PDA

View Full Version : SDSU/NDSU common opponents

THEsocalledfan
11-26-2012, 05:52 PM
Well, much is being made of how tough the Jacks played NDSU a few short weeks ago. I have seen many folks posting different numbers, and it got me to thinking how did the teams did with common opponents:

Indiana State 10
SDSU 24

Indiana State 17
NDSU 14

So, at this point, +17 point differential for SDSU.

Missouri St. 7
SDSU 17

Missouri St. 17
NDSU 21

So, point differential on this game is +6 for SDSU, running the overall to +23 for SDSU. This is also when this exercise gets fun!

UNI 27
SDSU 6

UNI 21
NDSU 33

So, point differential on this game is +33 for NDSU, flipping the overall to +10 for NDSU.

Youngstown 28
SDSU 41

Youngstown 7
NDSU 48

So, point differential on this game is +28 for NDSU, making the overall total +38 for NDSU.

SIU 12
SDSU 16

SIU 17
NDSU 23

So, point differential on this game is +2 for NDSU, making the overall total +40 for NDSU.

USD 8
SDSU 31

USD 0
NDSU 54

So, point differential on this game is +31 for NDSU, making the overall total a staggering +71 for NDSU, not including the win over SDSU. Granted, NDSU was on a seek and destroy mission for the USD game. I pity any fool that played them that week.

With all this said, I think we would all agree the top half of the league is much better than the rest. The common top tier opponents were Indiana St. and SIU. The point differential for those two games favors SDSU +15!

Observations:

1. It is clear NDSU really "played down" to Indiana St.'s level. They should have never lost that game and I am sure they would not have if not for the 2 pick 6's and the last interception.
2. If you look at the stats for the SDSU-UNI game, UNI only had 70 more yards of offense. The two things that standout for SDSU were two turnovers and more penalty yards.

So, in my book, this game comes down to the team who does not turn the ball over or does it less. I tend to think NDSU is much better athletically both in starters and subs based on how bad they pasted many team that SDSU did not, but not sure this will matter......

Hammerhead
11-26-2012, 06:26 PM
So the Bison should win by 12 points (71 ÷ 6) which isn't that far from the score in the first matchup before the touchdown we gave up in garbage time.

THEsocalledfan
11-26-2012, 06:28 PM
So the Bison should win by 12 points (71 ÷ 6) which isn't that far from the score in the first matchup before the touchdown we gave up in garbage time.

Or lose by 7 points (15/2) based on top performing common teams.....

JustinTyem
11-26-2012, 11:18 PM
Well, much is being made of how tough the Jacks played NDSU a few short weeks ago. I have seen many folks posting different numbers, and it got me to thinking how did the teams did with common opponents:

Indiana State 10
SDSU 24

Indiana State 17
NDSU 14

Missouri St. 7
SDSU 17

Missouri St. 17
NDSU 21

So, point differential on this game is +6 for SDSU, running the overall to +23 for SDSU. This is also when this exercise gets fun!

UNI 27
SDSU 6

UNI 33
NDSU 21

So, point differential on this game is +33 for NDSU, flipping the overall to +10 for NDSU.
Youngstown 28
SDSU 41

Youngstown 7
NDSU 48

So, point differential on this game is +28 for NDSU, making the overall total +38 for NDSU.

SIU 12
SDSU 16

SIU 17
NDSU 23

So, point differential on this game is +2 for NDSU, making the overall total +40 for NDSU.

USD 8
SDSU 31

USD 0
NDSU 54

So, point differential on this game is +31 for NDSU, making the overall total a staggering +71 for NDSU, not including the win over SDSU. Granted, NDSU was on a seek and destroy mission for the USD game. I pity any fool that played them that week.

With all this said, I think we would all agree the top half of the league is much better than the rest. The common top tier opponents were Indiana St. and SIU. The point differential for those two games favors SDSU +15!

Observations:

1. It is clear NDSU really "played down" to Indiana St.'s level. They should have never lost that game and I am sure they would not have if not for the 2 pick 6's and the last interception.
2. If you look at the stats for the SDSU-UNI game, UNI only had 70 more yards of offense. The two things that standout for SDSU were two turnovers and more penalty yards.

