PDA

View Full Version : Next year Bison opponents

Bison"FANatic"
12-26-2012, 03:17 PM
While we still have football to play and things to take care of this year. The rest of the MVFC is focusing on next year and a couple interesting things going on.

There is talk on the ISU Blue board that Shakir Bell will may declare for the draft

ISU Red picked up a 260 lb Juco Running back. If the kid has talent, that is a load to bring down.

1bizon1
12-26-2012, 03:23 PM
260 lb running back?! I have been saying that "we" need another Tyler Roehl type back. This type of player is RARE! but.... at times this year it would have been a VERY good asset.

KTF
12-26-2012, 03:24 PM
ISU Red losing their QB is going to be tough for them to overcome. I have no idea what they have in the wings.

Bison 4 Life
12-26-2012, 03:30 PM
While we still have football to play and things to take care of this year. The rest of the MVFC is focusing on next year and a couple interesting things going on.

There is talk on the ISU Blue board that Shakir Bell will may declare for the draft

ISU Red picked up a 260 lb Juco Running back. If the kid has talent, that is a load to bring down.

If he did, he needs someone to take his newspaper clippings away. While there are some, there aren't a lot of 5'8" 185 lb running backs in the NFL. Even Adrian Peterson didn't declare early.

Mr. Burgundy
12-26-2012, 04:03 PM
The JUCO RB is a rare talent. I expect him to come in and do quite well. he was contacted by Tennessee last week but said no thanks as he was happy with his choice. He actually signed as JUCO signing day was last week.

CaBisonFan
12-26-2012, 04:24 PM
260 lb running back?! I have been saying that "we" need another Tyler Roehl type back. This type of player is RARE! but.... at times this year it would have been a VERY good asset.We have two of them. Grothmann and Bonnet. They never get the ball.

bisonhp330
12-26-2012, 04:41 PM
we have two of them. Grothmann and bonnet. They never get the ball.

amen!!!!!!

heffray
12-26-2012, 04:46 PM
We have two of them. Grothmann and Bonnet. They never get the ball.

Can we please start another thread about the fullback hand-off, or lackthereof, in the Bison O-ffense? Because that would be just awesome...

AjaxTheMighty
12-26-2012, 04:52 PM
Whoa here guys! This looking ahead is not helpful for our football team. Now pull it together and take it one game at a time! If we, the fans, overlook SHSU we decrease the chances of yet another Bison NC. According to all the robust research out there on fans attitudes we conclusively know the fans attitude most definitely affect the outcome of games. Come on!

heffray
12-26-2012, 04:55 PM
Whoa here guys! This looking ahead is not helpful for our football team. Now pull it together and take it one game at a time! If we, the fans, overlook SHSU we decrease the chances of yet another Bison NC. According to all the robust research out there on fans attitudes we conclusively know the fans attitude most definitely affect the outcome of games. Come on!

Also, if we are REALLY careful, the Strib and Forum might pick this up and make BIG HEADLINES out of it... I can see it now:

Bison Fans Not Taking Sam Houston Seriously, Not Complaining Enough About Thread Drift

CaBisonFan
12-26-2012, 05:02 PM
Can we please start another thread about the fullback hand-off, or lackthereof, in the Bison O-ffense? Because that would be just awesome...Just stating a fact.

BisonNation11
12-26-2012, 05:04 PM
260 lb running back?! I have been saying that "we" need another Tyler Roehl type back. This type of player is RARE! but.... at times this year it would have been a VERY good asset.

Look how well it worked for Wofford... BRING IT!!!

td577
12-26-2012, 05:19 PM
I think Bell might have made that decision after the Ndsu game. That was one of the worse beat downs on a single player I have seen in a long while. He touched the ball nearly 30 times that game and was gang mauled on every carry. At least in the NFL, gang tackling is a little less common. Most defenders are good enough to take a Bell down one on one.

I have had the opinion that while guys get pounded on Sundays, it is more a one on one pounding. On Saturdays, Bell is good enough to require multiple hits to bring down and on that lone Saturday in October, he was getting destroyed on every carry from multiple angles. If it wasn't for an ISU win, I would almost felt bad for him.

Lastly, I am not saying he is going to even make a nfl roster, but his game might be better suited for the pro level. His options are to possibly get paid to contribute within a system or to carry the rock 350 times next year being one hit away from zero chance to play on Sundays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bisonhp330
12-26-2012, 06:34 PM
Can we please start another thread about the fullback hand-off, or lackthereof, in the Bison O-ffense? Because that would be just awesome...

how about we start a thread just for you....so you can talk about exactly what you want. Everyone promises to pat you on the back, give you a hug and tell you your ideas are the only one the matters. After all....isn't that what a forum is all about?

http://i47.tinypic.com/258o4jp.jpg

Bison"FANatic"
12-26-2012, 06:43 PM
I think Bell might have made that decision after the Ndsu game. That was one of the worse beat downs on a single player I have seen in a long while. He touched the ball nearly 30 times that game and was gang mauled on every carry. At least in the NFL, gang tackling is a little less common. Most defenders are good enough to take a Bell down one on one.

I have had the opinion that while guys get pounded on Sundays, it is more a one on one pounding. On Saturdays, Bell is good enough to require multiple hits to bring down and on that lone Saturday in October, he was getting destroyed on every carry from multiple angles. If it wasn't for an ISU win, I would almost felt bad for him.

Lastly, I am not saying he is going to even make a nfl roster, but his game might be better suited for the pro level. His options are to possibly get paid to contribute within a system or to carry the rock 350 times next year being one hit away from zero chance to play on Sundays.

The kid got the crap beat out of him week after week. The coaching change may be the best thing to ever happen to him. I lost a ton of respect for the ISU coaching staff after watching how they treated him the last few years. I don't know if Bell can handle the next level but at least they will take concussions seriously. He couldn't walk a straight line and staggered like a drunk back to the sideline and his coaches knew it and sent him back out there.

