PDA

View Full Version : Colten Heagle DID HE RECEIVE MEDICAL REDSHIRT

Kujava23
02-08-2013, 01:56 PM
Sorry if this has been discussed; I havent seen it

am curious if Colton Heagle received or applied for MEDICAL REDSHIRT since got hurt in game 2 this year---would be awesome if still had 2 years with him

BisonNation11
02-08-2013, 02:01 PM
Sorry if this has been discussed; I havent seen it

am curious if Colton Heagle received or applied for MEDICAL REDSHIRT since got hurt in game 2 this year---would be awesome if still had 2 years with him

When this was discussed before, I believe Kermit said we wouldn't know until after his "senior" year was played.

Kujava23
02-08-2013, 02:06 PM
So he'll play this year and see how is school workload looks and evaluate than if apply for Medical RS

NorthernBison
02-08-2013, 02:12 PM
So he'll play this year and see how is school workload looks and evaluate than if apply for Medical RS

I don't think so. He never redshirted so I believe that 2012 can serve as a redshirt season making him a Junior in 2013 (like 2012 never happened).

I don't think you can apply for a medical redshirt unless you have used your redshirt.

2010 Freshman
2011 Sophomore
2012 Redshirt
2013 RSJunior

Kujava23
02-08-2013, 02:18 PM
makes sense--thanks for info

Im excited if I get to watch Colton play 2 MORE YEARS!!! I really thought going into LAST year that he was our best defensive player

HerdBot
02-08-2013, 02:20 PM
I think Hinz will be eligible too since he missed this last year and played as a true freshman in 2010. Vraa should be too. Need these guys to balance out the numbers. Too many seniors next year. Someone mentioned Vadaland too

tony
02-08-2013, 02:24 PM
Well, getting a redshirt and using it are two different things.

Heck, he might graduate in four years and decide to move into the real world.

HerdBot
02-08-2013, 02:26 PM

True. You only get to play football once in your life and work and real world goes on until you're taking a dirt nap. Lets hope the passion is there

Jdubs21
02-08-2013, 02:34 PM
I beleive Mr. Heagle will have a legitimate shot at playing on sundays. He has Craig Dahl toughness and smarts, and both played and made big stops with clubs for hands.

IzzyFlexion
02-08-2013, 02:37 PM

pfft.
If that's the case, I'd sure like to have a chat with him before he makes that decision.

Bison"FANatic"
02-08-2013, 02:37 PM
I don't think so. He never redshirted so I believe that 2012 can serve as a redshirt season making him a Junior in 2013 (like 2012 never happened).

I don't think you can apply for a medical redshirt unless you have used your redshirt.

2010 Freshman
2011 Sophomore
2012 Redshirt
2013 RSJunior

I may be totally wrong but since he played downs he will have to apply for the "medical" redshirt and can't use it as a regular redshirt year. If he had been hurt in fall camp and never played in a game then he could have used a "regular" redshirt year. I do believe he will have to get clearance from the NCAA but I don't know if that is applied for now or after his Senior year.

EndZoneQB
02-08-2013, 02:49 PM
I may be totally wrong but since he played downs he will have to apply for the "medical" redshirt and can't use it as a regular redshirt year. If he had been hurt in fall camp and never played in a game then he could have used a "regular" redshirt year. I do believe he will have to get clearance from the NCAA but I don't know if that is applied for now or after his Senior year.

Wrong. It matters how much you have played. If you remember back, Sigers got a redshirt when he played at Iowa State and got injured. It's based on a percentage of the season, I believe. Heagle was eligible for regular redshirt season, if he wants it. Medical redshirts are not given until a player is a "Senior".

MNLonghorn10
02-08-2013, 03:15 PM
I beleive Mr. Heagle will have a legitimate shot at playing on sundays. He has Craig Dahl toughness and smarts, and both played and made big stops with clubs for hands.
jesus. The whole team is NFL ready according to bville.

Bison"FANatic"
02-08-2013, 03:33 PM
Wrong. It matters how much you have played. If you remember back, Sigers got a redshirt when he played at Iowa State and got injured. It's based on a percentage of the season, I believe. Heagle was eligible for regular redshirt season, if he wants it. Medical redshirts are not given until a player is a "Senior".

