PDA

View Full Version : things to do if you have some extra time in Frisco

DFWfootballfan
12-19-2012, 03:25 PM
forgot to add this to my food post but in case you guys have some time on friday here are a few places id recommend

with out without kids

Downtown area-30 minutes
JFK 6th floor museum

Perot museum of nature and sciene- this thing opened a month ago and ive heard its spectacular. had a write up in the NY Times saying it was a top 2 or 3 museum in country. great for kids- 200 million dollar project
http://www.perotmuseum.org/

Klyde Warren Park- adjacent to the perot museum. very cool deck park built over the freeway just opened 2 months ago. has trees and grass and tons of stuff to do. also food trucks line up all day so you can plan a great day to go to the perot then walk over and go to the park and eat.
http://www.klydewarrenpark.org/

Dallas Aquarium- very neat place, lots of things to see, not far from above two

Ft Worth- 45-50 minutes from Frisco

Downtown Sundance Square- awesome downtown area- lots of bars and restaurants and shopping

Stockyards- go have a steak and watch the cattle come in and go to Billy Bobs

Grapevine-20 minutes from frisco-

Gaylord Texan Resort- very nice resort with texas theme inside. huge train setup, wine bars, restaurants and a great sports bar. nice place to just walk around

Downtown Grapevine- very neat area, lots of wineries and shops and restaurants. you can walk everywhere.

Shopping

Frisco Stonebriar Mall- 10 minutes from stadium

Northpark Mall- 30 minutes from stadium- nicest of the bunch

Galleria- 20 minutes from stadium

Grapevine Mills Mall- this is a cool place- about 20 minutes from stadium. has a legoland and aqurium inside as well as a rainforest cafe for the kids. wife will love the mall.

Also the downtown Frisco area is actually pretty cool. lots of shops and places to eat and now they have a movie theater and across the street is a Main Event which has bowling, games, and a full bar.

Dave and Busters is also in stonebriar mall in frisco- very cool place for family

Again, hope this helps. lots to do and good thing is you can do all the outdoors stuff do because its been perfect weather. it was 77 and sunny yesterday and 75 and sunny today.

Bison"FANatic"
12-19-2012, 03:41 PM
Dang wish I could make it this year that Perotmuseum would be a must stop for us. I'll have to go there next year after the 3peat.

Kujava23
12-19-2012, 05:02 PM
forgot to add this to my food post but in case you guys have some time on friday here are a few places id recommend

with out without kids

Downtown area-30 minutes
JFK 6th floor museum

Perot museum of nature and sciene- this thing opened a month ago and ive heard its spectacular. had a write up in the NY Times saying it was a top 2 or 3 museum in country. great for kids- 200 million dollar project
http://www.perotmuseum.org/

Klyde Warren Park- adjacent to the perot museum. very cool deck park built over the freeway just opened 2 months ago. has trees and grass and tons of stuff to do. also food trucks line up all day so you can plan a great day to go to the perot then walk over and go to the park and eat.
http://www.klydewarrenpark.org/

Dallas Aquarium- very neat place, lots of things to see, not far from above two

Ft Worth- 45-50 minutes from Frisco

Downtown Sundance Square- awesome downtown area- lots of bars and restaurants and shopping

Stockyards- go have a steak and watch the cattle come in and go to Billy Bobs

Grapevine-20 minutes from frisco-

Gaylord Texan Resort- very nice resort with texas theme inside. huge train setup, wine bars, restaurants and a great sports bar. nice place to just walk around

Downtown Grapevine- very neat area, lots of wineries and shops and restaurants. you can walk everywhere.

Shopping

Frisco Stonebriar Mall- 10 minutes from stadium

Northpark Mall- 30 minutes from stadium- nicest of the bunch

Galleria- 20 minutes from stadium

Grapevine Mills Mall- this is a cool place- about 20 minutes from stadium. has a legoland and aqurium inside as well as a rainforest cafe for the kids. wife will love the mall.

Also the downtown Frisco area is actually pretty cool. lots of shops and places to eat and now they have a movie theater and across the street is a Main Event which has bowling, games, and a full bar.

Dave and Busters is also in stonebriar mall in frisco- very cool place for family

Again, hope this helps. lots to do and good thing is you can do all the outdoors stuff do because its been perfect weather. it was 77 and sunny yesterday and 75 and sunny today.

HOW FAR is COWBOYS STADIUM? and tour stadium price?

onbison09
12-19-2012, 05:06 PM
The Holocaust museum in downtown Dallas is also pretty awesome (but obviously very sad). Cowboys Stadium is probably about 40 minutes from Frisco (maybe more depending on traffic)

southcliffbison
12-19-2012, 05:26 PM
The Holocaust museum in downtown Dallas is also pretty awesome (but obviously very sad). Cowboys Stadium is probably about 40 minutes from Frisco (maybe more depending on traffic)

If I have the time (very doubtful), I'd like to see the JFK museum (Dallas School Book Depository, I think). I was in the 4th grade that fateful day in November, 1962. No, I'm not morbid; just a history buff.

onbison09
12-19-2012, 05:30 PM
If I have the time (very doubtful), I'd like to see the JFK museum (Dallas School Book Depository, I think). I was in the 4th grade that fateful day in November, 1962. No, I'm not morbid; just a history buff.

