PDA

View Full Version : Gsu triple option

X-Factor
12-09-2012, 01:06 PM
While everyone else is either jumping up and down in fits of joy or scorning the Friday night spotlight game, I thought we could have a thread that discusses what is more important given road's early announcement: How to stop gsu

I love the exposure, but Friday makes me a little concerned for the team. An extra day to prepare for the gsu style option would have been nice and more beneficial for us than them. They are different than woff, and different than gsu last year. Fortunately, i think the woff game will prove a huge stepping stone for preparation. They were able to try out some different formations and assignments that may play into their gameplan on Friday. So with that said, the defense isnt starting the week with a blank slate. They have last years Picasso and this year's Rembrandt.

I think the coaches will have a gameplan that can turn the gsu triple option (TO) into the gsu turnover offense (TO). You saw glimpses of it last night with that incredible punchout. The coaches saw a weakness and clearly exploited it! The only question is execution! Ollman and Dudzik have a lot of weight on their shoulders. Fortunately Grant is right there to take the lead for this defense.

Lets roll! It's gut check time.

stevdock
12-09-2012, 02:12 PM
Until someone actually scores twice on our defense, I'm not going to be too concerned about over analyzing it. Our coaches know what they are doing.

James Madison - Smashmouth east coast football. Yes 2 TD's and got concerned but then DJ went 60 next play.
Lehigh - Best QB in the nation. Shutout.
GSU - Triple Option, best offense in the nation. 1 TD.
SHSU - Most speed, spread option. 0 TD's.

This year.
SDSU - #2 team in our conference, smashmouth football. 0 TD's.
Wofford - Best RB in the nation, Triple Option. 0 TD's.
GSU - Triple option, better than last year. ?? TD's but I see a trend that GSU is going to have to work their tails off just to get the ball in the end zone.

kab1one
12-09-2012, 02:21 PM
Is to much made of an extra day to prepare? Both teams are on a short week, GSU has to prepare as well and for them add to travel. Also, if you read the story in today's forum about Grant Olson, he has 3 finals to worry about as well. I didn't play so I don't know. So it would be nice for someone that did play if its that big of impact. And I did note, both teams are on a short week from a rest and recovery standpoint.

Another point to watch. Attendance. I expect a sell out. Couple of reasons, the demand for bison tickets is out there. Many people in Fargo look for tickets and have not got them this year. This might be the opportunity. This would tie into the belief that the Bison could draw 25,000 to a game. Not that I advocate a different venue or expansion which isn't going to happen, but its interesting as to what we could draw.

If we don't draw a full house, that would tell me we are currently at our max. I don't want to hear people couldn't travel, short notice, other committments, if there is pent up demand for 6,-8,000 ticket sales, we should be able to fill the dome.

In either case it will make for interesting discussion.

Honeybooboo
12-09-2012, 02:39 PM
GSU gets Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday travel Thursday play Friday, so we get 1 extra full day with no travel. We win, won't be 35-7 but I'm thinking 21-14

WYOBISONMAN
12-09-2012, 03:15 PM
Our offense is what worries me. We need some production to win.

Sent from my Incredible 2 using Tapatalk 2

SDbison
12-09-2012, 03:30 PM
Is to much made of an extra day to prepare? Both teams are on a short week, GSU has to prepare as well and for them add to travel. Also, if you read the story in today's forum about Grant Olson, he has 3 finals to worry about as well. I didn't play so I don't know. So it would be nice for someone that did play if its that big of impact. And I did note, both teams are on a short week from a rest and recovery standpoint.

Another point to watch. Attendance. I expect a sell out. Couple of reasons, the demand for bison tickets is out there. Many people in Fargo look for tickets and have not got them this year. This might be the opportunity. This would tie into the belief that the Bison could draw 25,000 to a game. Not that I advocate a different venue or expansion which isn't going to happen, but its interesting as to what we could draw.

If we don't draw a full house, that would tell me we are currently at our max. I don't want to hear people couldn't travel, short notice, other committments, if there is pent up demand for 6,-8,000 ticket sales, we should be able to fill the dome.

