PDA

View Full Version : Don't underestimate your opponent!

gizmo
12-03-2012, 04:49 AM
Overconfidence is like a cancer. Once it gets going it's hard to stop. Fans get it, media gets it and eventually it can spread to the team. Obviously, most Bison fans were not overconfident about beating the bunnies and look how that turned out! You must respect your opponent or you will get beat.

The Bison had better take the Wofford Terriers seriously, IMO. Wofford has won some big games this year and played well against a FBS power (South Carolina). The Terriers are strong on both sides of the ball and they deserve to be in the quarterfinals.

Meanwhile, the Bison have their own issues. Can we win another NC with just a so-so offense and an occasional trick play? Our stellar D will carry us along way but sooner or later we have to find ways to score more points.

NDSU vs. Wofford will be a war!

GO BISON!!!!

onbison09
12-03-2012, 05:03 AM
Thank you! It's not a huge deal if the fans do it though

NDSUstudent
12-03-2012, 05:11 AM
Meanwhile, the Bison have their own issues. Can we win another NC with just a so-so offense and an occasional trick play? Yes, our stellar D will carry us along way but sooner or later we have to find ways to score more points.

Is our offense really any worse or better than it was last year?

2012 vs 2011
Scoring: 34.9 vs 31.3
Rushing YPG: 198.8 vs 173 .3
Pasing YPG: 182.4 vs 172.7
3rd Down%: 53 vs 42
4th Down%: 81 vs 67
Turnovers: 12 vs 13

Last year's team was slightly better in the redzone.

HerdBot
12-03-2012, 05:14 AM
The team didn't take Prairie View lightly. Why would they take a quarter finals playoff game against a powerful Southern Conference team lightly?

SamsRams
12-03-2012, 05:25 AM
Noone is taking odu lightly......excuse me......Im being told their is a game before odu. point being Im still not overlooking odu

Rynomite
12-03-2012, 05:36 AM
Noone is taking odu lightly......excuse me......Im being told their is a game before odu. point being Im still not overlooking odu

Couldn't have put it better myself.

IzzyFlexion
12-03-2012, 05:40 AM
Fans conditioning themselves so as not to understimate opponents is a bit of an irrational concept in my opinion. This is not a shot at you gizmo as I often refer to myself as "controller of the bad luck of the universe". (see irrational above :)) I believe that fans worrying about becoming overconfident is akin to a "jinx" fear.

This program is where it is today because of preparation for each and every opponent with precision and thoroughness. The Herd will be respectful of Wofford's team. Over confidence won't cause this Bison team to stumble.

Bison03
12-03-2012, 05:47 AM
I can gaurantee you that the team will not be overconfident and overlook anybody. Fans can talk all the shit they want and say stupid stuff, and that's fine. The team knows who they are, who the opponent is, and know what to do to win this time of year. We will not overlook Wofford; we will prepare efficiently.

ndsubisonx
12-03-2012, 08:39 AM
barring injuries to most of our defensive starters you bet i will be overlooking wofford. clearly they are a good team but our defense is just too damn good. id prefer to play a power running team any day than a spread pass happy/no huddle type team. their running game plays into our favor because of our discipline, preparedness, depth and speed. they are prone to turnovers and you know what happens when our defense creates turnovers...

BisoninNWMN
12-03-2012, 11:07 AM
Wofford is a good team but they do one thing.

They have 3 loses and have been close in numerous others. Ya, their triple-option will probably get some yards but if they score more than 2 TDs I will be surprised.

Plus, our offense is doing pretty good lately.

Bison win this 31-6

WYOBISONMAN
12-03-2012, 11:47 AM
If I take an opponent lightly, it has exactly ZERO impact on the performance of the football team. As a fan it is absolutely fine to look beyond the stomping of the Wofford Terriers to the upcoming battle with Old Dominion at the Fargodome.....LOL!!!!

stevdock
12-03-2012, 11:56 AM
There is one way that overlooking an opponent by the fans can affect the team/game and that is the noise level in the dome. A lot of the regular season games the fans were looking forward to a next game, and the Dome was very quiet because of it.

gizmo
12-03-2012, 12:50 PM
If I take an opponent lightly, it has exactly ZERO impact on the performance of the football team. As a fan it is absolutely fine to look beyond the stomping of the Wofford Terriers to the upcoming battle with Old Dominion at the Fargodome.....LOL!!!!

