PDA

View Full Version : Bison Sports Arena renovation /SHAC donation thread (getting close to the end!)

HerdBot
02-14-2013, 05:33 AM
As everyone knows we are getting close to completing the SHAC (Sanford Health Athletic Complex). This state of the art facility will update the outdated BSA and put the Bison at the top of the conference facility wise. It will benefit all the Bison teams including basketball and football. The BSA is easily the most used and most important facility on campus.

It will include a new basketball arena (with actual chairbacks, sound, climate control), practice courts, weight room, sports medicine, training, coaching offices, Hall Of Fame, ticket office (without a cold breeze), team store, player lounge, locker rooms, and much much more. This is a huge benefit to training and recruiting for all sports. Additionally Fargodome proposals will connect the dome expansion to the SHAC with a skyway. This will be a MAJOR ASSET to NDSU athletics and will be a facility we can all be proud of! If we are to ever move to a bigger conference, we won't even be looked at with the BSA. It hasn't changed in nearly 40 years! It will take one of the worst facilities and turn it into a strength!

No state funding is being used and it is all private donations. It was communicated last year that we were only 2 million short of the goal and we are probably closer. This is a 34 million dollar project. Lets get er done and start chipping away!

For more info, click this link. http://www.gobison.com/Edge.dbml

To donate, click this link. https://www.ndsualumni.com/NetCommunity/SSLPage.aspx?SPSID=12312&SPID=715&DB_OEM_ID=2400&pid=1131&frcrld=1
You can do a one time donation or set up a monthly donation. Even if you can only spare $10-$20 it will help.

Here is a recent quote from Gene Taylor in the Bison Illustrated

“One of the biggest challenges that we have to get finished is the BSA. Getting that project done will solidify our programs for many years to come. We are kind of on the last push here. The legislative folks have the project in, from what I understand, the governors budget to be approved once the legislative session is done in April. Our goal is to have our dollars raised by April. If we have the amount raised we can start the process of construction… We got some big asks we have made, but yet everybody can play a role. If we get everything raised soon after April, we think it’s a eighteen month to two year project. If we get the bid,we hope to be shoveling some ground by July or August.”

http://image.issuu.com/111123171105-903929cb34c043bfbc94990ace904f19/jpg/page_3.jpg
http://image.issuu.com/111123171105-903929cb34c043bfbc94990ace904f19/jpg/page_6.jpg
http://image.issuu.com/111123171105-903929cb34c043bfbc94990ace904f19/jpg/page_4.jpg
http://image.issuu.com/111123171105-903929cb34c043bfbc94990ace904f19/jpg/page_7.jpg

HerdBot
02-14-2013, 05:45 AM
video on the project

http://www.gobison.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?id=803386

IndyBison
02-14-2013, 01:52 PM
Thanks for moving the thread so nobody sees it. Im glad I wasted 30 minutes creating it. As of now the football forum has 25 viewers and this forum has 1. (That would be me) and the only viewers will be the same 50 people who read every thread here and they probably would have donated already. The rest wont ever see it. The idea is to get the word out so we can build the shac. Not many people even realize there is a website and think its only for basketball so they wont donate. Maybe some day we wont lose players like Nate Wolters to crappy schools because the BSA blows. Please move back. At least leave it in the football forum for a day. Geez
Teach people to use the "New Posts" link at the top of the page and they'll see all threads in all Forums. Placing threads in unrelated forums is bad discussion group moderation.

Kujava23
02-14-2013, 02:01 PM
Thanks for update; cant wait to see this new facility

dragonsfan
02-14-2013, 02:32 PM
will slickvic or roadwarrior et al have his bell and kettle out there tonight for donations?

heckler
02-14-2013, 04:05 PM
So what is the update? Are we closer?Do we have a new number?

TAILG8R
02-14-2013, 04:08 PM
So what is the update? Are we closer?Do we have a new number?

The update is, "We are still short, please give money."

HerdBot
02-14-2013, 04:20 PM
Teach people to use the "New Posts" link at the top of the page and they'll see all threads in all Forums. Placing threads in unrelated forums is bad discussion group moderation.

The point isn't to train people how to use the Bisonville Forum. It is to get the word out to donate. Is this a business or a freakin' Bison forum? All I was asking is to leave in the forum that is actually read for a few days. Then move it.

T-Funk
02-14-2013, 05:41 PM
Gabe, I appreciate your efforts to keep fund raising for the SHAC on the forefront (as does Gene Taylor :biggrin:). It's time to put our money where our mouth is and get this project completed.

In case anybody needs additional incentive to donate, it should be noted that donations to the EDGE campaign = team maker priority points. 1 point for every $100 donated to Athletics through the NDSU Development Foundation per gobison.com.

Also, if your employer matches charitable contributions that's a great way to boost your donation.

HerdBot
02-14-2013, 06:19 PM
Gabe, I appreciate your efforts to keep fund raising for the SHAC on the forefront (as does Gene Taylor :biggrin:). It's time to put our money where our mouth is and get this project completed.

In case anybody needs additional incentive to donate, it should be noted that donations to the EDGE campaign = team maker priority points. 1 point for every $100 donated to Athletics through the NDSU Development Foundation per gobison.com.

Also, if your employer matches charitable contributions that's a great way to boost your donation.

That's some great info! Thanks!

BigDeal
02-14-2013, 11:17 PM
I see in that picture they have torn down the Fargodome. They could save a lot of money if they kept it in place, no?

56BISON73
02-14-2013, 11:21 PM
I see in that picture they have torn down the Fargodome. They could save a lot of money if they kept it in place, no?

Where do you think they are going to put the new football stadium?:biggrin:

56BISON73
02-14-2013, 11:28 PM
Thanks for moving the thread so nobody sees it. Im glad I wasted 30 minutes creating it. As of now the football forum has 25 viewers and this forum has 1. (That would be me) and the only viewers will be the same 50 people who read every thread here and they probably would have donated already. The rest wont ever see it. The idea is to get the word out so we can build the shac. Not many people even realize there is a website and think its only for basketball so they wont donate. Maybe some day we wont lose players like Nate Wolters to crappy schools because the BSA blows. Please move back. At least leave it in the football forum for a day. Geez

Was this not been discussed when the first conceptual plans first came out? Then wasnt it discussed (ad nauseum) at length again when these latest conceptual plans came out not too long ago? Doesnt someone ask at least once a week how the BSA financing is going?

heckler
02-15-2013, 02:15 AM
Was this not been discussed when the first conceptual plans first came out? Then wasnt it discussed (ad nauseum) at length again when these latest conceptual plans came out not too long ago? Doesnt someone ask at least once a week how the BSA financing is going?

So what your saying: that the update was there is no update. Dammit.

roadwarrior
02-15-2013, 02:34 AM
So what your saying: that the update was there is no update. Dammit.

Correct. Just a new thread.

perthbison
02-15-2013, 02:52 AM
Where do you think they are going to put the new football stadium?:biggrin:This kind of talk makes some of us drool

HerdBot
02-15-2013, 05:10 AM

Some of you guys act like the only people who read this board are the same 100 people who did 10 years ago. Its outgrown the regular posters and your inside jokes. (Although I still love them and have been posting for nearly a decade) We get thousands of viewers now, everyone from coaches to media to potential recruits come here. Certainly a majority are just fans who dont post. What other boards are there? None

Its probably the #2 most viewed NDSU site on the web after gobison.com (or will be some day)

The new thread is so the non bisonville regulars have all the information in a single spot vs expecting someone to read a 900 page thread spanning 3 years and still not gaining updated info.

I think we all owe it to Bison Nation to get the info out there in an organized fashion. The site has really evolved over the years. Its almost an expectation we grow and provide more info

I know this seems like a weird post but its true

HerdBot
02-15-2013, 03:02 PM
Not arguing with any of this. Just categorize it properly (it is now), remove teh whining about it getting moved (TBA), and it's pretty much perfect.

Your right ill delete all my whining posts.

chuckles
02-18-2013, 12:26 AM
Your right ill delete all my whining posts.

RIP Bisonville ;)

OrygunBison
02-18-2013, 12:28 AM
I'm likely to get flamed for this statement but here goes...

If they would have come up with a nicer design, even one that cost $5M more, the project would have been completed by now. This design, while very functional, just isn't inspiring. It is no wonder that it is taking awhile to get people excited. It'll be great when it is done because it will function fabulously, I just don't know that anyone will look at it and say - "Wow, that place is awesome! I cannot wait to be a be a Bison!!" or "Wow, that place is awesome. I'd like to donate more to this program because it is leading the pack and I want to be a part of that!!" The project will simply meet the needs of the program and be cost effective in doing so. It will bring us back to par with our peers. It is a shame that we didn't reach further and leap ahead while we had the chance. It is a shame that there was no real effort to make this uniquely NDSU.

But then again, most people don't really understand the impact that great design can make. To most, this is a problem solved on a spreadsheet Pro Forma, which is unfortunate and lacks the vision of a premiere DI institution.

HerdBot
02-18-2013, 12:47 AM
I'm likely to get flamed for this statement but here goes...

If they would have come up with a nicer design, even one that cost $5M more, the project would have been completed by now. This design, while very functional, just isn't inspiring. It is no wonder that it is taking awhile to get people excited. It'll be great when it is done because it will function fabulously, I just don't know that anyone will look at it and say - "Wow, that place is awesome! I cannot wait to be a be a Bison!!" or "Wow, that place is awesome. I'd like to donate more to this program because it is leading the pack and I want to be a part of that!!" The project will simply meet the needs of the program and be cost effective in doing so. It will bring us back to par with our peers. It is a shame that we didn't reach further and leap ahead while we had the chance. It is a shame that there was no real effort to make this uniquely NDSU.

But then again, most people don't really understand the impact that great design can make. To most, this is a problem solved on a spreadsheet Pro Forma, which is unfortunate and lacks the vision of a premiere DI institution.

All 5 million would do is add brick. Heck that barely covers inflation. To completely redo it would cost a hell of a lot more than 5 million. Not much can be done to a square building.

My only disappointment is the siding on the track and field building. Its ugly and needs brick. The good news is we can upgrade to brick down the road. We're only 2 million short so its not like people haven't been interested

This will be a kick ass facility and will be the nicest in our conference. If we can compete with the current bsa... just saying

56BISON73
02-18-2013, 01:07 AM
All 5 million would do is add brick. Heck that barely covers inflation. To completely redo it would cost a hell of a lot more than 5 million. Not much can be done to a square building.

