PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions to experience the Championship Weekend

PlainsBison
12-16-2012, 03:00 PM
For those of you who attended Championship Weekend last year, please give suggestions to the Newbies.

Probably should have tickets.
Probably should have a motel room.
Probably should have a sign to stick in the ground at the Oklahoma Texas border.

Any other suggestions on what to bring, what to do, what time to show up for things (like tailgating - 6 a.m.?).

I think a lot of us would appreciate the information.

No_Skill
12-16-2012, 03:15 PM
Storming the field when we win is a must.

MNLonghorn10
12-16-2012, 03:21 PM
PM izzy about the spearmint rhino

gumby013
12-16-2012, 03:24 PM
All the official stuff is here.

http://www.ndsualumni.com/NetCommunity/Page.aspx?pid=1196

MNLonghorn10
12-16-2012, 03:43 PM
fuck. 12 PM kickoff?

roadwarrior
12-16-2012, 03:44 PM
fuck. 12 PM kickoff?

Same as last year.

MNLonghorn10
12-16-2012, 03:46 PM
Same as last year.
yea...that sucked.

tjbison
12-16-2012, 03:57 PM
For those of you who attended Championship Weekend last year, please give suggestions to the Newbies.

Probably should have a sign to stick in the ground at the Oklahoma Texas border.

Any other suggestions on what to bring, what to do, what time to show up for things (like tailgating - 6 a.m.?).

Drink beer!!

kab1one
12-16-2012, 04:25 PM
The game isn't necessarily by the hotels or where the NDSU activities are. Last year the Marriott was probably 10 miles from the field.

There are hotel options in the Plano, North Dallas Area which is to the south. I don't know what is to the north.

Shopping and restaurants are near the hotels. I know as I was checking on hotels around and near the Marriott last year are full and filling.

Tailgating was is similar to West Lot, seems like 80% of the people from Fargo moved south for the weekend. Tailgating started at 8 I believe, set up earlier. Alcohol is out in the open more, you can walk around with the beer can's versus red solo cups.

Make restaurant reservations if you plan on eating out. So you have a plan. The pep rally was fun I think in part that it was so spontaneously large and then it became more of challenge to force the hotel to find more alcohol.

Utilize trip advisor for tips and things to do and eat in the area. That is how we found Bob Chop Shop. A fabulous steak. Expensive but good.

Take in the events. there is time to get to them all. At the game site, the NCAA has a "game day experience" set up so there is family events aside from tailgating.

The stadium is nice. It a bowl, about 30 rows of seats, you walk around the top, down to the seats. No bad seats in my opinion.

Swaghook
12-16-2012, 04:27 PM
Take a leak on the Welcome to IOWA sign. ;p

kab1one
12-16-2012, 04:28 PM
Take a leak on the Welcome to IOWA sign. ;p

If you are driving read "live from the Battlewagon" thread in the HOF.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
12-16-2012, 04:32 PM
fuck. 12 PM kickoff?

Beats 12 am :)

BisonTeacher
12-16-2012, 05:13 PM
If any veterans from last yea. Have some bar n restaurant recommendations...would be appreciated. I think were in plano as well.

IzzyFlexion
12-16-2012, 05:23 PM
If any veterans from last yea. Have some bar n restaurant recommendations...would be appreciated. I think were in plano as well.

3rd Base Sports Bar, 3rd Base Sports Bar, and 3rd Base Sports Bar.
And if you get time.........3rd Base Sports Bar.

kab1one
12-16-2012, 05:25 PM
3rd Base Sports Bar, 3rd Base Sports Bar, and 3rd Base Sports Bar.
And if you get time.........3rd Base Sports Bar. It that the one like "Twin Peaks" or "the tilted kilt" Both are good if you need a break from 3rd base for variety.

Bob's Chop Shop if you want to spend 50-60 bucks on a steak. It was worth it.

56BISON73
12-16-2012, 05:26 PM

Eat at Fogo de Choa and Razzoos

IzzyFlexion
12-16-2012, 05:28 PM
It that the one like "Twin Peaks" or "the tilted kilt" Both are good if you need a break from 3rd base for variety.

Tilted Kilt is also fabulous and kicks ass. Except for the one in Rockford. The girls are big enough and mean enough there that the only ass kickin' could be yours if you're caught staring at the sexy outfits for too long.

Swaghook
12-16-2012, 05:53 PM
Eat at Fogo de Choa

Bring a fat wallet and an empty stomach and you will leave with a full stomach and an empty wallet.:hungry::biggrin:

bri-dog
12-16-2012, 06:04 PM
Damn, this is gonna be a looonnnnngggg three weeks...

56BISON73
12-16-2012, 06:07 PM
Bring a fat wallet and an empty stomach and you will leave with a full stomach and an empty wallet.:hungry::biggrin:

Go for lunch its much cheaper and its the same food.