In either case it will make for interesting discussion.
Great post. Its amazing how so many posters are unhappy that the Bison have to play Friday night........it's the FCS semifinals and the Bison get to play AT HOME for the second year in a row. Most of those who travel for games will be able to juggle their schedules and still make the game. I really don't think any more than 500 tickets will be in jeopardy because of the Friday night game. Others in the FM area will scoop those tickets up.
Except for people who really have to work (i.e. have no way to get out of it, already on travel and cant get back in time, nobody to fill in for their schedule, no vacation, etc.) there is no excuse if Bison football means something to you. Also, it's too bad if H.S. basketball, a holiday party, etc. is that important that it trumps a Bison playoff game. Make your choice based on personal priorities, but remember a Bison Semifinal football playoff game on ESPN2 doesn't happen very often. I will make arrangements to take what little time I have to take off and drive 250 miles through blizzard conditions if I have to (like I did last night to get home) just so I can watch and cheer on my university and the Bison football team!

SDbison
12-09-2012, 03:45 PM

Sent from my Incredible 2 using Tapatalk 2 I am with you there Wyo. Just don't understand how an offense can be so anemic. If it wasn't for an overachieving defense the Bison would not even be in the playoffs. Time for the offense to quit resting the weight and outcome of the game on the defense. If the Bison lose another game this year it won't be the fault of the defense. It will be the fault of an offense that can't produce those lead padding points, that dagger, to put away an opponent. Instead the offense directly gives up points on turnovers, and goes three and out at the end of a game to constantly make the defense go back in to the game on little rest. Just a shame there is no improvement in the offense. Actually it seems like the offense has regressed from the time of the championship game last year.
Bison Defense, you are amazing!
Bison Offense, time for a gut check, a kick in the pants, and start doing your part!

IzzyFlexion
12-09-2012, 03:49 PM
I am with you there Wyo. Just don't understand how an offense can be so anemic. If it wasn't for an overachieving defense the Bison would not even be in the playoffs. Time for the offense to quit resting the weight and outcome of the game on the defense. If the Bison lose another game this year it won't be the fault of the defense. It will be the fault of an offense that can't produce those lead padding points, that dagger, to put away an opponent. Instead the offense directly gives up points on turnovers, and goes three and out at the end of a game to constantly make the defense go back in to the game on little rest. Just a shame there is no improvement in the offense. Actually it seems like the offense has regressed from the time of the championship game last year.
Bison Defense, you are amazing!
Bison Offense, time for a gut check, a kick in the pants, and start doing your part!

I'm with SD.
Sadly, hoping for a spark seems to have been the theme all year. I am fearful that even though the dam can't possibly hold back the flood forever, I think our best bet is that it holds for 2 more games.

NorthernBison
12-09-2012, 04:03 PM
Time to make up your mind about what strategy you want from the offense. Yesterday was a grind it out game. We ran the ball 2 of every 3 plays against 8-9 guys in the box. Brock completed 72% of his passes.

We got the lead right away, gave it back and then recovered before half to have a TD lead.

At that point, it was decided that we needed to limit Wofford possessions. I guess we could have opened things up but that might have given them a few more possessions.

We had the ball 29:40.

The simple fact is that we have the best defense in the country. Our offense is respectable but not explosive. It's not horrible. I think we have some looks that we haven't shown but I wouldn't expect lightning to strike.

SDbison
12-09-2012, 04:28 PM
Time to make up your mind about what strategy you want from the offense. Yesterday was a grind it out game. We ran the ball 2 of every 3 plays against 8-9 guys in the box. Brock completed 72% of his passes.

We got the lead right away, gave it back and then recovered before half to have a TD lead.

At that point, it was decided that we needed to limit Wofford possessions. I guess we could have opened things up but that might have given them a few more possessions.

We had the ball 29:40.

The simple fact is that we have the best defense in the country. Our offense is respectable but not explosive. It's not horrible. I think we have some looks that we haven't shown but I wouldn't expect lightning to strike. I find it sad that fans and coaches see that level of offensive perfomance is acceptable. Oh, and the offense only actually netted 7 points since they gave up 7 points to a pick six. Sure if you manage to scrape out a win that is great, but I see no comfort in barely winning these games. A defender will eventually screw up on coverage or miss a tackle near the end and a game will be lost. Playing anal retentive offense because you are worried about turnovers all game is ridiculous. And the Bison still managed two terrible turnovers yesterday (what if that fumble was near the Bison goal line instead). Just keep on spinning the wheel assuming the defense will always come through.........odds are it will eventually result in a failure.
Why not improve the offense to get more production and take a bit of the pressure off the defense?

