PDA

View Full Version : Big East to break up????

NDSUstudent
12-13-2012, 05:19 AM
Sounds like the basketball schools have had about enough....

The presidents of the Big East's seven Catholic, non-Football Bowl Subdivision schools are expected to decide on their future in the Big East in the coming days and it "would be an upset" if they remained in the league, sources told ESPN.

The presidents of the seven schools are scheduled to conduct a teleconference with Big East commissioner Mike Aresco on Thursday and are expected to issue a statement on their schools' future in the next 24 to 48 hours.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/8742607/seven-catholic-schools-leaning-leaving-big-east-sources-say

TbonZach
12-13-2012, 06:06 AM
Sounds like the basketball schools have had about enough....

Linky? 10 char

NDSUstudent
12-13-2012, 06:17 AM
Link added...

tjbison
12-13-2012, 12:23 PM
Hmm.....perfect new conference for Creighton

DePereBisonFan
12-13-2012, 02:00 PM
Hmm.....perfect new conference for Creighton

which would open up a spot in the MVC for us...

Tatanka
12-13-2012, 02:07 PM
which would open up a spot in the MVC for SDSU...:hide: just sayin'.

IndyBison
12-13-2012, 02:09 PM
That would be a solid high mid-major basketball conference. If it results in getting the Big East out of the BCS I'm all for it. UConn, USF, and Cincinnati would be interesting candidates for other conferences.

riceweb
12-13-2012, 02:41 PM
:cheers::cheers::cheers:

MVC partay after Creighton joins the new conference (this is pure conjecture at this point, but it's been rumored).

Way too early questions: would SDSU also be invited and might the MVC start sponsoring football? I think Wichita St needs their team back :)

Lots of possibilities from this domino falling.

BisonAccountant44
12-13-2012, 03:16 PM
Would Creighton leaving the MVC alone realistically give us a shot at getting in right now? I doubt it. I think we'd need the new Catholic league to take Creighton plus at least one of the other private schools in the MVC moving on as well to have a shot to see some real movement, and even then it's a huge long shot.

Tatanka
12-13-2012, 03:41 PM
Would Creighton leaving the MVC alone realistically give us a shot at getting in right now? I doubt it. I think we'd need the new Catholic league to take Creighton plus at least one of the other private schools in the MVC moving on as well to have a shot to see some real movement, and even then it's a huge long shot.NDSU wouldn't be the MVCs first target IMHO. If they take anyone from teh Summit it would be SDSU.

BisonAccountant44
12-13-2012, 03:48 PM
NDSU wouldn't be the MVCs first target IMHO. If they take anyone from teh Summit it would be SDSU.

Exactly why we'd need more than just Creighton to leave to have any kind of shot at it. :)

Finishing the damn BSA would help too.

KSBisonFan
12-13-2012, 04:04 PM
:cheers::cheers::cheers:

MVC partay after Creighton joins the new conference (this is pure conjecture at this point, but it's been rumored).

Way too early questions: would SDSU also be invited and might the MVC start sponsoring football? I think Wichita St needs their team back :)

Lots of possibilities from this domino falling.

Wichita State is trying to get organized football going again....starting with a club team. Long way to go.

http://www.ksn.com/news/local/story/Wichita-State-University-Football-is-back/jjdCwosNW0SD9dMdx_XCEw.cspx

http://www.bizjournals.com/wichita/morning_call/2012/05/wichita-state-football-returns-with.html

JSUBison
12-13-2012, 04:47 PM
I'm glad some of these non FBS playing schools are starting to fight back against these moves and being a little proactive on their own. And also, if anyone gets invited from the summit to join the MVC it sure isn't going to be SDSU. Maybe Denver, but proabably would be Omaha. All about televisions remember!

NDSUstudent
12-13-2012, 04:49 PM
Stick a fork in the Big East...it is done....

The Big East Conference, the only to send three teams to a Final Four, will announce Thursday that its non-FBS programs are splitting from their brethren, sources told The Post.

