PDA

View Full Version : BCS Championship

Wally
01-08-2013, 12:42 AM
Alabama just worked over the vaunted nd defense.

Hammersmith
01-08-2013, 12:46 AM
Lots of big ND penalties so far.

NDSUstudent
01-08-2013, 12:48 AM
Horrible penalty call on ND

Sent from my MB886

MinotBison
01-08-2013, 12:55 AM
Another 'Bama TD. I think the rout is officially on.

NorthernBison
01-08-2013, 12:56 AM
Horrible penalty call on ND

Sent from my MB886

Redding says good call and he's the expert.

ND better get their poop in a group or they will get run out of the stadium.

HoopsBison
01-08-2013, 12:57 AM
Good Game Notre Dame...thanks for playing.

Hammersmith
01-08-2013, 01:06 AM
Well, that felt a little inappropriate. Truthful ... but bordering on dirty old man.

NorthernBison
01-08-2013, 01:10 AM
ND defense forgot to get on the bus.

Bison"FANatic"
01-08-2013, 01:11 AM
Geez I was hoping for a good game. Guess that isn't going to happen

BisonTeacher
01-08-2013, 01:11 AM
ND defense forgot to get on the bus.

Nd getting worked.

Hammersmith
01-08-2013, 01:12 AM
ND better make some quick adjustments or this game is going to break some records in a lopsided way.

bri-dog
01-08-2013, 01:12 AM
Notre _ame???

HoopsBison
01-08-2013, 01:14 AM
UND sucks!!

NorthernBison
01-08-2013, 01:22 AM
The simple fact that ND should have lost the Pitt game has had me wondering how they beat Stanford. I'm thinking tonight's game is being played by the team that showed up to play Pitt.

Gully
01-08-2013, 01:24 AM
(NDSU-SHSU) > (A&M-SHSU)
A&M > Alabama
therefore
NDSU > Alabama

aces1180
01-08-2013, 01:24 AM
Well, that felt a little inappropriate. Truthful ... but bordering on dirty old man.

My wife and I both looked at each and were like WTF? Creepy.

IndyBison
01-08-2013, 01:33 AM
Redding says good call and he's the expert.

ND better get their poop in a group or they will get run out of the stadium.

Here was my Facebook update:

"For those of you questioning the kick catch interference call, the guy in the booth should be trusted. Rogers Redding wrote the NCAA rule book. It's like Jesus telling you what happened in the Gospel."

The new rule this year is the receiver has to be given a full yard in front of his shoulders to complete the catch. Th fair catch signal is not a factor. That only protects him after he completes the catch. When in doubt it's a foul, especially if the official determines the proximity of the player results in the kick being muffed. Tough break for ND but it was the correct call.

IndyBison
01-08-2013, 01:33 AM
My wife and I both looked at each and were like WTF? Creepy.
I thought the same thing. It's one thing to mention she's attractive but he got creepy.

HoopsBison
01-08-2013, 01:40 AM
Wow that punt returner is killing them, you have to let that go.

Hammersmith
01-08-2013, 01:41 AM
ND still hasn't stopped an Alabama drive. Alabama stopped that last one themselves.

NorthernBison
01-08-2013, 02:00 AM
Brent Mussberger, " If this was a prize fight, they would stop it."

Honeybooboo
01-08-2013, 02:00 AM
So computers didn't work again?

NorthernBison
01-08-2013, 02:09 AM

Depends on the second half.

b15on
01-08-2013, 02:14 AM
Anyone see McCarron's girlfriend?

NDSUstudent
01-08-2013, 02:15 AM

ND was a consensus #1 last time I checked....

IndyBison
01-08-2013, 02:16 AM
Computers didn't make Notre Dame #1. They were already there by virtue of their undefeated record and the pollsters. The only thing the computers so is help resolve disagreements in the polls. Those of you old enough to remember pre-BCS days there were several years where the polls did not agree. The other thing the BCS did was create a game between the top 2 schools because most years the top 2 teams at the end of the year didn't play each other in a bowl. If #2 beat their opponent by more than #1 beat their opponent many would argue they should be #1. The BCS took care of all of that. For all it's faults it is much better than that system.

Bison03
01-08-2013, 03:02 AM
Anyone see McCarron's girlfriend?

Anyone see McCarron's mom?