MNLonghorn10
12-09-2012, 04:33 PM

yea i wonder what would've happened if crockett doesnt fumble inside the 15...or brock doesn stumble on that 3rd and 1 at woffords what, 38?

Bohl went to nebraska...he'll have the troops ready.

IzzyFlexion
12-09-2012, 04:45 PM
I find it sad that fans and coaches see that level of offensive perfomance is acceptable. Oh, and the offense only actually netted 7 points since they gave up 7 points to a pick six. Sure if you manage to scrape out a win that is great, but I see no comfort in barely winning these games. A defender will eventually screw up on coverage or miss a tackle near the end and a game will be lost. Playing anal retentive offense because you are worried about turnovers all game is ridiculous. And the Bison still managed two terrible turnovers yesterday (what if that fumble was near the Bison goal line instead). Just keep on spinning the wheel assuming the defense will always come through.........odds are it will eventually result in a failure.
Why not improve the offense to get more production and take a bit of the pressure off the defense?

Our last 2 posessions were an embarrasment in this respect. Never seen more of a "let's be careful not to lose here" scenario in my life.

NorthernBison
12-09-2012, 04:50 PM
The offensive strategy wasn't all about avoiding turnovers. It was about controlling the clock. I read moronic comments on here all the time. RUN THE DAMN BALL. Sound familiar? Then when we run it 2/3 of the time, suddenly there are calls to open things up more. That's fine if you can live with giving Wofford two it three more possessions. I have a feeling our defense didn't have enough gas left in the tank for that.

I think on Friday we WILL see a more open offense. We will need it because I think GSU is way more explosive than Wofford and will put points on the board.

Two years ago our defense got shredded in Cheney when it mattered. I don't see GSU doing that but I see us needing to score in the high 20's to win. This is a different GSU team than last year. Swope impressed the hell out of me last year as a Freshman. If their QB is as advertised, we will have our hands full.

kab1one
12-09-2012, 05:46 PM
My one question got answered. already sold out.
Great post. Its amazing how so many posters are unhappy that the Bison have to play Friday night........it's the FCS semifinals and the Bison get to play AT HOME for the second year in a row. Most of those who travel for games will be able to juggle their schedules and still make the game. I really don't think any more than 500 tickets will be in jeopardy because of the Friday night game. Others in the FM area will scoop those tickets up.
Except for people who really have to work (i.e. have no way to get out of it, already on travel and cant get back in time, nobody to fill in for their schedule, no vacation, etc.) there is no excuse if Bison football means something to you. Also, it's too bad if H.S. basketball, a holiday party, etc. is that important that it trumps a Bison playoff game. Make your choice based on personal priorities, but remember a Bison Semifinal football playoff game on ESPN2 doesn't happen very often. I will make arrangements to take what little time I have to take off and drive 250 miles through blizzard conditions if I have to (like I did last night to get home) just so I can watch and cheer on my university and the Bison football team!

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
12-09-2012, 06:45 PM
The offensive strategy wasn't all about avoiding turnovers. It was about controlling the clock. I read moronic comments on here all the time. RUN THE DAMN BALL. Sound familiar? Then when we run it 2/3 of the time, suddenly there are calls to open things up more. That's fine if you can live with giving Wofford two it three more possessions. I have a feeling our defense didn't have enough gas left in the tank for that.

I think on Friday we WILL see a more open offense. We will need it because I think GSU is way more explosive than Wofford and will put points on the board.

Two years ago our defense got shredded in Cheney when it mattered. I don't see GSU doing that but I see us needing to score in the high 20's to win. This is a different GSU team than last year. Swope impressed the hell out of me last year as a Freshman. If their QB is as advertised, we will have our hands full.

The point being, Northern, is that when we need the offense to keep the ball and grind out the clock at the end of the game, they haven't been able to do so all season long. Yesterdays game was no exception. Woffard should never been given the opportunity to get the ball back at the end of the game, but our O failed to do their job, once again. That is all we are asking for. Come through for us when we need you. Haven't seen it very often this year.