If that was the case every player would play a some and then get regular redshirt as they didn't play enough of the percentage qualify for a year. There is a difference between a regular redshirt, medical redshirt and then getting the 6th year of eligibility.

You lose your redshirt the minute you step on the field during a game and I believe have to apply to the NCAA to get it back if there is a medical condition that causes you to only play less than a certain percentage of the year.

THEsocalledfan
02-08-2013, 03:37 PM

It has happened with a star, AKA Dr. Arden Beachy.

tcbison
02-08-2013, 03:40 PM
jesus. The whole team is NFL ready according to bville.

I hear TAB is ready to move his tailgate to the NFL but he can't find a decent team to cheer for. I think he will take his medical redshirt and see what the next few years bring.

NorthernBison
02-08-2013, 03:59 PM
If that was the case every player would play a some and then get regular redshirt as they didn't play enough of the percentage qualify for a year. There is a difference between a regular redshirt, medical redshirt and then getting the 6th year of eligibility.

You lose your redshirt the minute you step on the field during a game and I believe have to apply to the NCAA to get it back if there is a medical condition that causes you to only play less than a certain percentage of the year.

Heagle will get a redshirt for 2012. It is NOT a medical hardship. Call it what you want. He will get 5 years to complete 4 years of eligibility just like everybody else does.

If he gets hurt in the next two years, there is a potential to apply for a sixth year of eligibilty. Those are carefully considered and approval is FAR from automatic.

EndZoneQB
02-08-2013, 04:00 PM
Heagle will get a redshirt for 2012. It is NOT a medical hardship. Call it what you want. He will get 5 years to complete 4 years of eligibility just like everybody else does.

If he gets hurt in the next two years, there is a potential to apply for a sixth year of eligibilty. Those are carefully considered and approval is FAR from automatic.

Non-sense, poopypants. If that were the case, everyone would be doing it...lol

Kujava23
02-08-2013, 04:18 PM

thanks for info

Bison"FANatic"
02-08-2013, 04:34 PM
So these are not right definitions

Redshirt year- player does not play and the year counts towards his 5 years to play 4

Medical Redshirt- Can be applied to any year a player participates in less than 30% of the season due to a qualified injury

Hardship waiver - applied for to the NCAA to get back a year of eligibility while in the 4 to play 5 time frame

Medical extention waiver- allows a player to play past the 5 year to play for because of being denied participation opportunity beyond their control

NDSU will file a hardship waiver that will include diagnosis of injury, acknowledgement that the injury is incapacitating and the length of said incapacitation. The NCAA will look at this information and then allow last year to count as a Medical Redshirt (due to injury will replace a regular redshirt) for Mr. Heagle.

Now if Mr. Heagle were to god forbid get injured again and he played less than 30% he could then apply for a Medical extension waiver.

NorthernBison
02-08-2013, 04:43 PM
So these are not right definitions

Redshirt year- player does not play and the year counts towards his 5 years to play 4

Medical Redshirt- Can be applied to any year a player participates in less than 30% of the season due to a qualified injury

Hardship waiver - applied for to the NCAA to get back a year of eligibility while in the 4 to play 5 time frame

Medical extention waiver- allows a player to play past the 5 year to play for because of being denied participation opportunity beyond their control

NDSU will file a hardship waiver that will include diagnosis of injury, acknowledgement that the injury is incapacitating and the length of said incapacitation. The NCAA will look at this information and then allow last year to count as a Medical Redshirt (due to injury will replace a regular redshirt) for Mr. Heagle.

Now if Mr. Heagle were to god forbid get injured again and he played less than 30% he could then apply for a Medical extension waiver.

I'll believe you. We're talking about the same thing and disputing definitions. Bottom line is that last year amounts to a Redshirt year and leaves him with two years of eligibility left.

DjKyRo
02-08-2013, 04:59 PM
Two things:

1. We can win games without Heagle. Obviously I'd rather he play than not play, but losing a year isn't the end of the world.
2. We have good depth building at the safety position and I'm excited to see those guys develop and play.
3. Frisco Cruiser Bus

Fast50Dad
02-08-2013, 05:29 PM
Two words, check pos rep.

