PDA

View Full Version : Things to improve on during spring ball:

tony
02-14-2013, 03:10 PM
I'll start:

1. Get Bryan Shepherd a helmet that fits and make sure that he knows how to put it on.

goalpost
02-14-2013, 03:15 PM
develop wr depth

Castor Troy
02-14-2013, 03:16 PM
The emergence of a deep threat WR.

aces1180
02-14-2013, 03:18 PM
Helping Brock realize its ok to throw the ball away sometimes...

BisonNation11
02-14-2013, 03:19 PM
2. Teach Nate "Smooth Moves" Moody teh crazy speed. Kids got some great talent, but watching him in motion during the Natty game was like watching my grandma cross the street!

BisonTeacher
02-14-2013, 03:20 PM

I agree with this. Would like to see improvement here.

Helping Brock realize its ok to throw the ball away sometimes...

This too.

IzzyFlexion
02-14-2013, 03:24 PM
develop wr depth

I can't wait to see Dee Grey.

I really think that he will be "that guy".

EndZoneQB
02-14-2013, 03:26 PM

It'd be nice to see them throw deep to Gebhart more than once a season.

TAILG8R
02-14-2013, 03:32 PM
It'd be nice to see them throw deep to Gebhart more than once a season.

Or on a play that doesn't include some 'razzle dazzle' toss the ball around like a hot potato first then chuck it deep. Can we just find a guy that can line up and straight outrun someone, or put a double move on someone?

BisonNation11
02-14-2013, 03:36 PM
Or on a play that doesn't include some 'razzle dazzle' toss the ball around like a hot potato first then chuck it deep. Can we just find a guy that can line up and straight outrun someone, or put a double move on someone?

The offense we run just isn't built for a lot of these plays. Passing plays are for 5-10 yards, to help sustain drives and get first downs. With that being said and the running game we have, you would think it would be easier for guys to get open deep. Hopefully guys like Grey can step up and be used for more than just a deep threat. If they can prove they can run block, it will make it easier to keep them out there for more plays and other teams won't be able to key in on when we may go deep to them. For example, every time I saw Wahlo in the game, it was either a jet sweep, a deep ball, or a run play away from him.

EndZoneQB
02-14-2013, 03:52 PM

There is no way Gebhart isn't fast enough. Have you seen his track accolades? I know that doesn't always translate to the field...but I think I've seen them go deep to him once, and it was wayy under thrown and he was open if it was in stride.

The offense we run just isn't built for a lot of these plays. Passing plays are for 5-10 yards, to help sustain drives and get first downs. With that being said and the running game we have, you would think it would be easier for guys to get open deep. Hopefully guys like Grey can step up and be used for more than just a deep threat. If they can prove they can run block, it will make it easier to keep them out there for more plays and other teams won't be able to key in on when we may go deep to them. For example, every time I saw Wahlo in the game, it was either a jet sweep, a deep ball, or a run play away from him.

You can dink and dunk all you want, there has to be a vertical threat there at some point. That is sort of the M-O of the West Coast Offense. Dive, Dive, play action over the top. Or dink, dive, over the top.

Bison"FANatic"
02-14-2013, 03:56 PM
I would like to see a improvement in the 2 minute offense. There were games last year that it looked like a 3 ring circus during the hurry up. With a senior QB that has been starting for as long as Brock has, he should just about be able to run the dang thing on his own with some input from above.

runtheoption
02-14-2013, 04:14 PM
he should just about be able to run the dang thing on his own with some input from above.

And on Bison gameday, the Lord said, "Son, you are a 5th year senior. Run that two minute offense like Izzy runs a strip club."

bajadanny
02-14-2013, 04:27 PM
Yes need to throw the ball away if there is nothing available, unacceptable to take the sack over and over again.

I agree throw the deep ball, we have guys that can get open.

unbison
02-14-2013, 04:49 PM
did our offensive scheme change when holloway graduated?

TAILG8R
02-14-2013, 04:51 PM

He took his playbook with him, it was the only one with go routes in it.

bisontwice
02-14-2013, 04:54 PM
Find some LB depth, not good when we have to start a MLB in the championship game who has his appendix removed when he gets back to fargo. The 4th LB is a recently converted QB and for all other purposes no other LB played meaningful downs all year.

BisonTeacher
02-14-2013, 04:57 PM
The offense we run just isn't built for a lot of these plays.

