PDA

View Full Version : We would've hosted James Madison on Saturday.

TheBisonator
11-20-2006, 06:34 PM
One year before we announced out move to DI, the NCAA increased the DI transition period from 2 years to 5 years. Dr. Chapman was already in place as prez at that time. He already had the vision to move DI. He made it perfectly clear shortly after he started in 1999. He had it all laid out: "Academics, Athletics, Research." But I'm not sure if Entzion was still AD in 2001.

The point is, that if we started a DI study in late 1999 or early 2000 instead of early 2001, and if we had our exploratory year be the 2001-02 season, we would have been fully DI-playoff eligible by July, 2003. We would have been one of the last schools in the NCAA to take advantage of the 2-year rule along with Binghamton and Lipscomb.

In 2002, the bullshit rule took effect. We started the transition one year later.

Hook. Line. Sinker.

I'm not even talking about a move that SHOULD have been made in the late 70's, or the 80's, or even the early 90's!!! I'm talking about a move that could have started in 2001.

Conclusion: We would have been playing James Madison on Saturday at the Fargodome as a #4 seed if we acted just a little sooner.

NDSUFREAK10
11-20-2006, 06:36 PM
NOW THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN A GOOD GAME!

NDSUstudent
11-20-2006, 06:45 PM
Nope, we would have hosted Montana St. I don't know how in the hell they got a home game but if NDSU would have been in the playoffs the NCAA would have sent them to Fargo. I also would bet NDSU would have been a 3 seed, attendance would have carried us past UMASS as far as the seeds go.

WYOBISONMAN
11-20-2006, 07:18 PM
I suspect Montana State got the home game because they bid more than Furman.

Bisonguy
11-21-2006, 01:09 AM
Yes, it's a bid process, not just a 'minimum' bid, as DII changed to.

There have been a few examples of schools recently that did not bid for I-AA playoff games, even though they were the higher seed.