PDA

View Full Version : Running into the punter

Tatanka
01-01-2013, 11:35 PM
Thought there wasn't a five yard penalty in college for running into the punter. Sconie punter got absolutely destroyed and they called a five yard penalty for running into the punter. Stanford player full on hit him, took out both legs, five yards. Wtf?

MNLonghorn10
01-01-2013, 11:35 PM
thought that too...bucky's punter got a cross body while GSU's got nicked on the leg

Gully
01-01-2013, 11:36 PM
That was a bad call IMO.

No_Skill
01-01-2013, 11:43 PM
Agreed bad call

Herd
01-01-2013, 11:49 PM
Bucky's was a 15 for sure, and ours was more of a 5 . . . but it's all about the stripes.

NorthernBison
01-01-2013, 11:50 PM
The Zebra must have a bet on the game. No way is he naturally that incompetent. I don't even care who wins but that was textbook roughing. Not even debatable.

roadwarrior
01-01-2013, 11:56 PM
Indy? Where r u?

NorthernBison
01-01-2013, 11:58 PM
Oh God. Before Indy freaks, I need to clarify that my bet comment was a joke.

The punter screwed up. He should have rolled around screaming like he blew his ACL and he would have got 15 for sure.

Gully
01-02-2013, 12:00 AM
I wonder if Indy saw the measurement in the Michigan / South Carolina game. Spurier couldn't believe it....I couldn't either. It appeared to be clearly short. I'm wondering if there is a good explanation.

SamsRams
01-02-2013, 12:40 AM
Bucky's was a 15 for sure, and ours was more of a 5 . . . but it's all about the stripes.

unwritten rule has always been if you hit his legs it is 15

Bison bison
01-02-2013, 12:45 AM
Alvarez should have had my wife's cousin in for more than two plays...

gizmo
01-02-2013, 12:13 PM
Super slow motion replay and numerous camera angles show how many close calls there actually are in football games. The refs do a good job of getting it right most of the time but they are human.

The refs alter game outcomes more by what they don't call. Whenever I hear a tv game analyst say "They're letting them play", you know the refs are slackers. Example: Matt Millen in last night's FSU-UNI game.

IndyBison
01-02-2013, 01:44 PM
Not sure why he ruled running g into rather than roughing. I haven't worked enough at R but I believe any displacement involving the legs is roughing. I'm guessing he either had contact at the waist or some level of flopping by the Kickers.

The measurement was a cluster. There have been times when broadcasters were critical and pictures show it short but the angle was not straight. This looked short to me. Mechanically they should have brought the chains in on the other side of the ball and there should not have been that many people around the ball.

#1BISONFAN ASHLEY
01-02-2013, 01:44 PM
On a punt, if a player from the receiving team runs into the kicker while his leg is still in the air, then a running into the kicker penalty is called. This is a five yard penalty. If a player who runs into the punter is deemed to be deliberately running into the kicker, a "roughing the kicker" penalty is called. This is a fifteen yard penalty and an automatic first down.

http://www.footballbabble.com/football/penalties/

IndyBison
01-02-2013, 01:58 PM
On a punt, if a player from the receiving team runs into the kicker while his leg is still in the air, then a running into the kicker penalty is called. This is a five yard penalty. If a player who runs into the punter is deemed to be deliberately running into the kicker, a "roughing the kicker" penalty is called. This is a fifteen yard penalty and an automatic first down.

http://www.footballbabble.com/football/penalties/

The only thing I'll say about that article is don't believe any of it. I found so many errors at quick glance. No such thing as "illegal procedure". Intrreference is a 15-yard penalty in college (or spot if it occurs inside 15 yards). Chop blocks are usually not intentional. This is so bad it is funny.

Gully
01-02-2013, 02:03 PM
I'm telling you Indy, there just might be a market for an officials rules blog. I'll be your first customer :)

moosbah
01-02-2013, 02:19 PM
Thought there wasn't a five yard penalty in college for running into the punter. Sconie punter got absolutely destroyed and they called a five yard penalty for running into the punter. Stanford player full on hit him, took out both legs, five yards. Wtf?

I'm hitting the game with Tate Moser. If I run into him do I get penalized?

IndyBison
01-03-2013, 07:58 PM
Most of the officials I've talked to about this play said it should have been roughing. The other item for debate was if the protector blocked the defender into the kicker. If this was the case there is no foul at all. I don't see any way this is running into the kicker.

http://youtu.be/tBzcsRe5k9Q