PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Playoff Broadcasts

CaBisonFan
12-03-2012, 07:52 PM
My schedule shows a game on ESPN this Friday night...and an 11:00 am game on ESPN2...(central time)

Anyone know who's being shown? I'm assuming that we're not.

Anyone know why the defending champion and #1 team in the country isn't getting one of these?

SafeTeeJ
12-03-2012, 07:56 PM
I believe it is ODU and GASOuthern for the Friday Game. not sure of the Sat am game

see the Terrier "Resident" expert thread

Bisonguy
12-03-2012, 07:57 PM
NDSU did not want either time slot. Friday was one less day of prep and ran too close to whatever they have going on in the Fargodome on Thursday. Saturday is too early and they want the same gameday prep schedule along with not starting tailgating at 5:30 AM.

HerdBot
12-03-2012, 07:57 PM
My schedule shows a game on ESPN this Friday night...and an 11:00 am game on ESPN2...(central time)

Anyone know who's being shown? I'm assuming that we're not.

Anyone know why the defending champion and #1 team in the country isn't getting one of these?

I think it sucks they can't air all 4 games

CaBisonFan
12-03-2012, 08:05 PM

I think it sucks they can't air all 4 games

I just wrote a message to espn to ask them why we're not on. Won't do any good...but it felt good to write it.

I agree gabe.

KTF
12-03-2012, 08:07 PM
per the ncaa.com bracket, GSU/ODU play 12pm et and MSU/SHSU play 8pm friday night

CaBisonFan
12-03-2012, 08:10 PM
per the ncaa.com bracket, GSU/ODU play 12pm et and MSU/SHSU play 8pm friday night

Thanks for the info...and it pisses me off. Bison Football is easily the biggest brand in the playoffs.

bisonaudit
12-03-2012, 08:18 PM
Thanks for the info...and it pisses me off. Bison Football is easily the biggest brand in the playoffs.

Bigger than Duke Basketball? ESPN
Bigger than Kansas Basketball? ESPN2

MNLonghorn10
12-03-2012, 08:21 PM

Yea..maybe to a state with less than 1,000,000 people in it

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Bisonguy
12-03-2012, 08:26 PM

If you're going to be pissed off, it should be at Gene Taylor. He's the one that wouldn't lower his standards for the program or fans and accept one of the available ESPN time slots.

KTF
12-03-2012, 08:30 PM
I think one of these days that NDSU should try for a lime light spot on ESPN. However I don't want to sacrifice routine and wins for national exposure of a lose. There is no reason that the 12pm spot couldn't have been NDSU's, two hours earlier may not affect the routine too much...

CaBisonFan
12-03-2012, 08:37 PM
If you're going to be pissed off, it should be at Gene Taylor. He's the one that wouldn't lower his standards for the program or fans and accept one of the available ESPN time slots.

.....really.....hmmm

stevdock
12-03-2012, 08:48 PM
Was NDSU even asked?? I feel the best two games of this round are the two that they are airing.

NDSUguy
12-03-2012, 09:02 PM
per a tweet by kolpack, this was a request that was made by GT. He wanted the afernoon saturday game. Personally, i'm ok with this.

EndZoneQB
12-03-2012, 09:17 PM
per a tweet by kolpack, this was a request that was made by GT. He wanted the afernoon saturday game. Personally, i'm ok with this.

Yeah, I don't know why you are all so pissed about this idea. It's nothing new. Plus, it seems like most of those bitching aren't the ones showing up at 4am to get in line for a 10am tailgate opening either...or having to deal with the cold weather. No thanks to 6am tailgating unless it's early season. The "exposure" you all claim we will get by playing on ESPN is not that profound. Find something else to bitch about...it's not changing.

CaBisonFan
12-03-2012, 09:21 PM
Yeah, I don't know why you are all so pissed about this idea. It's nothing new. Plus, it seems like most of those bitching aren't the ones showing up at 4am to get in line for a 10am tailgate opening either...or having to deal with the cold weather. No thanks to 6am tailgating unless it's early season. The "exposure" you all claim we will get by playing on ESPN is not that profound. Find something else to bitch about...it's not changing.

