PDA

View Full Version : 2012 FCS Playoffs Semifinals: Georgia Southern

Pages : [1] 2

b15on
12-08-2012, 09:43 PM
Georgia Southern ran for 602 yards and QB Jerick McKinnon had 4 TD as the triple option attack beat Old Dominion 49-35

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/georgia-southern-rally-ousts-old-210033058--ncaaf.html

Here's the TV slots for FCS games next weekend:
ESPN2 on Friday at 7:00
ESPNU on Saturday at 3:00

tony
12-08-2012, 09:46 PM
I watched the GSU v ODU game... the only thing that stopped Georgia Southern's offense was penalties or turnovers... they could have score 77 pretty easily on ODU.

phxbison
12-08-2012, 10:08 PM
I watched the GSU v ODU game... the only thing that stopped Georgia Southern's offense was penalties or turnovers... they could have score 77 pretty easily on ODU.You're right Tony but, he could'nt hit a 16'x16' wall with a pass if he was standing 10' in front of it either. Let's hope we can remember how we defended their option last year.

BisonTeacher
12-08-2012, 10:08 PM
I watched the GSU v ODU game... the only thing that stopped Georgia Southern's offense was penalties or turnovers... they could have score 77 pretty easily on ODU.

The good news for us is they dont pass much. i think we would have had a harder time against ODU...IMO.

SafeTeeJ
12-08-2012, 10:15 PM
Not feeling it for next week......GSU will get their yards on O. But not feeling good about our O.

Hammerhead
12-08-2012, 10:17 PM
Well, GSU did give up 35 points to ODU.

tony
12-08-2012, 10:19 PM
You're right Tony but, he could'nt hit a 16'x16' wall with a pass if he was standing 10' in front of it either. Let's hope we can remember how we defended their option last year.

I was more making a comment on ODU. They have some talent, especially on defensive line, but they still manage to be terrible on defense.

GSU looked like a championship contender too, of course. It was really fun to see the option run well - at least as long as it's not NDSU defending it.

Snowgoose
12-08-2012, 10:24 PM
Not feeling it for next week......GSU will get their yards on O. But not feeling good about our O.

I am not feeling good about our o either especially our passing game. The only about our d that worries me is if we got beat up bad in this game or not as it was definitely a slobberknocker.

NDSUstudent
12-08-2012, 10:24 PM

GSU's defense is a lot different than Woffords, I think people forget just how great Wofford played against an SEC team in South Carolina and the also put the clamps on GSU. That said our Offense just needs to stop turning the ball over....just some stupid mistakes today.

ndsubison1
12-08-2012, 10:28 PM
Well, GSU did give up 35 points to ODU.

odu has a great offense

WYOBISONMAN
12-08-2012, 10:36 PM
Our O is very troublesome. I too am concerned about next week. No more of this pick 6 crap.

Sent from my Incredible 2 using Tapatalk 2

G_Funky
12-08-2012, 10:40 PM
watched most of the GSU - ODU game...to me it looked like the GSU pass defense was exposed. ODU wasnt just completing passes but they were running for 10+ yards after the catch. I know some of this had to do with GSU trying to eliminate the deep ball but I can see Smith and Vaadeland (if he catches the ball) having a day across the middle. I dont predict a win like last year. The GSU qb this year is far more athletic, he actually played the other positions in the offensive backfield before they decided he needed to get more touches, and they will have a little better understanding of the Bison gameplan against them. I take a 24-14 Bison victory.

GSUDeltaChi
12-08-2012, 10:42 PM
Looking forward to the rematch. We will have more speed this year and a lot more healthy. See you in Fargo.

NDSUBowler
12-08-2012, 10:54 PM
Just booked my plane ticket to Fargo for the game! Thank you Allegiant for $260 round trip flight!

Bison"FANatic"
12-08-2012, 11:08 PM
This is going to be a very hard nosed slobber knocker of a game.

Dudzick will need the game of his life. Helps coming off Woffard. Our O needs to find some life as we can't rely on the other teams penalties to keep drives going.

A1pigskin
12-08-2012, 11:09 PM
602 yards is a crazy amount.

NDSUBowler
12-08-2012, 11:11 PM
Anyone know when tickets will go on sale?

I am sure it is the same time as previous weeks, but I don't know what that time is.

Thanks in advance.

Bison03
12-08-2012, 11:16 PM
I am still amazed when people doubt a football team and their ability to win when that team's record is 26-2 the past two years. Sure there are things that can be improved. No game is perfect. But the Bison are a damn good football team.

badger04
12-08-2012, 11:21 PM
I agree!! Go Bison

Wally
12-08-2012, 11:22 PM
It will be interesting to see the defensive gameplan. Obviously, heagle isn't around this year and he was a major player in the scheme last year. Dudzik is going to have to step up big time if he is going to play that role next week. I really didn't notice him outside of one big tackle today, but I could be mistaken.

CalBison97
12-08-2012, 11:30 PM
Looking forward to the rematch. We will have more speed this year and a lot more healthy. See you in Fargo.

And we're pretty beat up. It's gonna hurt without Heagle and DL Perry. This time around should be closer. Hopefully our offense can get untracked. Not sure how much more relying on our Def we can take.

G_Funky
12-08-2012, 11:39 PM
It will be interesting to see the defensive gameplan. Obviously, heagle isn't around this year and he was a major player in the scheme last year. Dudzik is going to have to step up big time if he is going to play that role next week. I really didn't notice him outside of one big tackle today, but I could be mistaken.

Neither safety stuck out today. Im sure they are going to have either Dudzik or Ollman play more of a role it will be gameplanned in. Didnt seem like the coaches were utilizing either safety as basically another linebacker like they did against GSU last year. Could be a variation of the TO that the coaches didnt feel they wanted an extra safety in the box or could be bc the Bison front 7 are freaks. Regardless the whole defense is going to have to show up, like they have for the last 27 games

CalBison97
12-08-2012, 11:42 PM
Neither safety stuck out today. Im sure they are going to have either Dudzik or Ollman play more of a role it will be gameplanned in. Didnt seem like the coaches were utilizing either safety as basically another linebacker like they did against GSU last year. Could be a variation of the TO that the coaches didnt feel they wanted an extra safety in the box or could be bc the Bison front 7 are freaks. Regardless the whole defense is going to have to show up, like they have for the last 27 games

Seemed Wofford ran alot more up the middle with Breit. GSU strings it out more using their speed. That's when Dudzik/Ollman will get their opportunity to make a (Heagle) statement.

pike51
12-09-2012, 12:09 AM
Well, I guess we get to do this again! Howdy boys, we're back! Looking forward to another great game with you. Hopefully, the outcome will be different this time. Don't forget to visit us on gsufans.com

Oh... BUTTBAMA!

MNLonghorn10
12-09-2012, 12:19 AM
gsu 52

ndsu 10

HoopsBison
12-09-2012, 12:23 AM
ESPN is pushing hard for a Friday game, I dont want it but I wouldnt be shocked at all if we are playing Friday night.

CalBison97
12-09-2012, 12:32 AM
ESPN is pushing hard for a Friday game, I dont want it but I wouldnt be shocked at all if we are playing Friday night.

Would they really overrule graduation ceremonies? In essence they would be saying sports is more important (obviously for ESPN it is!).

Bison bison
12-09-2012, 12:34 AM
Commencement was yesterday.

td577
12-09-2012, 12:42 AM
I have a feeling if ewu wins, they are hosting shsu on Friday night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1998braves64
12-09-2012, 12:43 AM
Oh... BUTTBAMA!

No it's ButtBULL! this year since you played Georgia! :)

CalBison97
12-09-2012, 12:46 AM
gsu 52

ndsu 10

With the way these 2 offenses are performing, I just might finally believe you! :hide:

IzzyFlexion
12-09-2012, 12:49 AM
I have a feeling if ewu wins, they are hosting shsu on Friday night.

So. Are you saying that "that time of the month" will officially be December 14th? :biggrin:

http://www.bloomberg.com/image/i0hAI0dXnpZ0.jpg

HoopsBison
12-09-2012, 12:49 AM
Would they really overrule graduation ceremonies? In essence they would be saying sports is more important (obviously for ESPN it is!).

Will come down to NCAA and their decision. NDSU will push hard for Sat and ESPN will push for Friday. Ceremony is set for 4pm, not sure how long the fall one last but game would be at 7pm, definitely not ideal and parking would be a mess. Does EWU have any ceremonies this weekend?

Hansel
12-09-2012, 12:52 AM
ISUr is making a run. I could see ESPN wanting ISUr at SHSU on a Friday night.

bri-dog
12-09-2012, 12:53 AM
Seemed Wofford ran alot more up the middle with Breit. GSU strings it out more using their speed. That's when Dudzik/Ollman will get their opportunity to make a (Heagle) statement.

Absolutely!! (well, IMO). Hard for Dudzik & Co to get tackles as many time as WC ran it inside....

td577
12-09-2012, 12:55 AM
So. Are you saying that "that time of the month" will officially be December 14th? :biggrin:

http://www.bloomberg.com/image/i0hAI0dXnpZ0.jpg

Man that field is giving me a headache.

If ewu wins tonight the Friday night game really only effects one team and they will be hosting. So it would actually be about even with the beerkitties losing a day for travel.

IzzyFlexion
12-09-2012, 12:59 AM

holy shizz.
gotta click into gameplan and watch this baby play out!

Bisonguy
12-09-2012, 01:09 AM
Will come down to NCAA and their decision. NDSU will push hard for Sat and ESPN will push for Friday. Ceremony is set for 4pm, not sure how long the fall one last but game would be at 7pm, definitely not ideal and parking would be a mess. Does EWU have any ceremonies this weekend?

The ceremony location has always had the BSA as a contingent location in case of hosting a game at the Fargodome.

Wally
12-09-2012, 01:12 AM
What kind of attendance is there for winter commencement?

SafeTeeJ
12-09-2012, 01:18 AM
Ew is pulling away! Fast!

HoopsBison
12-09-2012, 01:24 AM

According to the after show on the radio, ESPN has made it clear they want the NDSU game on Friday night. Its going to be NCAA call.

HoopsBison
12-09-2012, 01:25 AM
The ceremony location has always had the BSA as a contingent location in case of hosting a game at the Fargodome.

Yup, that is correct.

1998braves64
12-09-2012, 01:29 AM
I could see ESPN pushing NDSU Ga South rematch on friday night. hopefully GT can convince NCAA to go saturday.

SafeTeeJ
12-09-2012, 02:04 AM
We need a sat game so Grant's shoulders have time to turn from purple to just blue.

Hammerhead
12-09-2012, 02:20 AM
The Friday night game starts at 5:00 Pacific time so that might be a factor in the NCAA's decision.

