PDA

View Full Version : Vigen is a genius

roadwarrior
01-06-2013, 12:13 PM
Win championship. Save season.

BisoninNWMN
01-06-2013, 12:43 PM
Vigen called a great game.

He will probably get some sh** on here next year but IMO it is the style of offense we run. Ground and pound....nothing fancy.

Great game by offense - defense - special teams

Kevin
01-06-2013, 12:49 PM
The entire game was brilliantly called. The jump pass was the icing though. No one expected that.

IBleedYellow
01-06-2013, 01:12 PM
I just love when we ground and pound. I felt like most of the year we were passing too much. Vigen called it perfect today with more run vs 16 pass plays. Hurray.

Nexus 4

HerdBot
01-06-2013, 02:20 PM
best post of the year

bisonmike2
01-06-2013, 02:23 PM
I have given Vigen plenty of shit over the years but the guy calls pretty good games in the playoffs. He does a good job adding new wrinkles when they have extra time to prep. His play calling yesterday, probably his best game to date.

silkamilkamonico
01-06-2013, 02:33 PM
Vigen called a great game.

He will probably get some sh** on here next year but IMO it is the style of offense we run. Ground and pound....nothing fancy.

Great game by offense - defense - special teams

IMO this is the first game where he actually wanted to follow this mantra.

I would not be surprised if this was the first game in the last couple years where we lined up more out of power than out of shotgun. 45 runs and 17 passes. Someone needs to plaster that in the very front of his desk.

NorthernBison
01-06-2013, 02:38 PM
It's pretty obvious why he gets paid to do this and we have to find other jobs. Something to keep in mind.

Rynomite
01-06-2013, 02:45 PM
I have read some harsh critiques on Vigen this season. But the truth is, he is not at predictable as people think he is. Great calls on the game!

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
01-06-2013, 03:03 PM
Great play calling througout the playoffs. As one of the posters mentioned above, there is a reason he gets paid to do what he does and we are just fans.

With the being said, hey, its a message board. What else do we have to do between Saturdays. We're fricken knowitalls, just ask us. :)

BlueBisonRock
01-06-2013, 03:25 PM
His running the fullback on the first series showed that he reads Bisonville. That allows a Bisonville shout out to him.

Great Job Brent!

NDSU1980
01-06-2013, 03:57 PM
His running the fullback on the first series showed that he reads Bisonville. That allows a Bisonville shout out to him.

Great Job Brent! I actually burst out laughing on that first series when they handed off to Grothman. Figured he did that just to show us he lurks here. Too bad it didn't work, but at least all the play calling seemed to keep the Kats guessing a little.

North Side
01-06-2013, 03:58 PM
Can we save this thread to show to the hate mob that will form after we only win by 3 points in a game next season?

CAS4127
01-06-2013, 04:17 PM
Vigen did call a very good game. The Smith motion handoff/fake handoff ants timing of it was almost perfect. That was a new scheme and really made the motion side of there D honor both sides of field and opened up our overall running game. Some of the trick plays were called at the perfect time.

Oh, and I talked with mother of one of our Olineman, and yes, Bisonville gets read by players parents and some of the coaches. Not giving BV too much credit, but I don't think it hurt us to be critical of Vigen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rynomite
01-06-2013, 04:18 PM
Can we save this thread to show to the hate mob that will form after we only win by 3 points in a game next season?

Wish there was a "like" button

JSUBison
01-06-2013, 04:22 PM
I'm glad Vigen didn't use all of the tricks. We still have Billy Turner playing QB and returning punts in our playbook for next years game.

ndsansa
01-06-2013, 05:34 PM
Vigen is a good coordinator who is very unpredictable. It drives you nuts when he makes a call that flops and leaves you scratching your head and calling for his. When they work though we all praise him for being a genius. If the jump pass would have failed people on this board would have gone ballistic. Unpredictability is a good thing, but you have to take the good with the bad sometimes.

coloradobison
01-06-2013, 06:06 PM
The coaches clearly learned what didn't work last against SHSU and came up with a great gameplan to get to the outside. The timing of the playcalls was also pretty damn great, creative and using the talents of the players we have.

tony
01-06-2013, 06:18 PM
Football is about matchups. I disagree strongly with the idea that ndsu should always try to pound the ball 60% or more - exploit favorable matchups. sorry, silk, but you don't have a clue... And I know this because not having a clue is my specialty. Btw, how'd you geniuses like the handoff to the fb on 3rd and short... Must have been a dream come true. 😊
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

THEsocalledfan
01-06-2013, 06:32 PM
Vigen was brilliant yesterday. I loved the way he was attacking the edges.....they clearly saw something there (confirmed when I read the newspaper), and as CAS said, it made it harder to defend the middle. Also he pulled some great rabbits out of the hat. That Crockett pass was awesome, and you have to love those times when the sole problem for the back is not to overthrow the receiver......