And BTW, I don't see this offense scoring in the high 20's against GSU or SHSU, maybe EWU.

stevdock
12-09-2012, 09:24 PM
Dont turn the ball over twice and we probably win 21-0 and everyone would be saying nobody in the world is going to stop us. My opinion on Brock's int was they should have run a draw and punted the ball. Not too often are we going to pick up a 3rd and 13. Also last drive give credit to Vigen for the screen call to our TE cause it probably should have scored. But give more credit to the DB who got wiped out but still got up to make the tackle.

NorthernBison
12-09-2012, 09:39 PM
Dont turn the ball over twice and we probably win 21-0 and everyone would be saying nobody in the world is going to stop us. My opinion on Brock's int was they should have run a draw and punted the ball. Not too often are we going to pick up a 3rd and 13. Also last drive give credit to Vigen for the screen call to our TE cause it probably should have scored. But give more credit to the DB who got wiped out but still got up to make the tackle.

That was a great play call. Could have been a TD but the Wofford DB got cut and got up and made a play.

Even if it had only went for a first down, it would have ended the game.

Everybody throws a hissy fit when an opponent makes a play to stop OUR offense. Forgetting that our defense does it to other teams all the time.

Did ANYBODY think they had a prayer of scoring with no time outs and less than a minute left? They couldn't do it in a thousand tries.

A1pigskin
12-09-2012, 09:51 PM
I could see Grant having another record day. I think we did too much punting against Woff.

westnodak93bison
12-09-2012, 09:56 PM

IMHO, too much is made of the offensive "production" or perceived lack thereof. The Bison are playing complementary football leveraging the strength of the team(defense) while not taking unnecessary risk on offense.
I'll speculate we would have scored another TD if Crockett had not fumbled.

CarringtonBison
12-09-2012, 10:00 PM
I agree on the comments so far. I saw a wonderful drive the first drive of the game and we score a td. Short controlled passes, running game churning, etc. Brock then threw the pick six (overthrown a wide open receiver who would have had a first down) and the offense went into don't lose the game mode. We had some nice drives that stalled. No pick 6 and no fumble and I truly think it would have been a 28-3 game final score. Wofford was good, better than most of us gave them credit for. Georgia Southern is good also. We need our offense to give everything and go balls out the entire game and if the defense plays like normal, we will win by 10-14 points. This game comes down to our turnovers.

Hammerhead
12-09-2012, 10:07 PM
This year's scoring offense was 10th in the FCS heading into the quarterfinals with 35 PPG. Last year we were 29th with 31 PPG.
http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fcs/current/team/1028
http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2011&rpt=IAA_teamscoroff&site=org&div=IAA&dest=O

I am with you there Wyo. Just don't understand how an offense can be so anemic. ...

NorthernBison
12-09-2012, 10:12 PM
I agree on the comments so far. I saw a wonderful drive the first drive of the game and we score a td. Short controlled passes, running game churning, etc. Brock then threw the pick six (overthrown a wide open receiver who would have had a first down) and the offense went into don't lose the game mode. We had some nice drives that stalled. No pick 6 and no fumble and I truly think it would have been a 28-3 game final score. Wofford was good, better than most of us gave them credit for. Georgia Southern is good also. We need our offense to give everything and go balls out the entire game and if the defense plays like normal, we will win by 10-14 points. This game comes down to our turnovers.

So, you don't think Wofford made adjustments after the opening series?

I know our D did because we got gashed on their first series and Beck's strip was probably the only thing keeping them from scoring. After that opening series, our D closed some things down.

CarringtonBison
12-09-2012, 10:35 PM
So, you don't think Wofford made adjustments after the opening series?

I know our D did because we got gashed on their first series and Beck's strip was probably the only thing keeping them from scoring. After that opening series, our D closed some things down.
Absolutely they did and we did not-which is where the problem came from. It looked to me like we were content to keep doing what we were doing. They shut us down almost completely after that because I think that the offense went into "don't lose this" mode.

NorthernBison
12-09-2012, 10:54 PM
Absolutely they did and we did not-which is where the problem came from. It looked to me like we were content to keep doing what we were doing. They shut us down almost completely after that because I think that the offense went into "don't lose this" mode.