Apparently you think Bison football players do not read this forum.

MarkyMark
12-03-2012, 01:08 PM
I am overlooking this one but I will still scream my guts out on Sat.

Bison win easily in my opinion.

HerdBot
12-03-2012, 01:41 PM

Everyone reads this forum. But fans attitudes have nothing to do with how hard they prepare or play against Wofford. Fans will go bat shit crazy as always. We're only 2 wins away from Frisco Texas baby!!!

Hammerhead
12-03-2012, 01:43 PM
I hope any current players don't take anything they read on message boards to seriously. :) Any team that makes it past the 2nd round of the playoffs is a good team. That being said, NDSU earned the #1 seed for a reason and Wofford has been beaten when facing teams that play good defense.

steelbison
12-03-2012, 01:59 PM
Overconfidence is like a cancer. Once it gets going it's hard to stop. Fans get it, media gets it and eventually it can spread to the team. Obviously, most Bison fans were not overconfident about beating the bunnies and look how that turned out! You must respect your opponent or you will get beat.

The Bison had better take the Wofford Terriers seriously, IMO. Wofford has won some big games this year and played well against a FBS power (South Carolina). The Terriers are strong on both sides of the ball and they deserve to be in the quarterfinals.

Meanwhile, the Bison have their own issues. Can we win another NC with just a so-so offense and an occasional trick play? Our stellar D will carry us along way but sooner or later we have to find ways to score more points.

GO BISON!!!!

I like our offense a lot more than the one we had last year. Our WR's are healthy and the o-line has really started to maul people that last two games. That was a very good defense we dominated on Saturday.

thundarsdaddy
12-03-2012, 02:10 PM
There is one way that overlooking an opponent by the fans can affect the team/game and that is the noise level in the dome. A lot of the regular season games the fans were looking forward to a next game, and the Dome was very quiet because of it.

BINGO! This is where fans DO make a difference, in the noise level inside the Dome!
We sit close to the field, on the east side by the south endzone and have had these same season tickets since 2005. Saturdays noise level had to have been as noisy as any game we had ever heard from our seats! I dont know what other people thought, but the place ROCKED form the get-go. For whatever reason, the Bison Fans had a ton of energy and it resonated throughout the Dome!
We have a family that has season tickets directly behind us, and they have 3 kids under the age of 10. Also sitting usually right in front of us is a couple that brings their 2 lil girls, about 4 and 6 y/o. Saturday neither family brought their kids, as they anticipated it being too noisy for the kids. They commented on how they were glad the kids didnt come!!

I agree that if Fans get too cocky thinking it will be a cake-walk, it translates into a quieter Dome..and that cant happen! I honestly dont think too many Bison Fans though think this will be a cake-walk, the Dome will ROCK again this saturday!!

GoRams
12-03-2012, 02:45 PM
Is our offense really any worse or better than it was last year?

2012 vs 2011
Scoring: 34.9 vs 31.3
Rushing YPG: 198.8 vs 173 .3
Pasing YPG: 182.4 vs 172.7
3rd Down%: 53 vs 42
4th Down%: 81 vs 67
Turnovers: 12 vs 13

Last year's team was slightly better in the redzone.

Good point, just one other observation as well on the offense. I believe that had the Bison kept the pedal to the metal they would have scored alot more points on Saturday then 28. We were really gashing them running the ball the playbook was being opened up a bit. Coach Bohl mentioned in his post-game comment that they really did idle everything down purposly in the second half. He said that when you have the best defense in the country you can leverage that and play field position and time of possession safely without mistakes, and really force the opponent to try and make something happen on offense. I think if the Bison need to they can crank it up, it appears they have been saving alot things. Did you notice when we put Carson Wentz in at WR and ran the fake reverse, talk about options and a defensive nightmare.