Bison bison
12-09-2012, 02:20 AM
According to the after show on the radio, ESPN has made it clear they want the NDSU game on Friday night. Its going to be NCAA call.

So ESPN ($$$) wants it on Friday.

NDSU (scholars) want it on Saturday.

I wonder how the NCAA will decide...

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
12-09-2012, 02:39 AM
I am not looking forward to this game. Our offensive is not near as good as last year and with Heagle and Perry out our D is only as good as last year. If we don't turn the ball over we have a better chance.

By all accounts GSU's D is not near as good as Wofford's so that is a plus and it seems a lot of their fans don't think they are as good as they were last year, so that is a plus as well. If Brock doesn't throw an int. the O will run much smoother as his confindence will be better. If he throws a pick our gameplan goes more conservative and our chances of winning go down.

This game will be much closer than last year. Either team could come out on top in this one.

CC Eagle
12-09-2012, 06:08 AM
it seems a lot of their fans don't think they are as good as they were last year
This game will be much closer than last year. Either team could come out on top in this one.

It's a little strange.

We aren't as consistent on offense and we're more prone to not playing four complete quarters of football. That said, we're more explosive on offense. NDSU did a great job of covering the dive and pitch man last season when our slow QB wasn't a threat to do much more than tuck it and fall forward for a few yards. This year's offense hasn't always looked as smooth, but with McKinnon at QB, it's much more dangerous.

I think that I speak for all GSU fans when I say that we're praying for NDSU to dust off last year's game film and use the same defensive blueprint. If that happens, you're going to be chasing #1 all over the field.

ndsubisonx
12-09-2012, 06:14 AM

sports is more important than grad ceremony. Kids are getting their degrees regardless

ndsubisonx
12-09-2012, 06:17 AM

why would the ncaa decide? Isn't is ultimately up to espn?

DIBISON
12-09-2012, 06:22 AM
It's a little strange.

We aren't as consistent on offense and we're more prone to not playing four complete quarters of football. That said, we're more explosive on offense. NDSU did a great job of covering the dive and pitch man last season when our slow QB wasn't a threat to do much more than tuck it and fall forward for a few yards. This year's offense hasn't always looked as smooth, but with McKinnon at QB, it's much more dangerous.

I think that I speak for all GSU fans when I say that we're praying for NDSU to dust off last year's game film and use the same defensive blueprint. If that happens, you're going to be chasing #1 all over the field.

Coach Bohl and assistants will be well prepared for GSU. Don't have to worry about the game plan, it will come down to the players and the FargoDome atmosphere.

BisonEngrGirl
12-09-2012, 06:24 AM
why would the ncaa decide? Isn't is ultimately up to espn?

No, ESPN is a tv station and can't tell teams when to play their games. College football is governed by the NCAA and the playoffs are NCAA sanctioned events. So, NCAA is the ultimate supreme being scheduling super power. :D

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Tapatalk 2

CC Eagle
12-09-2012, 06:29 AM
Coach Bohl and assistants will be well prepared for GSU. Don't have to worry about the game plan, it will come down to the players and the FargoDome atmosphere.

My point exactly. GSU hasn't been silky smooth this season, but when it comes down to the players, they've got as much talent as anyone else in the country.

DIBISON
12-09-2012, 06:39 AM
My point exactly. GSU hasn't been silky smooth this season, but when it comes down to the players, they've got as much talent as anyone else in the country.

I agree about the talent level, so the Bison fans will have to make the difference!!

CC Eagle
12-09-2012, 06:49 AM
I agree about the talent level, so the Bison fans will have to make the difference!!

I'm sure it'll be plenty loud. But I'm glad to see that your national championship gave you enough money/incentive to put an actual playing surface inside of your dome. If nothing else, it will be nice to watch this week's game and not mistake it for a 1970's baseball game when I look at the carpet.

silkamilkamonico
12-09-2012, 07:04 AM
I'm just glad we got past Wofford, I wasn't liking that matchup. Their FB was a complete matchup nightmare, and the worst kind of player for our defense. GSU can bring all the speed they want, they aren't going to outrun NDSU's defense to the corner, NDSU defense is way too fast. They won't have the bruiser to pump out 3-4 runs every play.

GSU isn't nearly going to be as physical, plus our offense should score some TD's agains their D. NDSU will win this game comfortably.

Gully
12-09-2012, 10:42 AM
This is going to be a classic matchup. The game last year was much closer than the score suggests. I love watching the GSU option.....except for next week.

MNLonghorn10
12-09-2012, 10:44 AM
It's a little strange.

our head coach is from nebraska. i think NDSU is going to be just fine.

IndyBison
12-09-2012, 11:13 AM
No, ESPN is a tv station and can't tell teams when to play their games. College football is governed by the NCAA and the playoffs are NCAA sanctioned events. So, NCAA is the ultimate supreme being scheduling super power. :D

The networks have a lot more pull than you think when it comes to scheduling. I worked an NCAA 1st/2nd round and they swapped the order of the games on day 2 to get a higher rated game later in prime time. The NCAA may have given the final word but it was the network driving it. They are the ones paying the bills much more than ticket buying fans.

pike51
12-09-2012, 12:04 PM
I'm just glad we got past Wofford, I wasn't liking that matchup. Their FB was a complete matchup nightmare, and the worst kind of player for our defense. GSU can bring all the speed they want, they aren't going to outrun NDSU's defense to the corner, NDSU defense is way too fast. They won't have the bruiser to pump out 3-4 runs every play.

GSU isn't nearly going to be as physical, plus our offense should score some TD's agains their D. NDSU will win this game comfortably.

With all due respect to Breitenstein (Wofford FB), our FB Swope is stronger and faster (IMO). He was a freshman last year. Bigger, faster, stronger. It just depends on how our O-Line matches up with your D-Line. I think Wofford is slightly bigger than us up front. Should be n interesting match up.

BisoninNWMN
12-09-2012, 12:12 PM

You said it all right here.

Agree 100%

Wofford was 90% right between the tackles, GSU is more of an outside/perimeter option team.

NDSU wins this by a wider margin compared to the Wofford game.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
12-09-2012, 12:53 PM
With our offense we aren't going to beat anyone by a "wider margin." If we win any more more games this year it will be by one score only.

CalBison97
12-09-2012, 01:03 PM
With all due respect to Breitenstein (Wofford FB), our FB Swope is stronger and faster (IMO). He was a freshman last year. Bigger, faster, stronger. It just depends on how our O-Line matches up with your D-Line. I think Wofford is slightly bigger than us up front. Should be n interesting match up.

I like Swope and think he's got some great assets, but he is not even near the same power RB as Breitenstein. Breit just breaks tackle after tackle and ALWAYS manages to fall forward for an extra yard or 2. Our D-line has been pretty darn phenomenal this year closing down running lanes. The running lanes is what makes Swope and the rest of the GSU option deadly.

CalBison97
12-09-2012, 01:07 PM
This game is going to come down to our offense and if it can score 27-30 pts.

AjaxTheMighty
12-09-2012, 01:52 PM
Running teams are a favorable matchup for NDSU. That is why Da Bizon win this one going away, once again. Butt...not bama, but, our offense is basically sending this message every week: We are going to do the bare minimum to win and we will rely on the best defense ever to watch our backs!

td577
12-09-2012, 02:18 PM
Offensively, we are due for a complete game. Now would be as good a time as any.

Grizzled
12-09-2012, 02:32 PM
What a fun day yesterday!!! Headache and no voice today.

I just watched the GSU game from yesterday. They do run more between the tackles this year than last. Their second fullback/tailback they brought in when Swope got hurt was as physical of a runner as Breinstein was yesterday. Doesn't have breakaway speed but he was lowering the shoulder yesterday.

That being said, I don't think GSU is as good of a football team as Wofford and will struggle on Friday night. I see us winning this one going away.

pike51
12-09-2012, 04:49 PM
That being said, I don't think GSU is as good of a football team as Wofford and will struggle on Friday night. I see us winning this one going away.

Keep thinking that. We beat Wofford without issue this year.

NDSUstudent
12-09-2012, 04:57 PM
With this game being on a short week it was nice to have played a triple option team the week before. My assessment of GSU is that their offense is a bit better(It's more dynamic) and their defense is a bit worse than Wofford's. Should be another close game.

BisonNation11
12-09-2012, 04:58 PM

It's pretty easy to beat a team you see all the time and they basically mirror your style of offense. Real tough challenge there. One thing we have in common: We BOTH beat Wofford. One thing we don't have in common. We HAVE beat you...

IzzyFlexion
12-09-2012, 05:04 PM

OH, good for you!

http://img.perezhilton.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/bale__oPt.jpg

devin45k
12-09-2012, 05:08 PM
Just got second row seats baby

Wally
12-09-2012, 05:11 PM

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/anigif_idc-17858-1311881440-1.gif

BisonTeacher
12-09-2012, 05:11 PM

You won 17 -9. Its not like you destroyed them.

devin45k
12-09-2012, 05:17 PM
You won 17 -9. Its not like you destroyed them.

#southernlogic

unbison
12-09-2012, 05:19 PM
the amazing grant olsens 346 the southern fried no boycubsow screeching ostriches 12

NDSU1980
12-09-2012, 05:26 PM
Keep thinking that. We beat Wofford without issue this year.ButtWofford

MNLonghorn10
12-09-2012, 05:29 PM

and you lost to app st.'s back up qb who happened to lose to wofford

NDSUBowler
12-09-2012, 05:43 PM
Ugh all sold out now and I didn't get tickets.

I guess I try again Wednesday.

If anyone is lucky enough to purchase 2 extra GA tickets, PM me!

Already bought my flight to Fargo so I better get tickets somehow haha.

MNLonghorn10
12-09-2012, 05:45 PM
i was picked up my ticks in the fargodome lobby at like 2:40ish? and there were plenty of people holding up tickets...id go that route if you cant get any online

NDSUBowler
12-09-2012, 05:51 PM
i was picked up my ticks in the fargodome lobby at like 2:40ish? and there were plenty of people holding up tickets...id go that route if you cant get any online
Truth.

I'm not too worried as I usually have a few different routes I can go for tickets.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
12-09-2012, 06:56 PM
Anyone who thinks we win this game by more than one score is delusional. GSU is way faster and just as physical on O as Wofford and our D is gased after yesterday. By all accounts their D isn't quite as good as Wofford's, but they don't have to be that great on D to stop our O. Our offense isn't capable of pulling away from anyone left in playoff field (with the exception of EWU). This will be a tight game all the way through and we will be very lucky to come away with the win.