I haven't been there but I've heard it's cool

MNLonghorn10
12-19-2012, 05:55 PM
HOW FAR is COWBOYS STADIUM? and tour stadium price?
we did this last year...was about 20-30 minutes from our plano hotel and it was $17 bucks a person...very cool stadium. getta go in the locker rooms, jerrys suite, etc.

BigBison
12-19-2012, 06:27 PM
My group is going to the Stockyards and Billy Bobs friday night.

TwentyThree
12-19-2012, 06:41 PM
My group is going to the Stockyards and Billy Bobs friday night.

You will have a good time!

jimmyptubas
12-19-2012, 07:11 PM
6th floor museum is on my list right after we check into our hotel on Friday. We probably won't make it back into Dallas proper except for this time. Does anybody know what time the pep rally starts in the evening and if it's something that's worth going to?

Hammerhead
12-19-2012, 07:19 PM
The Ft. Worth Stockyards are pretty cool and you can carry your drinks outside the bars as you wander around. The street is a pedestrian plaza so it's safe for walkers except for the cattle drives down the street during the day. :)

jimmyptubas
12-19-2012, 07:42 PM
The Ft. Worth Stockyards are pretty cool and you can carry your drinks outside the bars as you wander around. The street is a pedestrian plaza so it's safe for walkers except for the cattle drives down the street during the day. :)

so there are actually cattle roaming around at this place? It's a "real" stockyard or is it a touristy place where they bring cattle through for fun.

Hammerhead
12-19-2012, 07:47 PM
It for tourists.

I missed the cattle drive, but I think it's just a dozen or so cows/steers that they walk from one end to the other although there is a rodeo arena where you might see some people riding horses. Other than that, it's souvenir shops, bars, restaurants and a couple of museums. There's also a short train ride that goes the few miles towards downtown and back. It's been decades since the livestock exchange and slaughterhouses were in use.

Tatanka
12-19-2012, 08:24 PM
6th floor museum is on my list right after we check into our hotel on Friday. We probably won't make it back into Dallas proper except for this time. Does anybody know what time the pep rally starts in the evening and if it's something that's worth going to?Pep rally start time I haven't seen yet. Is it worth going to? I'd say yes, if only to see the gong show that is Bison Pride taking over a venue... last year was just crazy.

jimmyptubas
12-19-2012, 08:47 PM
Pep rally start time I haven't seen yet. Is it worth going to? I'd say yes, if only to see the gong show that is Bison Pride taking over a venue... last year was just crazy.

I figured that would be the case but there are just so many places to eat at!!!! BAHHHH

* already found a diner in OK that i'm surely going to stop at on the way down.

Tatanka
12-19-2012, 08:48 PM
I figured that would be the case but there are just so many places to eat at!!!! BAHHHH

* already found a diner in OK that i'm surely going to stop at on the way down.Eat before you go for sure but plan to be there. You'll be amazed at how many are there.

GRAFTONBISON
12-19-2012, 08:49 PM
Eat before you go for sure but plan to be there. You'll be amazed at how many are there.

This...........

jimmyptubas
12-19-2012, 08:57 PM
This...........

I will plan on being there. Are we thinking eight or more like six? The later in the evening the better.

Tatanka
12-19-2012, 09:01 PM
I will plan on being there. Are we thinking eight or more like six? The later in the evening the better. Unless they run out of beer like last year this will go well into the evening. Bank on 7pm.

jimmyptubas
12-19-2012, 09:05 PM
Thanks for the info. I will be there.

EndZoneQB
12-19-2012, 09:25 PM
6th floor museum is on my list right after we check into our hotel on Friday. We probably won't make it back into Dallas proper except for this time. Does anybody know what time the pep rally starts in the evening and if it's something that's worth going to?

Hit up Lockhart Smokehouse when you are down that way. You won't regret it.

BigBison
12-19-2012, 10:55 PM
It for tourists.

I missed the cattle drive, but I think it's just a dozen or so cows/steers that they walk from one end to the other although there is a rodeo arena where you might see some people riding horses. Other than that, it's souvenir shops, bars, restaurants and a couple of museums. There's also a short train ride that goes the few miles towards downtown and back. It's been decades since the livestock exchange and slaughterhouses were in use.

I've been to the stockyards twice in my life. I went about 12 years ago and then last year. BUT I've never been to Billy Bobs. We got tickets to a concert, Aaron Watson is playing, Hes big country singer down there and has some great music if your into country. It should be a blast.

Jdubs21
12-19-2012, 11:55 PM
We ate at the "saltgrass sreakhouse and saloon" was right next to our hotel. Awesome food and great service

IzzyFlexion
12-19-2012, 11:59 PM

I've gushed about this museum on here more than once but it really is incredible.
Really couldn't even say anything for awhile after exiting. It's that emotionally powerful.

go_bison
12-20-2012, 12:09 AM
Whats a good golf couse in D-FW area ? We don't fly out till Monday and would like get in 18 or 36 on Sunday.

SportsLover
12-20-2012, 01:39 AM
Pep rally start time I haven't seen yet. Is it worth going to? I'd say yes, if only to see the gong show that is Bison Pride taking over a venue... last year was just crazy.

Totally agree. We didnt get to frisco till saturday morning last year but the Colorado St pep rally this year was a Great Time!

CHADSTAUS
12-20-2012, 05:08 AM

Hate to burst your bubble history buff but it was 1963 not 62.