PDA

View Full Version : Serious questions

JackJD
11-18-2006, 04:58 AM
Serious questions...

I assume the largest crowd at the FargoDome is for a UND game. *Is that correct? *What's the record? *What year? *How did that game turn out?

I hope tomorrow's game is a record...I've done my part, have tickets, and will be there yelling for the 'Rabbits.

There are those who question whether the SDSU / NDSU matchup is a real rivalry like the Bison had in the past with UND. *No doubt it's quite different (it has always appeared to me that the NDSU / UND thing was more akin to pure hatred than rivalry...compare the SDSU / USD rivalry...not as much hatred). *But, what are your thoughts as this game approaches? *Does it have that "feel" that you had before the big ones with UND? I suspect this is a "big game" but quite different compared to the UND tilts in the old days.

broke_back_mnt
11-18-2006, 05:12 AM
Its a big game man! *Biggest game in the Fabulous Fargo Dome ever that's for sure.
People from other places scorned the Boarder Game when it started. We have been competing for 100 years or so. *Who knew that 2006 would bring us together for the Marker, the GWFC title and of course for the bragging rights as the best football team in The DAKOTAS!!!!
That's what it is really about.

coloradobison
11-18-2006, 05:20 AM
Serious questions...

I assume the largest crowd at the FargoDome is for a UND game. *Is that correct? *What's the record? *What year? *How did that game turn out?

I hope tomorrow's game is a record...I've done my part, have tickets, and will be there yelling for the 'Rabbits.

There are those who question whether the SDSU / NDSU matchup is a real rivalry like the Bison had in the past with UND. *No doubt it's quite different (it has always appeared to me that the NDSU / UND thing was more akin to pure hatred than rivalry...compare the SDSU / USD rivalry...not as much hatred). *But, what are your thoughts as this game approaches? *Does it have that "feel" that you had before the big ones with UND? *I suspect this is a "big game" but quite different compared to the UND tilts in the old days.

Without looking, it is for a UND game, i think it was 19,046, 2002, 6-12 L

TransAmBison
11-18-2006, 05:20 AM
JBB say what you will, hate the Fighting Fire Trucks all you want, but the Jacks have never matched up to the intensity of the rivalry we have with the Fighting Fire trucks. Maybe to you, the rivalry with little bunny fufu is a big deal, but to the average North Dakotan it is not as big as Bison/Fire Truck. Have all the hate you want, I hate them to, but don't downplay it and don't say it doesn't exist....

broke_back_mnt
11-18-2006, 05:23 AM
Youre hatin me man!

Tomorrow is the biggest game of the season and your hatin me! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Its the Jacks coming into Fargo tomorrow. Its the Jacks at the Fabulous Fargo Dome!!

GO BISON!!! ;D ;D 8-)

DIBISON
11-18-2006, 05:31 AM
Hey tommorrow's game with SDSU is the rivalry game. The in-state rivaly with the GF school does not exist today and I could care less. Even if we end up playing in the future, it won't be like it used to be. How can it be, but who cares that is in the past, lets move to today, which is the NDSU-SDSU rivalry!!

sambini
11-18-2006, 05:35 AM
+++++++

ThunderRadioguy
11-18-2006, 07:51 AM
I was only here for the last year of that rivalry with that other school up north, so this is the real rivalry to me. Tomorrow is the biggest game that I've been a part of. Go Bison!!!

bisonjay
11-18-2006, 08:00 AM
I've been on here a littel bit, but why does everyone reference the "Fabulous" Fargo dome??? That place sucks. One of the worst venues I've been too, not to mention the terrible atmosphere and the sh**ty security. Just curious

Its a big game man! *Biggest game in the Fabulous Fargo Dome ever that's for sure.
People from other places scorned the Boarder Game when it started. We have been competing for 100 years or so. *Who knew that 2006 would bring us together for the Marker, the GWFC title and of course for the bragging rights as the best football team in The DAKOTAS!!!!

Gully
11-18-2006, 12:17 PM
The rivalry was a bit contrived but I must say that it really has picked up the "feel" of a major rival. SDSU winning in Brookings 2 years ago certainly helped that. It's the game of the year in the Fargodome, fabulous or not.

TransAmBison
11-18-2006, 01:25 PM
Youre hatin me man! *

Tomorrow is the biggest game of the season and your hatin me! * ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Its the Jacks coming into Fargo tomorrow. *Its the Jacks at the Fabulous Fargo Dome!!

GO BISON!!! *;D ;D 8-)
There's no hate for you...

I do agree this game is a big deal. I just don't agree that there is a real rivalry. There is no feeling in it. It is just words.

bisonfanforlife
11-18-2006, 02:17 PM
This may not be as heated and intense as our former rivalry, but this game right here is everything for these guys. This is for a W, this is for the marker, this is for the bragging rights, this is OUR playoffs. These guys have come here and fought hard knowing that they wouldn't get a real shot for the actual playoffs. They know what this means and like i said it may not be as heated as our former rivalry, but this has just as much personal meaning as any one of thoes games against that outhouse up north. Must go and get ready for the game, my spot in the student line awaits me shortly. Everybody better be cheering loud to a Bison Victory...every fan counts!

Bisonguy
11-18-2006, 02:25 PM
I've been on here a littel bit, but why does everyone reference the "Fabulous" Fargo dome??? *That place sucks. *One of the worst venues I've been too, not to mention the terrible atmosphere and the sh**ty security. *Just curious

It's one of the nicest stadiums in all of I-AA. :)

Definintely the nicest indoor stadium. Security sucks, but has loosened their grip, and the atmosphere is getting closer to what it was when it first opened.

tony
11-18-2006, 02:52 PM
Ultimately, the students will decide who NDSU's rivals are.

