PDA

View Full Version : Brock Jenson Game winning Drive against GSU

kab1one
01-02-2013, 04:37 PM
I was thinking about this. Where will that drive be remembered in Bison lore?

Obviously there is the "Pitch" but that a great play and I don't know how close that game was.

If you think about, Denver has the drive with Elway, San Fran "the Catch", Pittsburgh the "immacilate reception".

At the start of the final drive with 6 minutes left, my buddy texted and asked what I thought. I responded this is how legends are made and talked about for generations.

When Brock scored, I texted "Legendary",

So what are other great plays / drives and where will this one fall when its said and done.

My thought. Top 3, I don't know what the other two would be, but this one has to be up there.

56BISON73
01-02-2013, 04:43 PM
I was thinking about this. Where will that drive be remembered in Bison lore?

Obviously there is the "Pitch" but that a great play and I don't know how close that game was.

If you think about, Denver has the drive with Elway, San Fran "the Catch", Pittsburgh the "immacilate reception".

At the start of the final drive with 6 minutes left, my buddy texted and asked what I thought. I responded this is how legends are made and talked about for generations.

When Brock scored, I texted "Legendary",

So what are other great plays / drives and where will this one fall when its said and done.

My thought. Top 3, I don't know what the other two would be, but this one has to be up there.

Donny Seiversons naked bootleg to beat UND 1972. Steve Walkers pass to beat SHSU in the final seconds. The pitch. Tony Satters run. Just to name a few.

Professor Chaos
01-02-2013, 05:37 PM
The 4th down play was an iconic play but the drive itself was not. 3 personal fouls (although one was after the TD was scored) by GSU on that drive kind of takes the climactic build-up out of it.

CalBison97
01-02-2013, 05:38 PM
Donny Seiversons naked bootleg to beat UND 1972. Steve Walkers pass to beat SHSU in the final seconds. The pitch. Tony Satters run. Just to name a few.

Witnessing Walker to Heckendorf's 80-yard bomb to cap an improbable 4th Qtr comeback against Cal Poly is in my top 3.

SafeTeeJ
01-02-2013, 05:45 PM
the 4 play goaline stand against PSU in the 88' Natty

CAS might remember that one.

CaBisonFan
01-02-2013, 05:55 PM

I remember Donny's bootleg very well. Was standing right where it happened. We you blocking for him then?

THEsocalledfan
01-02-2013, 06:05 PM
We had this discussion a bit as part of another thread. Considering the stakes, I think that drive is at, or near the top. It was completely clutch even with the personal fouls. The drama of that 4th down play is something I will never forget, and I still get nervous even thinking about it.....

It was like the exact opposite of the failed Pitt St. two point conversion in 1992. It was so very sweet, particularly when it came out GSU knew it was coming.

tony
01-02-2013, 06:14 PM
Going with Brock's fourth down run... nice team effort on that one.

BTW, there were only two penalties on that drive one on NDSU and one on GSU for a net gain of 3 yards for NDSU.

N 1-10 N47 NORTH DAKOTA STATE drive start at 05:49.
N 1-10 N47 Jensen,Brock rush for 23 yards to the GSU30, 1ST DOWN NDSU (L. Westbrooks), PENALTY NDSU holding (Okland,Andrew) 10 yards to the GSU40.
N 1-20 G40 1st and 10.
N 1-10 G40 Crockett,John rush for 5 yards to the GSU35 (D. Stanley).
N 2-5 G35 Jensen,Brock rush for 10 yards to the GSU25, 1ST DOWN NDSU (B. Russell).
N 1-10 G25 PENALTY GSU roughing passer (B. Russell) 13 yards to the GSU12, 1ST DOWN NDSU.
N 1-10 G12 Jensen,Brock rush for 2 yards to the GSU10 (J. Stevenson;D. Eubanks).
N 2-8 G10 Jensen,Brock pass incomplete to Okland,Andrew, QB hurry by J. Mention.
N 3-8 G10 Jensen,Brock rush for 5 yards to the GSU5, out-of-bounds (D. Eubanks).
N 4-3 G05 Jensen,Brock rush for 5 yards to the GSU0, 1ST DOWN NDSU, TOUCHDOWN, clock 03:05.
Keller,Adam kick attempt good.