Seemed to work ok with Holloway catching deep balls. I don't think he meant every play. Just enough to stretch the defense a bit. Keep them honest.

Edit...Didnt read far enough. Unbison beat me to it.

BisonNation11
02-14-2013, 05:11 PM
Seemed to work ok with Holloway catching deep balls. I don't think he meant every play. Just enough to stretch the defense a bit. Keep them honest.

Edit...Didnt read far enough. Unbison beat me to it.

Well then, maybe to appease both you and Unbison, we should get Holloway back. Seems to be the only receiver to get open... It's hard to run deep routes continuously when you never get open or have the chance to actually throw it to that route. You can have all the speed in the world, but if you can't beat your defender for whatever reason, the point is moot. Plus, I will take this year's natty performance any day. One deep ball was all that was thrown and that was incomplete. We had to run a trick play and under throw a double covered receiver to get anything over 20 yards.

EndZoneQB
02-14-2013, 05:15 PM
Well then, maybe to appease both you and Unbison, we should get Holloway back. Seems to be the only receiver to get open... It's hard to run deep routes continuously when you never get open or have the chance to actually throw it to that route. You can have all the speed in the world, but if you can't beat your defender for whatever reason, the point is moot. Plus, I will take this year's natty performance any day. One deep ball was all that was thrown and that was incomplete. We had to run a trick play and under throw a double covered receiver to get anything over 20 yards.

It's a moo point. Get it right.

KSBisonFan
02-14-2013, 05:28 PM
Develop Keller's arm strength.....That pass he threw in the Natty was a duck.

Also, don't forget Desean Warren at WR for a deep threat.

stevdock
02-14-2013, 05:28 PM
You want a deep pass not only does the WR have to get open but the line has got to give him time to throw the ball. That was a huge issue early in the year. So instead of taking 6-7 yard sack because the line wasn't getting it done, the pass plays got shortened up.

BisonNation11
02-14-2013, 05:31 PM
It's a moo point. Get it right.

You can make all the animal noises you want, it's not going to change anything... :biggrin:

tony
02-14-2013, 05:38 PM
So who is up for LB? There are 12 LBs on the team: Beck, Littlejohn, Olson, Thorton, LaVoy, Hushka, Gefroh, Riopelle, Rodgers, Scoliere, Sonnenfeld, and Stumpf. That's a lot of athletes.

BTW, I wasn't trying to rip on Shepherd with the helmet deal. NDSU needs him on the field. He was #11 on the teams in tackles which is pretty impressive since he only started 4 games, was injured for half the season, and ending up sitting out more plays because of losing his helmet than the rest of the team combined.

HerdBot
02-14-2013, 06:15 PM
Good thread...

Get Antonio Rogers at on of reps at middle linebacker if he is the top reserve. Give all the young linebackers a ton of reps. Need to find the mike linebacker for 2014.

Develop receivers. I want to see what Dee Gray can do as he will have to step into Oklands role. I noticed toward the end of the year, defenses started to adjust to players tendencies. Vraa wasn't quite as effective. Neither was Moody. They obviously need to develop some different moves.

Get Heagle some reps if he's healthy because he's probably rusty.

Find a few key backup lineman at DE and DT. Need to replace Hagen, Juckem, Amechi and possibly have a late start for Perry. Starters are studs with Jirik and Emannual and Drevlow and either Perry (if back) or Schaetz. Top backups are Hardie and Luecke. Don't know much about Jeremy Gordon other than he's a little undersized at 6-1 and was a pass rushing RDE at NDSCS, the same spot Amechi was. Plenty of young talent with Brett Pierce, Austin Farnloff, Talmadge, and the awesome freshman recruits but I don't think they play in the spring. We need some players to emerge.

BisonNation11
02-14-2013, 06:24 PM
Anybody know who is in the MLB position of the future? I understand getting Rodgers reps at MLB would be nice if he would be needed as a back up next year, but he will be a senior and we need to get someone some game reps that will be leading in the future.

gumby013
02-14-2013, 06:33 PM
Field Rushing Form - The Frisco walls are tricky.

Das Boot Bubble Management

Vocal Lessons - To increase volume.

NCAA Ticket Availability Communication - Should be sold out in August.

tony
02-14-2013, 06:35 PM
Anybody know who is in the MLB position of the future? I understand getting Rodgers reps at MLB would be nice if he would be needed as a back up next year, but he will be a senior and we need to get someone some game reps that will be leading in the future.