BadlandsBison
02-08-2013, 05:30 PM
Two things:

1. We can win games without Heagle. Obviously I'd rather he play than not play, but losing a year isn't the end of the world.
2. We have good depth building at the safety position and I'm excited to see those guys develop and play.
3. Frisco Cruiser Bus

Going off course, but who else can play safety next season besides Heagle, Dudzik, #24 (Shepherd?) ?

BisonNation11
02-08-2013, 05:37 PM
Going off course, but who else can play safety next season besides Heagle, Dudzik, #24 (Shepherd?) ?

Roster of safeties and CB's as of this year. Personally I'm hoping to see Champion back there laying the wood.

33 Marcus Brantley S 5-9 181 Fr. Mesa, Ariz. (Red Mountain H.S.)
35 Christian Dudzik S 5-10 180 So. Omaha, Neb. (Skutt Catholic HS)
31 Grant Maris S 6-1 188 Fr. Gainesville, Fla. (St. Francis Catholic HS)
20 Colten Heagle SS 5-11 196 Jr. Appleton, Wis. (Kimberly HS)
10 Bobby Ollman SS 5-11 201 Sr. Meqoun, Wis. (Homestead HS)
29 A.J. Van Voorhis SS 5-9 184 Jr. Champlin, Minn. (Champlin Park HS)

13 Aireal Boyd CB 6-1 184 Sr. LaPorte, Texas (NDSCS) (LaPorte HS)
32 Jordan Champion CB 5-9 182 RFr. Avondale, Ariz. (Westview HS)
7 Zach Colvin CB 5-10 166 So. Superior, Wis. (Superior HS)
8 Andre' Martin, Jr. CB 5-10 191 Sr. St. Louis, Mo. (UNI) (McCluer HS)
2 Brendin Pierre CB 5-9 170 Jr. Miramar, Fla. (Miramar HS)
24 Bryan Shepherd CB 5-10 179 Jr. Olathe, Kan. (Nebraska-Omaha) (North HS)
6 CJ Smith CB 5-11 181 RFr. Savage, Minn. (Burnsville HS)
1 Marcus Williams CB 5-11 194 Jr. Minneapolis, Minn. (Hopkins HS)

BadlandsBison
02-08-2013, 05:43 PM
Roster of safeties and CB's as of this year. Personally I'm hoping to see Champion back there laying the wood.

Brantley and Ollman are both gonzo. Shepherd played some safety...

BisonNation11
02-08-2013, 05:45 PM
Yeah, I didn't bother to delete people that won't be there next year. I figured it was easily distinguishable. Getting slim back there. I wonder who will/should be moved back to safety for depth.

bruinbison
02-08-2013, 05:58 PM

24 Bryan Shepherd S/CB 5-10 179 Jr. Olathe, Kan. (Nebraska-Omaha) (North HS)

Unless something happened I missed, there is also one of last years' recruits being redshirted
who sounded very promising (from today's roster) -

14 Bo Liekhus FS 6-0 196 Fr. Plattsmouth, Neb. (Bellevue West HS)

Kermit
02-08-2013, 06:01 PM

AJ Van Voorhis and Joey Blackmore are upperclassmen (Blackmore has been injured much of the past two seasons).

Bo Liekhus and Andy Smith red-shirted this season, as did Grant Maris (PWO).

Chris Board will get a look at strong safety in summer camp.

CJ Smith played a bit of safety this season, but he will likely be at corner again this spring.

BisonNation11
02-08-2013, 06:01 PM
Unless something happened I missed, there is also one of last years' recruits being redshirted
who sounded very promising (from today's roster) -

Nice catch. I didn't get the FS on the list...

28 Andrew Smith FS 6-0 192 Fr. Sioux Falls, S.D. (Roosevelt HS)

thundarsdaddy
02-08-2013, 06:05 PM

Not wanting to change the topic, but looking at this list of 14 DB's, they come from 8 different states? Pretty safe to say that the Bison recruit really-really well!

bruinbison
02-08-2013, 06:34 PM
AJ Van Voorhis and Joey Blackmore are upperclassmen (Blackmore has been injured much of the past two seasons).

