PDA

View Full Version : Down goes Tubby!

IBleedYellow
03-25-2013, 04:56 PM
Tubby Smith is gone!

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/21948116/tubby-smith-out-at-minnesota

tcbison
03-25-2013, 05:00 PM
For selfish reason I was hoping the Tubby got one more year because I think NDSU could have beaten the Gophers next year with Tubby as coach. Will be interesting to see who the Gophers can get to coach them.

NDSUstudent
03-25-2013, 05:08 PM
Wow I thought he bought himself another year...I think the Gophers hire Flip or Smart. There is no way they fired Tubby without having a new coach ready to step in.

HoopsBison
03-25-2013, 05:23 PM
I would be shocked as hell if Shaka Smart left for Minnesota. He has already established himself as one of the best young coaches in America, no way he goes to Loserville USA even if it is a big 10 team and has ties to the AD.

If Smart is willing to go to Minnesota, the Gophers needs to pay him whatever he wants and get it done. Dude can flat out coach, again I think there is no chance.

BisonTeacher
03-25-2013, 05:32 PM
Wow I thought he bought himself another year...I think the Gophers hire Flip or Smart. There is no way they fired Tubby without having a new coach ready to step in.

I was thinking the same thing. My counter -argument to firing tubby has always been ...who else are you going to get? If it isnt one of those two, they could be making a mistake by firing him. Having said that...I finally started agreeing this year that it may be time for him to go. Too much inconsistency with too much talent. That's all coaching. And Ive always hated his offense.

MNLonghorn10
03-25-2013, 05:37 PM
http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2013-03-25/tubby-smith-fired-minnesota-gophers-shaka-smart-vcu-ncaa-tournament

shaka! shaka! shaka!

Could you imagine LA tryin to break the HAVOC?

yikes

gotts
03-25-2013, 05:47 PM
If they get Flip, I hear there's a decent chance Tyus Jones, Rashad Vaughn, and Reid Travis could commit to Minnesota...

Keeping recruits in state would be rather refreshing for this program... and three top 40 recruits, including two top 10 could be a program changer.

MNLonghorn10
03-25-2013, 05:56 PM
they have to get Jones...we've been hearing about him since 8th grade

gotts
03-25-2013, 05:57 PM
they have to get Jones...we've been hearing about him since 8th grade

You have to figure the allure of a coach with NBA connections would have to be tempting for these highly ranked kids.

HoopsBison
03-25-2013, 06:00 PM
Other coaches who may or may not be good fits...

Fred Hoiberg- Not sure he would leave his al mater but he is loved in Minnesota and has ties. Also could be pursued by NBA teams if an opening comes.

Gregg Marshall- Done great things at Wichita State.

Josh Pastner- Currently coaching at Memphis, bright young coach who is an excellent recruiter.

westnodak93bison
03-25-2013, 06:10 PM
Other coaches who may or may not be good fits...

Fred Hoiberg- Not sure he would leave his al mater but he is loved in Minnesota and has ties. Also could be pursued by NBA teams if an opening comes.

Gregg Marshall- Done great things at Wichita State.

Josh Pastner- Currently coaching at Memphis, bright young coach who is an excellent recruiter.

Why would a coach down grade from Memphis, Wichita St, or Iowa St to the Goophers? If the are looking for a pay raise wouldn't they also want to coach at a better basketball program? Tubby went to MN to avoid pressure and expectations.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

NDSUstudent
03-25-2013, 06:24 PM
MN hired a basketball focused AD. The old expectations are out of the window now.

It is a great job....way better than Memphis or Wichita State. I don't see Freddy leaving his alma mater though.

MNLonghorn10
03-25-2013, 06:39 PM
Why would a coach down grade from Memphis, Wichita St, or Iowa St to the Goophers? If the are looking for a pay raise wouldn't they also want to coach at a better basketball program? Tubby went to MN to avoid pressure and expectations.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Do you honestly think to yourself Wichita St is a better gig than Minnesota?

Memphis is a bball school, and Im a fan of Pastner. Itd probably be a lateral move, but maybe one where he could land himself a better gig if he turned around Minnesota...Memphis was already laid out for him(with sanctions) but hes still doing well there.

ndsubison1
03-25-2013, 06:48 PM

if shaka didnt go to illinois i dotn see him goign to minnesota.

kinda funny how he wins his first ncaa tournament game with them and he gets canned. he did underachieve in conference though. my prediction was that they would wait because the total buyout was over 6 million.

