PDA

View Full Version : Where do we go from here?

bisondad
01-07-2013, 04:20 PM
Ok, crazy idea here maybe, but this team seems to have climbed the mountain, so to speak. As I looked around at the atmosphere & people at Frisco, I thought to myself, these are exactly like Packer fans. Love to tailgate, rugged, hearty fans willing to do about anything to support their team. Weather will not stop this bunch from tailgating or watching football. As a matter of fact, I think the worse the conditions, the better they will like it. With that in mind, Is it time to look at a new outdoor stadium, maybe 35,000 - 40,000 people??? Nebraska, Oklahoma, Iowa, Montana etc etc are states that fill their stadiums without major population centers close by. As long as the tailgating section is big enough, I think this program could do it. Would give us another mountain to climb, but this is probably the situation where it could work. Comments???????????

Kermit
01-07-2013, 04:24 PM
Ok, crazy idea here maybe, but this team seems to have climbed the mountain, so to speak. As I looked around at the atmosphere & people at Frisco, I thought to myself, these are exactly like Packer fans. Love to tailgate, rugged, hearty fans willing to do about anything to support their team. Weather will not stop this bunch from tailgating or watching football. As a matter of fact, I think the worse the conditions, the better they will like it. With that in mind, Is it time to look at a new outdoor stadium, maybe 35,000 - 40,000 people??? Nebraska, Oklahoma, Iowa, Montana etc etc are states that fill their stadiums without major population centers close by. As long as the tailgating section is big enough, I think this program could do it. Would give us another mountain to climb, but this is probably the situation where it could work. Comments???????????

Disagree. December in Fargo is not comparable to December in most of those other places--even Green Bay. I don't want to think about 3 outdoor playoff football games in Fargo in December. More importantly, I also think that outdoor football in Fargo could really hurt our recruiting.

I also remember attending Vikings games at the old Met Stadium in December. Horrible!

Civil06
01-07-2013, 04:28 PM

Check neg rep. Please don't ever compare me to a fat drunken sconnie (copyright Cory Cove)...

:)

loudsilverado
01-07-2013, 04:33 PM
We need to beat UND and finally get the monkey off of our backs imo

MarkyMark
01-07-2013, 04:39 PM
I would like to see a plan for a larger indoor stadium. Expand Fargodome or build a new one next to it.

Honeybooboo
01-07-2013, 04:39 PM

Most normal people would say let's focus on the first 3 peat in NDSU history, how in the hell does playing and beating UND take any sort of Monkey off our back??

Hammerhead
01-07-2013, 04:45 PM
How many old folks and little kids do you think will attend outdoor games when it's below freezing?

heffray
01-07-2013, 04:46 PM
Disagree. December in Fargo is not comparable to December in most of those other places--even Green Bay. I don't want to think about 3 outdoor playoff football games in Fargo in December. More importantly, I also think that outdoor football in Fargo could really hurt our recruiting.

I also remember attending Vikings games at the old Met Stadium in December. Horrible!

This is the best point on here. We need talent to win championships. This team will have plenty of opportunities to win some epic outdoor games, like we just did.

heffray
01-07-2013, 04:47 PM
Check neg rep. Please don't ever compare me to a fat drunken sconnie (copyright Cory Cove)...

Second best point on here...

bajadanny
01-07-2013, 04:55 PM
Bison fans are getting used to that indoor comfort, would be hard to ask them to sit outside once again, I went to many, many games at Dacotah field when it was way cold and everyone there was having a stellar time, we need a bigger stadium PERIOD

jtownbisonfan
01-07-2013, 05:07 PM
3 peat? 3 peat. Probably a good place to go.

SDbison
01-07-2013, 05:11 PM
If NDSU wants to grow the football experience then it is time to start planning for the future. To not plan is just plain stupid and regresssive. Obviously some of you just can't think outside of the box. The guy that started this thread is a big time Bison fan even after his offensive lineman son graduated from NDSU. Some of you just rip on him because of the Packers reference.
Maybe technology can provide for an outdoor stadium with heated seating and foot warming. Much cheaper than another domed stadium that has no expansion capabilties and is expensive to build and maintain.

missingnumber7
01-07-2013, 05:13 PM
Most normal people would say let's focus on the first 3 peat in NDSU history, how in the hell does playing and beating UND take any sort of Monkey off our back??I say lets focus on never losing a football game in January ever again!!!

EagleBison
01-07-2013, 05:15 PM
I've attended Bison games at old Dakotah field in November and Lambeau in Dec and Jan. Lambeau was never as cold as Dakotah field. Even when sitting on crusty ice coated aluminum bleachers in Lambeau. Retractible roof, though probably too expensive would be the best option. Looking 10 -15 years or more down the road on this though. Love to see a 3-peat first.

loudsilverado
01-07-2013, 05:16 PM
2003 sticks in my mind, we need to kick their ass imo.

NDSU92
01-07-2013, 05:21 PM
No question GT has done and is doing research for the future and of course that involves stadiums. We can speculate all we want but in the end I completely trust that he'll make the best decision for this university.

NDSUstudent
01-07-2013, 05:25 PM
The only way we ever play outside is if we go FBS which I don't see happening anytime soon.

56BISON73
01-07-2013, 05:30 PM

As much as I love outdoor football----I have to agree with all of the above.

Playoffs 1969 Browns-Vikings at the Met-----FREEEEEEEAAAAAAAAKKKKKing COLD

EndZoneQB
01-07-2013, 05:32 PM
As much as I love outdoor football----I have to agree with all of the above.

Playoffs 1969 Browns-Vikings at the Met-----FREEEEEEEAAAAAAAAKKKKKing COLD

It's one thing to endure a few hours of cold while tailgating knowing you will be entering a climate controlled building. It's quite another to sit outside for 3-4hrs after tailgating outside for 5 hours. No thanks.