Excuse me for wanting to watch the game with a good broadcast.

CaBisonFan
12-03-2012, 09:26 PM
Are the playoffs shown statewide on tv?

If not...how many people in the state don't have access to ESPN3?

TAILG8R
12-03-2012, 09:28 PM

No the entire state is at the Fargodome watching in person.

EndZoneQB
12-03-2012, 09:34 PM
Excuse me for wanting to watch the game with a good broadcast.

It's 2012. Get some decent internet. ESPN3 always looks good for me.

daddy daycare
12-03-2012, 09:36 PM
I thought espn3 did a great job last weekend.

Ross
12-03-2012, 09:37 PM

If not...how many people in the state don't have access to ESPN3?

If I'm not mistaken, pretty much all of ND, except Fargo, has the ability to get an ISP that has access to espn3.com

CaBisonFan
12-03-2012, 09:39 PM

I have Fios...works great...the feed from the dome is ok. Would love to see an ESPN HD broadcast from the dome.

Correct me if I'm wrong...but I think I've read here that a lot of North Dakotans don't get ESPN3.

You know...maybe not everyone can afford to come to all of the games...and maybe some people's work schedule won't allow it.

Putting the game in the 11:00 central ESPN time slot would have been a great move by GT.

So you lose an hour of two of tailgating...BFD.

TAILG8R
12-03-2012, 09:41 PM
I have Fios...works great...the feed from the dome is ok. Would love to see an ESPN HD broadcast from the dome.

Correct me if I'm wrong...but I think I've read here that a lot of North Dakotans don't get ESPN3.

You know...maybe not everyone can afford to come to all of the games...and maybe some people's work schedule won't allow it.

Putting the game in the 11:00 central ESPN time slot would have been a great move by GT.

Uh oh, backlash in 3,2,1 ...

WYOBISONMAN
12-03-2012, 09:42 PM
Do we know for sure this will not be on ESPN GamePlan? As of now this site (which is usually pretty accurate) has it listed as on GamePlan.....

http://lsufootball.net/tvschedule.htm

aces1180
12-03-2012, 09:43 PM
Putting the game on either Friday night or Saturday morning would be great for TV, but why sell out the fans who live a few hours away and travel to all home games? I personally wouldn't mind the 11 am on Saturday, but a Friday night game would mean leaving work early just to make kickoff.

Obviously, we will get our spotlight games in the semi and championship rounds.

ESPN doesn't give a crap about the FCS, as they have shown...However, ESPN3/Gameplan is way better than nothing.

HerdBot
12-03-2012, 09:43 PM
I agree with Gene Taylors decision but it sucks we have to choose between an ESPN game and the scenario that gives us the best chance to win. Exposure is nice but the last 2 games will draw much more viewership and overall exposure. Espn sucks.

bisonaudit
12-03-2012, 09:47 PM
If I'm the AD there's ZERO change I'd take an 11am game just to be on ESPN, assuming it was even offered. Zero. This team played one game at noon and two games at 1pm all year. You do not ask them to play an 11am playoff game. Keep them on their regular game day schedule. It's much better for the fans and the program to win on ESPN3 than lose on ESPN. The best exposure and the most enjoyment for the fans will be had by playing again next week. It's Gene's responsibility to do everything he can to maximize the chances of that happening.

marenlee
12-03-2012, 09:53 PM

Many of us across the country cannot get ESPN3. There are no ISPs around that provide it. I already made the switch to DIRECTV just to get a few games on TV.

CaBisonFan
12-03-2012, 10:00 PM
There's another aspect to this. The more casual Bison fans might be attracted to an ESPN broadcast.

It's called broadening the fan base. Hook...line...and sinker.

CAS4127
12-03-2012, 10:26 PM
Can someone from the BV Geek Squad explain in layman's (CAS's) terms how to get game on ESPN3 and run it to TV. Step-by-step would be nice!! (Insert hiding under chair emoticon here)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CaBisonFan
12-03-2012, 10:31 PM
Can someone from the BV Geek Squad explain in layman's (CAS's) terms how to get game on ESPN3 and run it to TV. Step-by-step would be nice!! (Insert hiding under chair emoticon here)

We have an XBox. It's hooked up to the TV. We subscribe to ESPN on the XBox. Turn on the XBox...select ESPN...select Live games...tadaaa. For any more details, someone else will have to get involved in the discussion.

