PDA

View Full Version : Starting C?

Herd12
03-14-2013, 02:10 PM
We are pretty established at every position on offense, with the exception being the interior line (I think Haeg sticks at RT). Who do you guys see as the starting C? Colville? Z Johnson? Hinz?

Vitojr130
03-14-2013, 04:26 PM
We are pretty established at every position on offense, with the exception being the interior line (I think Haeg sticks at RT). Who do you guys see as the starting C? Colville? Z Johnson? Hinz?

Schueller. ?

HandoEX
03-14-2013, 04:50 PM
Schueller. ?
This ^

westnodak93bison
03-14-2013, 05:37 PM
I'll say Colville or Gimmestad move to C and Zack Johnson plays guard.

344Johnson
03-14-2013, 05:42 PM
I was thinking Hinz.

56BISON73
03-14-2013, 05:54 PM
I think Hinz.

tcbison
03-14-2013, 06:35 PM
Competition is a good thing. If Hinz is healthy(and I have no reason to believe he is not) I would think he would be the man at C.

344Johnson
03-14-2013, 06:44 PM
Competition is a good thing. If Hinz is healthy(and I have no reason to believe he is not) I would think he would be the man at C.

This will be his junior season following that pectoral injury correct?

reformedUNDfan
03-14-2013, 11:07 PM
This will be his junior season following that pectoral injury correct?

as far as i can tell, yes.

BisonNeil
03-18-2013, 02:55 PM
I think Hinz will be the center, a perfect size and height in my opinion. Colville would be also, Johnson might be a bit tall for the Bison prototype C.

I also expect Plankers to challenge Haeg this spring, although Haeg certainly has an advantage having started 15 games, but I keep hearing Plankers is an animal in the weight room and has worked really hard in winter workouts. He appears to be a driven man.

The competition on the OL will be fun to watch over the next 12 months leading into next spring ball when there are a few more positions up for grabs. I think the Bison will be very well situtated at this position for years to come.

Herd
03-18-2013, 04:30 PM
LT Turner Plank
LG Gimme Schueler
C Hinz Coville
RG Johnson Coville
RT Haeg Pomerenke Lesar

Hopefully Haeg and Coville will check in around 300/290 repectively in September. I see the center position as Open with Hinz, Coville and Schueler as candidates. I'd be grooming Plankers behind Turner for 2014, unless he's the best candidate for the RT position right now. A Freshman or two could push also.

reformedUNDfan
03-18-2013, 04:55 PM
LT Turner Plank
LG Gimme Schueler
C Hinz Coville
RG Johnson Coville
RT Haeg Pomerenke Lesar

Hopefully Haeg and Coville will check in around 300/290 repectively in September. I see the center position as Open with Hinz, Coville and Schueler as candidates. I'd be grooming Plankers behind Turner for 2014, unless he's the best candidate for the RT position right now. A Freshman or two could push also.

i think the expectation/hype is for plankers to challenge at RT, just as johnson will challenge at guard. Line will be loaded next year regardless. The real question is can we have another rimmington winner?

BisonNeil
03-18-2013, 04:55 PM
LT Turner Plank
LG Gimme Schueler
C Hinz Coville
RG Johnson Coville
RT Haeg Pomerenke Lesar

Interesting depth chart. I don't see Colville getting beat out for RG unless he becomes the center. He made the all-conference freshman squad, didn't he? He had a terrific championship game, he and Turner really moved some people in the second half. Johnson is good, I just don't see him moving him out.

reformedUNDfan
03-18-2013, 04:58 PM
while we're at it, would someone mind explaining what you look for in a guard as opposed to a tackle or center?

IowaBisonToo
03-18-2013, 05:14 PM
How good is that Pomerenke kid?

Mr. Burgundy
03-18-2013, 06:04 PM
Zach Johnson will start the next 3 years. He's the rave if everyone. If colville comes back from the knee surgery I think he's the starting center.

Herd12
03-18-2013, 06:07 PM
while we're at it, would someone mind explaining what you look for in a guard as opposed to a tackle or center?

It is desirable for tackles to be taller than guards for pass protection purposes. Guards that have the agility to pull (like in NDSU's bread and butter "power" play) are also desirable. Left tackle should be more athletic than any other position on the line because he protects the QBs blind side. Centers (and this may sound simplistic) need to be able to play center. They need to be able to play OL while snapping the ball, making protection calls and communicating with his linemates as well as the QB.

Herd
03-18-2013, 06:11 PM

When going up against a std 4-3 defense, I would look for . . .