AjaxTheMighty
12-03-2012, 02:47 PM

I got my rear end chewed by a dude on here for overlooking SDSU and I, for the life of me, can't understand this thought process. The psychology of it is completely out of wack. Let's say a fanbase like the Bison's overlooks a team! Do teams really lose games because some people in the stands have an arrogant or overly-confident attitude about it? teams can't possibly win then because there will always be some that do. Craig Bohl has done a lot of good things with this team, including winning a national title, but one of his best accomplishments is how he teaches focus to a team. It it amazing to me how focused our players and coaches are fromt the top down. I overlooked SDSU and had no doubts we would beat them. Does that disprove the "don't overlook this team" garbage. In fact, I think we should run an experiment. I don't think Wofford has much of a chance against the Bison in the FFD. But that's just me. It seems like a superstition thing more than a factor in winning or losing. I certainly don't see coaches begging fans to not "over-look" teams if it is a factor of winning or losing. I have to disagree with every fiber of my being with you on this one, and find myself in disbelief that it is a topic on Bisonville.

onbison09
12-03-2012, 03:16 PM
Fans conditioning themselves so as not to understimate opponents is a bit of an irrational concept in my opinion. This is not a shot at you gizmo as I often refer to myself as "controller of the bad luck of the universe". (see irrational above :)) I believe that fans worrying about becoming overconfident is akin to a "jinx" fear.

This program is where it is today because of preparation for each and every opponent with precision and thoroughness. The Herd will be respectful of Wofford's team. Over confidence won't cause this Bison team to stumble.

It's a superstition thing for me. I guess I'm just used to the Cowboys fans down here saying the next game will be easy and then they crap the bed. Thankfully the Bison come through more than the Boys

WYOBISONMAN
12-03-2012, 03:18 PM

If they read this forum and take our advice.......which i seriously doubt they do.......they probably shouldn't be playing.

CAS4127
12-03-2012, 03:26 PM
My mindset as a player was as follows most of the time:

Early week: We can beat them because we are better--shouldn't be a problem (this was after coming off a good win).

Mid-week: Shit, these guys are pretty damn good, and we better be ready to go (this after practicing against their schemes and studying lots of film, and after having it pounded in my head by coaches that "they are a damn good team--get prepared).

Late week: We are in for a battle, tighten up the chin strap, get good rest and nutrition, and play balls the wall to make damn sure we win this losable game (this after full week of prep and film watching, and seeing that the other team, too, has some very good players).

I'm betting the mindset of our current players isn't a hell of lot different.

Just my .02.

bisonmike2
12-03-2012, 03:33 PM
http://www.goupstate.com/article/20121202/ARTICLES/121209963/1090/sports02?Title=Wofford-prepping-for-playoff-trip-to-North-Dakota-State

Do NOT underestimate them. Their coach has a mustache.

SafeTeeJ
12-03-2012, 03:57 PM
I watched the USC game. They look pretty solid. They played them very tough on both offense and Defense. We need to take away the dive to #7 priority No1. good gap defense should do this. The pitch can be taken away with pusuit and filling the alley. Some of their formations remind me of Millersville or Augustana in the Late 80's when they had the San Augustine RB. Look for them to add some traps and Belly plays this week.

On offense, I think we can run off tackle. If Jensen doesn't take too many risks and doesn't turn the ball over we should win this.. It will be a tough game. looks like they have some tough, hardworking, down to earth players.

DePereBisonFan
12-03-2012, 03:58 PM
1. Colorado State didn't overlook us, and they still lost.
2. I'm sort of already preparing for the Kansas State game...oh dear...

bisonmike2
12-03-2012, 04:11 PM
We don't see these option offense enough and if we aren't sound in technique on gameday, they could hurt us. But this coaching staff has had this team prepared almost every series over the entire year. And they've continually proven that they can make adjustments during the game to shutdown things that might be working for teams. I see this game going down exactly like the G. Southern game from last year.

CAS4127
12-03-2012, 04:14 PM
I watched the USC game. They look pretty solid. They played them very tough on both offense and Defense. We need to take away the dive to #7 priority No1. good gap defense should do this. The pitch can be taken away with pusuit and filling the alley. Some of their formations remind me of Millersville or Augustana in the Late 80's when they had the San Augustine RB. Look for them to add some traps and Belly plays this week.