Bison03
01-08-2013, 03:09 AM
Saben got a $110,000 bonus for making it to the bcs championship and will make another $200,000 when he wins it. And I thought Bohl had some good incentives....

jimmyptubas
01-08-2013, 03:25 AM
What was said that people are deeming inappropriate or dirty old manish?

bri-dog
01-08-2013, 03:28 AM
What was said that perigee are deeming inappropriate or dirty old manish?

I think they're talking about when they showed McCarron's girlfriend and Mushburger told Herbstreit something like "Man, you quarterbacks get all the good-lookin women".

NDSUstudent
01-08-2013, 03:29 AM
Just think if Ohio State was eligible...Bama isn't even playing in this game....

matt
01-08-2013, 03:32 AM
I think they're talking about when they showed McCarron's girlfriend and Mushburger told Herbstreit something like "Man, you quarterbacks get all the good-lookin women".

Fire musburger, save sanity.

http://deadspin.com/5974000/brent-musburger-is-a-bit-too-infatuated-with-aj-mccarrons-girlfriend-katherine-webb?post=55921407

56BISON73
01-08-2013, 03:35 AM
What was said that perigee are deeming inappropriate or dirty old manish?

Just an observation IMO. I mean she is pretty damn good looking.

matt
01-08-2013, 03:39 AM
Just an observation IMO. I mean she is pretty damn good looking.

Can't argue with that wisdom.

Hammersmith
01-08-2013, 03:49 AM
It wasn't so much the initial comment as how it dragged on. It was like this horrible cycle. The director in the truck puts the girlfriend and mom on screen so Mus & Herb point them out and make a few nice comments. But then the director doesn't switch to another camera and just leaves them on screen. So Mus tries to fill up the airtime. So the director keeps them on screen. So Mus keeps talking. Pretty soon you(the viewer) realizes that this 73 year old guy has just spent over 30 second waxing about how hot this twenty-something is. Definitely strayed into creepy territory.

BTW, a Google search on Mus's name right now brings up the following Google News headline:

Brent Musburger, 73, livens up the first half of BCS title game with comments on AJ McCarron's girlfriend (VIDEO) (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=brent%20musburger&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&sqi=2&ved=0CDQQqQIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fsports.yahoo.com%2Fblogs%2Fncaaf-dr-saturday%2Fbrent-musburger-73-livens-first-half-bcs-title-023701469--ncaaf.html&ei=W6TrULLWAcql2AWK6IGoAQ&usg=AFQjCNG2t_kjxPYfYgmAerp0H_cyl2p1yA&bvm=bv.1357316858,d.b2U)

Other headlines include comments about dirty old men and him being "infatuated" with AJ's girlfriend. It wasn't just BV thinking these things.

Hammersmith
01-08-2013, 04:04 AM
Even SportsCenter led with an oblique joke on the subject.

JSUBison
01-08-2013, 04:07 AM
It was a definite "Settle down, Beavis" moment. Brent probably had one of the ESPN camera's on them the whole game and is now going to take the tape and....aww never mind.

344Johnson
01-08-2013, 04:21 AM
Absolutely devastated with the outcome of the game. I thought Alabama would win. I figured it'd be by a 24-16 type score. Wow was I wrong. Notre Dame's strength(front 7) was completely rendered null and void by Alabama's line. Kudos to them. My hope was Notre Dame would shut down Alabama's run game, which would lead to putting the game in McCarron's hands.....against what I was hoping would be an exceptional pass rush(I was hoping it'd be obvious passing downs which would allow Notre Dame to pin their ears back).

Notre Dame's secondary has been gashed by injuries throughout the season(and preseason I believe), I knew they'd have trouble. I was really counting on those front 7 to give them a good situation. Bama's QB is better than I thought he was. Turns out, he can make a throw, he just normally doesn't have to.

Alabama is going to continue being a force for a few years. Then, as all powers do, they will go away. You cannot be good forever.

Notre Dame, is making their return. I don't care how bad my guys got crushed tonight. They are coming back. Recruiting is finally being centered on defensive line, offensive line, and playmakers. The Notre Dame I seemed to grow up with was based around some running backs who didn't have lines to make holes, quarterbacks who didn't have running games to help, and wide receivers without running games to make their life easier.

Anyone who hates on the Irish, have fun with it. Go ahead and say some other schools deserved the BCS bid more. Truth is, this just wasn't a good matchup for Notre Dame in any way, shape, or form no matter how much me or any other Irish fan pretended it would be.