Bo Liekhus and Andy Smith red-shirted this season, as did Grant Maris (PWO).

Chris Board will get a look at strong safety in summer camp.

CJ Smith played a bit of safety this season, but he will likely be at corner again this spring.

Glad to see this mention of Chris Board getting a look at strong safety. The Bison are looking stacked at linebacker and a big hitter at safety comes in handy (see Colton Heagle - GeorgiaSouthernU). Don't know if any of the other safeties are considered to be that physical. Reading Terry Vandrovec's stuff on UMKC reminded me of a couple of SDSU's recruits.
They sound more like basketball players and some of the Jack's fans are already dreaming on the jump balls they'll get. Stacy Keely is a state high-jump champ, with a personal best at 6' 10".

"The Keely brothers, 6-8 twins from Omaha, project to be in the line of Cam Jones, but with even more athleticism. Moore envisions being able to use them as pass catchers first and bring along their physical roles as the bulk up. Both weighed in at 202 during their visit. Jones was 207 at his visit, but reported to camp at 242."

85 Jones, Cam TE 6-5 245 RFr. Eagan, Minn. (Burnsville H.S.)
(he only had 3 receptions for 50 yds as a frosh, so perhaps he can be the blocking TE and these guys receiving TE's,
especially in the red zone)
http://terryvandrovec.tumblr.com/

NorthernBison
02-08-2013, 06:56 PM
Not wanting to change the topic, but looking at this list of 14 DB's, they come from 8 different states? Pretty safe to say that the Bison recruit really-really well!

No problem. I think we beat the original into the ground.

Kermit
02-08-2013, 09:35 PM
Not surprisingly, there is a huge amount of confusion on this thread about Heagle's status. The correct answers require knowledge of the appropriate NCAA rules as found in the 2012-13 NCAA Division I Manual (http://www.ncaapublications.com/p-4284-2012-2013-ncaa-division-i-manual-available-for-order-now-for-delivery-after-aug-1.aspx). The most relevant section is Article 14.2 Seasons of Competition: Five-Year Rule. The rules are long and complicated, but here is my summary of the most pertinent info:

1. An athlete has 5 years to complete 4 years of competition. If you play in a game for one instant, it counts as a season of competition. Thus an athlete can't "redshirt" (not an official NCAA term) if they played AT ALL during the season. Heagle can NOT take a redshirt for the 2012 season because he appeared in 2 games for the Bison.

2. An athlete who suffers a season-ending illness or injury, can apply for a hardship waiver (often referred to as a "medical redshirt") to be granted an additional year of competition under certain circumstances. The injury must occur in the first half of the season; the athlete must have appeared in less than 30% of the scheduled games (in a football season with 11 scheduled games, the athlete can't have played in more than 3), and the injury must be season-ending as certified by appropriate medical personnel. Heagle meets all of the criteria for a hardship waiver.

3. Application for a hardship waiver is made to the school's conference and the conference makes the determination. I don't know if an application has been made on Heagle's behalf to the MVFC. It should be a no brainer based on his particular circumstances. Heagle's situation is relatively simple because he never took a redshirt season, and he will still be able to complete 4 years of competition within 5 years. We can safely assume that Heagle will be given a fifth year of competition (if he wants it).

4. The situation is more complicated if an athlete has previously redshirted and is therefore requesting a sixth year in which to complete four years of competition. Waivers to the 5-year rule are occasionally granted by the NCAA, but I am not up-to-date on how that works.

NDSU
02-08-2013, 10:15 PM

Lets hope not! The kid is a beast back there! :)

NDSU
02-08-2013, 10:28 PM
Not surprisingly, there is a huge amount of confusion on this thread about Heagle's status. The correct answers require knowledge of the appropriate NCAA rules as found in the 2012-13 NCAA Division I Manual (http://www.ncaapublications.com/p-4284-2012-2013-ncaa-division-i-manual-available-for-order-now-for-delivery-after-aug-1.aspx). The most relevant section is Article 14.2 Seasons of Competition: Five-Year Rule. The rules are long and complicated, but here is my summary of the most pertinent info:

1. An athlete has 5 years to complete 4 years of competition. If you play in a game for one instant, it counts as a season of competition. Thus an athlete can't "redshirt" (not an official NCAA term) if they played AT ALL during the season. Heagle can NOT take a redshirt for the 2012 season because he appeared in 2 games for the Bison.

