PDA

View Full Version : Scottie Hazelton to Nevada

bruinbison
01-18-2013, 04:14 PM
per Dom's tweet about CBSSports Bruce Feldman:

Bruce Feldman‏@BFeldmanCBS
USC LB coach Scottie Hazelton will become the new defensive coordinator at Nevada, a source just told CBS.

Bruce Feldman‏@BFeldmanCBS

Good hire for Brian Polian at Nevada. Scottie Hazelton has DC experience & led No. Dakota St to 2011 NCAA FCS natl title.

https://twitter.com/BFeldmanCBS

Monte Kiffen had left USC (was USC DC) for the Dallas Cowboys so the staff was also in flux

Clancy Pendergast (Cal) will be USC's new defensive coordinator, a source confirmed to CBS Thursday. He replaces Monte Kiffin. An announcement by the school will be made Friday.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/bruce-feldman/21570164/pendergast-new-usc-dc

new coach at Nevada - Brian Polian - from Texas A&M

http://www.nevadawolfpack.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/010713aad.html

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
01-18-2013, 04:31 PM
Well, now he is coaching at a level below NDSU. Looks like he could have stayed put.

MNLonghorn10
01-18-2013, 06:01 PM
Now he can get out of the shadows of that piece of fuck drippings Kiffin. Like it.

IBleedYellow
01-18-2013, 07:11 PM
Well, now he is coaching at a level below NDSU. Looks like he could have stayed put.

Is it bad that I thought the same thing when I read this?

devin45k
01-18-2013, 09:54 PM
Is it bad that I thought the same thing when I read this?

I lived in Reno from 2010-2012. Believe me, he was better at both USC or NDSU.

westnodak93bison
01-19-2013, 02:33 AM
Lane is a punk. I'm surprised Scottie didn't see that. Maybe he was star struck by Monte?

How many times do you think Scottie thought to himself "If only these kids were as coachable and hard nosed as the NDSU kids?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

AjaxTheMighty
01-19-2013, 02:45 AM

I was specifically getting on here to say the same thing also. Step down, I wonder what Nevada pays though compared to DC at NDSU...

heckler
01-19-2013, 03:02 AM
I'll take the MWC any day.

NDSU1980
01-19-2013, 03:03 AM
Well, now he is coaching at a level below NDSU. Looks like he could have stayed put.Maybe this will be an eye opener for the rest of the coaches. The grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence. Stay with the green and yellow here.

EndZoneQB
01-19-2013, 03:15 AM
I'll take the MWC any day.

Yeah...I'm not sure I follow how all of them think this is a step down? Nevada has been a pretty good program and they play in a decent, but not awesome conference. Sagarin is cool and all, but let''s try to be realistic gentlemen.

I enjoy drinking the green kool-aid as much as the next guy, but c'mon. If it were a MAC program, sure, I can understand...but Nevada isn't a terrible place to take his next step in the ladder.

North Side
01-19-2013, 03:16 AM
I wonder how much the salaries vary from NDSU D Cor. to USC LB Coach to Nev. D Cor.

perthbison
01-19-2013, 03:40 AM
I wonder how much the salaries vary from NDSU D Cor. to USC LB Coach to Nev. D Cor.I wonder the same thing.

BisonTeacher
01-19-2013, 03:53 AM
Yeah...I'm not sure I follow how all of them think this is a step down? Nevada has been a pretty good program and they play in a decent, but not awesome conference. Sagarin is cool and all, but let''s try to be realistic gentlemen.

I enjoy drinking the green kool-aid as much as the next guy, but c'mon. If it were a MAC program, sure, I can understand...but Nevada isn't a terrible place to take his next step in the ladder.

Nevada is almost less relevant than Minnesota. If he turns it around...great move. If not.. step down.

NDSUstudent
01-19-2013, 04:00 AM
Nevada has been to a bowl game in 8 straight seasons, not a bad job at all for Scottie. That said their head coach of 28 years just retired.

BisonTeacher
01-19-2013, 04:05 AM
Nevada has been to a bowl game in 8 straight seasons, not a bad job at all for Scottie. That said their head coach of 28 years just retired.

No offense, but using irrelavent bowl games as a measuring stick means nothing.