So, you know we didn't make adjustments. Bohl might be pissed that one of his coaches is posting here.

Nobody here knows what we did or didnt do differently.

CarringtonBison
12-09-2012, 11:35 PM
So, you know we didn't make adjustments. Bohl might be pissed that one of his coaches is posting here.

Nobody here knows what we did or didnt do differently.
So I see, nobody can post their OBSERVATIONS about what we think happened. Look at my original post, I thought that our offense went way more conservative and that made the game closer than it needed to be. Also, look at my last post "I think that..." Why have a board to discuss this if we can't have an opinion about our OBSERVATIONS?

As someone else put in another thread, the offense is doing just enough to get it done. The defense is holding on, but if a big play or two happens and the game shifts, we may not be so fortunate this weekend.

SDbison
12-09-2012, 11:47 PM
So I see, nobody can post their OBSERVATIONS about what we think happened. Look at my original post, I thought that our offense went way more conservative and that made the game closer than it needed to be. Also, look at my last post "I think that..." Why have a board to discuss this if we can't have an opinion about our OBSERVATIONS?

As someone else put in another thread, the offense is doing just enough to get it done. The defense is holding on, but if a big play or two happens and the game shifts, we may not be so fortunate this weekend. Nothing wrong with what you are posting. Some here are happy with barely winning and falsely believing the Bison are so much in control of a game they actually only score just enough to win.........that is so laughable. As for the Bison scoring offense being ranked so high........quite obvious the two cupcakes that the Bison scored on at will early in the season and a poor USD team helped skew the average score way up there.

NorthernBison
12-10-2012, 12:08 AM

As someone else put in another thread, the offense is doing just enough to get it done. The defense is holding on, but if a big play or two happens and the game shifts, we may not be so fortunate this weekend.

We're all making observations.

Your last post said they made adjustments and we DIDN'T. There was no equivocation in your post.

I think we used almost the same approach throughout the game in our play calling. What changed after the pick? We ran 58 plays and 18 of them were pass plays. I think the mix was similar on the first drive.

I find it hilarious that people get all pissed about us not running the ball enough and then when we run 2/3 of the time the same people whine about lack of offense.

Against a good defense, our offense is going to be lucky to get much more than 250 yards if we rush it 40 times.

In case you haven't noticed, we have no "power" backs. Neither Crockett or Ojuri are going to run over anybody but a few D Backs.

I already know what Bohl wants to see. So SD can bitch all he wants about fans being satisfied. The Coach is satisfied with the results. I still think there are wrinkles we haven't seen yet and won't until it is necessary.

SDbison
12-10-2012, 12:25 AM
NorthernBison, you don't now anymore than the rest of us fans like you said in another post earlier today........so what makes your posts so insightful? Your posts are mostly opinions just like the rest. I could spend all sorts of time picking apart your OPINIONS that are no better than anyone elses. How do you know what Bohl is thinking?

CarringtonBison
12-10-2012, 12:29 AM
We're all making observations.

Your last post said they made adjustments and we DIDN'T. There was no equivocation in your post.

I think we used almost the same approach throughout the game in our play calling. What changed after the pick? We ran 58 plays and 18 of them were pass plays. I think the mix was similar on the first drive.

I find it hilarious that people get all pissed about us not running the ball enough and then when we run 2/3 of the time the same people whine about lack of offense.

Against a good defense, our offense is going to be lucky to get much more than 250 yards if we rush it 40 times.

In case you haven't noticed, we have no "power" backs. Neither Crockett or Ojuri are going to run over anybody but a few D Backs.

I already know what Bohl wants to see. So SD can bitch all he wants about fans being satisfied. The Coach is satisfied with the results. I still think there are wrinkles we haven't seen yet and won't until it is necessary.
And I can agree that the first drive was probably similar in the mix. As you stated, it looked as if they made adjustments. I see you are saying that the mix did not change (nothing changed). So that would indicate that we did not make adjustments (stayed the same), i.e. we agree on the point. They largely shut down our running game. In my OBSERVATION, we needed to pass more to open up the running lanes-get the safeties and LB more off balance. It didn't happen, so in my OBSERVATION, we did not make the necessary adjustments. Now who knows, maybe due to personnel issues, etc. we may not have been able to make those adjustments. I am not a coach and certainly don't have privy to that information.