My guys are coming back. Kelly is the right coach for this team.

Facts
01-08-2013, 04:31 AM
Absolutely devastated with the outcome of the game. I thought Alabama would win. I figured it'd be by a 24-16 type score. Wow was I wrong. Notre Dame's strength(front 7) was completely rendered null and void by Alabama's line. Kudos to them. My hope was Notre Dame would shut down Alabama's run game, which would lead to putting the game in McCarron's hands.....against what I was hoping would be an exceptional pass rush(I was hoping it'd be obvious passing downs which would allow Notre Dame to pin their ears back).

Notre Dame's secondary has been gashed by injuries throughout the season(and preseason I believe), I knew they'd have trouble. I was really counting on those front 7 to give them a good situation. Bama's QB is better than I thought he was. Turns out, he can make a throw, he just normally doesn't have to.

Alabama is going to continue being a force for a few years. Then, as all powers do, they will go away. You cannot be good forever.

Notre Dame, is making their return. I don't care how bad my guys got crushed tonight. They are coming back. Recruiting is finally being centered on defensive line, offensive line, and playmakers. The Notre Dame I seemed to grow up with was based around some running backs who didn't have lines to make holes, quarterbacks who didn't have running games to help, and wide receivers without running games to make their life easier.

Anyone who hates on the Irish, have fun with it. Go ahead and say some other schools deserved the BCS bid more. Truth is, this just wasn't a good matchup for Notre Dame in any way, shape, or form no matter how much me or any other Irish fan pretended it would be.

My guys are coming back. Kelly is the right coach for this team.
They did not even deserve to be in this game imo.
But hey, Go Bison!

344Johnson
01-08-2013, 04:59 AM
They did not even deserve to be in this game imo.
But hey, Go Bison!

Go fuck yourself.

12-0 against a very tough schedule. No one else consistently beat good teams the way Notre Dame did....WITHOUT losing.

Go Bison. Go Irish.

onbison09
01-08-2013, 05:05 AM
Go fuck yourself.

12-0 against a very tough schedule. No one else consistently beat good teams the way Notre Dame did....WITHOUT losing.

Go Bison. Go Irish.

Not to pile on but very tough? Won by 3 to Purdue who got prisoned by OK State. Michigan State was 6-6 (But they were ranked 10th). Only beat Michigan by 6. Miami sucked this year. I still say they lost to Stanford but that's a good game. BYU was average. Oklahoma was down but can't fault them for that. 3 OTs to fricken Pitt? BC and Wake. USC was down (again not Notre Dame's fault)

onbison09
01-08-2013, 05:06 AM
Here was my Facebook update:

"For those of you questioning the kick catch interference call, the guy in the booth should be trusted. Rogers Redding wrote the NCAA rule book. It's like Jesus telling you what happened in the Gospel."

The new rule this year is the receiver has to be given a full yard in front of his shoulders to complete the catch. Th fair catch signal is not a factor. That only protects him after he completes the catch. When in doubt it's a foul, especially if the official determines the proximity of the player results in the kick being muffed. Tough break for ND but it was the correct call.

That's a stupid rule then. He didn't obviously impair the ability to catch it. (For the record, I hate ND)

NDSUstudent
01-08-2013, 05:15 AM
That's a stupid rule then. He didn't obviously impair the ability to catch it. (For the record, I hate ND)

I thought the ND player was kind of blocked towards the return guy as well and he did everything he could to not make contact anyway. That said at least that call had no impact in the result.

onbison09
01-08-2013, 05:17 AM
I thought the ND player was kind of blocked towards the return guy as well and he did everything he could to not make contact anyway. That said at least that call had no impact in the result.

I agree but it might have been closer if they go down and score there. (I'm not saying they would've won)

IndyBison
01-08-2013, 05:19 AM

That's a fair opinion. Have you ever had to field a high punt? I haven't but I've been back there a few times when the ball is coming down to a receiver. It is much harder than you realize. If you are trying to move under it with people in the area that you can't see because you are looking up you'd realize someone in close proximity can have a huge impact on your ability to catch it.

