PDA

View Full Version : School records!

tony
03-04-2013, 04:58 PM
Yeah, I'm slacking but, holy carp, some nice runs from the women last meet down in Iowa.

Ashley Tingelstad crushed the indoor 400m record by nearly a full second. BOOM! 53.72
Deborah John set the 60m hurdle record, twice. 8.23

Not to mention that Antoinette Goodman posted the fastest NDSU time in the 200m with a 23.98 this season. The next fastest NDSU runner was Tamara Brudy's 24.3 almost 14 years ago (seriously!?! It doesn't seem that long ago.) She also tied John's 60m dash record this season.

I'm not worthy... :bowdown:

Castor Troy
03-05-2013, 02:21 AM
Yeah, I'm slacking but, holy carp, some nice runs from the women last meet down in Iowa.

Ashley Tingelstad crushed the indoor 400m record by nearly a full second. BOOM! 53.72
Deborah John set the 60m hurdle record, twice. 8.23

Not to mention that Antoinette Goodman posted the fastest NDSU time in the 200m with a 23.98 this season. The next fastest NDSU runner was Tamara Brudy's 24.3 almost 14 years ago (seriously!?! It doesn't seem that long ago.) She also tied John's 60m dash record this season.

I'm not worthy... :bowdown:

Those are some very impressive records. I think that Ashley's 400 time is simply insane! It's a shame that Deborah is the only one that has a shot at nationals.

On a negative note, I guess Toni Tollefson quit last spring. I have no idea why. She breaks my wife's record and retires. Weird.

Buffalo.Rider
03-13-2013, 01:11 AM
Another person who had a lot of promise, but apparently left the program, was Sam Larson from a couple years ago. Too bad, he would have been a great 800m, miler, possibly 5000m runner.

The track and field program at NDSU is demanding. It is time consuming and requires a lot of committment. This may have something to do with Tollefson and Larson moving on. (I do not know if Larson transferred to another school).

td577
03-13-2013, 03:57 AM
The track and field program at NDSU is demanding. It is time consuming and requires a lot of committment. This may have something to do with Tollefson and Larson moving on. (I do not know if Larson transferred to another school).

College track and field is brutal no matter where you run. If you are distance runner with cross country is 11 months of competitive running. 7 to 8 months of straight sprinting is not especially great on the body either. So many of these great college athletes make it look so easy that it is hard to appreciate how long and hard the season is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tony
03-13-2013, 04:11 AM
College track and field is brutal no matter where you run. If you are distance runner with cross country is 11 months of competitive running. 7 to 8 months of straight sprinting is not especially great on the body either. So many of these great college athletes make it look so easy that it is hard to appreciate how long and hard the season is.

Well, track is brutal. Field though? :)

td577
03-13-2013, 05:24 AM
Well, track is brutal. Field though? :)

With the technical aspect of field events, I would say it is a burnout mentally. Take the shot put, for example. Every throw in practice and meets have to be technically perfect. If your mind relaxes and you start mailing it in, your form goes to shit and you spend four times as long fixing it. So the field portion is more mentally intense coupled with drills and weights to increase strength, coordination, and balance. I don't care what the competition level is, pole vaulters are weird. That event alone draws the most nutcases on any track team.

Decathletes are hardcore.

So my short answer is, track and field is brutal. The longest season of any college sport and you have to deal with male pole vaulters doing stuff like shaving their legs. Both sides are brutal.

tony
03-13-2013, 02:45 PM
With the technical aspect of field events, I would say it is a burnout mentally. ...

Heh, I was kidding... kind of. In college, every sport you are serious about is hard.

That said, I still give high jumpers crap because all I remember about them is that while I was running my 7th out of 9 400s or something, they were all lounging about on the high jump pit, catching rays, and chatting. It's different at NDSU, if you are good at the high jump, they'll probably put you in one of those multi-events - and that's a lot of work.

td577
03-13-2013, 03:01 PM
I knew you were kidding. I just didn't want anyone reading the thread and thinking I was ignoring the field side of track and field.

It seemed to me when I ran college track, there was a lot more specialization going on. While there were some field guys who could run, there are a lot who concentrate on just their field event.

Buffalo.Rider
03-13-2013, 05:04 PM

I agree. But when I wrote, "The track and field program at NDSU is demanding. It is time consuming and requires a lot of committment." I meant more than just the workouts. I also meant the time committment each day - for those doing twice a day workouts, it might be 3-4 hours PER DAY for several months - from late August until June for Cross-Country and Track people. Some people decide that other things are more important - a career, a family, hobbies, and so on.

roper1313
03-15-2013, 03:43 PM
Heh, I was kidding... kind of. In college, every sport you are serious about is hard.

That said, I still give high jumpers crap because all I remember about them is that while I was running my 7th out of 9 400s or something, they were all lounging about on the high jump pit, catching rays, and chatting. It's different at NDSU, if you are good at the high jump, they'll probably put you in one of those multi-events - and that's a lot of work.

Don't feel bad. I remember jumping at South High and enjoying the rays just as you described. We just had to make sure we appeared to be working our our steps and not our tan or coach Hertel would send us over for a "special" workout with the sprinters. BOO!!

bruinbison
05-03-2013, 04:21 PM
"Records fall for Bison track team in odd season"

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/398491/group/Sports/

"North Dakota State freshman Sierra Rosenau set a new school record in the javelin on Monday evening at the Cobber Twilight hosted by Concordia College, throwing 150-1 (45.75m) to win the event. Her school record performance was the sixth in an 11-day span for the Bison women........"

http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=207485866

CarringtonBison
05-04-2013, 01:38 AM

"North Dakota State freshman CARRINGTON NATIVE Sierra Rosenau set a new school record in the javelin on Monday evening at the Cobber Twilight hosted by Concordia College, throwing 150-1 (45.75m) to win the event. Her school record performance was the sixth in an 11-day span for the Bison women........"

FIFY

continuing on her high school success!

Castor Troy
05-09-2013, 06:13 PM
The javelin was one of the weaker records that the women had in the books. So it was nice to get this above the 150 mark. Coach St. Clair predicted that Sierra would break this record this year. He is more of a javelin coach, so we will most likely see the javelin mark continue to go up.

"North Dakota State freshman Sierra Rosenau set a new school record in the javelin on Monday evening at the Cobber Twilight hosted by Concordia College, throwing 150-1 (45.75m) to win the event. Her school record performance was the sixth in an 11-day span for the Bison women........"