NDSUstudent
01-19-2013, 04:12 AM

Well when you are a WAC/MWC school not named Boise State that is how you measure success. I think they did go 13-1 a few years ago but they were in the WAC which had terrible bowl tie ins.

BisonNation11
01-19-2013, 04:20 AM
Well when you are a WAC/MWC school not named Boise State that is how you measure success. I think they did go 13-1 a few years ago but they were in the WAC which had terrible bowl tie ins.

Kaepernick came from there. I'm betting that would be the time period you speak of.

IndyBison
01-19-2013, 04:25 AM
Although some schools in the FCS can beat some schools in the MAC, MWC, etc., they are still generally viewed as a step-up. You'll see the Big Ten hiring coaches from the MAC but rarely from the MVFC. It's not impossible to make that jump but it's rare. If he has an interest in being a DC at a BCS school, having Nevada on his resume will be better than having NDSU on his resume. We don't have to like it.

heckler
01-19-2013, 05:12 AM

How do you measure success in a program then?

99Bison
01-19-2013, 01:41 PM
Although some schools in the FCS can beat some schools in the MAC, MWC, etc., they are still generally viewed as a step-up. You'll see the Big Ten hiring coaches from the MAC but rarely from the MVFC. It's not impossible to make that jump but it's rare. If he has an interest in being a DC at a BCS school, having Nevada on his resume will be better than having NDSU on his resume. We don't have to like it.

This. Also IMO nfl assistant is next for him on the agenda (see Bradley, Wash will be pulling him in the next couple years). Once he decided to leave ndsu he has to play the "move up" game. Which fbs coordinator appears to be on a resume.

BisonTeacher
01-19-2013, 02:20 PM
How do you measure success in a program then?

Thats a tough question in fbs. Conference titles...bcs bowl games...i dont know.

unbison
01-19-2013, 02:37 PM
Thats a tough question in fbs. Conference titles...bcs bowl games...i dont know.
By bowl games flat out a coordinator in mwc is a better gig then the same spot at ndsu just deal with it people

westnodak93bison
01-19-2013, 04:00 PM
Maybe this will be an eye opener for the rest of the coaches. The grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence. Stay with the green and yellow here.

If you want to advance I think you must coach under more than one respected coach. Look at Gus, NDSU to Tampa to Seattle. He has coached under three respected coaches at different levels.

NorthernBison
01-19-2013, 04:08 PM
By bowl games flat out a coordinator in mwc is a better gig then the same spot at ndsu just deal with it people

Can't argue with that. More money. Better chance to advance your career.

EndZoneQB
01-19-2013, 09:15 PM
You guys that think Nevada is a lateral move are flat out drinking WAY too much of the kool-aid.

MNLonghorn10
01-19-2013, 09:23 PM
I was specifically getting on here to say the same thing also. Step down, I wonder what Nevada pays though compared to DC at NDSU...

Well im sure D-coords make around 100 for NDSU. Manny Diaz at texas makes 625 base. Im sure MWC coordinators are around the 250-400k range.

Such a step down!

MontBison
01-19-2013, 10:40 PM
Well im sure D-coords make around 100 for NDSU. Manny Diaz at texas makes 625 base. Im sure MWC coordinators are around the 250-400k range.

Such a step down!

The d-coordinater at Washington is the highest paid in college at like 1.2 mill a year. Irrelevant to the subject

westnodak93bison
01-20-2013, 01:04 AM

Such a step down!

Money isnt everything young man.

MNLonghorn10
01-20-2013, 01:28 AM
Money isnt everything young man.

Ok so Reno is a lateral movement from Fargo? Do explain why.

reformedUNDfan
01-20-2013, 01:48 AM
Kaepernick came from there. I'm betting that would be the time period you speak of.

kaepernick carried nevada to within one debacle of a hawaii trip of a BCS game. Nevada is pretty prominent as far as mid majors go.

i'd say its tied for the second best job in the MWC with hawaii and fresno st.

reformedUNDfan
01-20-2013, 01:50 AM

Such a step down!

nevada probably pays around 200k, if i had to guess. Most of the MWC head coaches are under a million; i think brady hoke *got a raise* to 700k before leaving for michigan.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
01-20-2013, 02:59 AM

People, I said this with tongue in cheek. I know he is making more money now than at SU, and I know full well if he wants to eventually move up to a coorindator, or possibly head coaching position at a BCS school, this is the next logical stepping stone. I was alluding to the fact that NDSU could mop the floor with Nevada. I don't think there is much doubt about that.