The presidents of the seven schools that don’t play big time football - DePaul, Georgetown, Marquette, Providence Seton Hall, St. John’s and Villanova - are holding a teleconference with Big East Commissioner Mike Aresco Thursday and expected to issue a statement this afternoon saying that are parting ways.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/college/basketball/big_east_basketball_only_schools_c2PMii2vTg8twF80U S3G6H

goyotes
12-13-2012, 06:18 PM
If Creighton leaves the MVC, by the time the smoke clears a couple of MVC teams will end up in the MAC and the MVC, Horizon & Summit leagues will combine to form 2 leagues. UND will be reunited with the other Dakota's including football in the revamped MVFC.

Herd
12-13-2012, 07:17 PM
You also have UNI who says they want to play in the FBS. If they were to get a MAC invite, they might jump for all sports vacating another spot in the MVC.

IzzyFlexion
12-14-2012, 01:41 AM
You also have UNI who says they want to play in the FBS. If they were to get a MAC invite, they might jump for all sports vacating another spot in the MVC.

They don't have the resources for that do they?

NDSUstudent
12-14-2012, 02:08 AM
Well sounds like Xavier and Butler are already joining the Catholic 7.....

The Golden Eagles will join six other former members of the Big East: Georgetown, St. John's, Providence, DePaul, Seton Hall and Villanova. Butler and Xavier will leave the Atlantic 10 to join the new unnamed league.

Creighton, Virginia Commonwealth, Dayton or St. Louis could become the 10th team, or the conference could begin play with 12 teams if three schools vying for the 10th spot are all worthy candidates.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/goldeneagles/bigeast14-d7815om-183439151.html

NDSUstudent
12-14-2012, 02:09 AM
This thing could really shake up the mid-major leagues....

Bison bison
12-14-2012, 02:10 AM
fun.

what other schools could the big east basketball league add?

creighton, xavier, saint louis

and then what?

NDSUstudent
12-14-2012, 02:22 AM
fun.

and then what?

Well do they want to keep it all Catholic? They already added Xavier and Butler apparently may as well bring in Dayton, Creighton and St. Louis to make it an even 12. Not sure who they could add if they want to go to 16.

IndyBison
12-14-2012, 02:30 AM
Wow...Butler leaving the A10 already. They are not a Catholic school so they will be the odd one out there but academically they fit with all these schools. The caliber of teams playing in Hinkle Fieldhouse has gone up tremendously. I'm curious to see what kinds of crowds the conference will get for their tournament in Bankers Life Fieldhouse. The Big Ten couldn't sell it out and they have a lot of large schools mostly close to Indy. These schools are much more spread out. I think it's a good move for Butler though.

NDSUstudent
12-14-2012, 02:38 AM
Yeah if true Butler is a big winner in this whole realignment kerfuffle, that league will be very good and very stable.

Bison bison
12-14-2012, 02:47 AM
Rumor/thought - add Gonzaga and St. Mary's.

zooropa
12-14-2012, 04:38 AM
I think it's worth mentioning the Summit League as, potentially, a winner in all this realignment kerfuffle.

The five schools lost since 2005 (the league had no membership changes from '98 to '05): Southern Utah, Centenary, Chicago State, Oral Roberts and Valparaiso.

The six schools gained since 2005: IPFW, NDSU, SDSU then USD, UNO and Denver. Even with the loss of ORU, that's a significant upgrade.

Given the sizable number of D-1 independents, it's in no way certain that the Summit would've upped its profile and tightened its footprint over the last 8 years. What if the Summit added Utah Valley? CSU-Bakersfield? UTPA? Houston Baptist? NJIT? What if they readmitted Chicago State?

What if they adopted the Big East model of 'expand before being raided'? or the WAC model of 'do nothing at all while you're losing members'?

Frankly, I think the assorted presidents and Douple deserve a pat on the back for making the best of this churn.

Bison bison
12-14-2012, 02:02 PM
this.

douple has done a masterful job of building the conference.

dragonsfan
12-14-2012, 03:11 PM
if creighton and st louis bolt for the catholic east, that makes room for ndsu & sdsu to the missouri valley, absolute best scenario.

ndsubison1
12-14-2012, 03:12 PM
fun.

and then what?

university of mary?

