PDA

View Full Version : Don't want to get ahead of things but.....

Gamehunter
11-18-2006, 03:00 AM
I have heard Bohl is the frontrunner for the Iowa position. This is rumor and I very much question its reliability, but needless to say I heard this tidbit and it does have me a bit worried. I have always thought this would be too early for Bohl to be considered for such a job but maybe not? :'( I am not at all worried about Bohl going to some MAC or even WAC team, but a Big Ten is probably the next step he is looking for if offered. We certainly can't compete with Big Ten salaries.

All I can say is that I hope this is a big fat lie. Bohl has the chance to turn this program into I-AA's most elite by 2008, I can't imagine trying to fill those kind of shoes.

kchats
11-18-2006, 03:16 AM
Is that Iowa State? *That would be quite a blow to the Bison program but there are qualified candidates that would love to have this job. *I think Iowa State will try for a bigger name hire than Coach Bohl. *The Michigan State coach is available and his overall record is good. *Joe Glenn would be a good hire too since he has coached in I-A.

http://iowastate.rivals.com/

Sounds like they have interviewed Nebraska offensive coordinator Jay Norvell and San Diego head coach Jim Harbaugh. *If they are interviewing Harbaugh I wouldn't be surprised if they don't interview Coach Bohl. *The bad news for Bison fans is Coach Bohl's season is done after the Bison beat the Jackrabbits tomorrow night. *Recruiting begins but without an opportunity for the playoffs there isn't anything to prevent them from interviewing him.

http://iowastate.scout.com/

You have to sign up for this one. I didn't.

CaBisonFan
11-18-2006, 03:20 AM
I have heard Bohl is the frontrunner for the Iowa position. *This is rumor and I very much question its reliability, but needless to say I heard this tidbit and it does have me a bit worried. *I have always thought this would be too early for Bohl to be considered for such a job but maybe not? * :'( *I am not at all worried about Bohl going to some MAC or even WAC team, but a Big Ten is probably the next step he is looking for if offered. *We certainly can't compete with Big Ten salaries.

All I can say is that I hope this is a big fat lie. *Bohl has the chance to turn this program into I-AA's most elite by 2008, I can't imagine trying to fill those kind of shoes.

Iowa would be one of the good Inflated Ten jobs. If he does go, I hope that one of the current assistants (or more) would stick around to be the head coach. Bohl's achievements are really remarkable....so I have no doubt that he can have a DI-A job somewhere, but he needs to be careful about where he goes. Iowa would be a good choice. I'd avoid Minnesota big-time. That's a burial ground for head coaches. The Inflated Ten jobs that I'd consider would be Ohio State, Michigan, Wisconsin, Penn State, and Iowa.....in no particular order. The others are pretty much stuck playing for a .500 finish in the conference each year....and trying to get to a 2nd or 3rd tier bowl game.

If Iowa truly calls...and offers big money...he's gone. Too bad. I hope that what you've heard isn't correct.

kchats
11-18-2006, 03:21 AM
Iowa State is in the Big XII.

tcbison
11-18-2006, 03:21 AM
I talked to a Iowa State fan the other day who is pretty well connected. He said right now they are talking about Jim Harbaugh and Central Michigan's coach. I asked him about Coach Bohl and he didn't hardly know who he was.

kchats
11-18-2006, 03:24 AM
Central Michigan's coach is Brian Kelly, I believe from Grand Valley State. *He is also in the running for Michigan State. *Just because a fan doesn't know who Coach Bohl is I guarantee you the administration knows him. *Heck they went against his defenses when he coached at Nebraska.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=149617

Who will Iowa State hire? It's anyone's guess at this point, as I'm told Pollard has just been gathering information on candidates. Again, the names I hear the most are LSU defensive coordinator Bo Pelini, Denver Broncos tight ends coach Tim Brewster, San Diego coach Jim Harbaugh, Central Michigan coach Brian Kelly and Nebraska defensive coordinator Jay Norvell. Many other names have been floated, but these seem to have the most weight to them.

sambini
11-18-2006, 05:40 AM
KCHATS Jay Norvell is the Nebraska offensive cordinator. Michigan State I heard wants a MSU man for the job. How many asst. coaches will we lose this year? We have 2 MSU alums on our staff. Could they go back home if the right guy gets hired there.

1bizon1
11-18-2006, 11:29 AM
It all falls under a catagory I call "the privilege of Suck!". When a school like NDSU has tradition in football, like they do!, people are constantly raiding the coaching cupboard. It's a privilege that sucks!

but......somehow, and thankfully!!! that cupboard keeps getting restocked.

Gully
11-18-2006, 12:13 PM
I've heard he's a finalist for the job coaching Miami of the SEC.....or maybe it was Penn State of the Big East.

I don't put much stock in rumors people express when they don't even realize what conference a particular school is in.

BisBison
11-18-2006, 02:11 PM
I've heard he's a finalist for the job coaching Miami of the SEC.....or maybe it was Penn State of the Big East. *

I don't put much stock in rumors people express when they don't even realize what conference a particular school is in.

Or even what shool has the opening ;)

Gamehunter
11-18-2006, 03:19 PM
exactly what I was thinking....I didn't think Iowa even had an opening ::)

hopefully Bohl holds out for something more than an Iowa State. I would say Bohl's stock is only going to rise significantly in the next few years....unfortunately just like Tim Miles.... :'(

sambini
11-18-2006, 03:56 PM
+++++++++++++++++++

Shakermaker
11-18-2006, 05:43 PM
I have heard Bohl is the frontrunner for the Iowa position. *This is rumor and I very much question its reliability, but needless to say I heard this tidbit and it does have me a bit worried. *I have always thought this would be too early for Bohl to be considered for such a job but maybe not? * :'( *I am not at all worried about Bohl going to some MAC or even WAC team, but a Big Ten is probably the next step he is looking for if offered. *We certainly can't compete with Big Ten salaries.

All I can say is that I hope this is a big fat lie. *Bohl has the chance to turn this program into I-AA's most elite by 2008, I can't imagine trying to fill those kind of shoes.

The same rumor is running around about Hauk over in Grizville. Rumors, the lot of them.

Jeffdaryl3rd
11-18-2006, 09:07 PM
I think that a good analogy for Bohl would be Jim Tressel at Ohio State. Tressel won four national titles at Youngstown State and then went and coached at a big-time 1-A program in the area. Now, Bohl might not have four national titles, but he definitely has done an outstanding job and I have to believe that when that is heaped on top of his tenure at Nebraska that he would be a major target for teams in the Midwest/Plains region looking for a coach. I hope he stays at least until he has had the chance to take a shot at the playoffs.