Hammerhead
12-26-2012, 06:46 PM
I think he's "only" 240 lbs. There are some links to youtube highlights at http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?126201-Illinois-State-football-fans. I think he's the biggest player on the field in most of those highlights.

aces1180
12-26-2012, 06:51 PM
I think he's "only" 240 lbs. There are some links to youtube highlights at http://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?126201-Illinois-State-football-fans. I think he's the biggest player on the field in most of those highlights.

He looks super slow...Eh.

IndyBison
12-26-2012, 07:03 PM
The kid got the crap beat out of him week after week. The coaching change may be the best thing to ever happen to him. I lost a ton of respect for the ISU coaching staff after watching how they treated him the last few years. I don't know if Bell can handle the next level but at least they will take concussions seriously. He couldn't walk a straight line and staggered like a drunk back to the sideline and his coaches knew it and sent him back out there.
I saw him get helped off the field several times in the HS state championship thinking he was done only to come back and play more. He helped will his team into an incredible overtime win. He's a tough runner for a small guy. That probably isn't good for his long-term career but I think it's the way he plays. Not sure what his NFL prospects are but he's been considered too small but succeeded where he's been so far so I wouldn't count him out.

ndsubison1
12-26-2012, 08:18 PM

bell did pretty well in the 2nd half against us. he broke many tackles and moved the chains to help shakir their win

heffray
12-27-2012, 12:55 AM
how about we start a thread just for you....so you can talk about exactly what you want. Everyone promises to pat you on the back, give you a hug and tell you your ideas are the only one the matters. After all....isn't that what a forum is all about?

http://i47.tinypic.com/258o4jp.jpg

I can't get over how incredibly ironic your post is. Thanks, dude.

BlueBisonRock
12-27-2012, 01:37 AM
I can't get over how incredibly ironic your post is. Thanks, dude.

Since there are times when I 'may' be driving up I-29 and slightly exceeding the posted limit, I will state that HP330's post was right on the money and his idea hits mark. With that, I guess I also owe you a http://www.animateit.net/data/media/july2012/inbed3uw82sh7lx4pu2.gif

HandoEX
12-27-2012, 02:50 AM
Maybe I am crazy, but that RB looked like he wasn't close to 4.5 speed.

heffray
12-27-2012, 12:44 PM
Since there are times when I 'may' be driving up I-29 and slightly exceeding the posted limit, I will state that HP330's post was right on the money and his idea hits mark. With that, I guess I also owe you a http://www.animateit.net/data/media/july2012/inbed3uw82sh7lx4pu2.gif

Aw... Ok, BBR, HP... Bring it in, guys.

heffray
12-27-2012, 10:05 PM

Wait a minute, is that an ironic hug?!

Bison"FANatic"
01-08-2013, 03:15 PM
Looks like Shakir Bell has made the right decision and is not going to try and turn Pro.

highplainsbison
01-08-2013, 03:39 PM
Maybe I am crazy, but that RB looked like he wasn't close to 4.5 speed.
Was thinking the same thing.

southcliffbison
01-08-2013, 04:30 PM
We have two of them. Grothmann and Bonnet. They never get the ball.

Exactly my thoughts, also.

SafeTeeJ
01-08-2013, 04:47 PM
regarding the KSU game. Any word on what time of day the game would start? noon? 3? 7?

westnodak93bison
01-08-2013, 05:10 PM
Obviously K-State will be a different team next year but if we played them this weekend Sagarin says we would be nearly 2 touchdown dogs. That is gonna be a hell of a challenge.

stevdock
01-08-2013, 05:22 PM
regarding the KSU game. Any word on what time of day the game would start? noon? 3? 7?

I'm hoping for a night game myself. This last season KSU opened the season with Missouri State and that game was a 6 pm start time.

SafeTeeJ
01-08-2013, 05:25 PM
I'm hoping for a night game myself. This last season KSU opened the season with Missouri State and that game was a 6 pm start time.

me too! the night game would give me more time to get down to the game with the family.

344Johnson
01-08-2013, 05:29 PM
Regarding K-State, I have read many people say that their hotels and such are already mostly booked. How bad of a drive would it be to stay in a neighboring town?

HandoEX
01-08-2013, 07:08 PM
Regarding K-State, I have read many people say that their hotels and such are already mostly booked. How bad of a drive would it be to stay in a neighboring town?
Did you bother to look? There are plenty of rooms available in Manhattan for the Bison weekend.

SamsRams
01-08-2013, 11:00 PM
Looks like Shakir Bell has made the right decision and is not going to try and turn Pro.

Team will be worse with Sanford

td577
01-09-2013, 02:12 AM

Poor kid is going to be taken off the field on a stretcher before the halfway point of the season. This would be one case where I would say a guy has a chance to save his body by declaring now.

MankatoBison
01-09-2013, 05:08 AM
Not sure if this has been said on this thread yet, and I sincerely apologize if it has been, but I watched one of Izzos video blogs yesterday and he was talking about how Western Carolina wasnt going to come up... and then he said that UND also has that date open and I BELIEVE they share a date later in the season with us somehow, but I could have just misunderstood that too. They sounded like they thought there was at least a chance we could face UND next year.. but then again, theyre just talking heads.. I for one would love to see this next year and I know there are some who disagree with me, but I got excited that this game has a CHANCE (all be it, a very very small one) of being played next season.

SamsRams
01-09-2013, 05:44 AM
Not sure if this has been said on this thread yet, and I sincerely apologize if it has been, but I watched one of Izzos video blogs yesterday and he was talking about how Western Carolina wasnt going to come up... and then he said that UND also has that date open and I BELIEVE they share a date later in the season with us somehow, but I could have just misunderstood that too. They sounded like they thought there was at least a chance we could face UND next year.. but then again, theyre just talking heads.. I for one would love to see this next year and I know there are some who disagree with me, but I got excited that this game has a CHANCE (all be it, a very very small one) of being played next season.

Bisonville had this info over 2 months ago. you should not apologize to us but to yourself for following the 2nd place to get bison news (bmb) instead of here, the go to place for bison news.

NDSU1980
01-09-2013, 02:02 PM
According to Kolpack, Gene states flat out we aren't going to play them. At least Gene hasn't lost his common sense.
http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/385815/

aces1180
01-09-2013, 02:04 PM
Bisonville had this info over 2 months ago. you should not apologize to us but to yourself for following the 2nd place to get bison news (bmb) instead of here, the go to place for bison news.