My only disappointment is the siding on the track and field building. Its ugly and needs brick. The good news is we can upgrade to brick down the road. We're only 2 million short so its not like people haven't been interested

This will be a kick ass facility and will be the nicest in our conference. If we can compete with the current bsa... just saying

You do know the tree hugger is an architect? I would think he knows something about design, costs etc.

roadwarrior
02-18-2013, 01:19 AM
Orygun didn't suggest a $5 million project. He suggested they should have gone further in the design/attributes than they did, making it closer to $40 million.

HerdBot
02-18-2013, 01:32 AM
You do know the tree hugger is an architect? I would think he knows something about design, costs etc.

If the whole idea is we would have gotten it built faster with a grand design that costs way more I get it but to imply that we could have done it for 5 million more and built something grand and spectacular, he's basically saying everyone at NDSU who is behind it is an idiot.

56BISON73
02-18-2013, 01:42 AM
If the whole idea is we would have gotten it built faster with a grand design that costs way more I get it but to imply that we could have done it for 5 million more and built something grand and spectacular, he's basically saying everyone at NDSU who is behind it is an idiot.

Wow who can argue with reasoning like that.

Answer Guy
02-18-2013, 02:15 AM

The $5 million includes raising the roof and adding a second deck.

NDSUstudent
02-18-2013, 02:51 AM
This shot of the BSA doesn't look too bad...but I guess there is only so much you can do with a big ugly box and a tight budget...

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y157/bisonfan2008/Untitled_zpsd029db97.png

56BISON73
02-18-2013, 02:55 AM
The $5 million includes raising the roof and adding a second deck And the brick.

Finally. A voice of reason.:biggrin:

SDbison
02-18-2013, 03:31 AM
This whole project sucks! Still DII. NDSU and ND in the dark ages. Hey dumbasses its 2013.

BisonNation11
02-18-2013, 04:13 AM
And the FargoDome is a marvel of modern architecture? Come on people. I don't give a crap what it looks like on the outside as long as stuff isn't falling off of it and it is structurally sound. All that matters is what happens on the inside. We all get comfy new seats, upgraded hvac, a "new" facility to watch basketball, players get new equipment and locker rooms, and from the looks of it, it will be just as nice as anything anyone else has at this level. Not to mention the new offices for the athletic department and whatever else they have in store for this place. Pull your heads out of your a$$e$ and appreciate the fact something is actually trying to get done. You want to complain about it, write a big check to make it what you want it to be.

SlickVic
02-18-2013, 04:26 AM
Sd you me lakes we go get that last 2 mill we will take 10% this would be done by tourney time then party at your ranch chea

HerdBot
02-18-2013, 05:13 AM
Wow who can argue with reasoning like that.

I guess I have faith that the leadership is doing the best they can with the resources at hand. Not ripping them to shreds for what woulda, coulda, shoulda been. It's easy to criticize in hindsight.

To me it looks like a facility we will be proud of. We go from the bottom of the league to the top.

If someone disagrees, open up your wallet and make it happen.

344Johnson
02-18-2013, 07:04 AM
If people are going to complain about the new BSA, I'm sure NDSU would be willing to modify the plans if those people are willing to invest an extra $X million to make it suit their desires.

AjaxTheMighty
02-18-2013, 11:18 PM
The architect is TL Stroh. Have you seen any of his work? Go to his website. It will be beautiful and a sight to see. He is the best in ND! Here is your education kids: You don't need to build the Taj Mahal to have a nice facility. Some of you sound like the crabby neighbor who is always yelling at kids to stop throwing bags of flaming poop on his lawn!

Bison bison
02-18-2013, 11:51 PM
Wow.

That's a horrible analogy.

IzzyFlexion
02-19-2013, 12:51 AM
Wow.

Because he said "bags of flaming poop" instead of "flaming bags of poop"?
Cuz I don't think that poop is flammable without an accelerant.
-but then again...I really don't know shit.

AjaxTheMighty
02-19-2013, 01:19 AM
Wow.

Not good? It's what I pictured.

AjaxTheMighty
02-19-2013, 01:20 AM
Because he said "bags of flaming poop" instead of "flaming bags of poop"?
Cuz I don't think that poop is flammable without an accelerant.
-but then again...I really don't know shit.

It's called chili...duh!

1998braves64
02-19-2013, 02:15 AM
The architect is TL Stroh. Have you seen any of his work? Go to his website. It will be beautiful and a sight to see. He is the best in ND! Here is your education kids: You don't need to build the Taj Mahal to have a nice facility. Some of you sound like the crabby neighbor who is always yelling at kids to stop throwing bags of flaming poop on his lawn!

TL Stroh does decent designs but 360 Architecture is the lead architect TL Stroh may get some input but 360 will be doing most of the design as TL Stroh doesn't have experience with arenas/stadiums.

NDSUstudent
02-20-2013, 12:37 AM
Why can UND start their IPF construction when they are still $1.2 million short but NDSU can't?

Both projects are being done in phases.

aces1180
02-20-2013, 12:39 AM
Why can UND start their IPF construction when they are still $1.2 million short but NDSU can't?

It's UND...the rules don't apply.

Grizzled
02-20-2013, 12:52 AM

Have they started moving dirt already? Shovels in the ground? How did I miss that if they did?

NDSUstudent
02-20-2013, 12:56 AM
Have they started moving dirt already? Shovels in the ground? How did I miss that if they did?

They will break ground on May 1st...

Answer Guy
02-20-2013, 01:16 AM

UND has more than enough to start Phase I, (the practice area) and need $1.2 million to finish Phase II (lockers, weight room, etc).

Wasn't Phase I of your project actually the track building?

It's UND...the rules don't apply.

And that.

NDSUstudent
02-20-2013, 01:19 AM
UND has more than enough to start Phase I, (the practice area) and need $1.2 million to finish Phase II (lockers, weight room, etc).

Wasn't Phase I of your project actually the track building?

And that.

The track was a serperate project as far as I understand. Phase 1 as far as I know is this....

Administrative / Basketball Practice Facility Phase I $13,200,000
Basketball Practice Court Addition
Men’s and Women’s Basketball Complex
Team Meeting Rooms and Video Centers
Individual Player Locker Areas
New Complex Entry and Ticket Office
Bison Hall of Fame
Athletic Staff Offices

Hammersmith
02-20-2013, 02:06 AM

What's been said above plus there's a difference between new construction and renovation in the current SBHE policy. Not saying I agree with their policy, but there is a method inside their madness.

AjaxTheMighty
02-20-2013, 10:24 PM
TL Stroh does decent designs but 360 Architecture is the lead architect TL Stroh may get some input but 360 will be doing most of the design as TL Stroh doesn't have experience with arenas/stadiums.

Yeah, they do some 'decent' stuff. I will ask Terry on Sunday, if I see him, how TL Stroh fits into the scheme. I'm interested to know if he has any more inside info.

1998braves64
02-21-2013, 04:04 AM
Yeah, they do some 'decent' stuff. I will ask Terry on Sunday, if I see him, how TL Stroh fits into the scheme. I'm interested to know if he has any more inside info.

Be interested to know how much involvement he has. Would be surprised if a big firm like 360 would let him have too much leeway on their name. Guessing their is a lot of collaborating involved!

OrygunBison
02-21-2013, 07:33 AM
Terry is solid, in fact much better than solid. This is a leadership thing. An Architect can only design something nice if the client has the vision and will to do so. In my direct experience, the least expensive option is almost never the right thing to do when you are looking at a 50-year horizon. I love, love, love my home and the people of ND...but this attitude is so common and terribly frustrating. Everyone is so determined at every turn to pinch every penny and to always focus only on the most product for the amount of money. To me, our leading institutions should do more. I want my university to do more. Reach for the stars once in a while. It is okay to stand out in the crowd occasionally. Good lord, we made the jump to DI. That hasn't proven to be insurmountable. Start behaving (and building) like a D1 institution.

...and Gabe- brick, really?? That's all it'll take? Wow, I should take you into meetings with my clients. That kind of brilliance would really go over well. You, dude, are my ticket to the good life. This brick idea is really going to pay off for me.

GradBison
02-21-2013, 01:22 PM
...and Gabe- brick, really?? That's all it'll take? Wow, I should take you into meetings with my clients. That kind of brilliance would really go over well. You, dude, are my ticket to the good life. This brick idea is really going to pay off for me.

Gabe rolls with a brick veneer 24/7.

I keeeed! Section 9 represent!

HerdBot
02-21-2013, 02:32 PM
Terry is solid, in fact much better than solid. This is a leadership thing. An Architect can only design something nice if the client has the vision and will to do so. In my direct experience, the least expensive option is almost never the right thing to do when you are looking at a 50-year horizon. I love, love, love my home and the people of ND...but this attitude is so common and terribly frustrating. Everyone is so determined at every turn to pinch every penny and to always focus only on the most product for the amount of money. To me, our leading institutions should do more. I want my university to do more. Reach for the stars once in a while. It is okay to stand out in the crowd occasionally. Good lord, we made the jump to DI. That hasn't proven to be insurmountable. Start behaving (and building) like a D1 institution.

Man have you seen the siding on the track and field complex. Damn that is ugly. Looks like an industrial building. Brick, even on the bottom would look 100x better!

OrygunBison
02-21-2013, 03:04 PM
Man have you seen the siding on the track and field complex. Damn that is ugly. Looks like an industrial building. Brick, even on the bottom would look 100x better!

I guess this is my reminder why my profession exists.

OrygunBison
02-21-2013, 03:19 PM
Getting back to my initial point...

When a project like this starts, there usual is no money at all to do anything. It starts with the earliest concept images. Those images are the catalyst for everything that follows. If the design is nice, it can create fundraising momentum. If the need is great, more momentum. Where those two converge, great things can happen.

For the SHAC, I think that a nicer design would have really helped the fundraising effort, particularly in light of the need for the project. It might even be a completed project by now.

