PDA

View Full Version : 2013 Spring Practice

RedRiver
04-01-2013, 09:14 PM
Might as well start a new thread for the new season!

Just drove by the outdoor practice field this afternoon and the football team is in full practice mode. Nice cool day and alot of snow around the practice field.

HerdBot
04-01-2013, 09:47 PM
Might as well start a new thread for the new season!

Just drove by the outdoor practice field this afternoon and the football team is in full practice mode. Nice cool day and alot of snow around the practice field.

Have they finished the new turf yet? The dome turf that lasted a whole game

BisonNation11
04-01-2013, 09:51 PM

I doubt it. I believe they stopped last year before it was installed and they are just using Dacotah Field right now.

Photo courtesy to North Dakota State Bison Facebook page

http://i1311.photobucket.com/albums/s675/BisonNation11/bisonpractice_zps324854f4.jpg

GradBison
04-01-2013, 09:51 PM

Nope, they ran out of construction weather last year. It will go in when construction weather returns this year.

North Side
04-01-2013, 11:50 PM
Nope, they ran out of construction weather last year. It will go in when construction weather returns this year.
so mid July? ;)

DIBISON
04-02-2013, 12:52 AM
MJ taking some reps at linebacker with the #1 defense.

BisonNation11
04-02-2013, 02:19 AM
Sights and sounds from the first day

http://youtu.be/WW73W2wh3Cw

Professor Chaos
04-02-2013, 02:29 AM
Sights and sounds from the first day

http://youtu.be/WW73W2wh3Cw
0:55 mark: good to see #20 back out there again. No pads but good nonetheless.

westnodak93bison
04-02-2013, 03:18 AM
Who is the RB at 1:20?

BisonNation11
04-02-2013, 03:28 AM

Here's the list of RB on the roster. I'd guess either Hardacker or Anderson, however, the jersey numbers don't match up. (The runner wears #27)

30 Darius Anderson RB 5-7 181 RSo. Kapolei, Hawai'i (Valley City State) (Island Pacific Academy)
23 John Crockett RB 6-0 205 Jr. Minneapolis, Minn. (Totino-Grace HS)
38 Francisco Hardacker RB 5-9 190 RFr. Edina, Minn. (Edina HS)
5 Derrick Lang RB 5-11 215 Sr. Wausau, Wis. (West HS)
22 Sam Ojuri RB 6-0 206 Sr. Barrington, Ill. (Barrington HS)

perthbison
04-02-2013, 03:28 AM
Gotta get one of those caps that Bohl is wearing today.

BismarckBisonFan
04-02-2013, 03:31 AM

I think it is D. Anderson. There's a few duplicate numbers on the roster from gobison.com. Being he is doubled up with the fullback's number (30) he might have changed numbers because there was a 27 in green on defense. Thus there would be a open gold 27.

BisonNation11
04-02-2013, 03:32 AM
Ok, I don't want to bring up the ladies from up north, but just watching WDAY news and Dom had some great video of the UN_ football team clearing their own field of snow so they can practice on it later in the week... I couldn't help but laugh the whole time!

daHERDfollower
04-02-2013, 03:38 AM
That was Darius Anderson wearing #27.

JustinTyem
04-02-2013, 04:45 AM
Ok, I don't want to bring up the ladies from up north, but just watching WDAY news and Dom had some great video of the UN_ football team clearing their own field of snow so they can practice on it later in the week... I couldn't help but laugh the whole time!LoL,Thats a BUSH LEAGUE excuse to not have the practice field ready. Its a Turf field and they have had several days to get it ready!!!!!

SamsRams
04-02-2013, 05:11 AM
Here's the list of RB on the roster. I'd guess either Hardacker or Anderson, however, the jersey numbers don't match up. (The runner wears #27)

30 Darius Anderson RB 5-7 181 RSo. Kapolei, Hawai'i (Valley City State) (Island Pacific Academy)
23 John Crockett RB 6-0 205 Jr. Minneapolis, Minn. (Totino-Grace HS)
38 Francisco Hardacker RB 5-9 190 RFr. Edina, Minn. (Edina HS)
5 Derrick Lang RB 5-11 215 Sr. Wausau, Wis. (West HS)
22 Sam Ojuri RB 6-0 206 Sr. Barrington, Ill. (Barrington HS)

on a very regular basis players dont wear their actual number in practice. Also this is the time of the year where players can select a new number for the upcoming season

ndsubison1
04-02-2013, 08:11 AM
but were a dome team that cant play in the cold!

BisonNation11
04-02-2013, 07:19 PM
Here's a link to the audio from Coach Bohl's interview on the Fan today. Talks a little about everything.

http://740thefan.com/page.php?page_id=82

Professor Chaos
04-02-2013, 07:43 PM
I think it is D. Anderson. There's a few duplicate numbers on the roster from gobison.com. Being he is doubled up with the fullback's number (30) he might have changed numbers because there was a 27 in green on defense. Thus there would be a open gold 27.
It is Darius Anderson. They referenced him being #27 on the heading for Izzo and Kolpack's video blog entry yesterday (http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/2013/04/01/bison-video-blog-spring-football-begins/).

Answer Guy
04-02-2013, 08:13 PM
It is Darius Anderson.

He was previously with Hootie and the Blowholes.

HerdBot
04-02-2013, 09:02 PM
but were a dome team that cant play in the cold!

I guess we squashed the whole bit that no team has ever won a championship in a dome. Or was that a superbowl? And that was killed when the Rams won it.