IndyBison
01-07-2013, 05:38 PM
Nebraska, Oklahoma, Iowa, Montana etc etc are states that fill their stadiums without major population centers close by.
Overall not a bad thing to think about. I don't believe the fan base would support much more than 25k now but that could continue to grow. In your examples, Nebraska, Oklahoma and Iowa do have larger metropolitan areas closer than Fargo but they also have much larger universities that have generated a lot more alumni over the years. The size of the market where the school is located isn't nearly as important as the proximity of the alumni in relation to the school. Minneapolis is close enough for many people but probably too far for the casual fans. State College, PA, is a very small town and far from any metropolitan areas, but they have the history and tradition that people will drive from Philly, Pittsburgh, NYC, etc. for game day.

Like us they are on the only game in town but probably have more history of non-alumni supporting the program. For example, I know several Nebraska natives that did not go to school in Lincoln but they are huge Nebraska fans. There is some of that in ND but I bet a lot of those fans would not support the team if we had a few 7-4 seasons. Montana would be a much better comparison and why I think the 25k number is about right based on current success.

SafeTeeJ
01-07-2013, 06:00 PM
3 peat! Keep winning NatL championships! We are at or near the Apex! Enjoy it! There will be down years. Just look at the 20 YEARS between Natty appearances. I would like to see an Univ owned indoor arena that seats around 35K. Lots of glass to let in natural light or big doors that open the concourse to the outside. this would help get the fumes out during tractor pulls, too.

Rather than going up to FBS, i would like to see all non-conf games be played against bigger programs, with Home and away contracts. But we need a bigger stadium to get those, IMO! Hail the Bison!

A1pigskin
01-07-2013, 07:47 PM
I would like to see more seating in the Fargodome to 25k. The seating could be open to GA at $15.

MNLonghorn10
01-07-2013, 08:34 PM
Yea..theres cold..then theres fargo cold+ wind.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

IndyBison
01-07-2013, 09:04 PM
Yea..theres cold..then theres fargo cold+ wind.

I had no idea how cold it was up there until I moved away. I thought most of the Midwest was generally that cold. Not even close.

344Johnson
01-07-2013, 09:13 PM
Keep the dome. Get the fan support that even during a .500 season it is full in there. At that point, break ground on a newer larger dome.

tony
01-07-2013, 09:16 PM
I say lets focus on never losing a football game in January ever again!!!

Stay away from the Corrupt-a-Wish genie!

Only 1 FCS team a year loses a football game in January, only one FCS team a year wins a game in January, and most of the rest will never do either.

Undefeated season... I think that would be pretty cool. Only way to do that is to beat K-State.

bisonmike2
01-07-2013, 09:26 PM
Let's just skip the 3-peat talk all together since it's a foregone conclusion. The question should be: Can we 4-peat?

EndZoneQB
01-07-2013, 09:30 PM
Let's just skip the 3-peat talk all together since it's a foregone conclusion. The question should be: Can we 4-peat?

http://hark.com/clips/mhsvynzfmv-repeat-three-peat-or-even-a-four-peat

http://www.pitch.com/binary/7497/superfans.jpg

td577
01-07-2013, 10:34 PM

I thought the expectations of a NC weren't until next season anyways, so these two are just icing on the cake. I think with Wentz here as the starter for two seasons after, I think we should be talking five peat. Since we will only have to reload, not rebuild, it looks like there is no place else to go except continue to win championships. Maybe a 13 or 20 peat.

EndZoneQB
01-07-2013, 10:37 PM
I thought the expectations of a NC weren't until next season anyways, so these two are just icing on the cake. I think with Wentz here as the starter for two seasons after, I think we should be talking five peat. Since we will only have to reload, not rebuild, it looks like there is no place else to go except continue to win championships. Maybe a 13 or 20 peat.

Read post above yours.

thundarsdaddy
01-07-2013, 11:02 PM
Keep the dome. Get the fan support that even during a .500 season it is full in there. At that point, break ground on a newer larger dome.

Totally agree with ^^^^

Also, keep recruiting students who are true student athletes, such as Ryan Drevlow who was named Academic All American, among a host of others from all sports.
Look at Notre Dame tonight, Manti Te'o and Mike Golic Jr. are both Academic All Americans. This allows for a large fanbase that doesnt just care about sports, but the fact that NDSU is represented well, and everyone is proud. In other words...keep doing whatcha been doing already!

MankatoBison
01-07-2013, 11:44 PM
I would love nothing more than a nice, 25-35k seat stadium... I look at Montana's Stadium and honestly start to drool... That being said, recognize how incredible the Fargodome is for our level and I understand how cold it is in Fargo and how horrible it really can be when the wind gets howling... But I think we all can agree to some extent that we just need a bigger stadium. I have come to love the dome but the reality is, is that for a program such as ours that doesnt show signs of regressing, needs the ABILITY to expand their stadium.
Those criteria definitely point to an outdoor stadium. I am by no means an expert on stadium construction, but I'm sure there is SOMETHING they could do to make an outdoor stadium in Fargo bearable. Idk if theres some kind of canopy or structure that could go around the top perimeter of the stadium to keep the wind to a minimum inside of the stadium or some kind of affordable heating in the seats or field, I dont know, but I dont think its impossible or impractical... If these are impossible, then I am absolutely in favor of an indoor stadium, whether that means some kind of expansion project on the dome or another new dome entirely.
I just think the way the programs headed, and the INSANE fan base the Bison have, its important to start this kind of discussion now, because this issue will come to a head in the next 5-10 years for sure.

td577
01-07-2013, 11:52 PM
Read post above yours.

They would have been really close had Jordan not played baseball in between the three-peats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BisonHorns
01-07-2013, 11:53 PM
I love it indoors. Go sit outside tomorrow for 5 hours then come back in here and post what type of building you want to be in and your players to play in. Fire outdoor stadium save the dome!

BisonNation11
01-08-2013, 02:30 AM
I love it indoors. Go sit outside tomorrow for 5 hours then come back in here and post what type of building you want to be in and your players to play in. Fire outdoor stadium save the dome!