The reason the rule change was added this year was to prevent the returner from getting blown up immediately after catching the ball. He is very defenseless in that situation and they wanted to give him a fighting chance to not only survive the catch but possibly get a return as well. When you have to write rules it can get very difficult to get it right and not have unintended consequences. They went with one yard in front of the shoulders of the return guy but what happens if a guy is at a 45 degree angle from the returner (as in this play) and the returner turns that way? The interpretation evolved into somewhat of a pie shape in front of the returner. As plays are reviewed throughout the season interpretations are clarified to provide guidelines for the guys who have to call it.

There are also "when-in-doubt" situations. When they are safety fouls (which this is), the when-in-doubt is usually to err on the side of foul. As a cover guy you need to break down and shed the block so you don't put yourself in a position for the official to have to make a judgement call. If you can't shed the block then he had a good block.

onbison09
01-08-2013, 05:26 AM
That's a fair opinion. Have you ever had to field a high punt? I haven't but I've been back there a few times when the ball is coming down to a receiver. It is much harder than you realize. If you are trying to move under it with people in the area that you can't see because you are looking up you'd realize someone in close proximity can have a huge impact on your ability to catch it.

The reason the rule change was added this year was to prevent the returner from getting blown up immediately after catching the ball. He is very defenseless in that situation and they wanted to give him a fighting chance to not only survive the catch but possibly get a return as well. When you have to write rules it can get very difficult to get it right and not have unintended consequences. They went with one yard in front of the shoulders of the return guy but what happens if a guy is at a 45 degree angle from the returner (as in this play) and the returner turns that way? The interpretation evolved into somewhat of a pie shape in front of the returner. As plays are reviewed throughout the season interpretations are clarified to provide guidelines for the guys who have to call it.

There are also "when-in-doubt" situations. When they are safety fouls (which this is), the when-in-doubt is usually to err on the side of foul. As a cover guy you need to break down and shed the block so you don't put yourself in a position for the official to have to make a judgement call. If you can't shed the block then he had a good block.

Sorry I wasn't clear. I was talking about the when-in-doubt part. I get the need for the rule. But I don't see the need for the call today. In all seriousness though, thanks for your posts! I'm sure it's very difficult to do what you do. (Even though it's easy from my couch with slow motion replay :D)

NDSUFan_Sav
01-08-2013, 06:11 AM
Go fuck yourself.

Go Bison. Go Irish.

Tough schedule??? USC and Oklahoma weren't as good as predicted.

DjKyRo
01-08-2013, 08:41 AM
As a person with absolutely no rooting interest in this game, thank goodness Notre Dame got clowned here. So sick of seeing my Facebook feed blowup with all these apparent sleeper-ND fans that have purportedly been Irish fans their entire lives but hadn't said a word prior to the team hitting ten wins this year. I don't have anything against Notre Dame, but I can't stand a bandwagon fan who doesn't realize they're on a bandwagon. Due credit to Coach Kelly though, that was an impressive turnaround he engineered in a few short years.

344Johnson
01-08-2013, 01:41 PM
Tough schedule??? USC and Oklahoma weren't as good as predicted.

Yes, a tough schedule. Even a down USC still had tons of talent and Notre Dame shut them down. Oklahoma lost two regular season games. To two teams who were in BCS games. I'd say they were just fine.

1998braves64
01-08-2013, 02:34 PM
As a person with absolutely no rooting interest in this game, thank goodness Notre Dame got clowned here. So sick of seeing my Facebook feed blowup with all these apparent sleeper-ND fans that have purportedly been Irish fans their entire lives but hadn't said a word prior to the team hitting ten wins this year. I don't have anything against Notre Dame, but I can't stand a bandwagon fan who doesn't realize they're on a bandwagon. Due credit to Coach Kelly though, that was an impressive turnaround he engineered in a few short years.

May be because ND has been down for as long as you can remember... even NDSU fans "leave" in the dry years (2008/2009??). I don't know if I'd consider myself a fan but I would have liked to see ND make it competitive, as they seem to have a lot of football tradition in their school. Sort of got interested because a guy I did work with was a huge Irish fan and was through all these down years! Felt bad for him last night as that could not have been pretty to watch.

bisonmike2
01-08-2013, 02:40 PM
Go fuck yourself.

Go Bison. Go Irish.

wow, that escalated quickly. That really got out of hand.

I didn't really care either way so I didn't care who won. I hate the SEC so ND victory would have been nice but no big deal. They just looked over matched. I kept waiting for Teo to make a big play on defense but I don't remember him even making a tackle. It looked like he was out of position or when he was in position he was missing tackles.