CivilBison96
01-06-2013, 06:34 PM
I wonder if he doesn't intentionally go "vanilla" or away from the run game during the season just so that he can keep things off of film for the playoffs?

NorthernBison
01-06-2013, 06:38 PM
Football is about matchups. I disagree strongly with the idea that ndsu should always try to pound the ball 60% or more - exploit favorable matchups. sorry, silk, but you don't have a clue... And I know this because not having a clue is my specialty. Btw, how'd you geniuses like the handoff to the fb on 3rd and short... Must have been a dream come true. 

You're talking to people who have no clue what they are yapping about. No sense letting facts get in the way of a good bashing.

In 2012, the Bison threw the ball 357 times and ran it 641 times. That's 64% rushing attempts.

We gained 4.8 yards per rush attempt and 7.0 per pass attempt (11.4 per catch).

We excelled at time of possession and limiting turnovers. Yeah, we have a great defense with great numbers. The offense does what they are supposed to do. Control the game, move the ball, and don't give the other team a short field. Our special teams was very solid getting points from the kicking game and controlling field position. What we saw all year was a Bison team that was solid in all phases compared to our opponents. Nothing is ever perfect but we were closer than anybody else in the FCS.

AjaxTheMighty
01-06-2013, 06:42 PM
I have been as critical of Vigen as anyone and he called a gem yesterday! Add to that he calls plays for a team that is a 2-time national champion! What else can you ask for I guess?? I am just a fan that is all and admit gleefully that my criticism comes from my extensive experience and championships on Madden! So good job Mr. Vigen! Keep proving us wrong!

AjaxTheMighty
01-06-2013, 06:45 PM
I wonder if he doesn't intentionally go "vanilla" or away from the run game during the season just so that he can keep things off of film for the playoffs?

I think you are on to something here.

PaBizon
01-06-2013, 06:58 PM
Might be a couple Fire Vigen folks that should come apologigize and admit that they just might be w r o n g

NorthernBison
01-06-2013, 07:06 PM

Actually, the reverse is also true. There are a LOT of formations and individual plays that are run ONLY to get them ON FILM and force opponents to account for them. Other teams are looking at what we actually do but they also try using their imagination to figure out what we MIGHT do off a certain play option or formation. The goal is to load them up.

Another thing that happens is that plays get modified during the season. Something gets added or tweaked based on how defenses react. Sometimes it is as simple as how a defensive end reacts to a formation or fake. As fans, we watch the ball most of the time. There are coaches in the box who are not doing that. They are looking away from the ball to see how players are reacting.

If you're setting up a play, that is usually done early in the game. Run a variant, see how the defense reacts and you know what might work later. Usually, later has more than one possible play option. You're looking for the one that will work the best.

1998braves64
01-06-2013, 07:12 PM
Football is about matchups. I disagree strongly with the idea that ndsu should always try to pound the ball 60% or more - exploit favorable matchups. sorry, silk, but you don't have a clue... And I know this because not having a clue is my specialty. Btw, how'd you geniuses like the handoff to the fb on 3rd and short... Must have been a dream come true. 😊

Funny it was Grothmann too... since that was the one everyone has been contemplating should get it more. I completely missed it until Grothmann handed the ball to the ref. If I remember right we ended up punting on the next play?

I've put it down to Vigen opening just enough of the playbook in the regular season to win the games to get to the playoffs. Both years we've seen some of those dusty plays come out. If you watch some of those reverses etc you see they have other options that I don't think they've used that are available out of the some of the same formations. (Ie in SDSU game Wentz lined up at slot receiver?? and then in the GSU game I believe it was the same formation and brock threw to him ended up being somewhat blown as nobody was open and wentz ran for the first down. Again both years regular season was vanilla, very "predictable" but all the sudden postseason that predictablenss disappears, coaches in the playoffs have no idea what Vigen is possibly pulling out of his sleeve. Heck my HS coach had a whole boatload of trick plays that in the many years watching when I was in junior high and during games and after HS never saw him use them.

BisonTeacher
01-06-2013, 11:43 PM
Funny it was Grothmann too... since that was the one everyone has been contemplating should get it more. I completely missed it until Grothmann handed the ball to the ref. If I remember right we ended up punting on the next play?

