PDA

View Full Version : Wish we could of had 1 more shot...

pike51
03-25-2013, 06:15 PM
Looks like Georgia Southern and App State will announce our moves to FBS on Wednesday. Would have been nice to have 1 more shot at you guys, possibly in our house.

Good luck to y'all and I wish you continued success. You're a quality program with a quality fan base and a very bright future.

CaBisonFan
03-25-2013, 06:17 PM
Looks like Georgia Southern and App State will announce our moves to FBS on Wednesday. Would have been nice to have 1 more shot at you guys, possibly in our house.

Good luck to y'all and I wish you continued success. You're a quality program with a quality fan base and a very bright future.

Effective when?

Professor Chaos
03-25-2013, 06:28 PM
Effective when?
I would assume that they'll join the Sun Belt in 2014 so they'll still compete at the FCS level next season but they'll be ineligible for the playoffs due to the timing of the announcement. I think if it would've happened after June 1st they still could've competed in the playoffs.

Hammerhead
03-25-2013, 06:32 PM
If both schools leave the FCS, that means Youngstown State will be the only active FCS participant with 3 FCS/I-AA titles, followed by NDSU, Montana & Eastern Kentucky as the only other multiple champions.

tcbison
03-25-2013, 06:32 PM

Well, you were 0-3 against NDSU and one game was in your house. If you wouldn't have bought out the home and home agreement a few years ago that could have given you another chance. Instead it just burned a bridge of ever getting another agreement in place.

Good luck in the Sun Belt conference.

pike51
03-25-2013, 07:03 PM
Effective when?

2013 FCS transition - no playoffs
2014 FBS transition - no bowl game
2015 full FBS member

TAILG8R
03-25-2013, 07:20 PM
2013 FCS transition - no playoffs
2014 FBS transition - no bowl game
2015 full FBS member - no bowl game

FIFY - You forgot one part ;)

Hammerhead
03-25-2013, 07:34 PM
2016 - Tampax Tulsa bowl in Tulsa Oklahoma? :)

FIFY - You forgot one part ;)

marenlee
03-25-2013, 07:45 PM
I'll be cheering on GS for the years to come. Helps they're in my backyard :) Hope they hit hard from day one and make an immediate impact.

NDSU1980
03-25-2013, 07:47 PM

Good luck to y'all and I wish you continued success. You're a quality program with a quality fan base and a very bright future.You could have had one more shot at us at the dome if you hadn't pussied out and bought the game out. Remember when that happened????

reformedUNDfan
03-25-2013, 08:08 PM
god get over it you would think we hadn't beat them 3 times in a row and won two titles.

TAILG8R
03-25-2013, 09:05 PM
god get over it you would think we hadn't beat them 3 times in a row and won two titles.

My post was genuinely in good fun. I would have to think though that a lot of posters on here have a hard time letting go of the fact that GSU, UNI, Montana etc fans kept telling us how NDSU was not going to be able to just walk into the FCS world and win. How full of ourselves we were for daring to post that NDSU's tradition would carry on into FCS and that NDSU was not afraid of any of the so called big bad teams. Every time NDSU's season ended we got to hear from these people. And now not a peep, sometimes the sound of silence is deafening.

NDSUstudent
03-25-2013, 09:22 PM
Good luck in the Belt GSU...sad to see two great FCS programs leaving. It is a big blow to our level of football.

NorthernBison
03-25-2013, 09:23 PM
My post was genuinely in good fun. I would have to think though that a lot of posters on here have a hard time letting go of the fact that GSU, UNI, Montana etc fans kept telling us how NDSU was not going to be able to just walk into the FCS world and win. How full of ourselves we were for daring to post that NDSU's tradition would carry on into FCS and that NDSU was not afraid of any of the so called big bad teams. Every time NDSU's season ended we got to hear from these people. And now not a peep, sometimes the sound of silence is deafening.