You mean go drink cold beer outside for 5 hours then sit outside for another 3 hours watching Vigen call a non-playoff conference game. Indoor stadium please. 35k seating capacity to be finished in 10 years. Don't care where. Need a dome to keep the noise in and make it a place no one wants to play in. Upper and lower level with suites/boxes all the way around the bottom of the upper deck. Giant video boards above the end zones and me on the 40 yard line. Students in every corner keeping the knitters awake.

Thundering Herd
01-08-2013, 02:37 AM
Must be hard to see where you're going if you are always looking behind you...

loudsilverado
01-08-2013, 02:53 AM
Must be hard to see where you're going if you are always looking behind you...

You are right, but we can't keep avoiding them. You can't just throw away our history with them so easily.

perthbison
01-08-2013, 03:02 AM
How many old folks and little kids do you think will attend outdoor games when it's below freezing?We'd lose the knitters for sure. I know a lot of humor has been made from them but I consider them valued fans because they cared enough to show up when things wern't going as well and there wasn't a sellout. We could see playoff games with subzero temps to say nothing about our wind.

BlueBisonRock
01-08-2013, 05:12 AM
We'd lose the knitters for sure. I know a lot of humor has been made from them but I consider them valued fans because they cared enough to show up when things wern't going as well and there wasn't a sellout. We could see playoff games with subzero temps to say nothing about our wind.

And as I understand, your wind can really impact the crowd.

unbison
01-08-2013, 12:30 PM
You are right, but we can't keep avoiding them. You can't just throw away our history with them so easily.
What's to be gained.... Playing them?

CalBison97
01-08-2013, 01:08 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT-I8jQDQ7c

loudsilverado
01-08-2013, 01:10 PM

We renew one of the greatest rivalries in college football

tjbison
01-08-2013, 01:10 PM

Nothing, economically or athletically. They would though, they would gain a return game that would sell out, el forko would get a local economic stimulation, and they would get th defending champs on their schedule which would boost their SOS.

Nothing positive for us, we sell out all the games so it wouldn't matter.

CalBison97
01-08-2013, 01:14 PM
nothing, economically or athletically. They would though, they would gain a return game that would sell out, el forko would get a local economic stimulation, and they would get th defending champs on their schedule which would boost their sos.

+++++++++this+++++++++++

OrygunBison
01-08-2013, 01:18 PM
I had no idea how cold it was up there until I moved away. I thought most of the Midwest was generally that cold. Not even close.

I had the same experience. After college, I moved to Grand Rapids, Michigan for a few years. It took me until mid-December to start wearing a light jacket. I think it got to 15 degrees a few times that first winter but at least it snowed a lot.

SD - I like how you are thinking. Unfortunately, a radiant heating system for a stadium would be absurdly expensive. It might be easier to buy a retractable roof. People throw crazy numbers out for what that would cost but I don't really buy it. Almost all of them that you see have not been designed with a budget in mind. Perhaps something less mechanized could work. Transform it only occasionally rather than overnight. Also, design the concourses. And the upper parts of the stadium with operable glazing to get some sun in the place even when it is all closed up. Those windows/shutters/glass garage doors could be opened in good weather to allow the air to move freely.

Personally, I think anything smaller than 35K would be silly. It costs so much more to expand than to build it right the first time.

NorthernBison
01-08-2013, 01:29 PM
Nothing, economically or athletically. They would though, they would gain a return game that would sell out, el forko would get a local economic stimulation, and they would get th defending champs on their schedule which would boost their SOS.

I'm not proposing we schedule them and this is an old argument.

From your post, it is clear that you don't have access to a calculator. We PAY cupcakes upwards of $250,000 to come to Fargo. We would pay them ZERO. That's like an extra home game to our bottom line.

The decision has been made to do home and home deals (see our arrangements with Montana State and Montana) and that means decisions have to be made reagarding FBS scheduling, 5 or 6 home games, and playing 12 when allowed. You simply cannot get everything you want.

I'll let Gene figure it out but the most financially attractive opponent is the closest one. Speaking strictly from a numbers standpoint and leaving everything else out of the mix.

#1BISONFAN ASHLEY
01-08-2013, 01:57 PM

Don't forget another "moral victory" for them also.

Mr. Burgundy
01-08-2013, 02:09 PM
The part that both UND fans don't understand is that THEY SHOULDN'T WANT TO PLAY US. They are having a hard enough time in the Big Fluffy. If they were to add NDSU on the road, that is another loss. There were Big Fluffy teams with 8 wins that didn't make the playoffs. Do they want an automatic loss in the toughest place to play in FCS football? Or do they want to better their chances at making the playoffs. if they do make the playoffs, they will play in the Fargodome. They won't have access to tickets, and it will be HOSTILE like never before.

westnodak93bison
01-08-2013, 02:12 PM
The part that both UND fans don't understand is that THEY SHOULDN'T WANT TO PLAY US. They are having a hard enough time in the Big Fluffy. If they were to add NDSU on the road, that is another loss. There were Big Fluffy teams with 8 wins that didn't make the playoffs. Do they want an automatic loss in the toughest place to play in FCS football? Or do they want to better their chances at making the playoffs. if they do make the playoffs, they will play in the Fargodome. They won't have access to tickets, and it will be HOSTILE like never before.

Nobody ever said UND fans are smart. For cripes sake they like ice hockey over fb?

aces1180
01-08-2013, 02:13 PM
Gene needs to offer a one-time guarantee game for $100,000-$150,000, plus bus fare with the Nickel on the line. When UND rejects it, he can call up Izzo and Kolpack and let them know they tried to get the game, but UND was unwilling to accept the terms of the contract.

aces1180
01-08-2013, 02:15 PM

A cupcake win similar to the likes of PVAM or Valpo...The only difference would be the hype and game atmosphere, which would be pretty crazy.