Wouldn't some of you guys like to have a DVR recording of an HD ESPN broadcast to go home and watch?

OK...I get it...the fans who travel to the games are the priority. I understand it.

marenlee
12-03-2012, 10:36 PM
We have an XBox. It's hooked up to the TV. We subscribe to ESPN on the XBox. Turn on the XBox...select ESPN...select Live games...tadaaa. For any more details, someone else will have to get involved in the discussion.

Wouldn't some of you guys like to have a DVR recording of an HD ESPN broadcast to go home and watch?

OK...I get it...the fans who travel to the games are the priority. I understand it.

Got the Xbox. Got Xbox Live Gold. Got TDS internet. Wait... TDS doesn't have ESPN3 :(

Bisonguy
12-03-2012, 10:48 PM
If I'm the AD there's ZERO change I'd take an 11am game just to be on ESPN, assuming it was even offered. Zero. This team played one game at noon and two games at 1pm all year. You do not ask them to play an 11am playoff game. Keep them on their regular game day schedule. It's much better for the fans and the program to win on ESPN3 than lose on ESPN. The best exposure and the most enjoyment for the fans will be had by playing again next week. It's Gene's responsibility to do everything he can to maximize the chances of that happening.

Yeah, there were two 2:37 games as well. I'm guessing the gameday schedule will pretty closely duplicate those games. If there's one thing Bohl is big on it's routine. Jeopardizing the team's routine and the tailgating, which helps create the most hostile environment in all of FCS, just to have one additional game on TV is asinine.

NWNDBison
12-03-2012, 11:00 PM
CAS4127: You already have an iPhone. I assume you have a service provider that includes ESPN3 in your subscription. Do you have an AppleTV? If so, all you need to do is download this app:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/watchespn/id429009175?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo%3D4

You must have a WiFi connection and turn on Airplay on your iPhone. Look under Settings.

If you don't have Apple TV, it'll cost you $99.00, but it also does Netflix and you can download iTunes movies (for a fee). You don't have to have access to an Apple Store. Any authorized Apple Service Center probably has an Apple TV in stock.

If you also have an iMac or AppleBook Pro in the household, it's even easier to go bigscreen via Apple TV. Still need WiFi and an Apple TV as the go-between device. Just Activate AirPlay mirroring under the Advanced menu of iTunes. I believe this requires iTunes 11 and maybe Mountain Lion (OS x 10.8)

Your other option is to get a Mini-Display Port to HDMI adapter or a Thunderbolt to HDMI adapter (depending on your model of Mac) and connect to your HD bigscreen TV through an HDMI cable. Advantage: cable connection, so no WiFi is required.

Don't hesitate to ask questions or PM me. Without knowing your capabilities and equipment, it's hard to give more detailed instructions.

1998braves64
12-04-2012, 12:19 AM
GT on bison rewind on Saturday specifically said he requested Saturday afternoon game, main reason just routine, NDSU fans are use to it, Players are use to it. You say it's only 2 hours but I imagine at minimum gameday procedures for the team START 6 hours before kickoff (2pm - 6 hours = 8 am). You take 2-3 hours off that means you START your gameday procedure at 6am that means you're rousing these kids out of bed at 4-5 in the morning at latest, don't think that wouldn't have an impact on their day now? It's not all about tailgating etc, I'm sure Bohl loves to keep the same routine. And having a Friday night game would be out of routine also as mentioned you "lose" a day of prep for a type of offense you haven't prepped for in almost a year. It worked for us last year, which our ultimate goal is to get to the National Championship, not see how many times we can make it on to ESPN/ESPN2.

56BISON73
12-04-2012, 12:31 AM

I would much rather have the team put in a better position to win the game. Thats the priority.
Secondly you have approx 19,000 fan who now come to an EVENT. Many travel distance to attend. They pay the bills and have a vested interest in when this game is played.