On offense, I think we can run off tackle. If Jensen doesn't take too many risks and doesn't turn the ball over we should win this.. It will be a tough game. looks like they have some tough, hardworking, down to earth players.

Saw some of the USC game. One thing I noticed is they seem to have pretty good team speed--they looked every bit as fast as USC. We may have to adjust to that a bit in order to get into the proper flow of the game.

bison_by_blood
12-03-2012, 04:39 PM
I got my rear end chewed by a dude on here for overlooking SDSU and I, for the life of me, can't understand this thought process. The psychology of it is completely out of wack. Let's say a fanbase like the Bison's overlooks a team! Do teams really lose games because some people in the stands have an arrogant or overly-confident attitude about it? teams can't possibly win then because there will always be some that do. Craig Bohl has done a lot of good things with this team, including winning a national title, but one of his best accomplishments is how he teaches focus to a team. It it amazing to me how focused our players and coaches are fromt the top down. I overlooked SDSU and had no doubts we would beat them. Does that disprove the "don't overlook this team" garbage. In fact, I think we should run an experiment. I don't think Wofford has much of a chance against the Bison in the FFD. But that's just me. It seems like a superstition thing more than a factor in winning or losing. I certainly don't see coaches begging fans to not "over-look" teams if it is a factor of winning or losing. I have to disagree with every fiber of my being with you on this one, and find myself in disbelief that it is a topic on Bisonville.

To assume a 19 year old kid couldn't possibly be affected by what he reads on social media? The psychology of that is completely out of wack. Hopefully you're right and it doesn't matter one iota. But there are only a few things we as fans can do to affect the game; Teammakers, loud Dome, etc...the attitude around the city and this message board may be waaaaaayyy down the list. But if there is a 1% chance it affects one person on the team negatively, I certainly don't want to be a part of it. Show up for every game like it's the National Championship.

Coach Bohl, the staff and the team do an unbelievable job of teaching focus. You've got that part correct. How bout we do what we can as fans to make their job easier, even if it's just by the smallest amount.

CAS4127
12-03-2012, 04:54 PM
To assume a 19 year old kid couldn't possibly be affected by what he reads on social media? The psychology of that is completely out of wack. Hopefully you're right and it doesn't matter one iota. But there are only a few things we as fans can do to affect the game; Teammakers, loud Dome, etc...the attitude around the city and this message board may be waaaaaayyy down the list. But if there is a 1% chance it affects one person on the team negatively, I certainly don't want to be a part of it. Show up for every game like it's the National Championship.

Coach Bohl, the staff and the team do an unbelievable job of teaching focus. You've got that part correct. How bout we do what we can as fans to make their job easier, even if it's just by the smallest amount.

I was pretty damn confident we would beat the Jacks soundly, and I even posted it right here for all to see--no way does what fans think effect player performance. If it does, than why not the opposite with the WBB program. Given that most here think they suck and are not favored to win many games, shouldn't they come out and win them all?! Just sayin'!!

stevdock
12-03-2012, 05:17 PM
I was pretty damn confident we would beat the Jacks soundly, and I even posted it right here for all to see--no way does what fans think effect player performance. If it does, than why not the opposite with the WBB program. Given that most here think they suck and are not favored to win many games, shouldn't they come out and win them all?! Just sayin'!!

But does having a highly energized crowd affect the game?? Think back to the ISU-B game that crowd was pretty quiet in my opinion, add in post-homecoming hangover, and it was a recipe for disaster that ISU-B took advantage of. Would the girls play better, or at least with more energy if the place was packed and loud?? Probably.

JSUBison
12-03-2012, 05:22 PM
Well, I guess nobody remembers Confused2012 posting in the basketball forum last year. I'd say bisonville affected him enough to sign up and start posting. I don't know if anyone can say 100% it was *****, but it all seemed to fit. Plus the dude hasn't posted since the end of BB season last spring.

gizmo
12-03-2012, 05:26 PM

If you don't like the topic then why such an impressive response?

tony
12-03-2012, 05:28 PM

Based on the post-game comments, the players were very confident going into the game... it kinda sounded like they would like to play SDSU again as soon as possible and beat their asses even harder.

It's nice that our fans get along but, wow, there is some bad blood between SDSU and NDSU players.