So, in my book, this game comes down to the team who does not turn the ball over or does it less. I tend to think NDSU is much better athletically both in starters and subs based on how bad they pasted many team that SDSU did not, but not sure this will matter......Huh,When did this happend????

Honeybooboo
11-26-2012, 11:23 PM
Huh,When did this happend????

33+27-27=33

Get it

Ha ha now I edit this.....see what your saying now UNI is wrong

JustinTyem
11-26-2012, 11:39 PM
33+27-27=33

Get it

Ha ha now I edit this.....see what your saying now UNI is wrongWhat am I missing here???

TbonZach
11-26-2012, 11:44 PM
UNI 33
NDSU 21

What am I missing here???

The score is wrong. NDSU didn't lose to UNI.

EDIT: And the math is wrong from there on out.

EDIT 2: Original math was right (score was still transposed), I can't do math.*

*It's not like I'm accounting major or anything...

JustinTyem
11-26-2012, 11:57 PM
I was answering my own Question,What a idiot I am,LoL

BisonNation11
11-27-2012, 12:07 AM

Indiana State 10
SDSU 24

Indiana State 17
NDSU 14

Missouri St. 7
SDSU 17

Missouri St. 17
NDSU 21

UNI 27
SDSU 6

UNI 33
NDSU 21

Youngstown 28
SDSU 41

Youngstown 7
NDSU 48

SIU 12
SDSU 16

SIU 17
NDSU 23

USD 8
SDSU 31

USD 0
NDSU 54

Observations:

So, in my book, this game comes down to the team who does not turn the ball over or does it less. I tend to think NDSU is much better athletically both in starters and subs based on how bad they pasted many team that SDSU did not, but not sure this will matter......

Any idea if we played any games the week after SDSU did or visa versa? The reason I ask is did someone wear a team down and the next week the other took advantage and wiped the floor with them. Or did someone possibly overlook SDSU to concentrate more on knocking off #1 NDSU? Just something else to think about that really doesn't matter, but feel like knowing anyway.

THEsocalledfan
11-27-2012, 12:28 AM
The score is wrong. NDSU didn't lose to UNI.

EDIT: And the math is wrong from there on out.

It is not wrong. I transposed the scores. I have now fixed it. Please point out my error. SDSU lost by 21 and NDSU won by 12. +33

CAS4127
11-27-2012, 01:04 AM
I think we should just play the effing game-->but that's just what I think. I also think I will be surprised if we aren't in Frisco come January--but, again, that's just what I think. Just sayin'!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CaBisonFan
11-27-2012, 01:07 AM
Doesn't mean jack.

ThundarNation
11-27-2012, 02:37 AM
Doesn't mean jack.

Why the PURPLE font? IMO, comparing common opponents is like comparing when apples played bananas to when pears played bananas to determine the outcome of apples playing pears........too many 'other' factor involved (homefield, team health, weather -non-dome, ect...).

BisonNation11
11-27-2012, 02:42 AM
Why the PURPLE font? It's like comparing when apples played bananas to when pears played bananas to determine the outcome of apples playing pears........

Purple means he's being sarcastic

TbonZach
11-27-2012, 06:58 AM
It is not wrong. I transposed the scores. I have now fixed it. Please point out my error. SDSU lost by 21 and NDSU won by 12. +33

D'oh! Added an edit of the edit.

NDSUdonny
11-27-2012, 07:39 AM
NDSU 48, Youngstown 7
Youngstown 31, Pitt 17
Notre Dame 29, Pitt 26 3OT (help from refs)

Notre Dame in BCS Title game, YSU not in FCS Playoffs.

Comparative score argument doesn't mean sh**

NDSUBowler
11-27-2012, 10:33 AM
They don't mean much, but they are fun to look at still.