UTH
01-08-2013, 02:16 PM
Kansas State
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff311/indio_rojas/KaufmanAlumniStadiumKansasStateUniversityfootball_ zps25877873.jpg

I wish people would quit asking stupid questions and dreaming up silly ideas like this. If that's why a person is a Bison fan, he's doing it for the wrong reasons. This is tantamount to saddling unicorns, playing with nazis, garden gnome body guards, quarter-million-seat stadiums, etc.*

*fire good idea fairy. save Bison:facepalm:

jimmyptubas
01-08-2013, 02:41 PM
Overall not a bad thing to think about. I don't believe the fan base would support much more than 25k now but that could continue to grow. In your examples, Nebraska, Oklahoma and Iowa do have larger metropolitan areas closer than Fargo but they also have much larger universities that have generated a lot more alumni over the years. The size of the market where the school is located isn't nearly as important as the proximity of the alumni in relation to the school. Minneapolis is close enough for many people but probably too far for the casual fans. State College, PA, is a very small town and far from any metropolitan areas, but they have the history and tradition that people will drive from Philly, Pittsburgh, NYC, etc. for game day.

Like us they are on the only game in town but probably have more history of non-alumni supporting the program. For example, I know several Nebraska natives that did not go to school in Lincoln but they are huge Nebraska fans. There is some of that in ND but I bet a lot of those fans would not support the team if we had a few 7-4 seasons. Montana would be a much better comparison and why I think the 25k number is about right based on current success.

I've always wondered how many avid Bison fans/ bv'ers never went to school there. I myself have never even attended a single class there. I just grew up on Dacotah field and learned football from my dad every Saturday. He never went to NDSU either..just a Fargo transplant. Much like PL, the game against the gophers in 2006 piqued my interest while I was in college in Duluth. Moving home in 2008 sealed the deal and here we are now. I don't know what 20 years down the road holds for us but I do know that I like where we are now and i'm going to enjoy it. If there are drastic changes in the program i just hope that they are done for valid reasons and will keep the team relevant for years to come.

IndyBison
01-08-2013, 02:53 PM
I've always wondered how many avid Bison fans/ bv'ers never went to school there. I myself have never even attended a single class there. I just grew up on Dacotah field and learned football from my dad every Saturday. He never went to NDSU either..just a Fargo transplant. Much like PL, the game against the gophers in 2006 piqued my interest while I was in college in Duluth. Moving home in 2008 sealed the deal and here we are now. I don't know what 20 years down the road holds for us but I do know that I like where we are now and i'm going to enjoy it. If there are drastic changes in the program i just hope that they are done for valid reasons and will keep the team relevant for years to come.
I'm sure there is some of that with the Bison as well. I just doubt it is as significant as the long-time FBS schools. It's definitely more than most FCS schools though.

Hammerhead
01-08-2013, 06:08 PM
A long-time Bison fan that lives across the street never went to NDSU as far as I know and neither did his children. He's retired now and attends some of the road games along with the games in Frisco since they are winter Texans now.

HandoEX
01-08-2013, 06:49 PM
There were spots aplenty for the Georgia Southern game in the tailgating lots. The two cupcake games at the start of the season had way more tailgaters. Tell me there is no correlation to bad weather not stopping people from showing up. Do you really think it would be a reversal at the games? Probably not.

HerdBot
01-08-2013, 07:12 PM
No on outdoor stadiums. The dome is a perfect fit for our weather. I think if were lucky we could find some creative ways to add some capacity, but not much and it will be expensive. To build a 35,000 seat dome stadium would cost half a billion and would take 10 years to raise the money and we would need the city to chip in. And where would we put it?

I think we need to see where we are in 5 years and have the discussion when the entire dome is season tickets (with a donation level) and general admission seats are reserved teammakers seats...and we have a waiting list.

In the meantime we need to do many things like...

upgrade to HD broadcasts, expand national TV coverage, (get basketball on tv too) build an indoor football practice facility, and figure out a way to keep our assistant coaches. Meanwhile we need to complete the shac and build our basketball program to a level similar to UNI and make some noise at a national level. Also need to upgrade our softball field while refurbishing Dacotah Field for soccer. We need to stay ahead of SDSU, USD, UND, and Omaha in other sports. Even UND and SDSU have plans for an indoor facility and pretty much every school has a nicer facility than the BSA. These things effect football too. Oh and we need some more Bison signage inside and outside of the dome including Bison statues and permanent restrooms in the tailgating lot

And we need to turn the spring game into a bigger event. I'm talking a sellout event

SafeTeeJ
01-08-2013, 07:16 PM
We got KSU next year and Iowa in 2016. What do we have for 2014 and 2015. I would think a big 10 team in 2014 and a Big 12 again in 2015...? Which teams?

kbswish22
01-08-2013, 07:25 PM
We got KSU next year and Iowa in 2016. What do we have for 2014 and 2015. I would think a big 10 team in 2014 and a Big 12 again in 2015...? Which teams?

I believe we have Iowa State in 2014. Do not believe there is an FBS team currently scheduled for 2015.

EndZoneQB
01-08-2013, 07:28 PM
There were spots aplenty for the Georgia Southern game in the tailgating lots. The two cupcake games at the start of the season had way more tailgaters. Tell me there is no correlation to bad weather not stopping people from showing up. Do you really think it would be a reversal at the games? Probably not.

Remember that was a FRIDAY game...LOTS of people out of town or locals that had to work.

Strongman
01-08-2013, 07:50 PM
It's time we move up and join the MAC, Conference USA, or Mountain West Conference. We have the money, alumni, and population base to make the move and be successful within 5 to 10 years. There is no reason why OUR GOAL CANNOT BE THE NEXT Boise State and within ten years, go 11-1, win their non BCS conference, and play in a quality bowl every year especially if Bohl remains their coach.

In 1975, Boise State was a bad D II team. Nowadays, they are a consistent top 20 team every year. IF Bison nation thinks progressively and positively there is no reason why they cannot be successful. A successful program will have to be defined no longer as winning a national title but making a top 20 ranking and/or playing in a quality bowl. They need to get build a 35,000 seat stadium (like Boise State). But with the oil boom in North Dakota, the continued population growth in Fargo-Moorhead, and the the success of the program, now is the perfect time to make the move.