Perhaps the other thing that could have happened would have been to reduce just slightly what they want to accomplish through the project and build slightly less, but much nicer, space. That is what happened with the Fargodome. They could have gone the route of the UNIdome and got all of their program space in. Instead, they built less but better space and used that momentum to build the east addition a few years later. And yes, Gabe, clad in brick which is a clear characteristic of a succesful project..

Alas, hindsight...

The_Sicatoka
02-21-2013, 04:34 PM

Were they trying to match the exterior of the current BSA? ;)

NDSUstudent
02-21-2013, 05:41 PM
Kolpack nails it as usual.....

Bison football had every game last fall on the tube, a result of a sold-out Fargodome and state-wide interest that makes for attractive ad sales. Basketball isn’t there yet, although a new arena will go a long way toward that. I’m of the belief the BSA as it is now is a detriment of over 1,000 fans on average per game. Nobody wants to sit on a hard, old bleachers anymore; it’s just not the generational thing to do.

http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/2013/02/21/bison-hoops-tv-progress-is-there-albeit-slow-but-a-new-bsa-wouldnt-hurt-either/

EndZoneQB
02-21-2013, 05:44 PM
Gabe rolls with a brick veneer 24/7.

I keeeed! Section 9 represent!

You leave the FC out of this discussion!!

AjaxTheMighty
02-21-2013, 05:50 PM

It can be frustrating, especially to people more on the liberal side of spending, but North Dakota is a fiscally conservative state. This should not be a surprise. There is NO 'go big or go home' mottos here in this state. (Outside of one Nazi sympathizer) I want an areana that looks awesome too, but I know better. I think they will do a good job with what they have. As long as it doesn't have bleachers I will be fairly happy. But then again, I'm not a flashy guy...pretty easy to please. It's just that when you watch bball in that dump we have now, anything seems better at this point.

HerdBot
02-21-2013, 06:39 PM
Were they trying to match the exterior of the current BSA? ;)

As pathetic as it sounds, the new ugly stuff is a dramatic upgrade

IzzyFlexion
02-22-2013, 01:42 AM
[QUOTE=NDSUstudent;718029]Kolpack nails it as usual.....

Bison football had every game last fall on the tube, a result of a sold-out Fargodome and state-wide interest that makes for attractive ad sales. Basketball isn’t there yet, although a new arena will go a long way toward that. I’m of the belief the BSA as it is now is a detriment of over 1,000 fans on average per game. Nobody wants to sit on a hard, old bleachers anymore; it’s just not the generational thing to do.

Righto!
And it will be nice to have 5,500 empty chairback seats while the ND State Basketball Tournament is held in Bismarck, Minot, or Grand Forks until the end of time.

roadwarrior
02-22-2013, 01:47 AM
And it will be nice to have 5,500 empty chairback seats while the ND State Basketball Tournament is held in Bismarck, Minot, or Grand Forks until the end of time.

The Fargodome has hosted the state high school basketball tournaments.

IzzyFlexion
02-22-2013, 03:18 AM
The Fargodome has hosted the state high school basketball tournaments.

Meh.
Throw some hardwood down on the middle of the dome floor.....then play some hoops in there. That, I'd like to see.

aces1180
02-26-2013, 06:38 PM
A review of the BSA...

http://www.stadiumjourney.com/stadiums/bison-sports-arena-s853

missingnumber7
02-26-2013, 06:56 PM
Meh.
Throw some hardwood down on the middle of the dome floor.....then play some hoops in there. That, I'd like to see.Dome is to big to host any State tourney any more. Not because the kids don't diserve to play there, but because there just isn't a fan following. If they moved to a Super B it might be worth while...but the atmosphere sucks in there. Especially for the afternoon games. And the tin shack up north isn't any better. If they get the BSA finished it would be a ligitimate site to host B girls easily.

fargocyclone
02-27-2013, 12:47 AM
A review of the BSA...

http://www.stadiumjourney.com/stadiums/bison-sports-arena-s853

I was honestly expecting a much worse review than that. He actually made it sound quite nice!

1998braves64
02-27-2013, 02:55 AM
I was honestly expecting a much worse review than that. He actually made it sound quite nice!

My thoughts too, he conveniently left out the west side seats are closer together than an airplane (is this going to be fixed when they remodel as I'm assuming this is because of the stadium beam layout?) and the east side bleachers are akin to sitting on granite slabs. And didn't mention the added amenity of bring your swimsuit and allow yourself to bask in the sauna while you take in the great game!

NDSUstudent
02-27-2013, 03:11 AM
My thoughts too, he conveniently left out the west side seats are closer together than an airplane (is this going to be fixed when they remodel as I'm assuming this is because of the stadium beam layout?) and the east side bleachers are akin to sitting on granite slabs. And didn't mention the added amenity of bring your swimsuit and allow yourself to bask in the sauna while you take in the great game!

All the chairback seats will be replaced with wider seats I'm sure.

heckler
03-12-2013, 10:20 PM
I have an interview for a new position at work. If I get the job I will donate $2000 to the SHAC the next day. Pennies to what some people give.

bisonaudit
03-15-2013, 08:53 PM
If only we could get Kristen Bell to promote the BSA renovation...

HerdBot
03-15-2013, 11:20 PM
I have an interview for a new position at work. If I get the job I will donate $2000 to the SHAC the next day. Pennies to what some people give.

Good luck. Actually it makes a big difference. Thats 1% of 2 million. If my math is right, if 999 more people donate 2 grand we would be at the goal of 2 million. For an alumni and fan base of our size, thats doable. Sure beats the $25 a month I do but if 20 people do it thats almost 6 grand or 3% of goal. Heck Bisonville should be able to pull it off. Heck section 21 could do it! We have 13k season ticket holders for football alone and 15k who spend a ton of money to travel to Frisco! I easily dropped 3 grand on to Frisco

bisonaudit
03-15-2013, 11:36 PM
Clearly we need Kristen Bell to Kickstart this thing.

HerdBot
03-16-2013, 12:15 AM
Clearly we need Kristen Bell to Kickstart this thing.

You must have turrets

Hammersmith
03-16-2013, 03:17 AM
You must have turrets
Yes, he's a very crenellated guy.

NorthernBison
03-16-2013, 03:43 AM
Good luck. Actually it makes a big difference. Thats 1% of 2 million. If my math is right, if 999 more people donate 2 grand we would be at the goal of 2 million. For an alumni and fan base of our size, thats doable. Sure beats the $25 a month I do but if 20 people do it thats almost 6 grand or 3% of goal. Heck Bisonville should be able to pull it off. Heck section 21 could do it! We have 13k season ticket holders for football alone and 15k who spend a ton of money to travel to Frisco! I easily dropped 3 grand on to Frisco

I'm thinking inflation in construction materials is moving that goal. Probably quite a bit. We all need to dig deeper if we want to get this done.

RowdyRabbit
03-16-2013, 06:03 AM

.1%

And I hope you get it built soon. Haven't been there, but games on tv make it look terribly dark in there.

Yes, it's 1 am and I'm on a rival forum being a decimal nazi. I should go to bed.

AjaxTheMighty
03-17-2013, 08:09 PM
.1%

And I hope you get it built soon. Haven't been there, but games on tv make it look terribly dark in there.

Yes, it's 1 am and I'm on a rival forum being a decimal nazi. I should go to bed.

Lets put it this way: it's like you get all excited to go to the theatre to watch a really good movie. But when you go in the theatre it's not a theatre at all, but a small prison. A prison that doesn't regulate temperature well. The upper levels are in the mid-90s. The lower in the 50s. Your seat is a bench...made out of TREE BRANCHES! Except not the comfortable kind of tree branches either. The old kind of tree branches with letters carved in them. And charred from past forest fires. There is also a mysterious voice that comes over the loud speaker. He sounds like he is broadcasting from the congo on Ham radio....But in the end, the movie is usually good enough to take your mind off of the oppressive conditions. You are not missing out on the BSA. That's for sure.

HerdBot
03-18-2013, 01:34 AM
.1%

I always screw up some sort of mundane detail.
http://www.sdraps.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/office-space-michael-bolton-300x225.jpg

1998braves64
03-21-2013, 04:13 AM
https://www.facebook.com/groups/274396969389/

They're pushing donations on Teammakers facebook page... the bar still shows 26.6 million.. But you would think they would update that thing every once in awhile if they're trying to keep people motivated to donate!

NDSUstudent
03-30-2013, 04:50 PM
Another update...On Steve's Sports Saturday GT said he hopes to have the fundraising in place by the end of the April and he said there is a 90% chance ground breaks this summer and is certain it will happen sometime in 2013.

http://podcast.flagfamily.com/?p=episode&name=2013-03-23_3-23-13_sss_hour_2.mp3

HoopsBison
03-30-2013, 05:02 PM
Another update...On Steve's Sports Saturday GT said he hopes to have the fundraising in place by the end of the April and he said there is a 90% chance ground breaks this summer and is certain it will happen sometime in 2013.

http://podcast.flagfamily.com/?p=episode&name=2013-03-23_3-23-13_sss_hour_2.mp3

Great news, but at this point its kind of one of those... I will believe it when I see it kind of deals...

AjaxTheMighty
03-31-2013, 04:29 PM
I have it on good authority that this will happen very very soon! Get ready Bison fans! One more year in that dump!!

westnodak93bison
03-31-2013, 04:38 PM
If ground breaks this summer would they play in the dome while construction takes place?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

HerdBot
03-31-2013, 05:07 PM
If ground breaks this summer would they play in the dome while construction takes place?

I think they do it in phases. Who knows? Would they have to gut the bsa before they start on the additions?

Hammersmith
03-31-2013, 05:48 PM

They shouldn't need to if they do it the way I think they will. The plans that have been released show three phases. The weight room needs to stay in operation year round, so I think the north half of the support side of the BSA will be done first. While that is going on, they'll also start work on the basketball practice courts on the southwest corner. Since that's new construction, they can begin work without too much disruption. Once the new weight room is finished in the northwest corner, the renovation of the south half of the support side can begin. The renovation of the arena side will begin as soon as the final basketball home game of the season is completed. Hopefully that will be just under a year from now. Since the basketball practice courts would be finished by then, they should have at least 8 solid months to complete the renovation. That should be enough time to get the job done. This is all speculation based on incomplete information and logic, so it could well be wrong. Take it with a couple grains of salt.

roadwarrior
03-31-2013, 07:17 PM
The basketball practice courts is all new construction (sw corner). The weight room is also mostly new construction (west side), along with the space now occupied by the empty swimming pool. The south side addition will also hold some admin offices, a new entrance and the ticket office. All of the above can begin without disturbing the existing space too much. There will also be an addition to the east side of the existing building to hold an upper and lower level concouse for the new basketball arena setup.