As for the FargoDome, it is great for NDSU's fan base. I was really kind of shocked that the FargoDome's replay capabilities and stat presentation were so much better than the Metrodome's. Steep seating = good sight lines. I usually sit in the "double letter" seats and can see the action perfectly. Now, if the atmosphere is dead in there, we have only ourselves to blame.

BisonMav
11-18-2006, 03:13 PM
I'll agree with Bisonguy and Tony, nice stadium. That's one of the reason's why I drive 260 miles one way for home games. I've been to a few stadiums too, NDSU might not be better than Lambeau or Kinnick, but it's great for Fargo.

BraxtonT
11-18-2006, 03:30 PM
Hey tommorrow's game with SDSU is the rivalry game. *The in-state rivaly with the GF school does not exist today and I could care less. *Even if we end up playing in the future, it won't be like it used to be. *How can it be, but who cares that is in the past, lets move to today, which is the NDSU-SDSU rivalry!!

I hope you're right. All the hate being spewed on both sides by idiot "fans" made for a less than healthy atmosphere. I'm hoping these last few years away from the rivalry will help eliminate a lot of the moronic behavior when the rivalry does come back.

As for the original post, yes, this is a rivalry, but for this fan, it doesn't come close to having the same feeling. When you live in small-town North Dakota, there are fans of UND and fans of NDSU. When that game concluded, you had to either TAKE a lot of shit from those turtleneck wearing prima donnas or GLOAT like a proud new papa for the next full year. Like Coach Hager said, it was "365 days of Hell" if you lost. With the Jackrabbits, you don't find a lot (if any) of alumni or fans in your hometown, so you don't have the yearlong effects afterwards.

Families and towns are not divided with Bison-Jackrabbit games, so this will never reach the magnitude of a Bison-Sioux game. With that being said, I'm still looking more forward to this game than any of the last five or so Bison-Sioux games, based on the idiocy displayed by the moron "fans" of BOTH teams.

THEsocalledfan
11-18-2006, 03:30 PM
Youre hatin me man! *

Its the Jacks coming into Fargo tomorrow. *Its the Jacks at the Fabulous Fargo Dome!!

GO BISON!!! *;D ;D 8-)

I do agree this game is a big deal. *I just don't agree that there is a real rivalry. *There is no feeling in it. *It is just words.

TransAm speaks the truth. Is there anyone who grew up in North Dakota who does not feel the same way?

BisonSig
11-18-2006, 03:35 PM
I've been on here a littel bit, but why does everyone reference the "Fabulous" Fargo dome??? That place sucks. One of the worst venues I've been too, not to mention the terrible atmosphere and the sh**ty security. Just curious

Its a big game man! Biggest game in the Fabulous Fargo Dome ever that's for sure.

People from other places scorned the Boarder Game when it started. We have been competing for 100 years or so. Who knew that 2006 would bring us together for the Marker, the GWFC title and of course for the bragging rights as the best football team in The DAKOTAS!!!!

It's one of the nicest stadiums in all of I-AA. :)

Definintely the nicest indoor stadium. Security sucks, but has loosened their grip, and the atmosphere is getting closer to what it was when it first opened.

I agree Bisonguy, the dome was great until the play we lost Arden Beachy, it hasn't been the same since. But we are getting closer.

As far as a rivalry with SDSU... Wow, how can you not develop a honest respect and fear for a school that goes through the transition with you, experiences the same growing pains, develops a lot of young athletes and finds ways to win. The people of South Dakota should be proud, just as the people of North Dakota should be proud of NDSU. We are rivals, we compete not only in football, but volleyball, basketball, track, wrestling, baseball, etc.

Each school has had its time dominating the other in a given sport. Football currently for the Bison, Volleyball for quite a while for the Jacks. That is what rivalry is about, finding a team that is a challenge, that is a thorn in your side. I do think they are rivals.

See you tailgating and in the stands.

Section 21 RULES!!!

02Bison
11-18-2006, 03:49 PM
I've been on here a littel bit, but why does everyone reference the "Fabulous" Fargo dome??? *That place sucks. *One of the worst venues I've been too, not to mention the terrible atmosphere and the sh**ty security. *Just curious

Talk about a naive statement. As Tony and others have said, the Fargo Dome itself has nothing to do with the game day environment. The fans do! I've been in the packed Dome with games that matter (i.e. UND games in the past), it it was loud, intense, and fun. Your perception that the Fargo Dome sucks is placing the blame at the wrong thing.

TheDoctor
11-18-2006, 03:51 PM
Youre hatin me man! *

GO BISON!!! *;D ;D 8-)

I do agree this game is a big deal. *I just don't agree that there is a real rivalry. *There is no feeling in it. *It is just words.