C 285-305 Better quickness than G position to be able to get down field and block on LBs. quickness & size to support doubles on DT.
G 295-310 Need more size to deal with DTs and interior rushing; typically need some quickness for pulling, but less foot quickness than Ts.
T 300-315 Quickness needed to protect edges and move with faster DEs. Size for getting touch yards on the edge.

Against 3-4 Defenses, more size in the C position is desired, and more quickness with the Gs.

344Johnson
03-18-2013, 06:45 PM
Maybe a tad off topic, but still relevant perhaps.

Did Sam Houston lose any of their d-lineman from 2011 to 2012? In 2011, we had a really good offensive line and could hardly move the ball on them, while last year, with two freshman, replacing Richards and Cornick(studs obviously), were able to move the ball very well.

Anyone with a good football mind (Burgundy, Rams, CAS perhaps?) mind elaborating on what was the difference?

EndZoneQB
03-18-2013, 07:00 PM
No one has answered why it's desirable for tackles to be taller yet.

You need to have reach to prevent the outside rushers from getting into the body.

BisoninNWMN
03-18-2013, 07:44 PM
I think Hinz will be the center, a perfect size and height in my opinion. Colville would be also, Johnson might be a bit tall for the Bison prototype C.

I also expect Plankers to challenge Haeg this spring, although Haeg certainly has an advantage having started 15 games, but I keep hearing Plankers is an animal in the weight room and has worked really hard in winter workouts. He appears to be a driven man.

The competition on the OL will be fun to watch over the next 12 months leading into next spring ball when there are a few more positions up for grabs. I think the Bison will be very well situtated at this position for years to come.

Nice to have depth on the OL....seems like we were really thin last year at this time or the year before.

reformedUNDfan
03-18-2013, 07:50 PM
Nice to have depth on the OL....seems like we were really thin last year at this time or the year before.

many around here thought the line was going to be a big weakness last year.

CAS4127
03-18-2013, 07:58 PM
many around here thought the line was going to be a big weakness last year.

There was a time mid-year when Oline struggled, and we certainly did not push GSU or Lehigh around. As for SHSU, don't know if they lost players from last year, but I do know there Dlinemen were gasses and beaten by mid-2nd. Also, we ran several gadget plays, and those may have kept them at bay a bit. In the 4th they had basically given up. Also, we used Grothman more as a lead
blocker more this year in the Natty game to attack perimeter--maybe learned from tape of 11 game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BisonNeil
03-19-2013, 12:00 AM
Zach Johnson will start the next 3 years. He's the rave if everyone. If colville comes back from the knee surgery I think he's the starting center.

Whoa! Where have I been? When did Colville hurt his knee? What type of injury? Did he have surgery?

I have to say Burg, I am kind of surprised you think Colville, if healthy, will beat out Hinz for center. He played well there as a TFr in the playoffs.

SamsRams
03-19-2013, 01:33 AM
Here is our unofficial offensive depth chart

http://bisonation.info/depth-chart-unofficial/

We have Schueller as the front runner for the center position.

Personally I dont think it makes sense to move Gimmestad to Center for one year and than have to find the Rams a new leader in 2014. Colville makes sense to move inside but this is the first I have heard of an injury.
As for Hinz, there was a reason they moved him to tackle last year. Maybe because they didnt know who would step in for Cornick but also because they were impressed with Schueller. I think Hinz is a real long shot to start at center.
I would not be too surprised to see Russell get a look also.

KC Bison
03-19-2013, 02:17 AM

You need shorter players in the middle so the qb can see down the field better when passing? I'm posing an answer but I'm not sure if its correct.

reformedUNDfan
03-19-2013, 02:43 AM
You need shorter players in the middle so the qb can see down the field better when passing? I'm posing an answer but I'm not sure if its correct.

this was my thought as well

Bison"FANatic"
03-19-2013, 01:58 PM

Also with the taller player you get a longer wingspan and that is beneficial for keeping the D player moving around the outside and can keep the Defender off his body, good footwork is also very important though.

herdmember
03-19-2013, 02:04 PM
What type of knee surgery did Colville have?

EndZoneQB
03-19-2013, 02:10 PM
Also with the taller player you get a longer wingspan and that is beneficial for keeping the D player moving around the outside and can keep the Defender off his body, good footwork is also very important though.

You sure about that? :)

You need to have reach to prevent the outside rushers from getting into the body.