We play indoors but we practice outdoors.

imabison
04-02-2013, 10:46 PM
I guess we squashed the whole bit that no team has ever won a championship in a dome. Or was that a superbowl? And that was killed when the Rams won it.

We play indoors but we practice outdoors.

Nope you are wrong.

The Bison play WHERE EVER the game is played..

goalpost
04-03-2013, 02:54 PM
any up dates on day two ??

Bison Fan 17
04-03-2013, 03:10 PM
#1 team in FCS working on 3peat......The Whioux Still shoveling!!!!!

roadwarrior
04-03-2013, 03:16 PM
any up dates on day two ??

Today will be day two.

roadwarrior
04-03-2013, 03:17 PM
Pulled from gobison:

Spring Practice Schedule
#1 Monday, April 1, 3:15 p.m. (Dacotah Field)
#2 Wednesday, April 3, 4:30 p.m. (Dacotah Field)
#3 Friday, April 5, 4:30 p.m. (Dacotah Field)
#4 Saturday, April 6, 10 a.m. (Dacotah Field)
#5 Monday, April 8, 4:30 p.m. (Dacotah Field)
#6 Wednesday, April 10, 4:30 p.m. (Dacotah Field)
#7 Friday, April 12, 4:30 p.m. (Dacotah Field)
#8 Saturday, April 13, 11 a.m. (Dacotah Field) SCRIMMAGE
#9 Monday, April 15, 4:30 p.m. (Dacotah Field)
#10 Wednesday, April 17, 4:30 p.m. (Dacotah Field)
#11 Friday, April 19, 4 p.m., 4:30 p.m. (Fargodome) Coaches Clinic
#12 Saturday, April 20, 12:30 p.m. (Fargodome) Coaches Clinic
#13 Monday, April 22, 4:30 p.m. (Fargodome)
#14 Wednesday, April 24, 4:30 p.m. (Fargodome)
#15 Saturday, April 27, 1 p.m. (Fargodome) Green-Gold
(**--please note, practice times, sites are subject to change)

Jim Puetz
04-03-2013, 07:42 PM
Anyone notice how big some of these guys have gotten since last year? Jake Plankers 6'7" 311 lbs, Esley Thornton 6'3" 220 lbs. Plankers is bigger than Turner, and I think Thornton is the biggest linebacker; and both are athletic.

westnodak93bison
04-03-2013, 07:57 PM
Anyone notice how big some of these guys have gotten since last year? Jake Plankers 6'7" 311 lbs, Esley Thornton 6'3" 220 lbs. Plankers is bigger than Turner, and I think Thornton is the biggest linebacker; and both are athletic.

Riopelle is listed at 229

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Bison"FANatic"
04-03-2013, 08:10 PM
Wow Stumpf got it done in the weight room up 25 lbs from 185.

westnodak93bison
04-03-2013, 08:24 PM
Wow Stumpf got it done in the weight room up 25 lbs from 185.

And in the lunch room

Bison"FANatic"
04-03-2013, 08:35 PM
Letchler up 31 pounds

Also a couple young receivers put on some weight Carey woods up 11 and DeSean Warren up 14. Happy to see Warren get some weight on him as he was only 154.

HoopsBison
04-03-2013, 08:41 PM
Really excited to see what Warren and Woods can bring to the receiver position, lots of talent and potential there!

Mr. Burgundy
04-03-2013, 08:49 PM
Really excited to see what Warren and Woods can bring to the receiver position, lots of talent and potential there!

Dee Gray is the WR that "everyone" talks about. In person, he is thin/tall. But, they all talk about how he can go make plays. Warren is tiny, but was a great recruit, and now has two torn ACL injuries, how do you not root for a kid like that. Woods seems like the kid nobody really talks about, but has the body that appears most ready to play. With Okland off the team, we need these guys to step up. The good news, their toughest defenders are in practice, games should be easy!

BadlandsBison
04-03-2013, 08:51 PM

Kind of a strange spring for WRs again, seems like everyone has a shot at contributing! Can't remember, is Ryan Smith out for the spring?

I also noticed that Dylan Dunn is listed at TE.

EndZoneQB
04-03-2013, 09:16 PM
Dee Gray is the WR that "everyone" talks about. In person, he is thin/tall. But, they all talk about how he can go make plays. Warren is tiny, but was a great recruit, and now has two torn ACL injuries, how do you not root for a kid like that. Woods seems like the kid nobody really talks about, but has the body that appears most ready to play. With Okland off the team, we need these guys to step up. The good news, their toughest defenders are in practice, games should be easy!

Yeah the little bit I saw Woods, he seemed like he was physically ready to contribute. Not the tallest kid in the world but had that thicker, more muscular build...almost like a Crabtree-type body(no I'm not comparing them, settle down).

aces1180
04-03-2013, 09:19 PM
Yeah the little bit I saw Woods, he seemed like he was physically ready to contribute. Not the tallest kid in the world but had that thicker, more muscular build...almost like a Crabtree-type body(no I'm not comparing them, settle down).

When I talked to my buddy at the Pep Fest in Frisco, a former player and someone who's extremely connected to the program, he said that the coaching staff compares Woods' talent to that off Travis White.

EndZoneQB
04-03-2013, 09:26 PM
When I talked to my buddy at the Pep Fest in Frisco, a former player and someone who's extremely connected to the program, he said that the coaching staff compares Woods' talent to that off Travis White.

I'd take TW back any day...and Woods is bigger IIRC.

HoopsBison
04-03-2013, 09:46 PM

Totally forgot about Dee Gray! Even more reason to be excited!

