PDA

View Full Version : Advantages of a playoff run

westnodak93bison
12-20-2012, 05:06 AM
I was thinking we have played a lot of football the last three seasons. Playoffs the last three years equates to 11 extra games and 17 extra weeks of practice. Many of our players are essentially getting another year of FB under their belts. Huge for improving quality depth imho. Big advantage for us over our conference foes.

IndyBison
12-20-2012, 05:10 AM
I was thinking we have played a lot of football the last three seasons. Playoffs the last three years equates to 11 extra games and 17 extra weeks of practice. Many of our players are essentially getting another year of FB under their belts. Huge for improving quality depth imho. Big advantage for us over our conference foes.
This is also something teams that make a bowl after a 6-6 or 7-5 season talk about as well. It's not extra game experience like the FCS playoffs but the 3-4 extra weeks of practice is a huge advantage over similar teams who don't get a bowl.

Hammerhead
12-20-2012, 12:11 PM
The extra game time is also against very good opponents. I would hope that playing someone like GSU and SHSU improves the players and coaches more than a blowout game.

THEsocalledfan
12-20-2012, 01:30 PM
The extra game time is also against very good opponents. I would hope that playing someone like GSU and SHSU improves the players and coaches more than a blowout game.

To me, I think the excellent part of these last two games is the mental toughness NDSU displayed. You worry about them getting a little beat up in such physical games, but they must feel like we can take your best shot and it simply doesn't matter.

HerdBot
12-20-2012, 01:32 PM
I'll just say this. There is a reason one of the sanctions the NCAA puts on teams like USC and Penn State is limits on practice time, I think off season practice is part of it too. It hurts teams. So when we get 4 extra games and several weeks of practice, it is a major benefit to the program.

The downside is it can wear players down. But I don't think we've lost anyone to injury during the playoffs

Bison"FANatic"
12-20-2012, 01:45 PM
Athletes like to "play" in games and when you are sitting in a recruits living room and you can say look at our history. We don't play eleven games, we play 14-16. They have to like that. On the flip side it has to be a balancing act to keep these guys motivated when they basically have not had a month off since Christmas 2010. That is a great "problem" to have though.

KSBisonFan
12-20-2012, 03:52 PM
The last 2 post-seasons should have had a big impact on NDSU's revenue? I realize the NCAA takes a cut but hosting all the playoff games generates some money for our program. Maybe someone in the know could expand on this.
Bohl's contract has incentives for winning and attendance so that helps make his pay considerably larger than his base contract.

Bison"FANatic"
12-20-2012, 03:54 PM
The last 2 post-seasons should have had a big impact on NDSU's revenue? I realize the NCAA takes a cut but hosting all the playoff games generates some money for our program. Maybe someone in the know could expand on this.
Bohl's contract has incentives for winning and attendance so that helps make his pay considerably larger than his base contract.

Winning also allowed them to raise Teammakers dues across the board and that brought in a bunch of revenue and then the added tickets sales and it has been like a lottery win financially.

THEsocalledfan
12-20-2012, 04:04 PM

I know the dome did well last year....

SDbison
12-20-2012, 04:18 PM
Winning also allowed them to raise Teammakers dues across the board and that brought in a bunch of revenue and then the added tickets sales and it has been like a lottery win financially. Speaking of a lottery, this year through 9 home games the 50/50 raffle each week averaged close to $15,000 for the fan winner and $15,000 for teammakers to put in the scholarship fund. That has to be close to 9 full rides. Awesome!

westnodak93bison
12-20-2012, 04:24 PM
Speaking of a lottery, this year through 9 home games the 50/50 raffle each week averaged close to $15,000 for the fan winner and $15,000 for teammakers to put in the scholarship fund. That has to be close to 9 full rides. Awesome!

They should do first half and second half or one for each quarter. Probably would raise even more money.

Hammerhead
12-20-2012, 04:38 PM
Does NDSU get any of the money from concession stands during the games or is it just limited to advertising that is on display during games like the Scheels logo on the nets during the regular season? I would imagine all of the parking revenue and static advertising goes to the Fargodome.

EndZoneQB
12-20-2012, 04:39 PM
They started coming around to our bus a little earlier each week. They need to learn that people wallets loosen up once they get a little anti-freeze in them.

thundarsdaddy
12-20-2012, 04:55 PM
They should do first half and second half or one for each quarter. Probably would raise even more money.

That might be a GREAT idea!

T-Funk
12-20-2012, 05:30 PM
Winning also generates licensing revenues for NDSU as fans buy more clothing and gear. WDAY did a news story on this last week, and I believe it stated that the school received approximately $200k in licensing revenues over the past couple of years.

Kujava23
12-20-2012, 05:33 PM
Dont FORGET the HUGGGGEEEE ADVANTAGEEEE of bringing recruits to HOME PLAYOFF GAMES and letting the recruits experiece BISON NATION!!

We've signed a couple of better DL recently from Wisconsin after having them visit one of our HOME PLAYOFF games!!

GO BISON

heffray
12-20-2012, 05:55 PM
Dont FORGET the HUGGGGEEEE ADVANTAGEEEE of bringing recruits to HOME PLAYOFF GAMES and letting the recruits experiece BISON NATION!!

We've signed a couple of better DL recently from Wisconsin after having them visit one of our HOME PLAYOFF games!!

GO BISON

That's overrated. All a recruit needs to do to see BisonNation is come on Bisonville. They all do that anyway.

roadwarrior
12-20-2012, 07:04 PM
Does NDSU get any of the money from concession stands during the games or is it just limited to advertising that is on display during games like the Scheels logo on the nets during the regular season? I would imagine all of the parking revenue and static advertising goes to the Fargodome.

The rental agreement between NDSU and the Fargodome is many pages long and very complex. No easy answers to your questions, unless you hire CAS to interpret it.

Vitojr130
12-20-2012, 07:12 PM
That's overrated. All a recruit needs to do to see BisonNation is come on Bisonville. They all do that anyway.

And by this, you mean Lakes tries to befriend them on Facebook, Twitter, and the blog (Proseed anyone?), suggests he is friends with them, then proceeds to look like an idiot back in his days on Bisonville?