The plan is to do the arena portion during the basketball off season. So unless construction of that portion gets delayed there will not be any games moved to another location.

Obviously there will be a lot of shuffling around during the construction progress, especially in the admin, training, and locker room areas.

OrygunBison
03-31-2013, 07:32 PM
My guess is that they will be able to do all/most of the work within the arena itself within a six or seven month window if they can do the concourse work separately. They might even go faster if they expand the project working hours to allow construction to happen in the evening or night. (If interior only and not being loud at night.) While it is a lot of volume to work on, it is actually very simple construction work. The only reason that it wouldn't go even faster is that there are only limited numbers of different subcontactors necessary for this portion of the work and you can only do so much of the same type of work at one time...if that makes sense.

Gully
03-31-2013, 10:28 PM
So they could play in the new arena starting in the winter of 2014/2015 or 2015/2016?

roadwarrior
04-01-2013, 01:12 AM
So they could play in the new arena starting in the winter of 2014/2015 or 2015/2016?

That is the $35 million question.

North Side
04-01-2013, 11:52 PM

Can I get a phone a friend for this one?

sambini
04-02-2013, 05:35 AM
Just write the check....

Bison"FANatic"
04-02-2013, 03:15 PM

or is it 37 or 38 by now??????

SlickVic
04-03-2013, 03:33 AM
straight up bullcrap that this isnt done erv the perv was there now chasing amy those 2 cant finish this then shame on ndsu

NDSUstudent
04-03-2013, 05:19 AM
A very extensive update on the SHAC from Jeff Kolpack....

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/395152/

HerdBot
04-03-2013, 03:58 PM
A very extensive update on the SHAC from Jeff Kolpack....

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/395152/

" As of last week, Taylor said $31.75 million has been secured with a couple of major gift requests still on the table."

So were only 250k short plus inflation. Lets get er done! These small donations make a huge difference now!! Click here to donate https://www.ndsualumni.com/NetCommunity/SSLPage.aspx?SPSID=12312&SPID=715&DB_OEM_ID=2400&pid=1131&frcrld=1

roadwarrior
04-03-2013, 04:06 PM
You missed the part with the $35 million current cost.

Hammersmith
04-03-2013, 04:10 PM
" As of last week, Taylor said $31.75 million has been secured with a couple of major gift requests still on the table."

So were only 250k short plus inflation. Lets get er done! These small donations make a huge difference now!! Click here to donate https://www.ndsualumni.com/NetCommunity/SSLPage.aspx?SPSID=12312&SPID=715&DB_OEM_ID=2400&pid=1131&frcrld=1
More like $3.25 million if the plan is to go for the full $35 million allowed in the budget.

Still, big thanks to Kolpack for helping NDSU out like this. An article like this both gets the word out that fundraising is still going on and desired, but it also might be the push needed to tip those big donations over the edge.

edit: road beat me to the first part

HerdBot
04-03-2013, 04:11 PM
You missed the part with the $35 million current cost.

So 3.25 million short. Certainly within reach. https://www.ndsualumni.com/NetCommunity/SSLPage.aspx?SPSID=12312&SPID=715&DB_OEM_ID=2400&pid=1131&frcrld=1

bri-dog
04-03-2013, 04:20 PM
Powerball drawing is tonight. I'll let you all know tomorrow...

roadwarrior
04-03-2013, 05:19 PM
Last september the SBOHE approved the cost increase of the BSA project from $29,100,000 to $35,404,356

bisonmike2
04-03-2013, 06:31 PM
Last september the SBOHE approved the cost increase of the BSA project from $29,100,000 to $35,404,356

And by the time we get the 35 million the cost will increase to 40 million. :mad:

HerdBot
04-03-2013, 06:43 PM
And by the time we get the 35 million the cost will increase to 40 million. :mad:

Well aint you a Debbie Downer! You have to remember they increased the size of the building too. Apparently the weight room is much bigger now. No cutting corners.

silkamilkamonico
04-03-2013, 08:47 PM
I haven't really been following along with the SHAC. Does anyone know if the renovation will have the ability to be improved down the road to add more seats if needed?

Bison03
04-03-2013, 10:26 PM
I haven't really been following along with the SHAC. Does anyone know if the renovation will have the ability to be improved down the road to add more seats if needed?

6,000 seat arena is plenty big. Fill it up consistantly and it will be a great home court advantage. Just like filling up 18,700 in the dome consistantly. I know this has probably been discussed but what is the estimated build/rennovation timeframe? If construction starts this summer, is their any chance the new arena would be ready to play in by the 2014-15 season?

Hammersmith
04-04-2013, 12:18 AM
6,000 seat arena is plenty big. Fill it up consistantly and it will be a great home court advantage. Just like filling up 18,700 in the dome consistantly. I know this has probably been discussed but what is the estimated build/rennovation timeframe? If construction starts this summer, is their any chance the new arena would be ready to play in by the 2014-15 season?
If they break ground by the end of May, I think it's almost certain the arena will be ready by Nov 2014. If they don't break ground until late summer or fall, I'm not sure. I'm not sure if they'll move things around to still get the arena done by 2014 or if they'll have to push that phase back a year.

unbison
04-04-2013, 05:49 AM
It has not been let out for bid.... how is it gonna start in may?

NorthernBison
04-04-2013, 07:50 AM
It has not been let out for bid.... how is it gonna start in may?

The Kolpack story laid out a best case of awarding bids in July with construction to start shortly thereafter.

That assumes Legislative approval now, SBoHE approval in May and 4-6 week to submit bids.

North Side
05-12-2013, 03:04 AM
It seems kind of quiet out there, building was approved in the Governor's budget, I am guessing still waiting on a couple donations?

NDSUstudent
05-12-2013, 03:31 AM
It seems kind of quiet out there, building was approved in the Governor's budget, I am guessing still waiting on a couple donations?

That is basically what GT said Thursday on 740 the fan.

SDbison
05-12-2013, 03:54 AM
The BSA renovation project is the biggest joke ever.......from ND state handling of the situation requiring 100% funds available, to the way NDSU handled this entire thing. Totally laughable. Maybe NDSU should just drop to DIII. North Dakota leaders are stuck back in 1950's.

Honeybooboo
05-12-2013, 05:13 AM
The BSA renovation project is the biggest joke ever.......from ND state handling of the situation requiring 100% funds available, to the way NDSU handled this entire thing. Totally laughable. Maybe NDSU should just drop to DIII. North Dakota leaders are stuck back in 1950's.

why is it a joke? they are trying to get donations to do it, I'm pretty sure if someone dropped 35million when it started they would be building. I agree the ND Leg. is a joke but they did approve it upon full funding, what's ad about that? did you open your checkbook? nothing is perfect and I bet the farm when it does get built and finished people will still bitch

SlickVic
05-12-2013, 07:32 AM
why is it a joke? they are trying to get donations to do it, I'm pretty sure if someone dropped 35million when it started they would be building. I agree the ND Leg. is a joke but they did approve it upon full funding, what's ad about that? did you open your checkbook? nothing is perfect and I bet the farm when it does get built and finished people will still bitch

Your absoltuley right honey or as I like to say yes dear...they will because it will be the sam old same old bsa...if u asked me it shoulda been addition to fargodome or facelift the civix center down town shes a staple and to be honest a dear place in my heart great place to whatch hoops and its been my position all along to condemn the bsa tear it to the ground and start a new isnt that what d1s all about none of this fcs summitit leaugue shit im taklkin mac attack mac attack mac mac mac mac mac attack get on the horn for cripes sakes geno your hole operations starting to look like d2...as they say if the shoe fits where it...no thanks look people any way you slice it fcs champs = bantom wieght in the real world u win the mac its the orange blossom special aka miami florida eff frisco...any and all of you so called insiders I know craig bohls a private man and I respect that but ask him off the record what the score would be if hypothetically ndsu bison play northern illinois last year I can venture to guess an anser like john miller sai win tiger missed that putt in side 5 feet at the players today that only happens 9nce every hundred trys...exactly how id feel if jerry the cardiac kids old squad would of beat the bison last year

SDbison
05-12-2013, 01:38 PM
why is it a joke? they are trying to get donations to do it, I'm pretty sure if someone dropped 35million when it started they would be building. I agree the ND Leg. is a joke but they did approve it upon full funding, what's ad about that? did you open your checkbook? nothing is perfect and I bet the farm when it does get built and finished people will still bitch I am calling it like it is honey. Still an embarassment to have to wait this long for a RENOVATION and the state of ND sits on its hands like they are broke. They funded the majority of the original nearly 45 years ago. Seems to me the cheap bastards can pay the majority of the cost of a remodel. These same folks in the legislature and SBOHE waste more money every day on worthless programs that have no real value when said and done. And NDSU has not done itself any favors by sitting on this project for many years where months went by and not a peep about status of this failed fundraising. Yes, failed......it has taken WAY TOO LONG, and they are not there yet!

SDbison
05-12-2013, 01:41 PM
It seems kind of quiet out there, building was approved in the Governor's budget, I am guessing still waiting on a couple donations? Key two words........."still waiting".

BisoninNWMN
05-12-2013, 11:55 PM
Key two words........."still waiting".

GT said earlier in the week on 740 that they are waiting for all of the money to be in place before they start anything. Hopefully this thing gets started soon.

TbonZach
05-13-2013, 02:52 AM
GT said earlier in the week on 740 that they are waiting for all of the money to be in place before they start anything. Hopefully this thing gets started soon.

Which is clearly NDSU's fault, and not those who are/aren't donating.

Honeybooboo
05-13-2013, 03:19 PM
I am calling it like it is honey. Still an embarassment to have to wait this long for a RENOVATION and the state of ND sits on its hands like they are broke. They funded the majority of the original nearly 45 years ago. Seems to me the cheap bastards can pay the majority of the cost of a remodel. These same folks in the legislature and SBOHE waste more money every day on worthless programs that have no real value when said and done. And NDSU has not done itself any favors by sitting on this project for many years where months went by and not a peep about status of this failed fundraising. Yes, failed......it has taken WAY TOO LONG, and they are not there yet!

fair enough...