The silence from UNI fans is priceless. As for GSU and Montana, I can't really describe it but plenty of their fans have a lot of pride in their programs but can still give credit when it is due. They don't run and hide like the purple.

BisonNeil
03-25-2013, 10:39 PM
I would assume that they'll join the Sun Belt in 2014 so they'll still compete at the FCS level next season but they'll be ineligible for the playoffs due to the timing of the announcement. I think if it would've happened after June 1st they still could've competed in the playoffs.

I am not sure you are wrong, but I am not sure you are right either.

ODU announced they would join C-USA in May, 2012, prior to the June 1 type of deadline you cite, and they still made the playoffs.

However, they are not joining the C-USA until July 1, 2015.

So, a March announcement probably does not exclude either Appy or Geo S from the playoffs. However, if they are joining the Sun Belt in 2014 they probably will be excluded. ODU is excluded from the 2013 playoffs.

http://hamptonroads.com/2012/12/transition-fbs-takes-odu-uncharted-waters

NDSUstudent
03-25-2013, 10:41 PM
They are moving to the belt as soon as possible, thus they will not be eligible for the FCS playoffs in 2013.

Hammersmith
03-25-2013, 11:12 PM
I am not sure you are wrong, but I am not sure you are right either.

ODU announced they would join C-USA in May, 2012, prior to the June 1 type of deadline you cite, and they still made the playoffs.

However, they are not joining the C-USA until July 1, 2015.

So, a March announcement probably does not exclude either Appy or Geo S from the playoffs. However, if they are joining the Sun Belt in 2014 they probably will be excluded. ODU is excluded from the 2013 playoffs.

http://hamptonroads.com/2012/12/transition-fbs-takes-odu-uncharted-waters
It's all about when you submit paperwork to the NCAA. The moment they receive it, the school becomes ineligible for the playoffs. In ODU's case, they probably will submit their paperwork in April or May, though they may have submitted it as soon as the playoffs were over for them.

OrygunBison
03-25-2013, 11:40 PM
2016 - Tampax Tulsa bowl in Tulsa Oklahoma? :) I thought the Tampax Bowl was in Cheney.

BisonNation11
03-25-2013, 11:49 PM
I thought the Tampax Bowl was in Cheney.

I wish it was. That way the turf would have never been stained...

HandoEX
03-26-2013, 12:01 AM
"Could of had"? I hope they have lower admission standards in the Sun Belt for your sake!

CaBisonFan
03-26-2013, 12:06 AM
"Could of had"? I hope they have lower admission standards in the Sun Belt for your sake!

...wouldn't be excepted...

BadlandsBison
03-26-2013, 12:16 AM
Gsu was on my play-off wish list for next season (among others too!) but it sure seems like they wanted out of the fcs as ASAP.

Still, what's considered as success? They would be hard pressed to reach Georgia Tech's level whom hasn't been to a bcs bowl game, at least to my knowledge.

It would be nice to know what's gonna happen with all of the realignment bs. Moving up is an expensive risk, but who knows what the reward will be.

reformedUNDfan
03-26-2013, 01:12 AM
Still, what's considered as success? They would be hard pressed to reach Georgia Tech's level whom hasn't been to a bcs bowl game, at least to my knowledge.

GT played iowa in the orange bowl a few years ago

BadlandsBison
03-26-2013, 01:29 AM
GT played iowa in the orange bowl a few years ago

Good catch. I went and checked, GT is 4-10 in bowl games since the new millennium. I compare gt and gsu because 1) they are in the same state (obviously) and 2) they run the same offensive system with "southern speed"

So even with players like Calvin Johnson, 1 bsc game in at least 14 tries.

MAKBison
03-26-2013, 02:11 AM
now they get to hear about how all of the Championships are irreverent. I guess that is how the cycle works

BisonTeacher
03-26-2013, 02:15 AM
Gsu was on my play-off wish list for next season (among others too!) but it sure seems like they wanted out of the fcs as ASAP.

