PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky, No Conference Championship Game

riceweb
12-28-2012, 08:07 PM
I'm surprised that the 13-member Big Sky conference doesn't have a championship game. Couldn't they end up with two teams that go undefeated since they wouldn't necessarily play each other in the regular season? It just seems odd that they wouldn't set up divisions like the MAC and host a CCG. Is it just that the FCS doesn't do CCGs? Maybe not enough time to schedule one since the playoffs start immediately after the regular season?

Ross
12-28-2012, 08:43 PM
The thing is, that if that does happen, both teams will be in the playoffs anyways. The Big Fluffy will probably have co-champions most years.

Hambone
12-28-2012, 08:55 PM
I'm surprised that the 13-member Big Sky conference doesn't have a championship game. Couldn't they end up with two teams that go undefeated since they wouldn't necessarily play each other in the regular season? It just seems odd that they wouldn't set up divisions like the MAC and host a CCG. Is it just that the FCS doesn't do CCGs? Maybe not enough time to schedule one since the playoffs start immediately after the regular season?

I believe that a CCG would disqualify the teams from the post season. I could be wrong, but I thought that was the reason.

TransAmBison
12-28-2012, 09:00 PM
They already played it...and the winner was Sam Houston.

Hammersmith
12-28-2012, 09:54 PM
I believe that a CCG would disqualify the teams from the post season. I could be wrong, but I thought that was the reason.
They could do it, but they'd have to get tricky with conference scheduling. To squeeze in a CCG and still qualify for the playoffs, the CCG would have to occur on the final weekend of the regular season. That means every conference team would have to agree to keep that weekend open as a bye. Not likely to happen. If there were to be a push for it, it would probably come with a proposal to also push back the playoffs one weekend. I suppose it could happen if the SWAC decided they wanted the playoffs, the CAA got back to its old numbers, the BSC wanted a CCG, and at least one other conference(MVFC?) made it to 12 teams. Otherwise I don't see it happening.

17.9.5.2 Annual Exemptions. [FBS/FCS] The maximum number of football contests shall exclude the following:
(c) Twelve-Member Conference Championship Game. [FBS/FCS] A conference championship game between division champions of a member conference of 12 or more institutions that is divided into two divisions (of six or more institutions each), each of which conducts round-robin, regular-season competition among the members of that division;
(d) Championship Subdivision Conference Tournament. [FCS] A conference-sponsored, season-ending postseason tournament (one between teams that are not identified until the end of the preceding regular season), not to exceed one contest for any member institution. This provision does not preclude an institution from participating in a conference-sponsored season-ending postseason tournament and additional postseason football opportunities (e.g., NCAA Championship, Heritage Bowl) during the same season;

EndZoneQB
12-28-2012, 10:29 PM
And it doesn't really matter for FCS who the champion is in the conference.