The_Sicatoka
12-14-2012, 03:46 PM
Why not the University of St. Thomas in St. Paul?

A lot of folks say they are primed to make a move to DI. They'd probably drop football if they went DI but they'd bring the MSP television market with them. They'd fit nicely into a New Catholic East West Division.

zooropa
12-14-2012, 05:14 PM
I would guess that Creighton has minimal interest in joining the BE2. The closest school would be DePaul, practically on the shore of Lake Michigan.

And the Valley has minimal interest in either xDSU. Even if they were to lose one or two teams, don't let the conference name fool you. The center of that conference is in Illinois, and I would not give the xDSUs a stronger case than SLU, Butler, etc.

I don't see the BE2 being even remotely interested in a transitioning team from St. Paul either. Except, maybe, DePaul. Because then they wouldn't always finish last. If St. Thomas moves up and drops football, they'll almost certainly end up in the Summit.

NDSUstudent
12-14-2012, 06:07 PM
I think if offered Creighton wouldn't even think twice about it, they'd be gone. That league would be as good as it is going to get for Creighton and would be top 5 in college basketball. If Creighton is added that means St Louis and Butler are also probably in so the geography wouldn't be that bad. While there would be more travel costs there would be more TV money to compensate for that.

If Creighton left the MVC things could get interesting.

zooropa
12-14-2012, 06:42 PM
I think if offered Creighton wouldn't even think twice about it, they'd be gone.

Join a conference that stretches all the way to Providence, Rhode Island, with the idea that TV money will pay for all that extra travel for the softball and soccer teams? Yeah, I don't think so.

Further, if the BE2 is going to make such a big deal about Catholicism, then why not invite Gonzaga? Or St. Mary's? Or Loyola-Chicago? Or Detroit-Mercy?

NDSUguy
12-14-2012, 07:59 PM
zooropa..... First off, Creighton is flush with money. I think that you are underestimating the money involved with the NCAA tournament. If this league came together today (including Creighton and others), every one of those teams would be in the top100 in RPI. This would essentially mean that MOST of the schools would make it to the NCAA tournament. The amount of money that would annually be given out from the tournament (not to mention the HUGE TV deal that this conference would garner) would ABSOLUTELY pay for flights for the handful of games each year where the teams would have to fly east.

With realignment, location is NO longer a factor on becoming part of a conference. You gotta remember that these people are first and foremost business men who are looking to make some money. Do you think that realignement would be this crazy if they money didn't back up their decisions???? I doubt it. It's all about the cash homey.

Grizzled
12-14-2012, 08:39 PM
I'm going to predict that the Summit League is not going to look the same one this all plays out. It is going to lose at least one team, possibly two, three. I'd put Denver and Omaha at the top of my "most likely to be gone lists".

zooropa
12-14-2012, 09:27 PM
zooropa..... First off, Creighton is flush with money. I think that you are underestimating the money involved with the NCAA tournament. If this league came together today (including Creighton and others), every one of those teams would be in the top100 in RPI. This would essentially mean that MOST of the schools would make it to the NCAA tournament. The amount of money that would annually be given out from the tournament (not to mention the HUGE TV deal that this conference would garner) would ABSOLUTELY pay for flights for the handful of games each year where the teams would have to fly east.

With realignment, location is NO longer a factor on becoming part of a conference. You gotta remember that these people are first and foremost business men who are looking to make some money. Do you think that realignement would be this crazy if they money didn't back up their decisions???? I doubt it. It's all about the cash homey.

If travel is no obstacle, then why not Gonzaga?

Further, what cash considerations support the Big East's invitation of Navy, San Diego State and Tulane? They did it to keep a spot in the BCS, but that didn't work, and now the BCS is being side-tracked, and they doled out a comparatively small amount of TV money anyway (reported $2M vs. $25M in the Big Ten).