HerdBot
04-03-2013, 11:46 PM
Dont forget about Eric Perkins. Built like Ryan Smith but plays big

perthbison
04-04-2013, 12:00 AM
And in the lunch room

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2Even I can put on quality weight in there

TransAmBison
04-04-2013, 03:13 AM
Travis White was one of the all time great receivers...if a coach compares a player to him, that says something.

aces1180
04-04-2013, 02:24 PM
I'd take TW back any day...and Woods is bigger IIRC.

Yeah, he could be something special.

Jelo
04-06-2013, 08:02 PM
Per Kolpack on blog
http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/
Freshman defensive tackle Austin Farnlof appeared to suffer a knee injury that head coach Craig Bohl said could be an ACL
tear.

HerdBot
04-06-2013, 08:15 PM
Per Kolpack on blog
Freshman defensive tackle Austin Farnlof appeared to suffer a knee injury that head coach Craig Bohl said could be an ACL
tear.

That sucks Royal Dick. If anything its good it happened now so he can be 100% next year when we REALLY need him. Feel confident with Drevlow, Perry, Schaetz, and Luecke. Time to see if Brett Pierce is ready.

JustinTyem
04-06-2013, 09:45 PM
Per Kolpack on blog
tear.Which Zac or Zack Johnson is Bohl talking about????

BisonNeil
04-06-2013, 10:30 PM
That sucks Royal Dick. If anything its good it happened now so he can be 100% next year when we REALLY need him. Feel confident with Drevlow, Perry, Schaetz, and Luecke. Time to see if Brett Pierce is ready.

Time to move Tony LaVoy back to DL?

tony
04-06-2013, 11:07 PM
Per Kolpack on blog
tear.

Dang it. Here's to hoping that Austin gets well soon.

HerdBot
04-07-2013, 01:40 AM
Time to move Tony LaVoy back to DL?

Yeah he's a talent. Problem is were loaded at DT and guard. My gut says we need him more at DT

JustinTyem
04-07-2013, 01:54 AM
Yeah he's a talent. Problem is were loaded at DT and guard. My gut says we need him more at DTSince when???

HerdBot
04-07-2013, 02:01 AM
m
Since when???

4 guys capable of starting.

Leevon Perry, Drevlow, and Lueke are seniors. (All 3 started at one point)
Then you have Brian Schaetz. (Also started)
Then you have Mike Hardie who moves to DT in nickel spots.

Then you have Brett Pierce, a high profile signing

Throw in this years freshman class and we? are indeed loaded. You are definitely loaded.

westnodak93bison
04-07-2013, 02:30 PM
We seem to hear Esley and MJ being mentioned often enough to make me feel confident they will probably get it and be able to contribute. However, I hear nothing about a backup MLB.

BisonNeil
04-07-2013, 04:29 PM
We seem to hear Esley and MJ being mentioned often enough to make me feel confident they will probably get it and be able to contribute. However, I hear nothing about a backup MLB.

My thoughts and concern also. Lots of mention of both players in Kolpack's article today, but nothing about getting Olson off the field for a few snaps. Olson backed up Evans from the get go as a TFr which kept him healthier in 10 and 11. I would like to see Olson get off the field for 10-15 snaps also.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/395653/group/Sports/

CAS4127
04-07-2013, 06:15 PM
How can Bohl be saying we are "thin" in a general sense? We lost very few players. Or is he just referencing spring ball?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tjbison
04-07-2013, 06:27 PM
How can Bohl be saying we are "thin" in a general sense? We lost very few players. Or is he just referencing spring ball?!

With 8 or 9 players out of Spring Ball and now Austin we are thin, most hopefully outside of Austin of course should be 100% by fall, so maybe he meant currently

JustinTyem
04-07-2013, 06:51 PM
m

Throw in this years freshman class and we? are indeed loaded. You are definitely loaded.My point was LP,Drev,Schaetz Knee injuries last year and LP and Drev are out for the spring. IMO the DT is very thin,with Juckem done,and now Austin probly out for the year again and LP and Drev not playing right now,really scares me at the position.

344Johnson
04-07-2013, 08:43 PM
My point was LP,Drev,Schaetz Knee injuries last year and LP and Drev are out for the spring. IMO the DT is very thin,with Juckem done,and now Austin probly out for the year again and LP and Drev not playing right now,really scares me at the position.

Not even remotely worried. Everyone but Austin should be ready for the season.

JustinTyem
04-08-2013, 01:15 AM
Not even remotely worried. Everyone but Austin should be ready for the season."Should be" is like a game time Decision...............

HerdBot
04-08-2013, 05:40 AM
My point was LP,Drev,Schaetz Knee injuries last year and LP and Drev are out for the spring. IMO the DT is very thin,with Juckem done,and now Austin probly out for the year again and LP and Drev not playing right now,really scares me at the position.

Which is why I though Lavoy could be more useful at DT now but mainly for spot duty. But make no mistake were loaded at both spots

NDSUBowler
04-08-2013, 09:53 AM
"Should be" is like a game time Decision...............
Except we aren't talking about 'next week decisions' here...we're talking about next FALL. That is a long time for the guys to heal up.

CivilBison96
04-08-2013, 03:19 PM
My thoughts and concern also. Lots of mention of both players in Kolpack's article today, but nothing about getting Olson off the field for a few snaps. Olson backed up Evans from the get go as a TFr which kept him healthier in 10 and 11. I would like to see Olson get off the field for 10-15 snaps also.