It would be nice to know what's gonna happen with all of the realignment bs. Moving up is an expensive risk, but who knows what the reward will be.

Ive heard the reward is "national exposure"

Bison bison
03-26-2013, 03:14 AM
they would have been better off streaking at a braves game.

westnodak93bison
03-26-2013, 01:19 PM
pike, GSU had their shot. We were minus two of our top defensive players and we still won.

Bison"FANatic"
03-26-2013, 02:35 PM
So last night I get a call for my wife and the girl that called is fundraising for a organization and says she is currently going to Georgia Southern. Oh did I give her some crap before I handed the phone off to my wife. My wife gets off the phone and gives me crap saying you talked to her longer than I did. On a side note, man do I love that Georgia drawl just made her sound cute.

pike51
03-26-2013, 02:44 PM
pike, GSU had their shot. We were minus two of our top defensive players and we still won.

You are correct, I do not deny that. But the games with y'all and ODU are some of the best football I've ever seen. I'm simply stating that I wish they could continue on a regular basis. We had the same sort of thing with Montana and YSU in the 90's. I always looked forward to playing them in the playoffs. It's a respect thing and many of you just don't see it. Apparently you haven't quite thawed out yet. :)

Binford30
03-26-2013, 02:46 PM
Good luck to GS. Was hoping for one more game against the eagles at the dome.

Bison"FANatic"
03-26-2013, 02:53 PM
Y It's a respect thing and many of you just don't see it.

Sometimes its hard for some to recognize respect when we were disrespected so much before the last 2 years. Respect needs to be earned and I am happy we were able to earn yours. Those two GSU games were some of the most fun I have had in the dome.

BisonTeacher
03-26-2013, 03:21 PM
Hey dickhead, I was simply sharing some information with a school I've grown to respect more than many we've played in the past. I've developed friendships here with several posters and hope they continue. If you didn't like it, then you shouldn't have clicked on the thread. Now GFY!.

Lighten up Francis!

Youve taken shots at us from time to time. You need to be able to get one back. Relax. Or GFY! :-)

IBleedYellow
03-26-2013, 03:29 PM
You are correct, I do not deny that. But the games with y'all and ODU are some of the best football I've ever seen. I'm simply stating that I wish they could continue on a regular basis. We had the same sort of thing with Montana and YSU in the 90's. I always looked forward to playing them in the playoffs. It's a respect thing and many of you just don't see it. Apparently you haven't quite thawed out yet. :)

I understand that you respect us, but many from your school still prefer to say our wins over you guys were flukes. I was really starting to like the rivalry we were starting to acquire aswell. Shame it has to come to an end.

westnodak93bison
03-26-2013, 04:05 PM

There is nothing preventing gsu from making good on the buy out game. Maybe you could relay the message to your AD.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

MankatoBison
03-26-2013, 05:38 PM
Hey dickhead, I was simply sharing some information with a school I've grown to respect more than many we've played in the past. I've developed friendships here with several posters and hope they continue. If you didn't like it, then you shouldn't have clicked on the thread. Now GFY!

Otherwise, thanks for the well wishes. Buying out the game wasn't my choice and was made by our previous administration. Personally, I thought it was a shitty move on our part but it's in the past and won't be the last thing I disagree with. I take no offense to any of those comments because I know they are in jest. NDSU has gotten the better of GSU, we can't deny that. Not many schools can say that so it's a big accomplishment (IMO). Hopefully, you guys will be in a position to make the jump one day and we can see you in a bowl game. Just not the Tampax Bowl over at EWU's field... I'm thinking more like the future FBS playoffs. :)

Good luck y'all.
I like this post haha. wish you guys could stay in FCS with us until an FBS playoff system is created. Good Luck Bruthas!