Actually, it was first reported on AGS...

spelunker64
01-09-2013, 02:27 PM
Did you bother to look? There are plenty of rooms available in Manhattan for the Bison weekend.

Very little or no double bed rooms, for those of us roadtripping and not looking to spoon with buddies. There are a bunch of rooms in neighboring towns (16-20 miles) which isn't bad. I did get a double room at the Super 8 for $169, kinda crazy

Bison 4 Life
01-09-2013, 02:35 PM
According to Kolpack, Gene states flat out we aren't going to play them. At least Gene hasn't lost his common sense.
http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/385815/

I will never understand the justification for this.

westnodak93bison
01-09-2013, 02:37 PM

Easy. They suck and why should we do them any favors? Plus, why play two Big Sky Teams in one year and why give them a home-home when their facility sucks.

BisonNation11
01-09-2013, 02:41 PM

And you don't have to. :biggrin: Gotta love America! I personally agree with not playing them. They want to play again, earn it in the playoffs or join our conference. I don't see either happening any time soon, so I will enjoy listening to the butthurt from them until then.

aces1180
01-09-2013, 02:44 PM

I say we play them...However, under no circumstances should we play a game in GF...There is no reason to ever do that unless somehow they get a higher seed than us in the playoffs.

Bison 4 Life
01-09-2013, 02:49 PM
Easy. They suck and why should we do them any favors? Plus, why play two Big Sky Teams in one year and why give them a home-home when their facility sucks.

There are plenty of situations where in state teams in different conferences play one another. Iowa/Iowa State is a good example. They have not always been on the same competitive level but they play it because they have a tradition. I just really regret the big time attitude we have when it comes to this game. It doesn't make any sense.

BisonNation11
01-09-2013, 02:59 PM
There are plenty of situations where in state teams in different conferences play one another. Iowa/Iowa State is a good example. They have not always been on the same competitive level but they play it because they have a tradition. I just really regret the big time attitude we have when it comes to this game. It doesn't make any sense.

But did Iowa/Iowa St. have the falling out like we did if/when they changed/went to separate divisions? If UND wasn't so butthurt by the whole thing, then I'm sure we would still be playing today. Don't be a dick and you won't get treated like one. I'm sure some time down the road, the rivalry will get renewed. But I'm guessing we will all be in the home and being fed mashed potatoes by nurses when that day comes.

bisonfan08
01-09-2013, 03:08 PM
I say we play them...However, under no circumstances should we play a game in GF...There is no reason to ever do that unless somehow they get a higher seed than us in the playoffs.

I agree with this, if they want to play us so damn bad then if we have a spot in the schedule to fill and they can make it work then we can beat them to a pulp if they want it so bad. However, I would not offer to pay for anything other than their minimal travel costs and under NO CIRCUMSTANCE would their be a return game in GF. You want us to come play up there then you have to earn it by becoming an elite program. NDSU plays non-conference away games against FBS teams, not lowly Big Sky bottom-feeders. It's the same reason Minnesota doesn't come play basketball up here, no reason too, different level of program.

THEsocalledfan
01-09-2013, 03:12 PM

I suspect there is more to the story. Gene would be a fool not to book a single, cash game with UND at a reasonable price. I bet UND just won't do it since they already have 11 games or they are stuck on some kind of home/home arranagement. If Gene gets desperate, and the price goes up, I could still see it happening. I don't see Gene going for anything that guarantee's a future game and I agree with him.

Bison 4 Life
01-09-2013, 03:19 PM
But did Iowa/Iowa St. have the falling out like we did if/when they changed/went to separate divisions? If UND wasn't so butthurt by the whole thing, then I'm sure we would still be playing today. Don't be a dick and you won't get treated like one. I'm sure some time down the road, the rivalry will get renewed. But I'm guessing we will all be in the home and being fed mashed potatoes by nurses when that day comes.

This is honestly the only reason I can see, and that is petty and ridiculous in my opinion.

missingnumber7
01-09-2013, 03:41 PM
There are plenty of situations where in state teams in different conferences play one another. Iowa/Iowa State is a good example. They have not always been on the same competitive level but they play it because they have a tradition. I just really regret the big time attitude we have when it comes to this game. It doesn't make any sense.I believe Iowa/Iowa state play, and play UNI because of State law.

Bison 4 Life
01-09-2013, 03:50 PM
I believe Iowa/Iowa state play, and play UNI because of State law.

Well that has been discussed to much consternation.

I just don't see a good reason besides butthurt/big time-yness that prevents this from happening.

tcbison
01-09-2013, 04:08 PM
This is from a post from a UND fan on ss.com. I think it says it all. I'm opposed to playing UND for these reasons among others.

As far as what this thread pertains to, UND needs to play NDSU now more than ever. If they don't, NDSU will just continue to suck up all area recruiting in the future. Local kids (Minnesota and North Dakota) are becoming more and more convinced that NDSU football is better in all aspects relative to UND; only defeating NDSU head-to-head could potentially change that.

abc123
01-09-2013, 04:11 PM
Pretty sure you're incorrect. As soon as NDSU was playoff eligible, they would have dropped UND because they wouldn't have been considered a counter and would have hurt NDSU. Which is the same reason UND dropped the series. At the time the schedules were made, it would have hurt UND's playoff chances more to play NDSU, win or lose, than it would have to beat up some D-II cupcake. Not sure how many times both of these have been pointed out by both fan bases. The series would have been interrupted one way or another.

Not trying to go into the whole "how it happened" and all that. Just reiterating that the series would have been stopped at some point.

Montana Bison
01-09-2013, 04:17 PM
There is NO upside in playing UND. Poll the students, my guess is that they could care less about playing them.

tcbison
01-09-2013, 04:19 PM
Pretty sure you're incorrect. As soon as NDSU was playoff eligible, they would have dropped UND because they wouldn't have been considered a counter and would have hurt NDSU. Which is the same reason UND dropped the series. At the time the schedules were made, it would have hurt UND's playoff chances more to play NDSU, win or lose, than it would have to beat up some D-II cupcake. Not sure how many times both of these have been pointed out by both fan bases. The series would have been interrupted one way or another.

