PDA

View Full Version : Marcus Williams

tolnabison
01-07-2013, 02:27 AM
Staying in school. I don't think many were worried, but I seen some people talking about it on different sites.
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4554422

ndsansa
01-07-2013, 04:07 AM
Marcus is good and will play on Sunday eventually, but let's face it, only a small percentage of players leave school early for the NFL. Although that seems to be on the rise. If he was a guaranteed first round or high second round pick it would be different. Stay in school, get stronger and, get faster.

344Johnson
01-07-2013, 05:38 AM
Marcus is good and will play on Sunday eventually, but let's face it, only a small percentage of players leave school early for the NFL. Although that seems to be on the rise. If he was a guaranteed first round or high second round pick it would be different. Stay in school, get stronger and, get faster.

get better in man coverage.

westnodak93bison
01-07-2013, 11:17 AM
I thought he had a rough game. Obviously the 2 picks were nice.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Hammerhead
01-07-2013, 01:10 PM
Have any FCS players ever gone to the NFL early? If they did, my guess is they still wouldn't be an early round draft pick.

devin45k
01-07-2013, 01:12 PM

Took him a while to get his rythm. Once he did, he was great.

tolnabison
01-07-2013, 01:18 PM
Have any FCS players ever gone to the NFL early? If they did, my guess is they still wouldn't be an early round draft pick.

Taiwan Jones (RB) from EWU went the same year they beat us and won the title. This year Da'Rick Rodgers (WR that got kicked out of Tennessee the year before) from Tennessee Tech and Trabis Ward (RB) from Tennessee State have declared. Seems like every year there is a couple. Mainly guys that have transferred from FBS to FCS, play a year, and then declare.

THEsocalledfan
01-07-2013, 02:44 PM

It was interesting seeing him play against better receivers; suspect these were the best he's face this year. Yes, they caught some balls and got some penalties on him, but saying a corner had a "rough" game when he had two picks and did not give up a TD I think is a stretch.....

bisontown
01-07-2013, 06:58 PM

Wow, rough game? What does he need to do, have 4 picks and return 2 of them for TD's and then another kick return TD to have a good game? Haha, we are pretty spoiled if we call this a "rough game" from Marcus. Like was said before, he gave up zero TD's, zero "big plays" he did have a couple penalties, (one I thought was pretty iffy) and then the 2 picks. I call this a stellar game for most Dbacks.

DjKyRo
01-07-2013, 07:00 PM

SIU RB Jewel Hampton did it last year ('11-'12)

A1pigskin
01-07-2013, 07:05 PM
Marcus should stay in school to contribute to NDSU's next run for the Championship.

goalpost
01-07-2013, 07:26 PM
he needs to work on his one on one coverage alittle , one more year and he will be ready

semobison
01-07-2013, 07:41 PM
Wow, rough game? What does he need to do, have 4 picks and return 2 of them for TD's and then another kick return TD to have a good game? Haha, we are pretty spoiled if we call this a "rough game" from Marcus. Like was said before, he gave up zero TD's, zero "big plays" he did have a couple penalties, (one I thought was pretty iffy) and then the 2 picks. I call this a stellar game for most Dbacks.

He had a rough 1st 10 minutes, possibly because he was suprised to see throws coming his way! One thing about playing corner, it helps to have a short memory. Even the great ones get flagged or beat on occasion. What I was thinking when they were throwing at him early and he had a few mistakes was..I hope they keep going at Marcus becuse he is eventually going to get a pick. Well he got two! That being said, the best choice for him is to stay in school, and improve. Playing corner in the NFL is a scary business!

goalpost
01-07-2013, 07:44 PM
agreed!!!!!!

THEsocalledfan
01-07-2013, 08:37 PM
He had a rough 1st 10 minutes, possibly because he was suprised to see throws coming his way! One thing about playing corner, it helps to have a short memory. Even the great ones get flagged or beat on occasion. What I was thinking when they were throwing at him early and he had a few mistakes was..I hope they keep going at Marcus becuse he is eventually going to get a pick. Well he got two! That being said, the best choice for him is to stay in school, and improve. Playing corner in the NFL is a scary business!

We were chatting in the stand about how we HOPED they kept throwing at Marcus; that was a great game plan, Fritz.

(Got to love dumb coaches who watch one week of tape, and think they understand a team.)

unbison
01-07-2013, 08:40 PM
he needs to work on his one on one coverage alittle , one more year and he will be ready
Bison play zone almost always I think some of the issues were getting spread out and no help over the top

AjaxTheMighty
01-07-2013, 08:56 PM

Rough game. Interesting way to describe it. Marcus has set the bar so high that when he has an off game, it consists of one or two penalties and recievers getting a few catches. Ha! Not enough INTs I guess.

Comfortably Numb Bison
01-07-2013, 10:56 PM
I watched the game again today. Marcus stepped in front of the receiver on what I think was the second SHSu offensive play. He was about a half step behind, so honestly he was really close to 3 ints

westnodak93bison
01-09-2013, 01:13 AM
Rough game. Interesting way to describe it. Marcus has set the bar so high that when he has an off game, it consists of one or two penalties and recievers getting a few catches. Ha! Not enough INTs I guess.