HerdBot
03-26-2013, 06:01 PM
Good luck GSU. We were building a great rivalry and I am sad to see it end. At first the programs knew very little about each other but we educated each other and there is mutual respect on both sides. Very similar programs. I think you guys will do very well in the FBS. Hopefully some day we meet again.

mnriverbison
03-26-2013, 06:57 PM
Man the bitching and whining about "some of your fans say..." or "remember when YOU (personally, each one of their fans personally bought out of the game) bought out of the NDSU game". It's embarrassing. This guy has been cool here.

Respect does go both ways, but it isn't inherited by his team, fellow fans, or even fellow Georgians. It's like some of you would be surprised to learn that people associated with NDSU athletics have ever been douches before. Grow up.

tony
03-27-2013, 04:45 PM
I moved a side discussion here: http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?30163-Volunteer-moderation

Note to wannabe moderators: In the future, please PM me with your suggestions but keep in mind that this forum is not a news feed. If that's what you want, go to https://twitter.com/NDSUAthletics

Carry on, muchachos!

BisonNeil
03-28-2013, 12:17 AM

The only team on my playoff wish list is Montana State.

T-Funk
03-28-2013, 12:34 AM

When news broke that Georgia Southern won't be eligible for the playoffs this year, I wondered who Brock Jensen will run over on 4th and 3 this year. I think I found my answer. :biggrin:

BisonNation11
03-28-2013, 01:04 AM
When news broke that Georgia Southern won't be eligible for the playoffs this year, I wondered who Brock Jensen will run over on 4th and 3 this year. I think I found my answer. :biggrin:

That's giving Montana State too much credit. We all know they can't make it past the quarterfinals.

1998braves64
03-28-2013, 02:21 AM

++++

especially considering that great home game turned into an east coast road game... NDSU players will take that to heart if they end up in the Fargodome for playoffs

dewey
03-28-2013, 03:43 AM

Good post pike! I will miss seeing GSU in FCS and watching the scores on Saturday to see how you guys are doing. Good luck to you and ASU in the FBS!

Dewey

BadlandsBison
03-28-2013, 03:52 AM
So what are the chances a Big Skirt team makes the championship now? :)

Watch out for sam houston again?

mnriverbison
03-28-2013, 05:53 PM
This sucks man. When elite FCS programs go away it waters down the field. There is really no denying that. I believe that NDSU always should be in the 2nd division of football. The sad thing is that you could say that about many of the teams in FBS. It would be great if they would see the light after the BCS conference madness and join in. That would really be cool if FCS was the home of all non-BCS schools. Just a shame that so many schools get stars in their eyes.

Bisonator98
03-28-2013, 06:50 PM
This sucks man. When elite FCS programs go away it waters down the field. There is really no denying that. I believe that NDSU always should be in the 2nd division of football. The sad thing is that you could say that about many of the teams in FBS. It would be great if they would see the light after the BCS conference madness and join in. That would really be cool if FCS was the home of all non-BCS schools. Just a shame that so many schools get stars in their eyes.

What's sad is the TV networks can't see that this level of football is just as good if not better then most of the lower tier FBS! If their was more publicity and coverage for FCS fewer schools would feel the need to move.

Hammerhead
03-28-2013, 07:03 PM
Zero if they continue to be on the same side of the bracket as SHSU again. :)

So what are the chances a Big Skirt team makes the championship now? :)

Watch out for sam houston again?

mnriverbison
03-28-2013, 08:46 PM
What's sad is the TV networks can't see that this level of football is just as good if not better then most of the lower tier FBS! If their was more publicity and coverage for FCS fewer schools would feel the need to move.

It isn't about quality of football really. Is a prime FCS matchup more fun to watch than a garbage FBS? Of course. But quality of the game isn't why people watch college sports. Lower-tier BCS schools have not only massive alum networks but also massive rival alum networks and other semi-interested parties.

How this helps the GSUs of the world I can't say, but surely that is why a bottom-feeder BCS game gets airtime vs a garden variety FCS matchup.