NorthernBison
01-20-2013, 02:35 PM
People, I said this with tongue in cheek. I know he is making more money now than at SU, and I know full well if he wants to eventually move up to a coorindator, or possibly head coaching position at a BCS school, this is the next logical stepping stone. I was alluding to the fact that NDSU could mop the floor with Nevada. I don't think there is much doubt about that.

That would have been clear with the purple "sarcasm" font. Would also have accepted the Facetious font depending on your intended goal.:biggrin:

MNLonghorn10
01-20-2013, 04:44 PM
bwhaha ok..

heckler
01-20-2013, 08:03 PM
bwhaha ok..

Exactly what I was thinking.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
01-20-2013, 11:03 PM
bwhaha ok..

You honestly don't think we could beat Nevada? The Nevada Wolfpack. They are a very mediocre team in a very mediocre conference.

At the end of the season we would have been a 14 pt. favorite on a neutral field. Doesn't appear to be much of a debate.

westnodak93bison
01-20-2013, 11:21 PM
Sagarin says Bison by nearly 2 touchdowns on a neutral field. You baah is off base.

BisonTeacher
01-21-2013, 12:28 AM
Sagarin says Bison by nearly 2 touchdowns on a neutral field. You baah is off base.

Didnt the goofers play them in recent years?

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
01-21-2013, 01:14 AM
Didnt the goofers play them in recent years?

UNLV this last season.

BisonTeacher
01-21-2013, 01:17 AM
UNLV this last season.

I thought they played nevada within the last few years. But i could be wrong. My memory has sucked since my eye surgery in addition to blacking out all the gophers losses.

ndsubison1
01-21-2013, 02:31 AM
this thread is embarassing

heckler
01-21-2013, 02:40 AM
I thought they played nevada within the last few years. But i could be wrong. My memory has sucked since my eye surgery in addition to blacking out all the gophers losses.

Thats's a lot of blacking out.

AjaxTheMighty
01-21-2013, 02:53 AM
You honestly don't think we could beat Nevada? The Nevada Wolfpack. They are a very mediocre team in a very mediocre conference.

At the end of the season we would have been a 14 pt. favorite on a neutral field. Doesn't appear to be much of a debate.

Because longhorn guy is full on FBS fan and he thinks that the letters FBS gives teams an automatic win over FCS. NDSU would flat out kill this team. The conference is a bottom feeder of the bowl subdivision. We win by double digits even if we play mediocre. They have a chance if we have 2-3 turnovers. If we play error free a bison football it would be a blow out of epic proportions. NDSU would beat 90% of FBS teams. Kool-aid!

MNLonghorn10
01-21-2013, 02:58 AM
lmao. MWC is a bottom feeder?

MNLonghorn10
01-21-2013, 02:59 AM
this thread is embarassing
Its amazing what a little success can do to brainwash guys's heads.

SAGARIN SAYS WE'RE 2 TD FAVORITES!! derp... WE'RE BETTER THAN 90% OF ALL FBS SCHOOLS derp.

EndZoneQB
01-21-2013, 02:59 AM
Because longhorn guy is full on FBS fan and he thinks that the letters FBS gives teams an automatic win over FCS. NDSU would flat out kill this team. The conference is a bottom feeder of the bowl subdivision. We win by double digits even if we play mediocre. They have a chance if we have 2-3 turnovers. If we play error free a bison football it would be a blow out of epic proportions. NDSU would beat 90% of FBS teams. Kool-aid!

http://nicedeb.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/lib-head-explode.jpg

MNLonghorn10
01-21-2013, 03:05 AM
I like the fact that I am a "full on FBS" fan...what the f*ck does that mean???

Yea, considering I had a feeling NDSU would win their last 3 FBS games...

NDSUstudent
01-21-2013, 03:07 AM
Sorry to burst some people's bubbles but an NDSU game vs Nevada would look a lot like our game vs GSU.

EndZoneQB
01-21-2013, 03:08 AM

Full on FBS fan that rode/drove in a school bus to Texas/USD and back, drove to CSU and back, and attended every home game 4+ hours before tailgating opens, so yep, definitely not an FCS fan...especially not an NDSU fan.