My guess from listening to Bohl talk about the prospect of true freshmen playing immediately is that Olson's backup who will allow him to get off the field for the aforementioned 10-15 snaps won't be on campus until August.

westnodak93bison
04-08-2013, 04:08 PM
My guess from listening to Bohl talk about the prospect of true freshmen playing immediately is that Olson's backup who will allow him to get off the field for the aforementioned 10-15 snaps won't be on campus until August.

Maybe. It is a big stretch to play MLB as a true freshman. Both physically and mentally.

BisonNation11
04-08-2013, 04:18 PM
Maybe. It is a big stretch to play MLB as a true freshman. Both physically and mentally.

I think with the size and speed of some of the kids coming in, physically it shouldn't be a problem. It's trusting them mentally to make the correct reads and quickly develop into a respected leader on defense that would worry me.

CivilBison96
04-08-2013, 05:21 PM

As previously mentioned, Olson did this in 2010. With the caliber of recruits that Bohl has been getting I would expect that there would be expectations that this COULD be the norm when necessary.

Mr. Burgundy
04-08-2013, 09:21 PM
I have said it once, I will say it again, nobody loves to redshirt kids more than Bison fans. I honestly think it goes back to Ben Woodside redshirting. Even though the only reason he redshirted was the status of the transition. If a kid is good enough to play, they WANT to play. These kids all come in thinking they rock and want to play a ton right away. I predict we have about 3 LB's that will play special teams, backup some stud starters and play right away this year. The LB core we just brought in was special. Some of those kids will play. Alot goes into it, does the kid want to play, can he play, spreading out recruiting classes, etc.

westnodak93bison
04-08-2013, 09:54 PM
I have said it once, I will say it again, nobody loves to redshirt kids more than Bison fans. I honestly think it goes back to Ben Woodside redshirting. Even though the only reason he redshirted was the status of the transition. If a kid is good enough to play, they WANT to play. These kids all come in thinking they rock and want to play a ton right away. I predict we have about 3 LB's that will play special teams, backup some stud starters and play right away this year. The LB core we just brought in was special. Some of those kids will play. Alot goes into it, does the kid want to play, can he play, spreading out recruiting classes, etc.

If the staff thinks one or more of the incoming FR can handle the mental part of playing MLB then I'm excited. I know Grant Olson did it but that is a pretty damn high bar.

reformedUNDfan
04-08-2013, 10:26 PM

antonio rodgers?

td577
04-08-2013, 10:56 PM
m

Throw in this years freshman class and we? are indeed loaded. You are definitely loaded.

They asked a lot of Lueke and he delivered but with his knees, he can't go a full season without the full compliment of a solid rotation. The key to this defense is the rotation on the line and keeping guys fresh. If a guy on the roster can play DT he needs to be in that rotation.

tony
04-08-2013, 11:18 PM
antonio rodgers?

He got a mention in the UNITED WE RISE bluray.

Spoiler: ​Antonio, hit the b-gap!

unbison
04-08-2013, 11:56 PM

Have not our last two starting linebackers played a backup role as true freshman?

td577
04-09-2013, 01:18 AM

I agree with Bison fans wanting to see redshirts, but I also think it can work in both the recruit and the team's favor to redshirt. For the most part, Ndsu is recruiting good quality student/athletes so five year plans towards playing and graduating are very realistic. To stay on top of this level and to be possibly competive at the next level, recruits need to buy into a five year program. When you dress on game day, you will see the field, for most positions. If you don't redshirt and you are not an immediate starter, you might be sacrificing an entire year down the line where you will be the starter. With redshirting as the norm and not the exception, every recruit should be coming in with the expectation of becoming a two year starter with considerable playing time all four years of dressing.

With the type of kids the Bison are recruiting, they are usually fbs type talent missing something to put them ahead as high schoolers. Sometimes it's size, other times it is decision making. Both factors exponentially get better during a red shirt season.

I am still disappointed Ryan Smith didn't redshirt. While he was very effective as a return man his freshman year, he could have been a four year starter at WR. His first year would have had a lot more emphasis on his strength. The same is true of our flasher. Although his position was sadly lacking the depth to allow it.

So unless a recruit is 1st or 2nd on the depth chart, please redshirt as much as possible. That first year is so critical in learning the schematics and building strength, it is imperative for the most successful NDSU program that it should be the norm.

bri-dog
04-09-2013, 01:23 AM
The same is true of our flasher. Although his position was sadly lacking the depth to allow it.

I think Izzy DID redshirt. I've heard about his lack of depth, but have no experience to comment on it...

td577
04-09-2013, 01:31 AM
I think Izzy DID redshirt. I've heard about his lack of depth, but have no experience to comment on it...

I meant the convicted flasher. Unless Izzy was convicted and then I meant the other convicted flasher.

Herd
04-09-2013, 02:29 PM
For a high caliber player, they might be considering NDSU and FCS because they want to play right away. Redshirting, for some, might be a deterent to playing for the Bison or playing FCS vs. a higher level offer. You have to trust the coaches that they are communicating and in agreement with the player on whether to take a shirt or not.

For me, when I see players coming in from AZ, TX, KS, etc . . . I cross my fingers when they Redshirt. It seems like for some of these players, taking a redshirt is a good way to increase the chances that they will be gone by year two. The examples of that are numerous. Would playing right away help to engage and retain more players from distant states? I don't know.

westnodak93bison
04-09-2013, 02:43 PM
For a high caliber player, they might be considering NDSU and FCS because they want to play right away. Redshirting, for some, might be a deterent to playing for the Bison or playing FCS vs. a higher level offer. You have to trust the coaches that they are communicating and in agreement with the player on whether to take a shirt or not.