I will challenge that. First of all, there is an example of how this should have been handled. That example was Sacramento State and UC Davis. Sacramento State moved up to DI and UC Davis stayed DII. Did they cancel the series? Nope. UC Davis even won some of those game and eventually UC Davis moved up as well. They still play to this day. I don't think we can say for sure the NDSU would have dropped UND(plus UND might have wised up and moved up even before that was an option).

THEsocalledfan
01-09-2013, 04:48 PM
I will challenge that. First of all, there is an example of how this should have been handled. That example was Sacramento State and UC Davis. Sacramento State moved up to DI and UC Davis stayed DII. Did they cancel the series? Nope. UC Davis even won some of those game and eventually UC Davis moved up as well. They still play to this day. I don't think we can say for sure the NDSU would have dropped UND(plus UND might have wised up and moved up even before that was an option).

Agreed. That would be like borrowing a hose from you neighbor then burning down his house. NDSU would have remembered UND helped them out......

heffray
01-09-2013, 04:58 PM
This is from a post from a UND fan on ss.com. I think it says it all. I'm opposed to playing UND for these reasons among others.

"As far as what this thread pertains to, UND needs to play NDSU now more than ever. If they don't, NDSU will just continue to suck up all area recruiting in the future. Local kids (Minnesota and North Dakota) are becoming more and more convinced that NDSU football is better in all aspects relative to UND; only defeating NDSU head-to-head could potentially change that."

Holy crap. That's a UND fan? That actually made sense... Interesting...

NDSU1980
01-09-2013, 05:46 PM
I will never understand the justification for this.It's easy to understand when you remember the press conference with a gleeful, almost gloating Roger Thomas saying Screw NDSU, we aren't playing them ever again. Now do you get the picture?

Bison 4 Life
01-09-2013, 05:49 PM
It's easy to understand when you remember the press conference with a gleeful, almost gloating Roger Thomas saying Screw NDSU, we aren't playing them ever again. Now do you get the picture?

So the guy who is currently the AD at the U of Mary is an asshole and that's why?

Bison 4 Life
01-09-2013, 05:54 PM
I genuinely don't mean to condescend but every time I have this conversation, when you start unraveling things, it turns into a "neener, neener" type thing which just puzzles me. I would like to see it happen but I wouldn't fight someone over it or anything.

heckler
01-09-2013, 06:42 PM
I genuinely don't mean to condescend but every time I have this conversation, when you start unraveling things, it turns into a "neener, neener" type thing which just puzzles me. I would like to see it happen but I wouldn't fight someone over it or anything.

........Why?

Bison 4 Life
01-09-2013, 06:43 PM
........Why?

Call me crazy but I grew up in Fargo and know that North Dakota is a pretty small place. It seems silly to ignore the only other DI program in the whole state over a petty beef.

heckler
01-09-2013, 06:48 PM
Call me crazy but I grew up in Fargo and know that North Dakota is a pretty small place. It seems silly to ignore the only other DI program in the whole state over a petty beef.

So your reason is to play them because you grew up in North Dakota?

Bison bison
01-09-2013, 06:53 PM

You're lucky because I'm ready to throw down.

Bison 4 Life
01-09-2013, 06:54 PM
So your reason is to play them because you grew up in North Dakota?

That's like Fargo North not playing Fargo South

THEsocalledfan
01-09-2013, 06:59 PM

Hey, I completely agree. When I reminded folks years ago that NDSU should not sink to UND's level, mentioned principles like forgiveness and turn the other cheek, I thought I was going to be tarred and feathered!

BlueBisonRock
01-09-2013, 07:13 PM
Hey, I completely agree. When I reminded folks years ago that NDSU should not sink to UND's level, mentioned principles like forgiveness and turn the other cheek, I thought I was going to be tarred and feathered!

What, you mean you were not?

Tranny's yet unpublished ghost autobiography has a chapter dedicated to this event.

bisonpride4ever
01-09-2013, 07:16 PM
Delaware and Delaware St are kind of similar to NDSU/UN_ in the fact that they haven't played a regular season football game. DSU believes its because they are a HBCU and that Delaware is racist. Delaware says that they play other HBCUs and that they don't play DSU because they feel they are lesser competition for them. They finally met in the 1st round of the playoffs in 2007 in which Delaware destroyed them 44-7. They haven't played since and probably won't unless they meet in the playoffs again.

loudsilverado
01-09-2013, 07:23 PM
I hope we play UND

daddy daycare
01-09-2013, 07:32 PM
I hope we play UND

As do I. Sick of the BS from UND people I know comparing how great their hockey team is to NDSU football. I don't think Bohl would take the starters out with a 50 point lead.

tcbison
01-09-2013, 07:34 PM
How about this? First game is in Fargo. Next game can be in the Metrodome or new Vikings Stadium and NDSU gets all the profits. Next game after that is in Fargo.

HerdBot
01-09-2013, 07:37 PM
Unless we cannot find a 6th home game, do not play them. We cant lose sight of our goal next year. A national championship. We dont need the revenue or a novelty game to generate excitement and we will see even larger crowds next year. Our non conference schedule is harder than hell already. Montana State and Kansas State are losable games. Were not talking Robert Morris and Colorado State here. We need wins and for UND, this will be their Superbowl. Our Superbowl is in Frisco with 3 home playoff games. Like UNI, Youngstown, ISU red, ISU blue, and SIU isn't tough enough to go with MSU and KSU! Making the playoffs with a high seed will be HARD!

td577
01-09-2013, 08:17 PM
As do I. Sick of the BS from UND people I know comparing how great their hockey team is to NDSU football. I don't think Bohl would take the third string out with a 50 point lead.

Fixed it for you.

THEsocalledfan
01-09-2013, 08:31 PM
Unless we cannot find a 6th home game, do not play them. We cant lose sight of our goal next year. A national championship. We dont need the revenue....

So, only do it if we need a 6th game, but really, we don't need the revenue of that 6th game?

td577
01-09-2013, 08:59 PM
So, only do it if we need a 6th game, but really, we don't need the revenue of that 6th game?