And, as they say, Creighton didn't get that money by spending it frivolously.

zooropa
12-14-2012, 09:28 PM
I'm going to predict that the Summit League is not going to look the same one this all plays out. It is going to lose at least one team, possibly two, three. I'd put Denver and Omaha at the top of my "most likely to be gone lists".
Really? Where's Omaha going to go? The MVC?

DePereBisonFan
12-14-2012, 09:39 PM
I think it's worth mentioning the Summit League as, potentially, a winner in all this realignment kerfuffle.

The five schools lost since 2005 (the league had no membership changes from '98 to '05): Southern Utah, Centenary, Chicago State, Oral Roberts and Valparaiso.

The six schools gained since 2005: IPFW, NDSU, SDSU then USD, UNO and Denver. Even with the loss of ORU, that's a significant upgrade.

Given the sizable number of D-1 independents, it's in no way certain that the Summit would've upped its profile and tightened its footprint over the last 8 years. What if the Summit added Utah Valley? CSU-Bakersfield? UTPA? Houston Baptist? NJIT? What if they readmitted Chicago State?

What if they adopted the Big East model of 'expand before being raided'? or the WAC model of 'do nothing at all while you're losing members'?

Frankly, I think the assorted presidents and Douple deserve a pat on the back for making the best of this churn.

Reps. It hasn't been pretty, and it's not done yet, but right now you are spot on.

NDSUstudent
12-15-2012, 06:10 AM
Join a conference that stretches all the way to Providence, Rhode Island, with the idea that TV money will pay for all that extra travel for the softball and soccer teams? Yeah, I don't think so.

Further, if the BE2 is going to make such a big deal about Catholicism, then why not invite Gonzaga? Or St. Mary's? Or Loyola-Chicago? Or Detroit-Mercy?

Zoopora if they can play hoops with Marquette, G-Town and Nova then they are gone, They'll make the travel work. The MVC is great but that league is just to good to pass up, it would be like Rutgers saying no to the Big 10. Not going to happen.

Gonzaga might still be an option but I have doubts since they have no real travel partner and it puts them way out on island. Adding Creighton, Butler and St Louis does make sense to go along with Marquette and Depaul...it's a nice Midwestern group of private schools.

NDSUstudent
12-15-2012, 06:12 AM

I have doubts about either(especially Denver whose only other home is the WCC)...Oakland though is a very real possibility.

zooropa
12-15-2012, 05:36 PM
Gonzaga might still be an option but I have doubts since they have no real travel partner and it puts them way out on island.

You can say all those things about Creighton as well, which is pretty much my point. If travel is no issue and travel partners are not an issue, then why not St. Mary's?

NDSUstudent
12-15-2012, 05:49 PM
You can say all those things about Creighton as well, which is pretty much my point. If travel is no issue and travel partners are not an issue, then why not St. Mary's?

Because you are stretching four time zones as a conference, Omaha is in the Midwest and in the same region as four or five other schools that may be in the conference. Not really comparable situations.

Eastern
Gtown
St. John's
Villanova
Seton Hall
Providence
Dayton

Midwest
DePaul
Marquette
Creighton
Butler
Xavier
St. Louis

Grizzled
12-18-2012, 04:27 PM
Really? Where's Omaha going to go? The MVC?

I don't know. You don't know. You had no idea Boise St. was going be in the Big East and Big West a year ago. No one could have predicted the 7 Catholic schools were going to form thier own league a year ago. The only constant in all this is TV sets, population and recruiting ground has played a bigger role in all of the shuffling than past or current performance. That is why I look at Denver and Omaha being more valuable than NDSU and Oakland. Also, every school is looking out for their best interests, not the good of the current league they are in.

1998braves64
12-19-2012, 12:42 AM
Sorry I got lost in this thread, just curious is the Big East gone/folded or just less in the league?

What I gather the privates are out? So who is left in Big East? and where are the private schools going forming their own conference?

So does this affect their football plans with Boise (guessing minimally since they're all non football programs?) Isn't Louisville leaving Big East soon?