I graduated from NDSU in 1991. We should have made the move to DIAA back in 1992. I observed the same mentality and mindset then as I seenow: "NDSU cannot compete in the Big Sky." "The FargoDome is too expensive and will be the biggest mistake in Fargo and NDSU history." ETC.

It's time the alumni and fan base be progressive and be positive. And rid ourselves of the mentality that people from North Dakota cannot compete with the big boys. All the top FCS schools are moving up in the next few years. The writing is on the wall. It is not a question of if, but when.

As an alumnus, I'd rather have the Bison play with the Big Dawgs and go 8-3 then win another I AA title.

BisonNation11
01-08-2013, 07:58 PM
It's time we move up and join the MAC, Conference USA, or Mountain West Conference. We have the money, alumni, and population base to make the move and be successful within 5 to 10 years. There is no reason why OUR GOAL CANNOT BE THE NEXT Boise State and within ten years, go 11-1, win their non BCS conference, and play in a quality bowl every year especially if Bohl remains their coach.

In 1975, Boise State was a bad D II team. Nowadays, they are a consistent top 20 team every year. IF Bison nation thinks progressively and positively there is no reason why they cannot be successful. A successful program will have to be defined no longer as winning a national title but making a top 20 ranking and/or playing in a quality bowl. They need to get build a 35,000 seat stadium (like Boise State). But with the oil boom in North Dakota, the continued population growth in Fargo-Moorhead, and the the success of the program, now is the perfect time to make the move.

I graduated from NDSU in 1991. We should have made the move to DIAA back in 1992. I observed the same mentality and mindset then as I seenow: "NDSU cannot compete in the Big Sky." "The FargoDome is too expensive and will be the biggest mistake in Fargo and NDSU history." ETC.

It's time the alumni and fan base be progressive and be positive. And rid ourselves of the mentality that people from North Dakota cannot compete with the big boys. All the top FCS schools are moving up in the next few years. The writing is on the wall. It is not a question of if, but when.

As an alumnus, I'd rather have the Bison play with the Big Dawgs and go 8-3 then win another I AA title.

And hang a banner in the new stadium that says "2021 Kotex Diet Mt. Dew Mary Kay Olay Depends Bowl Champion"? I say pass. Give me 4-5 extra games a year, in a new stadium, with a chance to be crowned a National Champion. Over 60 teams play for the rights to be called a Bowl Champion. Weak sauce. Only 2 teams have the opportunity to play in a National Championship decided by a playoff system. I'd be extremely happy being the Alabama of the FCS.

bisonaudit
01-08-2013, 08:10 PM

I agree with almost all of this except the idea that we don't think that we can compete. I think that mentality was the issue in the early 90s and it prevented us from moving up sooner - something we should have done. However, I don't believe that, that is the issue now. The issue now is that just about every athletic department between where we're at and the middle of the BCS conferences is broke or going broke trying to field a football team. Also, between here and there, there's nothing to play for. It's only a matter of time before both of these issues get fixed and when they do we should be prepared to move.

I don't want to see us get left behind again but the timing still has to be right. I don't think that it's right, right now. It'd also be nice to not get locked out of the new system for 5 years or whatever it is when it does come so I'll trust that our AD will accurately read the tea leaves and position this program correctly when the time comes.

Strongman
01-08-2013, 08:47 PM
In two years, the playoffs will be comprised of 4 teams. By the time NDSU moves up and is competitive, the $$$$$ will command a 16 to 20 team playoff. Assuming arguendo, that each conference winner gets an automatic bid with the remaining top 5 to 9 being at large teams, NDSU would have a realistic shot of making the playoffs via winning their conference.

33,000 people attending Haliburton Stadium (I am sure they can afford $5 million for the naming rights) watching the Bison in 2019 is realistic. As well as making the playoffs as the #16 or #20 seed.

bisonmike2
01-08-2013, 08:50 PM
In two years, the playoffs will be comprised of 4 teams. By the time NDSU moves up and is competitive, the $$$$$ will command a 16 to 20 team playoff. Assuming arguendo, that each conference winner gets an automatic bid with the remaining top 5 to 9 being at large teams, NDSU would have a realistic shot of making the playoffs via winning their conference.

33,000 people attending Haliburton Stadium (I am sure they can afford $5 million for the naming rights) watching the Bison in 2019 is realistic. As well as making the playoffs as the #16 or #20 seed.

hmm-mm. You're either on something or your on to something. That's an interesting take and I wouldn't mind that route.

NorthernBison
01-08-2013, 08:51 PM
The commitment for a 4 team playoff is 12 years. It sounds like the first chance for an expanded playoff field is 2026.

jimmyptubas
01-08-2013, 08:56 PM
I'm pretty sure the four team playoff system is locked in for 14 years. I'm with audit on this one. The time is not right but it might be someday and we have to be ready.

CaBisonFan
01-08-2013, 09:01 PM
We go back to square-one. New combinations of players, and possibly some different coaches.

We rebuild and set the goal of winning the MVFC to begin with...try to secure home-field advantage in the playoffs...

...and go from there.

bisonmike2
01-08-2013, 09:03 PM
I'm pretty sure the four team playoff system is locked in for 14 years. I'm with audit on this one. The time is not right but it might be someday and we have to be ready.

I could see them changing this after a couple years, especially once the ratings and the money starts rolling in. The presidents are idiots but they're not stupid and once they see how much money can be made by setting up a true playoff system, they could push for an expansion earlier.

Strongman
01-08-2013, 09:04 PM
The "commitment" for a four team playoff will be broken as soon as TV networks, college Presidents, etc., realize that a 15 game playoff or 17 game playoff would generate millions and millions of dollars more than the current system. The TV ratings for the two semifinal games will destroy the ratings for the "normal" BCS bowls. A 15 game or 17 game college football playoffs will make March Madness look trivial.

bisonaudit
01-08-2013, 09:05 PM
The commitment for a 4 team playoff is 12 years. It sounds like the first chance for an expanded playoff field is 2026.