SlickVic
05-16-2013, 04:03 AM
May 15 is past april last I check some april fools joke mean gene this is never getting done scheels sanford prob wants thier money back

westnodak93bison
05-16-2013, 07:32 PM
May 15 is past april last I check some april fools joke mean gene this is never getting done scheels sanford prob wants thier money back

Slick, I'll bet you a beer construction starts before Sept 1, 2013.

HerdBot
06-04-2013, 07:14 PM
We've been trying to raise money for 3 years and we're very close but it's frustrating that it's still not completed. Are we taking advantage of our resources?

We have a giant radio network that spans nearly 3 states, a TV Network that goes statewide and simulcast nationally on ESPN3/Fox College Sports, games that have 19,000 fans, a tailgating lot that is packed, a 30 minute pregame show that ran 30 times over the last 2 years, the Craig Bohl Footbal Show, weekly radio shows like Bison Feedback...and NOT ONCE have I heard a damn word on the SHAC.

Are these guys NOT working together? Seriously. Is everyone so caught up in their own world that they can't come together with a plan to feed off each other? Where is the leadership?

Most people don't have a clue that this project will benefit the ENTIRE ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT and they think it's just a baskeball arena.

OVER THE LAST 2 YEARS, I HAVE NOT ONCE SEEN...
1) A table at a football game promoting the SHAC.
2) I have never been approached by anyone while tailgating
3) I have never seen anything at the last 3 fan days or spring games
4) I have only head Gene Taylor mention it once on TV. Think about it. Every home game was televised yet I've never seen a commercial much less a mention by the broadcast team. There have been games that have gotten a 50 share and have been simulcast nationally on ESPN3 or Fox College Sports. How about a rendering on TV?
5) Bison pregame show? Never a mention
6) I have never received an email on the project
7) I have never received a letter on the project
8) I haven't seen anything on facebook
9) I haven't heard anything at the Bison Showcase
10) I have never seen anything on the video board at the Bison football games
11) I have never once heard how the project will benefit the ENTIRE athletic department, including the football team.
12) Has the Bison Bandwagon talked about it?
13) How about the Bison radio shows?

I can't blame one person but the entire university needs to work together. If my sales organization ran like that, eveyone would be canned. It's unacceptable. We are coming off of back to back national championships. We've made the playoffs 3 years in a row. We have a fan base of 15,000 fans that travel to texas and spend thousands of dollars. We are the largest school and have a tradition that dates back to the 1960's. Our track and field, softball, wrestling, volleyball, and mens basketball teams have all made the national tournament or had major success.

Work together and get this thing done. Hell I haven't seen anything at a basketball game much less football!

If we take this approach, we could raise enough money for an indoor practice facility in 9 months!

56BISON73
06-04-2013, 08:13 PM
We've been trying to raise money for 3 years and we're very close but it's frustrating that it's still not completed. Are we taking advantage of our resources?

We have a giant radio network that spans nearly 3 states, a TV Network that goes statewide and simulcast nationally on ESPN3/Fox College Sports, games that have 19,000 fans, a tailgating lot that is packed, a 30 minute pregame show that ran 30 times over the last 2 years, the Craig Bohl Footbal Show, weekly radio shows like Bison Feedback...and NOT ONCE have I heard a damn word on the SHAC.

Are these guys NOT working together? Seriously. Is everyone so caught up in their own world that they can't come together with a plan to feed off each other? Where is the leadership?

Most people don't have a clue that this project will benefit the ENTIRE ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT and they think it's just a baskeball arena.

OVER THE LAST 2 YEARS, I HAVE NOT ONCE SEEN...
1) A table at a football game promoting the SHAC.
2) I have never been approached by anyone while tailgating
3) I have never seen anything at the last 3 fan days or spring games
4) I have only head Gene Taylor mention it once on TV. Think about it. Every home game was televised yet I've never seen a commercial much less a mention by the broadcast team. There have been games that have gotten a 50 share and have been simulcast nationally on ESPN3 or Fox College Sports. How about a rendering on TV?
5) Bison pregame show? Never a mention
6) I have never received an email on the project
7) I have never received a letter on the project
8) I haven't seen anything on facebook
9) I haven't heard anything at the Bison Showcase
10) I have never seen anything on the video board at the Bison football games
11) I have never once heard how the project will benefit the ENTIRE athletic department, including the football team.
12) Has the Bison Bandwagon talked about it?
13) How about the Bison radio shows?

I can't blame one person but the entire university needs to work together. If my sales organization ran like that, eveyone would be canned. It's unacceptable. We are coming off of back to back national championships. We've made the playoffs 3 years in a row. We have a fan base of 15,000 fans that travel to texas and spend thousands of dollars. We are the largest school and have a tradition that dates back to the 1960's. Our track and field, softball, wrestling, volleyball, and mens basketball teams have all made the national tournament or had major success.

Work together and get this thing done. Hell I haven't seen anything at a basketball game much less football!

If we take this approach, we could raise enough money for an indoor practice facility in 9 months!

I went in last year to write an extra check to TM. Simmers pulled out the SHAC material and said "this is our # 1 priority right now." After listening to the SHAC proposal I decided to put my money in to the scholarship fund as originally intended.

So in fact they ARE pushing for SHAC donations. Question is how many are also opting to not donate to the shac? People put their money where they want to.

HerdBot
06-04-2013, 08:44 PM
I went in last year to write an extra check to TM. Simmers pulled out the SHAC material and said "this is our # 1 priority right now." After listening to the SHAC proposal I decided to put my money in to the scholarship fund as originally intended.

So in fact they ARE pushing for SHAC donations. Question is how many are also opting to not donate to the shac? People put their money where they want to.

Curious, what didn't you like about the proposal?

Obviously Simmers is pushing it but I have to wonder why they are not taking advantage of our media and Cross marketing?

56BISON73
06-04-2013, 09:55 PM

Obviously Simmers is pushing it but I have to wonder why they are not taking advantage of our media and Cross marketing?

Never said I didnt like the proposal. I just wanted my money to go towards scholarships.

BisonNation11
06-05-2013, 12:30 AM

If you ask my opinion (and I know you're not) but I'd say NDSU is in quite the pickle fundraising wise. They are trying to promote and expand Team Makers as much as possible to generate money to pay for scholarships/etc. and raise money for the SHAC that only gives people one priority point for something that isn't exactly grabbing anyone's attention. A trip to the NCAA's might have helped, but people want points to get tickets, tailgating spots, etc. for football. It's unfortunate, but the SHAC in the eyes of those donating money won't help them as much to get what they want (points). Now if you were looking to expand the Dome...

Bisonguy
06-05-2013, 12:41 AM
Don't need to expand the dome. I've heard you can just remove the columns.
If you ask my opinion (and I know you're not) but I'd say NDSU is in quite the pickle fundraising wise. They are trying to promote and expand Team Makers as much as possible to generate money to pay for scholarships/etc. and raise money for the SHAC that only gives people one priority point for something that isn't exactly grabbing anyone's attention. A trip to the NCAA's might have helped, but people want points to get tickets, tailgating spots, etc. for football. It's unfortunate, but the SHAC in the eyes of those donating money won't help them as much to get what they want (points). Now if you were looking to expand the Dome...

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

HerdBot
06-05-2013, 01:41 AM

Your spot on with the priority points. I dont think were in a tough spot. Were only 2 million short so its somewhat working, but I think we just need a different approach. If we can raise that much money with no cross promotion, think what we could do if we did it better. I think they are flat out doing this in an old school way that doesn't work. Phone calls cant be the primary way anymore. Get with the technology and media. Our strength is our football media and they are not leveraging it at all.

BisonNation11
06-05-2013, 01:52 AM
Your spot on with the priority points. I dont think were in a tough spot. Were only 2 million short so its somewhat working, but I think we just need a different approach. If we can raise that much money with no cross promotion, think what we could do if we did it better. I think they are flat out doing this in an old school way that doesn't work. Phone calls cant be the primary way anymore. Get with the technology and media. Our strength is our football media and they are not leveraging it at all.

I agree with you. If it were up to me, I'd run a promotion. Donate to whatever cause they want now or in the future from a certain time to a certain time, and you get double the points you normally would. Benefits both parties.

HerdBot
06-05-2013, 02:57 AM
I agree with you. If it were up to me, I'd run a promotion. Donate to whatever cause they want now or in the future from a certain time to a certain time, and you get double the points you normally would. Benefits both parties.

Have you seen the latest update on the edge website? http://gobison.com/edge

silkamilkamonico
06-05-2013, 05:41 PM

I'd be happy if the marginal marketing guru's give the basketball team a little more exposure leading up to the season until waiting until it actually starts. If they can't figure that out I'm not surprised they have failed so miserably on reaching their mark to start the SHAC.

silkamilkamonico
06-05-2013, 05:41 PM
Have you seen the latest update on the edge website? http://gobison.com/edge

It says "error". Shall I read between the lines?

North Side
06-07-2013, 02:59 PM
It says "error". Shall I read between the lines? Its ALIVE!

imabison
06-07-2013, 03:23 PM
Its ALIVE!

Of course its alive, someone at NDSU read the post realized when the new website was put up they missed
a link. Good Job to them for fixing it.

BisonNation11
06-07-2013, 03:24 PM
Interesting how they took the bar graph showing how far they have come with donations off of there...

SlickVic
06-08-2013, 05:49 AM
While theres many things I admire about PL. first and foremost has to be "team player"...he has a knack for putting aside personal preferances and doin whats best for the team...its no wonder why hes still to this day regarded as one of the all time greats

BlueBisonRock
06-08-2013, 07:03 AM
While theres many things I admire about PL. first and foremost has to be "team player"...he has a knack for putting aside personal preferances and doin whats best for the team...its no wonder why hes still to this day regarded as one of the all time greats

You bring up an excellent point there Slickster! Having traveled to away games with PL, having watched the man pull together some fantastic tailgate menus, as well as knowing he acquired championship tickets for a couple hundred of his closest friends, I see the team player that you are referencing. I credit you for making this connection and for giving PL the recognition that he is due! Who knows, he might just have something left on the field.