TransAm speaks the truth. *Is there anyone who grew up in North Dakota who does not feel the same way?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++++++ For now. BUT, starting crap by claiming that we cheat bytelling people to get on their feet on third down can't do anything but begin to heat the rivalry. ;)

THEsocalledfan
11-18-2006, 03:51 PM

Talk about a naive statement. As Tony and others have said, the Fargo Dome itself has nothing to do with the game day environment. *The fans do! *I've been in the packed Dome with games that matter (i.e. UND games in the past), it it was loud, intense, and fun. *Your perception that the Fargo Dome sucks is placing the blame at the wrong thing. *

For once (and I can't believe I am saying this), I completely agree with 02Bison.....

sambini
11-18-2006, 03:55 PM
HMMM....JUST CHEER ON THE BISON THAT WHAT MATTERS+++

ndsubison
11-18-2006, 04:44 PM
I am definately pumped for this game for all the obvious reasons. It IS a big game. To me, it has taken on the "feelings" of a rivalry, minus the und hatred. I like SDSU. Back in the NCC, I never really paid that much attention to them besides just being another game on the schedule. The transition has made me much more aware of the institution and its fans. From what I've seen, they seem like pretty good people and I have no animosity towards anything SDSU. I do, however, harbor great resentment towards the school to the north. In high school, I didn't care either way. I liked the Bison but did not dislike the sioux. Upon enrolling at NDSU, the pendulum began to sway. I disliked the sioux and reveled when we rolled 40 up on them practically every year for so long. Since the transition and all the things said/done by und students/alumni/administration, I have developed a severe loathing for anything und. The only thing I can tolerate und-related are the friends and family who decided to go to school there, and that's only because these people were friends and family first. Sorry to sound so morbid but this is nothing compared to what I am watching on ESPN regarding the Michigan-Ohio State rivalry. Now THAT is some wicked stuff :o.

GO BISON!!!

THEsocalledfan
11-18-2006, 05:52 PM
I am definately pumped for this game for all the obvious reasons. *It IS a big game. *To me, it has taken on the "feelings" of a rivalry, minus the und hatred. *I like SDSU. *Back in the NCC, I never really paid that much attention to them besides just being another game on the schedule. *The transition has made me much more aware of the institution and its fans. *From what I've seen, they seem like pretty good people and I have no animosity towards anything SDSU. *I do, however, harbor great resentment towards the school to the north. *In high school, I didn't care either way. *I liked the Bison but did not dislike the sioux. *Upon enrolling at NDSU, the pendulum began to sway. *I disliked the sioux and reveled when we rolled 40 up on them practically every year for so long. *Since the transition and all the things said/done by und students/alumni/administration, I have developed a severe loathing for anything und. *The only thing I can tolerate und-related are the friends and family who decided to go to school there, and that's only because these people were friends and family first. *Sorry to sound so morbid but this is nothing compared to what I am watching on ESPN regarding the Michigan-Ohio State rivalry. *Now THAT is some wicked stuff :o.

GO BISON!!!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++

Couldn't have said it better.

Now, let's forget about those losers (for now...) and concentrate on pounding some rabbit. *Those rodents are the only thing in the way to a GreatWest Title!!!!

Shawn-O
11-18-2006, 05:56 PM
Hey tommorrow's game with SDSU is the rivalry game. *The in-state rivaly with the GF school does not exist today and I could care less. *Even if we end up playing in the future, it won't be like it used to be. *How can it be, but who cares that is in the past, lets move to today, which is the NDSU-SDSU rivalry!!

I hope you're right. *All the hate being spewed on both sides by idiot "fans" made for a less than healthy atmosphere. *I'm hoping these last few years away from the rivalry will help eliminate a lot of the moronic behavior when the rivalry does come back.

As for the original post, yes, this is a rivalry, but for this fan, it doesn't come close to having the same feeling. *When you live in small-town North Dakota, there are fans of UND and fans of NDSU. *When that game concluded, you had to either TAKE a lot of shit from those turtleneck wearing prima donnas or GLOAT like a proud new papa for the next full year. *Like Coach Hager said, it was "365 days of Hell" if you lost. *With the Jackrabbits, you don't find a lot (if any) of alumni or fans in your hometown, so you don't have the yearlong effects afterwards. *

Families and towns are not divided with Bison-Jackrabbit games, so this will never reach the magnitude of a Bison-Sioux game. *With that being said, I'm still looking more forward to this game than any of the last five or so Bison-Sioux games, based on the idiocy displayed by the moron "fans" of BOTH teams. *

That's a pretty good post.

Shawn-O
11-18-2006, 05:58 PM
I am definately pumped for this game for all the obvious reasons. *It IS a big game. *To me, it has taken on the "feelings" of a rivalry, minus the und hatred. *I like SDSU. *Back in the NCC, I never really paid that much attention to them besides just being another game on the schedule. *The transition has made me much more aware of the institution and its fans. *From what I've seen, they seem like pretty good people and I have no animosity towards anything SDSU. *I do, however, harbor great resentment towards the school to the north. *In high school, I didn't care either way. *I liked the Bison but did not dislike the sioux. *Upon enrolling at NDSU, the pendulum began to sway. *I disliked the sioux and reveled when we rolled 40 up on them practically every year for so long. *Since the transition and all the things said/done by und students/alumni/administration, I have developed a severe loathing for anything und. *The only thing I can tolerate und-related are the friends and family who decided to go to school there, and that's only because these people were friends and family first. *Sorry to sound so morbid but this is nothing compared to what I am watching on ESPN regarding the Michigan-Ohio State rivalry. Now THAT is some wicked stuff :o.
GO BISON!!!

The intensity of the rivalry will be higher than ever when the game resumes. *It will never reach this level, because people in the upper Midwest have a broader perspective on life, and how an athletic rivalry fits into the grand scheme of things.

Jeffdaryl3rd
11-18-2006, 09:11 PM
FFD is great for a 1-AA team. No question that it is great for the fans and is an excellent recruiting tool. FFD > Tin Can.