Hammerhead
03-25-2013, 06:53 PM
There are 4 B1G teams in the sweet 19 and I think there could even be an all B1G final four.

Would the Saul haters prefer Tubby?

imabison
03-25-2013, 06:53 PM
With purple font if I could......

Saul to the Gophers Tubby to the Bison....

getter done... purple purple :)

BisonTeacher
03-25-2013, 07:24 PM
If they get Flip, I hear there's a decent chance Tyus Jones, Rashad Vaughn, and Reid Travis could commit to Minnesota...

Keeping recruits in state would be rather refreshing for this program... and three top 40 recruits, including two top 10 could be a program changer.

Thats interesting, because apparently Flip was sitting with Izzo saturday night watching Tyus.

roadwarrior
03-25-2013, 07:31 PM
Buyout will cost the Gophers over $3 million!

gotts
03-25-2013, 07:33 PM
Thats interesting, because apparently Flip was sitting with Izzo saturday night watching Tyus.

Recent news had Jones eliminating North Carolina, he's down to 7 schools now: Minnesota, Michigan State, Kansas, Kentucky, Duke, Baylor, and Ohio State.

bisonmike2
03-25-2013, 08:22 PM
Recent news had Jones eliminating North Carolina, he's down to 7 schools now: Minnesota, Michigan State, Kansas, Kentucky, Duke, Baylor, and Ohio State.

He's only saying Minnesota so he doesn't get some crazy fan to egg his house or worse every night until signing day. No way he signs with Minnesota. Well, there might be a .01% chance now that Tubby is gone but with Tubby as coach it was a solid 0.0%.

NDSUstudent
03-25-2013, 08:32 PM
Sid Hartman....asking a question to the Gopher AD at the Tubby press conference....

"How do you know you'll get the #1 guy? Jerry Kill was the #5 guy. 4 football coaches turned them down. I don't know what number YOU WERE! What makes you think you'll get a #1 guy!"

BisonVifte
03-25-2013, 08:37 PM

Leaning towards Duke.

silkamilkamonico
03-25-2013, 08:54 PM
I'm not sure Minnesota is a better gig than some of the Mid-Major schools out there being talked about, like Memphis.

Shaka Smart turned down Illinois last year, which is a significantly better job than Minnesota. I don't see him as even a possibility.

IMHO, Minnesota is not going to get anywhere close to the guy they want. It's not an ideal job, the facilities I hear are terrible (although I don't know for sure), they cannot even keep the best in state kids.

jmho.

BisonVifte
03-25-2013, 08:56 PM
Smart could go to UCLA

NDSUstudent
03-25-2013, 09:07 PM
MN needs a practice facilitly badly. The Barn is nice enough but you gotta have a practice facility/locker room/players lounge in this day and age.

MN's AD went to school at UNC...the associate AD also went to UNC and worked for Dean Smith...both came to MN from a basketball school(VCU). I'd say MN is about to make a huge push to being a player in college basketball.

Tubby came to MN because expectations weren't the same as UK, but with the new administration at MN those expectations have changed greatly.

bisonmike2
03-25-2013, 09:19 PM
I'm not sure Minnesota is a better gig than some of the Mid-Major schools out there being talked about, like Memphis.

Shaka Smart turned down Illinois last year, which is a significantly better job than Minnesota. I don't see him as even a possibility.

IMHO, Minnesota is not going to get anywhere close to the guy they want. It's not an ideal job, the facilities I hear are terrible (although I don't know for sure), they cannot even keep the best in state kids.

jmho.

The facilities wouldn't be so bad if instead of paying millions for coaches to not coach for them they used it to build a practice facility.

BisonAccountant44
03-25-2013, 09:31 PM
I think that Flip is option 1-http://upload.wikimedia.org/math/d/2/4/d245777abca64ece2d5d7ca0d19fddb6.png. If Teague didn't have a history with Shaka he wouldn't even be in the conversation. I can't believe that there is really anyone in the state of MN that is naive enough to think he'll leave VCU for the UoM when IL and everyother school that's made a run at him has failed at getting him to leave Richmond.