SDbison
06-08-2013, 05:16 PM
North Dakota Legislature + BSA fundraising = FAIL

North Side
06-09-2013, 06:32 AM
UND is taking down the old Ralph to put in the indoor practice/track facility..... if they get that built before we have the SHAC I might just off the Fargodome

HerdBot
06-09-2013, 06:05 PM
UND is taking down the old Ralph to put in the indoor practice/track facility..... if they get that built before we have the SHAC I might just off the Fargodome

Some day we will have an indoor practice facility after the shac is built. I have a vision of it on University Drive where the grass fields sit. (Closest to the street) And Bison fans will donate quickly because its football. They will see value in it. Right now their perception is the SHAC is not for football, when in reality it will be used by football too with the weight room, academic lounge, ways to impress recruits, etc. Plus all fans will love the new team store, ticket office, and hall of fame display. The fund raising team isnt getting that point across very well in my opinion

Yellow
06-11-2013, 01:20 PM

Paper says they will start construction this fall. I have a feeling it will be done before the SHAC.

AjaxTheMighty
06-11-2013, 02:22 PM
Looks like its on like donkey kong for the SHAC?

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/402714/

BisonNation11
06-12-2013, 01:27 AM
Paper says they will start construction this fall. I have a feeling it will be done before the SHAC.

This will easily be done before the SHAC even if they both started at the same time. They are starting from new whereas only part of the SHAC is new while the rest is renovated and must be kept "usable" to a certain extent all while work is done.

SDbison
06-13-2013, 12:31 AM
Looks like its on like donkey kong for the SHAC?

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/402714/ How is that? I will believe it when I see it. Funds not there yet, approval from legislature pending. ND still living in dark ages.

Hammerhead
07-29-2013, 07:04 PM
According to The Fool-em, the plans are being finalized and they will be seeking bids for the work. Then we'll know how much money still needs to be raised.
http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/407459/group/Sports/

roadwarrior
08-12-2013, 09:07 AM
Advertisement for bids is in today's paper. Bid opening on Sep 19th.

westnodak93bison
08-12-2013, 01:03 PM

Sweet!

Tatanka
08-12-2013, 02:01 PM
Advertisement for bids is in today's paper. Bid opening on Sep 19th.http://replygif.net/i/1207.gif

SDbison
08-12-2013, 02:46 PM
So what is in the final plans? Doesn't the state need to first approve the number of urinals, or size of the crappers? What happens if the lowest bid is $0.10 more that the approved amount? Will construction need to wait 3 months until some bureaucrat can look over the numbers and approve? Love the scrunity on these university expenditures. Wish the State and Federal government had as much focus on the millions they waste every day (actually every hour or minute). Can't even expect the losers in legislature to read the bills they put up for vote, but they can sure as hell scrutinize a privately funded project.
If most of you see this stuff going on and can just look the other way I know there is no hope for this country.

1998braves64
08-12-2013, 06:08 PM
So what is in the final plans? Doesn't the state need to first approve the number of urinals, or size of the crappers? What happens if the lowest bid is $0.10 more that the approved amount? Will construction need to wait 3 months until some bureaucrat can look over the numbers and approve? Love the scrunity on these university expenditures. Wish the State and Federal government had as much focus on the millions they waste every day (actually every hour or minute). Can't even expect the losers in legislature to read the bills they put up for vote, but they can sure as hell scrutinize a privately funded project.
If most of you see this stuff going on and can just look the other way I know there is no hope for this country.

The money required is suppose to cover what the expected cost is + a set amount (that was increased after track facility was built due to that amount no longer needing to be included in the BSA part of the project) of "overrun". So if they come in $35,000,000.10 then the architects and engineers did not give NDSU a very good estimate of what they believe it should cost. I'm guessing there will be various alternates (almost a certainty with a project of this nature and funding mechanism) to try to keep the low bid from coming in over the $35 mil or whatever it's at now.

coloradobison
08-12-2013, 08:57 PM

Can't sleep anticipating 373?

roadwarrior
08-14-2013, 09:36 PM
Plans have been submitted to the City of Fargo for approval, which is necessary before a building permit is issued.

BadlandsBison
08-14-2013, 09:44 PM
Who is the architect/engineer?

roadwarrior
08-14-2013, 09:58 PM
Who is the architect/engineer?

Terry Stroh

1998braves64
08-15-2013, 03:23 AM
Terry Stroh

360 Architecture is also involved. http://360architects.com/portfolio/more-projects/Arenas That link might get some people excited about seating quantity. My guess on engineer is Heyer Engineering as they typically have done Stroh projects in the past.

missingnumber7
08-15-2013, 02:38 PM
360 Architecture is also involved. http://360architects.com/portfolio/more-projects/Arenas That link might get some people excited about seating quantity. My guess on engineer is Heyer Engineering as they typically have done Stroh projects in the past.BISON SPORTS ARENA RENOVATION, NORTH DAKOTA STATE UNIVERSITY
FARGO, ND | 7,500 SEATS
DEVANEY CENTER RENOVATION, UNIVERSITY OF NEBRASKA – LINCOLN
LINCOLN, NE | 9,000 SEATS

Not bad only 1500 seats less than the huskers.

tony
08-15-2013, 04:16 PM
7500 is a nice number. No need to play in the FargoDome once that's done.

1998braves64
08-15-2013, 04:35 PM
Wondering if that is a good number though may have some fluff in it. Hasn't it been stated it is around 6,600??
Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express

SDbison
08-15-2013, 04:53 PM
Where are the latest plans?

1998braves64
08-15-2013, 08:59 PM
Where are the latest plans?

Plans have been submitted to the City of Fargo for approval, which is necessary before a building permit is issued.

answered boom! (I do know what you mean... once I see them on exchange I'll take a look at them)

North Side
08-17-2013, 05:11 AM
I thought the plans only called for 5,000 seats?

roadwarrior
08-17-2013, 05:30 AM
5,945 seats after they are done

sambini
08-17-2013, 09:20 AM
Road did you count those seats? Like Dacotah Field days of 18k...

SDbison
08-17-2013, 07:23 PM
5,945 seats after they are done Way too small.......

1998braves64
08-19-2013, 04:29 PM
plans are at FM builders exchange (assume others in the area have them also).

SDbison
08-19-2013, 05:17 PM
plans are at FM builders exchange (assume others in the area have them also). Not familiar.......is there a website to view pdf's?

pwbnd
08-19-2013, 05:23 PM
BISON SPORTS ARENA RENOVATION, NORTH DAKOTA STATE UNIVERSITY
FARGO, ND | 7,500 SEATS
DEVANEY CENTER RENOVATION, UNIVERSITY OF NEBRASKA – LINCOLN
LINCOLN, NE | 9,000 SEATS

Not bad only 1500 seats less than the huskers.

The Devaney Center in Lincoln is now their volleyball and wrestling venue I believe. Basketball is moving to the new 16,000 seat Pinnacle Bank Arena this season.

1998braves64
08-19-2013, 05:36 PM
Not familiar.......is there a website to view pdf's?

Only if you're a member of exchanges (Fargo, GF, Bismarck, and I believe was Sioux Falls), would be my guess. I have access to them, not sure I can email a full sets (split into structural, architectural, mechanical and electrical) as they are extremely large files (40-80MB).

SDbison
08-19-2013, 06:33 PM
Only if you're a member of exchanges (Fargo, GF, Bismarck, and I believe was Sioux Falls), would be my guess. I have access to them, not sure I can email a full sets (split into structural, architectural, mechanical and electrical) as they are extremely large files (40-80MB). OK, Thanks! Guess I will wait for the simplified final versions that will hopefully be shared with the public.

RedRiver
08-19-2013, 09:22 PM
plans are at FM builders exchange (assume others in the area have them also).
That must mean that the project is out for bids? What is the bid deadline date?

1998braves64
08-19-2013, 09:57 PM
That must mean that the project is out for bids? What is the bid deadline date?

yes, september 19th 2pm

Herd
09-09-2013, 01:30 AM
OK, bids are out, so When will contruction begin?
Will it impact the BSA for the upcoming BB season?
Where will the Bison play during construction?
What season will we be playing full time in the new areana? Whats the schedule?

roadwarrior
09-09-2013, 02:16 AM

Bids will be opened on Sep 19th. If they fall within the budget, the SBOHE will approve the project go ahead at their meeting the following week. Then it will be up to the contractors to get it going.

The project will be done in phases. There will be impacts to almost all areas of the building as it is renovated. There isn't much space not being renovated so I am sure it will be tricky. I would guess the building additions would be the first place to start. There are additions planned on all sides of the current building. They plan on renovating the basketball arena portion between the end of a basketball season and the start of the following season, so there should be no games moved to other locations. I don't have the knowledge of what year that will happen.

Bison bison
09-09-2013, 02:18 AM
I bid one dollar.

BisonNation11
09-09-2013, 02:33 AM
I bid one dollar.

I bid Gabe's sign he spent millions for but never received. That should put me right up there as a leading candidate for the job.

56BISON73
09-09-2013, 02:36 AM
Bids will be opened on Sep 19th. If they fall within the budget, the SBOHE will approve the project go ahead at their meeting the following week. Then it will be up to the contractors to get it going.

The project will be done in phases. There will be impacts to almost all areas of the building as it is renovated. There isn't much space not being renovated so I am sure it will be tricky. I would guess the building additions would be the first place to start. There are additions planned on all sides of the current building. They plan on renovating the basketball arena portion between the end of a basketball season and the start of the following season, so there should be no games moved to other locations. I don't have the knowledge of what year that will happen.

There better be a bar and brick. If not make sure he gets a FREE yard sign.

1998braves64
09-10-2013, 04:37 AM

As Road said bid letting (public opening in laymans terms) is September 19th, if it doesn't get extended projects of this nature do have a tendency to get bid extensions but they had it out for quite awhile so most likely not. I'm guessing schedule will be laid out so that Phases can be done without interruption primarily to basketball playing in the arena, most of the rest of the building/additions will be able to be done at times that will cause the least disruptions. Phase II may have sort of A & B part to it as that is generally locker room/offices so they may be shuffling ppl back and forth in that Phase.