99Bison
11-19-2006, 03:20 AM
I am definately pumped for this game for all the obvious reasons. It IS a big game. To me, it has taken on the "feelings" of a rivalry, minus the und hatred. I like SDSU. Back in the NCC, I never really paid that much attention to them besides just being another game on the schedule. The transition has made me much more aware of the institution and its fans. From what I've seen, they seem like pretty good people and I have no animosity towards anything SDSU. I do, however, harbor great resentment towards the school to the north. In high school, I didn't care either way. I liked the Bison but did not dislike the sioux. Upon enrolling at NDSU, the pendulum began to sway. I disliked the sioux and reveled when we rolled 40 up on them practically every year for so long. Since the transition and all the things said/done by und students/alumni/administration, I have developed a severe loathing for anything und. The only thing I can tolerate und-related are the friends and family who decided to go to school there, and that's only because these people were friends and family first. Sorry to sound so morbid but this is nothing compared to what I am watching on ESPN regarding the Michigan-Ohio State rivalry. Now THAT is some wicked stuff :o.
GO BISON!!!

The intensity of the rivalry will be higher than ever when the game resumes. It will never reach this level, because people in the upper Midwest have a broader perspective on life, and how an athletic rivalry fits into the grand scheme of things.

Not sure about that yet... Depends on when it happens and how the teams are doing...

kchats
11-19-2006, 03:22 AM
If the Bison get into the Gateway Football Conference( a very real possibility) it will really put a damper on the supposed rivalry. There isn't a rivalry if you aren't playing for something like a conference championship or a playoff birth. SDSU is dong a great job replacing them as our rival.

CaBisonFan
11-19-2006, 03:23 AM
Serious questions...

There are those who question whether the SDSU / NDSU matchup is a real rivalry like the Bison had in the past with UND. *No doubt it's quite different (it has always appeared to me that the NDSU / UND thing was more akin to pure hatred than rivalry...compare the SDSU / USD rivalry...not as much hatred). *But, what are your thoughts as this game approaches? *Does it have that "feel" that you had before the big ones with UND? *I suspect this is a "big game" but quite different compared to the UND tilts in the old days.

This felt more like the old Bison games. I'd compare it more to a great playoff game. SDSU was an outstanding team. I was impressed. It could have turned on a dime.

Jeffdaryl3rd
11-19-2006, 04:48 AM
I think that this game is a huge step towards this game becoming a big-time rivalry. Coming into this game most of us were thinking that the Bison would absolutely crush SDSU, and they came in and played a great game. I hope it launches this rivalry. I say that if in the future we play UND, we do it only in years where we have a BCS conference school on the schedule and for no guarantee. That keeps the rivalry going for those who want it, but we demonstrate that SDSU is our new rival, which they are. Except for the foot-wiping on the logo in the endzone, SDSU has been classy all the way.

BisonBacker
11-19-2006, 04:57 AM
JBB say what you will, hate the Fighting Fire Trucks all you want, but the Jacks have never matched up to the intensity of the rivalry we have with the Fighting Fire trucks. *Maybe to you, the rivalry with little bunny fufu is a big deal, but to the average North Dakotan it is not as big as Bison/Fire Truck. *Have all the hate you want, I hate them to, but don't downplay it and don't say it doesn't exist....
It doesn't exist. We didn't play the fire trucks did we? nuff said. :D

DIBISON
11-19-2006, 05:12 AM
Again, there is no rivalry when there are no games. Tonights game with SDSU that set an all time attendance record shows where the current rival is the Jacks. Move on people, it will never be the same. Live today not in the past. If it happens again great, but there has been no Bison-und for how may years??

JackJD
11-19-2006, 05:39 AM
One of the posters on this thread pointed out that in towns across North Dakota, a Bison fan will have a neighbor who is a Sioux fan. That "connection" does not exist with SDSU...SDSU alums living in ND are probably difficult to find. So, the "rivalvry" with SDSU will never be the same as the one you had with UND.

Now, that having been said, I just got home from the game and, damn, that was fun even though the Jacks got beat. It was a great atmosphere, a great crowd and some very good, clean, hard-hitting football. I said on another thread that the TD from the punt return really hurt.

The Bison played a great game and beat a very good Jackrabbit team which is representative of a program on a sharp improvement curve. I look forward to your trip to Coughlin Alumni Stadium next fall.

You were great hosts today. Thanks. Congrats.

sambini
11-19-2006, 12:43 PM
Thanks JackJD SEE YOU FOLKS IN BROOKINGS NEXT FALL+++++++++++++

Bob_Holiday
11-19-2006, 01:56 PM
It always slays me when some of you guys talk about the lack of atmosphere in the Fargo dome. Just because it doesn't echo like the Metrodome and you can understand what the public address announcer says doesn't make it bad. Last night was the biggest game of the young men on the fields lives and the only thing you want to talk about is when are we going to play UND and how terrible the venue is. I definitely don't see it in the same light you do. To me the place was rocking last night and an all-time attendance record was set for your "contrived" rivalry!
Bob Holiday

WYOBISONMAN
11-19-2006, 02:06 PM
It always slays me when some of you guys talk about the lack of atmosphere in the Fargo dome. *Just because it doesn't echo like the Metrodome and you can understand what the public address announcer says doesn't make it bad. *Last night was the biggest game of the young men on the fields lives and the only thing you want to talk about is when are we going to play UND and how terrible the venue is. *I definitely don't see it in the same light you do. *To me the place was rocking last night and an all-time attendance record was set for your "contrived" rivalry!
Bob Holiday

I agree 110%!!