I want the team to be confident going into the game. Over-confidence only hurts if it leads to not doing the preparations before game day and coming out flat on game day.

bison_by_blood
12-03-2012, 05:47 PM

While we're at it try to explain the Vikings. Right when the KFAN boys start saying they are the best is right when they fall apart. Is that just coincidence year after year, coach after coach? Not trying to compare the two because i know what kind of sh*t storm that can start. Go ahead and be confident, we need some of that too. IMO the "feel" around a game does matter and I'm going to post accordingly.

CAS4127
12-03-2012, 05:47 PM
But does having a highly energized crowd affect the game?? Think back to the ISU-B game that crowd was pretty quiet in my opinion, add in post-homecoming hangover, and it was a recipe for disaster that ISU-B took advantage of. Would the girls play better, or at least with more energy if the place was packed and loud?? Probably.

That's not the point I was making, and is probably a topic for another discussion.

AjaxTheMighty
12-03-2012, 07:01 PM
If you don't like the topic then why such an impressive response?

I'm actually not saying I don't like the topic. I just cant belive that people think my attitude in the stands somehow mysteriously affects the players on the field...aaand is a forum topic. I hear this so much on BV I really can't help myself! If it is true then what else can we affect? I mean, a fan's over confidence is only one attitude. What if a fan base was say, a push-over type. Would those teams lose every game because they fans are too nice, and too much of a push-over? Or would they win a lot by killing them with kindness? I'm just saying it is a weird topic. I think this is like discussing the chupacabra. I am loud at every game despite my attitude! And blaming the crowd for ISU-blue? (This isn't directed at you gizmo) Really? Was it the crowd noise or the 2 of 3 INTs returned for TDs. I think I have the answer. Or wait, was it my over confidence to blame? I thought we would win because we have a better team. Please don't tell coach Bohl. He would be mad at me I think.

BisonNation11
12-03-2012, 07:10 PM
I'm actually not saying I don't like the topic. I just cant belive that people think my attitude in the stands somehow mysteriously affects the players on the field...aaand is a forum topic. I hear this so much on BV I really can't help myself! If it is true then what else can we affect? I mean, a fan's over confidence is only one attitude. What if a fan base was say, a push-over type. Would those teams lose every game because they fans are too nice, and too much of a push-over? Or would they win a lot by killing them with kindness? I'm just saying it is a weird topic. I think this is like discussing the chupacabra. I am loud at every game despite my attitude! And blaming the crowd for ISU-blue? (This isn't directed at you gizmo) Really? Was it the crowd noise or the 2 of 3 INTs returned for TDs. I think I have the answer. Or wait, was it my over confidence to blame? I thought we would win because we have a better team. Please don't tell coach Bohl. He would be mad at me I think.

What I read in the thread topic is this: Check yourself. Before you go on a rant about how good we are or how bad they are, check yourself. Before you underestimate someone, something, etc., check yourself. Show some respect as you would want done to yourself.

We as fans of the Bison have every reason to be confident in our team, but that doesn't give us the right to run around and act like a-holes. There are 8 teams left in this tournament and for good reason. Talk softly and carry a big stick.

ndsubisonx
12-03-2012, 07:17 PM

theres no doubt i commend them for their effort against SC. they played them tough. but you have to wonder how much they really prepared for Wofford with Clemson looming the following week. and how much time the normal players actually played. but still it was a solid effort

AjaxTheMighty
12-03-2012, 07:40 PM
What I read in the thread topic is this: Check yourself. Before you go on a rant about how good we are or how bad they are, check yourself. Before you underestimate someone, something, etc., check yourself. Show some respect as you would want done to yourself.

We as fans of the Bison have every reason to be confident in our team, but that doesn't give us the right to run around and act like a-holes. There are 8 teams left in this tournament and for good reason. Talk softly and carry a big stick.

The only person I know that acts like that is lakes! Otherwise I think BVers can keep their advice on how we are supposed to feel and act about upcoming games to themselves. If we wanted a sermon we can go to church.

NFH Schlüssel
12-03-2012, 07:42 PM
I called over to our football office today to request the game film against Wofford. Plan to send it off to the Bison football office. Don't know if they want or need it; just trying to do my part in not being overconfident.

