PDA

View Full Version : T. Wright

Kujava23
12-19-2012, 04:49 PM
Impressions on Trayvon Wright? I havent seen the improvement that I was hoping to see from him. I'm not thrilled to see him jacking more 3's than Braun.
I was hoping he would add some more weight (alas Chris Kading) and be able to use his athletic ability in POST more where we need more help.
Orrr to use his athletic ability by putting the ball on the floor and driving to the hoop BEING MORE AGGRESSIVE.

I THINK----just my opinion---that he would be a better bench player. I think by starting Kading or Aaberg in post alongside Bjorklund would help keep Bjorklund on court (out of foul trouble)
and fresher for offensive end. We might also become better defensively in POSITION defense (I realize Trayvon can block shots) but usually gets bulled under hoop with ON MAN defense.

I was hoping to see some different lineups vs. lesser opponents to see how a BIG lineup would look. I understand coaching staff probably has experiented but i feel could be benefiscial in trying.

bisonfan08
12-19-2012, 04:57 PM
Problem with the Kading suggestion is that Aaberg has been battling back issues and it's limiting his minutes so he's providing rest for both Trayvon and Bjorklund. That being said I think we have seen a steady increase in Kading's minutes as he is a beast and really brings this team energy off the bench. I like our rotation with Felt and Kading coming off the bench. As far as Tray goes, I think we all wish he woulda put on a little more weight so he could be more effective in the post, but he hasn't. His ball handling skills aren't great which is why he's not as effective as he could be going to the hoop like Braun does. I would like to see him working the high post more and catching the ball 15-17 ft from the basket instead of 20. With his jumping ability even if the defender is gets there he's not going to be able to block the shot and that mid-range jumper could be really effective for him.

NDSUstudent
12-19-2012, 05:09 PM
Offensively he will match up better vs some teams than others. Defensively and on the glass he wasn't great against MN but he has been a terror in most other games. We absolutely need his length and athleticism on the court. A lot of what we do defensively, especially when it comes to scoring in transition is creating deflections and that is something Tray can do well.

I do like the Bjorklund-Kading combo but I also like Kading off the bench.

Kujava23
12-19-2012, 05:14 PM
I didnt realize Aaberg had back issues; Kading definitely deserves more PT! I like the suggestion of moving Trayvon inside more to high post; he made a few 3's in Summit Conference Tournament last year and now thinks is a 3pt shooter---numbers dont lie---look at his 3pt%. I think moving forward to make team more efficient that Kading starts over Trayvon; I think for team to improve it should happen sooner than later

KSBisonFan
12-19-2012, 05:32 PM
I've just conceded that Trayvon is going to have good games and bad mostly due to the matchups. He started the year really well in our tourney games but when he's inside on a big-bodied post player or outside on a quick F or G, he's not going to win those matchups. Offensively, he's a mid-range player and he can be good on the boards depending on matchups. IMO, allowing Tray to hoist threes is a mistake by the coaches. A possession ending in a Tray 3 point attempt is going to be a bad possession 75% of the time. We've seen the movie where everyone stands around behind the 3 pt line last year and that movie sucked. With all that said, we had much more serious issues last season so I'm happy to see the team show improvement so far this year.

Bison"FANatic"
12-19-2012, 06:01 PM
The launching of 3's from Tray gives everyone a little pucker factor. His game is going to be getting to the glass and getting putbacks and playing D and getting rebounds. His weight is what it is and is not going to change and that is not from his lack of trying just the way it is. He has done OK in out of conference but I think he will shine inconference with matchups and his athletic ability.

Kermit
12-19-2012, 06:04 PM
Impressions on Trayvon Wright? I havent seen the improvement that I was hoping to see from him. I'm not thrilled to see him jacking more 3's than Braun.
I was hoping he would add some more weight (alas Chris Kading) and be able to use his athletic ability in POST more where we need more help.
Orrr to use his athletic ability by putting the ball on the floor and driving to the hoop BEING MORE AGGRESSIVE.

I THINK----just my opinion---that he would be a better bench player. I think by starting Kading or Aaberg in post alongside Bjorklund would help keep Bjorklund on court (out of foul trouble)
and fresher for offensive end. We might also become better defensively in POSITION defense (I realize Trayvon can block shots) but usually gets bulled under hoop with ON MAN defense.

I was hoping to see some different lineups vs. lesser opponents to see how a BIG lineup would look. I understand coaching staff probably has experiented but i feel could be benefiscial in trying.