THEsocalledfan
11-27-2012, 12:40 PM
NDSU 48, Youngstown 7
Youngstown 31, Pitt 17

Guys, it is simply a way to pass time until game time. NDSUBowler has it right that it is fun to look at.

reformedUNDfan
11-27-2012, 12:47 PM
NDSU 48, Youngstown 7
Youngstown 31, Pitt 17

the transitive property becomes better (but nowhere near perfect) the more times you 'transitize' them. that's basically all the computers are, the average of all transitive properties between all the teams, resulting in a roughly predictive rating.

tony
11-27-2012, 12:59 PM
the transitive property becomes better (but nowhere near perfect) the more times you 'transitize' them that's basically all the computers are, the average of all transitive properties between all the teams, resulting in a roughly predictive rating.

^ this.

However, the motto for this week should be "Leave. No. Doubt."

gotts
11-27-2012, 03:07 PM
NDSU 48, Youngstown 7
Youngstown 31, Pitt 17

Wrong. It means NDSU over ND 75-7 in BCS title game.

BlueBisonRock
11-27-2012, 04:31 PM
They don't mean much, but they are fun to look at still.

Guys, it is simply a way to pass time until game time. NDSUBowler has it right that it is fun to look at.

I see your point, but prefer the look of the bikini thread.

ndsubisonx
11-27-2012, 04:46 PM
not to mention we will be closer to full strength then when we played them the first time. add in the playoff atmosphere and our coaching advantage. i think it is an advantage to us that we have played them already, not sdsu because of how good our coaches are at adjustments. at least with bohl and the defensive side. i think our defense steps up and dominates even more like it did last year in the playofs even with perry out. we win 24-10

Herd Mentality
11-27-2012, 08:06 PM
Don't forget to throw in the mix that both Youngstown and the Redbirds had two weeks to prepare for the Bison in those matchups. I have had two weeks to get all the booze out of my system from the regular season.

LikeMothers
11-27-2012, 09:10 PM
the transitive property becomes better (but nowhere near perfect) the more times you 'transitize' them. that's basically all the computers are, the average of all transitive properties between all the teams, resulting in a roughly predictive rating.

I just hope the Northern remains women-only.

NDSUdonny
11-27-2012, 11:07 PM
Wrong. It means NDSU over ND 75-7 in BCS title game.

So if Bama/UGA doesnt win the title game by at least 68, the Bison should be declared FBS champions! I like it.

1st&TennBison
11-27-2012, 11:26 PM
National Sports Rankings have NDSU winning 95 out of 100 by an average of 15 points.

BisonNeil
11-28-2012, 02:12 AM
not to mention we will be closer to full strength then when we played them the first time.

Explain to me how this is true.

Leevon is out, Schaetz is back but that is not an even trade.

Bruhn might be back.

So, considering Hinz, Perry, Jerve, and Heagle are completely gone for the season, how are the Bison closer to full strength then they were three weeks ago?

BisonNation11
11-28-2012, 02:16 AM

Bruhn might be back.

So, considering Hinz, Perry, Jerve, and Heagle are completely gone for the season, how are the Bison closer to full strength then they were three weeks ago?

Crockett, Olson, Turner, Bruhn, Emmanuel, Schaetz, Smith, Vraa, Grothmann, Jensen and everybody else that has been dinged up but couldn't rest on game day. Do you not feel rejuvenated after you go on vacation for a week?

bri-dog
11-28-2012, 02:22 AM

Bruhn might be back.

I'm not sure you can even count Leevon as playing last time, he was hurt the third play of the game...

ndsubisonx
11-28-2012, 02:24 AM
Crockett, Olson, Turner, Bruhn, Emmanuel, Schaetz, Smith, Vraa, Grothmann, Jensen and everybody else that has been dinged up but couldn't rest on game day. Do you not feel rejuvenated after you go on vacation for a week?

thanks for responding for me :)

BisonNation11
11-28-2012, 02:25 AM
I'm not sure you can even count Leevon as playing last time, he was hurt the third play of the game...

Which really, really sucks because even the plays he did come back in for, he destroyed either guard. He's so quick off the ball and has amazing push that will surely be missed.

BisonNation11
11-28-2012, 02:28 AM
thanks for responding for me :)

Sorry, I have a lot of free time on my hand! :biggrin: (Yes I'm down to one hand for awhile and no it's not busy doing anything else!)

ndsubisonx
11-28-2012, 02:29 AM
i didnt want to type it all out