Ross
12-04-2012, 12:38 AM
Ben Leber, formerly of the Minnesota Vikings, is going to be one of the ESPN 3 analysts for the game on Saturday.

https://twitter.com/nacholeber/status/275768870302781442

Honeybooboo
12-04-2012, 12:45 AM

Ca yes the paying fans at the games are priority, you getting the game for free and me nd my group of 8 paying are way higher priority and it should be, we win and the next 2 are on big boy tv

EightyfourBison
12-04-2012, 12:51 AM
Whatever it takes to get to Frisco. My front row tickets showed up today.

missingnumber7
12-04-2012, 02:55 AM

So you lose an hour of two of tailgating...BFD.I have a hard time believing a HD broadcast from the dome would be that much better. You would still have the same crappy angles because of camera locations and lack of sideline space. It would be a sharper picture but thats about it.

EndZoneQB
12-04-2012, 03:06 AM

It was broadcast in HD last weekend.

Lots of NDakers get ESPN3. Fargoans, don't. Come to the game.

Tailgating is BIG business and a huge deal to lots of people. Not going to happen. Extra easy for you to say watching the game in the comfort of your living room not spending all week preparing for a few hours on Saturdays. We waste close to an hour just setting everything up. The program is doing just fine without ESPN. Luckily, our leaders can see what really matters.

perthbison
12-04-2012, 03:10 AM
I thought espn3 did a great job last weekend.ours locked up a couple times and got blurry off and on.

goyotes
12-04-2012, 03:51 AM
Ben Leber, formerly of the Minnesota Vikings, is going to be one of the ESPN 3 analysts for the game on Saturday.

https://twitter.com/nacholeber/status/275768870302781442
Leber is a native of Vermillion, SD, where I believe he was 2 time all-state before heading off to K-State.

NDSU_grad
12-04-2012, 04:03 AM
ours locked up a couple times and got blurry off and on.
ESPN3 was terrible for me last weekend. Very blurry about 90% of the time and froze about 50 times during the game. I have a 10 mbps download and a Macbook less than a year old so I don't think it's my hardware.

bri-dog
12-04-2012, 04:17 AM
Do we know for sure this will not be on ESPN GamePlan? As of now this site (which is usually pretty accurate) has it listed as on GamePlan.....

http://lsufootball.net/tvschedule.htm

WYO -- here is ESPN's schedule (lists ALL ESPN options).

MSU/SHSU on Friday: ESPN
GSU/ODU on Sat morning: ESPN2
Wofford/NDSU: GamePlan (and ESPN3)
EWU/ISU: ESPN3 only

DirecTv usually updates their GamePlan channel guide Tuesday night/Wednesday.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/schedule/_/week/15/group/81

(http://espn.go.com/college-football/schedule/_/week/15/group/81)

reformedUNDfan
12-04-2012, 09:49 AM
ESPN3 was terrible for me last weekend. Very blurry about 90% of the time and froze about 50 times during the game. I have a 10 mbps download and a Macbook less than a year old so I don't think it's my hardware.its a software problem i think, this used to happen to me pretty often. just refresh the browser, normally fixes it. Also make sure your browser/flash/etc is up to date.

EndZoneQB
12-04-2012, 01:15 PM
ESPN3 was terrible for me last weekend. Very blurry about 90% of the time and froze about 50 times during the game. I have a 10 mbps download and a Macbook less than a year old so I don't think it's my hardware.

Reset your modem and router before you start watching. Just because you pay for a 10mbps connection doesn't mean that's what you are getting at any given time. Resets help.