That is like Coach Bohl pissing away $10k by not having a 6th home game.

THEsocalledfan
01-09-2013, 09:10 PM
That is like Coach Bohl pissing away $10k by not having a 6th home game.

And those tool's count toward our wins we need. I'll stand my my comment that if NDSU can get UND for a good price with absolutely no guarantee of having to go to potatoville, I can't see how you pass it up.

GRAFTONBISON
01-09-2013, 09:12 PM
And those tool's count toward our wins we need. I'll stand my my comment that if NDSU can get UND for a good price with absolutely no guarantee of having to go to potatoville, I can't see how you pass it up.

Bolded is the key. Not going to happen.

THEsocalledfan
01-09-2013, 09:13 PM
Bolded is the key. Not going to happen.

I completely agree with that, but in reality, UND should make an extremely generous move to NDSU if they want the ice to melt.

HerdBot
01-09-2013, 09:14 PM

As a teammaker I demand a 6 game home schedule. So do most others. 7 would be cool too but not if it hurts the program. 5 games I am pissed

aces1180
01-09-2013, 09:16 PM

Agreed...But there is no way it is going to happen.

I do think GT should offer and then tell Izzo UND wasn't willing to take the deal...Just like when they wanted to a do an every other year deal and Faison ran to Wayne Nelson saying the contract was on Gene's desk.

BisonNation11
01-09-2013, 09:16 PM
As a teammaker I demand a 6 game home schedule. So do most others.

Agreed. Don't care the cost as the 6th game is usually a cupcake helping us get playoff home games.

THEsocalledfan
01-09-2013, 09:31 PM
As a teammaker I demand a 6 game home schedule. So do most others. 7 would be cool too but not if it hurts the program. 5 games I am pissed

Gabe, read your quote again:

"Unless we cannot find a 6th home game, do not play them. We cant lose sight of our goal next year. A national championship. We dont need the revenue..."

Right now, NDSU has 5 home game assuming Western Carolina backs out. This i a big revenue blow if you only have 5 games. (It has nothing to do with your "demand".) You state NDSU does not need the revenue, but you want a 6th game? Those are opposites, so I could not figure out what the devil you meant. I am still not sure what you meant.

HerdBot
01-09-2013, 09:40 PM
Gabe, read your quote again:

"Unless we cannot find a 6th home game, do not play them. We cant lose sight of our goal next year. A national championship. We dont need the revenue..."

Right now, NDSU has 5 home game assuming Western Carolina backs out. This i a big revenue blow if you only have 5 games. (It has nothing to do with your "demand".) You state NDSU does not need the revenue, but you want a 6th game? Those are opposites, so I could not figure out what the devil you meant. I am still not sure what you meant.

Let me rephrase. We have 6 games including Western Carolina. If we lose that game it must be replaced. UND as a last resort option. Preferably a cupcake

NDSU1980
01-09-2013, 11:31 PM
So the guy who is currently the AD at the U of Mary is an asshole and that's why?Yep, right along with everyone else at und that contributed this this fiasco. When RT put the screws to us, no one, and I mean no one at und stood up and said this is wrong. UN_ doesn't even deserve to be on the same field with us and I applaud Gene Taylor for sticking to his principles.

You remind me of the guy who got dumped by his girlfriend in HS and than willingly took her back after she made a fool out of him. Sorry, but I'm not that type.

Bison 4 Life
01-09-2013, 11:35 PM
Yep, right along with everyone else at und that contributed this this fiasco. When RT put the screws to us, no one, and I mean no one at und stood up and said this is wrong. UN_ doesn't even deserve to be on the same field with us and I applaud Gene Taylor for sticking to his principles.

You remind me of the guy who got dumped by his girlfriend in HS and than willingly took her back after she made a fool out of him. Sorry, but I'm not that type.

It would appear the only thing that matters is the DI era so we should only be talking about how NDSU and how Brock Jensen is the winningest QB in NDSU Bison history since it only goes back to 2003.

heckler
01-10-2013, 12:16 AM
It would appear the only thing that matters is the DI era so we should only be talking about how NDSU and how Brock Jensen is the winningest QB in NDSU Bison history since it only goes back to 2003.

Sounds good!

loudsilverado
01-10-2013, 01:37 AM
Fire Roger Thomas, save season...

1998braves64
01-13-2013, 06:01 AM
For lack of better place, looking at the schedule our last game of regular season is Nov 23rd so first round playoffs Nov 30th to semi final week is Dec 21st. So 3 weeks after that puts championship game on January 11th? Just curious trying to make plans for next holiday season as trying to get in a bday party for my son at my in laws (as mentioned before live in Quebec) so with him turning 5 this coming year will be his last chance to make it without missing a bunch of school, etc. Not to mention works out nice with the thanksgiving holiday being late this year. Plan is to try to make it back for 2nd round game. But am also trying to plan out a trip for the inevitable championship run too don't want to miss out on it next year! The week later thing kind of throws a kink into what I thought would work out over the New Year day off...

IzzyFlexion
01-13-2013, 06:11 AM
Let me rephrase. We have 6 games including Western Carolina. If we lose that game it must be replaced. UND as a last resort option. Preferably a cupcake

redundant.....

344Johnson
01-13-2013, 06:39 AM
redundant.....

lolz

10 char

A1pigskin
01-13-2013, 01:01 PM
redundant.....

ditto...........

WRSDBison
01-13-2013, 04:14 PM
If he did, he needs someone to take his newspaper clippings away. While there are some, there aren't a lot of 5'8" 185 lb running backs in the NFL. Even Adrian Peterson didn't declare early.

Ummmmm, except for the fact that he DID declare early. Last I checked you can play 4 years of college football. He played 3.

Unless I misunderstood and you're talking about the former Bears backup.