I've put it down to Vigen opening just enough of the playbook in the regular season to win the games to get to the playoffs. Both years we've seen some of those dusty plays come out. If you watch some of those reverses etc you see they have other options that I don't think they've used that are available out of the some of the same formations. (Ie in SDSU game Wentz lined up at slot receiver?? and then in the GSU game I believe it was the same formation and brock threw to him ended up being somewhat blown as nobody was open and wentz ran for the first down. Again both years regular season was vanilla, very "predictable" but all the sudden postseason that predictablenss disappears, coaches in the playoffs have no idea what Vigen is possibly pulling out of his sleeve. Heck my HS coach had a whole boatload of trick plays that in the many years watching when I was in junior high and during games and after HS never saw him use them.

I have very openly criticized vigen in the past for those out routes and not running the ball enough. But I also posted many times hoping that he was being vanilla and saving something. We saw it yesterday. Very creative. Great job.

BlueBisonRock
01-07-2013, 04:49 AM
Football is about matchups. I disagree strongly with the idea that ndsu should always try to pound the ball 60% or more - exploit favorable matchups. sorry, silk, but you don't have a clue... And I know this because not having a clue is my specialty. Btw, how'd you geniuses like the handoff to the fb on 3rd and short... Must have been a dream come true. ��

I loved it Tony. The Bison were in Sammy's head with the revenge motivation. This simply provided one more distraction. Yes, I would love to have seen it go for a big gain, but that play like the Smith execution gave Sammy's D one more new 'thing' to think about.

stevdock
01-07-2013, 05:28 AM

No way a FB got the ball. Just ask ESPN it never happened on TV. If it doesn't happen on TV, it never existed ;)

56BISON73
01-07-2013, 05:48 AM
I actually burst out laughing on that first series when they handed off to Grothman. Figured he did that just to show us he lurks here. Too bad it didn't work, but at least all the play calling seemed to keep the Kats guessing a little.

When we saw that CAS and I both looked at each other and said---WTF????

westnodak93bison
01-07-2013, 11:09 AM
The coaches clearly learned what didn't work last against SHSU and came up with a great gameplan to get to the outside. The timing of the playcalls was also pretty damn great, creative and using the talents of the players we have.

I had been wishing for more outside runs all year!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

THEsocalledfan
01-07-2013, 02:31 PM
I had been wishing for more outside runs all year!

The key is to run, most of the time, what will be most successful against a give team. If it is inside, you run mainly inside with a few outside just keep them honest. Saturday was all about the edges.....one of my favorite plays, after nearly watching all the game on TV, was the "fake" double reverse. It is almost insult to injury for Sam Houstan when Crockett faked the double reverse, they just came right at them. Loved it!!!!

A1pigskin
01-08-2013, 01:23 AM
My favorite play was the Crockett pass.

BisonTeacher
01-08-2013, 01:25 AM
My favorite play was the Crockett pass.

It was aeesome. But i wondered why they called it on 3rd and 1

PaBizon
01-08-2013, 01:26 AM
It was aeesome. But i wondered why they called it on 3rd and 1

As did the defense

BisonTeacher
01-08-2013, 01:32 AM
As did the defense

Not what i meant yes it surprised them. But it looked like crockett paused as he hit the hole. Easily had the first down if he fell forward. Then callnit on first thr next set of downs. Gutsy call especially if it doesnt work.

NorthernBison
01-08-2013, 02:12 AM
Crockett said he couldn't see. Lineman too tall so he jumped in the air.

1998braves64
01-08-2013, 02:13 AM
Not what i meant yes it surprised them. But it looked like crockett paused as he hit the hole. Easily had the first down if he fell forward. Then callnit on first thr next set of downs. Gutsy call especially if it doesnt work.

he was still a yard shy of line of scrimmage or so he'd really have to stretch to get the first down, besides on a play call you're not thinking of other options, you just think of execution of the play the coach (QB) called as long as everything seems to be going as it should.

BisonNation11
01-08-2013, 03:25 AM

I think that was the perfect time to call that play. If he doesn't complete the pass, you have the option to go for it considering where we were field position wise. If he doesn't throw it, he still has the option to run it for the first down as it's only a yard to gain. Although he probably wouldn't have gotten it because he was hit very shortly after throwing it. Or thirdly, you could go for a long FG. Odds are I'd say if it didn't work, we would have went for it.

Snorty
01-08-2013, 05:28 AM
Extend vigen, save program

PaBizon
01-08-2013, 01:37 PM
Extend vigen, save program

Good Call!!!