Bisonwinagn
03-26-2013, 01:39 AM
I think that Flip is option 1-http://upload.wikimedia.org/math/d/2/4/d245777abca64ece2d5d7ca0d19fddb6.png. If Teague didn't have a history with Shaka he wouldn't even be in the conversation. I can't believe that there is really anyone in the state of MN that is naive enough to think he'll leave VCU for the UoM when IL and everyother school that's made a run at him has failed at getting him to leave Richmond.

Because it's the Big ten and there are only 14 jobs available in the best conference in the country...and he has a relationship with the AD...and no IL is not a better than the UofM.

NDSUstudent
03-26-2013, 04:22 AM
I think MN will hire a good coach....the school has perhaps the most tuned in associate AD in the country when it comes to the coaching community...

"Mike Ellis has been instrumental in connecting potential head coaches with their future employers," VCU head coach Shaka Smart told CBSSports.com. "More so than any search firm. Aided by the tremendous support of Nike, Mike has made Villa 7 one of the premiere professional development opportunities in our business."

"Where do you get an intimate setting for an AD to really know who you are?" Syracuse coach-in-waiting Mike Hopkins said. "That is what this provides."

The project is now heading into its 10th year -- and more than 90 coaches who have been involved have gotten head jobs. We're talking guys like Shaka Smart (VCU), Buzz Williams (Marquette), Josh Pastner (Memphis), Chris Mack (Xavier), John Groce (Illinois), Archie Miller (Dayton), Paul Lusk (Missouri State), Ed Cooley (Providence), Anthony Grant (Alabama), Dave Rice (UNLV), Dan Muller (Illinois State), Pat Skerry (Towson) and numerous women's coaches as well.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/19896680/vcus-mike-ellis-expected-to-take-villa-7-with-him-to-minnesota

ndsubison1
03-26-2013, 04:46 AM
Because it's the Big ten and there are only 14 jobs available in the best conference in the country...and he has a relationship with the AD...and no IL is not a better than the UofM.

i disagree and agree with Silk. Illinois has more resources and the program has been more stable, along with better facilities

silkamilkamonico
03-26-2013, 05:32 AM

Would you rather recruit minnesota, and choose from the handful of kids that can even play at a high major level every year, or recruit the inner city of chicago which pumps out top 20 bluechip talent every single year?

From a talent pool alone illinois is a better job, and that doesnt even delve into the history ans tradition is much better at illinois than it is at minnesota. Your talking about the 13th ranked program in alltime wins against the 49th, and that doesnt even compare the ncaa tournament, where illinois has almost 40 wins and minnesota has like 7 total wins.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Bison"FANatic"
03-26-2013, 03:59 PM
Illinois also has this:

http://www.athletics.illinois.edu/facilities/facilities/ubben/

EagleBison
03-26-2013, 05:08 PM
Norwood Teague and Sr Assoc AD Ellis are the founders of Villa 7, a program developed to promote assistant coaches. 59 coaches that have taken part have moved from assistant to head coach. Teague has a relationship with many of these coaches, including Smart. It sounds like they have a short list as they do not have a search committee. They could announce by next Monday if all falls into place.

Heard on the radio this morning the total buyout is around $3.5 Million, including assistant coaches. Said to be paid for by the big buck boosters.

ndsubison1
03-26-2013, 06:01 PM
Norwood Teague and Sr Assoc AD Ellis are the founders of Villa 7, a program developed to promote assistant coaches. 59 coaches that have taken part have moved from assistant to head coach. Teague has a relationship with many of these coaches, including Smart. It sounds like they have a short list as they do not have a search committee. They could announce by next Monday if all falls into place.

Heard on the radio this morning the total buyout is around $3.5 Million, including assistant coaches. Said to be paid for by the big buck boosters.

buyout + severance to assistants + buyout of new coaches contract + at least 2 mil for new coach

EagleBison
03-26-2013, 06:15 PM
buyout + severance to assistants + buyout of new coaches contract + at least 2 mil for new coach

The new coach money was not included in the buyout at $3.5. Smith's contract paid around $2 million, so that is a push, not extra money.

ndsubison1
03-26-2013, 06:39 PM
The new coach money was not included in the buyout at $3.5. Smith's contract paid around $2 million, so that is a push, not extra money.

i know I'm talking about what they have to pay in full

sambini
03-26-2013, 11:26 PM
Flip Saunders does he want this job if offered?

unbison
03-26-2013, 11:58 PM
Flip Saunders does he want this job if offered?