IzzyFlexion
12-16-2012, 06:09 PM
The West End Marketplace in Dallas is outstanding. Lots to see and do and great places to eat.
http://www.dallaswestend.org/

Last season I suggested the 6th Floor Museum as well. If you love learning about the history and the conspiracy theories surrounding the JFK assasination at Dallas' Dealey Plaza, this is a MUST. An incredible experience!

http://www.jfk.org/

daddy daycare
12-16-2012, 06:58 PM
Regarding the Bison and the game:

Find time for the Friday night event. An insane amount of Bison pride on display. Tailgate. And when the players are getting off the busses, get your ass over there with beer in hand. I will never forget the "Let's go Bison" chant as SHSU was getting off the bus. Bring a flask.

Regarding Dallas:

Last year on Sunday we did the JFK museum and it was cool. Budget a couple of hours. And anytime I'm in Dallas we eat at a joint called III Forks. Expensive, but ridiculously good.

IndyBison
12-16-2012, 07:19 PM
It looks like the Plano Centre is much further from the stadium than the Mariott. It should be better simply due to more space. It doesn't appear there are any hotels very close so if you can't get one within walking distance of the stadium go wherever you can afford in the Plano/Frisco/The Colony/McKinney area. You'll be driving to the Friday event anyway. On Saturday you can park and spend almost the entire day around the stadium if you want. We hung at Burger Girl after the game. The food was good and we created our own dance floor for most of the evening. It looks like there will be an informal gathering of the Plano Legacy Shops which is near the Marriott. I would guess all those places will be full of Bison fans.

NDSUBowler
12-16-2012, 07:41 PM
It that the one like "Twin Peaks" or "the tilted kilt" Both are good if you need a break from 3rd base for variety.

Redneck Heaven by those places.

If you tell the waitresses at RH (who wear lingere or swimsuits) its your birthday, you get a spanking. Its my birthday every time I go in there

They also hae a great grilled cheese hamburger, tons of tvs, and shots with minnows in them.

LOVE that place!!!!

NDSUBowler
12-16-2012, 07:42 PM
Other than that... 3rd Base!!!!!

onbison09
12-16-2012, 08:15 PM

Pluckers is an awesome sports bar. Not sure where you're at in Plano. Third base is awesome sports bar as well. As far as restaurants in Plano I would recommend Saltgrass

onbison09
12-16-2012, 08:16 PM
It looks like the Plano Centre is much further from the stadium than the Mariott. It should be better simply due to more space. It doesn't appear there are any hotels very close so if you can't get one within walking distance of the stadium go wherever you can afford in the Plano/Frisco/The Colony/McKinney area. You'll be driving to the Friday event anyway. On Saturday you can park and spend almost the entire day around the stadium if you want. We hung at Burger Girl after the game. The food was good and we created our own dance floor for most of the evening. It looks like there will be an informal gathering of the Plano Legacy Shops which is near the Marriott. I would guess all those places will be full of Bison fans.

Yeah the Plano Center is a bit of a drive from there. Probably about 10 or 15 minutes. But space shouldn't be a problem.

HerdBot
12-16-2012, 08:16 PM
Regarding the Bison and the game:

Find time for the Friday night event. An insane amount of Bison pride on display. Tailgate. And when the players are getting off the busses, get your ass over there with beer in hand. I will never forget the "Let's go Bison" chant as SHSU was getting off the bus. Bring a flask.

Regarding Dallas:

Last year on Sunday we did the JFK museum and it was cool. Budget a couple of hours. And anytime I'm in Dallas we eat at a joint called III Forks. Expensive, but ridiculously good.

Are you talking about when they get off the bus to the hotel? When is that?

onbison09
12-16-2012, 08:17 PM

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Twin Peaks

IndyBison
12-16-2012, 08:27 PM
Are you talking about when they get off the bus to the hotel? When is that?

It's at the stadium before the game. Both teams walk from their bus to the stadium. I'm guessing it was around 9:30 or 10:00.

HerdBot
12-16-2012, 08:29 PM
It's at the stadium before the game. Both teams walk from their bus to the stadium. I'm guessing it was around 9:30 or 10:00.

Saw that on tv. Looked badass and gave me chills

1998braves64
12-16-2012, 08:46 PM

Since NDSU is the visiting team does that mean they will be first? The walk to the stadium started at about 9:30 for sam houston and about 9:45 for NDSU, guessing it will be flipped this year due to the switching of home and visiting sides also. don't miss it! Was an awesome experience!

daddy daycare
12-16-2012, 09:28 PM
SHSU walked through a tunnel of Bison fans and about 10 Bearkat fans as we chanted "let's go Bison". It was awesome.

IndyBison
12-16-2012, 10:18 PM
SHSU walked through a tunnel of Bison fans and about 10 Bearkat fans as we chanted "let's go Bison". It was awesome.

It wasn't as convenient for them since they were on the other side of the stadium.

A1pigskin
12-16-2012, 10:53 PM
I will have a four year old with me.