Bison"FANatic"
03-19-2013, 03:02 PM
You sure about that? :)

Most of the time what you write is just babble so I just skip it. :biggrin:

Just kidding, totally missed that post.:facepalm:

KC Bison
03-21-2013, 04:58 PM
On the shorter guards subject, how about they need guys with low centers of gravity to get as low as possible on blocking on runs up the middle.

bisonrock
03-25-2013, 02:30 PM
Interesting depth chart. I don't see Colville getting beat out for RG unless he becomes the center. He made the all-conference freshman squad, didn't he? He had a terrific championship game, he and Turner really moved some people in the second half. Johnson is good, I just don't see him moving him out.

Yes, Colville, LeCompte and Schaetz made All-Freshman team.

bruinbison
03-31-2013, 02:45 PM

Here is Kolpack's paragraph on the center position in today's spring football article:

"Hinz is expected to battle junior Adam Schueller for the starting center position. Offensive line coach Scott Fuchs said Zac Johnson, a Fargo South graduate who transferred from Valley City State, will get a look."

I checked gobison today, they do not have a new roster posted yet, but this looks like a new name in the mix - sorry if I missed any mention of him in another article - but sounds like another Zac Johnson is on the team.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/394941/group/Sports/

bruinbison
03-31-2013, 03:01 PM
Here is Zac Johnson - OL from Fargo South - listed as 1st team all-state in 2009 - same year
Esley Thorton was the player of the year

http://www.metrotournament.com/ArchivedSites/2009StateFootball/11man3ABracket.html

HandoEX
03-31-2013, 03:24 PM
Well that's an interesting turn, lol.

tony
03-31-2013, 03:36 PM
Here is Zac Johnson - OL from Fargo South - listed as 1st team all-state in 2009 - same year
Esley Thorton was the player of the year

http://www.metrotournament.com/ArchivedSites/2009StateFootball/11man3ABracket.html

So we've got a Zack Johnson and a Zac Johnson? Suppose we could get a Zach Johnson, a Zach Johnsen, and a Zack Johnsen and have a complete set.

daHERDfollower
03-31-2013, 05:41 PM
Zac Johnson and Darius Anderson both transferred from VCSU at the same time and red shirted this past season because of NCAA transfer rules. Zac will be a Junior and Darius will be a Sophomore for the 2013 season.

HerdBot
03-31-2013, 05:43 PM
So we've got a Zack Johnson and a Zac Johnson? Suppose we could get a Zach Johnson, a Zach Johnsen, and a Zack Johnsen and have a complete set.

Don't forget Zack Morris.

Anyone know how big he is? (Zac Johnson not Morris)

DIBISON
03-31-2013, 06:26 PM
Zac Johnson and Darius Anderson both transferred from VCSU at the same time and red shirted this past season because of NCAA transfer rules. Zac will be a Junior and Darius will be a Sophomore for the 2013 season.
Zac Johnson was also considered a walkon for the Bison and made great strides during the past year.

BisonNeil
03-31-2013, 07:00 PM

We could if the other one from VCSU came to camp :)

http://vikings.vcsu.edu/football/vp.htm?p=1799

BisonNeil
04-01-2013, 07:24 PM
The 2013 roster is up, but I see no mention of Zac Johnson from VCSU. Darius Anderson and a few others are added, however.

http://www.gobison.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPSID=11845&SPID=695&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=2400&SORT_ORDER=6&Q_SEASON=2013&PRINTABLE_PAGE=

T-Funk
04-01-2013, 08:36 PM
The 2013 roster is up, but I see no mention of Zac Johnson from VCSU. Darius Anderson and a few others are added, however.

http://www.gobison.com/SportSelect.dbml?SPSID=11845&SPID=695&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=2400&SORT_ORDER=6&Q_SEASON=2013&PRINTABLE_PAGE=

I noticed they have Anthony LaVoy still listed as an offensive lineman. Seems like we have some pretty good depth at o-line, so wonder if they will give him a look at defensive tackle again like he was used towards the end of last year. He would add some nice depth to DT, especially with Leevon Perry still rehabbing his knee.

bri-dog
04-02-2013, 07:31 PM
I think Zac (Zachary) Johnson is now added (#68 on GoBison)...

BisonNeil
04-04-2013, 12:45 PM
Great article by Kolpack on Zac Johnson, who is competing for playing time at C. Love the last line.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/395273/group/Sports/

Hammerhead
04-04-2013, 02:22 PM
Can we get some Howard Johnsons to do a remake of Blazing Saddles?

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_GxCs7P8s6-s/ScvVmLqnKDI/AAAAAAAAABc/NkBuG2TQWh0/s320/Howard+Johnson.jpg

SamsRams
04-28-2013, 04:48 AM
souths zac Johnson started the spring game