KilldeerBison
12-03-2012, 07:44 PM

http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l559/phedger/checkyourself.jpg

I'm not sure how this can make me a better fan?:)

BisonNation11
12-03-2012, 07:48 PM
http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l559/phedger/checkyourself.jpg

I'm not sure how this can make me a better fan?:)

If you don't get checked, you'll be wrecked! If you're wrecked, you're not around to be a fan! :)

heffray
12-03-2012, 08:06 PM

I get what you are saying here. I'm not sure what Gizmo was getting at, and I doubt that our players actually read and/or care about this forum. But what I do know is this:

You can read and post all you want on this Forum about Bison Football and anything else. The whole point of this thing is sharing an opinion. If your opinion, for instance, is that we will beat the Terriers on Saturday because the moon will be in the last quarter of its rotation around the earth,* then I will have a chance to question that opinion, and post my own opinion agreeing or disagreeing. If one person says "hey we will kill these guys," and then the other person says, "hey, this will be a close one," and then as a result some guy says "don't be overconfident," none of it matters. So why are we posting this stuff at all? Because we can.

Moral of the story: Post all you want whatever you want. Be prepared to be disagreed with if you take a stance on something. This topic is no different.

That is all.

*Edit: The moon's gravitational pull probably has more bearing on a team winning and losing than a school's historical win/loss record against opponent, or a school's rich tradition.

CAS4127
12-03-2012, 08:26 PM
I get what you are saying here. I'm not sure what Gizmo was getting at, and I doubt that our players actually read and/or care about this forum. But what I do know is this:

You can read and post all you want on this Forum about Bison Football and anything else. The whole point of this thing is sharing an opinion. If your opinion, for instance, is that we will beat the Terriers on Saturday because the moon will be in the last quarter of its rotation around the earth,* then I will have a chance to question that opinion, and post my own opinion agreeing or disagreeing. If one person says "hey we will kill these guys," and then the other person says, "hey, this will be a close one," and then as a result some guy says "don't be overconfident," none of it matters. So why are we posting this stuff at all? Because we can.

Moral of the story: Post all you want whatever you want. Be prepared to be disagreed with if you take a stance on something. This topic is no different.

That is all.

*Edit: The moon's gravitational pull probably has more bearing on a team winning and losing than a school's historical win/loss record against opponent, or a school's rich tradition.

@red: Or whether the fanbase is overconfident<--you forgot that one!!

KSBisonFan
12-03-2012, 08:30 PM
The only person I know that acts like that is lakes! Otherwise I think BVers can keep their advice on how we are supposed to feel and act about upcoming games to themselves. If we wanted a sermon we can go to church.

Or just read the trainwreck of a thread called, "Notre Dame"....

EndZoneQB
12-03-2012, 08:38 PM
Or just read the trainwreck of a thread called, "Notre Dame"....

That was going to be my post.

check neg rep

stevdock
12-03-2012, 08:51 PM

Go back and read what I wrote. I never said we lost because the crowd wasn't into it. But it sure doesn't help.

AjaxTheMighty
12-03-2012, 09:21 PM

That is all.

I think what I am doing here is disagreeing. Aren't I? And I feel pretty prepared to take criticism for my posts. If not, I wouldn't post. I, in no way, want to shut this thread down if that is what you are getting at. I am not one of those guys who jumps on a thread and whines about a repeat thread, or something is "stupid"......(uncomfortable silence)......... I am saying this thread is hard one to believe that people actually think fan confidence plays a role in the game. That's all. I feel like I am in some weird time/reality warp or something. Didn't you just tell me my post about the Bison being the better program was stupid just a day or two ago? Then I said something like, hey I'll post whatever I want. Then you said in not so many words, Shut up moron don't get over confident. Then I said, your a dumbhead. Then we ended by quoting movies? So you are defending my right to state that this thread has disjointed psychological theory behind it or your right to tell me I'm stupid? Probably a little of both I guess. Either way, I think we have entered......