DjKyRo
03-28-2013, 09:18 PM

I'd rather not see their "padd our regular season so we can ease into the playoffs" strategy pay off. Their punk move hurt the entirety of the FCS and denies the subdivision a chance to boast a real marquee game, and they should stew for it.

Myself, I'd like to see a few teams we haven't played yet that have had past success. Delaware or a few other CAA teams. Absolutely would love to humiliate EWU and their sophomore QB is going to be a beast if their playoff game vs. SHSU was any indication. While I hope and believe UND doesn't sniff the playoffs, playing (and beating) them with the season on the line would be epic.

Bison06
03-28-2013, 10:19 PM
It isn't about quality of football really. Is a prime FCS matchup more fun to watch than a garbage FBS? Of course. But quality of the game isn't why people watch college sports. Lower-tier BCS schools have not only massive alum networks but also massive rival alum networks and other semi-interested parties.

How this helps the GSUs of the world I can't say, but surely that is why a bottom-feeder BCS game gets airtime vs a garden variety FCS matchup.

I've never really understood that argument. Being FBS doesn't mean you are a "Big" school or have a large base of alumni. NDSU is larger than many FBS schools and has a larger more loyal fanbase.

Herd
03-29-2013, 12:48 AM
One more shot? You could have, you bought it out though.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
03-29-2013, 02:19 AM
We can still play each other. In the future, we could schedule Appy or GSU as our FBS game.

BisonTeacher
03-29-2013, 04:15 AM
We can still play each other. In the future, we could schedule Appy or GSU as our FBS game.

We could, but GSU would probably schedule it and then back out.

BisonEngrGirl
03-29-2013, 04:54 AM
I've never really understood that argument. Being FBS doesn't mean you are a "Big" school or have a large base of alumni. NDSU is larger than many FBS schools and has a larger more loyal fanbase.

^^^this^^^

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Tapatalk 2

onbison09
03-29-2013, 01:24 PM

I go to a Sun Belt and school and all I can say is THIS

Hammerhead
03-29-2013, 02:07 PM
In 2011, the Sun Belt conference had an average attendance of 19,193 which was an all-time high yet they were still 2nd to last in the FBS.
http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/football_records/Attendance/2011.pdf

NDSU averaged 18,143 fans in 2011, The MVFC average attendance was only 11,824

Bison06
03-30-2013, 01:06 PM
In 2011, the Sun Belt conference had an average attendance of 19,193 which was an all-time high yet they were still 2nd to last in the FBS.

Not really understanding what a conferences average attendance has to do with this conversation. Show each schools attendance separately and you'd get a better idea of where ndsu would fit in. With the average where you say it is, ndsu would likely be middle of the pack.

Professor Chaos
04-02-2013, 02:35 AM
Georgia Southern is trying to sell the "more exposure and higher ceiling" argument as justification for going FBS but the truth is the only reason they're moving up is because they know that Colton Heagle is coming back healthy next year.

tony
04-02-2013, 05:08 PM

Self-reported 40 times, self-reported attendance numbers, which is more accurate? My money is on self-reported 40 times. Most 40 times are only off by 5% at most. I'd bet a root beer that MAC and Sun Belt attendance figures are off by around 40% on average.

BisonNeil
04-15-2013, 06:00 PM
Somebody should tell this bozo NDSU can't simply "move up". He clearly doesn't understand that in FBS a conference has to invite you.

As for me, I have yet to hear an intelligent and rationale train of thought as to which FBS conference realistically would want a geographically isolated NDSU.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/396488/

DjKyRo
04-15-2013, 06:06 PM
Somebody should tell this bozo NDSU can't simply "move up". He clearly doesn't understand that in FBS a conference has to invite you.

As for me, I have yet to hear an intelligent and rationale train of thought as to which FBS conference realistically would want a geographically isolated NDSU.

1. Doesn't know the name of our subdivsion
2. Name-drops NCC.

Sounds about right.