MNLonghorn10
12-09-2012, 07:08 PM
way faster dont make a shit if the corners are already contained

ndsubison1
12-09-2012, 07:13 PM
Anyone who thinks we win this game by more than one score is delusional. GSU is way faster and just as physical on O as Wofford and our D is gased after yesterday. By all accounts their D isn't quite as good as Wofford's, but they don't have to be that great on D to stop our O. Our offense isn't capable of pulling away from anyone left in playoff field (with the exception of EWU). This will be a tight game all the way through and we will be very lucky to come away with the win.

GSU did beat Wofford but I think Wofford has a better defense. I am very glad we play GSU over ODU, doesnt mean its gonna be easy, but the triple option plays to our strengths. just gotta avoid the turnovers. we could have easily defeated Wofford 21-0, we didnt but if we stay away from the TOs we will win. The GSU pass defense is suspect, something like 63rd in FCS. I think Gebardt will be back which will help. hopefully Smith can play

Wally
12-09-2012, 07:14 PM
Lets not forget the turnover margin last year. Gsu-3, NDSU-0

I know one was fairly deep in their territory and another was deep in our territory.

silkamilkamonico
12-09-2012, 07:28 PM
Wofford had a couple tos too, and they were driving on both drived.

Turnoverd are important stat and you want to win that battle, but im not sure you want to go into a game with that as a focus. Turning their offense over is a little predicated on tjem being careless with tbe ball.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

GSUsTALON
12-09-2012, 08:29 PM
The addition of a new qb to GSUs offense really gives us back all three phases of the triple option & coming from 14 points down at the beginning of the 4th against ODU and winning by 14 points at the end shows that GSU has quick strike capabilities even though we are a ground attack team.( 600 yards of rushing) The only thing that bothers me about the NDSU game this time is that they had a tutorial game against a good option team before meeting GSU which is priceless for preparation against GSU.

I'm not predicting a GSU or NDSU win, but I think this time around it will be a close game.

PS Your Stadium is awesome

CC Eagle
12-09-2012, 08:38 PM
The addition of a new qb to GSUs offense really gives us back all three phases of the triple option & coming from 14 points down at the beginning of the 4th against ODU and winning by 14 points at the end shows that GSU has quick strike capabilities even though we are a ground attack team.( 600 yards of rushing) The only thing that bothers me about the NDSU game this time is that they had a tutorial game against a good option team before meeting GSU which is priceless for preparation against GSU.

I'm not predicting a GSU or NDSU win, but I think this time around it will be a close game.

PS Your Stadium is ausome

There are definitely some benefits for NDSU to have played a run-heavy team right before GSU, but for two teams that run the option, there are quite a few differences between how Wofford and GSU run their offense.

NDSU certainly has the ability slow down GSU, but it won't be able to do it with the same defensive plan that in employed on Saturday - or last season, for that matter.

Swaghook
12-09-2012, 08:49 PM
NDSU certainly has the ability slow down GSU, but it won't be able to do it with the same defensive plan that in employed on Saturday - or last season, for that matter.

I'm sure the coaching staff will game plan accordingly they are not going to breakdown tapes from 2011. They will pick apart film from 2012 come up with schemes to defend the GSU version of the TO and find GSU's weaknesses on D. What helps the players is the basics of defending the TO is still assignment football.

BisoninNWMN
12-09-2012, 08:53 PM

So you are picking GSU to win right?

1st&TennBison
12-09-2012, 10:06 PM
One advantage for us with the GSU triple option is that our defensive speed will be much more of a factor/advantage than it was against Wofford. Woffords style did slow down our defense a little and since GSU runs what I will refer to as a down the line style, containment will be the key. I saw them run up the middle some, but no doubt about it they like to run towards the outside. Since the QB does run quite a bit, getting hits on him will be vital, gotta bang him up a little. They also have a decent sized back with some speed as well. Plus they like to throw a little more than Wofford and seemed to do it well against ODU.
Their defense does seem to have some problems against the pass, so hopefully Brock has his head on straight and we can put up some numbers on them there. Plus yards after the catch as ODU seemed to be able to get quite a bit there. No turnovers will help a lot and god forbid no fricken pick 6's. Slow methodical drives are the best, keep the GSU offense off the field. Pass plays in the 5-10 yard range with yards after the catch. Straight ahead run plays with 60% Crockett ratio should do it.
Easier said than done, but that is my idea of a game plan against GSU.

BisonNeil
12-09-2012, 10:07 PM
Our O is very troublesome. I too am concerned about next week. No more of this pick 6 crap.

Sent from my Incredible 2 using Tapatalk 2

I am with you.

I think GSUs offense is significantly better than last years, but I think their defense is not quite as good.

But, our offense blows and is not a championship quality unit. When your offense gives up nearly as many points as your defense, there is something seriously wrong. I seriously question this defense being able to carry this team against GSU or SHSU (who I predict will mop up the red field with EWU red jerseys).

BisonNeil
12-09-2012, 10:14 PM
Offensively, we are due for a complete game. Now would be as good a time as any.

You must have missed that complete game, it was against YSU on Oct 6. It was fantastic! It's a bitch peaking on offense in the 5th game of the season, however.

westnodak93bison
12-09-2012, 10:16 PM
I'm sure it'll be plenty loud. But I'm glad to see that your national championship gave you enough money/incentive to put an actual playing surface inside of your dome. If nothing else, it will be nice to watch this week's game and not mistake it for a 1970's baseball game when I look at the carpet.

Just be glad the game isn't outside. If it were you southern boys wouldn't stand a chance.

BisonNeil
12-09-2012, 10:17 PM
Anyone who thinks we win this game by more than one score is delusional.

Same people who predicted NDSU would blow out Wofford and that their FB would only get 30 some yards.

The Bison offense isn't capable of blowing out anybody at this point in time. They are freakishly bad for what remains everywhere else a championship quality team.

BisonNeil
12-09-2012, 10:22 PM
Lets not forget the turnover margin last year. Gsu-3, NDSU-0

A completely meaningless statistic. Who cares what happened last year?

Brock has thrown 8 INTs this year in 13 games, only four last year in 15 games, and four pick sixes, none last year.

So, if you want to compare statistics, that would be an appropriate one to consider.

NDSU1980
12-09-2012, 10:26 PM

Brock has thrown 8 INTs this year in 13 games, only four last year in 15 games, and four pick sixes, none last year.

So, if you want to compare statistics, that would be an appropriate one to consider.It's Jensen's INTs/pick 6's that worry me. If he throws more than one pick 6, this could get ugly.

NorthernBison
12-09-2012, 10:29 PM

So, if you want to compare statistics, that would be an appropriate one to consider.

Maybe. I contend that last year's game was WAY CLOSER than 35-7 might indicate and it was because of the turnover margin.

I think GSU is more explosive on offense this year and our defense is better than last year. Our offense and their D are the question marks.

This is likely to be a pick em game and I'm nervous already. I might not make it to Friday.

Swaghook
12-09-2012, 10:31 PM
It's Jensen's INTs/pick 6's that worry me. If he throws more than one pick 6, this could get ugly.

I was extremely worried when he threw the pick 6. I was thinking oh oh here we go again.

northendzone
12-10-2012, 01:04 AM
Here is my break down Eagles Offense after just watching the game - I missed the last 2:36 due to DVR quitting early, so I missed 5-6 offensive plays...

Run

Middle - 35 times
Wide Left - 19 times
Wide Right - 13 times

Pass

Generally from Shotgun or empty back field

Razzle Dazzle

They ran 2-3 razzle dazzle plays.

Other Offensive Game Notes

Limited Audible/Check with Me Plays vs. Last Year
Swope & McKinnon were the majority of the offense.
Swope was unable to play one series late in the game due to injury - returned to game.
Mckinnon was nicked up a bit toward the end of the game (knee/hip) injury.
Running Right wasn't effective, few consistent successes, couple big plays.

ODU Defense Notes

Slow
Poor Tacklers
Out of Position often

Wally
12-10-2012, 01:18 AM

Turnover margin is a meaningless statistic? It's one of the most telling statistics in football. Ask the 2009 Minnesota Vikings about the NFC title game vs NO. I know last years TO margin has nothing to do with this year's game. If you can't understand that TO margin is a huge determinant of whether a team wins or loses a football game, then I don't know what to tell you.

CC Eagle
12-10-2012, 01:33 AM
Here is my break down Eagles Offense after just watching the game - I missed the last 2:36 due to DVR quitting early, so I missed 5-6 offensive plays...

Run

Middle - 35 times
Wide Left - 19 times
Wide Right - 13 times

Pass

Razzle Dazzle

Swope was unable to play one series late in the game due to injury - returned to game.

ODU Defense Notes

Slow
Poor Tacklers
Out of Position often

Not far off the mark, but a few things...

McKinnon and Swope are the two biggest threats and will make up the majority of the carries, but they are far from the only Eagles capable of doing damage. On Saturday, three other ball carriers (four if you count Scott's one run for 16 yards) averaged more than 10 yards per carry with all three getting four or more touches.

The passing game isn't a strength by any means, but it will generate from any number of sets. Generally, the passes coming out of shotgun and empty sets are even less effective since we usually run those plays in obvious passing situations... Below average passing team + need-to-pass situation + passing formation = easy math. The dangerous plays for NDSU would be the perfect-storm combination of a pass attempt early in the game coming out of the normal flexbone set and catching the Bison with the safeties cheating up. It doesn't need to go for a touchdown and GSU doesn't need to hit on the play more than once or twice. Without a great passing QB or speed demon receivers, the early passes seek only to ensure that opponents can't sell out on the run all day long.

Good job documenting the demographics of the run game on Saturday, but it's the overall scheme of the offense - not the tendencies - that matter. Even GSU fans would be lying if we told you that any given game would feature more dives, QB keepers or pitches. With a defense as talented as NDSU, it's going to be a cat-and-mouse game. If the Bison disguise where the strength of their defense will be, Eagles will run right into unblocked defenders. If McKinnon reads it right, there will be room to run for big yardage, be it left, right or up the gut. Not that McKinnon is a trump card, but it's very hard to overestimate just how much a great running option at QB changes the matchup from last season.

There aren't a ton of audibles in terms of totally changing the play, but nearly every play is finalized only when both the offense and defense are set. It might be something as simple as flipping the direction of the play, but there are checks and audibles on almost every play. This goes back to the previous point of recognizing the strength of the defense. If McKinnon can walk up to the line and not have to communicate any info once he surveys the defense, things are about to go very well or very poorly, depending on how well the defense has disguised itself.

CalBison97
12-10-2012, 02:11 AM

McKinnon and Swope are the two biggest threats and will make up the majority of the carries, but they are far from the only Eagles capable of doing damage. On Saturday, three other ball carriers (four if you count Scott's one run for 16 yards) averaged more than 10 yards per carry with all three getting four or more touches.