I doubt he is in the market he is in a group that is trying to by the tpups.... As far as cost Ming it's 3.5 the 2 mil if they don't pay more was already there

NDSUstudent
03-27-2013, 12:04 AM
The guy who was right about Tubby getting canned seems to think the Gophers will hire Florida Gulf Coasts's coach.

X-Factor
03-27-2013, 12:13 AM
I wonder where Saul fits into the mix? Easy top 5 IMO

HoopsBison
03-27-2013, 12:46 AM
My guess is Saul will be named the next coach of the Gophers by the end of this week. If that's the case we should just let Coach Dehoff coach both the men's and women's team...

NDSUstudent
03-27-2013, 02:43 AM
I wonder where Saul fits into the mix? Easy top 5 IMO

Well I guess he is on Myron Medcalf's radar...

Anthony Grant would be a great hire at MN. … Minnesota’s Shaka Smart (off the grid) hire would be former UW asst./NDSU coach Saul Phillips.

https://twitter.com/MedcalfByESPN/status/316727339931279361

EagleBison
03-27-2013, 02:10 PM
Today's rumor on talk radio is Shaka Smart is in Minneapolis, ready to sign a 7 year 3.3 Million per year deal with Minnesota.

MNLonghorn10
03-27-2013, 02:58 PM
Today's rumor on talk radio is Shaka Smart is in Minneapolis, ready to sign a 7 year 3.3 Million per year deal with Minnesota.

That would be the home run the entire athletic dept needs...especially with the upcoming recruiting class is littered with nationally rankes minnesota talent

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

HandoEX
03-27-2013, 03:09 PM
Wow, fantastic get! Go Gophers!!!

EagleBison
03-27-2013, 03:27 PM
Also rumors of Shaka having breakfast at VCU :facepalm2:

EagleBison
03-28-2013, 10:45 PM
Top of the rumor list today is Fred Hoiberg from Iowa State. Good Luck Gophs!

EagleBison
04-03-2013, 09:05 PM
Richard Pitino will be announced as the new Gophers coach tomorrow. Third dip into the Billy Donovan coaching tree for Norwood Teague, Anthony Grant VCU, Shaka Smart VCU and now Pitino. Pitino turned around the Isiah Thomas mess at FIU.

ESPN 1500 (http://www.1500espn.com/)

EndZoneQB
04-03-2013, 09:12 PM
Richard Pitino will be announced as the new Gophers coach tomorrow. Third dip into the Billy Donovan coaching tree for Norwood Teague, Anthony Grant VCU, Shaka Smart VCU and now Pitino. Pitino turned around the Isiah Thomas mess at FIU.

ESPN 1500 (http://www.1500espn.com/)

In one year with 3 scholarship players and 2 walk-ons starting. I'm interested to see what he can do with BigTen talent. I hope it's enough for Tyus Jones but I'm assuming it is not...

MNLonghorn10
04-03-2013, 10:09 PM
damn. I wanted them to get Mike Rice

sambini
04-03-2013, 10:31 PM
Lil Pitino hmmm....

bisonmike2
04-10-2013, 08:12 PM
Patino has started hiring his assistants. I see one of them has a record for possession of marijuana in 1999. At first I was like, "Dude probably got busted smoking a joint at a fraternity party." Nope. He got busted with 96 pounds of it. 96 pounds of weed! What was he doing with 96 pounds of weed? He must have been inspired by the movie Half Baked which I think came out around that time.

Young was convicted in 1999 of felony possession of marijuana, which was confirmed through a court document search and was written about here. In that story, from 2005, it says Young was arrested for possession of 96 pounds of marijuana.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/202374771.html

WYOBISONMAN
04-11-2013, 12:13 AM
I think Norwood will be a shit show and a failure as AD at Minnesota.

unbison
04-11-2013, 12:28 AM
Of course you do

steelbison
04-12-2013, 01:09 PM

Based on??? Couldn't possibly be worse than Maturi.

How about we actually give him more than a few months to decide...

sambini
04-14-2013, 12:57 PM
I see one of Coach Miles assistants Ben Johnson is leaving. Going back to his alma mater Minnesota to work for Pitino.