For me, when I see players coming in from AZ, TX, KS, etc . . . I cross my fingers when they Redshirt. It seems like for some of these players, taking a redshirt is a good way to increase the chances that they will be gone by year two. The examples of that are numerous. Would playing right away help to engage and retain more players from distant states? I don't know.

Yeah, you are probably right.

KilldeerBison
04-09-2013, 02:51 PM

Seems a few years back, I remember a really good athlete came from out of state (Nebraska?). He asked for and was given the chance to play as a true freshman at FB, he left the following year to try and walk-on an FBS program somewhere. I agree, you never know.

tony
04-09-2013, 02:59 PM
NDSU played Grant Olson, Billy Turner, Colten Heagle, Jesse Hinz, Brendan Pierre, and Ryan Smith as true freshmen from a single class... heck, I might be missing some guys too (Don Carter?)

Without them playing, NDSU would not have made the 2010 playoff run. Without the experience they got in the 2010 season, we wouldn't be talking about a three-peat.

I used to be all about redshirting guys, but now I'm more of the mindset that if they want to play and can crack the depth chart, then play them.

I'll be shocked if NDSU doesn't pull the redshirt off at least one freshman LB because both Grant and Antonio are seniors and MLB is just too important to go into 2014 with nobody on the whole depth chart with game reps.

bri-dog
04-09-2013, 04:11 PM
I don't think this has been posted yet -- segment with AJ Cooper and the DEs...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=415mrLHgZxA

td577
04-09-2013, 04:32 PM
NDSU played Grant Olson, Billy Turner, Colten Heagle, Jesse Hinz, Brendan Pierre, and Ryan Smith as true freshmen from a single class... heck, I might be missing some guys too (Don Carter?)

Without them playing, NDSU would not have made the 2010 playoff run. Without the experience they got in the 2010 season, we wouldn't be talking about a three-peat.

I used to be all about redshirting guys, but now I'm more of the mindset that if they want to play and can crack the depth chart, then play them.

I'll be shocked if NDSU doesn't pull the redshirt off at least one freshman LB because both Grant and Antonio are seniors and MLB is just too important to go into 2014 with nobody on the whole depth chart with game reps.

I do think it is all about quality playing time. If it is token time, redshirt. If they can contribute and produce, play them. It is a lot of fun when a redshirt works out though. Those committed players are the backbone of our success.

cbline
04-09-2013, 06:38 PM
I don't think this has been posted yet -- segment with AJ Cooper and the DEs...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=415mrLHgZxA

Good to see the snow is cleared off of Dacotah Field so well. Take that, UN_ trolls!

56BISON73
04-09-2013, 07:57 PM
I think with the size and speed of some of the kids coming in, physically it shouldn't be a problem. It's trusting them mentally to make the correct reads and quickly develop into a respected leader on defense that would worry me.

There are noticable differences between size and speed and physical maturity. Most kids everywhere think they can come in a kick ass. But reality sets in when you line up and the person across from you is 2-3 years your senior physically. Then you have the mental aspect of working out at a high level year round, managing your time for school work etc, being away from home and then learning what you you need to do on the field.

westnodak93bison
04-09-2013, 11:06 PM
Good to see the snow is cleared off of Dacotah Field so well. Take that, UN_ trolls!

Watching the video I noticed Cole Jirik in street clothes?

TransAmBison
04-11-2013, 01:45 PM
Anybody planning on going to the scrimmage on Saturday? If it isn't too cold, I plan on going with my son.

HerdBot
04-11-2013, 03:07 PM
Anybody planning on going to the scrimmage on Saturday? If it isn't too cold, I plan on going with my son.

If we don't have a blizzard. Can we finish the shac so we can build an indoor practice facility already

BisonNation11
04-11-2013, 03:37 PM

If I wake up early enough... Friday night might be a rough one for the liver.

dragonsfan
04-11-2013, 04:40 PM
big props to ndsu for allowing msum to use their practice facilty at dacotah. that was honestly pretty cool stuff.

with 4 ndsu players on msum staff, i would expect alot of sharing of info between the 2 schools and recruits a win-win for both!
Coaches Laqua, Hunt, Lardinos & Kittelson thank you!

bri-dog
04-18-2013, 03:00 PM
This week's installment -- wide receivers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHUjeoFKcf0

BisonNeil
04-21-2013, 02:50 PM
Looks like scrimmage #2 was all about the defense imposing their will against the offense. Back up DL dominated the OL, which concerns me a bit, but Luecke looks the part, look closely and you see a behmouth in #94.

Good comments by Kolpack about Littlejohn in both the video and his write up. It sounds like the competition for CB opposite MWill is a good one, lots of options.

Woods looks good, you see #83 in the video quite a bit. De Gray is struggling and just doesn't look strong enough to me. I think some of us have over-hyped him and at this point I don't see him contributing this year as a legit WR considering what is coming back.

http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/2013/04/21/bison-video-blog-spring-scrimmage-2/

http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/2013/04/20/defense-continues-to-shine/

westnodak93bison
04-21-2013, 03:12 PM
Any info on Eric Perkins? He dressed for the National Championship game and with Ryan Smith out I thought he would get a lot of reps at Ryan's spot.

thebigund
04-21-2013, 03:50 PM
Surprising to hear Dee Gey hasn't been up to snuff. He seemed like the type of player who would be able to come in and contribute as a freshman. What's holding him back? Looked like quite the player in highschool. How are the other freshman looking?