MNLonghorn10
01-21-2013, 03:10 AM
Full on FBS fan that rode/drove in a school bus to Texas/USD and back, drove to CSU and back, and attended every home game 4+ hours before tailgating opens, so yep, definitely not an FCS fan...especially not an NDSU fan.

haha buttsagarin!

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
01-21-2013, 01:04 PM
Sorry to burst some people's bubbles but an NDSU game vs Nevada would look a lot like our game vs GSU.

Honestly, I don't think it would be that close. Just to make sure everyone is on the same page here. We are talking about the Nevada Wolfpack, right? The same Nevada team that lost to San Diego State, a San Diego State team that gave up 489 yards of offense to UN_ and beat them by a meer 8 points. The same Nevada team that finished one game ahead of CSU in conference play. I guess I don't know why you guys think Nevada is some kind of world beater. Not drinking Kool-Aid, I just don't think Nevada is that great

If Nevada could play us that close, then we will have no business even showing up in Manhattan this August. IMO K State is light years ahead of Nevada. And I honestly think we have a legit shot at beating K State. JMO.

AjaxTheMighty
01-21-2013, 01:16 PM

Settle down now. I'm not saying you are not a Bison fan, but every time someone brings up playing FBS you scoff, like you did above in this thread. The only team worth the breath to talk about football is Boise St. 90% beeeeeeyoooottch!

heckler
01-21-2013, 01:26 PM
Honestly, I don't think it would be that close. Just to make sure everyone is on the same page here. We are talking about the Nevada Wolfpack, right? The same Nevada team that lost to San Diego State, a San Diego State team that gave up 489 yards of offense to UN_ and beat them by a meer 8 points. The same Nevada team that finished one game ahead of CSU in conference play. I guess I don't know why you guys think Nevada is some kind of world beater. Not drinking Kool-Aid, I just don't think Nevada is that great

If Nevada could play us that close, then we will have no business even showing up in Manhattan this August. IMO K State is light years ahead of Nevada. And I honestly think we have a legit shot at beating K State. JMO.

The same wolf pack team who beat Cal, who crushed UCLA, who lost to Stanford in the Pac12 Championship game by 4 points. What's your point?

MNLonghorn10
01-21-2013, 01:28 PM
Settle down now. I'm not saying you are not a Bison fan, but every time someone brings up playing FBS you scoff, like you did above in this thread. The only team worth the breath to talk about football is Boise St. 90% beeeeeeyoooottch!
Scoff? Link me to the last time I did this please.

And Beeyotch? Im going to report that.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
01-21-2013, 01:46 PM
The same wolf pack team who beat Cal, who crushed UCLA, who lost to Stanford in the Pac12 Championship game by 4 points. What's your point?

My point is what I have been saying all along. I think we would beat Nevada by at least two touchdowns.

TransAmBison
01-21-2013, 01:48 PM
I've pondered this before, but now Ajaxtheargumentativebutthole brings it up. He states the Bison would beat 90% of FBS teams. How many teams are there? Would it be safe to assume the Bison could/should beat any unranked team? Could/should the Bison beat any ranked team? Would a team ranked #20-#25 be a reasonably winnable game? How about #15-#20? Thoughts?

heckler
01-21-2013, 01:50 PM
My point is what I have been saying all along. I think we would beat Nevada by at least two touchdowns.

Lol ok.....

MNLonghorn10
01-21-2013, 01:55 PM
I've pondered this before, but now Ajaxtheargumentativebutthole brings it up. He states the Bison would beat 90% of FBS teams. How many teams are there? Would it be safe to assume the Bison could/should beat any unranked team? Could/should the Bison beat any ranked team? Would a team ranked #20-#25 be a reasonably winnable game? How about #15-#20? Thoughts?

This is all on hypothetical scnearios,1 guys computer formula thought and personal gut feelings...i think NDSU could beat plenty of the FBS this last year and upcoming year. If NDSU was given home games vs some lower ranked teams, I think they could beat some of them any given saturday. When we're talking like Ajax is, week in, week out pummel every FBS team out there by 2 TD's similar to what Alabama, LSU and company do...then we're getting ahead of ourselves and they need to tap the brakes.

