double the price that we were going to offer the team to come here for and then add the penalty money on top for late buyout.

GRAFTONBISON
04-04-2013, 06:44 PM
A good way to stop teams from buying us out like they did ( and this is just my opinion) is to make any future buyouts between 200-250k. The 200k-250k would be the amount paid if the game is canceled during the season before ( so a 2014 game would need to be canceled before the 2013 season is over). Then, every 30 days or so after that, the buyout would increase somewhere between 25k and 50k to make up for the shortened time frame. Or maybe we can make the buyout start at double the price that we were going to offer the team to come here for and then add the penalty money on top for late buyout.

Sounds great. Now we just need to get the opposing schools to agree to the terms. Should be easy

ndsubison1
04-04-2013, 07:28 PM

do you think they would sign the contract if they didnt have a reasonable buyout option? probably not

1st&TennBison
04-04-2013, 08:54 PM
do you think they would sign the contract if they didnt have a reasonable buyout option? probably not

Probably not, but then again those teams who want a low buyout probably have one foot out the door to start with. I don't want to worry every year that teams are going to blow us off so that they can go get a big payday somewhere else and not honor their commitments.
I have to wonder why teams like App St and GSU never really seemed to have problems like this when they were winning Nattys.

1st&TennBison
04-04-2013, 08:55 PM

Probably not, but then again those teams who want a low buyout probably have one foot out the door to start with. I don't want to worry every year that teams are going to blow us off so that they can go get a big payday somewhere else and not honor their commitments.
I have to wonder why teams like App St and GSU never really seemed to have problems like this when they were winning Nattys.

NorthernBison
04-04-2013, 09:28 PM

When App State was ending their string of titles, it was just about the time when the BCS started allowing FBS programs to use an FCS win EVERY YEAR to count toward Bowl Eligibilty. Before that, it was every other year. That change alone caused hundreds of FCS vs FBS games to be scheduled that previously were FCS vs FCS.

Gene certainly can insist on a large buyout when he offers to do home and home contracts. If the number is way out of the market, he won't see much ink spilled on the contracts he offers.

IzzyFlexion
04-04-2013, 11:05 PM
How about a blended approach.............

If you need out of the contract having a legitimate reason and it occurs at least 10 months before gameday......then 200k.

If you wait until the last minute and FUCK UP our entire schedule, jeopardize our three-peat, and cause multitudes of Bison fans to fight, argue, and worry about a 6th home game replacement.......................well, then it's 4 million.

perthbison
04-05-2013, 03:13 AM
How about a blended approach.............

If you need out of the contract having a legitimate reason and it occurs at least 10 months before gameday......then 200k.

If you wait until the last minute and FUCK UP our entire schedule, jeopardize our three-peat, and cause multitudes of Bison fans to fight, argue, and worry about a 6th home game replacement.......................well, then it's 4 million.This is true

SamsRams
04-05-2013, 06:17 AM

Northern nailed one of the main points about the change in how often FBS could play FCS for bowl eligible victories. But the other huge reason is this MAP (http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://i21.servimg.com/u/f21/09/00/80/81/fcsmap10.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.bigskyfans.com/vikings/viewtopic.php?f%3D2%26t%3D1133&h=550&w=800&sz=123&tbnid=jtxezlL7RNPHOM:&tbnh=83&tbnw=121&zoom=1&usg=__If2e_lXNxcEqJJ7nZbrFKszk51w=&docid=j9nzP0IvrqORaM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=LWteUbDrNKWniQLi8oDYCQ&ved=0CDoQ9QEwAg&dur=253)
Yes its a bit old but it still shows how isolated NDSU is. Its the main reason NDSU had to up the average payday to bring teams in. The cost it takes to get to Fargo, both monetarily and physically is too much to deal with for many teams.

NorthernBison
04-05-2013, 11:52 AM
Northern nailed one of the main points about the change in how often FBS could play FCS for bowl eligible victories. But the other huge reason is this MAP (http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://i21.servimg.com/u/f21/09/00/80/81/fcsmap10.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.bigskyfans.com/vikings/viewtopic.php?f%3D2%26t%3D1133&h=550&w=800&sz=123&tbnid=jtxezlL7RNPHOM:&tbnh=83&tbnw=121&zoom=1&usg=__If2e_lXNxcEqJJ7nZbrFKszk51w=&docid=j9nzP0IvrqORaM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=LWteUbDrNKWniQLi8oDYCQ&ved=0CDoQ9QEwAg&dur=253)
Yes its a bit old but it still shows how isolated NDSU is. Its the main reason NDSU had to up the average payday to bring teams in. The cost it takes to get to Fargo, both monetarily and physically is too much to deal with for many teams.

Excellent point you make about the map. Even the map doesn't indicate just how isolated Fargo is in the MINDS of people from out of the area. To get that perspective, you could move NDSU and UND logos all the way up to the Arctic Circle. Until teams make the trip, they imagine it to be far worse than it actually is.

DePereBisonFan
04-05-2013, 01:51 PM

Interesting map. I didn't realize how few teams there are West of us. It would almost be nice if Dickinson State moved up to DI/FCS (I'm a bit tired this morning).

If the Montana and Dakota schools went FBS, the FCS would practically be an East-Coast-Only Division.

Also, I'd like to see an edited map on top of that one that shows distribution of national championships...:)

Bisonator98
04-05-2013, 01:56 PM
I don't buy that isolation BS anymore. NDSU has a great international airport within spitting distance of campus. Most FCS schools don't have a regional airport within miles. Getting to and from NDSU is a breeze compared to most other schools!