Right now, the MLBs of the future are Nick DeLuca and Matt Plank from the 2013 class. It'll be interesting to see how Mike Goergen develops as well.

From what Coach Bohl was saying, I'd expect at least one true freshman to play MLB this year (he didn't mention the position directly - just said that he might not redshirt four or five guys.) Of course, I hope that guys show they can get the job done in spring ball instead but there's been some bad luck with injuries and an unfortunate transfer.

BisonNation11
02-14-2013, 06:38 PM
Right now, the MLBs of the future are Nick DeLuca and Matt Plank from the 2013 class. It'll be interesting to see how Mike Goergen develops as well.

From what Coach Bohl was saying, I'd expect at least one true freshman to play MLB this year (he didn't mention the position directly - just said that he might not redshirt four or five guys.) Of course, I hope that guys show they can get the job done in spring ball instead but there's been some bad luck with injuries and an unfortunate transfer.

In that case, I hope DeLuca is as smart as he is phycial. He has the size to play right away, so let's just hope he can learn the playbook and become a leader.

HerdBot
02-14-2013, 06:48 PM

And who knows if DeLuca goes to DE. We have a need at both spots. I wonder if Nick Scoliere fits into the plans at middle?

HerdBot
02-14-2013, 06:50 PM

Yeah they look much smaller on TV!!

TransAmBison
02-14-2013, 06:51 PM
Yeah they look much smaller on TV!!twss............... (I had to...I mean...c'mon...)

CaBisonFan
02-14-2013, 07:04 PM
Depth & experience...everywhere.

Bison Dan
02-14-2013, 07:06 PM

From what Coach Bohl was saying, I'd expect at least one true freshman to play MLB this year (he didn't mention the position directly - just said that he might not redshirt four or five guys.) Of course, I hope that guys show they can get the job done in spring ball instead but there's been some bad luck with injuries and an unfortunate transfer.I hope we can red shirt everyone if possible. Be nice to Grant Olson for another year after this..

tony
02-14-2013, 07:11 PM
And who knows if DeLuca goes to DE. We have a need at both spots. I wonder if Nick Scoliere fits into the plans at middle?

Well, so far, the only people putting DeLuca at DE are bisonville posters; I mean, sure he could get moved, but the need for MLBs is more urgent than DE. Anyway, I want to see big things from Talmadge in the spring game.

Professor Chaos
02-14-2013, 07:16 PM
Yeah they look much smaller on TV!!
twss............... (I had to...I mean...c'mon...)
http://media.celebremix.com/5/mediaFiles/remix/663/9488.jpg

bisontwice
02-14-2013, 07:44 PM
Hushka is done-knee surgery complications and I think Scoliere is gone. Gefroh had achilles surgery and doesn't appear to be moving that well, Lavoy is slow as well. Thornton needs to develop and Rogers will be a senior and didn't see the field much last year so don't think he is the answer...

westnodak93bison
02-14-2013, 07:50 PM
Hushka is done-knee surgery complications and I think Scoliere is gone. Gefroh had achilles surgery and doesn't appear to be moving that well, Lavoy is slow as well. Thornton needs to develop and Rogers will be a senior and didn't see the field much last year so don't think he is the answer...

IMHO, Rogers can play. Maybe just needs more time to get the system down. He seemed plenty athletic on special teams. I wonder if Esley wouldn't be better at MLB. He could easily put on 20lbs with his frame.

aces1180
02-14-2013, 07:52 PM

I took the stairs through what was left of the SHSU fans. Easy like Sunday morning.

Herd
02-14-2013, 08:02 PM
In spring ball I'd start working on how to beat K-State, one of the biggest games in program history.

A win in that game would shock the FBS world and give your school more pub than anything else I can think of. No FBS teams would play NDSU ever again, and we would be FBS in 5 years. And it would really piss off the majority of B1G teams ranked below K-State. I'd work on selling out for a win in Kansas in the Fall.

westnodak93bison
02-14-2013, 08:09 PM
I want to see more razzle dazzle. Tackle eligible, two qbs, direct snaps to RB, half back passes, the old statue of liberty play, designed hook and ladder etc.

tcbison
02-14-2013, 08:18 PM
Work on getting the ball to the TEs over the middle. Improve check downs also in the passing game.

GRAFTONBISON
02-14-2013, 08:19 PM
Handoffs to the fullback??