344Johnson
01-08-2013, 03:08 PM
wow, that escalated quickly. That really got out of hand.

I didn't really care either way so I didn't care who won. I hate the SEC so ND victory would have been nice but no big deal. They just looked over matched. I kept waiting for Teo to make a big play on defense but I don't remember him even making a tackle. It looked like he was out of position or when he was in position he was missing tackles.

I am an upset Notre Dame fan. Please cut me some slack.

Watching Te'o was not fun last night. Bama consistently put a lid on him, and when they didn't, he did not make a play.

aces1180
01-08-2013, 03:20 PM

Watching Te'o was not fun last night. Bama consistently put a lid on him, and when they didn't, he did not make a play.

So you have two favorite college teams?

Would you rather have had NDSU lose and Notre Dame win?

I look forward to your answer.

1998braves64
01-08-2013, 04:19 PM

I'll answer I'm sure he'd rather both won... what is wrong with both winning?

MNLonghorn10
01-08-2013, 04:49 PM
Oregon would destroy nd.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

MNLonghorn10
01-08-2013, 04:50 PM

Pretty sure a lot of us have a team to root for on the fbs level.

aces1180
01-08-2013, 05:04 PM
Pretty sure a lot of us have a team to root for on the fbs level.

I don't understand that, but to each their own...

aces1180
01-08-2013, 05:06 PM
I'll answer I'm sure he'd rather both won... what is wrong with both winning?

Nothing wrong with having both win...Just wondering who he would give up if he could only have one?

I like the Vikings and the Bison...I would have preferred both to win on Saturday, but if I had to choose one, that result came to fruition.

344Johnson
01-08-2013, 05:23 PM

NDSU no question. I am a student here. Duh. I have never even been to Indiana or watched Notre Dame in person. I think most people have an FBS team they root for. Nothing wrong with that.

Oregon would destroy nd.

I dont think so. Stanford shut Oregon down. Notre Dame(relying on power) just couldn't do that with Alabama. With Oregon? I think they could. I also think Notre Dame would move the ball relatively well against Oregon. It would make for an interesting game and this is why they need playoffs.

MNLonghorn10
01-08-2013, 05:46 PM
I don't understand that, but to each their own...
There a whole new world out there outside of FCS football, but to each their own.

MNLonghorn10
01-08-2013, 05:48 PM
I dont think so. Stanford shut Oregon down. Notre Dame(relying on power) just couldn't do that with Alabama. With Oregon? I think they could. I also think Notre Dame would move the ball relatively well against Oregon. It would make for an interesting game and this is why they need playoffs.
Stanford "shut down" doesnt mean ND would've last night, Oregon would've ran all over the missed tackles of ND

NDSUFan_Sav
01-08-2013, 06:46 PM

Te'o didn't deserve to be up for the Heisman imo....sure USC may have had talent but that team was completely overrated they lost to Georgia Tech in their bowl game and G Tech is AWFUL. Oklahoma got throttled against Texas A&M in their bowl game, but I'll give you some credit they were an ok team....but seriously Pitt, Boston College??? I will give you credit that BYU wasn't to bad this year. But to say they played teams in the bowl games is dumb its not that difficult to make a bowl game.

NDSUFan_Sav
01-08-2013, 06:48 PM
Oregon would destroy nd.

Agree with this 100%....their speed would of made ND look real bad. Oregon would of had a shot with Bama cuz the style Offense they run and Saban has always struggled against that type.

tcbison
01-08-2013, 07:17 PM
I fell asleep when it was 14-0. Looks like I didn't miss much. I'll admit to cheering for Notre Dame but I didn't think they would beat Alabama. The SEC domination continues.

td577
01-08-2013, 07:20 PM
I thought the game was tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bisonmike2
01-08-2013, 07:28 PM
I thought the game was tonight.

Apparently so did Notre Dame.

bisonmike2
01-08-2013, 08:10 PM
Not everything about the game was bad.

http://wordpresshosting.s3.amazonaws.com/woodyandrizzuto/2013/01/ALA1.jpeg

MNLonghorn10
01-08-2013, 08:13 PM

Brent mussburger loved her

mebisonII
01-08-2013, 08:49 PM
A friend proposed that the SEC move to the Football Authoritative Subdivision (FAS) so that the rest of the FBS could have a chance.