CAS4127
12-03-2012, 10:05 PM
I will go out a very large limb and say I would bet decent money our players know they are favored to win. Wonder if that effects how they will prepare and play when they know the experts and computers believe they will win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WYOBISONMAN
12-03-2012, 10:08 PM
I think the Terriers are going to shit rubber nickels the moment the Herd takes the field. Those little dogs will be lucky to score a TD! How's that for confidence. Next Saturday I shall be drinking beer in the GrainBelt bar here in my basement......and I sure hope my attitude has no impact on the outcome...... But.....the Herd is gonna cover the spread by a long shot!!!!!

gizmo
12-03-2012, 10:25 PM
I'm surprised the overconfidence issue is all that confusing. Upsets happen all the time and if Wofford pulls this one off it would be all but unthinkable to most Bison fans. Meanwhile, Wofford has every intention of coming to the FFD and knocking off the mighty Bison. I'm of the opinion that state of mind plays a significant role in determining who wins and who loses. If your mind isn't in the right place during the practice week then it will certainly not be there for the game. Can NDSU really go most of the season as the #1 ranked team and not have it go to the players' heads to some extent? IMO, overconfidence breeds complacency and that's when most upsets occur.

Do the Bison have the hunger this year? We played great against SDSU and that was a very positive sign but there cannot be a letup. Wofford is more than capable of knocking us off. IMO, keeping the Bison motivated for this game is a major issue this week for the coaching staff.

While the fans don't play the game there is a chance that overconfidence bleeds off to some players. I'm not willing to be a part of it even if it's only a slight chance.

td577
12-03-2012, 10:58 PM
I'm surprised the overconfidence issue is all that confusing. Upsets happen all the time and if Wofford pulls this one off it would be all but unthinkable to most Bison fans. Meanwhile, Wofford has every intention of coming to the FFD and knocking off the mighty Bison. I'm of the opinion that state of mind plays a significant role in determining who wins and who loses. If your mind isn't in the right place during the practice week then it will certainly not be there for the game. Can NDSU really go most of the season as the #1 ranked team and not have it go to the players' heads to some extent? IMO, overconfidence breeds complacency and that's when most upsets occur.

Do the Bison have the hunger this year? We played great against SDSU and that was a very positive sign but there cannot be a letup. Wofford is more than capable of knocking us off. IMO, keeping the Bison motivated for this game is a major issue this week for the coaching staff.

While the fans don't play the game there is a chance that overconfidence bleeds off to some players. I'm not willing to be a part of it even if it's only a slight chance.

First of all, I hope the Bison have the confidence of being the best team in the country. When you start talking about the best teams in the country still playing, on any level, the differences are less physical than they are about their mentality. I hope the Bison players are not going to let anyone come into this house, especially during the playoffs, and have an enjoyable trip home. If they are confident and working hard, then you can completely throw out the possibility of overconfidence. Overconfidence is confidence without work. This team seems to know how to prepare during the postseason and have left little doubt they are one of the hardest working teams in the FCS.

There has yet to be a playoff game where the players have mailed it in for the past three seasons and with the nucleus of players having serious playoff experience, I doubt it will happen now. There is my confidence. More confidence comes from finally getting out of the MVFC. There are some playoff teams that might be able to win a game against the Bison but they may not have made it through this conference. Again, this shows these MVFC teams have to prepare for every game with a high level of intensity and focus. How many other teams in the nation have that kind of season long practice going into the playoffs.

I fully expect Wofford to bring their A game. I also fully expect the Bison players to take care of business. There were Bunny players with their hands on their hips in the second quarter. If the Bison players are doing their homework, listening to the coaches, and taking this one game at a time; the scoreboard will reflect this focus favorably towards the Bison. While this is a game played with a funny looking ball that can take funny looking bounces, motivation is the least of my worries for this team.

AjaxTheMighty
12-04-2012, 12:02 AM

I'm going to break it to you softly gizmo. Your confidence level will not play any role in this game. Not any game. Not ever. So you can rest easy. CAS already posted on this. He is a former player and he would know better than you or I. I am friends with former players. They laugh at this concept. It actually might be Freudian. I think its called projection. It's where someone attemps to projects a belief or feeling to someone else to relieve guilt of their own beliefs or thoughts. Now, lets welcome the Terriors to Fargo...and whoop em' BISON-STYLE!