The only impact I could see is if they can start this winter is if they start the foundations for the additions the south side Main entrance could be blocked off during the basketball season

construction of the arena is planned over the summer and fall months while basketball is not being played (this could change depending on a schedule a contractor may propose in order to meet budget?)

Road has good info according to the specs they generally laid it out in 3 phases. Phase I is additions (ticket office area on south side, bball practice and west side addition and the old swimming pool removal and weight room area which will be moved somewhat where the old pool was (I think if I remember the plans right) Phase II is office area and north entrance area. Phase III is the main arena and the east addition(although that may sneak into Phase II just to allow time to do the rest of the Phase III in the matter of 5-6months).

No set timeline as not sure if they have the required amount of money. They do have a fair amount of alternates which I'm guessing they'll try to use to make it come in under what amount they do have raised.

If bids come in over $35-36 million (after taking off all nonessential alternates) we will still be waiting.

imabison
09-10-2013, 05:01 PM
As Road said bid letting (public opening in laymans terms) is September 19th, if it doesn't get extended projects of this nature do have a tendency to get bid extensions but they had it out for quite awhile so most likely not. I'm guessing schedule will be laid out so that Phases can be done without interruption primarily to basketball playing in the arena, most of the rest of the building/additions will be able to be done at times that will cause the least disruptions. Phase II may have sort of A & B part to it as that is generally locker room/offices so they may be shuffling ppl back and forth in that Phase.

The only impact I could see is if they can start this winter is if they start the foundations for the additions the south side Main entrance could be blocked off during the basketball season

construction of the arena is planned over the summer and fall months while basketball is not being played (this could change depending on a schedule a contractor may propose in order to meet budget?)

Road has good info according to the specs they generally laid it out in 3 phases. Phase I is additions (ticket office area on south side, bball practice and west side addition and the old swimming pool removal and weight room area which will be moved somewhat where the old pool was (I think if I remember the plans right) Phase II is office area and north entrance area. Phase III is the main arena and the east addition(although that may sneak into Phase II just to allow time to do the rest of the Phase III in the matter of 5-6months).

No set timeline as not sure if they have the required amount of money. They do have a fair amount of alternates which I'm guessing they'll try to use to make it come in under what amount they do have raised.

If bids come in over $35-36 million (after taking off all nonessential alternates) we will still be waiting.

Short story on WDAY last night adv that they are still fundraising but hope to hit the goal by the time the
bids are received. NDSU will have 1 week to consider the bids, then accept and off to the state for approval.

I think they said 80 plus contractors bidding on the job.

1998braves64
09-10-2013, 05:47 PM
I think they said 80 plus contractors bidding on the job.
Didn't know they figured that close in fundraising (now wonder if they have a big donation and they're willing to pony up a little extra if the overrage on the bids isn't excessive?

I would say 10 GENERAL contractors at least are bidding it. the other 70 are sub contractors (really it is way more than that so not sure why this number gets thrown around?). Just so we're clear on that. No way a project in Fargo would get 80 GENERAL contractors bidding.

HerdBot
09-10-2013, 06:37 PM
Wow still no mention of the project or info on how to donate to it on a state wide televised game simulcast nationally on espn3. Not during the pregame, post game, half time, or during the breaks. I would bet there was no radio mention either. Seriously can we not leverage our TV and media? Blows me away. Have the flippin tv announcers talk about it and put a picture of the SHAC on the tv screen. Have the announcers say we're really fucking close and give out a website to donate. (can't swear on tv obviously) Blows since the next game isn't for 2 weeks which is when I think the bids come in. We should be striking when the irons hot. We just beat Kansas Fucking State and have back to back national championships. It's not going to get any hotter than it is right now. :facepalm:

1998braves64
09-11-2013, 01:36 AM
Wow still no mention of the project or info on how to donate to it on a state wide televised game simulcast nationally on espn3. Not during the pregame, post game, half time, or during the breaks. I would bet there was no radio mention either. Seriously can we not leverage our TV and media? Blows me away. Have the flippin tv announcers talk about it and put a picture of the SHAC on the tv screen. Have the announcers say we're really fucking close and give out a website to donate. (can't swear on tv obviously) Blows since the next game isn't for 2 weeks which is when I think the bids come in. We should be striking when the irons hot. We just beat Kansas Fucking State and have back to back national championships. It's not going to get any hotter than it is right now. :facepalm:

The fines from those two words alone might take care of any extra donations for SHAC! :D

56BISON73
09-11-2013, 01:48 AM

Why dont you send that exact message to GT. Be sure to post his reply.

HerdBot
09-11-2013, 04:29 AM
Why dont you send that exact message to GT. Be sure to post his reply.

I don't think he would want the announcers to say the word fuck on tv. But in all seriousness I will email him and post the response

missingnumber7
09-11-2013, 06:09 PM
Wow still no mention of the project or info on how to donate to it on a state wide televised game simulcast nationally on espn3. Not during the pregame, post game, half time, or during the breaks. I would bet there was no radio mention either. Seriously can we not leverage our TV and media? Blows me away. Have the flippin tv announcers talk about it and put a picture of the SHAC on the tv screen. Have the announcers say we're really fucking close and give out a website to donate. (can't swear on tv obviously) Blows since the next game isn't for 2 weeks which is when I think the bids come in. We should be striking when the irons hot. We just beat Kansas Fucking State and have back to back national championships. It's not going to get any hotter than it is right now. :facepalm:You could always make a banner for the game, or buy a commercial.

roadwarrior
09-11-2013, 06:17 PM
They made a decision years ago to raise this money quietly, behind the scenes. We can argue if that was the best decision or not. They didn't want people to get tired of constantly being asked to donate to the project. At this point it would be crazy to go the public for money when newspapers have already reported that bids will soon be opened. This is all in the past. Let's just hope for competitive bidding and get the project started!

bkit29
09-17-2013, 12:37 AM
Bid letting for the SHAC is this Thursday 9-19. I heard that demolition will start as soon as contracts are awarded.

1998braves64
09-17-2013, 01:49 AM
Bid letting for the SHAC is this Thursday 9-19. I heard that demolition will start as soon as contracts are awarded.
key will be awarding contracts... this always seems to be the hangup in construction especially if you're dealing with a over budget bid as the low bid. Will be anxious to hear how they turn out.

bkit29
09-17-2013, 02:10 AM
key will be awarding contracts... this always seems to be the hangup in construction especially if you're dealing with a over budget bid as the low bid. Will be anxious to hear how they turn out.

I hope bids come in within budget so NDSU doesn't have to use the lowest bid. With no money coming from the state, they can pick and choose whomever they want no matter of bid.

1998braves64
09-17-2013, 05:57 PM
I hope bids come in within budget so NDSU doesn't have to use the lowest bid. With no money coming from the state, they can pick and choose whomever they want no matter of bid.

Doesn't matter that money isn't coming from the state it's a public building (under the governance of SBOHE) so they're required to follow ND Century Code I believe in doing contracts for public bids on a public building. So they will have to award it to the lowest bidder. They can manipulate it by accepting certain alternates or rejecting it to some extent. Otherwise they have to show that there is a fault with the lowest bidder and that the bid is thereby invalid.

HerdBot
09-17-2013, 06:12 PM
Doesn't matter that money isn't coming from the state it's a public building (under the governance of SBOHE) so they're required to follow ND Century Code I believe in doing contracts for public bids on a public building. So they will have to award it to the lowest bidder. They can manipulate it by accepting certain alternates or rejecting it to some extent. Otherwise they have to show that there is a fault with the lowest bidder and that the bid is thereby invalid.

Hopefully the Game Day event inspires some additional donors so its irrelevant. If were not working the donors on Monday we really suck at raising money. After this we should be able to build an indoor practice facility

Bison"FANatic"
09-19-2013, 04:10 PM
Bids are due today!!!!!!!!!!

Should hear something by the end of the day as I am sure the Athletic Department has nothing going on;);):biggrin::biggrin:

missingnumber7
09-19-2013, 04:42 PM
Bids are due today!!!!!!!!!!

Should hear something by the end of the day as I am sure the Athletic Department has nothing going on;);):biggrin::biggrin: they should hire the guys that build the gameday set to build the BSA, New Arena by BBall season

roadwarrior
09-19-2013, 09:41 PM
The bids were opened this afternoon. The total of the lowest base bids for general, seating, mechanical and electrical minus one huge alternate (a jumbo generator) was $34,323,231. There were many other alternates which mostly reduced the bid amounts. I don't know if this number is good or bad in the eyes of the architect and NDSU people.

BisonNation11
09-19-2013, 09:49 PM
The bids were opened this afternoon. The total of the lowest base bids for general, seating, mechanical and electrical minus one huge alternate (a jumbo generator) was $34,323,231. There were many other alternates which mostly reduced the bid amounts. I don't know if this number is good or bad in the eyes of the architect and NDSU people.

As long as it puts a shovel in the ground soon, the number is good to me.

roadwarrior
09-19-2013, 09:51 PM
Jeff Kolpack was there. He most likely will get some reaction in print soon.

Fast50Dad
09-20-2013, 01:05 AM

Road, props to you. I was told of this around 530 tonight. Guess I need to up my family's away game attendance...

We're a little behind you. /purple font

Go Bison!

Hammersmith
09-20-2013, 01:09 AM
Jeff Kolpack was there. He most likely will get some reaction in print soon.

First reaction: http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/?p=89587

The BSA renovation: bids are in, but now what?

Posted on September 19, 2013 by Jeff Kolpack

There’s always a first in journalism and today was my first look at a construction bid opening. That was the case at the NDSU Memorial Union with the Bison Sports Arena renovation. In short, I can tell you this: nobody really knew late this afternoon if the bids came in low enough and we may not know for at least another week.

DIBISON
09-20-2013, 01:52 AM
I believe that the results of the bid opening has to be considered good news. The total bids are close to the budgeted amount approved by the SBOE. I was worried the bids would come in much higher which would then further delay this project.

Civil06
09-20-2013, 02:23 AM
I believe that the results of the bid opening has to be considered good news. The total bids are close to the budgeted amount approved by the SBOE. I was worried the bids would come in much higher which would then further delay this project.

You gotta remember, though, the bids only reflect construction costs. Add architect/engineering fees, legal fees, etc. to get the total project cost.