EndZoneQB
01-08-2013, 09:17 PM

She needs to spread a little wider if she's coming over tonight...

Wally
01-08-2013, 10:05 PM
http://i733.photobucket.com/albums/ww335/kevol80/hugitoutb.gif

Facts
01-09-2013, 03:44 AM
Go fuck yourself.

Go Bison. Go Irish.

Easy freshman.
It remains my opinion that nd had no place in that game and they played a soft schedule.
The outcome proved it.

tony
01-09-2013, 02:59 PM
I fell asleep when it was 14-0. Looks like I didn't miss much. I'll admit to cheering for Notre Dame but I didn't think they would beat Alabama. The SEC domination continues.

I switched over to watching Varsity Blues (had never seen it before) and the soundtrack music was Thunderstruck. Couldn't force myself to watch it to the end though so I don't know if they won the district championship, although I'd imagine that they did thanks to a hook-and-ladder to the bowling ball offensive lineman (btw, when the hell is Vigen going to get his act together and call that play?)

sambini
01-10-2013, 04:21 AM
That was a game of men Alabama vs boys Notre Dame. It just proves they need some type of playoff.. it was bad.... Rudy must of been dreaming playn BAMA.

IndyBison
01-10-2013, 04:29 AM
That was a game of men Alabama vs boys Notre Dame. It just proves they need some type of playoff.. it was bad.... Rudy must of been dreaming playn BAMA.
The Bison beat SHSU by a similar score and we had a playoff. It's not the perfect answer.

onbison09
01-10-2013, 05:14 AM
The Bison beat SHSU by a similar score and we had a playoff. It's not the perfect answer.

Yeah but at least you can't argue SHSU didn't earn being there. (I know what you're saying)

BisonTeacher
01-10-2013, 11:51 AM

Speaking of...did anyone see the commercial with Sean Astin (Rudy) ? It was a "heismann house" commercial. Was it funny? We had the volume down.

BisonTeacher
01-10-2013, 11:52 AM

true...but very different games, our game was close for most of it. this was a blowout from the get go.

IndyBison
01-10-2013, 12:06 PM
Speaking of...did anyone see the commercial with Sean Astin (Rudy) ? It was a "heismann house" commercial. Was it funny? We had the volume down.

Yes...the joke was Tim Brown thought he was the real Rudy.

BisonNation11
01-10-2013, 12:12 PM

Here you go Teach

http://youtu.be/eKRvrsPKXeA

EndZoneQB
01-10-2013, 01:47 PM

Yeah but at least you can't argue SHSU didn't earn being there. (I know what you're saying)

Or that the best teams didn't have a chance to make it there(NDSU v GSU anyone??).

td577
01-10-2013, 02:28 PM
Obviously the bracket was lopsided, but it doesn't change the fact that 20 fcs teams had a chance to win it all. In fbs only two teams had the chance leaving a few with a legitimate argument looking in from the outside.

BisonTeacher
01-10-2013, 03:07 PM
Obviously the bracket was lopsided, but it doesn't change the fact that 20 fcs teams had a chance to win it all. In fbs only two teams had the chance leaving a few with a legitimate argument looking in from the outside.

Hey...those kids had fun at their bowl games. They got gift bags for cripes sake! They were playing for something!!!!!

Hammerhead
01-10-2013, 03:29 PM
You mean only the winners get gift bags? :)

Hey...those kids had fun at their bowl games. They got gift bags for cripes sake! They were playing for something!!!!!

BisonTeacher
01-10-2013, 03:47 PM
You mean only the winners get gift bags? :)

Hey in the bowl system...everyone's a winner.

344Johnson
01-10-2013, 04:28 PM

Can't argue Notre Dame didn't earn being there either. Oregon? The two best teams on their schedule, Stanford and USC, were also on Notre Dame's schedule. Notre Dame beat them. Oregon went 1-1.

Kansas State? Their marquee win was against Oklahoma. Notre Dame also beat Oklahoma. Kansas State lost a game badly. Notre Dame was undefeated.

Georgia/Bama Rematch? Tough to let a team who gets absolutely mauled by South Carolina...and had two losses play in the title game.

Florida? I could see that being ok based on their season's body of work. In retrospect they got beat by Louisville.