HerdBot
02-14-2013, 08:23 PM
Well, so far, the only people putting DeLuca at DE are bisonville posters; I mean, sure he could get moved, but the need for MLBs is more urgent than DE. Anyway, I want to see big things from Talmadge in the spring game.

I think Kolpack and Izzo talked about it as well and I swear Bohl said he's going to "start him out" at linebacker. I agree he would be a good middle linebacker. I'm wondering with the mega talent we have at outside linebacker if any of the guys will get a look at middle. 15 pounds and tucker is the same size as Evans and Olson plus he's athletic enough to stay on the field in passing situations.

Elvis was a Bison
02-14-2013, 08:36 PM
We need to teach our backs to block the blitz better. Can't count the number of times Brock got mauled by folks running past or over our RB's. Makes the deep ball exceptionally difficult when you don't have time to throw.

CaBisonFan
02-14-2013, 08:49 PM
Give Carson Wentz a substantial amount of time with the first offensive unit.

BisonNation11
02-14-2013, 08:55 PM
We need to teach our backs to block the blitz better. Can't count the number of times Brock got mauled by folks running past or over our RB's. Makes the deep ball exceptionally difficult when you don't have time to throw.

This is a great point. I'd also like to see more plays like the Brock-Crockett pass in the Natty when they bring two blitzers from one side. He'd still be running if he could have kept his feet. Especially if you're looking for the deep ball. Then that entire side should be cleared out with no one left in coverage.

bisonmike2
02-14-2013, 09:15 PM
There is no way Gebhart isn't fast enough. Have you seen his track accolades? I know that doesn't always translate to the field...but I think I've seen them go deep to him once, and it was wayy under thrown and he was open if it was in stride.

You can dink and dunk all you want, there has to be a vertical threat there at some point. That is sort of the M-O of the West Coast Offense. Dive, Dive, play action over the top. Or dink, dive, over the top.

Did someone say Over the Top?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Jkj1LQQq1Pk/TKqVM_b2CZI/AAAAAAAAABY/8R6tbypOhbw/s320/Over+the+Top.jpg

SamsRams
02-14-2013, 10:03 PM
So who is up for LB? There are 12 LBs on the team: Beck, Littlejohn, Olson, Thorton, LaVoy, Hushka, Gefroh, Riopelle, Rodgers, Scoliere, Sonnenfeld, and Stumpf. That's a lot of athletes.

Dont be surprised to see Dalbec gets some minutes also!

JustinTyem
02-14-2013, 10:18 PM
Yes need to throw the ball away if there is nothing available, unacceptable to take the sack over and over again.

I agree throw the deep ball, we have guys that can get open.Brock Jensen=Aaron Rodgers..........Way to many sacks given out Last season. Dont eat it,Dump it!!!!!

JustinTyem
02-14-2013, 10:21 PM
did our offensive scheme change when holloway graduated?When Holloway graduated,Brocks trustee left and so did the seperation and "GREAT" Routes left the team!!!!

runtheoption
02-14-2013, 10:23 PM
Running the option.

reformedUNDfan
02-14-2013, 10:26 PM
integrate the freshman rams.

bisoningrandforks
02-15-2013, 12:37 AM
a friend of mine who coaches football in texas..... said we have very good players, scheme, and are well coached and coached up....only negative he said was we need receivers who can get SEPERATION....I agree!

td577
02-15-2013, 01:03 AM

Holloway was a very good receiver and I do think he did some things that can't be replaced. That being said, Smith is every bit as reliable on the field. The passing game changed when there was no consistency in who was going to dress every week at the WR position.

When Smith was in there, Brock obviously was very confident in his throws. The passing game looked a lot more fluid and more consistent. The problem was lack of depth and lack of confidence because if your fourth or fifth WR were as reliable as Smith, they would have been getting a ton more reps to begin with.

Where the experience factor is an issue with young WRs is figuring out how to work with little to no separation those first couple of college years. Either you get better at creating space or get better at playing in a phone booth without creating any difficulty for the QB while you are at it. When Vraa and Smith are healthy, Brock knows he has a lot more latitude. When the inexperienced get thrown in there, I think Brock feels he has to be exponentially more accurate.

I think the passing game will become more productive as the team knows Jensen has to develop more trust and confidence in all his receivers. Also, the inexperienced WRs are now experienced with a couple very good upperclassmen to keep the group moving forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

td577
02-15-2013, 01:04 AM
a friend of mine who coaches football in texas..... said we have very good players, scheme, and are well coached and coached up....only negative he said was we need receivers who can get SEPERATION....I agree!