I meant by his standards. Obviously he is a great player. In the early part of the game he got beat a few times which happens.

BisonTeacher
01-09-2013, 01:22 AM
Come on! Cut westnd some slack. Until he had the first pick we were all going whats wrong with marcus? Then he had the picks etc. But I dont believe most others werent thinking it.

BisonNation11
01-09-2013, 01:32 AM
I thought he was having a very bad game. I've never seen him look so foolish. Then something changed and he went beast mode. If the 2nd string QB throws the ball to the check down guy (sometime in the 2nd half), Marcus would have had 3 picks because he totally jumped the route. Almost got back in time to defend after the pump fake anyway.

Ndsu84
01-09-2013, 02:22 AM
I said to the guys around me when they were complaining about his lack of effort that Marcus thinks the game starts at 1 and when it does look out. Actually I believe that Marcus was playing/suckering the qb into throwing the ball and it just took a few plays to get right where he wanted to be. From our seats Marcus was looking like one of the worst corners around and instantly turned into the best.

56BISON73
01-09-2013, 02:25 AM
I thought he was having a very bad game. I've never seen him look so foolish. Then something changed and he went beast mode. If the 2nd string QB throws the ball to the check down guy (sometime in the 2nd half), Marcus would have had 3 picks because he totally jumped the route. Almost got back in time to defend after the pump fake anyway.

So you are saying that MW bit on the fake and got beat. Right :biggrin:

BisonNation11
01-09-2013, 02:41 AM
So you are saying that MW bit on the fake and got beat. Right :biggrin:

On this occasion, yes. Although if I remember correctly, he was the only defender over there, so he basically had double duty. Was really hoping for a pick-6 on that play.

bisoneer
01-09-2013, 02:49 AM
Early in the game he was giving too much on the down and outs IMO, but he sure put it into high gear and played great football after the 1st qrt. I even saw him putting some smack on SHSU players and that was cool!

BisonNation11
05-06-2013, 04:43 PM
I know it's a long ways away, but here's a projection from CBS Sports about next year's draft. They have MW at the 5th CB on the list to be drafted (potentially). Good news for MW is that 4 CB's and 3 S's were drafted in the first round this year. With a great season and hopeful combine/senior games, he could potentially be a first round draft pick... Have the Bison ever had a first round draft pick?

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2014/CB

Jay
05-06-2013, 04:47 PM
I know it's a long ways away, but here's a projection from CBS Sports about next year's draft. They have MW at the 5th CB on the list to be drafted (potentially). Good news for MW is that 4 CB's and 3 S's were drafted in the first round this year. With a great season and hopeful combine/senior games, he could potentially be a first round draft pick... Have the Bison ever had a first round draft pick?

That also is just seniors, so he'll drop when the ones declare early.

NorthernBison
05-06-2013, 04:51 PM

I don't know if we've ever had a first rounder.

Phil Hanson, Steve Nelson, and Stacy Robinson were all 2nd round picks. I think.

BisonNeil
05-06-2013, 05:56 PM

Sorry, but there is no way MWill will be a first round draft pick, unless he can all of a sudden learn how to tackle instead of shoulder bump and learn how to cover fly patterns. Those two parts of his game hurt his draft status, IMO.

MNLonghorn10
05-06-2013, 05:59 PM
first round pick? LOL

get a hold of yourself!

BisonNation11
05-06-2013, 06:10 PM
first round pick? LOL

get a hold of yourself!

I didn't say he would be, I said the potential is there. And neither one of us are the ones drafting people so you can't say someone won't take him first round. You have no idea what the next year will bring.

Mayville Bison
05-06-2013, 06:19 PM
Sorry, but there is no way MWill will be a first round draft pick, unless he can all of a sudden learn how to tackle instead of shoulder bump and learn how to cover fly patterns. Those two parts of his game hurt his draft status, IMO.

I originally thought he would be a much better ball-hawking safety rather then a cover corner, but those two weaknesses above pertain even more to safeties than corners. Marcus should be a 3rd round pick - if he has another good year, he could get to 2nd round, but 1st round is out of the question.

MNLonghorn10
05-06-2013, 06:47 PM
I didn't say he would be, I said the potential is there. And neither one of us are the ones drafting people so you can't say someone won't take him first round. You have no idea what the next year will bring.

Ill put money on it. You down?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

BisonNation11
05-06-2013, 06:49 PM
Ill put money on it. You down?

I'll put money on it he's not a first round pick.

ndsubison1
05-06-2013, 07:06 PM

he needs a phenominal phenominal season to be a first rounder. do well in an all star type game and also have a good combine. most likely. i could see him late 2nd round. 3rd round more likely. a lot could change next season so we'll see

Bison Dan
05-06-2013, 07:09 PM
he needs a phenominal phenominal season to be a first rounder. do well in an all star type game and also have a good combine. most likely. i could see him late 2nd round. 3rd round more likely. a lot could change next season so we'll seeHe'll have a good opportunity opening game against KS, as they have a stud WR. If he holds him down that'd we a good sign.

