PDA

View Full Version : K State/Oregon

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
01-04-2013, 02:39 AM
Anyone watching K State/Oregon? Oregon is killing them with the hurry-up O. This will be a very interesting game for us next year.

Wally
01-04-2013, 03:03 AM
Wow....saw a 1 point safety.....can't say that I have ever seen that

ndsubison1
01-04-2013, 03:35 AM
i remember a one pt safety back in 04 between texas and a&m

GRAFTONBISON
01-04-2013, 03:40 AM
Can't wait to see our no huddle offense agains K-State next season.

IndyBison
01-04-2013, 03:46 AM
I don't remember ever seeing it either but I thought they missed it when they went to TV time out. Impressed when they came back from the commercial and Ron Cherry started with "We have an unusual ruling." Yes you did.

Here's another crazy part of the play. Let's say his original momentum carried him into the end zone after catching it at the 2. In that case there is a momentum exception that would not result in a safety.

Now let's say they returned that kick 98 yards for a TD. That would be 2 points for Kansas State!

I think the crew did miss an illegal forward pass when the original KSU runner threw the ball to his teammate. If he had caught the ball in the end zone or if we have the momentum exception you now have the B team committing a foul in the end zone. On a normal scrimmage play that would also result in a safety. But a foul by either team after a change of possession is declined by rule (except personal foul or unsportsmanlike conduct). If they had the illegal forward pass and then returned that for a TD the score would be nullified because of the foul.

Crazy stuff! Talked about often but rarely seen.

IndyBison
01-04-2013, 04:02 AM
The other classic part of this play was the announcement from Ron Cherry. He started by saying "We have an unusual ruling." This official is well known for another announcement several years ago. You may have seen this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6D8aAC4jrPM

TbonZach
01-04-2013, 04:39 AM
The other classic part of this play was the announcement from Ron Cherry. He started by saying "We have an unusual ruling." This official is well known for another announcement several years ago. You may have seen this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6D8aAC4jrPM

Hahaha! Classic! I had totally forgot about that!

Here's another version if anybody wants to see it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eslz06J9hFw

Or another great call with a reference to the above at the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeaUN6jfvzo

Hammersmith
01-04-2013, 11:10 PM
Indy, doesn't the coach have to inform the refs whether they plan to go for one or two before the play in college football? The reason I'm asking is because what if the defense blocks the kick and returns it to their opponent's endzone. That's also a single point play, correct? The only way it's two points is if the offense declares a 2pt conversion attempt, loses control of the ball in the field of play, and the defense recovers and runs it back to the far endzone. That's also why this play would've been a normal safety if it happened on a 2pt conversion attempt. Or am I totally wrong on this?

IndyBison
01-04-2013, 11:23 PM
Indy, doesn't the coach have to inform the refs whether they plan to go for one or two before the play in college football? The reason I'm asking is because what if the defense blocks the kick and returns it to their opponent's endzone. That's also a single point play, correct? The only way it's two points is if the offense declares a 2pt conversion attempt, loses control of the ball in the field of play, and the defense recovers and runs it back to the far endzone. That's also why this play would've been a normal safety if it happened on a 2pt conversion attempt. Or am I totally wrong on this?
No offense but you are totally wrong. These are the different ways either team can score on a try:

TD - 2 points
Safety - 1 point
Place kick - 1 point (A only)

If KSU would have returned that kick for a TD it would have been 2 points for them. If KSU fumbled the ball in the end zone and Oregon recovered, they would have scored 2 points.

HS rules are different. The ball is dead as soon as it's obvious the try will be no good.

Hammersmith
01-04-2013, 11:32 PM
No offense but you are totally wrong. These are the different ways either team can score on a try:

TD - 2 points
Safety - 1 point
Place kick - 1 point (A only)

If KSU would have returned that kick for a TD it would have been 2 points for them. If KSU fumbled the ball in the end zone and Oregon recovered, they would have scored 2 points.

HS rules are different. The ball is dead as soon as it's obvious the try will be no good.
Cool, that's why I asked. I could've sworn I heard an announcer saying some years ago that the coach had to let the officials know what they were planning, but I couldn't remember the context(pro/college/other). Add on top of that that the rule could be outdated or the announcer could've had his head in rectal defilade, and I was mucho confused. Thanks for clearing it up.

IndyBison
01-04-2013, 11:37 PM
Cool, that's why I asked. I could've sworn I heard an announcer saying some years ago that the coach had to let the officials know what they were planning, but I couldn't remember the context(pro/college/other). Add on top of that that the rule could be outdated or the announcer could've had his head in rectal defilade, and I was mucho confused. Thanks for clearing it up.
I would bet money the announcers were wrong and caused your confusion. I had no idea how little they knew about the rules until I started to learn the rules. It's annoying to watch games and hear what they are telling fans. I like that more and more broadcasts are bringing officials into the booth to clarify rulings.

Gully
01-05-2013, 03:45 AM
LOL, giving him the business. That was a classic.

On another note..Frisco/Plano is a complete shitshow. The party dwarfs last year.

North Side
01-05-2013, 04:14 AM
Any chance K state will be ranked when we play them to start the season?

goldenshower
01-05-2013, 07:29 PM
Any chance K state will be ranked when we play them to start the season?

I really doubt they will be ranked. Very good chance ndsu wins that game I believe they graduate at least 7 on offense including Klein, then on defense they graduate 5 I believe I heard. I would bet the farm for ndsu to cover next year with the team you guys bring back