TransAmBison
01-21-2013, 01:58 PM
This is all on hypothetical scnearios,1 guys computer formula thought and personal gut feelings...i think NDSU could beat plenty of the FBS this last year and upcoming year. If NDSU was given home games vs some lower ranked teams, I think they could beat some of them any given saturday. When we're talking like Ajax is, week in, week out pummel every FBS team out there by 2 TD's similar to what Alabama, LSU and company do...then we're getting ahead of ourselves and they need to tap the brakes.Agreed. We'd only beat Alabama/LSU by 5 or so.

MNLonghorn10
01-21-2013, 01:59 PM
Agreed. We'd only beat Alabama/LSU by 5 or so.

depends what garret bruhn shows up that day.

AjaxTheMighty
01-21-2013, 02:04 PM

bwhaha ok..

Scoff #1.
Report me? You mean for something offensive, like dropping the F-bomb every other post? Something like that?

MNLonghorn10
01-21-2013, 02:07 PM
Scoff #1.
Report me? You mean for something offensive, like dropping the F-bomb every other post? Something like that?
Ive been put on warning before for using f-bombs...

back in 2009.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
01-21-2013, 02:10 PM
Lol ok.....

Heckler, I'm not being a smart ass here.

Honest question, you don't think we could beat Nevada?

MNLonghorn10
01-21-2013, 02:12 PM

NDSU could.

NDSU could beat a lot of the FBS teams this year.

saying this move by Hazelton is a step down from coaching the same job @ NDSU is absolutely absurd.

heckler
01-21-2013, 02:20 PM
NDSU could.

saying this move by Hazelton is a step down from coaching the same job @ NDSU is absolutely absurd.

This x10.....

AjaxTheMighty
01-21-2013, 02:27 PM
Okay, I'm probably off when I say 90%. And Transamthelittlegirl would probably agree with me. It's probably more like 93 or 94%. :biggrin:

heckler
01-21-2013, 02:30 PM

We could. They could also beat us. But your argument is based purely on hypothetical speculation. It could also be 43 degrees on July 23rd 2013. But as Longhorn said you saying the same coaching job at Nevada is a setup down is ridiculous and borderline 70 on an IQ test.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
01-21-2013, 02:31 PM
NDSU could.

See quote below........

And yes, I think we would beat Nevada.

KSBisonFan
01-21-2013, 02:31 PM
Fire Nevada Wolfpack, save season!!!!

Tatanka
01-21-2013, 02:53 PM
It's the offseason, you say?

EndZoneQB
01-21-2013, 03:00 PM
NDSU could.

Exactly. And obviously as NDSU fans, we would go in there expecting to win...but like CSU this year, I was just hoping for a 1pt win. NDSU can and would win against a ton of FBS teams, but to think just because Sagarin predicts we'd win by 14 pts doesn't mean we would or even would get close to that...if that were the case, wtf happened with ISUb? Weren't we predicted to beat them by like 21??

BadlandsBison
01-21-2013, 03:16 PM
NDSU could.

Was working under your beloved Lame Kiffin a step down from ndsu ;)

I keed. This is a big job and Scotty will have an even bigger job some day.

MNLonghorn10
01-21-2013, 03:18 PM
Was working under your beloved Lame Kiffin a step down from ndsu ;)

I keed. This is a big job and Scotty will have an even bigger job some day.
Kiffin is an asshole. i can't believe parents let their kids be recruited by him.

NDSUstudent
01-21-2013, 09:45 PM

San Diego State has a good team, they played like crap vs UN_ but that doesn't change the fact they were 9-4 and beat Boise State. Nevada has been a solid team for years, I think the Bison would beat them at home but on the road it would be a toss up.

kab1one
01-22-2013, 03:08 AM
Isn't Nevada where the 49er quarterback played and throw 80 plus touchdown passes? Its UNLV that the gophers play and kind of beat, Nevada is the the better of the two schools.

BisonNation11
01-22-2013, 03:56 AM
kaepernick carried nevada to within one debacle of a hawaii trip of a BCS game. Nevada is pretty prominent as far as mid majors go.

i'd say its tied for the second best job in the MWC with hawaii and fresno st.

Isn't Nevada where the 49er quarterback played and throw 80 plus touchdown passes? Its UNLV that the gophers play and kind of beat, Nevada is the the better of the two schools.

Just read back a few pages.

EndZoneQB
01-22-2013, 04:21 AM

Hey, welcome to Bisonville!