If there is more money in it for everyone all parties will agree to replace that deal and expand. The open question is who is "everyone" going to include. The biggest conferences and the biggest schools are clearly looking to segregate themselves from the smaller conferences so that they don't have to share the pie.

SlickVic
01-08-2013, 09:07 PM
I feel you strongman its time we proved how great NDSU is as a program at this level its over johnny time to strap on the big boy pants and go fbs you fools can dog to bowls all you want but 1000 times more sports fans watched the #27 bowl game over fcs in frisco I'm sorry but lets make the mountain west happen right sambini ¿ ++++++

HandoEX
01-08-2013, 09:07 PM
Remember that was a FRIDAY game...LOTS of people out of town or locals that had to work.
There are spots open at every cold weather game. Cold weather tailgating always has less fans even in more important games. Always.

bisonmike2
01-08-2013, 09:10 PM
If there is more money in it for everyone all parties will agree to replace that deal and expand. The open question is who is "everyone" going to include. The biggest conferences and the biggest schools are clearly looking to segregate themselves from the smaller conferences so that they don't have to share the pie.

I wonder if the big conferences break away, will some on the fence opt to move back toward FCS? I'm not sure how they would sell that to their fans, but if the big schools break off, form their own division/playoffs, there would be a lot of mid-major type schools sitting on the fence wonder if they should drop millions and millions to try to match the big dogs or should they go back into the FCS ranks. If we truly have no shot at the top level, this is what I hope plays out. Large super conferences create their own level and the MAC and MWC type conferences come back into the FCS.

bisonaudit
01-08-2013, 09:14 PM
I wonder if the big conferences break away, will some on the fence opt to move back toward FCS? I'm not sure how they would sell that to their fans, but if the big schools break off, form their own division/playoffs, there would be a lot of mid-major type schools sitting on the fence wonder if they should drop millions and millions to try to match the big dogs or should they go back into the FCS ranks. If we truly have no shot at the top level, this is what I hope plays out. Large super conferences create their own level and the MAC and MWC type conferences come back into the FCS.

It's hard to say what will happen but I think this certainly possible. The $$$ are tough for a lot of these schools. Maybe meet somewhere in the middle with the upper tier of FCS? If the cartel at the very top isn't big enough or doesn't include the "the right schools" Congress could get involved or threaten to get involved as well.

jimmyptubas
01-08-2013, 09:16 PM
If you had a twenty team berths in fbs you could give the mid majors auto berths which would be desirable. I would not want to move up if we had no realistic chance at playoff berths....and this is all speculative until fbs expands, assuming it does. People are probably right that it will be a cash cow and could expand faster than 12 years.

NorthernBison
01-08-2013, 09:32 PM
If there is a larger playoff format, I predict that the MAC, MWC, WAC, etc conferences will NOT be part of the mix. NDSU will NEVER be invited to this dance.

Anybody thinking the City of Fargo will chip in for a new domed stadium is on some good drugs. Won't happen. Anybody thinking the State of North Dakota will spend a DIME on it is on even better drugs. World Class drugs.

56BISON73
01-08-2013, 09:46 PM
" Originally Posted by Strongman View Post
It's time we move up and join the MAC, Conference USA, or Mountain West Conference. We have the money, alumni, and population base to make the move and be successful within 5 to 10 years. There is no reason why OUR GOAL CANNOT BE THE NEXT Boise State and within ten years, go 11-1, win their non BCS conference, and play in a quality bowl every year especially if Bohl remains their coach."

Sounds good. But you have forgotten a couple of very important issues. What makes you think that those conferences would want NDSU? You also have to take in to account the academic component. What conference are we a good fit? Which conference will we enhance them academically? If we dont make them better academically we dont get invited. Just because we have a great football program doesnt mean conferences will want us.

NDSUstudent
01-08-2013, 09:51 PM
" Originally Posted by Strongman View Post
It's time we move up and join the MAC, Conference USA, or Mountain West Conference. We have the money, alumni, and population base to make the move and be successful within 5 to 10 years. There is no reason why OUR GOAL CANNOT BE THE NEXT Boise State and within ten years, go 11-1, win their non BCS conference, and play in a quality bowl every year especially if Bohl remains their coach."

Sounds good. But you have forgotten a couple of very important issues. What makes you think that those conferences would want NDSU? You also have to take in to account the academic component. What conference are we a good fit? Which conference will we enhance them academically? If we dont make them better academically we dont get invited. Just because we have a great football program doesnt mean conferences will want us.

Academically we fit in any of these lower tier conferences, TV market size is the #1 issue.

HerdBot
01-08-2013, 10:05 PM

If they put together a real playoff format maybe.

56BISON73
01-08-2013, 10:26 PM
Academically we fit in any of these lower tier conferences, TV market size is the #1 issue.

How do we fit? Do some research on Penn State and their acceptance in to the big 10.

NDSUstudent
01-08-2013, 10:40 PM
How do we fit? Do some research on Penn State and their acceptance in to the big 10.

You might want to do some research if you don't think we fit academically with the MAC or MWC. IMO it is far better fit than the current conferences that we are in.

The things holding us back is like I said before is TV market size and also geography....we aren't exactly in the footprint of either conference.

Bisonguy
01-08-2013, 11:11 PM
If they put together a real playoff format maybe.

If they put together a real playoff format, what would they talk about during the FCS playoffs and halftime of the FCS championship?

BisonNation11
01-08-2013, 11:13 PM
If they put together a real playoff format, what would they talk about during the FCS playoffs and halftime of the FCS championship?

How good and how fast SHSU players are.

56BISON73
01-08-2013, 11:14 PM
You might want to do some research if you don't think we fit academically with the MAC or MWC. IMO it is far better fit than the current conferences that we are in.

The things holding us back is like I said before is TV market size and also geography....we aren't exactly in the footprint of either conference.

Again I will ask how we fit. You seen to know so please enlighten me.

NDSUstudent
01-08-2013, 11:25 PM
Again I will ask how we fit. You seen to know so please enlighten me.