Hammerhead
04-05-2013, 02:02 PM
Do teams ship all of their gear by truck for long road trips or does it all fit on the plane? For the players, it shouldn't make much difference if they have a 4 hour bus ride or 4 hour plane ride. It's only 5 miles from the airport to the Radisson hotel downtown so it's not like they have to travel much once they get off the plane.

NorthernBison
04-05-2013, 02:08 PM
I don't buy that isolation BS anymore. NDSU has a great international airport within spitting distance of campus. Most FCS schools don't have a regional airport within miles. Getting to and from NDSU is a breeze compared to most other schools!

True. All of which means absolutely NOTHING when people around the country think Fargo is the end of the Earth. That's why I pointed out that until teams make the trip, they have a false impression of what they face when scheduling NDSU.

tony
04-05-2013, 02:58 PM
True. All of which means absolutely NOTHING when people around the country think Fargo is the end of the Earth. That's why I pointed out that until teams make the trip, they have a false impression of what they face when scheduling NDSU.

I would hope that university presidents, on the whole, are a little better informed about issues like this than the general public.

NorthernBison
04-05-2013, 04:29 PM
I would hope that university presidents, on the whole, are a little better informed about issues like this than the general public.

Well, it comes up literally EVERY time there is a discussion about conference membership. By Conference Commissioners and even some Presidents.

heffray
04-05-2013, 05:31 PM
Mountain west! Hope for the best! Mountain west! Hope for the best!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

holy crap, what did i miss?

ndsubison1
04-05-2013, 08:59 PM

do you suppose costs come into play? of course

SamsRams
04-05-2013, 10:08 PM

So if I get this right
NDSU:has a great airport and is easy to get in and out of
Most FCS Schools: Dont have an easily accessible airport
Thus: Its easy for other FCS teams to get to Fargo

So in theory A + B = Whatever you want it to equal to

Well my point was why take a plane when you can bus to 20+ schools. But I guess since they dont have an easily accessible airport it should be easy for them to get to Fargo. Thanks for clearing this up with us!

BlueBisonRock
04-06-2013, 03:04 AM

Come on! Fargo is NOT the end of the earth. That is located just south and west of Minot!!!

Lovethecats75
04-06-2013, 07:02 PM
With an airport code of FAR what would you expect people to think.
I to want to say that I wish we were playing you guys. The fans wanted it, the players wanted it, the coaches wanted it, the AD wanted to make money. Push come to shove collage football is about making money. It is a business and everything I hear is this was a business move. Hope to see you in the playoffs. My preference would be in the NC game.

MontBison
04-06-2013, 07:53 PM
I to want to say that I wish we were playing you guys. The fans wanted it, the players wanted it, the coaches wanted it, the AD wanted to make money. Push come to shove collage football is about making money. It is a business and everything I hear is this was a business move. Hope to see you in the playoffs. My preference would be in the NC game.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

BlueBisonRock
04-06-2013, 08:03 PM

I was looking forward to this game and a continuing series until this move. I have family that attended and graduated from your institution and spent three of my formative years half way between Boseman and Missoula. That has changed.

The phrase "Its a business" is simply another excuse. Successful business is based on a moral / ethical / legal conduct code. The move to cancel the game was legal by the contract, but lacked the ethical basis necessary for a good business relationship. And frankly, business is all about the relationship. Profit follows...

Moving forward, I will consider MSU as

KilldeerBison
04-08-2013, 04:20 AM

Nice try, your AD is a dipshit! Makes your whole program look bad. Bet if we had done this to you (Cats) you'd be screaming for our AD's head on a stick.

perthbison
04-08-2013, 04:29 AM
Nice try, your AD is a dipshit! Makes your whole program look bad. Bet if we had done this to you (Cats) you'd be screaming for our AD's head on a stick.On 740 the next day he said "I schedule for MSU and we basically don't care if we shit on anyone". I'd be calling for Gene to be canned if he ran our department this way and I think there'd be a lot of us.

Herd
04-08-2013, 05:04 PM
I was more pissed about the Peter Fields move at first, until the news came out about the deficit at MSU. Then its a little easier to understand. Fields probably got called in the President's office and asked for ways to reduce the deficit by hook or by crook. This scenario assumes the deficit announcement was real, instead of fabricated for damage control.

skolbrother
04-09-2013, 02:50 PM
I was @ Big Sky over the past few days. Turned on the 10 o'clock sports to see the Cats spring game highlights.
Had I known, I would have possibly skipped great spring skiing to go up there in my Bison gear and stand there and Booo the pu$$ycats!
Instead had a cool bartender who was a Griz fan who we proceeded to rip on them but he & my UND wife and buddy got surly after he called the Big Sky the toughest conference in the FCS and I called it the Big Fluffy.
My wife: "really? you are in a Montana bar calling it the Big fluffy!"
Me: "Honey, it's the Summit bar and I speak the truth!"

Bison bison
04-09-2013, 03:04 PM
I was more pissed about the Peter Fields move at first, until the news came out about the deficit at MSU. Then its a little easier to understand.

Timing is everything.

He could have told us a year ago they were flying above their ability and needed to cancel the game.

tony
04-09-2013, 03:34 PM
I've heard that an enormous spray bottle is being readied for use in the FargoDome.

Bad kittehs beware.

Bison"FANatic"
04-09-2013, 03:47 PM
Please Please Please NCAA, Just give us the kitties in the dome in the playoffs.

They will get the appropriate "Thank you" for these shenanigans.

That is all!!!!!!!!!

overquota
04-10-2013, 05:12 PM
I was looking forward to this game. I do understand how some AD's have to make a tough business call. However these schools that make the decision to pull out of a game for business reasons need to remember this will affect future schedules. I am sure our current and future AD will only offer home and home contracts which have them coming to the Fargo Dome first and if they buy out, our commitment for their home games is automatically voided with no penalties.