I think what you are missing is that TrayVonn is an excellent defender with game-changing ability on the perimeter. He is not, and never will be, a post player. Team defense has been pretty consistent this season and TrayVonn has been a huge contributor.

Most of the time, the Bison will be fine with one post player--especially in the Summit League where few teams have a true power forward. When the Bison are in situations where they need two post players on the floor, Kading or Aaberg will need to play with Bjorklund.

Wright has been much more erratic on the offensive end of the court. Frankly, I agree with posters who think he shoots too many threes. He seems to shoot the three fairly well in a practice setting, but it hasn't carried over to games and he has some ugly misses. I happen to think that he should be the "garbage man" on the offensive end--hit the offensive glass hard.

Bison"FANatic"
12-19-2012, 06:11 PM
I happen to think that he should be the "garbage man" on the offensive end--hit the offensive glass hard.

This^^^^^^^^ That is where he can make a huge contribution and should be his primary role and the offensive rebound with the slam putback is also so demoralizing.

Mr. Burgundy
12-19-2012, 08:12 PM
kermit and I watch way too much of this stuff, he is alot better shooter than he has shown, I don't mind it as much as I have seen what type of player he is, and I don't expect him to post up and dominate down low. Corey Brewer is similar, they aren't going to look like Blake Griffin. he isn't going to be THICK.

Kermit and I talk about him in his garbage man type roll, we love that. Put backs, offensive rebounds, expta possessions. The thing people need to quickly realize, he is playing awesome defense right now. He is so long and bouncy that he is really altering shots. he can change the game. There have been a few road games where he has been the difference. His offensive stats become secondary. It is SO nice to have Kading coming off the bench and playing so well. Quite a future for that young man.

dragonsfan
12-19-2012, 09:39 PM
He's a tweener, thats how they roll. 1 matchup they get 20/8 following matchup 6/4. Take good with the bad

AjaxTheMighty
12-19-2012, 09:55 PM
kermit and I watch way too much of this stuff, he is alot better shooter than he has shown, I don't mind it as much as I have seen what type of player he is, and I don't expect him to post up and dominate down low. Corey Brewer is similar, they aren't going to look like Blake Griffin. he isn't going to be THICK.

Kermit and I talk about him in his garbage man type roll, we love that. Put backs, offensive rebounds, expta possessions. The thing people need to quickly realize, he is playing awesome defense right now. He is so long and bouncy that he is really altering shots. he can change the game. There have been a few road games where he has been the difference. His offensive stats become secondary. It is SO nice to have Kading coming off the bench and playing so well. Quite a future for that young man.

I heard Saul say that they can't get Tray to put on weight and they tried. He doesn't know the ways of the thick man. So they cant play him like he is. If Saul played him inside all game he would get banged around pretty good and either end up hurt or burned up early

Kujava23
12-20-2012, 05:13 PM

His athletic ability can easy translate into hustle points---offensive rebounds, tips on defensive end, blocks on defense; I understand all of that I am a basketball coach; I just think Bison have tough enough time being efficient on offensive end that Trayvvon launching multiple 3's in a game isn't ideal. Can't he drive it at all? He isnt a catch and shoot pure guy---

BASICALLY, all i want is for him to take better shots---to be more aggressive---meaning pound offensive glass...use your bounce to go get it and your quicks to get around guys(doesnt have strength) catch 3pt line--shot fake..attack hoop---1 dribble he's in lane for his little 1 hand shotput shot---ATTACK mode rather than float and catch and shoot 3's

silkamilkamonico
12-20-2012, 05:51 PM
I've always thought Tray takes good shots. He just doesn't hit them. Teams lay off him on the perimeter and he always seems to have a great look at the basket.

I have never seen him drive with the ball. I've never seen him handle it either. I hold my breathe every time he puts the ball on the floor because he just doesn't seem natural handling it. Hell, every time the ball moves around the perimeter it sticks every time it gets to Tray.

I like the garbage roll. IMHO he has no business putting the ball on the floor and trying to drive, just isn't his forte.

99Bison
12-20-2012, 10:58 PM
IMO, as much as I hate the term "within the x" - play this year has been within the offense and defense which has been the issue the past two years. Not going to nitpick on the progress this year or try and define a role from my sitting in the stands perspective. IMO, the biggest improvement has come from and will continue to come from gaining a feel for the teams play.