We are a top tier research school, a land grant and a state flagship. From a research perspective we are probably in the top 1/3 of both the MAC and MWC. Honestly I can't believe you are even questioning if we would fit academically in these conferences, it is obvious that we do.

NDSU1980
01-08-2013, 11:48 PM
Let FBS fumble around with this for another 20 years. They still won't get it right and we should want no part of it. What I would rather see is FCS increase scholarships to say 72 or 75. Is there any realistic chance of scholly numbers even being looked at? Numbers should be upped before we get too many D2 migrants moving in a cheapening up the landscape and higher numbers might keep some from going the FBS route.

If FCS scholly numbers were to ever be looked at, who votes? Just FCS members, or everyone in the NCAA?

56BISON73
01-09-2013, 12:09 AM
We are a top tier research school, a land grant and a state flagship. From a research perspective we are probably in the top 1/3 of both the MAC and MWC. Honestly I can't believe you are even questioning if we would fit academically in these conferences, it is obvious that we do.

Where does our research tie in to theirs? Any synergism? In what way do we enhance their system? Or will we? There are numerous other talking points. As I mentioned before about Penn State. It was their academic package that was the deal maker and got them in the Big Ten.
I dont see how its so obvious to assume we would fit.. But thats why we are having this discussion isnt it.

BisonNation11
01-09-2013, 12:11 AM
Where does our research tie in to theirs? Any synergism? In what way do we enhance their system? Or will we? There are numerous other talking points. As I mentioned before about Penn State. It was their academic package that was the deal maker and got them in the Big Ten.
I dont see how its so obvious to assume we would fit.. But thats why we are having this discussion isnt it.

Of course we fit! We are the Mighty Bison! Who the f#%& are you??? :biggrin:

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
01-09-2013, 12:24 AM
Gene needs to offer a one-time guarantee game for $100,000-$150,000, plus bus fare with the Nickel on the line. When UND rejects it, he can call up Izzo and Kolpack and let them know they tried to get the game, but UND was unwilling to accept the terms of the contract.

I still like my "bowl of soup and free (Bison) hat" offer better. :biggrin:

NDSUstudent
01-09-2013, 12:27 AM

The Big 10 places far more weight on academics than any conference not named the Ivy League. So yes academics are a huge issue as far as they are concerned, any possible expansion candidate would be gone over with a fine tooth comb to make sure they are completely up to the conference's lofty academic standards.

The MAC is a smattering of schools with different academic missions and reputations....I don't think the conference has any real academic identity. It isn't anything like the Big 10. It is more like the Summit League or MVFC with its schools being all over the map academically.

The MWC has more of a common identity and some of its schools are our academic peers. It is probably the conference with schools most like NDSU....I don't think their school presidents would have any issues with our academics and I'm guessing some would be excited about bringing in NDSU.

NDSU's biggest problem will forever be geography, we are long way from most leagues and some of these lower tier conferences value geography as much as they do academics.

56BISON73
01-09-2013, 12:32 AM
The Big 10 places far more weight on academics than any conference not named the Ivy League. So yes academics are a huge issue as far as they are concerned, any possible expansion candidate would be gone over with a fine tooth comb to make sure they are completely up to the conference's lofty academic standards.

The MAC is a smattering of schools with different academic missions and reputations....I don't think the conference has any real academic identity. It isn't anything like the Big 10. It is more like the Summit League or MVFC with its schools being all over the map academically.

The MWC has more of a common identity and some of its schools are our academic peers. It is probably the conference with schools most like NDSU....I don't think their school presidents would have any issues with our academics and I'm guessing some would be excited about bringing in NDSU.

NDSU's biggest problem will forever be geography, we are long way from most leagues and some of these lower tier conferences value geography as much as they do academics.

Thanks. Your points about the conferences not having an academic identity was interesting. Geography will be a huge $$$$ concern. IMO. Thanks again

EndZoneQB
01-09-2013, 12:34 AM

Frankly, they value geography because they don't have the following like Nebraska, Texas, Notre Dame, Us...lol

Hammerhead
01-09-2013, 07:06 PM
To be correct, about 2 times as many people watched the #27 bowl game compared to the game in Frisco.
http://i.imgur.com/2UflS.jpg

I feel you strongman its time we proved how great NDSU is as a program at this level its over johnny time to strap on the big boy pants and go fbs you fools can dog to bowls all you want but 1000 times more sports fans watched the #27 bowl game over fcs in frisco I'm sorry but lets make the mountain west happen right sambini ¿ ++++++

Strongman
01-10-2013, 05:30 PM
More evidence that the move should be made forthwith.

dragonsfan
01-10-2013, 05:38 PM
Yessir strongman, I think Fargo-moorhead deserve FBS football, it would elevate msum as well.

MankatoBison
01-10-2013, 05:39 PM
More evidence that the move should be made forthwith.
The only reason we didnt get more views is because we were on ESPN 2.. Dont try to tell me its ONLY because we're FCS. Look at graph man, nothing on ESPN2 was rated well at all. and the game that was successful was an SEC vs B10 matchup. The only reason we dont get ratings was because we were on ESPN2, The graph says it all

td577
01-10-2013, 05:56 PM
The only reason we didnt get more views is because we were on ESPN 2.. Dont try to tell me its ONLY because we're FCS. Look at graph man, nothing on ESPN2 was rated well at all. and the game that was successful was an SEC vs B10 matchup. The only reason we dont get ratings was because we were on ESPN2, The graph says it all.

I would tend to agree with this. Look at the GSU vs. ODU quarterfinal game outdrawing the championship. I would attribute this to two factors. It was the only college football game on at that time, with the Army/Navy game not on until 3. It was on ESPN.

The championship game is on the right date, just the wrong time. Head to head with another bowl game which was on ESPN.

I think the game would have been a much better draw if they played it on Saturday night on ESPN. You know what was on that Saturday night on ESPN? The world's strongest man competition. Sure that is fun to watch, but I would bet there were some people jonesing for some football.