Someone give me cliffs notes?! :)

NDSUstudent
12-19-2012, 12:52 AM
Gtown, St. John's, Villanova, Seton Hall, Providence, DePaul, Marquette left to form their own conference, last I heard they want 10 teams.

that leaves the Big East with this....

uconn, temple, cincy, ECU, USF, UCF, memphis, Tulane, smu, houston

football only: sd state, boise, navy

unbison
12-19-2012, 12:53 AM
Looks like it leaves them with 8 basketball schools ..... Syracuse already leaving for the acc

344Johnson
12-21-2012, 07:00 AM
Speaking of the Big LEast, I watched the second half of the San Diego County Community Credit Union Poinsettia Bowl between BYU and San Diego State, real fun if you wanted to watch defense. Combined 8 turnovers I believe. No offensive touchdowns until midway into the fourth. BYU won.

NDSUstudent
12-31-2012, 06:58 PM
Common sense prevails....Boise State will stay in the MWC....

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/8796807/boise-state-broncos-staying-mountain-west-conference-sources-say

riceweb
12-31-2012, 08:39 PM
This is huge for the MWC, and the new bonus provisions may lure BYU back into the MWC along with SDSU. BYU will probably see the bonuses, which are paid out every time a team is featured in a national broadcast, as a reason to end their trial run as an Indy.

reformedUNDfan
12-31-2012, 10:57 PM
MWC is an outstanding conference in BB and FB, if NDSU ever decides to leave the summit, that should be the target.

344Johnson
01-01-2013, 06:39 AM
MWC is an outstanding conference in BB and FB, if NDSU ever decides to leave the summit, that should be the target.

If the MWC is ever looking at NDSU as a potential member, it is probably no longer an outstanding conference.

marenlee
01-03-2013, 02:23 AM

Imagine how the MWC would be if they still had Utah and TCU. But I like where they're going now with Boise staying and hopefully SDSU makes the smart decision and abandons the Big East. Hopefully we'll see more MWC games on TV with a bigger contract. Or will it be CBS sports network games? Ugh.

NDSUstudent
02-28-2013, 10:39 PM
Butler and Xavier to form new Big East with the Catholic 7 starting next year...This will have large implications across the mid-major landscape....

The Big East's seven departing Catholic schools are expected to start their own league next season and will keep the Big East Conference name, sources told ESPN's Brett McMurphy, Andy Katz and Dana O'Neil.

Joining the Catholic 7 schools -- DePaul, Georgetown, Marquette, Providence, St. John's, Seton Hall, and Villanova -- in the new "Big East" this fall will be Xavier and Butler, sources said.

Xavier and Butler have not formally withdrawn from the Atlantic 10. To exit the A-10 with less than a year's notice would cost each school $2 million, Katz reported.

While Butler, Xavier and a team yet to be determined are expected to join the new Big East this fall, the Catholic 7 schools are also expected to add Creighton, Dayton and St. Louis in 2014 for a 13-team league.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/9000502/catholic-7-schools-keep-big-east-name-new-league-next-season-according-sources

NDSUstudent
02-28-2013, 10:54 PM
I hope GT is prepared for the realignment that is to come....

Honeybooboo
02-28-2013, 11:21 PM
I hope GT is prepared for the realignment that is to come....

Ths could be good, or really really bad for NDSU

SHAC needs to get started

North Side
02-28-2013, 11:25 PM
Is the MVC without Crieghton really that much of a step up from the Summit? I kind of like what he have going with the Summit.

NDSUstudent
02-28-2013, 11:27 PM
Is the MVC without Crieghton really that much of a step up from the Summit? I kind of like what he have going with the Summit.

The MVC is about 100,000 times better. I just hope we can get in....I fear Oakland is gone no matter what as far as the Summit is concerned.

heckler
02-28-2013, 11:40 PM

Lol you serious?

Honeybooboo
03-01-2013, 12:59 AM

You really must not follow basketball?