BisonNeil
01-13-2013, 04:21 PM
The Forum is making yet another attempt to get NDSU to play UND on Sept 21. I think I may have to cancel my subscription.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/386297/group/Opinion/

oldmantutters
01-13-2013, 04:39 PM
The Forum is making yet another attempt to get NDSU to play UND on Sept 21. I think I may have to cancel my subscription.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/386297/group/Opinion/

Jesus Christ! Who wrote that piece of garbage? An ADD 9th grader trying to use big words to boost his grade? It's so embarrassing whoever wrote it didn't see it fit to put their name to it. It is so full of inaccuracies I can't even wrap my head around it. Unbelievable that the paper who makes so much money off of the local university continues to show their undying love for the second-rate university 75 miles to the north. It's hard to tell if they just buy-in to the Skip Bayless/Colin Cowherd school of journalism where you just have the "opinion" so far to the contrary that it stirs up controversy. In the end, if that is their aim, they could have at least had their facts straight.

WRSDBison
01-13-2013, 05:45 PM
Jesus Christ! Who wrote that piece of garbage? An ADD 9th grader trying to use big words to boost his grade? It's so embarrassing whoever wrote it didn't see it fit to put their name to it. It is so full of inaccuracies I can't even wrap my head around it. Unbelievable that the paper who makes so much money off of the local university continues to show their undying love for the second-rate university 75 miles to the north. It's hard to tell if they just buy-in to the Skip Bayless/Colin Cowherd school of journalism where you just have the "opinion" so far to the contrary that it stirs up controversy. In the end, if that is their aim, they could have at least had their facts straight.

My guess to the first part would be Brian Faison. Which leads me to believe "Yes" on the second part.

td577
01-13-2013, 06:25 PM
I will give the article credit for one thing. At least the writer acknowledges NDSU's position. We don't need UND to sell out. A home and home causes financial losses for the Bison. On the field it will be a few years before any und team to be remotely competitive.

That being said, I would find a 66-0 drubbing very entertaining. It would cement the irrelevance und has become on the football landscape. For that very reason, if that 6th home game is bought out then schedule a home game with he whoiux. One game only for now and treat them the same way you treat a d2 team. Pay them. $150k buyout. Give the whoiux $100k and make no other concessions in the deal. Simply pay them to fill out our schedule.

Lastly, use the Forum to deliver the contract on page one. Let them publish and deliver the contract to the whoiux so the issue is out there for everyone to see.

If it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen. I wouldn't mind another fcs win in the books though.

NorthernBison
01-13-2013, 06:39 PM
Home and home deals do not cause financial losses.

We have them with the Montana schools.

With 11 game seasons it is impossible to play an FBS, have 6 home games, AND play quality OOC FCS opponents. Decisions must be made.

aces1180
01-13-2013, 06:44 PM

With 11 game seasons it is impossible to play an FBS, have 6 home games, AND play quality OOC FCS opponents. Decisions must be made.

We only have a home-home with Montana...The Montana State game in Fargo this fall is the back-end of the 2005 game in Bozeman.

It's this simple...GT isn't going to sign a home-home with UND. If they want to play us, they can take a guarantee to come to the Fargodome. Otherwise, this game is not going to happen. As has been said before, "In Gene I Trust!"

DIBISON
01-13-2013, 06:53 PM

Home and home do cause one less game in the Fargodome every other year. I do not like that.

We do not have a home and home schedule with any other schools on an ongoing basis. Montana is a one time thing.

344Johnson
01-13-2013, 06:56 PM
Some people can't just leave it alone I guess.

NorthernBison
01-13-2013, 07:13 PM
Home and home do cause one less game in the Fargodome every other year. I do not like that.

We do not have a home and home schedule with any other schools on an ongoing basis. Montana is a one time thing.

I understand that. Just understand that not doing home and homes means really crappy opponents. And those opponents are getting increasingly demanding. I think we paid PVAM about half the gate. It might get worse too.

EndZoneQB
01-13-2013, 07:14 PM
I apologize if this has been posted already, but he is a preview of the 2013 season from TSN.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/writers/infcshuddle/archive/haley_01_09_2013.htm

Nope, there isn't a thread called "Sports Network 2013 Preview" like 6 threads below this one...

aces1180
01-13-2013, 07:21 PM
Nope, there isn't a thread called "Sports Network 2013 Preview" like 6 threads below this one...

Thanks...I missed it.

CalBison97
01-13-2013, 08:48 PM
I understand that. Just understand that not doing home and homes means really crappy opponents. And those opponents are getting increasingly demanding. I think we paid PVAM about half the gate. It might get worse too.

1 FBS on road + 1 crappy OOC at home + MVC schedule = championship winning formula

NorthernBison
01-13-2013, 09:00 PM
1 FBS on road + 1 crappy OOC at home + MVC schedule = championship winning formula

Wrong. 2 crappy OOC at home.

I'm fine with that formula. It's working.

Keep in mind that no games between top teams leads to judgement calls at playoff selection time.

aces1180
01-15-2013, 02:05 PM
As far as I am concerned Western Carolina is still on our schedule and I plan on watching them play September 21. If they decide to buy the game out for $150,000, I trust Gene Taylor will be able to take that amount, plus the estimated $250,000 that was expected to be paid to WCU and find us another game. I think a match-up versus a team similar to WCU's caliber on September 14 would be ideal, as it would give the Bison a good tuneup leading a bye right before conference play would be begin. That's $400,000 which could be used to bring in a 2nd OOC home game. No worries. But as of right now, I expect to watch the Bison play WCU on September 21.

All kidding aside, I don't expect UND to ever accept a guarantee to play in Fargo. I also don't expect NDSU to ever accept a home/home with them either. And if I were Mussman and Faison was proposing to play NDSU as a 12th game in 2013, I don't think I would be to pleased. They already have their hands full with OOC games with SDSU, Montana and Valpo. Considering they will more than likely head into their Big Sky schedule with a 1-2 record, an almost certain beating by NDSU won't help them attain their goal of making the playoffs. Yes, UND would be a perfect replacement for WCU (similar skill set, bottom-dweller of power conference), but it just won't happen, unless for some reason UND decides to take the guarantee. I know NDSU will never sign a home/home with UND, nor should it.