EightyfourBison
12-04-2012, 12:33 AM
I'm going to break it to you softly gizmo. Your confidence level will not play any role in this game. Not any game. Not ever. So you can rest easy. CAS already posted on this. He is a former player and he would know better than you or I. I am friends with former players. They laugh at this concept. It actually might be Freudian. I think its called projection. It's where someone attemps to projects a belief or feeling to someone else to relieve guilt of their own beliefs or thoughts. Now, lets welcome the Terriors to Fargo...and whoop em' BISON-STYLE!

Now there's a song in there somewhere. Whoop-whoop-whoop, Bison style. Whoop-whoop-whoop. Bison style.*

see Gangnam style for melody.

Hammerhead
12-04-2012, 02:25 AM
Every team in the playoffs thinks they can win if they play a good game so I don't think confidence is an issue. I'm confident that the coaching staff will keep the players focused. Most of the team remembers the feeling they had after losing to EWU and the elation of winning it all.

CAS4127
12-04-2012, 02:48 AM
Every team in the playoffs thinks they can win if they play a good game so I don't think confidence is an issue. I'm confident that the coaching staff will keep the players focused. Most of the team remembers the feeling they had after losing to EWU and the elation of winning it all.

Well said!! When we did lose, coaches would tell us to remember the feeling, and the feeling stung deeply!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bookem
12-04-2012, 02:51 AM
It's kind of hard to tell fans that bought Frisco tickets months before the season is over not to be overconfident, (see cognitive dissonance) only reason to be subtle is to be less butthurt after a loss.

heffray
12-04-2012, 03:30 AM
I think what I am doing here is disagreeing. Aren't I? And I feel pretty prepared to take criticism for my posts. If not, I wouldn't post. I, in no way, want to shut this thread down if that is what you are getting at. I am not one of those guys who jumps on a thread and whines about a repeat thread, or something is "stupid"......(uncomfortable silence)......... I am saying this thread is hard one to believe that people actually think fan confidence plays a role in the game. That's all. I feel like I am in some weird time/reality warp or something. Didn't you just tell me my post about the Bison being the better program was stupid just a day or two ago? Then I said something like, hey I'll post whatever I want. Then you said in not so many words, Shut up moron don't get over confident. Then I said, your a dumbhead. Then we ended by quoting movies? So you are defending my right to state that this thread has disjointed psychological theory behind it or your right to tell me I'm stupid? Probably a little of both I guess. Either way, I think we have entered......

...and we have a winner. That's pretty much all I was getting at. Oh, AND that our school's history and or rich tradition of years past has as little to do with winning as our fan-base's opinion of whether they will win or not.

In any case, I will always stand in defense of anyone's right to post anything, especially if its asinine because that gives posters of a more critical ilk something about which to post.

Free Lakes!

AjaxTheMighty
12-04-2012, 03:32 AM

But you are talking about team confidence hammerhead, which without a doubt can affect the outcome of a game. Others, including me, are arguing fan confidence affects the outcome of a game. I know...I need to let it go. It just bugs me that people think that.

BisoninNWMN
12-04-2012, 11:55 AM
Bison win this 31-6.

EB gets the bulk of the carriers. Now is one player going to come into the FD and dominate this defense? No frickin way. Wofford has passed the ball only 80 times all season, at less than 50% rate. Obviously they haven't had to pass but no way do they run for 300 on this defense......maybe around 200. But if the coaches play field position and make them march the whole field, there is no way this team wins in the FD.

Watching highlights of Wofford, they have a good defense. IMO, the Bison O-line will wear them down in the 2nd half. Sustained drives by the Bison offense will be key. Score first and get a lead. The triple-option is not a catch-up offense.

They should be confident, any team should be now. But they haven't run into the Bison defense yet. #1 in 6 defensive categories.

Great Bison defense + home game = I like our chances.

Bison 31-6

unbison
12-04-2012, 12:20 PM

GO BISON!!!!
Are you related to gabe or a alter ego of the gabe

gizmo
12-04-2012, 07:22 PM
[QUOTE=unbison;687170]Are you related to gabe or a alter ego of the gabe[/QUOTE

Not related and I have no ego hence no confidence.