Was the amount approved by the legislature the total project cost including the indoor track? If so, I'd guess that the bids are higher than what NDSU was hoping for. It'll be interesting to see what can be done with alternates and whether or not contracts are awarded.

roadwarrior
09-20-2013, 03:44 AM
The indoor track was a separate project.

1998braves64
09-20-2013, 03:46 AM
You gotta remember, though, the bids only reflect construction costs. Add architect/engineering fees, legal fees, etc. to get the total project cost.

Was the amount approved by the legislature the total project cost including the indoor track? If so, I'd guess that the bids are higher than what NDSU was hoping for. It'll be interesting to see what can be done with alternates and whether or not contracts are awarded.
They reassigned the money required for track facility for construction costs increases on BSA. As far as hitting budget #s they (bids) technically went over as they allotted so.e of the 35 million for overruns as any major remodeling is going to have some unforeseen issues that will require extra work or materials.

That said the alternate deducts may get them there or NDSU has someone ready to donate a big chunk and they said well we will get you to 35 and if you need up to $x amount more we will cover it. Doesn't seem likely but... They have to be happy that it is really close to what they were expecting though.

imabison
09-20-2013, 03:12 PM
They reassigned the money required for track facility for construction costs increases on BSA. As far as hitting budget #s they (bids) technically went over as they allotted so.e of the 35 million for overruns as any major remodeling is going to have some unforeseen issues that will require extra work or materials.

That said the alternate deducts may get them there or NDSU has someone ready to donate a big chunk and they said well we will get you to 35 and if you need up to $x amount more we will cover it. Doesn't seem likely but... They have to be happy that it is really close to what they were expecting though.

I hope this works out, maybe they need to have buckets at the game tpmorrow to try to put it over the top..

RedRiver
09-25-2013, 01:36 PM
What's the final decision? Was budget made? Is NDSU going for approval this week from the SBOHE? Of will the project be delayed again?

1998braves64
09-25-2013, 02:05 PM
No official news TL Stroh said they were going to take this week to analyze bids before making a decision. The fact that it wasn't immediately obvious that any of the bids were low enough isn't a good sign but with removal of some alternates may get them there. At least they have a good "hard number" of where they need to be now.

Someone mentioned architectural / engineering fees maybe road can correct me but believe money has been approved and set aside (if not already mostly paid already) for that before design work began.

1998braves64
09-25-2013, 02:10 PM
The lowest bid I think came in just under budget, forgot to answer your question. But budget had overruns budgeted into it. There are likely to be change orders on a project of this nature for items not known or change required on plans to make something correct or better.

Civil06
09-25-2013, 02:37 PM
No official news TL Stroh said they were going to take this week to analyze bids before making a decision. The fact that it wasn't immediately obvious that any of the bids were low enough isn't a good sign but with removal of some alternates may get them there. At least they have a good "hard number" of where they need to be now.

Someone mentioned architectural / engineering fees maybe road can correct me but believe money has been approved and set aside (if not already mostly paid already) for that before design work began.

That was me. I was just stating that if the $35+/- million was total project cost and arch/eng would be a percent of construction, then the bids seem too high. I sure hope you're right about the professional fees being set aside so Gene can get out his golden shovel and break some ground.

RedRiver
09-25-2013, 02:57 PM

It was discussed before that NDSU would seek SBOHE approval this week for the project. I think that they are meeting today. If there is no approval then it's another month before the next meeting.

roadwarrior
09-25-2013, 04:16 PM
Architects fees were approved long ago, but I am pretty sure they need to be counted in the project total. I assumed that NDSU would go to the state board this week, but it is not on their agenda for today. The chancellor has some powers to get things rolling between meetings, and the meetings simply rubber stamp his decisions. I don't know if this could fall under those powers or not.

DIBISON
09-26-2013, 02:15 AM
TV6 Sports reported tonight that it will be a couple of more weeks until the architect and NDSU get through all of the bids to determine if the project will meet the $35 million budget approved by the legislature. So if the project meets budget but still needs SBOHE approval, who don't meet again for a month, it doesn't look like there will be any shovels in the ground this fall.

1998braves64
09-26-2013, 04:22 AM
Someone said chancellor could call a special meeting. Technically they still can put a shovel in the ground this fall yet. Just a schedule issue on the basketball arena if they don't want to interrupt basketball season.

WYOBISONMAN
09-26-2013, 12:11 PM
With the money fights that have swirled around NDSU, I bet they are very cautious with this.

1998braves64
09-26-2013, 01:24 PM
With the money fights that have swirled around NDSU, I bet they are very cautious with this.
Especially after the President House financial debacle (TL Stroh was the architect :hide: )

fanbison
09-26-2013, 03:38 PM
Especially after the President House financial debacle (TL Stroh was the architect :hide: )

What's your point? The cost of the house increased because of the change orders by Chapman which were APPROVED by the owners of the house...the Alumni Foundation. The pissing contest that ensued that DID NOT cost the taxpayer one dime...was all political in nature.

Maybe you should list all of the vendors from the President's house and indirectly implicate them as well. Then you can bitch about all of the "non local" vendors that were hired for the project.

cbline
09-26-2013, 04:33 PM
What's your point? The cost of the house increased because of the change orders by Chapman which were APPROVED by the owners of the house...the Alumni Foundation. The pissing contest that ensued that DID NOT cost the taxpayer one dime...was all political in nature.
Maybe you should list all of the vendors from the President's house and indirectly implicate them as well. Then you can bitch about all of the "non local" vendors that were hired for the project.

This fact gives me high blood pressure every time! The state gets a great asset on someone's elses budget, and then they piss & moan about it!

1998braves64
09-26-2013, 04:57 PM

Good thing I was under that chair. I just stated a fact TL Stroh was the architect; fair or not people at state level might remember that. The company I did work for was one of those "vendors" we supplied material to a contractor (who I believe donated the materials he used to NDSU Foundation if I remember right been too many years now). I guess I meant financial debacle for those on the outside looking in is how they viewed it. So if costs start overrunning on the BSA it's going to dredge up all the old matters along the same lines.

Regardless my point wasn't the President's house specifically. All I'm saying is TL Stroh sort of was in the middle of that, so I'm sure he's doing his due diligence to make sure NDSU isn't left out the dry by the BSA project, by the politics in SBOHE and legislature. And my feeling on why it's taking so long to go before the board.

imabison
09-26-2013, 05:01 PM
Good thing I was under that chair. I just stated a fact TL Stroh was the architect; fair or not people at state level might remember that. The company I did work for was one of those "vendors" we supplied material to a contractor (who I believe donated the materials he used to NDSU Foundation if I remember right been too many years now). I guess I meant financial debacle for those on the outside looking in is how they viewed it. So if costs start overrunning on the BSA it's going to dredge up all the old matters along the same lines.

Regardless my point wasn't the President's house specifically. All I'm saying is TL Stroh sort of was in the middle of that, so I'm sure he's doing his due diligence to make sure NDSU isn't left out the dry by the BSA project, by the politics in SBOHE and legislature. And my feeling on why it's taking so long to go before the board.

For one thing the board was only slight busy deciding on the new interim chancellor, so doubt they were not just sitting around.
All news reports did suggest it would take some time to review all the options for the BSA project.

1998braves64
09-26-2013, 05:13 PM
Didn't say SBOHE was sitting around..

The idea that was stated here was that the bid opening was on the 19th to allow them to take it before the board in the sept meeting which occurred yesterday. Don't know if this was ever an official plan. The board only takes up something that is put forth to them... not blaming them they haven't seen anything yet.

Having been in construction industry for awhile and quite familiar with this process. My feeling I get from reading between the lines is that yes the bids came in close to budget, but that budget was figuring bids would come in at approximately let say $32-$33 million allowing for a couple million freeboard for overruns and maybe a couple perks here and there. But since hard low bid came in at $35 million it leaves little room for overruns or perks, which means they have to play with alternates to get the lowest possible number to allow for the overruns. Doesn't mean it will not happen, they're just going to have to go about it very carefully. And yes it will take time to review the alternates to achieve the best option that NDSU is looking for. Worst case scenario is NDSU says we're still $X.X million short and go back to fund raising... in the meantime construction materials/labor will keep increasing.

roadwarrior
09-26-2013, 05:28 PM
It was never the official plan to go to the SBOHE yesterday, at least publicly. I was the one who suggested this might be the plan. Two years ago they opened bids on the indoor track building, and the following week went to the board for approval to get started. They also asked for and got approval to add $500,000 to that project due to the bids.

roadwarrior
09-26-2013, 05:34 PM
The president's house shouldn't be considered too much in this conversation. The Foundation was managing (and I use that term loosely) that project. Nobody was really paying attention to how much they were spending, and Chapman's ongoing "change orders" made things worse. Terry Stroh was caught in the middle, but I wouldn't put much of the blame on him. After that mess, NDSU is being very careful with their construction projects. The track building wasn't finished last year even though it was used last year. Installation of the spectator seating was delayed to make sure they didn't go over the budgeted amount. The seating was just installed this month. Nearly a year after the building was opened.

bisonaudit
09-26-2013, 06:03 PM
The president's house shouldn't be considered too much in this conversation. The Foundation was managing (and I use that term loosely) that project. Nobody was really paying attention to how much they were spending, and Chapman's ongoing "change orders" made things worse. Terry Stroh was caught in the middle, but I wouldn't put much of the blame on him. After that mess, NDSU is being very careful with their construction projects. The track building wasn't finished last year even though it was used last year. Installation of the spectator seating was delayed to make sure they didn't go over the budgeted amount. The seating was just installed this month. Nearly a year after the building was opened.

None of this is about where blame belongs or whether there's even any actual blame to be assigned. It's entirely about who some politicians are able to convince their constituents is to blame for something, whether or not that something actually exists and/or the target of their ire is actually responsible for it.

NorthernBison
09-27-2013, 03:15 PM
NDSU is being careful to do this project "by the book" and in a transparent manner. The primary reasons for that are past projects. Specifically the President's house and Barry Hall. Both of which were significantly over budget with some corners being cut with regard to oversight and approval.

Negative outcomes are remembered far longer than the positive ones. The Track Facility project went well and did a lot to restore faith in the ability of people running things at NDSU to manage large projects. All the more reason to make sure the SHAC is an additional "good outcome" to make things easier in the future.