NorthernBison
05-06-2013, 07:12 PM
he needs a phenominal phenominal season to be a first rounder. do well in an all star type game and also have a good combine. most likely. i could see him late 2nd round. 3rd round more likely. a lot could change next season so we'll see

I'd tend to agree.

I once did a bit of research on corners in the draft. I say a little because I quit looking after finding out how variable the results were. From one year to the next, the College corners drafted vary widely in number and how high they go in the draft. Maybe I'm stating the obvious and it's true of all positions but it tells me that nobody knows from one year to the next.

thebigund
05-06-2013, 08:22 PM
He lacks the speed to be a first rounder. Good size, hands, ball skills, tackli.... nevermind, he's a good player but look at the quality of CBs getting drafted in the 1st let alone 2nd round. If he ran a 4.3 or low 4.4 he'd have a chance but he won't. And he plays in a conference that doesn't pass the ball very well, it's a running league.

bisonmike2
05-06-2013, 08:29 PM
He lacks the speed to be a first rounder. Good size, hands, ball skills, tackli.... nevermind, he's a good player but look at the quality of CBs getting drafted in the 1st let alone 2nd round. If he ran a 4.3 or low 4.4 he'd have a chance but he won't. And he plays in a conference that doesn't pass the ball very well, it's a running league.

If he only came from a school that had the reputation of churning out players who have "crazy" speed he might get a team to take a shot in the first or second round. And he plays in a conference that doesn't pass the ball very well? Well duh. They don't pass the ball very well because M-Will is so good he can cover multiple WR's across different games at the same time! :)

Mayville Bison
05-06-2013, 08:33 PM
If he only came from a school that had the reputation of churning out players who have "crazy" speed he might get a team to take a shot in the first or second round. And he plays in a conference that doesn't pass the ball very well? Well duh. They don't pass the ball very well because M-Will is so good he can cover multiple WR's across different games at the same time! :)

No truer words have ever been typed

BisonNeil
05-06-2013, 08:50 PM
This year the first FCS player taken was Robert Alford in the 2nd round, a CB out of SE Louisiana, about MWill's size, but very fast, a sub 4.4 forty. He was taken quite high despite have Crohns Disease.

The next CB came in the 4th round, BW Webb from William and Mary.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4588692

Herd
05-08-2013, 01:57 PM
His draft status will depend on:

NDSU history 10%
Post Season workouts 20%
Combine 30%
Senior Bowl 40%
K State performance - bonus

SlickVic
05-08-2013, 03:00 PM
Mwill is a 2 or 3 round pick lakes will be his agent vip at aqua every weekend yeah

imabison
05-08-2013, 03:02 PM

NDSU history 10%
Post Season workouts 20%
Combine 30%
Senior Bowl 40%

Plus the possibility of bonus appearances

Senior Bowl
North South Bowl
etc etc.

EndZoneQB
05-08-2013, 03:28 PM

NDSU history 10%
Post Season workouts 20%
Combine 30%
Senior Bowl 40%

I disagree. The K State performance counts a lot more than you think. What do all the scouts want to see from small school guys? They want to see the tape from their "big" games or games they play up in competition. We all know he's had good FBS games before(Minnesota, CSU) so he needs another one. It's his Senior year, a 2 TD game like the Gopher game will elevate his status. Any kid that is able to take over a (BCS) game from the CB spot will be HIGHLY valued.

stevdock
05-08-2013, 03:49 PM
I disagree. The K State performance counts a lot more than you think. What do all the scouts want to see from small school guys? They want to see the tape from their "big" games or games they play up in competition. We all know he's had good FBS games before(Minnesota, CSU) so he needs another one. It's his Senior year, a 2 TD game like the Gopher game will elevate his status. Any kid that is able to take over a (BCS) game from the CB spot will be HIGHLY valued.

Agreed. All the scouts will see a very good cover corner who is also a ball hawk from watching tape from the entire season, but put him against upper echelon talent and dominate and that will get him taken very early.

GOBISON123
05-09-2013, 01:49 PM
For Marcus Williams , from now on, every game and every second he is on the field counts. He has to make the best of it if he has to break through the glass barrier of FCS schools. It dont matter its FBS or whatever, he should be more sharper, more hungry and more cat like than ever. If he stay sharp of this 12-13 games then next year he will be a millionaire.

KSBisonFan
05-09-2013, 04:33 PM
For Marcus Williams , from now on, every game and every second he is on the field counts. He has to make the best of it if he has to break through the glass barrier of FCS schools. It dont matter its FBS or whatever, he should be more sharper, more hungry and more cat like than ever. If he stay sharp of this 12-13 games then next year he will be a millionaire.

^^^^ the bolded part......I think?

imabison
05-09-2013, 04:45 PM

Actually "This" is exactly what Coach Jerry Moore was speaking about during his visit to the NDSU football practice.
Not that I do not wish Marcus Williams the best, but they "all" need to keep their focus on playing Bison Football.

BisonNation11
05-09-2013, 04:54 PM

I would prefer if he played 15-17 games next season, thank you.