I am certainly not pissed. I am happy that we are winning and have a wonderful defense and we are having a great time watching Bison football deep into the playoffs. I am also not whining-I simply am making points about what I am seeing and what could happen if not corrected.

56BISON73
12-10-2012, 12:38 AM
And I can agree that the first drive was probably similar in the mix. As you stated, it looked as if they made adjustments. I see you are saying that the mix did not change (nothing changed). So that would indicate that we did not make adjustments (stayed the same), i.e. we agree on the point. They largely shut down our running game. In my OBSERVATION, we needed to pass more to open up the running lanes-get the safeties and LB more off balance. It didn't happen, so in my OBSERVATION, we did not make the necessary adjustments. Now who knows, maybe due to personnel issues, etc. we may not have been able to make those adjustments. I am not a coach and certainly don't have privy to that information.

I am certainly not pissed. I am happy that we are winning and have a wonderful defense and we are having a great time watching Bison football deep into the playoffs. I am also not whining-I simply am making points about what I am seeing and what could happen if not corrected.

I dont think the adjustments or lack of them had as much of a bearing as it was the execution of our O-line. Wofford was controlling the LOS. Many time they penetrated the LOS and were in out back field. Other times we couldnt get movement and Woffords D plugged the hole-seams and floated to the ball. So even with adjustments they dont do much if you cant execute.

CarringtonBison
12-10-2012, 12:51 AM
I dont think the adjustments or lack of them had as much of a bearing as it was the execution of our O-line. Wofford was controlling the LOS. Many time they penetrated the LOS and were in out back field. Other times we couldnt get movement and Woffords D plugged the hole-seams and floated to the ball. So even with adjustments they dont do much if you cant execute.
Good point. The issue(s) is/are multifacted and we casual observers are just that-casual observers. No one is likely to be completely right, nor is my goal to convince someone else. I could see what I could see and someone else may have seen it different. In the end, we can all put our points together and make an educated discussion, by being civil.

I think we can all agree on one thing. We are in the semifinals and on the verge of back to back championship game appearances. It is a great time to be a bison. Also, beer is great! :)

NorthernBison
12-10-2012, 12:59 AM

Your comments are on target with what I was thinking. Our OL was opening holes on the first drive. Wofford adjusted. I'm sure we changed some blocking schemes to counter but you still need to execute. Our OL didn't dominate their DL the rest of the game.

We have a pretty average offense and some fans can't seem to understand that. Trust your eyes people and take off the green glasses. We have a good offensive line overall (not great). Our backs have above average speed but they don't typically run through tacklers. Our receivers are mostly possession type guys. Nothing special in terms of speed or size. They do catch most balls that are catchable. Our QB has good foot speed and generally makes good decisions. He WAS super accurate but has had some issues this year.

Wishing it were different wont change things.

EndZoneQB
12-10-2012, 01:02 AM
Still don't get the title of this thread...

CarringtonBison
12-10-2012, 01:10 AM
Your comments are on target with what I was thinking. Our OL was opening holes on the first drive. Wofford adjusted. I'm sure we changed some blocking schemes to counter but you still need to execute. Our OL didn't dominate their DL the rest of the game.

We have a pretty average offense and some fans can't seem to understand that. Trust your eyes people and take off the green glasses. We have a good offensive line overall (not great). Our backs have above average speed but they don't typically run through tacklers. Our receivers are mostly possession type guys. Nothing special in terms of speed or size. They do catch most balls that are catchable. Our QB has good foot speed and generally makes good decisions. He WAS super accurate but has had some issues this year.

Wishing it were different wont change things.
Agree with this 100%

56BISON73
12-10-2012, 01:22 AM
Good point. The issue(s) is/are multifacted and we casual observers are just that-casual observers. No one is likely to be completely right, nor is my goal to convince someone else. I could see what I could see and someone else may have seen it different. In the end, we can all put our points together and make an educated discussion, by being civil.