Herd
01-10-2013, 06:19 PM
I wonder what the rating would look like if FCS title on espn and Pitt Ole Miss on duece. Bottom line, vet FCS title game on ESPN, without another game competing and the ratings will follow.

BisonNation11
01-10-2013, 06:34 PM

I would tend to agree with this. Look at the GSU vs. ODU quarterfinal game outdrawing the championship. I would attribute this to two factors. It was the only college football game on at that time, with the Army/Navy game not on until 3. It was on ESPN.

The championship game is on the right date, just the wrong time. Head to head with another bowl game which was on ESPN.

I think the game would have been a much better draw if they played it on Saturday night on ESPN. You know what was on that Saturday night on ESPN? The world's strongest man competition. Sure that is fun to watch, but I would bet there were some people jonesing for some football.

NFL playoffs were on Saturday night. That's tough to compete against, especially since it happened to be our viewing area's closest two teams playing head-to-head. I would like to see it on ESPN, however, and at the same time slot. Maybe even a 3 PM game. One chance to get ratings and I'd bet we wouldn't disappoint. Especially if we're going for a 3-peat. That's all the advertising you need.

MNLonghorn10
01-10-2013, 06:44 PM
NFL playoffs were on Saturday night. That's tough to compete against, especially since it happened to be our viewing area's closest two teams playing head-to-head. I would like to see it on ESPN, however, and at the same time slot. Maybe even a 3 PM game. One chance to get ratings and I'd bet we wouldn't disappoint. Especially if we're going for a 3-peat. That's all the advertising you need.

Dude. Let it go. I cant name d2s last 2 champs and im sure fbs people cant name the last 2 fcs champs. Nobody is going to care about a 3 peat unless you follow fcs.

We need common mans excuse computer for bison fans trying to justify the low rankings #

MNLonghorn10
01-10-2013, 06:47 PM
I wonder what the rating would look like if FCS title on espn and Pitt Ole Miss on duece. Bottom line, vet FCS title game on ESPN, without another game competing and the ratings will follow.

Way to go out on a limb. Tell every ad and espn to schedule games around the fcs.

And i guarantee espn would run a sportscenter episode over the fcs championship.

NorthernBison
01-10-2013, 06:49 PM

There were two NFL Wild Card games on Saturday. First at 3:00 and the late game at 7:00. Good way to guaranty nobody watching the FCS game.

MNLonghorn10
01-10-2013, 06:53 PM
Orrrr nobody cares...i dont watch a tuesday night sun belt game because i dont care who wins so i dont waste my time

BisonNation11
01-10-2013, 06:56 PM
Dude. Let it go. I cant name d2s last 2 champs and im sure fbs people cant name the last 2 fcs champs. Nobody is going to care about a 3 peat unless you follow fcs.

Beat K-State, 3-peat, and suddenly you're a household name just like App. St. turned out to be. And they don't have to know who the last 2 FCS champs were. There was only 1. Us. I get what you're saying though. Excuse me for drinking the kool-aid.

td577
01-10-2013, 07:26 PM
I forgot about the nfl playoffs.

mnriverbison
01-10-2013, 07:38 PM
Beat K-State, 3-peat, and suddenly you're a household name just like App. St. turned out to be. And they don't have to know who the last 2 FCS champs were. There was only 1. Us. I get what you're saying though. Excuse me for drinking the kool-aid.

Nobody cares or cared about Youngstown state and they were a 1-AA dynasty in the 90s. In fact, they beat Boise St for one of their titles. Which one has national relevance? I'm not even saying national relevance is the perfect dream to chase, I'm just saying that if that is the goal it will literally never be achieved in the FCS. Does that make the road trips and the games less fun? Not today, not one little bit. But people need to stop pretending that FCS is or will be a part of anything outside of a niche conversation nationally.

Kujava23
01-10-2013, 07:39 PM
Bison could certainly fill a stadium between 25k and 30k. I would do a bigger indoor stadium, but the likely hood of this happening in the next ten years is slim. It took forever to get the BSA updated. Of course, its already been investigated about expanding the FargoDome but I heard that might be relatively close to as expensive as just building a new facility--In a perfect world it would be nice if the university owned the facility and could completely customize the stadium to its personal use....but money talks.

NorthernBison
01-10-2013, 07:40 PM
I forgot about the nfl playoffs.

Actually, I completely forgot about the AFC game which started right after our game. I was goofing around waiting for the vikings/Packers game and remembered that there was a game on about the time the second half started.

Kermit
01-10-2013, 08:12 PM
Yessir strongman, I think Fargo-moorhead deserve FBS football, it would elevate msum as well.

Good one! That is pretty funny.

MNLonghorn10
01-10-2013, 08:19 PM
Actually, I completely forgot about the AFC game which started right after our game. I was goofing around waiting for the vikings/Packers game and remembered that there was a game on about the time the second half started.

So what now...had there been no afc game...the next solution for viewers is the fcs championship? lol

NorthernBison
01-10-2013, 08:23 PM
So what now...had there been no afc game...the next solution for viewers is the fcs championship? lol

Nope. I think the only people watching the FCS game will be fans of the teams playing and a select few uber FCS fans. You can put this game on ESPN or ESPN2 and it won't make a bit of difference.

jimmyptubas
01-10-2013, 08:36 PM
I might have watched if Georgia southern had beaten us. Or,I might have been too upset to even care.

adsfwerwfsfdsd
01-10-2013, 08:58 PM
Dominate everything FCS for years to come. And build baby, build.

CalBison97
01-10-2013, 11:45 PM
Looks like us anti-bowlers are finally being heard (or is it herd?!): http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20130110/college-football-bowl-system-changes/?sct=hp_t2_a6&eref=sihp

ndsubison1
01-10-2013, 11:46 PM

in an fbs playoff we would be the road team most likely every year

56BISON73
01-11-2013, 01:31 AM
Looks like us anti-bowlers are finally being heard (or is it herd?!): http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20130110/college-football-bowl-system-changes/?sct=hp_t2_a6&eref=sihp

Great read thanks!