Bison Dan
04-15-2013, 06:06 PM

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/396488/Yeah kind of sad he's that uninformed.

IBleedYellow
04-15-2013, 06:12 PM

I'd say he was living in the past, but considering he doesn't even know what our current sub-division is called I'll say he's just blowing smoke out of his ass.

BisonNation11
04-15-2013, 06:31 PM
I'd say he was living in the past, but considering he doesn't even know what our current sub-division is called I'll say he's just blowing smoke out of his ass.

I think the smoke went to his head... Although it's nice to see someone on EZ's and Longhorn's side with such intelligent thoughts without referencing the MW. :biggrin:

Bisonwinagn
04-16-2013, 02:30 AM

The Big 12 should want NDSU to add to the "red river rivalry". How fun would that be.

GSUsTALON
04-16-2013, 12:46 PM
If Pike is right it makes me very upset that we will not get to play the 2x consecutive winner of the FCS Championship. It is not a fitting end for GSU to just win the SoCon this year. We needed to be tested against the undisputed best which at this time is NDSU.

That said, I see the Bison as the team to beat for the FCS Championship for years to come. As GSU was from 1985 – 2000, NDSU will wrap their strong arm against the throats of the FCS in a choke hold and squeeze the juice from their heads.

PARTY ON BISON

TALON

BisonNeil
04-16-2013, 05:26 PM
NDSU will wrap their strong arm against the throats of the FCS in a choke hold and squeeze the juice from their heads.

PARTY ON BISON

TALON

God I love a good belly laugh at lunchtime. Thank you for those pithy comments!

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
04-18-2013, 12:26 AM

And yet the Forum puts it in print. :facepalm:

Herd
04-18-2013, 02:08 PM
Wow . . . I am clearly dumber for having read that article. Very clueless.

Everytime I read an article or post where someone says, "wouldn't it be great if these FCS teams all moved up together and started a new conference", I just shake my head. These Cum-ba-ya leagues ideas, where we sit in a circle and join hands to move FBS together, show how little some people understand the situation.

This artilcle should have been edited out, clearly some at the forum don't understand either, or they get a chuckle when printing stupid stuff.

Vitojr130
04-20-2013, 12:11 AM
If Pike is right it makes me very upset that we will not get to play the 2x consecutive winner of the FCS Championship. It is not a fitting end for GSU to just win the SoCon this year. We needed to be tested against the undisputed best which at this time is NDSU.

That said, I see the Bison as the team to beat for the FCS Championship for years to come. As GSU was from 1985 – 2000, NDSU will wrap their strong arm against the throats of the FCS in a choke hold and squeeze the juice from their heads.

PARTY ON BISON

TALON

Yeah, I'm going to miss playing GSU. That last game was one of the best games of football I have ever witnessed in my life. It's sad to think talent like that is leeching out of the FCS, but I can't help but wish you nothing but the best at FBS.

Scooter1
04-30-2013, 10:37 PM
So I'm stuck in Georgia for two weeks for work... I'm about an hour and a half from Statesburo. I'm seriously considering planting a Bison flag.:biggrin:

westnodak93bison
04-30-2013, 10:44 PM
So I'm stuck in Georgia for two weeks for work... I'm about an hour and a half from Statesburo. I'm seriously considering planting a Bison flag.:biggrin:

I double dog dare you. :D

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

BlueBisonRock
04-30-2013, 11:42 PM

Go for it. That Photo would garner more rep than any other post on BV. And, you may put yourself in the rep point money if you hit the top three.

SamsRams
05-01-2013, 12:02 AM

I got half your bail money

BisonTeacher
05-01-2013, 01:10 AM
Do it by the statue of their old coach. Oh wait thats already been done. Sure wish domeone would post that photo they texted me from statesboro

BisonNation11
05-01-2013, 03:26 AM

Rep points, a case of beer, and some Bison memorabilia that you don't already have!