The passing game isn't a strength by any means, but it will generate from any number of sets. Generally, the passes coming out of shotgun and empty sets are even less effective since we usually run those plays in obvious passing situations... Below average passing team + need-to-pass situation + passing formation = easy math. The dangerous plays for NDSU would be the perfect-storm combination of a pass attempt early in the game coming out of the normal flexbone set and catching the Bison with the safeties cheating up. It doesn't need to go for a touchdown and GSU doesn't need to hit on the play more than once or twice. Without a great passing QB or speed demon receivers, the early passes seek only to ensure that opponents can't sell out on the run all day long.

Good job documenting the demographics of the run game on Saturday, but it's the overall scheme of the offense - not the tendencies - that matter. Even GSU fans would be lying if we told you that any given game would feature more dives, QB keepers or pitches. With a defense as talented as NDSU, it's going to be a cat-and-mouse game. If the Bison disguise where the strength of their defense will be, Eagles will run right into unblocked defenders. If McKinnon reads it right, there will be room to run for big yardage, be it left, right or up the gut. Not that McKinnon is a trump card, but it's very hard to overestimate just how much a great running option at QB changes the matchup from last season.

There aren't a ton of audibles in terms of totally changing the play, but nearly every play is finalized only when both the offense and defense are set. It might be something as simple as flipping the direction of the play, but there are checks and audibles on almost every play. This goes back to the previous point of recognizing the strength of the defense. If McKinnon can walk up to the line and not have to communicate any info once he surveys the defense, things are about to go very well or very poorly, depending on how well the defense has disguised itself.

I LOVE option football and you guys are very entertaining to watch. I have been worried about 2 teams all year: GSU and SHSU. We will need to be at our best in all phases (Defense, Offense, and ST) to get a 'W'.

AjaxTheMighty
12-10-2012, 03:54 AM
What worries me is our safety play against wofford. While it was not bad, Heagle was a game changer last year. On Saturday our safeties played 10 yards deep and I don't think they made many tackles. 11 combined I think. Compared to 15 last year by colton alone. I dont remember seeing any of them up in the box very often and never in the backfield like Heagle was last year. Olson can't carry the defense by himself forever. And 29 tackles is amazing, but he can't continue at that pace without getting injured eventually. Another scary thought.

56BISON73
12-10-2012, 04:14 AM
What worries me is our safety play against wofford. While it was not bad, Heagle was a game changer last year. On Saturday our safeties played 10 yards deep and I don't think they made many tackles. 11 combined I think. Compared to 15 last year by colton alone. I dont remember seeing any of them up in the box very often and never in the backfield like Heagle was last year. Olson can't carry the defense by himself forever. And 29 tackles is amazing, but he can't continue at that pace without getting injured eventually. Another scary thought.

Wofford ran more between the tackles and when they went to option past the tackles they were well off the LOS. GSU ran more outside the tackles and were much closer to the LOS. Dont know what changes the D will have to make for the different styles.

westnodak93bison
12-10-2012, 04:20 AM
I forgot how small Georgia Southern's offensive line is. 257, 275, 293, 285 and 263

Bison bison
12-10-2012, 04:25 AM
Dude.

Wofford's line wasn't too large either, but they did their jobs (relatively well).

NDSUstudent
12-10-2012, 04:29 AM
Wofford's line was very big for an option team...

LT 6-4 300, LG 6-2 293, C 6-2 309, RG 6-3 305, RT 6-3 274

BisonNation11
12-10-2012, 04:54 AM

I don't care how you flip it. It's assignment football. Our D-line is great at plugging holes, getting penetration, and allowing our LB's to do their job. The only way you win this game is if you can beat us up the middle. We are too good at stringing plays out to the sidelines and flying to the ball. Either quick hit us in the mouth, or your season is over. That's my take anyway.

CC Eagle
12-10-2012, 05:25 AM
I don't care how you flip it. It's assignment football. Our D-line is great at plugging holes, getting penetration, and allowing our LB's to do their job. The only way you win this game is if you can beat us up the middle. We are too good at stringing plays out to the sidelines and flying to the ball. Either quick hit us in the mouth, or your season is over. That's my take anyway.

Could be... I don't think that I ever said that NDSU can't stop GSU. I was just pointing out a few of northendzone's analyses that were a touch off.

But I'm also not so sure that even an OK performance by GSU's offense won't be enough for the win. The Eagle defense has been much maligned, but the main thing that has hurt it is pass-happy teams. I would hardly put NDSU's pass attack among the ranks of Central Arkansas, Georgia, Old Dominion, or even App State. The few run-heavy teams that we've played like the Citadel (17 of their 23 points came from drives that began in GSU territory), Samford and Wofford got stuffed for four quarters. I'll also concede that the Bison have a better passing game than either of those three teams, but I don't think it's good enough to stand on its own without establishing the run or benefiting heavily from turnovers.

My prediction - If GSU finds the end zone three times, NDSU can't find the offense to keep up.

northendzone
12-10-2012, 01:13 PM
While I did include some feedback, most of my analysis was data driven facts. I would agree with the opinion that our safety's were back (mostly middle of field) to assist with the between the tackle runs & actual "safety" assigment. It will be interesting to see how GS plays us this year, clearly needing to make some adjustments to their previous game plan.

EndZoneQB
12-10-2012, 01:55 PM
Could be... I don't think that I ever said that NDSU can't stop GSU. I was just pointing out a few of northendzone's analyses that were a touch off.

But I'm also not so sure that even an OK performance by GSU's offense won't be enough for the win. The Eagle defense has been much maligned, but the main thing that has hurt it is pass-happy teams. I would hardly put NDSU's pass attack among the ranks of Central Arkansas, Georgia, Old Dominion, or even App State. The few run-heavy teams that we've played like the Citadel (17 of their 23 points came from drives that began in GSU territory), Samford and Wofford got stuffed for four quarters. I'll also concede that the Bison have a better passing game than either of those three teams, but I don't think it's good enough to stand on its own without establishing the run or benefiting heavily from turnovers.

My prediction - If GSU finds the end zone three times, NDSU can't find the offense to keep up.

Only one team has found the end zone three times on us this year so good luck...

Wofford ran more between the tackles and when they went to option past the tackles they were well off the LOS. GSU ran more outside the tackles and were much closer to the LOS. Dont know what changes the D will have to make for the different styles.

I felt that Wofford cut up field much quicker than GSU last year. I sort of remember GSU from last year running more parallel to the LOS before pitching or cutting up field.

mgbison
12-10-2012, 02:00 PM
I don't know whats changed with GSU's defense, but i don't think we threw the ball once in the 4th quarter last year. Our o-line manhandled their d-line the entire 4th quarter. Manbearpig was a non factor. We need that same performance out of the o-line this week. If we can control the TOP, I think we should be able to run the ball at will the entire 4th quarter, and there won't be anything GSU can do to stop it.

GradBison
12-10-2012, 03:07 PM
It's a little strange.

I have it on good authority that NDSU coaches are dusting off the film from the 2006 beat down.

westnodak93bison
12-10-2012, 03:07 PM
The Manbearpig #66 played some RDE against Old Dominion. I suspect they may try him against our young RT.

THEsocalledfan
12-10-2012, 03:43 PM
I don't know whats changed with GSU's defense, but i don't think we threw the ball once in the 4th quarter last year. Our o-line manhandled their d-line the entire 4th quarter. Manbearpig was a non factor. We need that same performance out of the o-line this week. If we can control the TOP, I think we should be able to run the ball at will the entire 4th quarter, and there won't be anything GSU can do to stop it.

Certainly, if the O line can do what you say, no doubt Bison win. One comment my brother and I had after the Woffard game, was the same conversation TAB and I used to have back in the day with the veer; if you get behind running that offense, you are in a real pickel and if the NDSU o line does their job, we'll have the lead. If that happens, you shut down the O passing game, run the ball every play, and force the GSU offense to beat you.

bisonsupporter
12-10-2012, 04:05 PM
The Defending National Champs making a return trip- 24
ButtBulldog- 13

daddy daycare
12-10-2012, 04:23 PM
I will continue to remain cautiously optimistic about this Bison team until someone can continue to prove it can beat the defense -- as in cross the goal line -- more than twice a game.

coloradobison
12-10-2012, 04:30 PM
I will continue to remain cautiously optimistic about this Bison team until someone can continue to prove it can beat the defense -- as in cross the goal line -- more than twice a game.

I think the only saving grace so far has been our ability to control time of possession. I have all the faith in the world in our D but if we continue to lean on them so heavily I fear they will not be able to sustain keeping the team in the game. If we were losing the TOP battle I think our D would be exhausted from the season and wouldn't be able to keep up at this pace. Hopefully everyone recovers quickly from the last game and is ready for GSU.

THEsocalledfan
12-10-2012, 04:36 PM
I think the only saving grace so far has been our ability to control time of possession. I have all the faith in the world in our D but if we continue to lean on them so heavily I fear they will not be able to sustain keeping the team in the game. If we were losing the TOP battle I think our D would be exhausted from the season and wouldn't be able to keep up at this pace. Hopefully everyone recovers quickly from the last game and is ready for GSU.

Agreed. Offense HAS to step it up this game. As Izzy would say, please more Mr. Crockett.

BisonNeil
12-10-2012, 06:12 PM
Turnover margin is a meaningless statistic? It's one of the most telling statistics in football. Ask the 2009 Minnesota Vikings about the NFC title game vs NO. I know last years TO margin has nothing to do with this year's game. If you can't understand that TO margin is a huge determinant of whether a team wins or loses a football game, then I don't know what to tell you.

Read the whole post. Last years TO margin has no bearing whatsoever on Fridays game. Last year was last year. The two teams are completely different.

BisonNeil
12-10-2012, 06:15 PM

Sounds about right, actually.

BisonNeil
12-10-2012, 06:17 PM

This years OL gives up 65 lbs in the Sr that were replaced and has 6 fewer years of experience. I don't expect the same results. Obviously you do.

bisonsupporter
12-10-2012, 06:19 PM
Which matchup do you think will be a more important one. Bison back 7 vs TO or Russell vs Lund?

BisonNeil
12-10-2012, 06:21 PM

I think you saw that this game. The LBs are thin and they were completely exhausted after the Wofford game. THe bison have had a huge time of possession advantage all season holding the ball almost 35 mins, about a 9 min differential. Against Wofford NDSU only had a 40 sec advantage. I don't think our D will have the stamina to do that again on a short week, so this concerns me.

bisonmike2
12-10-2012, 06:24 PM
This rematch scares me. One, our defense was beat up after the Wofford game. That was some smash mouth football and we took a bruising from their FB, especially Olson. Now we have a quick turnaround on a Friday game. I'm not saying a Saturday game is going to make a huge difference but its' an extra night of sleep for the guys who are banged up. Two, Georgia Southern is motivated. We embarrassed them last year. Sure last year is last year but there are alot of guys on that team that remember that game. Three, our offense is inconsistent. Say our D comes out flat, gives up a couple TD's before settling down. That could be it. That could be enough for GS to grind out a win the rest of the way. I hope I'm wrong but I guess we'll see.