HerdBot
12-04-2012, 01:35 PM
If you want to see what the ESPN3 broadcast looked like (in standard def), here's a link. On the Marcus pick they have the return of the decibel meter. I saw it hit almost 107. The 2nd quarter Littlejohn sack sounds the loudest
http://espn.go.com/ncf/video?gameId=323362449

bisonfan08
12-04-2012, 03:44 PM
First off, the Saturday afternoon slot is best for the players, coaches and the fans attending the game. It allows the team to stay on a regular schedule and it allows all of us rowdy fans to get good and liquored up so that we can make enough noise that we give Bohl a headache (read that yesterday thought it was awesome). A lot of people travel to the games and asking them to leave work early Friday or leave ridiculously early Saturday is not a fair thing to ask of those fans who pay for season tickets year in and year out and attend these games. Yes it would be nice to be on ESPN, but we keep winning and we'll be on eventually. The WINS are the most important thing and playing Saturday afternoon gives us the best chance. For those of you fans who can't attend you have plenty of options, there are a variety of bars and restaurants that have the ability to show the game and if you have direcTV you have access to ESPN gameplan. They have an option that runs through this Saturday to get a single day pass for $24.99 which is about the same as ONE ticket to the game. Have a watch party and split it between a few people and let us that are attending the game enjoy our full day of tailgating. That's all I have to say about that.

On_the_road
12-04-2012, 03:51 PM
I absolutely agree.

First off, the Saturday afternoon slot is best for the players, coaches and the fans attending the game. It allows the team to stay on a regular schedule and it allows all of us rowdy fans to get good and liquored up so that we can make enough noise that we give Bohl a headache (read that yesterday thought it was awesome). A lot of people travel to the games and asking them to leave work early Friday or leave ridiculously early Saturday is not a fair thing to ask of those fans who pay for season tickets year in and year out and attend these games. Yes it would be nice to be on ESPN, but we keep winning and we'll be on eventually. The WINS are the most important thing and playing Saturday afternoon gives us the best chance. For those of you fans who can't attend you have plenty of options, there are a variety of bars and restaurants that have the ability to show the game and if you have direcTV you have access to ESPN gameplan. They have an option that runs through this Saturday to get a single day pass for $24.99 which is about the same as ONE ticket to the game. Have a watch party and split it between a few people and let us that are attending the game enjoy our full day of tailgating. That's all I have to say about that.

BisonAccountant44
12-04-2012, 04:01 PM
Love the 2:00 and 3:00 Saturday afternoon timeslots. 4:00 or maybe even 5:00 would work, but 3:00 is just about perfect. I leave the cities between 8:00 and 8:30, get to tailgating by 12:00 or 12:30, can have a few beverages to get loud, eat some food, shoot the shit with the guys for a while, watch the game, eat dinner, and be back in my bed by 11:00 if I want to.

If the games were Friday, I'd have a hard time getting there/taking off work to do it, I know I wouldn't have enought time to tailgate, and I'm sure many many others who don't live in Fargo would be in the same boat. Even the 11:00 Saturday would require me to either leave the cities by 6:00 or 6:30 to get there early enough a beer, or to come down Friday night.

I also love the ESPN 3 option. It allowed me to put the replay of the game on my phone while sitting at my desk yesterday to make sure I didn't miss anything!

Hammerhead
12-06-2012, 02:36 AM
It looks like us gameplan viewers are stuck with SD again according to the DirecTV guide.

Wofford @ North Dakota State
NR (Not Rated) | Genre: Football | Format: SD
Next on: Sat, Dec 8, 12:00 PM PST

NWNDBison
12-06-2012, 12:21 PM

That's interesting. I have a MacBook Pro about a year old. Streamed it to my Apple TV to get it on the big screen. My screen never froze and I didn't notice blurry. My only complaint was when the broadcast slipped from 16/9 to 4/3 during most of the game. Started at 16/9, ended at 16/9. Don't mind standard def, but at least give me 16/9.

td577
12-06-2012, 12:51 PM
I like the espn3 setup. I go to the game and if I want to watch the game again on tv, turn Xbox on and watch the replay of the game. The beauty of all this is not one second used on my Dvr.

TAILG8R
12-06-2012, 03:15 PM
That's interesting. I have a MacBook Pro about a year old. Streamed it to my Apple TV to get it on the big screen. My screen never froze and I didn't notice blurry. My only complaint was when the broadcast slipped from 16/9 to 4/3 during most of the game. Started at 16/9, ended at 16/9. Don't mind standard def, but at least give me 16/9.

I noticed that some of the clips on NCAA.com were 16:9 and some were 4:3, I was wondering why.