Yeah, what he said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

westnodak93bison
02-15-2013, 01:19 AM

Blah blah. True to a point. However, Ryan Smith has no problem getting open and I've seen our TE running wide open often.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

BlueBisonRock
02-15-2013, 01:44 AM
Handoffs to the fullback??

When the D does not have ten in the box.

Bisonwinagn
02-15-2013, 01:46 AM
Work on the passing game, but run first until teams prove they can stop it then start to mix in the pass. Don't call pass plays just to achieve a certain ratio of pass to run.

DjKyRo
02-15-2013, 03:14 AM
Bring back the veer.

/thread

BlueBisonRock
02-15-2013, 03:41 AM
Bring back the veer.

/thread

I love the veer. Taught it to a bunch of sixth graders a number of years ago. They rocked! And they ROLLED!

HerdBot
02-15-2013, 04:08 AM
I love the veer. Taught it to a bunch of sixth graders a number of years ago. They rocked! And they ROLLED!

It's pretty obvious we still incorporate elements of the veer into our offense. Love seeing all 5 lineman pull on a qb sweep. Now we've only pitched it more than once all season. Then on the next play Jensen goes the other way. The misdirection works like a charm. Even tricks the camera man. Fire Vigen, save season!

KSBisonFan
02-15-2013, 01:56 PM
Free throws.

344Johnson
02-15-2013, 02:09 PM
[QUOTE=BlueBisonRock;716296]I love the veer. Taught it to a bunch of sixth graders a number of years ago. They rocked! And they ROLLED![/QUOTE

I love the veer. Too bad we sucked at it in high school.

It'd be fun to have a small veer package. Too bad it probably would be way too time consuming.

BadlandsBison
02-15-2013, 02:16 PM

I bet you were a coach that ruled with fear and fedora :D

BisonTeacher
02-15-2013, 02:45 PM
[QUOTE=BlueBisonRock;716296]I love the veer. Taught it to a bunch of sixth graders a number of years ago. They rocked! And they ROLLED![/QUOTE

I love the veer. Too bad we sucked at it in high school.

It'd be fun to have a small veer package. Too bad it probably would be way too time consuming.

Small package?

BlueBisonRock
02-15-2013, 05:37 PM
I bet you were a coach that ruled with fear and fedora :D

I told the kids and parents that hard work and fun were my objectives. If they worked hard enough, then I had fun. Yes, I did upset a couple of the mamas as I had the kids run sprints up the hill almost every practice.

I didn't coach their last year in youth ball. I will never forget stopping by to pick up my son and having over half of another dudes team (all former players of mine) run up to me and state: "Coach, they are not working us hard enough...."

BlueBisonRock
02-15-2013, 05:38 PM
[QUOTE=344Johnson;716343]

Small package?

Your quote has that one out of context. Let the record show that it is the 3.44" package that is being questioned.

BisonTeacher
02-15-2013, 06:09 PM
[QUOTE=BisonTeacher;716353]

Your quote has that one out of context. Let the record show that it is the 3.44" package that is being questioned.

I would never take words out of context. How dare you sir!

Kujava23
02-16-2013, 01:09 PM
Blah blah. True to a point. However, Ryan Smith has no problem getting open and I've seen our TE running wide open often.

TE OPEN OFTEN??? yeah right

I think this was the BIG thing missing in passing game this past year---no TE's to hold safety in middle of field and TE that was reliable to make some plays---missed Veldman big time

westnodak93bison
02-16-2013, 01:25 PM
85 was open ALOT.

gumby013
02-16-2013, 01:45 PM
Extra cardio for those who have to make the trek up to row KK.

BisonNeil
02-17-2013, 03:09 PM
Over the past three weekends I watched last year and this years playoffs and NC games. What I would like to see improved on this spring is MWill's ability to tackle, as in wrapping up the ball carrier, rather than simply putting a shoulder into somebody.

I would also like to see him improve his ability to cover a WR on a fly pattern, which he does a poor job of in my opinion. He is terrific in covering receivers when he and they are running parallel to the line of scrimmage, but when running perpendicular to the LOS, he is not very good, quite frankly. He tends to lose his balance when he turns his head back to look at the ball, which is why he frequently doesn't and the receiver easily catches the ball.

If MWill wants to actually have a chance at the next level, these are two things he has to work hard on.