CAS4127
12-16-2012, 10:57 PM
There will someone from the Frisco Chamber that will post on here and give us names of places to go/of interest, etc. at least they did that last year, so assuming same this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammerhead
12-16-2012, 11:10 PM

Watching the teams walk from the busses to the stadium was awesome.

http://www.bisonville.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2440&d=1355702975

A1pigskin
12-16-2012, 11:13 PM
Holiday Inn Express in Plano has rooms available. It's rated as a 5 star. Did anyone stay there last year.

gumby013
12-16-2012, 11:24 PM

The Bison Walk is a must. It will be tougher this year with tailgating on the other side of the stadium.

kab1one
12-16-2012, 11:41 PM
Which side are the bison seats on this year? Will they be on the opposite side since bison are the 1 seed?

kab1one
12-16-2012, 11:43 PM
Cowboy Staduim tour. Cotton Bowl is Friday night, so it wasn't open last year on Friday, but that is worth the Trip.

West End in Down Town Dallas. You can make a day of it in Downtown Dallas with the JFK history, then go over to West End for Bars and Eating.

Good entertainment with the clubs as well. I would expect a lot going on since the town will have a lot of people there due to the cotton bowl.

Downtown is probably 30 miles from Plano/Frisco.

1bizon1
12-17-2012, 12:14 AM
DO NOT get exceeding the speed limit in Iowa!

gumby013
12-17-2012, 12:17 AM
Brisket

Fried Okra

Sweet Tea

Repeat

Tatanka
12-17-2012, 12:38 AM
Which side are the bison seats on this year? Will they be on the opposite side since bison are the 1 seed?has nothing to do with seed, its a coin flip. And yes, the bison are on the other side and are the visiting team this year. A technicality to be sure because it will be a bison home game.

1998braves64
12-17-2012, 03:13 PM

Watching the teams walk from the busses to the stadium was awesome.

http://www.bisonville.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2440&d=1355702975

Dang Hammerhead now there is a pic of me on bisonville....

UncleBuck
12-17-2012, 03:26 PM
You must go to the other side of the stadium (this year) and greet the team. I heard a Sam Houston State player say, 'Where are our fans?' when he had to walk through the gauntlet of Bison fans.

SUPPORT THE TEAM and MAKE THE WALK!

Also, I heard one of the handful of Sam Houston State fans, after watching the Bison head into the stadium, say to her husband, 'All their players are big!'

Honeybooboo
12-17-2012, 03:28 PM
You must go to the other side of the stadium (this year) and greet the team. I heard a Sam Houston State player say, 'Where are our fans?' when he had to walk through the gauntlet of Bison fans.

SUPPORT THE TEAM and MAKE THE WALK!

Also, I heard one of the handful of Sam Houston State fans, after watching the Bison head into the stadium, say to her husband, 'All their players are big!'

I heard lots crying after the game

BismarckBisonFan
12-17-2012, 03:30 PM
How is the cab service in the area? Flying into Dallas Friday late afternoon. Looking at staying in Plano. Hoping to cab it from airport to Plano and to Pep Rally Friday night. Sat. morning to Frisco. Don't really want to rent a car and stay sober etc. to drive. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

CAS4127
12-17-2012, 03:34 PM
How is the cab service in the area? Flying into Dallas Friday late afternoon. Looking at staying in Plano. Hoping to cab it from airport to Plano and to Pep Rally Friday night. Sat. morning to Frisco. Don't really want to rent a car and stay sober etc. to drive. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I emailed Sherri at the Alumni Association about this. Here is her response:

Hi Charlie – Thank you for yourmessage…and yes, you are right on target.
We have been talking with the CVBabout taxi service.
Our great challenge is that sinceTexas A and M and Oklahoma are in the Cotton Bowl that same weekend… they arealso snatching up many services.
Thanks and Go Bison!
Sherri

Sherri Schmidt // Associate Executive Director
p: 701.231.6810 // f: 701.231.6801

North Dakota State University AlumniAssociation
1241 University Drive North // Fargo, ND 58102
sherri@ndsualumni.com (sherri@ndsualumni.com)// www.ndsualumni.com (http://www.ndsualumni.com/)

(http://www.facebook.com/ndsu.fargo) (http://twitter.com/#!/NDSUNews) (http://www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=137543&trk=hb_side_g) (http://www.ndsu.edu/rss/) (http://maps.google.com/maps?q=ndsu+alumni+association+loc:+1241+N.+Univer sity+Drive.+Fargo,+ND+58102&hl=en&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=43.713406,95.537109&vpsrc=0&hq=ndsu+alumni+association&hnear=1241+N+University+Dr,+Fargo,+North+Dakota+58 102&t=m&z=16)

Sent: Monday, December 17, 201210:06 AM
To: Sherri Schmidt
Subject: Frisco

Sherri:Saw that you are the NDSU liaison with Frisco. Just thought I would email oneof my thoughts. Last year, taxi service in and around Frisco/Plano was somewhatspotty. Is this an issue you can bring up with Frisco/Plano Chambers so theycan make contact with taxi services in the area to let them know they may wanthave more taxi’s on call from the 4th through the 7th?