Drive of 53 yards.
Brock: 5 rushes for 45 yards.
Crockett: 1 rush for 5 yards
Penalties: holding on Okland -10 yards, Roughing the passer on Russel +13 yards.

CaBisonFan
01-02-2013, 06:14 PM
I think that the Immaculate Pitch still ranks at the top. It was in a very close playoff game at USD. Broke their backs.

EndZoneQB
01-02-2013, 06:19 PM
the 4 play goaline stand against PSU in the 88' Natty

CAS might remember that one.

I doubt it. He lost his memory after the first quarter.

56BISON73
01-02-2013, 06:23 PM
I remember Donny's bootleg very well. Was standing right where it happened. We you blocking for him then?

Red shirt that year. Was in the stands. Sitting out a year really sucked.

CaBisonFan
01-02-2013, 06:33 PM
Red shirt that year. Was in the stands. Sitting out a year really sucked.

I believe that UND was ranked #1 when we beat them. Is that correct?

I'd put this play in my top 5 for sure.

Beating UND in GF under those circumstances...Donny with a gimpy leg...and the way that we came back...so, so sweet.

bisonaudit
01-02-2013, 06:35 PM
Going with Brock's fourth down run... nice team effort on that one.

BTW, there were only two penalties on that drive one on NDSU and one on GSU for a net gain of 3 yards for NDSU.

Drive was book ended by personal foul penalties on the GSU punt cover team that advanced the ball from the 32 to the 47 and Russell's personal foul which was assessed on the kickoff.

CaBisonFan
01-02-2013, 06:40 PM
I'd vote for 'the Drive' against GSU to be in the top 2 or 3 because of the circumstances. There was absolutely no room for error. A fumble, interception, or a bad penalty would have ended the game.

Would like to add Tyrone Braxton's punt (kick?) returns in consecutive national championship games to the list. Both set the tone for a Bison romp.

The fake punt against SHSU last year...and the screen pass to DJ were huge.

BisonFan02
01-02-2013, 06:41 PM
Drive was book ended by personal foul penalties on the GSU punt cover team that advanced the ball from the 32 to the 47 and Russell's personal foul which was assessed on the kickoff.

GSU - Personal Foul on Punt
NDSU - Holding on Okland
GSU - Personal Foul, roughing passer on Russell
GSU - Personal Foul on Russell on 4th down play...assessed on kickoff.

BisonNation11
01-02-2013, 06:54 PM
Not really a fan favorite, but I personally like the INT by Pike last year near the end of the natty. It allowed us to burn up enough of the clock and seeing Wilson's smile on the sidelines in the highlight video really puts it up there for me. My top moment would be the drive with Walker and Heckendorf against SHSU in the Dome. I was on the 40 next to the student section and despite half the Dome being empty, it was one of the most explosive crowd moments I've ever experienced. I literally could not believe me eyes!

AjaxTheMighty
01-02-2013, 07:11 PM
Not really a fan favorite, but I personally like the INT by Pike last year near the end of the natty. It allowed us to burn up enough of the clock and seeing Wilson's smile on the sidelines in the highlight video really puts it up there for me. My top moment would be the drive with Walker and Heckendorf against SHSU in the Dome. I was on the 40 next to the student section and despite half the Dome being empty, it was one of the most explosive crowd moments I've ever experienced. I literally could not believe me eyes!

Steve Walker himself was a legend! Heckendorf was awesome too. We need another Heckendorf someday soon! Maybe one of our guys will turn into that, but he knew how to be in the right places at the right times. I think there is a high probability that we have another NC if NDSU is playoff eligible those years. SHSU - two of exactly the same throws in the same exact places on the field and we score. An amazing, amazing game, second only to the GSU game, which easily took 5 years off of my life!
Cal Poly was stunning. How did they let that happen??? Walker magic again.