Mr. Burgundy
04-22-2013, 03:22 AM
[QUOTE=thebigund;731658]Surprising to hear Dee Gey hasn't been up to snuff. He seemed like the type of player who would be able to come in and contribute as a freshman. What's holding him back? Looked like quite the player in highschool. How are the other freshman looking?[/QUOT

What's holding him back? Our defense. They good.

SamsRams
04-22-2013, 03:37 AM
true freshman are not used to playing spring football.

thebigund
04-22-2013, 05:20 AM
[QUOTE=thebigund;731658]Surprising to hear Dee Gey hasn't been up to snuff. He seemed like the type of player who would be able to come in and contribute as a freshman. What's holding him back? Looked like quite the player in highschool. How are the other freshman looking?[/QUOT

What's holding him back? Our defense. They good.
Woods didn't seem to struggle like grey. I'm asking because I was expecting grey to be a difference maker very early in his career for ndsu so I'm surprised to hear he's struggled.

SamsRams
04-22-2013, 06:30 AM
Woods didn't seem to struggle like grey. I'm asking because I was expecting grey to be a difference maker very early in his career for ndsu so I'm surprised to hear he's struggled.

just remembered I don't care why u care.

HerdBot
04-22-2013, 07:23 AM
[QUOTE=Mr. Burgundy;731800]

West Coast offense takes a while to learn. He's been on the practice squad. Dee will be great once he gets the system down and gets his confidence up. With Vraa, Gebheart, and Moody (all Jr's) and seniors Smith and Wahlo all returning, there isn't a dire need for him to step in immediately. Vraa has a medical redshirt if he wants it. I think Woods is incredibly skilled and he haven't seen DeSean Warren yet.

bri-dog
04-22-2013, 04:40 PM
Conor Riley with the TEs and FBs...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Hv558WuaB-w#!

thebigund
04-23-2013, 02:11 AM
So who is going to make the biggest impact as a freshman next season?
Carey Woods perhaps? Is Mt Plankers ready for game action? Someone at cb even?

perthbison
04-23-2013, 02:45 AM
So who is going to make the biggest impact as a freshman next season?
Carey Woods perhaps? Is Mt Plankers ready for game action? Someone at cb even?I think Plankers will

BisonNation11
04-23-2013, 03:04 AM
I think Plankers will

I can't say for sure, but I thought Plankers was playing tackle, specifically left tackle. It will be tough for him to push Turner out of his spot. He will make a huge impact next year (that is if I'm right).

Bison Dan
04-23-2013, 12:26 PM
No freshman will have a impact as we are a very veteran team. Bo Liefhus and MJ Stumpt will stand out.

BisonNeil
04-23-2013, 06:11 PM
No freshman will have a impact as we are a very veteran team. Bo Liefhus and MJ Stumpt will stand out.

I would argue that if any TFr makes the kick coverage teams they are making an impact. You look at what Champion did last year on special teams and it was definitely impactful. Granted, he wasn't a TFr, but if one of the studs comes in and does that, or backs up Olson at MLB for 10% of the snaps, that is making an impact, IMO.

ndsubison1
04-23-2013, 06:47 PM
I would argue that if any TFr makes the kick coverage teams they are making an impact. You look at what Champion did last year on special teams and it was definitely impactful. Granted, he wasn't a TFr, but if one of the studs comes in and does that, or backs up Olson at MLB for 10% of the snaps, that is making an impact, IMO.

yep the less starters on things like kick coverage and punt team, the better

Bison Dan
04-23-2013, 07:24 PM
I would argue that if any TFr makes the kick coverage teams they are making an impact. You look at what Champion did last year on special teams and it was definitely impactful. Granted, he wasn't a TFr, but if one of the studs comes in and does that, or backs up Olson at MLB for 10% of the snaps, that is making an impact, IMO.Okay if that's the standard then I agree with you. I won't be surprised if we have 3 or 4 on special teams this year.

thebigund
04-23-2013, 08:11 PM
How has McGinnis looked?

BadlandsBison
04-23-2013, 08:30 PM
How has McGinnis looked?

With his eyes. You can tune into the spring game with your eyes and have all of your questions answered.

cracker
04-23-2013, 08:50 PM
How has McGinnis looked?

I was told at the scrimmage on Saturday that he wasn't practicing due to the fact that he "got into a little trouble in the dorm".

dragonsfan
04-23-2013, 08:59 PM
How has McGinnis looked?

why do you care so much?

ndsubison1
04-23-2013, 09:34 PM
I was told at the scrimmage on Saturday that he wasn't practicing due to the fact that he "got into a little trouble in the dorm".

im guessing he already knew or heard something. hes just trying to stir the pot. i recommend putting him on ignore

Mr. Burgundy
04-23-2013, 09:56 PM
Clearly he is just being a dick. I have no idea when I a guy constantly trolls why he isn't just tossed. It would be nice if we actually had a forum that talked about sports. Just my humble opinion.

thebigund
04-23-2013, 10:10 PM
Wow apparently it just comes naturally because that was a sincere question. I'm interested in NDSU football enough to be on here but not enough to be up on all of the hear say. Has he not practiced all spring?

KilldeerBison
04-23-2013, 10:13 PM
Wow apparently it just comes naturally because that was a sincere question. I'm interested in NDSU football enough to be on here but not enough to be up on all of the hear say. Has he not practiced all spring?

Wolf in Pooh clothing.. sincere statement.