The Summit is terrible compared to the mvc

DIBISON
03-01-2013, 01:20 AM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/college/ct-spt-0301-big-east-catholic-7--20130301,0,5008171.story

"The new league is expected to take much more care in which schools it selects after that."

North Side
03-01-2013, 06:29 AM
RPI of top 3 schools in each league, just interesting to look at...

Summit with Denver
Denver 74
SDSU 76
NDSU 83

MVC without Creighton
Wichita St. 39
ISU 70
UNI 82

bisonaudit
03-01-2013, 02:27 PM
Creighton the the new Big East is not a done deal. Some of the 7 are concerned about the geography and non-revenue sports. Ultimately basketball considerations my well win out but, at least currently there's some internal disagreement about whether or not to invite Creighton.

DePereBisonFan
03-07-2013, 07:54 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/9028021/big-east-eyes-america-12-new-conference-name-football-schools-sources-say

Dumb name. I don't know why any new conference would want to add a number to its name, with how frequently conference changes are occuring. Also, are they going with "America" because most of the schools there now came from Conference USA? From USA...to America!

:facepalm:

tony
03-07-2013, 08:11 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/9028021/big-east-eyes-america-12-new-conference-name-football-schools-sources-say

Dumb name. I don't know why any new conference would want to add a number to its name, with how frequently conference changes are occuring. Also, are they going with "America" because most of the schools there now came from Conference USA? From USA...to America!

Exactly.

If they are going to put a number in their name, it should be something far removed from the number of teams that they had for four months in 2014. Want a number in the conference name? Go with something like Power Conference 9000.

Most of these conferences should go with version numbers.

IzzyFlexion
03-07-2013, 11:05 PM

Probably just leavin' the door open for the sole Canadian school in the big sky. Clearly, they're on the short list of future invitees.

Grizzled
03-08-2013, 12:51 AM
Exactly.

If they are going to put a number in their name, it should be something far removed from the number of teams that they had for four months in 2014. Want a number in the conference name? Go with something like Power Conference 9000.

Most of these conferences should go with version numbers.

Haha, Big East '14. They can than make running changes.

JSUBison
03-08-2013, 01:05 AM
Not a good decision, they had a chance to stand out with a unique conference name. I guess they forgot there is an America East conference already. Good job guys, that won't confuse anyone. Unimaginative and boring, and zero thought to marketing. That would be like if a new conference was formed in the midwest and they called it the Horizon 8. What a blunder, reminds me of that new hockey conference that was formed with the WCHA castoffs. "College Hockey Conference" or something bland like that.

DePereBisonFan
03-08-2013, 01:54 AM
The states are primarily out East, which was settled first by the Europeans which then we eventually broke away from - so maybe something like the "Revolution States Conference" ? I think it has a nice ring to it.

NDSUstudent
03-27-2013, 12:01 AM
Tulsa and ECU will join the Big East football schools in 2014 as all-sports members.

https://twitter.com/mcmurphyespn/status/316629376806572034

NDSUstudent
03-30-2013, 05:38 PM
In the the never ending conference realignment saga WKU will move to CUSA next week...

Western Kentucky's athletic programs have been invited to join Conference USA, multiple sources confirmed today. The school has accepted the invitation and an official announcement is expected as soon as Monday.

The Hilltoppers will begin competing in the league in 2014.

http://www.bgdailynews.com/sports/western-kentucky-to-announce-move-to-conference-usa/article_2ccca37c-9946-11e2-a994-0019bb2963f4.html

tjbison
03-30-2013, 07:57 PM
In the the never ending conference realignment saga WKU will move to CUSA next week...

http://www.bgdailynews.com/sports/western-kentucky-to-announce-move-to-conference-usa/article_2ccca37c-9946-11e2-a994-0019bb2963f4.html

sun belt and C USA adding anyone with a pulse to stay afloat?

NDSUstudent
04-03-2013, 10:48 PM
The Big East football schools are going to call themselves the American Athletic Conference.....

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/9130997/sources-former-big-east-named-american-athletic-conference

ndsubison1
02-03-2014, 07:50 AM

good call. lol