THEsocalledfan
11-19-2006, 02:14 PM
One of the posters on this thread pointed out that in towns across North Dakota, a Bison fan will have a neighbor who is a Sioux fan. *That "connection" does not exist with SDSU...SDSU alums living in ND are probably difficult to find. *So, the "rivalvry" with SDSU will never be the same as the one you had with UND.

Seems like the Jacks fans understand this better than many Bison fans. I am convinced most of the Bison fans who want to "move on" did not grow up in North Dakota. When I point this out, the silence is deafening.....

Yes, they were dumb in not moving up; yes, they have a stupid President who has set their football program back 10 years, but when you grow up in North Dakota, some of your earliest memories are watching that game. It was like a holiday at my house with my mom a UND alumni and my dad an NDSU alumni. Don't tell me to move on; that is completely insensative. I am fine with disagreeing, but some of us will never move on and be just as big of Bison supporters as the rest of you who did not grow up in North Dakota.

Bob_Holiday
11-19-2006, 02:24 PM
I grew up and still live in central North Dakota. I grew up in an NDSU house and hated the Sioux all my life, but the bulk of the young men on the field know very little or nothing about the rivalry. It is their game and their rivals are the Jackrabbits. Until that changes I am with them.
Bob

99Bison
11-19-2006, 02:24 PM
No offense, but moving on is part of life...

Gothmog
11-19-2006, 02:39 PM
One of the posters on this thread pointed out that in towns across North Dakota, a Bison fan will have a neighbor who is a Sioux fan. *That "connection" does not exist with SDSU...SDSU alums living in ND are probably difficult to find. *So, the "rivalvry" with SDSU will never be the same as the one you had with UND.

Seems like the Jacks fans understand this better than many Bison fans. *I am convinced most of the Bison fans who want to "move on" did not grow up in North Dakota. *When I point this out, the silence is deafening.....

Yes, they were dumb in not moving up; yes, they have a stupid President who has set their football program back 10 years, but when you grow up in North Dakota, some of your earliest memories are watching that game. *It was like a holiday at my house with my mom a UND alumni and my dad an NDSU alumni. *Don't tell me to move on; that is completely insensative. *I am fine with disagreeing, but some of us will never move on and be just as big of Bison supporters as the rest of you who did not grow up in North Dakota.

Well, I was born and raised in North Dakota. I have many relatives and friends who attended both NDSU and UND. In my opinion, the rivalry between NDSU and UND had become a very negative and malignant thing for everyone concerned. It diminished both schools and both schools are better off without it. NDSU's rivalry with SDSU has a much more positive feel to it. A rivalry based on mutual respect and shared interest instead of hatred and jealousy - what a concept!

I hope that NDSU does not schedule UND again for a very long time.

1bizon1
11-19-2006, 02:46 PM
GOTHMOG.......I could not agree with you more!!!!! 2000% and I never want to play them again! And not because of the fear of losing. The animosity between these teams fans is, for the most part, terrible. I, for one, do not miss it one bit!
Our new rivals and may I add friends, are the Jacks. Great team, great coaches and great fans. PERIOD!!!!!
'Nuf said.....

drewaely
11-19-2006, 02:47 PM
[quote author=JackJD link=1163829527/30#33 date=1163918373]One of the posters on this thread pointed out that in towns across North Dakota, a Bison fan will have a neighbor who is a Sioux fan. That "connection" does not exist with SDSU...SDSU alums living in ND are probably difficult to find. So, the "rivalvry" with SDSU will never be the same as the one you had with UND.

Seems like the Jacks fans understand this better than many Bison fans. I am convinced most of the Bison fans who want to "move on" did not grow up in North Dakota. When I point this out, the silence is deafening.....

Yes, they were dumb in not moving up; yes, they have a stupid President who has set their football program back 10 years, but when you grow up in North Dakota, some of your earliest memories are watching that game. It was like a holiday at my house with my mom a UND alumni and my dad an NDSU alumni. Don't tell me to move on; that is completely insensative. I am fine with disagreeing, but some of us will never move on and be just as big of Bison supporters as the rest of you who did not grow up in North Dakota.

Well, I was born and raised in North Dakota. I have many relatives and friends who attended both NDSU and UND. In my opinion, the rivalry between NDSU and UND had become a very negative and malignant thing for everyone concerned. It diminished both schools and both schools are better off without it. NDSU's rivalry with SDSU has a much more positive feel to it. A rivalry based on mutual respect and shared interest instead of hatred and jealousy - what a concept!

I hope that NDSU does not schedule UND again for a very long time.

I grew up in Fargo, had season tickets at Dacotah and the FFD... This "rivalry" that you all talk about is dead. While my personal rival growing up and during my days at NDSU was always UND, in order to have a rival you need to play games.

Also, the point above about the athletes at NDSU... They have NEVER played UND and without playing if you were to ask them who their rival is.... they would not say UND. Rivals are not something that fans create but more something that athletes compare themselves to and against.

99Bison
11-19-2006, 02:47 PM
GOTHMOG.......I could not agree with you more!!!!! 2000% and I never want to play them again! And not because of the fear of losing. The animosity between these teams fans is, for the most part, terrible. I, for one, do not miss it one bit!
Our new rivals and may I add friends, are the Jacks. Great team, great coaches and great fans. PERIOD!!!!!
'Nuf said.....