I think we can all agree on one thing. We are in the semifinals and on the verge of back to back championship game appearances. It is a great time to be a bison. Also, beer is great! :)

Both you and Northern Bison made great observations. Its the cause and effect that many miss. Some other things-- Woffords D-line didnt wear down. When we didnt use motion there Outside backers crashed and we were getting hammered. Brock isnt getting time and the pocket collapses around him. There D-backs werent letting anything get behind them.
If we keep using the down and out and pressuring the edge we have to start putting some one over the middle with a slant, a back out of the back field over the middle or flair out to the flat or a TE doing the same after a small delay.

NorthernBison
12-10-2012, 01:22 AM
Agree with this 100%

I think we agree on a lot. Even if it doesn't seem that way.

Tatanka
12-10-2012, 01:30 AM
Still don't get the title of this thread...Me neither... I'm just chalking it up to old age. What's your excuse?

90 BISON
12-10-2012, 05:15 AM
I know GSU wants to go FBS. The thread title lead me to believe that CUSA was adding them or something.

NDSUstudent
12-10-2012, 05:18 AM
I know GSU wants to go FBS. The thread title lead me to believe that CUSA was adding them or something.

They'll be joining the Sun Belt shortly....the writing is on the wall.

90 BISON
12-10-2012, 05:21 AM
That makes sense I put CUSA because that is where ODU is going after this year, Sun belt probably makes more sense for GSU.

CC Eagle
12-10-2012, 05:40 AM
That makes sense I put CUSA because that is where ODU is going after this year, Sun belt probably makes more sense for GSU.

It's gotten to the point where pretty much all of us would be shocked if there wasn't an invite on the table by this summer. If/When that invite comes, I'd say that it's about 90% sure to come from the SunBelt. All indications after they announced the new teams for next year were that GSU was near the top of the list for teams that might be considered this summer for additional expansion in 2014 or 2015. With the huge conference shakeups of the last couple of weeks, many are thinking that the SunBelt will start spinning the wheels faster.

NorthernBison
12-10-2012, 06:11 AM

At first I thought it meant GSU TWO as in rematch.

Reading the OP again seems to indicate a desire to discuss the triple option (hence the to) with additional references to the tendencies for turnovers (to) which might be forced.

I haven't looked at this years stats. Does GSU put it on the turf?

tony
12-10-2012, 09:35 AM
I haven't looked at this years stats. Does GSU put it on the turf?

34 fumbles, lost 16 in 795 rushing attempts (yeah, you can fumble doing other stuff so this isn't exact). About 1 every 23 rushes but they lost only about 1 in 56 rushes.

They've thrown 5 interceptions in 86 attempts...that's 1 every 17 attempts. An NDSU QB would throw about

In comparison, NDSU throws interceptions at a rate of 1 in every 40 attempts and fumbles once in every 38 rushes and loses the fumble 1 in 94 rushes.

Of course the problem with turnovers is that you can't count on them. I mean, in 13 games so far, Brock has had 9 games without an interception and has fewer INTs than Steve Walker did his senior year (Brock averages 1 INT per 38 throws, Steve was 1 in 24 - and Steve Walker was a helluva QB.) It's the percentage of those INTs that have been returned for TDs that makes them so devastating.

Other turnover trivia. Here's a list of NDSU fumbles and who committed them:

Matt Jones 1-0 (1 fumble, 0 lost) <= late in Prairie View game
Dinwiddie 2-1 <= Prairie View game, I think
Vraa 1-1
Williams 1-0 <= kick return
Ojuri 1-1
Jensen 3-1 <= his only lost fumble is an object lesson in why backs need to be good pass blockers
Dudzik 1-0 <== punt return against USD?
Gebhart 1-0
Smith 1-1 <== kick return (still shocked by that... kind of a freak play.)
Crocket 3-1 <= Dude! Hold onto the ball! :)

Anyway, our starting RBs have 4 fumbles with only 1 lost, but it only takes one to really screw up a game.

stevdock
12-10-2012, 11:36 AM
Those stats for GSU fumbling the ball are very similar to Wofford's. Both teams put the ball on the ground close to an average of 3 times a game and lose 1 of them. Turnovers are going to be key again this weekend.

Bisonguy
12-10-2012, 02:13 PM

Me two.

Ten char