BisonNeil
12-10-2012, 06:25 PM
Which matchup do you think will be a more important one. Bison back 7 vs TO or Russell vs Lund?

Once again last Saturday the Bison O struggled mightily against a solid 3-4 defense. As I said in the Wofford prediction thread when everyone was predicting a blowout, NDSUs offense is incapable of doing that against a 3-4 D.

Let's be brutally honest here, NDSU sucks offensively against a 3-4, and GSU runs (as I recall), a 3-4 defense. All-American Russell is the key top shelf player they have on defense. Last year the coaches put Richard at C to deal with him, they don't have that luxury this year. So, I think the Russell vs Lund matchup is the most important.

bisonsupporter
12-10-2012, 06:34 PM
Once again last Saturday the Bison O struggled mightily against a solid 3-4 defense. As I said in the Wofford prediction thread when everyone was predicting a blowout, NDSUs offense is incapable of doing that against a 3-4 D.

Let's be brutally honest here, NDSU sucks offensively against a 3-4, and GSU runs (as I recall), a 3-4 defense. All-American Russell is the key top shelf player they have on defense. Last year the coaches put Richard at C to deal with him, they don't have that luxury this year. So, I think the Russell vs Lund matchup is the most important.

I completely agree. Brock doesnt handle pressure up the middle well. Traps, middle screens, and draws will help Lund against Russell.

oldfart
12-10-2012, 06:40 PM
I completely agree. Brock doesnt handle pressure up the middle well. Traps, middle screens, and draws will help Lund against Russell.

FWIW, Russell was nursing a pretty bad knee last year. He appears to be pretty healthy this year.

CAS4127
12-10-2012, 06:48 PM
I will be very surprised if we win this game. The only way we win is through GSU turnovers on their side of field and or while driving at critical times. I hope I am wrong, but I don't think I am.

TransAmBison
12-10-2012, 06:50 PM
I will be very surprised if we win this game. The only way we win is through GSU turnovers on their side of field and or while driving at critical times. I hope I am wrong, but I don't think I am.

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkDidn't you predict at minimum a trip to Frisco? Now you are predicting a loss? Which is it? If I didn't know better, I'd say were a lawyer. :D

CAS4127
12-10-2012, 06:57 PM
Didn't you predict at minimum a trip to Frisco? Now you are predicting a loss? Which is it? If I didn't know better, I'd say were a lawyer. :D

That was when we had an offense that was effective and wasn't scoring for both teams. Like BNeil said, our O sucks!!

On_the_road
12-10-2012, 07:03 PM
That was when we had an offense that was effective and wasn't scoring for both teams. Like BNeil said, our O sucks!!

The only reason that you say that is you are still suffering withdrawal since you weren't able to tailgate on Saturday. :duel:

NDSUstudent
12-10-2012, 07:08 PM
Anyone ever think Wofford just might have a great defense? They held a high scoring UNH team to just seven points and South Carolina to 24. That South Carolina game was 7-7 going into the fourth quarter and USC had one TD on a fumble return.

TransAmBison
12-10-2012, 07:09 PM
Anyone ever think Wofford just might have a great defense? They held a high scoring UNH team to just seven points and South Carolina to 24. That South Carolina game was 7-7 going into the fourth quarter and USC had one TD on a fumble return.++++++++++++ Many here fail to recognize there is another team on the field that is trying their best to beat us.

CAS4127
12-10-2012, 07:16 PM
The only reason that you say that is you are still suffering withdrawal since you weren't able to tailgate on Saturday. :duel:

Since we are now running the QB more against 3-4 D's, to pick up an extra blocker (RB) is it possible we may go to Wildcat and put Marcus in at QB?!

Yes, I am serious!!!

SafeTeeJ
12-10-2012, 07:16 PM

oh well...it was a good run, anyway. Can't wait till next year. :paperbag:

GradBison
12-10-2012, 07:37 PM
Anyone ever think Wofford just might have a great defense? They held a high scoring UNH team to just seven points and South Carolina to 24. That South Carolina game was 7-7 going into the fourth quarter and USC had one TD on a fumble return.

Yup, and that UNH TD came against the Wofford Offense on a lost fumble.

GSUsTALON
12-10-2012, 07:49 PM

Run

Middle - 35 times
Wide Left - 19 times
Wide Right - 13 times

Pass

Razzle Dazzle

ODU Defense Notes

Slow
Poor Tacklers
Out of Position often

Now that was impressive

gumby013
12-10-2012, 07:54 PM
Now that was impressive

I'm assuming it means spirit fingers.

CAS4127
12-10-2012, 07:54 PM
++++++++++++ Many here fail to recognize there is another team on the field that is trying their best to beat us.

Isn't that true every game?! We have 3 problems on O right now that concern me greatly,

Brock is not playing like he is capable of playing. Recall the CSU game?!? See my third point for more on this.

Our Oline is not our Oline of last year. We are much younger and not nearly as strong or physical.

WR's are inconsistent and have not been healthy as a group and that continues coming into Friday. This I think is the major problem and has caused much of passing O issues. Could even explain Brock's play. Recall the connection he and Holloway had last year?! Holloway was rarely injured--just doing the math here.

Tatanka
12-10-2012, 08:01 PM
Isn't that true every game?! We have 3 problems on O right now that concern me greatly,

Brock is not playing like he is capable of playing. Recall the CSU game?!? See my third point for more on this.

Our Oline is not our Oline of last year. We are much younger and not nearly as strong or physical.

WR's are inconsistent and have not been healthy as a group and that continues coming into Friday. This I think is the major problem and has caused much of passing O issues. Could even explain Brock's play. Recall the connection he and Holloway had last year?! Holloway was rarely injured--just doing the math here.

I'm still relaxed. It's Monday (or Tuesday of a typical week). CAS is still in his "oh shit" mode of the game week cycle. By Friday he'll be ready to book his flight to Frisco and watch the Bison kick ass.

NDSUstudent
12-10-2012, 08:02 PM
I don't know CAS...I thought our offense had been getting better going into the Wofford game and I think their defense had a lot to do with our struggles. We had basically the same production against them as South Carolina had a few weeks ago. That is mind boggling to me.

I do think we have some issues, especially with injuries at WR affecting our offense. I think we were very lucky to have escaped vs Wofford...that team was playing at a very high level on both sides of the ball.

TransAmBison
12-10-2012, 08:07 PM
I thought we were getting into serious Wofford-kicking mode until Crockett fumbled. We really seemed to be beating them into submission...and then new life was breathed into them.

devin45k
12-10-2012, 08:08 PM
I thought we were getting into serious Wofford-kicking mode until Crockett fumbled. We really seemed to be beating them into submission...and then new life was breathed into them.

Momentum totally shifted there. Bout to put the dagger in but then we coughed it up and put us back on our heels.

AEBison1998
12-10-2012, 08:10 PM
I'm pretty sure that Ga Southern runs a 4-3 and not a 3-4. Maybe one of our Eagles fans can confirm.

NDSUstudent
12-10-2012, 08:11 PM

Yep that fumbled changed the game...there is no way they would have been able to respond.

Kujava23
12-10-2012, 08:12 PM
Turnovers are HUGE in playoff games especially when each play matters even more!! Bison offense played alright---take away our turnovers and its a 21-0 game

with that said---will need to look to hit a couple of big pass plays early to take pressure off our offense and put on GSU

Kermit
12-10-2012, 08:12 PM
I'm pretty sure that Ga Southern runs a 4-3 and not a 3-4. Maybe one of our Eagles fans can confirm.

Well, it depends. How many times should we count Man Bear Pig?

Tatanka
12-10-2012, 08:13 PM
Well, it depends. How many times should we count Man Bear Pig?0.5, unless at a buffet table. Then 2.25. Remember, by definition, ManBearPig is only half of a man.

GSUsTALON
12-10-2012, 08:13 PM

4/3 most of the time but last week we ran some 3/4

bisonsupporter
12-10-2012, 08:14 PM

100% agree here. Even after that I really did not get the feel that Wofford was going to make a come back.

NDSU '96
12-10-2012, 08:15 PM
Teams that have hurt GSU this year have done it through the air. Their defensive weakness doesn't match up with our offensive strength. I'm with CAS, the problems in our passing game concern me greatly this week.

bisonsupporter
12-10-2012, 08:17 PM
Teams that have hurt GSU this year have done it through the air. Their defensive weakness doesn't match up with our offensive strength. I'm with CAS, the problems in our passing game concern me greatly this week.

Watching the ODU/GSU game, ODU was wide open in the middle of the field. Our passing issue is that we mainly throw the outs to the sideline. Perhaps a slant to the middle could result in a big play?

ValleyBoy
12-10-2012, 08:18 PM
From last years game, I feel the biggest difference was NDSU offensive line being able to take charge.

SafeTeeJ
12-10-2012, 08:18 PM
0.5, unless at a buffet table. Then 2.25. Remember, by definition, ManBearPig is only half of a man.

or just a 1/3 if equal parts man - bear - pig

NDSUstudent
12-10-2012, 08:21 PM

That they do...might want to send this to BisonNeil.....

SafeTeeJ
12-10-2012, 08:25 PM

who's going to go out on the ledge to tell him?

GradBison
12-10-2012, 08:33 PM
or just a 1/3 if equal parts man - bear - pig

newbie!

http://cdn.ebaumsworld.com/picture/DevinDamnation/ManBearPig.png

bisonsupporter

They must have just ran a 3-4 last week due to the passing offense then? I only count 3 DL throughout the game.

Tatanka
or just a 1/3 if equal parts man - bear - pigNope. ManBearPig is half man, half bear, and half pig.

Please reference the following archival footage from totally legitimate sources:
http://edgruberman.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/manbearpig.jpg?w=560

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xf69EEL3WBk

You'd better improve your awareness of ManBearPig. I'm super serial.

GATA_Eagles
12-10-2012, 08:39 PM
Watching the ODU/GSU game, ODU was wide open in the middle of the field. Our passing issue is that we mainly throw the outs to the sideline. Perhaps a slant to the middle could result in a big play?
I'd say unless it's something that catches us COMPLETELY off guard, you won't bust a huge pass play. Secondary has been playing better as of late and haven't really had anyone able to kill us vertically. Mostly the dink and dunk but not usually big plays as a result. Just yards and when we tighten up in the redzone, fieldgoals. Not to say we cant get beaten deep, but it hasn't happened as much recently as it did earlier in the year.

SafeTeeJ
12-10-2012, 08:42 PM
Nope. ManBearPig is half man, half bear, and half pig.