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

drewaely
11-19-2006, 02:51 PM
It always slays me when some of you guys talk about the lack of atmosphere in the Fargo dome. Just because it doesn't echo like the Metrodome and you can understand what the public address announcer says doesn't make it bad. Last night was the biggest game of the young men on the fields lives and the only thing you want to talk about is when are we going to play UND and how terrible the venue is. I definitely don't see it in the same light you do. To me the place was rocking last night and an all-time attendance record was set for your "contrived" rivalry!
Bob Holiday

No offense Bob but when we say that the FFD lacks atmosphere it's entirely due to the fact that 20% of the fans are making 99% of the noise.... Generally, I don't complain about the people with tickets (inside the 30 yard lines) but when it comes to gameday and cheering on the Herd they are horrible and BORING!

Sure, last night may have been different -- as even the casual fan in Fargo is jazzed about this team. That being said, since the FFD opened and 19,000 tickets became available most of the fans in attendance are there for social reasons -- not the game.

sambini
11-19-2006, 02:52 PM
+++++++++++++++++++++

Shawn-O
11-19-2006, 02:53 PM
There is a West Point guy and an Annapolis guy working on this, who understand a thing or two about rivalries. This game will be back on the schedule, and soon....whether you like it or not.

westsidebison
11-19-2006, 03:01 PM
One of the posters on this thread pointed out that in towns across North Dakota, a Bison fan will have a neighbor who is a Sioux fan. That "connection" does not exist with SDSU...SDSU alums living in ND are probably difficult to find. So, the "rivalvry" with SDSU will never be the same as the one you had with UND.

Now, that having been said, I just got home from the game and, damn, that was fun even though the Jacks got beat. It was a great atmosphere, a great crowd and some very good, clean, hard-hitting football. I said on another thread that the TD from the punt return really hurt.

The Bison played a great game and beat a very good Jackrabbit team which is representative of a program on a sharp improvement curve. I look forward to your trip to Coughlin Alumni Stadium next fall.

You were great hosts today. Thanks. Congrats.
The Jacks are a damn GOOD football team! In "07" the Great West race runs through the Dakotas!!

broke_back_mnt
11-19-2006, 03:01 PM
Great game great atmosphere. Biggest game ever at the Fabulous Fargo Dome. Our suite party was as great a party as we have had all year, and its been a blast. The suite was packed!!!

I really enjoyed the SDSU fans. Mutual respect and competition. That is very good. No splitting the fan base here, all that game did was send home 19,000 people that are pumped on DI-AA football.

Everybody I met from SDSU and I tried to talk to as many as I could confirmed it. THis is a rivalry of the highest order, its civilized, respectfull and competitive. Its fun!!!! that other one was not and we would be foolish to return to it any time soon.

Thanks to the whole bunch of us that are raising NDSU FOOTBALL to new heights. It is the "Third Wave" of our legendary program!!!

GO BISON!!!!

Gothmog
11-19-2006, 03:54 PM
There is a West Point guy and an Annapolis guy working on this, who understand a thing or two about rivalries. *This game will be back on the schedule, and soon....whether you like it or not. *

Well, that may be, personally I hope not.

In any case, yesterday's game in Fargo refutes the notion that NDSU needs an athletic rivalry with UND. It already has a far more postive and entertaining rivalry with SDSU.

On the other hand, the game in Grand Forks proves exactly who needs whom.

kchats
11-19-2006, 04:01 PM
The Gateway Conference will kill that dream Shawn O. The only way UND gets on NDSU's schedule if NDSU is in the Gateway is for a guarantee. NDSU will not be traveling to UND to play because NDSU will want 6 home games every year and playing at an out of conference UND does not help that cause. Will UND be happy playing only in Fargo? I doubt it.

Shawn-O
11-19-2006, 04:05 PM
The Gateway Conference will kill that dream Shawn O. *The only way UND gets on NDSU's schedule if NDSU is in the Gateway is for a guarantee. *NDSU will not be traveling to UND to play because NDSU will want 6 home games every year and playing at an out of conference UND does not help that cause. *Will UND be happy playing only in Fargo? *I doubt it.

NDSU will get the first two at Fargodome. Any demands beyond that will be a potential dealbreaker, I agree with you.

kchats
11-19-2006, 04:07 PM
Every team wants 6 home games and that means NDSU will have 2 I-AA home games and a I-A road game every season. Seasons they can't get 2 I-AA home games they will play at 2 I-As.

lakesbison
11-19-2006, 04:12 PM
NO F$%$$*CKIN SIOUX GAME!! EVER!!!

QUIT FE$R#AKING POSTING THIS CRAP!!

ITS OVER>>> ITS DEAD!!!

SHUT UP!!!

16,577 FANS ON AVERAGE... WE DONT NEED THE GAME!!!!

QUIT IT!! ALL OF YOU!!

Bisonfreak
11-19-2006, 04:25 PM
xactly Lakes - sue is the past!!!! Don't need'em, don'e want'm!!!! The SDSU fans and relationship is soooo much better!

DenverBison05
11-19-2006, 06:40 PM

Seems like the Jacks fans understand this better than many Bison fans. *I am convinced most of the Bison fans who want to "move on" did not grow up in North Dakota. *When I point this out, the silence is deafening.....

