PDA

View Full Version : playoff rule question

KTF
11-27-2012, 06:43 PM
On my drive back home via Fargo over thanksgiving I was listening to the Rabbit game (literally nothing else to do on I-94 pretty much have the road memorized:)) Anyway, during the game, the sideline or color guy said that SDSU was limited to 60 players dressed per NCAA playoff rules.

Is this true? Seems like a bad deal for a team that is fully funded at 63 schollies to limit to 60. IF this is true, who does NDSU not allow to dress that would have normally dressed?

NorthernBison
11-27-2012, 07:00 PM
I looked at the 2010 manual that somebody linked and the official traveling party is 130 for preliminary rounds and 145 for the Championship. It says a maximum of 60 student athletes in uniform for the preliminary rounds and 70 for the Championship.

CAS4127
11-27-2012, 07:05 PM
On my drive back home via Fargo over thanksgiving I was listening to the Rabbit game (literally nothing else to do on I-94 pretty much have the road memorized:)) Anyway, during the game, the sideline or color guy said that SDSU was limited to 60 players dressed per NCAA playoff rules.

Is this true? Seems like a bad deal for a team that is fully funded at 63 schollies to limit to 60. IF this is true, who does NDSU not allow to dress that would have normally dressed?

Do we normally dress 63 when on the road?! Yes, we have 63 schollies, but some of those are redshirts who wouldn't travel anyway.

NorthernBison
11-27-2012, 07:11 PM
Do we normally dress 63 when on the road?! Yes, we have 63 schollies, but some of those are redshirts who wouldn't travel anyway.

I've never counted. We can have up to 85 athletes receiving scholarship money accounting for 63 full scholarships. I have to admit that I've never counted the total players on the roster. Maybe 90? (just did a quick count on phone and it looks like 101???)

90 BISON
11-27-2012, 07:21 PM
I looked at the 2010 manual that somebody linked and the official traveling party is 130 for preliminary rounds and 145 for the Championship. It says a maximum of 60 student athletes in uniform for the preliminary rounds and 70 for the Championship.

Probably 60 student athletes will have travel paid for by the NCAA. Why would they limit number of student athletes that can dress?

KTF
11-27-2012, 07:21 PM
I looked at the 2010 manual that somebody linked and the official traveling party is 130 for preliminary rounds and 145 for the Championship. It says a maximum of 60 student athletes in uniform for the preliminary rounds and 70 for the Championship. so the 130 & 140 would be coaches, assistants, players, waterboys, etc...???

I have never counted how many are onthe sidelines for games. I know that some are not taken with on road games but didn't know the numbers.

KTF
11-27-2012, 07:23 PM
The SDSU color/announcer guy said that SDSU was allowed 3 rb's Zenner and Ramby (SP?) were 1 &2 and Kool (sp?) was 3rd... I would think that SDSU would have a 3rd string tailback unless limited by players dressed...

NorthernBison
11-27-2012, 07:25 PM
Probably 60 student athletes will have travel paid for by the NCAA. Why would they limit number of student athletes that can dress?

I was thinking the same thing. Somebody knows the answer. It's not me.

90 BISON
11-27-2012, 07:32 PM

NCAA is cheap appears to be the most logical answer does anyone know for sure?

roadwarrior
11-27-2012, 08:34 PM
Isn't 60 players the size of the travel squad during the regular season? (this might be a conference rule)

Professor Chaos
11-27-2012, 09:36 PM

Most likely for the same reason the PA announcer can't do the normal cheers. The NCAA wants to give the pretense of this being a neutral playing field (even though they're kidding no one, they're just reducing costs) and since they only pay for 60 student athletes to travel with the road team they don't allow the home team to dress any more than that.

IndyBison
11-27-2012, 10:46 PM
You would be amazed how many restrictions they put on their championships. When I've worked Final Fours each team is allowed certain numbers of everything. When Butler was in the Final Four they were allowed only 12 cheerleaders just like everyone else but their squad was much larger. The others weren't allowed to do anything with the squad. Michigan State sent 6 cheerleaders and 6 dance team members but only 1 coach was allowed in. The other one had to sit in the stands. I was the host for Sparty and he had to get out of his costume to go through security because they have to see your face and he's not allowed to be seen in his costume without the head.