SlickVic
04-23-2013, 10:13 PM
Clearly he is just being a dick. I have no idea when I a guy constantly trolls why he isn't just tossed. It would be nice if we actually had a forum that talked about sports. Just my humble opinion.

http://bisonation.serverforumhosting.com/ join the rain forrest club fool...private party just the way you like it lol I always

td577
04-23-2013, 10:20 PM

I would argue you don't pull a redshirt for special teams. The depth should be there to effectively cover special teams without true freshmen in those roles.

Now if a true freshman is getting significant playing time in other parts of the game, I don't have a problem not redshirting them.

If there are injuries, all bets are off.

SamsRams
04-23-2013, 11:14 PM
I would argue you don't pull a redshirt for special teams. The depth should be there to effectively cover special teams without true freshmen in those roles.

Now if a true freshman is getting significant playing time in other parts of the game, I don't have a problem not redshirting them.

Its about being on the 2-deep roster. If a true freshman makes that, he will play special teams, but may not get "significant playing time in other parts of the game"

My issue with pulling the redshirt is it seems like players over the last 3 years that had the redshirt pulled ending up transfering. But I guess if they are going to leave anyways, might as well get some use out of them

td577
04-23-2013, 11:53 PM
Its about being on the 2-deep roster. If a true freshman makes that, he will play special teams, but may not get "significant playing time in other parts of the game"

My issue with pulling the redshirt is it seems like players over the last 3 years that had the redshirt pulled ending up transfering. But I guess if they are going to leave anyways, might as well get some use out of them

I agree. You get on the two deep roster, you don't redshirt.

I also think the smart kids will look at college as a five year experience. I think our coaches do a good job of explaining that but once the kid is in practice, he thinks he should be playing. I don't know how you change that other than to have successful five year players continue to be the example. I don't know the numbers but what is the success rate of those that transfer? How many of them see the next level? If they know they aren't going to play at the next level, then I get that a kid will want to make every play count.

CB has already alluded to the fact that some kids don't want to make the commitment towards a championship. If they were redshirted because they were borderline players to begin with, they will be borderline players after the first year, as well. If they are redshirting to maximize their contribution to the program, they will be valued that way and probably included more.

I would be willing to bet CB is not losing any sleep over the guys that have left.

HerdBot
04-24-2013, 12:09 AM

Why is special teams any less important than offense or defense? Without our incredible special teams, we would not be national champions.

td577
04-24-2013, 01:13 AM
Why is special teams any less important than offense or defense? Without our incredible special teams, we would not be national champions.

I think special teams are important. I also feel usually these guys aren't being recruited for special teams. If they are not good enough to break the two deep, this means there is a lot of talent on the roster that can play special teams. That redshirt year, if used the right way, increases depth and extends leadership.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HerdBot
04-24-2013, 01:37 AM
I think special teams are important. I also feel usually these guys aren't being recruited for special teams. If they are not good enough to break the two deep, this means there is a lot of talent on the roster that can play special teams. That redshirt year, if used the right way, increases depth and extends leadership.

Many players are recruited solely for special teams. Bohl has talked about this before. Sometimes a players skillset makes him a better special teams player than a starter on the 2 deep.

But I do agree that redshirting is the preferred way to go. 5th year players are bigger, stronger, faster, more experienced, and smarter. Seems like the young players that lose their redshirt are typically physically ready but play more out of necessity but gain a ton of reps. I dont like the idea of a player that is destined to start lose a year to not get any reps and only play special teams. But if the plan all along is to make them a super special teamer i like it.

56BISON73
04-24-2013, 01:42 AM
Many players are recruited solely for special teams. Bohl has talked about this before. Sometimes a players skillset makes him a better special teams player than a starter on the 2 deep.

But I do agree that redshirting is the preferred way to go. 5th year players are bigger, stronger, faster, and smarter. Seems like the young players that lose their redshirt are typically physically ready but play more out of necessity but gain a ton of reps. I dont like the idea of a player that is destined to start lose a year to not get any reps and only play special teams.

Ive never heard him speak of this except for kickers, punters and the long snapper. Usually players skill sets transfer over to special teams from the position they play.

td577
04-24-2013, 01:45 AM

But I do agree that redshirting is the preferred way to go. 5th year players are bigger, stronger, faster, and smarter. Seems like the young players that lose their redshirt are typically physically ready but play more out of necessity but gain a ton of reps. I dont like the idea of a player that is destined to start lose a year to not get any reps and only play special teams.

I meant to say they are usually not recruited for special teams. I trust this coaching staff to put these young men in the best position to succeed individually and collectively.

I was thinking about comments earlier about redshirts leaving. I like to think these decisions are being made after end of season discussions with coaches. I think CB and his staff is very upfront with these guys about what their role on the team will be.

Grizzled
04-24-2013, 02:42 AM

I'm surprised no one posted anything about this yet. It had been covered pretty good until now.

CAS4127
04-24-2013, 02:47 AM
Ive never heard him speak of this except for kickers, punters and the long snapper. Usually players skill sets transfer over to special teams from the position they play.

Beet me to it, Pat. Sometimes a face palm doesn't do justice to a completely incorrect post.

BlueBisonRock
04-24-2013, 06:15 AM
Beet me to it, Pat. Sometimes a face palm doesn't do justice to an incredibly stupid post.

Come on now. The only stupid post is one that does not start a new thread.

thebigund
04-25-2013, 02:01 AM
I'm surprised no one posted anything about this yet. It had been covered pretty good until now.
I'm sure someone on here has some insight as to what happened. Or at least does anyone have any idea at all? Has he not practiced all spring?

Bison"FANatic"
04-25-2013, 02:24 AM
I'm sure someone on here has some insight as to what happened. Or at least does anyone have any idea at all? Has he not practiced all spring?