Yes, they were dumb in not moving up; yes, they have a stupid President who has set their football program back 10 years, but when you grow up in North Dakota, some of your earliest memories are watching that game. *It was like a holiday at my house with my mom a UND alumni and my dad an NDSU alumni. *Don't tell me to move on; that is completely insensative. *I am fine with disagreeing, but some of us will never move on and be just as big of Bison supporters as the rest of you who did not grow up in North Dakota.

Im going to half agree with you. Im going to compare our situation with Michigan. Talking to a friend of mine who is a huge Michigan supporter (i.e. she just spent $1000 to get tickets to the game yesterday) she says that to her (she didnt grow up in Michigan) Michigan's greatest rival is Ohio State, while to the members of her family that grew up in Michigan, UofMichigan's greatest rival is Michigan State. I think you may see a similar pattern developing here where out of staters like me will lean towards the rivalry with SDSU, and in-staters will lean more towards the rivalry with UND. But thats just my 2cents.

BisonBacker
11-19-2006, 06:51 PM
I grew up and still live in central North Dakota. *I grew up in an NDSU house and hated the Sioux all my life, but the bulk of the young men on the field know very little or nothing about the rivalry. *It is their game and their rivals are the Jackrabbits. *Until that changes I am with them.
Bob
Amen Bob!

BisonBacker
11-19-2006, 06:52 PM
GOTHMOG.......I could not agree with you more!!!!! *2000% and I never want to play them again! *And not because of the fear of losing. *The animosity between these teams fans is, for the most part, terrible. *I, for one, do not miss it one bit! *
Our new rivals and may I add friends, are the Jacks. *Great team, great coaches and great fans. *PERIOD!!!!!
'Nuf said.....
Amen 1Bizon!

BisonBacker
11-19-2006, 06:55 PM
It always slays me when some of you guys talk about the lack of atmosphere in the Fargo dome. *Just because it doesn't echo like the Metrodome and you can understand what the public address announcer says doesn't make it bad. *Last night was the biggest game of the young men on the fields lives and the only thing you want to talk about is when are we going to play UND and how terrible the venue is. *I definitely don't see it in the same light you do. *To me the place was rocking last night and an all-time attendance record was set for your "contrived" rivalry!
Bob Holiday

No offense Bob but when we say that the FFD lacks atmosphere it's entirely due to the fact that 20% of the fans are making 99% of the noise.... Generally, I don't complain about the people with tickets (inside the 30 yard lines) but when it comes to gameday and cheering *on the Herd they are horrible and BORING!

Sure, last night may have been different -- as even the casual fan in Fargo is jazzed about this team. *That being said, since the FFD opened and 19,000 tickets became available most of the fans in attendance are there for social reasons -- not the game.

You couldn't be more wrong. I don't know what the hell game you were at yesterday but that was no social outing. That was a rivalry game and it had every aspect of a rivalry game. It meant something to the players and the fans. If your going to post please post something that resembles an informed intelligent comment.

BisonBacker
11-19-2006, 06:56 PM
There is a West Point guy and an Annapolis guy working on this, who understand a thing or two about rivalries. *This game will be back on the schedule, and soon....whether you like it or not. *
Dream on, as much as you may want this I just looked at our schedule and I did not see the fighting fire trucks on our schedule. ;D

Jeffdaryl3rd
11-19-2006, 07:43 PM
We have 4 games to schedule for next year. One will be either a cupcake 1-AA team (ala Valpo) or a title-contending D-II team (Nebraska-Omaha?). I think that next year definitely won't be the year we play the Fighting Fire Trucks.

broke_back_mnt
11-19-2006, 09:07 PM
Im still hoping for at least 1 more Gateway team to step up. *It would also be great to play another Ball State type game. *Maybe with the $100,000 we got from Montana State we could afford to get a Ball State type game here in Fargo?*

No fire trucks allowed. *Too much hatin. *Heck their president moved from Missouri. *An educated man with no knowledge about North Dakota higher education. *It took about a year and he was publicly hatin NDSU, over seeing the Fargo Campus scandal and the On Line Pharmacy debacle.

Thats a measure of the campus culture up there and a meaningful reason to stay away from them on all fronts lest of all providing them with the lever to split the College sports market in the Great State of North Dakota. *Right now it is ours and games like yesterday made it grow in a lot of *fundimental ways.

Admin: Any more UND talk of any kind and you'll be banned for a month.

HerdBot
11-19-2006, 09:16 PM
The rivalry was a bit contrived but I must say that it really has picked up the "feel" of a major rival. *SDSU winning in Brookings 2 years ago certainly helped that. *It's the game of the year in the Fargodome, fabulous or not.

I don't think it was contrived at all. We've been playing SDSU for 100 years. We play in the same conference and it's a natural rivalry for the only D1 schools in North or South Dakota!

NDSUFREAK10
11-19-2006, 09:20 PM
We have 4 games to schedule for next year. *One will be either a cupcake 1-AA team (ala Valpo) or a title-contending D-II team (Nebraska-Omaha?). *I think that next year definitely won't be the year we play the Fighting Fire Trucks.

I don't want to see the BISON play a DII team next year. I am sick of DII.

Gully
11-20-2006, 12:28 AM
The rivalry was a bit contrived but I must say that it really has picked up the "feel" of a major rival. *SDSU winning in Brookings 2 years ago certainly helped that. *It's the game of the year in the Fargodome, fabulous or not.

I don't think it was contrived at all. We've been playing SDSU for 100 years. We play in the same conference and it's a natural rivalry for the only D1 schools in North or South Dakota!