Please reference the following archival footage from totally legitimate sources:

11 characters.....:facepalm2:

bisonsupporter
12-10-2012, 08:46 PM
I'd say unless it's something that catches us COMPLETELY off guard, you won't bust a huge pass play. Secondary has been playing better as of late and haven't really had anyone able to kill us vertically. Mostly the dink and dunk but not usually big plays as a result. Just yards and when we tighten up in the redzone, fieldgoals. Not to say we cant get beaten deep, but it hasn't happened as much recently as it did earlier in the year.

Just seemed ODU was getting the 10-15 passing gains, even though dink and dunk. The QB scramble for a big gain in the first was probably not prepared for, I'm guessing?

NDSUstudent
12-10-2012, 08:46 PM
They must have just ran a 3-4 last week due to the passing offense then? I only count 3 DL throughout the game.

Probably, ODU really only runs the ball occasionally to keep teams somewhat honest.

Bison bison
12-10-2012, 08:57 PM
Perfect. As we know all southerners are born liars and cheats.

daddy daycare
12-10-2012, 09:03 PM

The middle has been wide open all season for RB and TE passes. Hopefully its been in the back pocket. I'd particularly love to see Crockett pull a McNorton with a few Olineman busting in front off some sort of screen pass.

Bison"FANatic"
12-10-2012, 09:14 PM
Secondary has been playing better as of late and haven't really had anyone able to kill us vertically.

Really??? You gave up a 24, 74,43,40 23 pass plays in your last game. Then on top of that you gave up 15,17,15,17 16, 16, 23 17 pass plays.

ODU has a terrible D and GSU only had 14 points until the last few minutes of the 3rd quarter. Then ODU decided to stop playing outside D all together and the wheels fell off. These are not Giants coming from down south with size 52 feet and arms as big as rockets and legs as powerful as steam engines and speed like this world has never seen. The don't look at the ball and it is automatically transmitted to the endzone. They may give their players unhuman names but that all it is, blah blah blah blah. It still comes down to playing the game of football, Good fundamentals, good keys, good reaction and playing with your head. They are a formidable opponent but very very beatable.

devin45k
12-10-2012, 09:18 PM
Georgia Southern gave up 421 yards passing and 534 total yards last week.

I know that ODU has a decent pass game but I dont know how one can justify that the GSU defense has been getting better. 35 points to any team is not a good defense.

THEsocalledfan
12-10-2012, 09:27 PM
:offtopic:

No good place to put this, but figure some do not head to the travel hacking form:

Hilton has a 50% of sale that covers Frisco dates. I am staying at the Hilton Garden Inn, Frisco. That one is still $102, but some Plano hotels are in the $50 range......

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfr...siness-travel/

Grab them while you can. Bison win on Friday, these will not last. Remember, you can cancel; these do not appear to be "prepay."

GATA_Eagles
12-10-2012, 10:07 PM
Georgia Southern gave up 421 yards passing and 534 total yards last week.

I know that ODU has a decent pass game but I dont know how one can justify that the GSU defense has been getting better. 35 points to any team is not a good defense.
I never said we were the Bison defense. I said we've been playing better. I assure you that's true as I've been to all but 2 games this season. And I'd give the Monarchs a little better than "decent pass game." Come on man, I know the CAA doesn't play defense but he broke McNair's record on Saturday. That's nothing to scoff at.

GSUsTALON
12-10-2012, 10:24 PM
newbie!

http://cdn.ebaumsworld.com/picture/DevinDamnation/ManBearPig.png

That kind of does look like Brent. And when he mounts your QB the offspring will be called Buff-a-Bear Pig

EndZoneQB
12-10-2012, 10:36 PM
That kind of does look like Brent. And when he mounts your QB the offspring will be called Buff-a-Bear Pig

Why am I not surprised your players would try to sexually assault our players? Remind them they aren't cousins or brothers...

Kujava23
12-10-2012, 10:36 PM
Georgia Southern needs Bison turnovers to stay in ball game, because the Bison Defense is the best they've seen all year!!!

Dakid3kc
12-10-2012, 10:39 PM
I always say and it is obvious that winning the turnover battle is key. We failed in the Wofford game to convert on the TO. Both times the offense went 3 and out. That can't happen. The fumble in the redzone by Crockett can't happen. If we don't turn the ball over then that is only way Bison can win by 14 or more. With ZERO kicking game, I see a TD coming on a breakaway run of 30+ yards. Other wise I can see a shutout of the offense. I am confident in the game prep and think Bison will win this one 17-7 and move on to Frisco.

GO BISON!!

Kujava23
12-10-2012, 10:44 PM
BISON PERFECT STORM WAITING FOR THE sparrows....i mean eagles......GSU defense better play wayyyy better to have a chance and their offense a perfect game.

Herd
12-10-2012, 10:45 PM
IMO, the winner of this game will win the Time of Possession stat. Is GSo capable of wearing down the Bison D, Yes. Is the Bison O capable of wearing down the GSo D, Yes. If the Bison wear down, GSo is a finely tuned machine that can put up points in bunches. If the Eagles wear down, the Bison can and will run it up.

BisonNeil
12-10-2012, 10:46 PM
who's going to go out on the ledge to tell him?

Ha! Got the message gentlemen, thanks.

And the point made about Wofford's defense is a very good one. They have a very good scoring defense, 7th in FCS, bascially giving up the same number of points as SDSU, so they are salty. And GSUs defense is 23rd, giving up 21 pts per game. So, there is a chance NDSU can win, albeit a small one :D

But don't expect me to pick 'em. I'm dancing with the girl I brung :D :D

BisonNeil
12-10-2012, 10:48 PM

I have only watched one game and that was the ODU game and I could have sworn they ran a 3-4. But, I am getting a tad old and perhaps my eyesight is going.

Dakid3kc
12-10-2012, 10:50 PM
IMO, the winner of this game will win the Time of Possession stat. Is GSo capable of wearing down the Bison D, Yes. Is the Bison O capable of wearing down the GSo D, Yes. If the Bison wear down, GSo is a finely tuned machine that can put up points in bunches. If the Eagles wear down, the Bison can and will run it up.

I agree. We have seen many times close games at halftime and after wearing down a def the runs come in big chunks in the 4th qtr that turn a 7 or 10 point lead into a 17-21 point win.

It will be key to get a 2 score lead, unlike ODU, we don't chuck the ball all over. A two score lead and we can run, run, run, and win the time of possession, make them throw a few more times then they want and get a sack or pick and make their offense operate from uncomfortable situations.

BisonNeil
12-10-2012, 10:52 PM
The middle has been wide open all season for RB and TE passes. Hopefully its been in the back pocket. I'd particularly love to see Crockett pull a McNorton with a few Olineman busting in front off some sort of screen pass.

It has been open, I agree, but damn if it doesn't seem as though Brock has trouble delivering the ball so the receiver can advance the ball. The Wofford LBs were teeing off and hitting the line hard on run plays and pass plays because I think they understood that either a) Vigen is a moron and won't call a play action pass/screen play or b) Jensen can't complete it.

(and for those of you out there that are Vigen supporters, send me a PM and explain the three pass play calls after the first fumble recovery after we had driven the field by basically running the ball)

BisonNeil
12-10-2012, 10:58 PM
I agree. We have seen many times close games at halftime and after wearing down a def the runs come in big chunks in the 4th qtr that turn a 7 or 10 point lead into a 17-21 point win.

Yeah, that may have happened in the regular season but that has yet to happen in the playoffs. The Bison get very conservative when they have a lead at halftime. You probably doubt that, but consider this; the Bison offense has scored only 7 pts in the second half in the playoffs. That has got to change.

IzzyFlexion
12-10-2012, 11:02 PM
Nope. ManBearPig is half man, half bear, and half pig.

So, when people tell that I'm half the man I used to be......he has my other half as an extra half? I guess. That's how it'll half to be.

56BISON73
12-10-2012, 11:05 PM
It has been open, I agree, but damn if it doesn't seem as though Brock has trouble delivering the ball so the receiver can advance the ball. The Wofford LBs were teeing off and hitting the line hard on run plays and pass plays because I think they understood that either a) Vigen is a moron and won't call a play action pass/screen play or b) Jensen can't complete it.

(and for those of you out there that are Vigen supporters, send me a PM and explain the three pass play calls after the first fumble recovery after we had driven the field by basically running the ball)

If its working he changes it. If it aint working he stays with it. You got me on this one.

BisonNeil
12-10-2012, 11:06 PM
If its working he changes it. If it aint working he stays with it. You got me on this one.

Damn 56, I was REALLY depending on you. Crap.

Dakid3kc
12-10-2012, 11:11 PM
I almost feel like they are "saving" something until absolutely needed. Which could hurt. Cause it isn't like we can just flip a switch. Lean on the best defense and be as vanilla as possible to try and get by. Is it because of all the injuried to the WR core?

bisonmike2
12-10-2012, 11:30 PM
Anybody in the northwest metro watching this anywhere? I'm thinking about hitting up D Michael B's in Albertville.

BisonCountry
12-10-2012, 11:38 PM

The Drive after the fumble.....1st-10 Crocket Run 1 yard gain......2nd-9 Pass to Okland Incomplete (Nerves got to young man should have been a catch and firstdown.) 3rd Down and 9 Jensen Sacked.

Execution failed on that drive and not the plays called.

Bisonguy
12-10-2012, 11:44 PM
I almost feel like they are "saving" something until absolutely needed. Which could hurt. Cause it isn't like we can just flip a switch. Lean on the best defense and be as vanilla as possible to try and get by. Is it because of all the injuried to the WR core?

O RLY?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxMBAjp6PhI

GATA_Eagles
12-11-2012, 12:01 AM
Probably one of the best and most realistic assessments I've heard. I think if one team can win TOP 35-25. That team will win barring some huge turnovers/defensive scores/special teams scores.

bajadanny
12-11-2012, 12:24 AM
In a nutshell we need to be able to pass the ball and call plays withconfidence
,time to start putting some points on the board as we will need them.

I have seen receivers open, no need to take a sack throw it away!! Must have better production from qb position

BisonEngrGirl
12-11-2012, 12:32 AM

I have this feeling too. We broke out some new stuff against SDSU, saw more of the same 'ol same 'ol against the puppies. Here's hopin!

KC Bison
12-11-2012, 12:34 AM
Going back to GS win over Wofford without any issue.... I looked up the stats on the game. The score was 10-6 with 8 minutes to go in the game. GS had 265 yards in the game and Wofford 248. Wofford was 3 for 8 in passing for 27 yards, no surprise from what we were heard about them. What was interesting for me was that GS was 0 for 0 in passing, not a single pass attempt in the game. A college game without a single pass attempt ... sounds like a game from the 1930's.