The discussion for a return of the game will not end anytime soon. It's fun to think of scenarios that would bring these teams together on the field once again, but they are very limited. The rivalry is still there, but it is not worth selling out to their demands to play the game. If they agree to our terms, let it happen. Until then, let it stew.

td577
01-15-2013, 02:47 PM
One time offer. Offer them the $400k with no strings attached. Nothing more, nothing less.

aces1180
01-15-2013, 02:49 PM
One time offer. Offer them the $400k with no strings attached. Nothing more, nothing less.

Agreed...And call Dom and Jeff immediately when they decline.

THEsocalledfan
01-15-2013, 02:51 PM
The discussion for a return of the game will not end anytime soon. It's fun to think of scenarios that would bring these teams together on the field once again, but they are very limited. The rivalry is still there, but it is not worth selling out to their demands to play the game. If they agree to our terms, let it happen. Until then, let it stew.

The real questions is when will the politicians become involved......due to all the reasons you state, I don't see anything happening until the the politicians start meddling.

aces1180
01-15-2013, 02:57 PM
The real questions is when will the politicians become involved......due to all the reasons you state, I don't see anything happening until the the politicians start meddling.

They may start meddling again, but I think common sense (like the UND nickname fiasco) will eventually shine through. However, we are talking about the ND Legislature, so common sense isn't a given or even expected.

KilldeerBison
01-15-2013, 03:25 PM

G. Taylor can give the pooh a guarantee, he can guarantee them that the Bison will be in the playoffs next year. If Muss and Co. want the Bison, the answer is easy; get in the playoffs. If any ND politician(s) desire a Bison vs pooh game, they should demand that UN__ pick it's program up a few notches and make the playoffs.:)

NorthernBison
01-15-2013, 03:59 PM
They may start meddling again, but I think common sense (like the UND nickname fiasco) will eventually shine through. However, we are talking about the ND Legislature, so common sense isn't a given or even expected.

Gene is smart enough to know what NOT to do. A bunch of the ideas thrown out there by us rubes are the kind of things that would invite meddling. I don't expect that Gene will offer a guaranty game with no discussion of a return. If he ever did get into a guaranty discussion, a lowball offer would be just daring the Politicos to get involved. So far, his comments and apparent willingness to discuss it when the time is right has kept Bismarck out of it. It can be milked for quite a while longer.

aces1180
01-15-2013, 04:04 PM
Gene is smart enough to know what NOT to do. A bunch of the ideas thrown out there by us rubes are the kind of things that would invite meddling. I don't expect that Gene will offer a guaranty game with no discussion of a return. If he ever did get into a guaranty discussion, a lowball offer would be just daring the Politicos to get involved. So far, his comments and apparent willingness to discuss it when the time is right has kept Bismarck out of it. It can be milked for quite a while longer.

If he offered fair market value, $300,000, there should be no issues with that. When I say we should lowball them, I know that it will not happen. It's just another way I show my disrespect to their program.

PlainsBison
01-15-2013, 04:38 PM
You would think that UND would come down for nothing for a one-time game, just to elevate their program (HEY LOOK, we're playing the BISON, look at us, look at us, we do exist).

344Johnson
01-15-2013, 04:43 PM
If he offered fair market value, $300,000, there should be no issues with that. When I say we should lowball them, I know that it will not happen. It's just another way I show my disrespect to their program.

Fair Market Value in North Dakota is substantially less than other parts of the country. I say we offer to pay Muss's salary and for their bus tickets.

NorthernBison
01-15-2013, 04:51 PM

Think of this like a parent dealing with siblings that are fighting. Consider the Legislature in a "parent" role.

You let your kids sort out their differences..... to a point. If it ever gets to a point where you have to step in, you lay down the Law and they have to deal with it.

Now, I'll add one more detail. Assume you tend to favor one of the kids over the other (not that I would). I think you know where I'm going with this. Right?

THEsocalledfan
01-15-2013, 05:16 PM
Think of this like a parent dealing with siblings that are fighting. Consider the Legislature in a "parent" role.

You let your kids sort out their differences..... to a point. If it ever gets to a point where you have to step in, you lay down the Law and they have to deal with it.

Now, I'll add one more detail. Assume you tend to favor one of the kids over the other (not that I would). I think you know where I'm going with this. Right?

But you are missing one important fact: Sometimes the pain and suffering of the parent getting involved can be worth the good shot you got in before everything went to hell and a hand basket that lead to parenteral intervention. I remember one time when my two brothers were fighting and my mom and dad stepped in. The younger brother was getting pummeled and started the fight. When asked if it was worth it, he said, "Yes, that was the best shot I'd ever gotten in!"

With that said, time to make a formal offer, in public, stating NDSU will agree to a single game in fargo, with no hope of return to GF, and not payment at all to UND since it is questionable if they really are D1. (I think the last part needs to be quoted from Gene.) Or simply have a picture take of Gene flipping the bird to UND. That would also be effective.

td577
01-15-2013, 05:20 PM
Agreed...And call Dom and Jeff immediately when they decline.

You use the forum and herald to deliver the contract. Transparency. When it isn't accepted, then there will be no question who did what.

Tatanka
01-15-2013, 05:25 PM
And five years from now the forum will run an editorial saying that un_ was the one making the lowball offer thus necessitating legislative intervention? Brilliant.

BisonNation11
01-15-2013, 05:38 PM
And five years from now the forum will run an editorial saying that un_ was the one making the lowball offer thus necessitating legislative intervention? Brilliant.

Exactly. Can't people just let this thing die? There is no time in the near future that appears to be a good time for these teams to play. Destiny (the playoffs) will determine when and where the next game in this "rivalry" will take place.

td577
01-15-2013, 09:00 PM
Exactly. Can't people just let this thing die? There is no time in the near future that appears to be a good time for these teams to play. Destiny (the playoffs) will determine when and where the next game in this "rivalry" will take place.

I would like a sixth home game and und makes a lot of sense being the open dates. Since we probably can't get a top notch fcs program then let's take what we can get.

Snowgoose
01-15-2013, 09:10 PM
I have to say I don't want another top notch program on the schedule and I don't want UND either only because rivalry games can be difficult and this one would. It doesn't matter what kind of team they have. We need a cupcake as we already have a difficult schedule next year with KSU, MSU, UNI, and SDSU in four out the first five weeks. If for some reason the ball bounces the wrong direction a couple of times we could be 2-2 through that schedule without some huge rivalry game.