I am sure everyone here is going to clamor over their key board getting you information. You might want to stay up all night waiting for the info.

td577
04-25-2013, 02:47 AM

Hold on. I am looking it up.

BlueBisonRock
04-25-2013, 07:17 AM
Hold on. I am looking it up.

What the hell td, I've been waiting all night and a good part of the morning!

SamsRams
04-25-2013, 07:28 AM
^ditto!!!!

td577
04-25-2013, 12:07 PM
Still looking.

td577
04-25-2013, 12:08 PM
For anyone still waiting, it's just around the corner.

BlueBisonRock
04-25-2013, 08:37 PM
For anyone still waiting, it's just around the corner.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5c7gio7xq1qlw5nno1_400.gif

bri-dog
04-27-2013, 04:36 PM
Defense tackles video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=BGZS5ExVX5w

BadlandsBison
04-29-2013, 10:50 PM
Can't link from my phone, but check out ndsu defensive backs for spring practice on YouTube. Klieman really knows what he's doing...obviously. I feel like he is gonna get a big job next season and honestly I'm surprised he didn't this past winter. Minus Breske, Bohl has always had an impressive coach roster.

bri-dog
04-29-2013, 11:01 PM
Here is the link...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=uKKcfPCli6E

Tatanka
04-29-2013, 11:10 PM
Can't link from my phone, but check out ndsu defensive backs for spring practice on YouTube. Klieman really knows what he's doing...obviously. I feel like he is gonna get a big job next season and honestly I'm surprised he didn't this past winter. Minus Breske, Bohl has always had an impressive coach roster.This, and this.

Bison"FANatic"
04-29-2013, 11:26 PM
The thing that this spring practice told me is that we are set up to be a FCS program and not just a FCS team that had one good recruiting class and rode it for 4years. The cupboard will not be bare come next spring. Of course it's the Bison way to not settle for anything less.

SamsRams
04-29-2013, 11:27 PM
Here is the link...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=uKKcfPCli6E

cool to see klieman coaching up woods!!

perthbison
04-30-2013, 03:21 AM
Minus Breske, Bohl has always had an impressive coach roster.You're right. Funny thing is that Breske hasn't flopped at other places and always found another job.

EndZoneQB
04-30-2013, 03:34 AM
You're right. Funny thing is that Breske hasn't flopped at other places and always found another job.

I don't think he is a bad coach, I just don't think he was a good fit here...

sambini
04-30-2013, 04:41 AM
BRESKE defensive coordinator at Washington State?

westnodak93bison
05-02-2013, 02:02 AM
Looks like Pierce is gone for now per Kolpack's twitter. What is the deal with Riopelle?

bluebison35
05-03-2013, 08:01 PM
From family source, Riopelle has a chronic hip injury. It may end his career. Sounded like they moved him to DE.

tony
05-03-2013, 08:34 PM
Looks like Pierce is gone for now per Kolpack's twitter.

All I see is the "suspended indefinitely" tweet. Am I missing something?

MN_BISON
05-03-2013, 09:17 PM
Midco Sports spring football review:

http://www.midcosportsnet.com/videogallery/?region=CACB0BE7F8D3F76018BFDF24738450A6&youtube=P m_ZFf6Rgtc

Also clips on SDSU, USD and UN_.

westnodak93bison
05-03-2013, 11:17 PM

Probably not.

EndZoneQB
05-04-2013, 01:12 AM

Gone for "now" aka he's off the team...for now, but he could be back. That's how I took it...

westnodak93bison
05-04-2013, 03:20 AM
Gone for "now" aka he's off the team...for now, but he could be back. That's how I took it...

Winner winner chicken dinner

BisonNeil
05-04-2013, 02:23 PM

While technically correct, I don't recall a lot of players being suspended indefinitely making their way back. Ojuri may have been one of those, but the list is pretty short. Odds are against Pierce, IMO.

Too bad about Riopelle. Wasn't it a chronic hip injury that slowed Jemison?

westnodak93bison
05-04-2013, 02:29 PM
I would imagine "suspended indefinitely" means there are requirements to be met before reinstatement.

HooliganBison
05-04-2013, 09:29 PM
I would imagine "suspended indefinitely" means there are requirements to be met before reinstatement.

Im thinking academics.....just speculating with the end of the semester here.

Bison"FANatic"
05-06-2013, 06:51 PM
Im thinking academics.....just speculating with the end of the semester here.

Or it could have something to do with the Criminal Mischief and Disorderly conduct charges.

http://publicsearch.ndcourts.gov/Search.aspx?ID=100&NodeID=1%2c110%2c1118%2c1132%2c120%2c1203%2c1205%2 c1210%2c1225%2c1234%2c1235%2c1236%2c1238%2c1240%2c 1248%2c1250%2c210%2c2109%2c2146%2c2149%2c220%2c220 2%2c2211%2c2214%2c2216%2c2220%2c2223%2c2237%2c2239 %2c2241%2c2247%2c2252%2c310%2c3108%2c3115%2c3119%2 c3122%2c3124%2c3126%2c3128%2c3129%2c3130%2c3133%2c 3142%2c3143%2c320%2c3201%2c3204%2c3206%2c3213%2c32 17%2c3221%2c3244%2c3245%2c410%2c4107%2c4112%2c4127 %2c4131%2c4151%2c4153%2c9008%2c9036%2c9045%2c9019% 2c9018%2c9047%2c9108%2c9030%2c9051%2c900%2c9040%2c 9039%2c9009%2c9053%2c9002&NodeDesc=State+of+North+Dakota