GATA_Eagles
12-11-2012, 12:37 AM
Going back to GS win over Wofford without issue.... I looked up the stats on the game. The score was 10-6 with 8 minutes to go in the game. GS had 265 yards in the game and Wofford 248. Wofford was 3 for 8 in passing for something like 27 yards, not a surprise from what we were heard about them. What was a surprise for me was that GS was 0 for 0 in passing, not a single pass attempt in the game. A college game without a single pass attempt ... sounds like a game from the 1930's.
That was a very physical, grind it out game. Much like what I expect Friday night. (I type saturday every damn time and have to backspace)

Gully
12-11-2012, 12:40 AM
This is going to be a great game, I just cannot wait. Gabe, I might even go batshit crazy!

tjbison
12-11-2012, 12:41 AM
I have a way better feeling about this game over the woofy game for some reason, Friday night will help us. Just re watched last years game and I am shaking I'm so pumped

GATA_Eagles
12-11-2012, 12:41 AM
This is going to be a great game, I just cannot wait. Gabe, I might even go batshit crazy!
I'll second that one!

Gully
12-11-2012, 12:44 AM
I'll second that one!

How many GSU fans do "you reckon" will come up?

GATA_Eagles
12-11-2012, 12:54 AM
I really couldn't tell you. I wish I could make it. I've seen several over on our board talking about going but I doubt we have a large group. I know a pep band is going as well. I wish the true volume of the Fargodome came across on the espn3/tv feeds. I know it can't do it justice and would LOVE to hear it for myself one day.

Grizzled
12-11-2012, 01:07 AM

When its the semi-finals we have pretty much seen everything this team has to offer. What we have seen this year out of our qb and wrs is what they are this year. They may make some adjustments and add a wrinkle to an existing play or formation but at this time of the year I don't think we are saving anything.

That said, I think this year will not be much different than last. GSU may be a little more prepared for the noise and what they are walking into but the short week will hurt them much more than hurt us. Their offense has to prepare for the number one defense in every major statistical category there is. Just like I said above about our offense being what it is, our defense is what it is and thats pretty f'in good.

GATA_Eagles
12-11-2012, 01:28 AM
Did find out the GSU Athletic Foundation is trying to get a charter plane out of Atlanta but will only do so if 100 people sign up.

gumby013
12-11-2012, 01:29 AM
The GSU equipment truck has left.

I guess that means no more practice until Thursday.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151264998151855&set=a.415417781854.191426.235891086854&type=1&relevant_count=1

GATA_Eagles
12-11-2012, 01:32 AM

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151264998151855&set=a.415417781854.191426.235891086854&type=1&relevant_count=1
Well why would we practice when we know we stand no chance against the Green B... I mean Bison. I kid, I kid. I'm sure there will be plenty of practice the next couple of days.

tjbison
12-11-2012, 01:43 AM
Well why would we practice when we know we stand no chance against the Green B... I mean Bison. I kid, I kid. I'm sure there will be plenty of practice the next couple of days.

You could have saved the NCAA some money by forfeiting.....:duel:

GATA_Eagles
12-11-2012, 01:46 AM
You could have saved the NCAA some money by forfeiting.....:duel:
I wish the NCAA would pay for my travel :bleh:

MNLonghorn10
12-11-2012, 01:47 AM

is the check engine light already on and theyre not even out of the parking lot?

Wally
12-11-2012, 01:54 AM
Read the whole post. Last years TO margin has no bearing whatsoever on Fridays game. Last year was last year. The two teams are completely different.

Yes I know last years game doesn't have any bearing on Friday. Read the whole post. Tell me where I said last years TO margin would be a factor on friday?? I mentioned the TO margin last year in the OP to point out how turnovers can change the game and that we won the battle of turnovers.

onbison09
12-11-2012, 01:57 AM
I'm extremely nervous for this game. The last game I was extremely nervous for was the SDSU game and that went OK. But our line was terrible on Saturday. I'm expecting the worst and hoping for this best.

I'm German so this is a normal attitude for me.

CC Eagle
12-11-2012, 03:31 AM
Going back to GS win over Wofford without an*issue.... I looked up the stats on the game. The score was 10-6 with 8 minutes to go in the game. GS had 265 yards in the game and Wofford 248. Wofford was 3 for 8 in passing for 27 yards, no surprise from what we were heard about them. What was a*interesting for me was that GS was 0 for 0 in passing, not a single pass attempt in the game.* A college game without a single pass attempt ... sounds like a game from the 1930's.

For what it's worth, this game was right after McKinnon started taking all of the snaps at QB. He had only gotten limited practice time with the starters (vital with the timing and trust involved with the option) in the first month since we were so intent on Youyoute coming around and being the man under center.

While the passing game hasn't developed much, the running attack has gotten deadlier with each week.

It should also be noted that GSU turned the ball over inside of its own 30 and still managed to keep Wofford out of the end zone.

As far as the lack of passing goes, that game marked the eighth time that GSU has passed for exactly 0 yards in a game... We're 8-0 in those games.

JSUBison
12-11-2012, 03:39 AM

I sure hope someone slapped a lo-jack on that truck so we have something to track this week.

bisonsupporter
12-11-2012, 01:42 PM
Last year's playoffs seemed like one play really put a spark into the team- The McNorton run against JMU. We have not had that type of play yet this postseason. I would love to see a Crockett/Ojuri run from 60+ just shredding tacklers on the way.

devin45k
12-11-2012, 01:51 PM
Last year's playoffs seemed like one play really put a spark into the team- The McNorton run against JMU. We have not had that type of play yet this postseason. I would love to see a Crockett/Ojuri run from 60+ just shredding tacklers on the way.

That is very true...No break away plays...just straight forward in you face types of plays.

thundarsdaddy
12-11-2012, 02:15 PM
I'm extremely nervous for this game. The last game I was extremely nervous for was the SDSU game and that went OK. But our line was terrible on Saturday. I'm expecting the worst and hoping for this best.

I'm German so this is a normal attitude for me.

hahahahahahaha

CAS4127
12-11-2012, 02:51 PM
Here is my concern. We have now played two very physical games in the last two weeks and, despite how conditioned our D is, my guess is that everyone of them has major, nagging bumps, bruises, sprains and strains. Can we put together 4 more quarters of that? It strikes me that our quarterfinal bracket (SDSU and Wofford) was much more physical than the other brackets, and now we have a physical and fast GSU team. Even a half a step slower can result in a big play that would otherwise have been shut down. Our O really needs to have some long sustained drives, or even better, a quick hitter early in 1st and then long sustained drives after that. We can not afford to have a tired D in the 4th. Look what GSU did to ODU in the 4th-->21 effing points. Couple that with our O of last week and a loss is on the horizon. Again, so hope I am not wrong.

On_the_road
12-11-2012, 02:53 PM
Here is my concern. We now play two very physical games in the last two weeks and, despite how conditioned our D is, my guess is that everyone of them has major, nagging bumps, bruises, sprains and strains. Can we put together 4 more quarters of that? It strikes me that our quarterfinal bracket (SDSU and Wofford) was much more physical than the other brackets, and now we have a physical and fast GSU team. Even a half a step slower can result in a big play that would otherwise have been shut down. Our O really needs to have some long sustained drives, or even better, a quick hitter early in 1st and then long sustained drives after that. We can not afford to have a tired D in the 4th. Look what GSU did to ODU in the 4th-->21 effing points. Couple that with our O of last week and a loss is on the horizon. Again, so hope I am not wrong.

I absolutely agree. Our offense really needs to step it up this week. We need to keep our defense off the field as much as possible.

TAILG8R
12-11-2012, 02:55 PM
Here is my concern. We have now played two very physical games in the last two weeks and, despite how conditioned our D is, my guess is that everyone of them has major, nagging bumps, bruises, sprains and strains. Can we put together 4 more quarters of that? It strikes me that our quarterfinal bracket (SDSU and Wofford) was much more physical than the other brackets, and now we have a physical and fast GSU team. Even a half a step slower can result in a big play that would otherwise have been shut down. Our O really needs to have some long sustained drives, or even better, a quick hitter early in 1st and then long sustained drives after that. We can not afford to have a tired D in the 4th. Look what GSU did to ODU in the 4th-->21 effing points. Couple that with our O of last week and a loss is on the horizon. Again, so hope I am not wrong.

28 points - I'm correcting you now so you don't have to be annoyed when one of the Georgia State fans do it.

gsu2583
12-11-2012, 02:58 PM

28 points in the 4th actually.

We have a lot of those nagging injuries too. Swope is dinged up and has been for weeks (thigh this week). McKinnon is regularly hobbling along. ManBearPig I think is still having ankle/foot issues.

The sustained drives thing is accurate for both teams I think. The winner of this game will be the one that can limit the other to no more than about 3 first downs a drive. More than that, someone is getting gassed and things get tougher all around.

gsu2583
12-11-2012, 02:59 PM
ARGH!! Beat me to it.

BadlandsBison
12-11-2012, 03:06 PM
ARGH!! Beat me to it.

I'm not familiar with gsu. Is your offense fast? Are you capable of scoring quickly? Can you score 28 points in the 4th quarter?

Tatanka
12-11-2012, 03:08 PM
I'm not familiar with gsu. Is your offense fast? Are you capable of scoring quickly? Can you score 28 points in the 4th quarter?Sig pic FTMFW.

GradBison
12-11-2012, 03:13 PM
When its the semi-finals we have pretty much seen everything this team has to offer. What we have seen this year out of our qb and wrs is what they are this year. They may make some adjustments and add a wrinkle to an existing play or formation but at this time of the year I don't think we are saving anything.

That said, I think this year will not be much different than last. GSU may be a little more prepared for the noise and what they are walking into but the short week will hurt them much more than hurt us. Their offense has to prepare for the number one defense in every major statistical category there is. Just like I said above about our offense being what it is, our defense is what it is and thats pretty f'in good.

I'm no football mind but I've seen some new stuff from the offense the last two games including Wentz and Ojuri lined up as WR. The designed QB runs again SDSU looked different.

td577
12-11-2012, 03:32 PM
As far as beat up, gsu is in the same position. Their schedule looked pretty rough the past five out of six or so games. They had to have been run all over the field by odu. It is gut check time for everyone.

I can't imagine too many teams being all that fresh this time of year but with the impending three weeks off, there is no reason to save anything. Lose and go home. That simple.

devin45k
12-11-2012, 04:10 PM
As far as beat up, gsu is in the same position. Their schedule looked pretty rough the past five out of six or so games. They had to have been run all over the field by odu. It is gut check time for everyone.

I can't imagine too many teams being all that fresh this time of year but with the impending three weeks off, there is no reason to save anything. Lose and go home. That simple.

I think people are failing to consider is that Wofford and GSU have the same offenses. We beat wofford.