NorthernBison
01-15-2013, 09:26 PM
I have to say I don't want another top notch program on the schedule and I don't want UND either only because rivalry games can be difficult and this one would. It doesn't matter what kind of team they have. We need a cupcake as we already have a difficult schedule next year with KSU, MSU, UNI, and SDSU in four out the first five weeks. If for some reason the ball bounces the wrong direction a couple of times we could be 2-2 through that schedule without some huge rivalry game.

It's four out of the first SIX Saturdays but your point is well taken. I agree.

BlueBisonRock
01-15-2013, 09:48 PM
And to think. Just a few short years ago as well as in another current thread, Bisonville thought / thinks the Montana approach of scheduling cupcakes was a travesty. Now BV seems to want to play a bunch of cupcakes. Consistency anyone?

I love the fact that MSU is on the schedule and has a solid team coming back. I kept thinking we would get another shot at them in the playoffs, but they just did not do their job.

NDSU92
01-15-2013, 09:57 PM
And to think. Just a few short years ago as well as in another current thread, Bisonville thought / thinks the Montana approach of scheduling cupcakes was a travesty. Now BV seems to want to play a bunch of cupcakes. Consistency anyone?

I love the fact that MSU is on the schedule and has a solid team coming back. I kept thinking we would get another shot at them in the playoffs, but they just did not do their job.

I'm pretty sure everyone's problem with Montana's philosophy was the fact that the cupcakes they were playing were non D1 counters.

BlueBisonRock
01-15-2013, 09:59 PM
I'm pretty sure everyone's problem with Montana's philosophy was the fact that the cupcakes they were playing were non D1 counters.

I got that. I also understand the rational. I really just wanted to remind peeps of the 'Glass House' approach.

ndsubison1
01-15-2013, 10:56 PM

but its not comparable to montana. we're playing a team that just played in a bcs bowl. despite losing their qb and a lot on defense they could be a top 25 team next year. and montana state who was 10-1 and return a good QB. a cupcake if necessary (und is not on the same level of a wcu, robert morris, pv a&m) is important

56BISON73
01-15-2013, 11:01 PM

Winner winner

aces1180
01-15-2013, 11:06 PM
but its not comparable to montana. we're playing a team that just played in a bcs bowl. despite losing their qb and a lot on defense they could be a top 25 team next year. and montana state who was 10-1 and return a good QB. a cupcake if necessary (und is not on the same level of a wcu, robert morris, pv a&m) is important

I disagree with this...we would never play a home/home with any of these teams and I feel the same should apply to UND.

BlueBisonRock
01-15-2013, 11:23 PM

I am looking forward to the Bison stepping up to the challenge. The scheduling is not rediculous like the UNI folks nor does it leave a hole like SHSU gave themselves. UND has not proven to be a top notch team in the FCS although my post neither states get 'em on the schedule' nor 'we should never play them again'. And Oh, KSU will be a fun and challenging game. I love the simple fact that the Bison and the fanbase expects to play for a win and does not accept the BCS cupcake label. That is what competition is about.

NDSU1980
01-15-2013, 11:49 PM

I love the fact that MSU is on the schedule and has a solid team coming back. I kept thinking we would get another shot at them in the playoffs, but they just did not do their job. Compared to us, everyone is a cupcake. Some are just bigger cupcakes than others. But I've still got no interest in playing those Twinkies up north.

BlueBisonRock
01-16-2013, 12:26 AM
Compared to us, everyone is a cupcake. Some are just bigger cupcakes than others. But I've still got no interest in playing those Twinkies up north.

:) I almost agree with your assertion. But it works so what the hell. There are cupcakes and there are bigger cupcakes. (I can't put the top of Socon in the cupcake category. However, the others... yeah.) It wouldn't bother me if we played the GFCCC NoName NoD for a one time shot, but I am not lobbying for the game. It won't bother me if we don't. I simply am not a fan of the easy road in sports or in life.

BisonNation11
01-16-2013, 03:50 AM
:) I almost agree with your assertion. But it works so what the hell. There are cupcakes and there are bigger cupcakes. (I can't put the top of Socon in the cupcake category. However, the others... yeah.) It wouldn't bother me if we played the GFCCC NoName NoD for a one time shot, but I am not lobbying for the game. It won't bother me if we don't. I simply am not a fan of the easy road in sports or in life.

Most anyone that wants to get anywhere in life doesn't want the easy road. It's been done and it is not satisfying. However, an "easy challenge" every once in awhile, would almost always be accepted in order to evaluate one's self and to learn from the experience, without the stress that comes from more difficult challenges.

344Johnson
01-16-2013, 04:17 AM
If it was a one time thing, I'd be all for it.

In the playoffs....I'd be rather disappointed if they stick us with them every time we both make it.

BisonNation11
01-16-2013, 04:26 AM
If it was a one time thing, I'd be all for it.

In the playoffs....I'd be rather disappointed if they stick us with them every time we both make it.

Like that will ever happen!!! :rofl:

344Johnson
01-16-2013, 05:07 AM
Like that will ever happen!!! :rofl:

As much as I'd love to join in the laughter, it is coming sooner or later. UND will make the playoffs. We will make the playoffs. If it happens and only one(or neither) are seeded, a game will happen immediately.

heffray
01-16-2013, 05:13 AM
As much as I'd love to join in the laughter, it is coming sooner or later. UND will make the playoffs. We will make the playoffs. If it happens and only one(or neither) are seeded, a game will happen immediately.

The only exception being a 1 and 2 seed for either team... Otherwise I completely agree.

td577
01-16-2013, 06:17 AM
Most anyone that wants to get anywhere in life doesn't want the easy road. It's been done and it is not satisfying. However, an "easy challenge" every once in awhile, would almost always be accepted in order to evaluate one's self and to learn from the experience, without the stress that comes from more difficult challenges.

I agree with this. I would also add there hasn't been one difficult journey in life or sports that didn't include a small portion that is easy so the tough can refit.

mnriverbison
01-17-2013, 01:54 PM

Wow, BHP, that is a freaking bad ass photo in your sig.