The way I see it, there was only one matchup that made sense. Notre Dame vs. Alabama. Even if the Irish got thumped badly.

BisonTeacher
01-10-2013, 04:58 PM
Can't argue Notre Dame didn't earn being there either. Oregon? The two best teams on their schedule, Stanford and USC, were also on Notre Dame's schedule. Notre Dame beat them. Oregon went 1-1.

Kansas State? Their marquee win was against Oklahoma. Notre Dame also beat Oklahoma. Kansas State lost a game badly. Notre Dame was undefeated.

Georgia/Bama Rematch? Tough to let a team who gets absolutely mauled by South Carolina...and had two losses play in the title game.

Florida? I could see that being ok based on their season's body of work. In retrospect they got beat by Louisville.

The way I see it, there was only one matchup that made sense. Notre Dame vs. Alabama. Even if the Irish got thumped badly.

Based on the current system you are right. Im guessing what onbison meant was that Just because they beat them regular season, doesnt mean they would have in a playoff.

Gully
01-10-2013, 06:14 PM
My preference would be for them to go back to the old system where the bowl games featured traditional conference matchups and then the voters decided. Some years there was a split. There were some awesome games.

That said, I'd much prefer a real playoff to the way it is now with the BCS. They're sort of half pregnant, which usually isn't a good idea. On top of that, the "traditional" conferences don't exist anymore (at least in the same form) so I guess more and more I'm starting to like the idea of a true playoff.

BisonTeacher
01-10-2013, 06:17 PM
Here you go Teach

http://youtu.be/eKRvrsPKXeA

Thank you. Good stuff. Most of those commercials are pretty entertaining.

IndyBison
01-10-2013, 09:09 PM
My preference would be for them to go back to the old system where the bowl games featured traditional conference matchups and then the voters decided. Some years there was a split. There were some awesome games.

That said, I'd much prefer a real playoff to the way it is now with the BCS. They're sort of half pregnant, which usually isn't a good idea. On top of that, the "traditional" conferences don't exist anymore (at least in the same form) so I guess more and more I'm starting to like the idea of a true playoff.
Would you like the idea of a full bowl season (fewer bowls than they have today so they have a little more meaning) and no concept of a national championship?

I could live with that. I enjoy all the bowl games and everything around them. Using them to help decide a national championship if flawed. I also have no issue with an expanded playoff system but I think the bowls will have to go at that point.

Gully
01-10-2013, 10:38 PM
Would you like the idea of a full bowl season (fewer bowls than they have today so they have a little more meaning) and no concept of a national championship?

I could live with that. I enjoy all the bowl games and everything around them. Using them to help decide a national championship if flawed. I also have no issue with an expanded playoff system but I think the bowls will have to go at that point.

Yes, that's what I'm saying. The only impact on the "championship" would be the outcome would be considered by the voters in the polls. In other words, go back to the way it used to be.

onbison09
01-11-2013, 02:09 AM

Sorry I didn't make that clear. Yeah Notre Dame deserved it under the system. No question. But I still say the system sucks. Final 4 will be better, 8 would be even better, 16 would be awesome (and I have heard the arguments about how that will never work)

onbison09
01-11-2013, 02:09 AM
Or that the best teams didn't have a chance to make it there(NDSU v GSU anyone??).

Very true but that's the breaks.

344Johnson
01-11-2013, 02:12 AM
Sorry I didn't make that clear. Yeah Notre Dame deserved it under the system. No question. But I still say the system sucks. Final 4 will be better, 8 would be even better, 16 would be awesome (and I have heard the arguments about how that will never work)

Buttstudentathleteacademics.

Give them a buy during finals week(the one most of us use), play before and after.

onbison09
01-11-2013, 02:20 AM
Buttstudentathleteacademics.

Give them a buy during finals week(the one most of us use), play before and after.

Why can FCS players play a game the Saturday of finals week but not FBS?

BisonNation11
01-11-2013, 02:37 AM
How come FCS players' bodies can handle 4 extra weeks of games and FBS players' can't? I thought they were better athletes?

NorthernBison
01-11-2013, 12:47 PM
Yes, that's what I'm saying. The only impact on the "championship" would be the outcome would be considered by the voters in the polls. In other words, go back to the way it used to be.

We can't go back to the way it used to be. The old conference alignments are are F'd up. The beauty of the Traditional Bowl system was the conference matchups. We can't rebuild that.