Wofford had the 9th best total defense and SDSU had the 8th best total defense in the nation.... GSU's is 41st ranked. 7 teams in the MVFC have a better ranked total defense and Missouria State and Western Illinois are only 2 and 3 positions behind GSU.

GSU scored against Old Dominion but Old Dominion has the 94th ranked total defense out of 121 teams. To compare it to the total defense rankings we have played (and there playoff opponents):

ISUb - 6th (NDSU scored 14 points)
SDSU - 8th (NDSU scored 20 & 28)
Wofford - 9th (NDSU scored 14)
YSU - 11th (NDSU scored 48 points)
Ill St - 28th (NDSU scored 38 points)
UNI - 31st (NDSU scored 33 points)
GSU - 41st
Missouri State - 44th (NDSU scored 21 points)
Robert Morris -58th (NDSU scored 52 points)
Central Arkansas - 65th (GSU scored 24)
USD - 73rd (NDSU scored 54 points)
Old Dominion - 94th (GSU scored 49)
Prairie View A & M - 106th (NDSU scored 66 points)

westnodak93bison
12-11-2012, 04:12 PM
Please more long sustained drives like our first against Wofford.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Grizzled
12-11-2012, 04:14 PM
I'm no football mind but I've seen some new stuff from the offense the last two games including Wentz and Ojuri lined up as WR. The designed QB runs again SDSU looked different.

That is a wrinkle. Our passing game has looked consistently average-below average for a better part of the season save a couple games. If that was by design by the coaches so they could unveil something in the national semifinals, they have set up that plan to perfection. We may have a wrinkle here or there based on what the opposition offers but we do not have a whole different offensive playbook sitting on the shelf collecting dust.

GATA_Eagles
12-11-2012, 04:14 PM
I think people are failing to consider is that Wofford and GSU have the same offenses. We beat wofford.

Correction: run the same basic style of offense, but very differently. They're two different teams with different personnel and different coaching/playcalling. The second half of your post had some worth but not the first.

CAS4127
12-11-2012, 04:24 PM
Correction: run the same basic style of offense, but very differently. They're two different teams with different personnel and different coaching/playcalling. The second half of your post had some worth but not the first.

Do you guys pull guards on your runs up the middle like Wofford, or are you running a true option that requires pre and post snap reads from your QB? I can't remember from last year. From my limited FB knowledge, it struck me that Wofford had designed middle runs that were pre-snap determined, with the only "option" being where the ball would be run and what the pulling guard's blocking responsibility was. Enlighten us please!!!???

GATA_Eagles
12-11-2012, 04:31 PM
Do you guys pull guards on your runs up the middle like Wofford, or are you running a true option that requires pre and post snap reads from your QB? I can't remember from last year. From my limited FB knowledge, it struck me that Wofford had designed middle runs that were pre-snap determined, with the only "option" being where the ball would be run and what the pulling guard's blocking responsibility was. Enlighten us please!!!???
I'm not the best X's and O's guy, I'm sure someone on Gsufans or AGS can answer this better. but we run more of a true option relying on reads from the QB whether to give it off to the B back (FB) or to keep it and bounce it outside with a pitch option. We do have some designed plays where we have a pulling guard. It depends on what the coaches see as to how we're going to run it as well.

CAS4127
12-11-2012, 04:34 PM
I'm not the best X's and O's guy, I'm sure someone on Gsufans or AGS can answer this better. but we run more of a true option relying on reads from the QB whether to give it off to the B back (FB) or to keep it and bounce it outside with a pitch option.

@Bold: That's what I thought, and actually, that sort of scheme frees up our D a bit more than what Wofford's scheme did. Not gonna post here how or why, in the event your coaches haven't figured it out yet from last year. :biggrin::hide:

GATA_Eagles
12-11-2012, 04:40 PM
@Bold: That's what I thought, and actually, that sort of scheme frees up our D a bit more than what Wofford's scheme did. Not gonna post here how or why, in the event your coaches haven't figured it out yet from last year. :biggrin::hide:
Oh I'm sure they'll have it more figured out than last year. They'll be watching our old tape and the Wofford tape pretty heavily as well as the rest of your season to watch out for any defensive wrinkles. As you know one of the most important things about the option is disguising who has the ball and as they say, "If you don't know who has it, you can't make a tackle!" Unless, like last year you guys just literally tackle 9 guys on the field.

SafeTeeJ
12-11-2012, 04:46 PM
GSU posters is it true that you have only completed 18 passes this year? 18 of 44 attempts....is that true. Do you believe you will have to establish some sort of passing attempt to keep thte Bison safeties from getting the jump on the option? and CAS...do you see the Bison D showing any Oaky 5-2 with the safety in the alley for this game?

TAILG8R
12-11-2012, 04:52 PM
Oh I'm sure they'll have it more figured out than last year. They'll be watching our old tape and the Wofford tape pretty heavily as well as the rest of your season to watch out for any defensive wrinkles. As you know one of the most important things about the option is disguising who has the ball and as they say, "If you don't know who has it, you can't make a tackle!" Unless, like last year you guys just literally tackle 9 guys on the field.

That would be my plan, man to man assignment, hit the bastard wether he has the ball or not.

CAS4127
12-11-2012, 04:53 PM
GSU posters is it true that you have only completed 18 passes this year? 18 of 44 attempts....is that true. Do you believe you will have to establish some sort of passing attempt to keep thte Bison safeties from getting the jump on the option? and CAS...do you see the Bison D showing any Oaky 5-2 with the safety in the alley for this game?

I believe the 18 is correct, but several are for TD's I believe.

As for the Oaky 5-2-->I have know idea what you are talking about!! I know we did not see any safeties in the alley last year, or did we?!?! :biggrin:

GATA_Eagles
12-11-2012, 04:54 PM
35-86 with 5 picks. 9.1 Average per Pass 22.5 Average Per Catch. 8 passing TD. 25 passing first downs.

GATA_Eagles
12-11-2012, 04:56 PM
The 18 is just the starting QB the other QB (Better passer) was 14-29

CAS4127
12-11-2012, 05:01 PM

@Bold: Do you guys run that kickoff return where everyone runs to the 20 or so, groups up, and then the ball gets stuffed in someone's belly and you all take off in different directions like crazed lunatics and the other team can't figure out who has the ball? I ran that with my powder puff/girl team I coached in 12th grade and we scored the only TD of the game.

It's a good play-->it really is, but we'll be watching for it!!

SafeTeeJ
12-11-2012, 05:03 PM
@Bold: Do you guys run that kickoff return where everyone runs to the 20 or so, groups up, and then the ball gets stuffed in someone's belly and you all take off in different directions like crazed lunatics and the other team can't figure out who has the ball? I ran that with my powder puff/girl team I coached in 12th grade and we scored the only TD of the game.

you forgot the part where they stuff it under their jersey...

GATA_Eagles
12-11-2012, 05:04 PM

:rofl: ran that once on my high school team and it got blown up because I'm pretty sure the guy with the ball didn't even know he had it. As far as returning goes our returner is explosive and tough. He's slipped up a few times this year on what may have been returns for a TD (but who knows) If we can block one well enough he has the speed, strength and heart to get one. My gosh that kid has heart. #19 Wilcox. He played A back against y'all last year and was moved to safety at the beginning of the season and still gets to play in the Senior Bowl.

CAS4127
12-11-2012, 06:25 PM
:rofl: ran that once on my high school team and it got blown up because I'm pretty sure the guy with the ball didn't even know he had it. As far as returning goes our returner is explosive and tough. He's slipped up a few times this year on what may have been returns for a TD (but who knows) If we can block one well enough he has the speed, strength and heart to get one. My gosh that kid has heart. #"S" Wilcox. He played A back against y'all last year and was moved to safety at the beginning of the season and still gets to play in the Senior Bowl.

FIFY, and it sounds to me every player you have has this "number" sans the kicker.

Time to break out the kryptonite (think can of Ass Whoop) again!!

GATA_Eagles
12-11-2012, 06:32 PM
Just trying to talk football with ya CAS! Heagle must have let Olson borrow his cape for y'alls game against the puppies. Pretty ridiculous performances by both of those guys against option teams.

CAS4127
12-11-2012, 06:34 PM
Just trying to talk football with ya CAS! Heagle must have let Olson borrow his cape for y'alls game against the puppies. Pretty ridiculous performances by both of those guys against option teams.

No problem-->Wilcox sounds pretty talented really.

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/s480x480/68129_10151368298484532_644307660_n.jpg

Oldmain80
12-11-2012, 08:21 PM
Good luck to the Bizun, you have at least one SOCON fan pulling for you this week.

NDSUstudent
12-11-2012, 08:44 PM
Good luck to the Bizun, you have at least one SOCON fan pulling for you this week.

Thanks for the support. I was really impressed with Wofford, talented football team that just played the game the right way. I was really impressed by your team from its head coach on down, hopefully we meet again someday.

NWNDBison
12-11-2012, 08:52 PM
This is encouraging news if we can keep GSU out of the endzone like other teams we have played of late:

http://atlanta.sbnation.com/georgia-southern/2012/12/11/3755424/2012-fcs-playoffs-georgia-southern-kicker

"The Georgia Southern Eagles have three kickers that are a combined 1-of-8 on their last attempts, and they have not successfully converted a field goal since Oct. 27."

I haven't read every page of this thread, so sorry if the article link is a repeat.

Tatanka
12-11-2012, 08:52 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=-5C5QgZeHKQ#!

oldfart
12-11-2012, 08:57 PM

Just bitter from 2 years ago when we took more Southern fans to THEIR place than they had and mopped the floor with them in the playoffs. Then they bitched to the NCAA because we celebrated on their field after the game. Bunch of private school crybabies.

TAILG8R
12-11-2012, 09:09 PM
Just bitter from 2 years ago when we took more Southern fans to THEIR place than they had and mopped the floor with them in the playoffs. Then they bitched to the NCAA because we celebrated on their field after the game. Bunch of private school crybabies.

And now we get to watch fans rival schools unrelated to our own start bitchin' at each other on our board. Yippee!

daddy daycare
12-11-2012, 09:11 PM
GSU section will be full. Long story short I tried to buy some through their ticket office Monday. They charged me for 4, called me back today and told me I was refunded and Boosters and season ticket holders had bought their share out.

TAILG8R
12-11-2012, 09:15 PM
GSU section will be full. Long story short I tried to buy some through their ticket office Monday. They charged me for 4, called me back today and told me I was refunded and Boosters and season ticket holders had bought their share out.

That's awesome! I always hate it when when we put the hurt on visiting schools and no one is there to mourn for them. :biggrin:

gumby013
12-11-2012, 11:35 PM
GSU radio show.

https://soundcloud.com/gsathletics/inside-georgia-southern-12