2. An athlete who suffers a season-ending illness or injury, can apply for a hardship waiver (often referred to as a "medical redshirt") to be granted an additional year of competition under certain circumstances. The injury must occur in the first half of the season; the athlete must have appeared in less than 30% of the scheduled games (in a football season with 11 scheduled games, the athlete can't have played in more than 3), and the injury must be season-ending as certified by appropriate medical personnel. Heagle meets all of the criteria for a hardship waiver.

3. Application for a hardship waiver is made to the school's conference and the conference makes the determination. I don't know if an application has been made on Heagle's behalf to the MVFC. It should be a no brainer based on his particular circumstances. Heagle's situation is relatively simple because he never took a redshirt season, and he will still be able to complete 4 years of competition within 5 years. We can safely assume that Heagle will be given a fifth year of competition (if he wants it).

4. The situation is more complicated if an athlete has previously redshirted and is therefore requesting a sixth year in which to complete four years of competition. Waivers to the 5-year rule are occasionally granted by the NCAA, but I am not up-to-date on how that works.

Thanks Kermit! It sounds as if what your saying makes sense and is 100% correct.

56BISON73
02-08-2013, 11:20 PM

Well done. You brought clarity to a confusing scenario. Thanks!!!

NorthernBison
02-09-2013, 12:51 AM
Well done. I give it a 10.

1998braves64
02-09-2013, 02:48 AM

I think what people are confusing the situation; is if he asks for it, it will basically be a formality to allow him to play for 2 more years because he never redshirted, so people are taking that because he didn't redshirt he can take a redshirt season, but really the conference/NCAA will basically say yes to a medical hardship because he will still be in the 4 years in 5 criteria.

HerdBot
02-11-2013, 12:56 AM
Glad to see this mention of Chris Board getting a look at strong safety. The Bison are looking stacked at linebacker and a big hitter at safety comes in handy (see Colton Heagle - GeorgiaSouthernU). Don't know if any of the other safeties are considered to be that physical. Reading Terry Vandrovec's stuff on UMKC reminded me of a couple of SDSU's recruits.
They sound more like basketball players and some of the Jack's fans are already dreaming on the jump balls they'll get. Stacy Keely is a state high-jump champ, with a personal best at 6' 10".

"The Keely brothers, 6-8 twins from Omaha, project to be in the line of Cam Jones, but with even more athleticism. Moore envisions being able to use them as pass catchers first and bring along their physical roles as the bulk up. Both weighed in at 202 during their visit. Jones was 207 at his visit, but reported to camp at 242."

85 Jones, Cam TE 6-5 245 RFr. Eagan, Minn. (Burnsville H.S.)
(he only had 3 receptions for 50 yds as a frosh, so perhaps he can be the blocking TE and these guys receiving TE's,
especially in the red zone)
http://terryvandrovec.tumblr.com/

I read this and I am confused. You start with talking about board from linebacker to safety to Terry V to sdsu basketball prospects to tight ends. I think you missed a paragraph. Reminds me of the book if you give a pig a pancake!

SDbison
02-11-2013, 09:36 PM
I read this and I am confused. You start with talking about board from linebacker to safety to Terry V to sdsu basketball prospects to tight ends. I think you missed a paragraph. Reminds me of the book if you give a pig a pancake!
Also, who cares about Jackwabbit recruits here........this is the Bison football thread. Some of you bunny lovers need to spend some time down here in SD to experience the typical jackbunny fan. Then you might not be so nice to them on this board. They come on here ripping on me because I don't praise their little successes, especially since i am a Bison fan living in sorta kinda bunnyland (that is if anyone not in Brookings cares about SDSU). Just because I work in SD doesn't mean I have to like SDSU. Pretty sure Duke fans, Gopher fans, etc, that live here couldn't care less about SDSU.