Well, I can't argue with the facts you presented but I'm not sure it proves they were our rival. If you go back 6 years, I don't think you'd have found anyone naming SDSU our rival. UNC, UNO, and possibly Pitt State would have been mentioned but probably not SDSU.

No_Skill
11-20-2006, 01:00 AM
Quit living in the past. Times change. Programs change.

THEsocalledfan
11-20-2006, 01:01 AM

Im going to half agree with you. *Im going to compare our situation with Michigan. *Talking to a friend of mine who is a huge Michigan supporter (i.e. she just spent $1000 to get tickets to the game yesterday) she says that to her (she didnt grow up in Michigan) Michigan's greatest rival is Ohio State, while to the members of her family that grew up in Michigan, UofMichigan's greatest rival is Michigan State. *I think you may see a similar pattern developing here where out of staters like me will lean towards the rivalry with SDSU, and in-staters will lean more towards the rivalry with UND. *But thats just my 2cents.

I can buy that.

sambini
11-20-2006, 02:52 AM
Our rivals will change in time. I agree+++++

West-River_Jack
11-20-2006, 03:35 AM
Congratulations on a great Bison win. *I listened to a lot of the game and really would have loved to have been there.

I've posted a comment similar to the one I'm posting here on the Coyote forum. *The transition to D1 isn't just about moving to a division with more scholarships and tougher opponents. *It is also about moving to a division where more teams have earned more respect. *It is about learning to respect the opponents for their accomplishments. *This respect extends to the opponents fans, alumni, students, and faculty. *Yes, I know that there will always be exceptions. *But these are programs which have earned respect and, for the most part, these are programs which should pay respect when it has been earned.

I think that this game is a good example that the XDSU's have moved into this new era of new respect. *Leaving those old attitudes behind feels really good.

Again, ladies and gentlemen of the Bison Nation, congratulations. *I can hardly wait until next year.

Best regards,
WRJ

BisonSig
11-20-2006, 05:03 AM
Bob Holiday

No offense Bob but when we say that the FFD lacks atmosphere it's entirely due to the fact that 20% of the fans are making 99% of the noise.... Generally, I don't complain about the people with tickets (inside the 30 yard lines) but when it comes to gameday and cheering on the Herd they are horrible and BORING!

Sure, last night may have been different -- as even the casual fan in Fargo is jazzed about this team. That being said, since the FFD opened and 19,000 tickets became available most of the fans in attendance are there for social reasons -- not the game.

You couldn't be more wrong. I don't know what the hell game you were at yesterday but that was no social outing. That was a rivalry game and it had every aspect of a rivalry game. It meant something to the players and the fans. If your going to post please post something that resembles an informed intelligent comment.

Correct, yesterday's game the crowd was very good. He wasn't referring to yesterday's game when he said 20% were making 99% of the noise. He was referring to the other home games this year and every year since the dome was built.
And I was at all the home games this year and the gopher game. I have made it to many games since the dome was built, I know when I see people talking on their cell phones not paying attention to the game, or sitting quietly, or doing something other then cheering. Not to mention if its a blow out of a game most are gone at half time or the latest the 3rd quarter (CSP, MVSU).

This game was a rivalry game and thank god for it, but I as a team maker and season ticket holder what noisy crowds like that every game. Its called home field advantage for a reason. We, the crowd are the 12th man. We cause offenses to make false starts, we get in the head of the opposing teams and we support our players, for every game, all game long.

Don't be so arrogant, telling someone they couldn't be more wrong when you don't even take the time to understand what they are saying. READ, then think, then respond or not.

Jeffdaryl3rd
11-20-2006, 06:19 AM
We have 4 games to schedule for next year. *One will be either a cupcake 1-AA team (ala Valpo) or a title-contending D-II team (Nebraska-Omaha?). *I think that next year definitely won't be the year we play the Fighting Fire Trucks.

I don't want to see the BISON play a DII team next year. I am sick of DII.

I couldn't agree with you more. However, last year when the schedule was getting put together I remember Gene Taylor saying something along the lines of this year being the exception when they play 2 1-A games and that he'd like to see a D-II game to balance the 1-A game. After this season maybe that has changed, but I guess if we are going to end up with a D-II game it would be nice to have this year's NC winner.

Gully
11-20-2006, 11:30 AM
Quit living in the past. *Times change. *Programs change. *

If you would have read my first post on this thread you would see that was my point....that the game with SDSU has "changed" into the feal of a real rivalry. I'm not living in the past, just pointing out that they were not a big rival a few years back.

broke_back_mnt
11-20-2006, 12:08 PM
At one time Fargo College was without a doubt our greatest rival. Whos heard of them? Things change. Lets just hope things dont get rolled back, although I doubt we will see Fargo College. They closed their doors several years after the rivalry was ended and we no longer played.

Gully
11-20-2006, 10:56 PM
If you don't think we'll be playing UND in the next few years you're really kidding yourself. Disagree all you want, but I think it will happen.

kchats
11-22-2006, 03:57 AM
Only in Fargo with a guarantee payment. NDSU won't be in their conference (Gateway for NDSU, Great West possibly for UND) no rotation of home games and since UND is the independent and NDSU is in the established conference NDSU is in the drivers seat. Will UND accept a guarantee to play the Bison? Would they do that every year? I kind of doubt it so they might opt not to play since NDSU won't be playing them in GF.

lakesbison
11-22-2006, 04:03 AM
SHUT UP@!!! LA LA LA LA LA !!!!

PLEASE SHOOT ME!!!!!